RescueTime Ratings

Overall
4.6/5
4.6/5

About RescueTime

Web-based time management and analytics tool for workers who want to be more efficient and productive. Prevents distractions and possibilities of becoming scattered in your digital life. RescueTime helps you understand daily habits so you can focus and be more productive. It runs securely in the background on your computer while keeping track of time spent on applications and websites giving you a clear depiction of your day. Learn more about RescueTime

Financial Services, 1-10 employees
September 20, 2019

“ Bottom-Up Objectivity Yields No-brainer Accountability”

OverallAbout 4 years into my business I took on outside investors. Both as a good-faith external gesture as well as internally-focused improvement, undertook a whole series of policy and operational changes to increase transparency and allow people to hold themselves accountable. One small part of these efforts was rescuetime, which 10 years later is ironically is the only single-decision that was 100% correct then and now. We use their data as inputs to all sorts of other business processes, both weekly and for year-end reviews. I recommend it constantly, it truly is a no-brainer because as long as you can install software and spend more than a couple hours a day on computers/phones, you will get value out of it... not just immediately but over time.
ProsNo brainer- install it with no configuration, and you instantly get personalized and valuable weekly reports. Works on windows/mac/linux/android/iphone so can be used by anyone in company or any external team. Excellent user-interface, very easy to customize to each user's specific goals if they choose to do so.
ConsThe phone-based apps didn't seem to automatically categorize calls w/known contacts. Sometimes if a given site hosted applications with two different goals/intentions/categories, this at minimum much trickier to track properly and
Nicolet G.
Eigenaar
Photography, 1-10 employees
June 30, 2019

“The only time management app that helps me take control of my time”

OverallI've spent significantly less time on social media since I implemented RescueTime in my system and, I now have a very detailed insight on how much time I spend on productive time. RescueTime helps me focus. I cannot recommend RescueTime enough.
ProsEven though it is not a time tracker in the sense of providing info to clients, I've chosen RescueTime over all other time management software. Why? Because it helps me focus, and it gives me a clear insight into how I spend my time, both online and offline. The best part: I hardly need to fill in anything, the app provides all the details of sites and apps I use on my computer and, my phone. It takes some time, in the beginning, to set things up; you have to teach the app what you consider very productive, productive, neutral, distractive, or very distractive. But, then, it gives a clear overview of your productivity on a daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly basis. As a pro-subscriber, I can also fill in time I did not spend on my computer. Besides: In RescueTime, I can set focus time; After spending more than one hour on distracting time during work hours, the app blocks all websites and apps I consider distracting.
ConsThe only thing I am missing is the possibility to assign work to projects and, clients. It would make it perfect!
June 30, 2019
Dan F.
Senior Systems Architect
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
March 13, 2019

“Consistently great, but dangerous for managers”

OverallI've used RescueTime for years. It's the ultimate in "set and forget" software. Essentially it sits on your computer and silently watches your productivity, totaling up the time you spend doing actual work and the time you spend goofing off. At the end of the week you get a nice little email report telling you how you did. It does a great job not shaming you when you do poorly, as I have many times. When you have a really productive week, however, it rewards you by documenting that fact.
ProsProvides a great little nudge to remind you that when you're on your computer working, you should, be, like, working... the free offering is excellent, allowing you do a semi-deep dive into your data, seeing what you're doing most and helping you improve
ConsThe software is great, and the portal too, but the thing I worry about most is this sort of thing getting in the hands of (bad) developer managers, who might use it to spy on their employees, firing the least "productive" ones. Truly, everyone needs a break now and then, so it worries me a bit that this powerful program could fall into the wrong hands. "With great power comes great responsibility", that sort of thing.. The other thing is the feature set has not changed much in recent years. Subtle improvements could go along way... for instance, I wish it could help me with is filling in my timesheet each week. Imagine if it could tell me which solutions i have open most often in VS Code, for example, and I could charge my time to each project.
March 13, 2019
Jessica B.
Operations Manager
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2018

“If I wasn't so cheap, I'd pay for it”

OverallWhile it's not the easy user experience to figure out, it's still a really helpful tool to reconstructing a day.
ProsIt's so helpful when recreating your day. We have to log every hour we spend, so we know what's billable and what's not, and some days I'm so all over the place I forget what I've done all day, so this helps me figure it out. It's also really nice that you can set your own designations for what's "productive" and what's "distracting." For most companies, Facebook would be "very distracting," but we actually do a lot of social media work for our clients, so it can be "productive" time for us. Just nice to have that flexibility. And the weekly emails are a nice reminder about how time adds up.
ConsFor a short period of time, I was able to use the "FocusTime" feature, which was awesome. I essentially turned off your access to programs or websites that were listed as "distracting." It pretty much stopped you from being your own enemy. I wish that was still part of the free version, b/c it was very helpful. Also, it's pretty clunky getting through the report of how you spent your time. You either have to look at it by category (Very Productive, Productive, Neutral, Distracting, Very Distracting) individually, or by task (Communication, Business, etc.), there's not just a way to see a full list of everything. And navigating between the different views isn't easy, but you get the hang of it.
August 15, 2018
Aaron R.
CTO
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees

“Frictionaless Time Tracking”

OverallI primarily use it to understand and track my own efficiency and make sure that what I am actually doing aligns with my strategic and operational directives.
ProsIt works in the background, I don't need to remember to turn it on or off. No need to disposition time regularly so it doesn't interfere with organic or non-linear workflows. I can go back and disposition all at once at the end of the day or very few days.
ConsUpdate frequency seems high and sometimes the update pop-up is intrusive.
Vinicius A.
Designer
August 25, 2019

“Grade your productivity”

OverallIt's free, and in the first week you will see the transformation it can make at your day job. You'll see where you are wasting too much time, and what you have to cut out in order to stop losing attention on what really matters. Tip for the development team: Please do, invest in design, the product is good and affordable, a good UI/UX project can bring a great perception of value.
ProsI was first introduced at rescue time by a work colleague, he was claiming that he could do pomodoro time, and in the end of the day he knew how much focused and productive he had been. I was curious out by this tool, so I start using it and became impressed in how simple and silent it was, it was just a icon occult in my taskbar. It demands only 3mb of pc memory and maps everything that I do. He is aware of the types of websites I'm accessing because he already has a database. However I had to edit some sites as research/work/etc. (like my company website).
ConsThe interface is ugly and outdated, but the use is so simple that maybe not the focus of development team. The information architecture and content at the dashboard page is the biggest problem, a simple redesign could do miracles.
August 25, 2019
Bryan M.
Product Director
Design, Unspecified
July 2, 2018

“My favorite solution for seeing where time is spent”

OverallEasiest way to track productivity and time spent across applications/categories.
ProsRescuetime automatically tracks and categorizes the activities of you and your team. It makes it easy to see what areas and applications you might be spending more time in than expected. The weekly report emails are great and the productivity score is a nice way to get a glance at productivity vs previous months.
ConsI would like if there was a different way to categorize specific files from different projects into projects within rescuetime. There may be a way to make a solution like this happen with the current features, but if I could tag certain portions of time towards specific projects it would give me further insight not only on the type of work I am doing (development, communication), but into the specific project that time was spent on. This is a small niche need though and it hasn't stopped me from using Rescuetime.
July 2, 2018
Junjie L.
Co-founder
March 5, 2018

“Track your productivity (or unproductivity) with email reports”

ProsRescueTime runs in the background of my computer, tracking every single minute that I spend on the computer. Because it has a huge and comprehensive database of apps and websites that it categorizes as productive or unproductive, it can automatically break down for me how much time I've spend in the day/week as productive (or not), and whether I've reached the goals that I've set up myself on the website. I love the email reports that they send to me, letting me know how much time I've actually spent on my work.
ConsThe included software on the Mac looks rudimentary, but it's not even something I have to deal with because it just runs in the background in the menu bar. It doesn't offer an option to hide the menu bar icon, so if that bothers you you'll need something like Bartender to hide it.
March 5, 2018
Michal L.
Assistant
Law Practice, 1-10 employees
July 20, 2017

“Great tool for staying productive”

OverallI have recommended this product to our attorneys. Great way to keep track of how much time you spend weekly on business related activities on your workstation.
ProsEasy to use: RescueTime is very intuitive and easy to use. Once it is downloaded and installed, it starts automatically. Easy to customize: It just takes a few clicks to tell RescueTime which activities are productive for your business. Weekly summary report: RescueTime doesn't blow up your inbox, but rather sends a weekly summary to help you keep your time spent on business on track. Tracks the user on multiple workstations: If you use more than one workstation, RescueTime will aggregate your time. Regular, easy updates: RescueTime updates come out regularly, and take a single click. Yay! Great value for the money: I use the FREE version, and it does what I need.
ConsI can't think of any cons. However, I have not use the paid version of RescueTime, so I don't know what features or benefits I am missing out on.
July 20, 2017
Erik P.
Director of Technology
Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees
June 18, 2018

“So that's where all my time goes ... writing software reviews.”

