MySQL Ratings

Overall
4.6/5
4.4/5
4.2/5

About MySQL

MySQL Enterprise Edition includes the most comprehensive set of advanced features, management tools and technical support to achieve the highest levels of MySQL scalability, security, reliability, and uptime. It reduces the risk, cost, and complexity in developing, deploying, and managing business-critical MySQL applications. Learn more about MySQL

Lilantha R.
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
October 4, 2019

“MySQL Review”

OverallWe resolved over DBMS issues with MySQL. It is free therefore We resolved our cost issues. It has the best community. We resolved our all issues very easily. Queries are very easy, Therefore we saved over time. If we think to use relational database MySQL is the best. We can recommend for anyone. Drivers are there for any programming language.
ProsMySQL is a powerful database management system. It is free. Easy to learn and use. I someone new to DBMS. We can recommend that person to MySQL without any trouble. It is supported to any environment. If your server/PC windows, Linux or Mac. It doesn't matter. MySQL support for all Operation systems and very easy to set up in any environment. We can tall like this if we think about the setup and configuration process "MySQL is the most easiest DBMS system to set up and configure". We can create databases and tables very easily. As well as It is a relational database. We can keep up table relations. It supports many data types. Int, Double, Flote, Varchar, Text, Date,Timestamp...etc.We can create table, views,functions,procedure,trigger..etc. It support many character sets. We vey easy to take backups. We can use text files, CSV file, excel files to data upload. bulk data upload support. MySQL queries are very easy. It supports joins, subqueries,union,group,order and so many things are there. Many free client applications are there for MySQL like MySQL workbench, sqlyog, phpadmin. We can run mysql in custom port. We can limit privileges by user roles. Best thing is support. And also MySQl drivers are there for any programming language. If It is Java, PHP, Node...etc doesn't matter. There are many resources for MySQL. MySQL is a world most popular, powerful, easy, wonderful DBMS.
ConsActually, It is a relational database. Therefore before the database creation, You want to create ER-Diagram otherwise you are in trouble. When the relationships are increasing. Hard to insert data. As well as. MySQL is not good for large databases. If relations go very hight. data retrieving speed is going down. If table storage is hight, data retrieving speed is going down. If connections are going hights. It returns too many connection errors and MySQL down. We want to restart.
October 4, 2019
Jim T.
Sr Web Engineer
Information Services, Self-employed
August 25, 2019

“Stable Database for Every Project”

ProsI came from programming background who used PHP as primary language and naturally MySQL was the database for the backend. One feature about MySQL is how easy it is to setup and use and how flexible it is to operate. I have used both the CLI (Command Line Interface) and GUI (Graphical User Interface) to interact with the database to create tables, add records, update and remove records, all seem really fast and stable. I used MySQL on my Windows, Mac, and Linux machines without any hiccups. It follows the traditional Relational Database Management System structure with you first create the database, then the tables, then add records to the tables before you can query them. The client used to interface MySQL include the web-based tool like PHPMySQL, and Windows tool like HeidiSQL or MySQL Workbench. These tools all connect to the database very easily. These tools also lets you backup your database for offline storage.
ConsThe recent trend of database has gone from the traditional Relational model to NoSQL, which is a SQL platform that uses mostly JSON format to store data instead of the traditional database tables and records. This is where MySQL lacks, MySQL doesn't have the ability to run as NoSQL so if you intend to use a NoSQL database, MySQL is not for you. One other thing I noticed about MySQL database is if you have a large collection of data and IF your SQL query is not very optimized, the speed to return the data set can be very very slow. Of course, the only way to fix it is optimize or change your query.
August 25, 2019
Ravindu J.
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

“A thought on MySQL”

OverallAs currently I have developed inventory system, clinic system, an backend application for a private company to manage huge no of memberships and ads, and a UK company for manage Business Name , Limited company, trademark and domain registrations and renewals. All of these used with mysql its those are running smoothly. Never had any headaches as through sql queries can manipulate easily and had fast responses for even complex queries and for huge no of data Frameworks used are spring boot and laravel.
ProsKnown and used by most people as most secure and reliable relational database management system. Accompanies 99.99% uptime. Nothing to fears as open source. Can have millions of helps through community. Offers a wide scope of high accessibility like cluster servers master slave replication. Provides high performance even for large volume projects. Growing and improving frequently. Best for cloud applications and big data applications. Supports by huge no of frameworks.
ConsRed Hat Enterprise Linux, openSUSE, Fedora, Slackware Linux etc moved to MariaDB.
Austin K.
Help Desk Technician
July 18, 2019

“MySQL, a Great Free Database Option”

OverallI created a custom database from scratch that tracks inventory assets for the company of which I am currently employed. I also created a couple others that track IT tasks and admin activities.
ProsEasy to use, syntax is easy to remember, database structure can be built quickly and there is a plethora of tools available to help
ConsSyntax took some learning, syntax errors sometimes unclear as to what the error actually is. Not a problem if using Workbench
Caleb J.
Junior Developer
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees
February 21, 2019

“MySQL - One of the best FREE sql DB”

OverallI believe your experience with MySQL will vary based on the option(s) you choose to interact with it. As mentioned before, you can use the CLI which is used mainly by power users; however, the average Joe can simply use a open source GUI which will make life a whole lot easier. Just to name a few of the FREE GUI software on the web: * HeidiSQL * PhpMyAdmin * SQL Workbench All are excellent options to make the user experience absolutely the best. Ever since I began using the software, I felt this bond with the ease of use, ease to remember commands and a large community support backed by tons of online documentations and tutorials. I would say this is one of my best experience using any software and would highly recommend for beginners and power users.
ProsCurrently we have many different types of DB on the market (No SQL and SQL). I spent the past 3 years working with MySQL and completely feel in love with the many of its' feature. * Once you become familiar with the features and the commands, you will find it is super easy and flexible to operate. I interact with it via both the CLI (Command Line Interface) and GUI (Graphical User Interface) and just love the experience. * It has some easy to use commands that are human readable. * Ton loads of useful documentations on the web. * It is an amazing open source RDBMS (Relational Database Management System). * It can be found bundled with many current software stack (LAMP, MAMP, XAMPP) etc., just to name a few. * You can create and cutomize databases, tables, routines, procedures which will all make the workflow super easy to manage your data with many advance tools available at your disposal. * There is the CRUD (Create, Read, Update and Delete) features that are simple to learn and master in your everyday workflow.
ConsLooking at the NoSQL DB (MongoDB) which uses a document type format to save data in their DB, I would say one of the feature I believe is missing or could be improved, is the way data is stored. What I mean, is that currently in MySQL, if the field is not created, you can't insert data as it will not automatically create necessary fields, while with MongoDB, if the particular field has not been created before data was inserted, it will be done on the fly while uploading or inserting data.
February 21, 2019
deba o.
IT Support executive
Oil & Energy, 51-200 employees
December 7, 2018

“lightweight but reliable and effective.”

OverallMYSQL saved my company money on longtime basic and have also resulted in faster processing time from database call and query while its ability to work well with third-party interface application meant that I do not have to work from command prompt screen.
ProsI used MySQL in a project that was covered under the GPL license thus it was free. This helped My company save a lot of expenses compared to when we were using another DB software. My adaptation to MYSQL was quick based on my previous use and knowledge of MSSQL which have similar Coding structure and many parallel functions. MYSQL, been open sourced means that there are tons of thousands of supports and help is available on the internet. I have found this to be particularly very helpful in sorting out otherwise difficult situations. Reliability of MYSQL is the reason MYSQL is the most used database client and I cannot agree less! Been a witness to its reliability, I can say that MYSQL does what it was designed for effectivelyand to think it is always been improved upon. I have used MYSQL with Apache/Tomcat JAVA, Perl. , PHP and JSP and it Worked seamlessly with them. I have observed that MYSQL works best for me when called from Spring Web Flow either through a Hibernate layer or JDBC though. MYSQL is flexible, easy to install because of its lightweight and can scale to very heavy DB without the need for additional support. So far, there has not been a need to change to a new database management application for us. The only downside I have noticed is on query time speed. for instance, a query that use to call for 0.18 seconds now does 0.23 seconds due to DB expansion over the period of 1 year which is still acceptable.
ConsThe need for technical support is overwhelming even though you will most likely find help on the internet. It is difficult to get your actual database performance base on your system specs adaptation like memory utilization and usage during different calls. There is a shocking lack of documentation for many functions embedded within the program and I had to resort to the internet to uncover their uses. You are going to have to learn MYSQL irrespective of your previous knowledge of query languages. This can be more difficult if you are totally new to structural languages and querying tables. The fact that MySQL does not support ARRAY data types means it cannot be adapted to certain situations and projects. I advise you get detailed need analysis before jumping on MYSQL to avoid data type mismatch and project regrets.
December 7, 2018
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
October 23, 2018

“Outstanding Database System”

OverallI have been using MySQL for years now to design and deploy dynamic websites and online software. It is one of the easiest and best database systems I have used. It does have a few quirks and things that can get a little frustrating from time to time, but all in all it is an amazing system and I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Because it is free there really isn't a lot of direct support for it. That said there is a huge community of users and it is normally very easy to find an answer to question or get help when you need it. This is truly one of the best database systems you can use.
Pros- First off it is free and open source - Excellent scale-able database system - Works perfectly with Linux or Unix servers - When paired with PHP MyAdmin you can easily work inside your databases from anywhere - Excellent storage capacity and retrieval - Can easily store millions of records without issue - Did I mention it is FREE!
Cons- Unless you want to be working in a command prompt you need to install 3rd party software like PHP MyAdmin to administrate the database; that said most hosting companies install these by default for you already. - Some built-in functions to MySQL actually slow down queries to a crawl and ignore your indexes; for example using the DATE() on a datetime column ignores any index in that column. - Not as robust as Oracle or SQL for large datasets; it will work but it does slow down performance as your data pool grows. Normally this does not happen until you get well into the millions of records and even then there are things you can do to speed up performance but it is worth noting it is not as fast out of the box as other enterprise systems.
October 23, 2018
John A.
Managing Director
June 25, 2018

“MySQL is a super database program and it's free!”

OverallFirst, I pay nothing for this software, its open source and freely downloadable on as many computers as you want. Second, it is reliable. Backups are a breeze with mysqldump statements, and restores are just as easy and quick. Third, it is very fast. Do yourself a favor. Take the time to learn this database software. You won't regret it.
ProsWhen I first started keeping a customer database, I started with MS Access because it seemed the fastest and easiest option and I had MS Office already. Then I discovered the Linux operating system and decided I wanted to use open source software whenever possible. And the first program I found was MySQL. I converted my ACCESS database over to MySQL and haven't looked back since. This was in 1998. Soon thereafter I found that I could write PHP web pages to display my customer database records in a lot of neat ways, so I learned to how to write PHP pages. I've been using MySQL and PHP pages ever since. MySQL is fast, it has all the features you want, and don't worry about number of records in your databases it will handle all you need.
ConsI was familiar with the linux terminal when I started using MySQL so that wasn't completely foreign to me. Of course I quickly realized database language is completely different, so I had to start learning select statement, insert delete etc. But since there weren't many complicated things I needed to do (mostly just select statements insert delete update statements) it didn't take me long to be able use the MySQL cli. Although there are GUI tools for MySQL, I never really spent much time on them, other than phpMySQL, which is a great tool for MySQL. The downside of MySQL is you have to learn its language. And that takes time. But then again that's the beauty of MySQL.
June 25, 2018
Carlos Aogusto M.
Director General
April 16, 2018

“Excellent database management system”

OverallI am a developer of systems under web environment, and in many opportunities I use the MySQL database manager, it is a fundamental tool in my team for a long time.
ProsMySQL is open source software that allows anyone to use it and modify it. Anyone can download the MySQL source code and use it without paying. Anyone interested can study the source code and adjust it to their needs. MySQl is a relational, multi-threaded and multi-user database system with more than six million installations and is widely used in web applications, such as Drupal or phpBB, on platforms (Linux / Windows-Apache-MySQL-PHP / