Trail Blazer Ratings

Overall

About Trail Blazer

Trail Blazer is a fully integrated campaign management software package that provides industry-leading voter targeting tools. Enjoy top notch grassroots campaign support, voter management, contribution tracking, mobile canvassing, voter outreach, financial tracking, poll watching, GOTV, and FEC disclosure reporting -- all the tools to win your election. Plus, Mobile BaseCamp allows volunteers to look up voters, canvass door-to-door, record voter preferences and edit profiles in real time. Learn more about Trail Blazer

Jesse A.
Development Director
Think Tanks, 11-50 employees

“Little-known standout product!”

OverallGenerally good. It does what we need for a reasonable price, and with great support by the Trailblazer team. The downsides--remote Mac access, ugly interface, manual importing--are a hassle, but we're used to it.
ProsFantastic customer support. Pretty intuitive to navigate. The right level of features for my fundraising program--all the functionality I need, but not too much to clutter my dashboard or brain. Easy to train colleagues.
ConsQuite challenging to use on a Mac platform, which seems to be the predominant OS in educational/university settings and also among many non-profits. You have to use helper "remote connection" software even to reach the Trailblazer server, and then it looks and works like you're on a PC. Which leads to my other con: The interface is unimaginably ugly. Looks count, and most other CRMs are now clean and beautiful. Definitely affects the user experience to use attractive sites and software all day, but then to have to switch to early-'90s Windows land for database work. Also, Trailblazer doesn't work directly with the payment gateway required by the university where we're based. (Cybersource/Secure Acceptance) That means donations aren't entered automatically, but rather we have to import them manually. I see this as more of a limitation by our university than by Trailblazer, but it's still a hassle.
John H.
executive director
November 9, 2018

“Trail Blazer for Member based Nonprofits”

OverallOutstanding. I wish the vendors in other areas that I deal with were this committed to customer support and satisfaction.
ProsThe software has many features that have worked well for our group which is a membership based nonprofit. Over the few years that we have had it, the company has made substantial improvements on a continuing basis. However, the assumptions underlying the software's design and features must be a close match to your real world operations or you will likely need to adjust how you do some things to make the software work for you. However, the software is very adaptive, it has many features we need and quite a few we have not implemented. Also, and this is critical for us, the software support, training and consulting is worth every penny you pay for the annual license and more!
ConsThere are some issues but these are the nature of the beast with a product with so many features. One is the learning curve (although you can restrict access to certain features on a user by use basis to let them "grow" into the system). Another is that for a membership based system there are design assumptions that we have had to "work around" - but the programmers and tech support have been wonderful to make changes, tweaks and suggest alternative ways to get things done.
Dustin V.
District Director

“Trailblazer”

OverallI love TrailBlazer! It is the best single decision I've made for my non-profit in the past 10 years! The customer services is outstanding, and I love the system.
ProsIt does SO much! It is light-years beyond Excel and serves us better than any other online system that we've looked into! Everything we do can be exported to an Excel form, it tracks people, finances, events, emails, relationships and so much more. It is easy to use and navigate and keeps us organized. I can run thousands of reports and customize all of it to meet my needs. Training is easy to understand and straightforward.
ConsThe email creation tool could be easier to use for those not skilled in HTML. It can do a lot but it isn't drag-and-drop easy like other systesm.
Michele E.
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
November 2, 2018

“Trailblazer for Our Pro Life Nonprofit”

OverallNow that I've been using it for a while, I'm able to get things done very quickly and efficiently. I greatly appreciate the ability to sort donors into super specific groupings. Trailblazer has allowed me to segment my donor base with amazing flexibility, with just a few clicks.
ProsThe best thing about Trailblazer is the customer service. The guys are extremely accessible and helpful. They are willing to walk me through a process, or just do it for me - whichever I request. After trying two other donor management softwares that offered little or no help, Trailblazer's amazing service is a welcomed benefit.
ConsThe learning curve for Trailblazer is long. Therefore, whenever I wanted to do something new, I'd run into a wall. It seems like the first six months - at least - were pretty frustrating because there was always a glitch and I could never just get something done quickly. The glitch was in the training, not the software. I'd like to see a series of training videos that we could have our staff watch, in order, so that a general level of proficiency could be attained up front.
Jesse A.
January 7, 2015

