FastDUCT Ratings

Overall
4.7/5
4.6/5
4.9/5

About FastDUCT

Ready-to-go HVAC and duct estimating software designed to meet the needs of commercial & industrial sheet metal contractors. Features onscreen takeoff of rectangular, round, and oval duct for contractors who do fabrication and/or HVAC installation. Our database is complete with products, pricing and labor information. FastEST provides online training, customer support, database updates, and program upgrades Learn more about FastDUCT

Steve B.
Senior Estimator
Construction, 51-200 employees
June 9, 2017

“FastEst is ALL you need. ”

OverallGreat product, great service. Non-complicated, in less than an hour, you will be building an estimate.
ProsI have used several different "top brand" programs during my ongoing 30 yr career as an MP estimator and project manager. Programs that varies in the ranges, from digitizer to on screen take off. The pipe & duct programs are so easy to use, you almost wonder - can this be true. We're programmed to work harder, not smarter. FastEst changes all that. Estimating efficiency and accuracy is what FastEst provides for me, not to mention the affordable price and options you can select for your particular needs. The other very, very important selling point is that when I have an issue and call the help line.....the person who answers the phone helps you right then - your issue is resolved. NONE of the competition does that, you place your call, they take your info then hopefully someone calls you back timely. FastEst customer service is the best.
ConsThat my competitors may discover FastEst....... I'd like to push one button for the material price updates and be done. Currently we get our materials quoted anyway as most of our bids are sizable.
June 9, 2017
Vern W.
February 8, 2016

“I am an Estimator with 35 years of practice, all types of programs”

ProsEase of learning. Comprehensive materials price service provided. Availability to many industry standard labor data bases and accuracy of Fast Est Materials labor data. Assemblies, Reports available exportable to Excel. Ability to import data from other takeoff. Ability to copy plans from Fast pipe to Fast duct or vice versa, saving time for job setup, Customizable Bid workbook to fit company needs, Ability to feed into combined Pipe and Duct workbook from either Fast Pipe or Fast Duct program, Takeoff tools within program, ability to replicate visuals and paste for repeated patterns, Scaling options great Customer support is the best I have ever experienced Cost of programs and yearly support fees are very competitive. Absolute best bang for the buck. Ease of copying take for show and tell purposes Program is entirely flexible to be used in network configuration or stand alone.
ConsNothing to not like. The product is the best software I've used in my career.
Recommendations to other buyersKey is using trades people for your estimating team. They need to have a medium level of computer literacy. This program is user friendly allowing tradesmen to takeoff and apply their intuition as they develop their estimate. Its easy to create takeoff methodologies that allow for fast executive review of estimates. Key element is to have everyone in the company using the reporting workbook tool. Commitment of management to using the entire program tool set is important. This eliminates errors of human transposition of data (to another old standard company spreadsheet) Time saving is enormous.
February 8, 2016
Chuck Z.
August 23, 2012

OverallWhen I first looked into FastEST products in 1997, there were plenty of other options out there. Over time, we have watched those competing companies get bought out, merge with others and some go out of business altogether. Accuracy is a big concern when it comes to estimating in general. With the high pressure to kick out large volumes of estimates, mistakes are easy to make and in some cases, cost people their businesses. FastEST provides a high level of transparency in their products, making it very easy for managers to review estimates before they are sent out. All of the data is exported to excel where it can be analyzed, cut and diced into manageable chunks and quickly compared to historical data. Many other programs claim to do this, but are not as seamless. We are fortunate to belong to several trade organizations and had the opportunity to ask our competitors what programs they were using. We were amazed to find out they had spent thousands of dollars on other programs and never made it to full implementation. After talking with these people the reason why became more and more apparent. If it is not intuitive and easy to understand, it will simply not get used. Many estimators are brought up through the ranks in the field, into the office and expected to understand computers. FastEST shines in the power of simplicity. While most other programs require a week training or more, we can have someone up and going in a matter of a few hours. The interface is very user-friendly. When its crunch time a call back or a response to an email is too long to wait! Although I would have to say emergencies have been quite rare with the program, when issues have arisen, a quick phone call and the support staff will get you back on your feet. Like anyone that knows what they are doing, they make it look easy and they are almost always done in a matter of minutes. Other programs we have used require an email to be sent before you are even placed in the queue. In 1997 when I first started using the program, we were doing strip malls and gas stations. We now use the program to estimate all manner of public and medical facilities well into the ten million dollar range. This is a product that can help you grow your business and grow with your business. We have been fortunate to have FastEST as a partner in our business and contribute much of our success to the power of the program.
August 23, 2012
Jeffrey G.
Estimator / Designer for Plumbing & Hvac
Construction, Self-employed
August 15, 2017

