Sage Timeslips Ratings

Overall
3.5/5

About Sage Timeslips

Sage Timeslips makes it easy for service businesses to capture more billable hours and accurately track expenses. Sage Timeslips integrates with 20 software packages, such as Sage 50 Accounting, QuickBooks, Microsoft Outlook, Time Matters and Amicus Attorney. Features include Automatic Time Capture, 100+ pre-defined reports, calendar sync, customizable reports and a real-time dashboard. Web-based time and expense capture is available. Learn more about Sage Timeslips

Lynn B.
Law Practice, Self-employed
September 2, 2019

“Served its Purpose Well”

OverallMy overall experience with Timeslips was positive. It was a little expensive, but not in comparison to other billing software programs out there. It was relatively easy to use, and we produced attractive and accurate bills for clients. It was only when my firm structure changed that Timeslips could not accommodate us for a reasonable price.
ProsI found Timeslips to be relatively user friendly. I used it when I was in a partnership with another attorney, and our monthly billing seemed to run smoothly. I had come from another firm that used Tabs, and I found that Timeslips was less complicated overall to use.
ConsWe had some problems with Timeslips after closing our office and changing to remote only offices. We had been using it on a server, and when we tried to change that, it caused a lot of errors and we lost a lot of time trying to make it work. Ultimately, one partner stuck with Timeslips on his system, and I went to another cheaper software product instead of purchasing a second instance of Timeslips. It was frustrating that I had to start from scratch with all client data in the new system, but I don't really fault Timeslips because it certainly worked as needed when we purchased it for our server in the office.
September 2, 2019
Melinda S.
General Counsel
May 14, 2018

“Buyer Beware - Frequent New Versions and Very Long Waits for Tech Support”

ProsI use it only for basics and it would have bee fine for that if they actually supported it. Even with Support the wait times were ridiculous. I was on for 3 hours and 5 minutes with them last week. Took 30 minutes just to get to a live person who could help.
ConsTimeslips keeps "upgrading" software I do not need an upgrade for - and after 3 "upgrades" you have to pay for a new version or they cut off tech support (which suggests a financial incentive on their end that would explain the frequent upgrades). You do not get tech support for 3 years (which would be reasonable) - if they upgrade 3x in a year (which they have the right to do per the person I ultimately spoke with) then you have to incur substantial cost for a new version. Also, when you have tech support - the wait times are insanely long. As lawyers, we generally bill by the hour. In addition to my 3 HOUR experience last week, I was just on again this morning for 17 minutes before anyone live even answered. Then, that person needed to transfer me to someone but kindly agreed to stay on the line. They were on for about 5 minutes and finally they gave up and said they would send an email to that department to call me back (I am not holding my breath . . . ). This whole situation is crazy - they actually have software that will call you back if you hit "1" - but this option was only offered to me once (last week) and only after I'd been on hold for 15 minutes. BEWARE and do your diligence before purchasing this product.
May 14, 2018
Law Practice, Unspecified
May 13, 2018

“Easy way to keep track of all attorney billing statements, as well as client payments.”

OverallIt is easy to keep track of attorney time, things happening with each individual file, and client bills.
ProsEach attorney can have their own form of the software and enter their specific entries. You can see all client bills from the past and present. There is an easy screen which shows each client's balance, last bill cycle, last payment, their address, phone number, and how much interest they are accruing. It is easy to enter your time entries and generate client bills. You can also generate all client's who haven't paid, last time they've paid, how much they owe now, and past due balances. You can also enter "notes" with each individual client to keep track of their payments and cards, etc.
ConsThere are a lot of different functions in the software that I don't know how to use or what their purpose is. The office manager has a lot more control over the program so employees can only access certain things. The items I can access were difficult to learn since the buttons are spread out. Some functions that I use left often are harder to remember where they are located. My least favorite thing about the program is that it is very slow and constantly freezes. I have to then wait several minutes to use anything else on the computer, or I have to manually exit the program a few times before it will work after freezing.
May 13, 2018
Linda F.
June 8, 2017

“Have Used TimeSlips for Years”