“Good experience with Trail Blazer product and team”

ProsCustomer support, particularly during the training and start-up phase, has been excellent. They are quick and responsive. And their solutions have nearly always been positive -- almost never a "Sorry we can't do that" or "It doesn't work that way" or "We don't have that feature."
ConsIt was not clear to me before I signed on -- and I can't say whether it should have been clear -- that as a Mac user, Trail Blazer is "non-native" in the sense that I have to use Microsoft Remote Connection to access the Trailblazer server and then use a Windows interface. It's reasonably fast. There's almost no lag time with this setup, and it's not as clunky as it could be. But it makes the experience of using Trailblazer a lot less pleasant. I frankly hate the way Windows looks, acts, and feels, and the remote connection is a couple extra steps each time I use the database. The whole reason I use a Mac is so as not to use Windows!
Recommendations to other buyersI recommend the product itself highly, and it seems to me that it would meet the needs of small and large non-profits alike. One thing to be aware of is that TrailBlazer is designed for political campaign use equally as much as non-profit fundraising. There are customized versions for each -- for example, the non-profit version will call individual records "donors" rather than "voters" -- but there are definitely unavoidable intersections, for example record fields that are clearly contemplated as having political and campaign purposes. And all the support (e.g. the ample videos) refers to "voters" as much as "donors", so it can't be entirely avoided. The issue (for me anyway) is that I find political fundraising and campaigning pretty distasteful. The whole reason I'm in the non-profit sector is to do things I think are more socially important than winning elections and supporting politicians.
January 7, 2015
Kathy M.
bus admin & treasurer
November 2, 2018

“good donor management, but needs improvement on function”

OverallWe've had TB for 2 1/2 years and it has offered us improvements in various ways. Well worth the change for the additional cost. Tech support is fantastic (quick replies and helpful). Knowledge Base online also is helpful. Less glitches/problems with the software in 2018 than when we started in 2016. One issue I found this year that I reported and it was addressed/corrected soon after.
ProsAll the Attribute options to pull reports & labels and group for mass emails. Search options. Addition of gifts function in records and more.
ConsStill waiting for spell check icon/option to function in letter templates and mass emails. In letter templates can't wrap text around pictures; so there's wasted space around pictures.
Melissa H.
December 19, 2011

OverallWe use Trail Blazer much different than the intent for the software just because we think it works better the way we have it set up. We have adapted how the software currently functions to our needs. Therefore, we cannot go to Trail Blazer staff to do training on everything. When there are updates, our staff that aren't very tech-savvy sometimes have a tough time. When we do not have a lot of time for database maintenance in the first place due to budget constraints, it can be quite frustrating. Customer support is great, but we kind of have to bend a database to our needs and there is also a learning curve, mostly because nonprofits have to train not only staff who struggle with technology but also volunteers and interns. We appreciate that Trail Blazer is constantly striving to improve, but I would love to see a personalized email or call go out with big updates.

By Trail Blazer Campaign Services on January 18, 2013
At Trail Blazer, we are committed to the long-term development and refinement of our product. Our goal is to be nothing less than the software product of choice in the non-profit arena. Yes, the ongoing changes can at times be frustrating, but after the adjustments are made, the net result is a tool that allows you to be even more productive. The particular issue that presented a problem for NCPTC was the change in our attribute (aka groups or flags) facility. The original design allowed for any number of attributes within nine (9) folders. For many organizations, as their list of attributes within a specific folder grew longer, this eventually grew cumbersome. We enhanced this system so that now the data is stored and presented hierarchically where a folder can contain any number of folders or attributes, and those folders can contain any number of folders or attributes, ad infinitum. It's a far more flexible, logical, and powerful structure.
Tracey V.
Education Management, 1-10 employees

“Wonderful Product”