ProsI've been using the free version for some time now. It was really interesting at first, now I generally ignore it. But, I should probably take a look at my reports again to see how I'm doing. I'm impressed that it not only keeps track of time spent browsing different sites but time spent using local programs (Word, Excel, or even Remote Desktop, but not the specific usage on a remote computer). You can specify a category and how productive or distracting each website or program is. This is really helpful because a site could be productive for some people and distracting for others, depending on the type of work you do.
ConsSometimes I wish that it kept more history. I think it does if you pay for it. So, that makes sense. I just have it on my Windows desktop. I tried to add it to my android phone once and it didn't seem to work well. But, to be honest I didn't try very hard to get it setup.
June 18, 2018
Sean B.
Student
Computer Software, Self-employed
September 20, 2019

“Cannot recommend this enough. ”

OverallThis is the first thing I install in all my new machines and browsers, the information it provides is invaluable and really eye-opening, and really worth the low price-tag honestly. I really recommend this for anyone looking to improve their productivity.
ProsThe amount of information that this gathers is just mindblowing, being available on everything is just awesome. The automatic categorization for apps works most of the time. Then there are the vast amount of integrations it offers. This is the best time tracking software I have used, which just gets better with time.
ConsRe-categorizing activities is somewhat convoluted, I've had to bookmark the page honestly so I can get to it quickly. The focus sessions are a neat feature but it needs to be more robust as it is quite easy to circumvent.
Renewables & Environment, 11-50 employees
April 19, 2018

“RescueTime helps you manage the most limited resource you have.”

ProsI love that RescueTime is both easy to use, requiring very little setup, and also infinitely customizable, meaning that over time you can mold it to exactly what you want it to be doing. For instance, in tracking how productively you are using your time, it already knows that certain websites are distracting and certain ones are productive, but if your work requires you to spend some time on a specific "distracting" website, you can re-categorize it as needed to capture that.
ConsI have very few complaints about RescueTime. I feel like it does everything I need it to do. If anything, I wish the free version had more features, but I am more than happy to pay for the premium version to get the features I need.
April 19, 2018
Kevin F.
Consultant
Construction, Self-employed
August 21, 2018

“Identify & highlight distractions”

OverallI had experienced a drop in my income as a self-employed consultant. I felt that I was always busy, but was billing less, and this software made it clear to me that I was indeed busy all day, but on many distractions that were not contributing to income or projects, but were costing time and my energy. RescueTime put me back on track, and I have stayed there for the past two years. Savings/earnings are of the order per annum, I kid you not.
ProsThis software helped me to objectively and quantitatively identify which distractions were doing most damage to my daily income. By seeing it in front of me and putting against it, I was able to instantly cut those activities out completely or minimise them.
ConsNo cons, really. The software is unobtrusive, not pushy, it just does its thing well.
August 21, 2018
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
December 17, 2018

“Never realized how much time I was wasting! ”

OverallIt's been a great way to see a true summary of how I'm spending my time and ensure that I'm being mindful of my use of the internet. The accountability makes me more productive during work hours, because I want my weekly report to be positive!
ProsThe ability to sync across multiple devices - I use it on my work laptop, my personal laptop, and my mobile phone. This gives me a much clearer idea of how I'm spending my online life. I also like the weekly email that sums up my time logged, as well as the ability to recategorize certain apps. For example, I use Twitter for work, so I don't want it to count as "very distracting."
ConsI wish there was an easier way to note when I'm being productive vs. when I'm wasting time on the same app. Sometimes I use Instagram for work and sometimes I use it for pleasure, and there's no way I've found to differentiate the uses.
December 17, 2018
Iris H.
Concept Artist
Entertainment, Self-employed
September 7, 2018

“The stats will surprise you”

OverallDefinitely worth it.
ProsRescuetime has mostly helped me whittle down little time sinks that I was unaware of. For example, it turned out I spent 30 minutes a day selecting songs on iTunes; now I have a playlist on shuffle and do not actively use iTunes anymore to select my music during the work day. Rescuetime has often surprised me by showing stats being very different from how I perceived them. It can also be motivated to see a highly productive day unfolding and feeling competitive with yourself.
ConsCurrently Rescuetime cannot distinguish browser tabs in Firefox. Other apps like Timedoctor can, so I'm sure Rescuetime could fix this if they'd commit to it.
Kate G.
Digital Marketing Strategy
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
December 21, 2018