“Best in Industry, in my opinion”

OverallI believe this is the highest quality estimating system you can buy. The support is awesome, problems resolved within an hour at most. easy to learn... I could go on but at a minimum give theses guys a chance if you are looking to buy a system.
ProsThis program allows me to estimate with speed and confidence. I have the right material and labor every time. Great for young estimators and old dogs like me. Packed with everything I need and lots of features. With this program I can tackle any project that comes my way. I can't tell you how impressed I am without you thinking I work for the company. But the truth is the truth and this program is the best I ever used.
ConsIf it was only FREE but I digress. It would be nice to have more mark up functions such as clouding.
August 15, 2017
Jack O.
May 24, 2019

“5280 Plumbing Inc. Denver, Colorado”

OverallCustomer Support is AWESOME! They will take all the time necessary to help you. Very respectful. I had an issue on a weekend. Placed a call for help and had a call back with-in an hour!
Pros1. Ease of use 2. Versatility 3. Customization
Cons1. No back up button.... 2. Not able to review original "report chart" after an extended time w/o recalculating, which will change after an update has occurred.

By FastEST on October 9, 2019
Thank you, Jack. We saw your concerns and will definitely look into making any changes that would help you in the future. -FastEST support
May 24, 2019
Ted T.
November 15, 2012

OverallOur Project Managers do most of their own estimating and we don't have a formal Estimating Department. As our old programs were becoming obsolete, we needed a new program that was both easy to learn and use and not so detailed that you would forget how to use it if not used every day. We looked at about five different products, all offering about the same amount of performance and reporting capability before selecting FastPIPE. FastPIPE seemed to strike the right balance. New users can usually get pretty competent at takeoff with a couple of hours of training. The database and reporting is everything we were looking for and there are enough factoring options to dial in a bid any way we want. Several times we have had the need for specialty systems to be added to the Catalog such as high purity stainless steel and specialty plastics for pharmaceutical uses. FastEST has been very responsive in researching and adding whole new categories of materials along with their MCA labor rates. When the FastDUCT product came on the market it was an easy choice to make. Although it is much more intricate, all the screens, commands, and reporting are so similar it is very easy for a FastPIPE user to pick up. The product support has been fantastic. When we have questions there is usually someone available to help immediately. I have never had to go on hold to wait for the next available tech or wait days for a return call. Their ability to get on line directly with a user and look at the same screens is very helpful.
November 15, 2012
Andre L.
June 26, 2018

“Good Software for estimating and material list”

ProsThe product catalog is full of good product and easy to find. There's a lot a scale to choose from. You can modify you plan to do the as build.
ConsWould like to have an option for Canadian prices. When you are in mode takoff, you cannot minimize the window.

By FastEST on May 16, 2019
Thank you for the review, Andre. Please call our support team with any questions on pricing and takeoff, we can work our best to fix any problems that arise within the software. -FastEST support
June 26, 2018
Bobby G.
June 2, 2015

“Great cost effective software for estimating ”

ProsWhat we like about the FastPipe program is one the initial cost is lower than most we have reviewed. We like the ease of data base catalog additions. We are a specialty process piping contractor with alot of special materials. We have added these to our catalog and his really sped up our estimating time. The on screen takeoff and custom options available are another very nice feature
Conssometimes the import drawings feature doesn't work as well as would like. Drawings dont come thru clear enough to read and we have to try different things and re import
Recommendations to other buyerscall contractors that are using this system to get first hand details about the pros and cons of the software
June 2, 2015
Justin K.
January 4, 2016

“Highly satisfied long time user”

ProsFastEST Estimating Software has worked well for me over the years. The support staff is always responsive and helpful.
ConsThere is nothing negative to say about this product or vendor. It really is great. One funny thing is that the name gives the impression that everything is going to go really fast. I joke with my coworkers and say it's actually more like accurate-est.
Recommendations to other buyersI recommend choosing a tradesperson to train for an open estimating position. It is easier to train a tradesperson how to use tools such as estimating software than to train a non tradesperson essential trade knowledge.
January 4, 2016
Angela W.
Operations Mangager
June 5, 2018

“Makes estimating easy”

ProsGone are our days of doing takeoff manually. For a plumbing project of any size this saves hours and hours of time as well as increasing accuracy. Worth every penny we paid for it.
ConsIt can get expensive once you start getting a lot of users, but other than that it is great and we are not to that point yet anyways.

By FastEST on May 16, 2019
Thank you for the review, Angela. Let us know if there is anything we can assist with. Here to help! -FastEST support
June 5, 2018
Maia F.
Preconstruction Manager
March 14, 2016

“Long time customer; still pleased.”

ProsPricing is right. The ease of access to customer service Portability FastPipe's willingness to: - create special reports - add products to database - solve problems immediately - answer questions regarding upcoming features - add features
ConsAlthough FP is eager to do custom reports, they will drop on the list behind new features and upgrades.
Recommendations to other buyersA demo is not enough - you need to have a trial period to really understand ease of use. Determine what you really need from the program before you start looking at software.
March 14, 2016
Herb D.
October 22, 2012

OverallI had no experience with the computer when I saw information about FastPipe & FastDUCT. After watching the video I was interested in learning more. After research we decided to try this program. From the start it was easy to learn - within days we were doing all our bidding on the computer. It has been a real time saver and help in the bidding process. We tried an estimating program about 10 years ago and we paid 3 times as much and it came without any information. We were never able to get the first bid off that program. We really like FastPIPE & FastDUCT - the staff is great to work with - they walk you through any problems and are constantly try to improve the program. The options are great, like being able to change from one kind of pipe to another so easily. Changing the pipe prices is simple. Changing the labor rate in seconds. Having the record on the computer is so valuable. We do some traveling and we are able to do the bidding where ever we are and can look back and see what was bid if there is a question on the previous jobs. This is a great program and the prices are constantly being upgraded so you are never out of date with your pricing. The seminars are also helpful - you discover something that you can do that you had not been using - making it even easier. Highly recommend this program!
October 22, 2012
Stanley R.
Project Coordinator
September 19, 2018

“FANTASTIC PRODUCT”

ProsThe ease of use, the software and the technical support make this a great product. Steve, has been there to answer and assist every step of the way. The software cuts my estimating a project by 75%. I've using the Fastpipe for almost a month and I've pushed 6 bids. That would not have been possible with the assistance and help of Steve. Thanks for a great product.
ConsI don't have anything negative to say about the software nor the tech support. One thing that could be great is online courses.

By FastEST on May 16, 2019
Thank you for the review, Stanley. We are constantly striving to make our software the best it can be for our customers. We are in the process of updating our training videos for the latest version now. -FastEST support
September 19, 2018
Scott B.
April 4, 2018

“Great estimating software that is easy to use.”

ProsThey are always updating and making the software better. Took very little to learn and start using this program.
ConsThe dual screen feature needs some work and is a little cumbersome. to use. The initial setup and location of files is difficult especially when switching computers.

By FastEST on October 9, 2019
Thank you for the review, Scott. We value the feedback and look forward to continuing to help you in the future. -FastEST support
April 4, 2018
Brad J.
Tech documents
December 27, 2017

“Very happy with FastPipe & FastDuct”

OverallSA recommended 5 estimation programs for us. I started by getting pricing on all 5. The least expensive choice lacked an object library for the materials we use in plbg & HVAC, so I moved on to the next higher priced choice, which was FastPipe & FastDuct. We scheduled a web demo, and our estimators liked it, so we bought it. It was much more affordable than any of the remaining 3 choices. To be fair, the other products had extra features, but none that we really needed, so I'm convinced we got the best bang for our buck.
ProsThe UI is intuitive and fairly easy to learn. FastEst support is the best I've experienced for any software product!
December 27, 2017
Chet D.
April 20, 2017

“Great product”

OverallI'd recommend this product in a second (especially to a plumber). Customer service is fantastic, and it just works. As a matter of fact it's one of the better designed pieces of software I've ever used.
ProsClean, well thought out and efficient design. Well supported, reasonable price (comparatively),flexible payment options.
ConsThis is a program designed for plumbers (FastPIPE) if you come from a different background the learning curve will be a little steeper as you need to know your fittings and such.
April 20, 2017
Cory R.
September 1, 2016

“second to none”

Prosthe bid breakdowns are perfect for pricing and putting together a proposal anything you can think of they have it included and can change percentages to your companies liking
Conssoftware is a little intimidating when it comes to adjusting their material pricing to your buy pricing but the tech support definitely does a great job navigating you through your concerns
Recommendations to other buyersdo your homework and do the online trials and training for this and the other estimation softwares out there to get a feel for what suits your needs best.
September 1, 2016
Karon B.
August 26, 2016

“It's a great program for estimating jobs fast pipe is on point.”