OverallVery positive. Customer Service has been EXCELLENT. You won't find a better team anywhere. I am a raving fan and I have used Blackbaud, DonorPerfect and many other fundraising or donor tracking software.
ProsTrailblazer is used for our non-profit. It is easy peasy to export the data you need. You don't need complicated codes or reports, you can access what you need quickly including event information & ticket sales. It does all we need and then some.
ConsThat it won't allow you to sell tables or golf foursomes and include the names of the guests. This needs to be revised and I submitted this request in October of 2018. You need to be willing to learn some coding to make the features work really well. The mobile piece needs to allow you to open a record and read notes etc. It isn't just for canvassing any more.
Barbara P.
Bookkeeper
Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees

“Good Starter program”

OverallWe are able to track donations by events and have a great database for marking!
Prosthe program is very easy to use for donation tracking and works well with Vanco for online donations and events
ConsNeeds some software improvements. Templates don't save the margins for envelopes and do not allow you to have a left sided letterhead. Extracting information for year end letters can be cumbersome but customer service is very good at helping out to get what you need.
Felecia M.
November 2, 2018

“A solution for nonprofits”

OverallWe have zero regrets working with Trail Blazer.
ProsAs a nonprofits that tracks donations, volunteer hours, programs, events, and outcomes, Trail Blazer is easy to use for all individuals in our organization, and if affordable compared to most CRMs. We no longer use numerous excel spreadsheets to track information - rather we can look at the comprehensive pictures of people who are involved with our organizations. (IE Do they attend events, volunteer, and donate?) We also use Trail Blazer to house detailed and complex data to pull for reports. The support team is also very responsive, nice to speak with, and always willing to help immediately.
ConsBecause Trail Blazer was originally created for elections, you have to be creative on how you categorize and define certain data points. IE All individuals are called donors even if they don't donate. But if you can be flexible in how you define certain elements, it works great!
Joanne H.
May 6, 2015

“Help Desk Excellence - Trail Blazer Campaign Software ”

ProsAmazing tech support from incredibly patient people - can't say enough how important this is. Seamless integration with FEC for super easy electronic filing.
ConsI can't compare it to other software that does the same thing, but increased user-friendliness would be greatly appreciated by all. YouTube videos are helpful, but they, along with the knowledge base, don't make it easy to find what you need. Fortunately, tech support goes above and beyond. They could definitely use more developers to work on improvements or known issues.
Recommendations to other buyersMake sure you get trained on the software as much as possible. Having HTML background would be really helpful, as would SQL. This is not an accounting program, so make sure you have either another program like Quicken or an accountant as well. Similarly, while it has some strong email blast and measurement qualities, it will not have the ease of use of a Constant Contact or a MailChimp. It's strength is in its record-keeping for campaigns and for filing. I barely scratched the surface of what this software can do. It is not as customizable as, say, Salesforce, but you'll save a ton of money by not having to hire consultants to customize.
May 6, 2015
Charity S.
Primary/Secondary Education, Unspecified
February 11, 2015

“Trail Blazer was a perfect choice for my non-profit”

ProsWe are a small staff, and I am the only one with any experience (limited) with software like Trail Blazer. Trail Blazer is intuitive to use, and if I get stuck, I have software support at my fingertips through the support team at Trail Blazer, but also through step-by-step instructions on the site. The staff has been very helpful, and they get back to me right away, so I'm never stuck for long.
ConsThe software is a perfect fit for us, so I have not had a negative feeling toward anything specific. We have not yet rolled out all the functionality (web and event modules), but that is primarily because we are taking our time in learning one part of the software before moving to the next.
Recommendations to other buyersTake time for your data conversion. Much of our data was outdated, so we took extra time as a staff to clean up bad addresses and other information. In fact, we even hired a temp to assist me in reformatting the data based on Trail Blazer's recommended format. When our data was converted, it was seamless. I have come across a few duplicates, but they are very easy to rectify. As a staff, we evaluated three software options fully with demonstrations, asking many questions and talking with references. In the end, Trail Blazer rose to the top for the ease of use, the support structure, and the fact that we could make the transition without hidden costs or additional fees.
February 11, 2015
Scott F.
August 7, 2015

“Useful, affordable, flexible and improving ”

ProsThe customer support! That may sound silly, but having attempted support with other databases, this is the best. The people on the phone are VERY helpful. With the software itself, my favorite feature is how easy it is to have multiple log-ins all of staff can use and update the contacts with no access to financial and other confidential information.
ConsWhile improved and improving, I still find some of the backend items a challenge-- some HTML and SQL knowledge remains helpful.
Recommendations to other buyersBiggest mistake we made: we did not have a person dedicated to the transition from old database. Proper setup of any database is important and I feel a single person dedicated to overseeing the process is important.
August 7, 2015
Bekka B.
Development
November 2, 2018

“Totally satisfied - Outstanding customer service”

OverallSimply put this is a perfect data base system.
ProsWhile this database doesn't come with lots of pretty buttons to click, the staff at Trail Blazer walks you through every step of set up and is there for you - ongoing - within 2 rings of the phone and email response within the hour - every time. The system is robust.
ConsThere is nothing we dislike about this software.
Riley G.
2.5/5
June 12, 2014

“Good product, great support”

ProsTheir customer support definitely. It is always easy to get in touch with them, and they've developed an extremely helpful online bank with screenshot photos to easily walk you through the process.
ConsThe email system isn't set up the best. In order to get a professional-looking email, which we've gotten from other sources, we have to know how to code in the technical aspects. This isn't our strong suit and makes mass emailing difficult. It would also be much simpler if it could interface with our accounting software (Peachtree). We wouldn't have to do a lot of the duplicate work recording donations and such. Additionally, it would be very helpful if the notification feature could send an email to the responsible party and not just notify their Trail Blazer account.
Recommendations to other buyersParticipate in free trials, previews, or guided tours of the software to get a feel if it's right for you. Check to see if your accounting software will be compatible with it.

By Trail Blazer Campaign Services on December 30, 2014
Trail Blazer has addressed this email building concern. In October of 2014, Trail Blazer added an entirely new mass email editor called CK Editor. Now, it¿s far easier for customers to create their own mass emails than before. It has been well received by our customers.
June 12, 2014
Miranda D.
Continuous Improvement Coordinator
Environmental Services, 11-50 employees
May 2, 2017

“Trail Blazer is GREAT!”

OverallI love this product!
Pros- The Customer Service is #1! They really do answer within three rings and they will walk you through any issues, big or small. - The interface is simple, clean, and pretty easy to use after a few tutorials/instructions.
Cons- It's not cloud based, but do your really need it? Only consider a cloud system if you REALLY need it. Otherwise you paying for something you barely use.

By Trail Blazer Campaign Services on May 19, 2017
Trail Blazer is a cloud based client-server software package. Your donor data is stored securely in the cloud on our servers. You access your data using the Trail Blazer client application that runs on your PC. If you are using a non-Windows machine (i.e. phone, tablet, Mac) our application is served using Remote Desktop Connection. Plus, Trail Blazer gives you a web app that allows you to access portions of the database from any devices connected to the internet.
May 2, 2017
November 2, 2018

“Could be more user-friendly”

OverallDonor management and email blasts.
ProsThe mobile app and the support from the staff.
ConsIt feels "clunky" and probably was not the best software choice for our industry application since it was created for political campaigns. I'd also like to be able to categorize people into "donors", "adopters", "media", etc.

By Trail Blazer Campaign Services on November 16, 2018
In regards to your need to categorize custom lists/contact types, that's one of our main specialties. You can utilize the attribute tree to create unlimited "tags" or sub-groups, which are easily searchable. This article walks through the steps (but please call us if you need a hand): https://trailblz.com/kb/?action=view&kb=182&cat=0&qq=attribute You can also customize many labels throughout the system, so if something is political in nature by default, you may very well be able to change it as needed: https://trailblz.com/kb/?action=view&kb=60&cat=0&qq=label
Joanne H.
November 4, 2013

“Trailblazer - it's the tech support that makes it work.”

OverallI used Salesforce for non-profits in the past, and, although the software was free, we spent thousands and thousands in customization and tech support. Trailblazer (which I use for a different organization), by contrast, is a bargain, primarily because of their live tech support. There is simply no replacement for Mark, Kevin, Joel, Pat, and the team that, essentially, keeps us up and running. They are quick to pick up the phone, quick to respond to your problem, and ENDLESSLY patient. While the user interface leaves much to be desired, and I am often wishing that multi-step tasks could be simplified, it's a really powerful program that, once learned, does the trick. Certainly, if you're running a political action committee, it makes sense only to use software like Trailblazer, which makes filing FEC reports a cinch. And while it may not have one or two third-party APIs I might like, it does work seamlessly with our credit card processing company, so that donations go right into our database. If the company invested more resources in development, I'm sure they could make the product easier/better to use. But isn't that true of all software, especially databases?
November 4, 2013
Laura P.
January 4, 2013

OverallWe have been disappointed by the system thus far as we are a MAC/Apple office - the smaller screen and need for Remote Desktop App is cumbersome and frustrating. When I did the demo at home on my PC it was crisp, clear and easy to navigate. We might have made a different choice if I had used the demo on my MAC. Great customer support - they really do answer by the second ring and they don't give up until you are satisfied. In the first week, I must have called 10 times - Joel and all of the folks were helpful, polite and informed. I think it is a great system that can do a wide variety of things - our challenge now is to dedicate a staff person who will be responsible for learning all of the "bells and whistles" and making it worth the money invested.

By Trail Blazer Campaign Services on January 11, 2013
This points to a deficiency in our documentation. We have since updated our documentation and contacted Laura. If you select ¿View¿ from the Remote Desktop Client (RDC) menu bar and choose ¿full screen,¿ the Trail Blazer window will occupy the full physical screen, and you¿ll get the image clarity Laura referred to.
January 4, 2013
Matt C.
Director of Admissions
Higher Education, Unspecified
September 15, 2015

“Trail Blazer: great product and great customer service”

ProsWe had been using an expensive product that was unreliable and very touchy, and charged a fortune for tech support. Unfortunately, we were so invested data-wise that change was fearful - until that last problem pushed us over the edge. Trail Blazer meets our needs with none of the issues the other product gave us. We have been impressed with the customer support in both the sales and the tech support arenas. We are happy with Trail Blazer. It is affordable donor management.
ConsWe are pretty heavily customized. There were some challenges getting set up and it took longer than we anticipated. But this had more to do with our data and needs than it did with Trail Blazer.
Recommendations to other buyersSoftware Advice listened to my specific needs and suggested three vendors to try. The agent listened carefully and took a creative path since nothing did exactly what I wanted it to do. I looked at all the options and chose the one that met our needs. Software Advice did a lot of the homework and saved me time and money.
September 15, 2015
Miranda D.
Continuous Improvement Coordinator
Environmental Services, 11-50 employees
March 21, 2018

“Trail Blazer is intimate and helpful”

OverallThis is a solid product, and they are constantly upgrading the software to look neater, work faster, and become more customizable.
ProsTrailBlazer is a small company that treats its customers like family. Their customer support picks up every time I call and they are incredible helpful no matter what question I ask.
ConsThe platform is not cloud-based, but this is fine for small organizations. We loved the customization that is available, though some of the features are not very intuitive and taking longer than anticipated to setup.

By Trail Blazer Campaign Services on March 26, 2018
Trail Blazer is a cloud-based client-server software package. Your donor data is stored securely in the cloud on our dual mirrored servers. You access your data using the Trail Blazer client application that runs on your PC. If you are using a Mac, our application is served up using Remote Desktop Connection. Plus, Trail Blazer provides a free app called Mobile Base Camp that allows you to access portions of the database from any iPhone or Android phone.
March 21, 2018
Dennis E.
Vice-President/Treasurer
Fine Art, 51-200 employees
May 18, 2017

“Very Happy With Our Decision ”

ProsThe customer service is outstanding, always available and quick to respond. We're finding the features easy to learn and navigate, and our first try at a donor renewal mailing went off without a hitch.
ConsWould like to have the ability to record a person's name along with the company they represent in a donor record more easily. They have patched together a solution for us that remains a little awkward in searching records and mail merging.
May 18, 2017
Mildred R.
Consultant
May 21, 2015

“Used it for two years”

Prosthe customer support and ease of using the software. It's easy to find all the data
Consthat it doesn't have a connection to a general ledger
Recommendations to other buyersTry it out to see if it does what you need. Test it out with some sample data .
May 21, 2015
Entertainment, 11-50 employees
November 9, 2018

“Bare bones, but affordable”

ProsThe price, it's a fraction of other CRMs. The support generally is very good as well
ConsIt's not very intuitive to use, time-consuming, and does not sync with Constant Contact or other major e-mail service.
Sam R.
January 17, 2013

OverallOperation Rebirth is a Christian Boarding School ministering to boys and their families for 37 years. Before purchasing Trail Blazer, we used several different programs to track donations, maintain mailing lists and communicate with our supporters. Now all of of our information resides in one, easy to use database that can be accessed by any of our staff at anytime, in the office or from remote locations. The implementation of the database took very little time- we were up and running on Trail Blazer the very first day. While we are still learning to fully use Trail Blazer, it has already allowed us to track campaigns effectively and communicate with our donors instantly! Their customer support is excellent from the simplest questions to the most complex issues they are patient and yet quick to help.
January 17, 2013
Jennie D.
Director of Communications and Development
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
November 13, 2018

“Trail Blazer gives me back my time.”

OverallIt has really helped me keep better track of campaigns and LYBUNTs. Mailing is a lot easier now as well. It has automated several things that have helped me spend more time working on what matters.
ProsThe Trail Blazer team is so helpful and getting started is so easy. It is easy to search for the information I need.
ConsThere have been a few things that have been hard to do find to edit.
Linda H.
Director of Development & Marketing
11-50 employees
April 28, 2017

“While we are still learning the various functions and tweaking our data in Trail Blazer we have high hopes that this platform will serve us well. ”

ProsThat we can have all of our information on one data base which will make it much easier in tracking potential donors.
ConsThere are a few features that we would still like to have for our education departments and events and we have spent hours cleaning up the data base once it was transferred over to match with the Trail Blazer system while meeting our needs.
April 28, 2017
Lee N.
Development Specialist
January 27, 2016

“Awesome contact management system, communication, events and more! ”

OverallNot having any coding experience I thought it might be difficult to use HOWEVER, the customer service is AWESOME! They created our first template for us and it was exactly what we had envisioned. They have a quick turnaround on any email (Joel!) and are always available by phone (Kevin)! The you tube videos are helpful too with the graphics as I am a visual learner. We have several upcoming events and look forward to using the event portion of the system. As I said we are still in the learning curve but so far it has been a positive experience. With so many programs available and us being a new nonprofit it's hard to know which one to go with- I'm glad we chose TrailBlazer.
January 27, 2016
Chris S.
September 18, 2014

“Traiblazer rocks!”

ProsThe expandable and editable search function is a great tool. Also, the Thank You letter mass printing option is a big time saver. Coming from Salsa to Trailblazer, I am very happy with the upgraded database and tools, and for a fraction of the price!
ConsFor Mac, the remote desktop is a little slow at times, and saving files to the local computer takes a few extra steps. It's not a major problem though.
Recommendations to other buyersDo as many trials and demonstrations as you can! There are a lot of CRM programs out there, and getting your hands dirty playing with them is how you figure out what you really need.
September 18, 2014
Rut N.
November 22, 2011

OverallCornerHouse is a non-profit that conducts forensic interviews of abused children, teens and vulnerable adults. TrailBlazer Non-Profit Manager holds information of our donors, volunteers, colleagues, referents and more. The database allows us to distinguish between the groups, and the different relationships we have with them. This allows for specified donor drives, email campaigns, and more. Customer support has been amazing: always helpful, always friendly, and always available. The online tutorials are very good at teaching you the basics and then getting you into more specific areas. The staff is very patient if you have to ask the same question multiple times. We truly recommend TrailBlazer Non-Profit Manager!!!
November 22, 2011
Jeri J.
January 11, 2017

“Best customer service”

OverallWe've used Trail Blazer for the past year and the customer service is incredible. I watched all the tutorials but anytime I had a question or I couldn't figure out something TB staff would reply to my email within minutes of sending the request. The TB system is robust and allows you to streamline all of your donors, grantors, volunteers and events in one place. It is easy to use and if you are stuck on something there are many tutorials and FAQ pages to help you out, and if that fails the customer service will get you on track. Great company to work with.
January 11, 2017
Susan M.
Fine Art, Self-employed
December 23, 2014

“Much more user-friendly than eTap!”

ProsThe customer support is flawless. These folks really want to ensure the best experience possible.
ConsIt isn't as easy to set up as we'd hoped, and we are not able to set up class registration very well. We also need reserved seating, which they don't offer.
Recommendations to other buyersBe clear on what you need and ask lots of questions. Do as many demos as possible so you can see which software fits your needs and your skills best.

By Trail Blazer Campaign Services on May 5, 2017
It was true that in December 2014 Trail Blazer¿s software did not offer reserved seating functions. However in September 2015 reserved seating functions were added on the desktop version, and on the mobile phone. Attendees can reserve the seat(s) they want and the price bracket (i.e. child, adult, senior, non-member, member, etc.) easily from their smartphone or our free web forms
December 23, 2014
April B.
December 24, 2014

“Great service and company!”

ProsThe customer service is awesome, and there is always someone available to help.
ConsThe system has a pretty steep learning curve if you aren't used to databases, and the basic word processor to create a physical letter or receipt for donors is pretty limited.
Recommendations to other buyersI think the initial summaries are helpful, but honestly, a month trial would have been more useful to see the working system and what your needs are. This is a great priced database and customer service, but again, it has been a process to learn and continue.
December 24, 2014
Rebecca W.
Fine Art, Unspecified
September 16, 2014

“Good product for the money”

ProsThe price is great. The customer service is very prompt and generally helpful.
ConsIt can be very time consuming to maintain data integrity.
Recommendations to other buyersTrail Blazer is certainly geared more towards political organizations. We're a non-profit theatre and in many ways have had to shoehorn our data in ways that doesn't make a ton of sense. We don't sell our own tickets to most productions. If we did, there's no way we could use Trail Blazer. But for the money, and as long as you've got someone who can be dedicated and is data savvy, this can work for you.
September 16, 2014
Lynn W.
Treasurer
March 2, 2011

“Treasurer”

OverallThis product is easy to use even for those who dont use software. But the most outstanding feature is the customer support; no question is too small, or even strange. They take their time and dont rush through. I had a customer support person on the phone for 2 plus hours as we worked out a problem that really wasnt theirs. They are a great group of people to work with. I would suggest this produce to anyone needing software to deal with FEC filings and all other things related with the election process. Thank you for making my job easier.
ProsThe ease of use. The customer support.
ConsSome processes seemed redundant
March 2, 2011
Julie D.
Fine Art, Unspecified
September 9, 2014

“TrailBlazer Review”

ProsGreat support. It serves our purposes for a reasonable price. It's easy to connect to online activities.
ConsWe have downloaded it to our system because our IT folks do not trust that the TrailBlazer firewall will protect our donors. I would prefer to have online access to the system but have to be at my desk at work to access it at this time.
Recommendations to other buyersCheck out a couple systems, and make the best decision for you, but get a database no matter what!
September 9, 2014
Monica T.
Director of Operations and Donor Relations

“Awesome company”

OverallI highly recommend Trail Blazer to any non-profit! The capabilities of the system are incredible and the support from the staff/team is unbeatable.
ProsTrailblazer can do just about any data tracking you need. The program allows you to query a million different things so you can get the right donor list.
ConsNot always the easiest system to use. Thank God for the support team. Everyone is helpful and goes above and beyond to help and answer questions.
Jen Z.
December 12, 2011

OverallI work for a small nonprofit organization with limited staff capacity. We have used Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager for several years. It has worked great for us. We are able to efficiently manage donors and contributions, run reports and queries, send e-blasts and generate other correspondence, track contacts, while sorting contacts into groups. The customer service is excellent and we appreciate that they have a local office where people actually answer the phone. There is also a large help center with videos, webinars, and access 24/7 to my questions.
December 12, 2011
Mary L.
Development Director
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
November 12, 2018