OverallWe are comfortable with it. Our office has been using this software to track individual user hours and role rates for decades. I am quite sure our accounting software has a time feature, but we are happy with TimeSlips.
ProsIn our accounting office, we have used TimeSlips since I have been there (over 18 years). We have only updated our version once during that time. It is a basic time, expense, and client tracker. We are a small 3-person firm, and it meets our needs. We haven't updated our version since 2011, so our product is no longer supported. There is a quirk in our version, but I have found a workaround, and the savings in not being required to upgrade our software is worth the workaround.
ConsCustomizing the templates is difficult, and for some reason this year, the "billing assistant" box cannot be moved or minimized once it is opened (this is a 2017 glitch--had not experienced till this year).
June 8, 2017
Ashleigh T.
Legal Assistant
Legal Services, 11-50 employees
July 18, 2017

“Works well keeping time to bill for attorney time, paralegal time and/or expenses!”

OverallIt keeps our time accurately. Somewhat costly.
ProsI enables us to keep accurate time records of billable and non-billable time for attorneys, paralegals and/or expenses! There are tons of ways to customize what your bills look like. I love that you can review your timeslip entries prior to final billing.
ConsSome of the customization features they have we would like to use on our final bill but it is rather difficult to manipulate the format to look the way you view in your mind. Also, it isn't the easiest to look at the pre-bills there is a lot of information on the pre-bill and looks a little crazy at first glance, but then after you take time and get used to it, the prebill is actually easy to understand!
July 18, 2017
Autumn B.
legal Assistant
December 12, 2018

“Good program but with some flaws”

OverallI've used them for years and it is functioning accurately.
ProsI like how the program has so many functionalities with respect to running reports and merging with other programs
ConsThe customer service is difficult to reach and you almost always have to call in vs. doing a chat. The size of the typing constantly changes as you type which is annoying. The template for the actual bill cannot be viewed and changed within the bill its self, you must do it while in the template and without seeing the actual function until you switch the viewing screen which is a pain when you need to see if you should move something a bit to the left or right or up or down.
December 12, 2018
Tiffany H.
Bookkeeper
June 7, 2017

“Great billing program!”

OverallGreat software to assist in monthly billing!
ProsTimeslips has features in place to prevent editing of old bills - I will say that sometimes it is ok to edit bills but for the most part we want our bills to remain the same as they were when they were sent to the client and Timeslips will only allow editing of the last approved bill which helps keep our bills as they were when they were submitted to the client.
ConsI wish it were incorporated with a practice management software and the price was more attractive. I also wish the program support was better. Often we have to call an independent consultant and pay them more money to fix issues.
June 7, 2017
Gary R.
January 5, 2018

“While easy to enter time with Timeslips, it is far too buggy. Go with another program.”

OverallWell...it does track my time and gets bills out, but not without a large amount of aggravation.
ProsEasy to enter data into Timeslips. It is full featured if you can figure out the features. You'll like the program at first - until it starts giving you problems - and it will.
ConsHorrifically bad support. It's a buggy program with frequent problems. There is a general rule with software - if they charge for support, it means it's buggy and a frequent problem. Timeslips is no exception. You rarely get through. Instead they take your phone number promising to call back. But they will only call back once, so you might find yourself on a merry go round trying to connect. Database is frequently corrupted requiring verification and repairs although the transition to the Firebird database seems to have helped. I started using Timeslips years ago and the only reason to continue is that of the fear that my data cannot be accurately transferred to a decent program. Most recent problem is poor compatibility with Outlook 2016. Whenever Outlook is open, text entry into the description field of a timeslip lags badly. While there are a lot of reports, figuring out which report and how to get the info you want can be challenging. You can modify layouts for bills, etc., but the user interface for doing so is from the dark ages.
January 5, 2018
Susan P.
Litigation Paralegal
February 6, 2018

“Although pricey, the functions meet our firm's needs.”

OverallConsistency throughout years of use.
ProsRelatively easy to use, and the features meet our needs. The coordination of upgrades and database transfers was relatively painless. It coordinates with our MS Outlook, as well.
ConsTechnical support has been poor in our experience. Additionally, the cost is prohibitive to upgrading as often as should occur. We have experienced issues with incompatibility with some of our other software, as well.
February 6, 2018
Michael S.
December 29, 2017

“Timeslips has gone to a two obsolescence factor from 3 years. As a 10 user firm that is outrageous.”