ProsEasy to navigate, it becomes a second nature,watching the videos help as well someone is there to answer any questions that you may have. I wish there was a section that help on pricing for your trim that would take a snap shot of the blue prints so you could copy and paste text off the print and be able
ConsTyping out everything copy and paste option off digital prints so I can send off for pricing right away from my supplier.
Recommendations to other buyersI won a job right out the box $641,000 job using this program. It works
August 26, 2016
Ed H.
January 28, 2015

“By far the best out of three that I have used in my 15 yrs estimating”

ProsI have been using FastPipe for almost 3 years and love it! It is very easy to learn - in a few day you will be using it comfortably. I used a big name estimating program for 8 years before this one that was really hard to learn, and if you did not use it every day, you would forget things. The vendor has a great support staff that know the product. You will almost always get a live person when calling, and if you have to leave a message, they will usually get back to you in a hour or two.
ConsI do not have any dislikes of this product. I use it every day and love it!
Recommendations to other buyersEase of use and support is key. I use it 5 days a week and love it.
January 28, 2015
Joel W.
Operations Manager
May 10, 2019

“Makes takeoff and estimating so much more accurate”

ProsWow this is an amazing product! Made us so much more confident in our estimates. You can calculate exactly how many 1/2" copper couplings, how many feet of pipe, even how much solder you are going to need for a job. Makes it so easy to order materials for a job and to be able to get prices on products without having to call your supplier. Can't recommend it more. also cuts down on the amount of errors you can have since it the takeoff helps you organize and color code things.
ConsIt is not cheap, so you better plan on using it multiple times a week to make it worth it. But if so it pays for itself.

By FastEST on May 16, 2019
Thank you, Joel! We value the feedback and look forward to continuing to help you in the future. -FastEST support
May 10, 2019
Andrey T.
Commercial Project Manager
February 23, 2017

“FastDuct”

ProsEverything. There is no specific requirements to use this software , everyone will be able to use this one.
Consit might be a complexity to read the results from the take offs. A little bit complicated to update the product list.
February 23, 2017
Steve G.
January 26, 2015

“Great Product”

ProsThis an easy to use and comprehensive estimating program that is a perfect for our needs. No complex set-up or learning curve. Honestly, if you have ever used a computer estimating program before you will be up and running in less than a week. Everyone that works at FastEST is easy to work with and very helpful solving any issue that might arise.
ConsI really have no complaints. The product works great for us.
Recommendations to other buyersLook at all the products out there and evaluate them for your needs. You really do not need all the bells and whistles.
January 26, 2015
Jim H.
August 14, 2012

OverallI am estimator with 40 years of experience, and have used many programs over the years. I have been using FastEST for about 5 years. I chose it after using several other estimating programs. What sold me on this system was the data base and the spec data base. Also, the the pre-built assemblies that come with the program will save countless hours of doing them yourself. This estimating system is one of the easiest to use right out of the box. Just check your take off with a couple of projects, then you can adjust your labor factor and be up and running. The staff at FastEST are some of the best. The support is great. I have waited up to three days for a call back on other systems, but not with FastEST.
August 14, 2012
Steven S.
January 9, 2015

“Easy to use”

ProsIt's like estimating with plans, but now you are using a computer. It's simple to use. You can learn the system with your first estimate.
ConsI cannot integrate material types in the same section. For, example, taking off the same spec no-hub pipe with a different color on takeoff is difficult. It would be better if they you were able to make it with one click in the same section of a vent pipe with a different color.
Recommendations to other buyersJust use it, and you can learn as you go. It's very simple to use and understand. Tech support is great.
January 9, 2015
Erik W.
December 2, 2014

“Front purchase to implementation, FastDuct is an amazing product!”

ProsThe vendor was fantastic to deal with! They seamlessly integrated FastDUCT into our system from their office in the USA, and the online tutorial was informative and easy to follow. We couldn't be happier with FastDUCT!!
ConsI have nothing negative to include. The team at FastDuct have been there for us from start to finish.
Recommendations to other buyersLook into the different options and interfaces before selecting the best product for your company. We found that FastDUCT's sales team weren't as high-pressure as the competition, which made our selection less stressful.
December 2, 2014
Jennifer D.
September 4, 2014

“Simple, Cost-Effective Mechanical Estimating Software”

ProsWe have enjoyed how simple the software was to install and utilize out of the box. We have also been able to upload our part pricing conveniently. In addition to this, the vendor has been helpful in answering our questions and offering additional training opportunities.
ConsI would like better version compatibility when uploading Excel files and to see more Canadian pricing info.
Recommendations to other buyersEnsure it will work for your business needs. Everyone has specific needs. We needed something simple, inexpensive, and accurate. It works great so far for us.
September 4, 2014
Jim R.
January 12, 2015

“FastPIPE is very easy to use and has made our bidding process quicker.”