“Trail Blazer review”

OverallAlso, I haven't had time to really learn the program, so I end up forgetting how to use the software between sessions. It is not super intuitive and can be difficult to use.
ProsThe staff are super helpful. I would like it to perform as our donor management tool, but we haven't gotten to that point yet.
ConsHonestly, this platform has been difficult for me because I have a MAC and it doesn't translate well. I have had a hard time using the features because of that.
November 12, 2018
Chris S.
Webmaster / Tech guy / ...
June 9, 2015

“You guys rock! No nonsense powerful software and great support = You guys rock!”

OverallWhile the interface has a steeper learning curve some other programs, it allows for much more customization and analysis than the other programs I have played with. The support staff (Kevin) is lightning fast to respond to any issue or question. I have been using Trailblazer for almost a year now, and can't imagine switching to another database.
June 9, 2015
Sally N.
director
October 22, 2009

“Awesome Product”

Overallhighly recommend for anyone working in political campaigns.
Proseasy to use and allows unlimited data to be stored. easy interface with louisiana's voter files. customer service is amazing. if they don't have what you need, they will create it for you.
Consnone that i can think of. if i could, they'd fix it.

By Trail Blazer Campaign Services on June 10, 2010
Thanks!!
October 22, 2009
Maggie O.
Camapign Manager
October 21, 2009

“Review Title”

OverallI have and will continue to recommend TB to anyone and everyone. The ease of FEC filing and searchable fields makes TB better then anyone else out there.
ProsA great campaign tool for any size team. The uploads are easy, mass emails are fairly easy and support staff is the best.
ConsThe difficulty is HTML emails with photos is a challenge.
October 21, 2009
Laura G.
October 28, 2015

“Robust donor management with excellent Customer Support!”

OverallOur agency has only scratched the surface of Trail Blazer's functionality, but found it to be an effective tool for our fundraising needs. Client support is top-notch; I never had to wait more than a few minutes for help navigating the system.
October 28, 2015
Katheen C.
Board Secretary
November 28, 2011

“Beginning user”

OverallI would recommend it period.
ProsI have found Trail Blazer to be easy to use right out of the box. There is still a long learning curve but their customer service and knowledge support is great.
ConsNon that I have come across so far.
November 28, 2011
Graciela T.
May 29, 2013

OverallWe are very pleased with the product and with the support we have gotten from the team. Although the learning curve is pretty steep, the product is fantastic. Thank you for your help.
May 29, 2013
Erica T.
Director of Development
September 20, 2016

“Trailblazer is Great!”

ProsThe customer service is amazing. They answer all questions over the phone and via email. They are very helpful and fast.
ConsI do not have a complaint. Both the product and the vendor are great.
Recommendations to other buyersMake sure that others in your organization are on board with the training
September 20, 2016
Tomm H.
October 3, 2013

“Definitely Recommend it”

OverallThe software is extremely simple to use, versatile to different needs, and is easy to integrate to the internet. Definitely a two thumbs up recommendation
October 3, 2013
Thomas C.
Treasurer
October 19, 2009

“I don't know what this title things means”

OverallWould buy again if given the choice.
ProsVery easy to install. Pretty intuitive use
ConsNothing really of significance that I have noted.
October 19, 2009
Joann F.
Fund Development Director
Civic & Social Organization, 201-500 employees
December 19, 2017

“Not as easy or intuitive as it sounded.”

OverallIt seems like their transition from political campaigns to non-profits is still missing important elements.
ProsReally good customer support. Very capable people who respond quickly and with precise information.
ConsNo stats for like-users. No pre-paked campaigns such as Year-End Drive. Missing important features.
December 19, 2017
Ryan C.
Religious Institutions, Self-employed
October 8, 2016

“Awesome product”

OverallMakes managing the small stuff that much easier. It seems to specifically target non profit organizations and assist them with accounting stuff that the average Joe can't understand.
October 8, 2016