“Game Changing App If You Track Your Time Hourly”

OverallIt's a great way for me to track my time across different computers. I use it to make sure I'm recording all of my time in my daily time sheets that I use to bill clients at the end of the month.
ProsI really like that it's simple and efficient at tracking and grouping the time I spend online so that I can use that data to update my daily timesheets.
ConsIt would be great if it would group some of the time into more specific categories - it will just say "Adwords" and it would be great if they had the campaign number so I can see which client where I actually spent my time. That said, I use the free version so that feels like a crap compliant considering I use it all the time and it's free.
December 21, 2018
Collin B.
Assistant Professor
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
April 22, 2018

“Simple to use, takes a little bit of setup, but worth it”

OverallGood weekly reporting of time usage, with decent granularity. It's totally out of the way and does everything without me thinking about it now that I have all of my apps and regular websites categorized.
ProsIt's really easy to use and once you go through setting things up it takes no thought or effort. It just runs in the background and reports weekly. Knowing that it's running helps me stay on task.
ConsThe auto-categorization works okay, but I needed to spend a good chunk of time custom categorizing various apps and websites because it was throwing off my reporting. (But I AM glad that they at least allow you that option)
April 22, 2018
December 5, 2018

“A glance at productivity”

ProsThe ease of use and automated sorting buckets make it really easy to set up. I also love how seamlessly my account works between browsers and my two different computers. It makes me not have to worry about syncing data manually to prevent double-counting time.
ConsThere isn't much else you can do on the free tier of this product outside of seeing visualizations of usage. Though this is benefitial on its own, there were other pieces of software I needed to use in order to take action on the behavior I wanted to change/improve.
December 5, 2018
Tami G.
May 21, 2018

“Thank you Rescue Time for keeping me on track!”

Overallpeace of mind that I am on task and spending the right amount of time working
ProsI love the report that they send me each week, which shows how much time I have been spending on each task. Even better is that it was all set up for me, without me having to input anything extra. I like that it separates tasks into client work, and non-productive time and provide a visual chart graphic to help me really see how I am doing.
ConsI honestly can't think of anything I don't like! Since social media is both a business task and personal/entertainment it is hard to know 100% on that one category, but I don't think that is a fault of the software.
May 21, 2018
Joby I.
May 10, 2018

“Great way to make sure you stay on task ”

ProsJust works away in the background no intrusive at all rescue time just tracks what you are spending your time on day by day then sends you a report of how productive you have been. It's nice to have targets to aim at for your productivity and interesting to see actually how you spend the time on your laptop , with the reports this is pretty easy.
ConsSometimes it is easy to forget it there (which is good and bad) and therefore not stop procrastinating until its to late.
Computer Software, 501-1000 employees
October 3, 2018

“RescueTime lets me make sense of my work habits...”

OverallMy experience has been really positive. I love the data it gathers and it helps me to stay focused on getting things done.
ProsI love that I can set it and forget it. It will record my interactions with my computer in the background and keep a detailed log of what I'm doing. It lets me see trending on how I spend my work and leisure time, giving me a lot of insights into how I work. I also like that I can have it setup to run on multiple computers and it'll aggregate all of the data so if I move from one computer to another, it combines the data into one dashboard.
ConsNot really a con, I just sometimes forget about it and don't check my reports. It would be nice maybe if it had some notificatons to let me know that I should check in to see how I'm doing.
Yan F.
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
May 10, 2018

“Use it every day to understand how I spend my time ”

OverallHelps you to understand where your time flows.
ProsIt really helps to see on what one spend one's day - without much fuss, as it just work in background. To get a really thorough analysis, get the premium version and
ConsTo get clear picture you have paradoxically invest your time categorizing various activities. Plus it tends to underestimate your hard work in certain tasks - for example if you are doing research and have to google a lot.
Chelsee B.
Brand Strategist
March 7, 2018

“Fairly customizable even on the free plan”

ProsSeamlessly tracks my time and send me a weekly update to give me an idea of where I'm spending my time
ConsWhile you can generally customize the way different websites/programs are categorized, there isn't a way to do onetime categorization. Which means there isn't a way to differentiate between when you're, for instance, in Facebook for work (productive) versus scrolling endlessly through your timeline (distracting)
March 7, 2018
Mitch B.
Co-Founder
E-Learning, 1-10 employees
January 24, 2019

“Keeps me honest with screen time”

OverallI've been a Rescuetime user for years and don't see myself stopping anytime soon.
ProsEach week I take the report and show it to my accountability group, with the goal of decreasing my computer time week by week. Rescuetime makes it very easy to track and spot trends.
ConsNo cons that I can think of. Once I had categorized all of my different applications and activities it works well.
January 24, 2019
Internet, 1-10 employees

“Recuetime Review”

OverallRescuetime has made it easy to bill clients as I can show them the time spent on their projects. I also use it to evaluate the effectiveness of my team.
ProsThe software is just perfect for me. I aim to manage my time and Rescuetime makes that seamless.The daily and weekly reports help me to evaluate how I use my time. The software also has an affiliate program and thats beneficial to me as well.
ConsI have installed it on my iPhone but I can seem to be able to track my time use on the phone. I am also not sure if the software tracks time when the screen is off.
Adithya U.
Senior Software Engineer
Computer Software, 10,001+ employees
November 29, 2018

“Excellent tool to track your/employee productive time”

Pros* Great easy to setup tool to track all activities done in system. * Extremely accurate regarding the activities and time usage. * Excellent reporting to generate and analyze the pattern. * Can be used to track Employee productivity. * Not a privacy nightmare as many sensitive data is not captured. * Can be used to track our computer usage and help us to be more productive. * Supports mobile devices and linux,Mac as well.
Cons*Bit expensive for premium version/organization plans.
November 29, 2018
Flavio A.
Creative Director
Design, 1-10 employees

“Automatic Time Tracking”

OverallTime sheets and time tracking can be painful. RescueTime takes away the stress by working in the background to identify the tasks you're working on, which is great.
ProsEffortless time tracking with a 'set and forget' kind of approach. RescueTime works in the background to identify the tasks you're working on and provides insightful reports on productivity.
ConsIntegration with other systems would be invaluable as we've recently moved to a different solution that integrates with some of the other products we use internally.
Higher Education, 501-1000 employees
September 7, 2018

“What did I do all day?”

ProsUseful resource for seeing what online tasks consume our days. Nonintrusive, but monitors what windows and sites are open and consuming our time throughout the day. Very customizable --even on the free plans.
ConsInitially, putting your tasks into categories (productive, not productive, etc) as well as attaching meaning to your tasks (communication, news, work-related, personal, etc) can take a while, but it pays off in the end with more relevant reports at week's end.
June 14, 2018

“Essential for Telecommuters and anyone billing hourly ”

Overallability to see how focused i am from day to day.
Prosseamlessly integrates with all browsers. the same account can run on multiple machines. the default setup is pretty accurate and easy to customize to your productivity tendencies.
Consviewing trends over multiple years can be slow. Id love the ability to generate a lifetime report for view later.
June 14, 2018
Stephen S.
Attorney and Counselor at Law
Law Practice, Unspecified
March 19, 2018

“Affordable, Easy-to-Use Productivity and Time Tracking Solution”

OverallRescueTime allows me to keep tabs on my self essentially. I can see what I've been doing and how long I was doing it. Specifically, it allows me to see how much time I wasted on Facebook and how much time I spent working on a project.
ProsRescueTime requires little to no configuration or attention. You simply install it on your computer and/or install the various browser plugins and let it do its thing - tracking your activities and time.
ConsAs an analytics nerd, I would like to see RescueTime have even more tracking features and abilities. The one con that I will mention is having to specifically allow RescueTime to specifically track what is being done in certain websites/applications.
March 19, 2018
Jordan D.
Marketing Analytics Specialist
Marketing and Advertising, 51-200 employees
March 10, 2019

“Bought This After Hearing About It From Tim Ferris...”

ProsLike any productivity tool, I subscribed because I wanted to hold myself more accountable and analyze the applications and the websites that I visit from day to day. It's been amazing to see how much time I'm going through my emails and adjust based on how I want to make my workflow more productive. I love that the product is simple enough to set up and monitor my computer usage without any manual processes.
ConsThe availability of the tool without many videos or sources on how to get the most out of RescueTime. I'm still finding new ways to incorporate this in my workflow though.
March 10, 2019
Christian M.
Interface Analyst II
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees
November 3, 2018

“RescueTime is a sanity saver!”