ProsFastPIPE is very easy to use and has made our bidding process quicker. Being able to import and work on PDF files saves us money on printed drawings, and the ability to overlay revised plans over the original plans saves a lot of time bidding changes. Their customer service is very good.
ConsI dislike the inability to change a job done on an custom template to a commercial plumbing template.
Recommendations to other buyersPlay with it and familiarize yourself with it.
January 12, 2015
Jeffrey G.
November 24, 2015

“Great program - Love it!”

ProsBest estimating program Ive ever used and and Ive used them all. Fast, accurate, excellent customer service. A+++
ConsI can honestly say I have no complaints. This product works as advertised.
Recommendations to other buyersI have used this program for at least 10 years and it gets better all the time. Don't spend your money and time with any of the others out there. I have personally used Quick-Pen, Estimation, Easy-est, Quote: but the one I bought for my company was Fast-pipe/duct.
November 24, 2015
Craig G.
February 7, 2016

“Fastduct/Fastpipe”

ProsEasy to learn software. The support is excellent. You can call them at anytime and they will help right away. Pay month to month. Plus they gave us a great deal because we already had Fastpipe.
ConsThe only comment I have is the duct software is not as sophisticated as other software in some area's. But the cost of Fastduct makes up for this small shortfall.
Recommendations to other buyersAlways ask about how much support costs. Fastduct has cost us nothing for support. I've been on the phone with them for over 7-8 hours in the first month of owning this software.
February 7, 2016
Melissa A.
October 19, 2012

OverallO.C. McDonald Co. is a Piping & HVAC construction/service company in the Bay Area, California. We've used both HVAC and Piping estimating programs here for a number of years. FastPIPE & FastDUCT is easy to learn, easy to use and accurate. As Network Administrator/IT Support for this company, I especially appreciate the exceptional software support and training provided by this outstanding company. I hope to use more of their products in the future!
October 19, 2012
Mark N.
November 18, 2015

“Best Customer Service Ever!”

ProsVery user friendly and if you do run into trouble the customer service is absolutely unbeatable. When I updated to Windows 10 I was having some issues at 10pm on a Sunday Night. Not only did I get a call back but they had me up and running in a few minutes!
ConsI have no complaints about the product or the company. They are the best.
Recommendations to other buyersThe people at FastEst are always willing and more importantly able to help with questions or issues you may have. They are knowledgeable not only on their product but the industry as well.
November 18, 2015
Craig C.
January 16, 2013

OverallThe FastEST software is a great program to work with. The ease of getting a full take-off and the ability to change things on the fly is great. The only thing like all other electronic estimating software is the initial set up to match your company's requirements is very tedious. But once setup, everything will run smoothly especially since they offer material updates and labor rates which can always be adjusted by the end user.
January 16, 2013
Richard K.
June 16, 2014

“FastPIPE/FastDUCT Review”

ProsEase of customization. Quick response time for support. Pricing is also very competitive.
ConsI have not had anything to take issue with as of this time.
Recommendations to other buyersReview the demos, ask questions, do some tutorials. Take your time to evaluate the software. We did, and I feel we made the right decision.
June 16, 2014
Scott S.
March 23, 2016

“Great estimating software and support.”

ProsThe software is easy to use and learn. Everyone I've spoken to has been eager to help and there is always someone available.
ConsDo not have any complaints about the software or vendor.
Recommendations to other buyersI tried several before deciding. So I would say to really try them before you buy. Some advertise easy options or operations that are difficult or cost more to add.
March 23, 2016
Ryan I.
October 22, 2015

“Fast Pipe review”

ProsI like the amount of fittings, the updating of material and pricing and the ease of takeoff on it
ConsI have overall been very satisfied with it, I haven't had any issues with it and like that I get updates on pricing changes etc
Recommendations to other buyersI like the ease of operating and quality of the program
October 22, 2015
James H.
October 31, 2014

“FastPIPE review”

ProsPutting data in is very easy with this software.
ConsGetting data out could be better. It needs more options.
Recommendations to other buyersBite the bullet. A tool that helps you be more productive is worth it so long as you have something to use the tool on.
October 31, 2014