OverallWe have used for almost 30 years and did not want to change do the hassle of changing. Do to their change in obsolescence policy, they have motivated us to change. Not enough to make it worth purchasing every two years. That is a ridiculous obsolescence factor.
ConsBeware, technical support is very poor and expensive. 2 year obsolescence policy on software. Some features like advance payment never worked correctly. Google the software and read comments regarding problems with software.
December 29, 2017
October 10, 2019

“Sage Timeslips”

OverallI used Timeslips to capture time to bill to clients. I found the program difficult to use, too many features for most users and the updates were too expensive.
ProsIt is a well know program, from a reputable company and it has been on market over 15 years.
Cons1. Complicated to setup, 2 Difficult to use, 3. Too many features for most users, 4. Expensive and 5. Updates are expensive.
October 10, 2019
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees
September 4, 2018

“Reasonable software for professional services firm”

OverallWe are stuck using this software as itis what is in place at this time.
ProsIt has flexible billing rate structure, outlook integration, ability to import external data and detailed time entry screens
ConsVery poor features for remote time entry in comparison to every other competitor. Reporting features are limited to create custom financial reports. No project management features.
Brauna D.
Executive Director
March 25, 2019

“Timeslips is usable but has many issues”

ProsWe like the invoices it produces and it is able to calculate discounts for early payment, which we offer.
ConsIt is expensive. We need an outside consultant for help. It can be wonky and the developers either ignore you or are very slow to fix things.
March 25, 2019
Barbara K.
Paralegal
Legal Services, 1-10 employees
September 18, 2019

“Easy Billing Reports ”

OverallIf does what you need it to. I prefer it over most billing software I have used in the last 10 years.
ProsEasy data entry. It's hard to make a mistake without the software correcting you. Reports are easy to run as well.
ConsNo customer service, just a giant book as a reference (thank goodness for YouTube). It is not really user-friendly, but once you find out how most of it works its a great software.
September 18, 2019
February 7, 2018

“professional billing”

Proswe use this for billing hourly time for professional services - it offers a discount for prompt payment that no other software has
Consit is a little buggy and seems to require annual updates to continue functioning and it is too expensive for what it is
February 7, 2018
Angela W.
Legal/Billing Assistant
February 5, 2018

“For the most part this program is easy to use but has its flaws”

ProsThe ease of finding what you want when you want it and ease of the ability to search within the program
ConsIt is not easily manipulated and you not able to change things once you have submitted. it is very difficult in that aspect
February 5, 2018
Sarah M.
January 22, 2018

“Software for Law Firms”

OverallThis is a good software for law firms looking to track all time and expenses, and create invoices and statements for clients. It allows you to track client IOLTA transactions and balances easily. Be aware that this does not take the place of accounting software.
ProsThe ability to record draw downs, in Trustee account prior to invoicing is nice. It is also easy to correcting prior entries made (in time and expenses as will as funds transactions and payments received).
ConsI find the report feature to be somewhat clunky and the labels for them not very descriptive. The software is also rather pricey.
January 22, 2018
Kieran S.
President & CEO
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
June 27, 2017

“Learning Curve but worth it!”

ProsFunctionality and features are unmatched. I've looked for products which can do automatic time capture/billing and have never come across a product as feature rich as Timeslips. The support from Sage is also EXCELLENT. I can't help but stress this, whether it's technical support or product usage Sage is topnotch!
ConsUp until Timeslips 2017 was released it has been a struggle as the software itself was in need of an update. But, with the latest release most if not all of the software issues were taken care of!
June 27, 2017
Brenda C.
June 11, 2018

“Have had this product for 20+ years. No longer.”

OverallNONE
ProsNOTHING. It's gotten harder and harder to use over the year, customer support is incredibly expensive and it seems to go into planned obsolesence every few years so I have to buy the newest version. For example all of a sudden a trust account feature didn't work anymore which others reported as well, and the "fix" was to buy the latest version.
ConsThe software is difficult to use, and the company would not make a MAC version, so after years of the cumbersome running it inside a VM, I decided to change to another program. Bought the "legacy" program so I own it -just in case I ever need the archived information and changed to Timesolv. Now Sage sent an autorenewal and is trying to charge me for a service plan, saying I missed the 7 day period to cancel the autorenew--but I only got the email 3 days ago --a friday, and called monday am. Charged it to my credit card and won't reverse the charge. In my opinion a very bad practice and one I will take to small claims if the credit card won't reverse it.
June 11, 2018
Meredith S.
Law Practice, Self-employed
December 5, 2018

“Great for Small Firm”

ProsEasy to keep track of time for clients and self
ConsSometimes easy to make errors that are copied over to other slips
December 5, 2018
Stefanie Y.
Litigation Paralegal - Personal Injury Department
November 13, 2018

“Outdated - Not the best customer service”

OverallOverall, the new firm that I am with does not use this program and I am so happy for that. It CAN and WILL get the job done for you, but there are a ton of other programs out there that can get you more bang for your buck in my opinion.
ProsVery basic and easy to navigate for the most part. It was easy to teach other employees how to learn the system because it was very cut and dry.
ConsIt is outdated and needs a lot of work. The functions that it has can be updated and improved to make it better. It seemed like certain features you'd have to click 10 steps to get to something that could easily be in a drop-down menu. It just isn't the greatest layout and way to use a program. Also - the customer service is only there for you if you buy a very expensive addition to your software package. So, even if you have a basic question they wont help you, and there are little to no helpful posts online if you try to Google a problem you have because I don't think a ton of people use the program.
November 13, 2018
March 15, 2018

“Great system with great features”

ProsI like that I can organize billing for different types of clients and have the invoicing reflect those different payment arrangements accurately.
ConsThe thing I like least about the software is formatting the invoice templates. I had some trouble getting the format exactly how I like it.
March 15, 2018
Jeffrey D. K.
November 16, 2018

“Sage Timeslips: The bane of our law firm's existance”

ProsWhile called the swiss army knife of billing systems, we found Sage Timeslips to be bloated, buggy and confuszing. The best part of the software for our office is that we don't use it anymore1
ConsSupport was awful. We spent a small fortune maintaining it, and paying consultants to fix it.
November 16, 2018
Legal Services, 11-50 employees
February 21, 2018

“When you elimnated everything else, you choose Timeslips”

Overallwe can invoice our clients
ProsIt enters time. It enters expenses. It supports funds accounting. It makes invoices. It has basic reporting
ConsThe mobile app stinks. The support is not great. The reporting feature is limited so you cannot create 1 report of an entire client's WIP, AR, Invoices, Funds and budget. The interface is slow. The built in backup service chokes file server performance, The interface has not changed in 15 years. There is no hosted option. Don't choose this software.
February 21, 2018
Andy M.
Legal Services, 1-10 employees
August 8, 2017

“Excellent time billing & trust accounting Program”

OverallI have been a Timeslips user for 26+ years
ProsEase of completing multiple slips for same client. Easy to start a new secretarys on your billing program.
ConsToo much repetition finalizing and printing the final invoices. It would also be nice to have a default-type time slip.
August 8, 2017
Nicole P.
Account Executive
March 7, 2018

“Time Tracking Software”

ProsIt was nice to have an electronic way to track time and client work. You can set-up multiple users and multiple clients.
ConsIf you have multiple users it can get expensive as each person accessing is required to have an individual license.
March 7, 2018
March 24, 2019

“Timeslips is not our software of choice”

ProsTimeslips is a commonly used piece of software for law firms that has many features
ConsTimeslips is not the easiest software to use in this day and age of cloud-friendly and mobile apps
March 24, 2019
Tom z.
attorney
September 20, 2017

“Beware - you must buy new versions every year or else lose technical support”

ProsNo technical support unless you spend thousands of dollars to upgrade your software each year (even if you offer to pay for it).
ConsIf you do not spend thousands of dollars to upgrade your software each year, they will not provide any technical support (even if you offer to pay for it).
September 20, 2017
L P.
president
December 1, 2016

“Needs a consultant to operate”

OverallI've used this for years. It's designed so that only trained consultants can set it up for you. Virtually no customer support. Very difficult to get reports from and to use in general.
ProsIt accommodates the many matters an intellectual property lawyer has (unlike other practice areas)
ConsDifficult to use; complex to operate.
December 1, 2016
Rick D.
Law Practice, Unspecified
November 30, 2017

“This has got to be the most difficult, non-functional and frustrating software on the planet.”