OverallBeing a salaried employee working remotely, it's hard to track your time when your workload is constantly heavy and changing. Tracking how long I spend on certain applications and getting rid of distractions is so easy with RescueTime. It's not expensive at all for Premium and is worth every penny!
ProsI love the dashboard and how I can categorize each application to accurately track my time. I get an IFTTT e-mail every night telling me how long I worked.
ConsThere's nothing I don't like the least about the software.
November 3, 2018
Computer Software, Unspecified
June 20, 2018

“Great for small business owners & entrepreneurs”

ProsLove using RescueTime to quantify my computer usage. Gives me great metrics for productivity and works seamlessly in the background.
ConsNot much to not like, it does what it says it does. Would like more tools to improve productivity during the day as RescueTime is so invisible you forget its running.
June 20, 2018
David K.
Senior Product Specialist / Business Analyst
51-200 employees
May 8, 2018

“Surprisingly accurate and very insightful”

Overallgives great insight into your day and helps keep yourself in check from distractions!
ProsIt was easy to get set up and customize what behavior is considered valuable or not to my work day. It gave me a good personal metric to keep myself on track throughout my work week.
ConsNothing really, it delivers what it promises and even works on your desktop! I did not trying using this with a team and only used it personally, i imagine that with a team there are ways to beat the machine
May 8, 2018
Michal L.
First Assistant to the Director for Special Projects
Legal Services, Unspecified
May 7, 2018

“RescueTime lets me see how much "business" work I do each week.”

Pros1. Easy to use. 2. Easy to customize/configure to track the things I do. 3. I use the free version, which has great features for free. 4. Being competitive, I like to try and beat my previous week's score and be more productive.
ConsThere are few things I don't like about RescueTime. They have new versions out frequently, but the install is completely painless (does not require a computer restart), so it is a very minor inconvenience.
May 7, 2018
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
June 19, 2019

“Does what it says. Works in the background so you don't have to worry about it”

ProsEasy to set up and works in the background so you don't have to worry about it. It also adds data from your cell phone, which is critical to see how your time gets spent each day.
ConsReally, none that I can think of. I have been using it for many years, it's a keeper.
June 19, 2019
Yannick W.
Education Program Associate
Education Management, 1-10 employees
April 12, 2019

“Interesting Tool but doesn't always work”

Pros- very automated, install and forget about it - easy to see how productive you are and set goals
Cons- sometimes doesn't detect activity when it's happening, skewing results - sometimes not very good at identifying the nature of programs - privacy concerns
April 12, 2019
Matthieu B.
RM
March 11, 2018

“Great tool to passively track how you spend your time on the computer”

ProsAwesome to keep an eye on how you spend your time on your computer and get a report sent straight to your email with clear information.
ConsIt doesn't take into account your time spent on your smartphone on tablet, which would be great considering the mobile first mentality of these days.
March 11, 2018
Jovana V.
Writer
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
July 21, 2019

“Don't waste your time”

OverallI am glad I installed it, though I am not checking it regularly. But it helped me understand how I spend my time and how to be more productive.
ProsI am feeling that the time slips through my fingers and now I know where. This tool helped me monitor how I spend time -- how much time do I actually work and how much I am fooling around.
ConsMaybe they should improve the categorization and introduce a daily wrap up notification.
July 21, 2019
Sorin A.
Marketer
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
May 31, 2019

“Find where you're leaking time”

OverallI've used RescueTime to find out why I wasn't getting a lot of work done after work. After I've used it for about a week, the results were clear: YouTube was taking over hours and hours of my time. I started using it less and focused more on my writing, which gave me more pleasure anyway.
ProsOnce you set this up, it's so easy to forget about it. Few pieces of software actually encourage you to NOT use it. I really appreciated this. Only browser extension and another small installer for your operating system means you're ready to monitor your time very fast.
ConsThere aren't a lot of features to talk about. So it's hard to even call this a con. But perhaps other pieces of software that do similar things have more things to use. I would've like to be able to more specifically fine tune hours of operation, the software or websites it should monitor. Reports aren't amazing - at least in the free version. Overall it feels very barebones in the features department.
May 31, 2019
July 10, 2018

“RescueTime rescued my productivity!”

ProsI love how simple it is to use! It's very intuitive and has pretty rich data if you are curious to dig into how you focus and spend your time. It gave me a lot of information on how often I go back and forth between conversations and it helped me to start blocking my time and conquering the "big rocks" first.
ConsI wish the data visualization was a little bit more developed. It's pretty basic and just looks so next to other data visualization tools. Purely a design aesthetic thing that I think would improve the perception of this tool!
July 10, 2018
Barry B.
Assistant Buyer
July 31, 2018

“RescueTime runs in the background, it's customisable, you can set goals and you get weekly reports.”

ProsRescueTime helps you keep track of your browsing and the windows you're working on, therefore helping you with time management by creating tabs of time wasted, or tabs for productivity and it presents you with addressable actions. If you get the paid version and want the xtra help to refrain from distractions, in the paid version you can actually block websites that distract you.
ConsOccasionally RescueTime would misqualify sites I visit, but the incidence lowers the more frequent I visit them.
July 31, 2018
Illustrator
Arts and Crafts, Self-employed
April 21, 2019

“RescueTime ”

OverallFlawless, not intrusive with the workflow.
ProsJudges your performance with no bias, you can feel ashamed or motivated, but at the end of the day it pushes you to improve your workflow, get more value from your time.
ConsI have not stumbled upon any issues or errors. The only concern is that I am not sure where they use the collected data.
April 21, 2019
Computer Software, Self-employed
March 30, 2019

“Great tool to track your attention habits”

OverallUse this with care, as you should first be aware of what you want to measure.
ProsRescuetime tracks the time you spend in all your applications. It's a good tool to track your habits, as you see which applications you have used the most. After using this, you will have a report on where your attention went during the day. If you have never done the exercise of auditing yourself, give rescuetime a chance.
ConsI don't agree to the concept of 'tracking productivity'. The fact that you use an application will not tell you if you are or not more productive, as this tool (or any other) cannot measure the value that you produce. It goes worse with the "organizations" version available, where managers can see the aggregate time of its employees. But it's still useful if you are struggling with your attention and you think that it's going to somewhere it shouldn't.
March 30, 2019
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
January 14, 2019

“If you aren't tracking your work , you are wasting time.”

ProsRescueTime is one of a kind app that - once installed - keeps track of all activities you do on your machine. Later it sends you a beautiful summary of where you spent time, where you wasted time and more.
ConsFrankly none. We didn't really find any thing in RescueTime which can qualify as a cons. It is 10/10 from us.
Computer Games, Unspecified
May 11, 2018

“Great for freelancers and time-conscious people”

ProsRescueTime is amazing for tracking your own time. Freelancers and consultants can use it to stay time conscious. Individuals can be more conscientious.
ConsNot many downsides! The software looks and feels a little clunky, and I wish you had more flexibility with the reporting and activity summaries.
May 11, 2018
BJ N.
Software Engineer
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
May 15, 2019

“Great app for making you aware of how much time you waste”

OverallThis app definitely increased my productivity. If you have a hard time staying focused while on a computer, I'd recommend this!
ProsNot only are the categories already extremely thorough, but the ability to create your own categories is just awesome! I only used this app for about 6 months before I stopped, not because I didn't like it, but because I got everything I needed out of it: Better time management skills.
ConsThis is not the app's fault (goes for any app meant to help build habits or increase productivity): For the first week or so, there was a lot of "setting up" before it started working for me. You had to categorize each site you went to so that it could build up a dictionary/library and give you metrics. Like I said though, the app does it well, it's just tedious at the beginning.
May 15, 2019
1001-5000 employees
June 30, 2018

“Use it understand where my time goes. ”

OverallOverall: An eye-opener or me and for many people
ProsThis software requires no set up at all. Everything is done automagically. Later, if needed, you can re-categorize some tasks. For example, if you are searching candidates in social networks you can tag this time as productive.
ConsCons: Nothing really. Sometimes it is hard to see the picture of your time habits with a helicopter view, as this software tends to focus on large tasks.
June 30, 2018
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
July 25, 2019

“No-frills productivity reporting”

ProsExtremely easy to set up. Runs in the background with no issues and sends great reports.
ConsIt lacks customization in what it considers for each category. Some job roles require using platforms which are considered less productive by default.
July 25, 2019
Retail, 1001-5000 employees

“Control”

ProsGetting the stats of what I do on a daily basis was just what I needed to have it all controlled. I love how I can see how much I spend on each site. The reports are also very helpful.
ConsI just haven't found a con I can talk about.