ProsWhen it works its ok to enter time, etc. There really aren't many other pros.
ConsYou have to update every year to get this to work properly and there is absolutely NO customer support . This program is really bad. Do NOT buy it.
November 30, 2017
Kelsey H.
Marketing Director
Automotive, 1-10 employees
February 14, 2019

“Sage Timeslips Review”

OverallEasy to use, easy to time track a good tool for a smaller company.
ProsVery easy to use and track time. Easy for employees to use with minimal training.
ConsThe upgrades were a little hard to keep track of, seems like this happened a lot and there were costs involved.
February 14, 2019
Tiffany H.
December 7, 2016

“Legal Billing Option”

OverallI used Timeslips for many years before switching to a new program for billing and I do miss some of the safeguards in Timeslips. Our new program does not lock bills once they have been printed as drafts. Timeslips has this option and we miss it! There is nothing more confusing than having a draft bill printed and approved, only to go into the program and find someone has added, deleted, or otherwise made changes to the bill. My biggest complaint with Timeslips is that they do not have very good customer service/support. It always seemed that I would have to locate and "hire" a certified Timeslips consultant to get any direct assistance with issues. This can become costly!
December 7, 2016
Dawn G.
Accountant
Real Estate, 201-500 employees
December 13, 2018

“Love this time keepig software”

ProsThis software is user friendly and easy to maneuver thru.
ConsI have no complaints about this program. We love it
December 13, 2018
Erin T.
December 13, 2016

“Love this software!!”

OverallSage Timeslips is so easy to use. It is so versatile and quick to learn. The billing process is very adaptable because you can easily change rates of your services or set this to a flat rate fee or even non-billable with the click of a mouse. You can separate you clients by attorney and keep everything organized. I am able to organize all of my clients contact and billing information in one easy place and can retrieve this information at anytime quickly and easily. I especially like the short cuts for commonly used entries. That really speeds up my service entry process. Very user friendly software and i would recommend it to everyone!
December 13, 2016
Ashleigh T.
Legal Secretary
September 4, 2018

“Best billing software for lawfirms out there!”

ProsHow easy it is to enter different timed entries and edit them if you need to change!Also makes monthly billings super easy!
ConsThe cost it a little steep if you don't use it daily.
Gerri M.
March 31, 2017

“Gold Standard for Billing Software”

OverallOut of all the billing software programs for lawyers in the 3-20 attorney range, Timeslips has the most comprehensive reporting. Flat fee billing is easy to do but allocating the money received is problematic unless the bill is set to Final Bill so that the allocation can go back to day one and reallocate over the flat fee life of the matter. For full disclosure, we use Timeslips in our office and support the software for attorneys.
March 31, 2017
Kelly J.
February 1, 2017

“Timeslips is still around”

OverallIn an industry where may do make it beyond the 10 year slump, Timeslips is still around and delighting it's customer. After some basic setup that could use additional wizards, etc. to help a new user out, you are ready to go with all your time keeping and client accounts receivable needs. Several reports are available although the filters take a bit of time to get used to in order to produce understandable results.
February 1, 2017
Robin B.
Bookkeeper
October 11, 2017

“Good for tracking legal service time”

ProsWorked fine for tracking attorney's time in small office, allows multiple users to review entries. Simple reports available.
ConsCumbersome editing function, sometimes confusing and not easy to understand flow - not intuitive for the layman to use.
October 11, 2017
B M.
December 28, 2015

“Worst customer support ever seen”

OverallCalled to ask if timeslips works with Quickbooks online. Wanted a credit card to billb $180 before he would answer. Bought new computer,asked about getting it off the old computer and service transfer to the new. Required another $180 to answer. We just paidover $700 for the software and they claim since we own it any questions is our problem so will have to charge for answering each question. Since we cant even get it set up to work there is no comment on how it works. But we all know that no mattrr how good a product might be, it is only as good as the servuce behind it. They do not call back if you leave a message. Thus software has cost us $thousands in loss of use and a very nonresponsive customer service. We have gone to Mycase as a result and they have been super to work with
December 28, 2015
April 2, 2019

“Great ! ”

ProsHelpful to use and user friendly, helpful to navigate
Conscost is not the best and sometimes the software doesnt work.
April 2, 2019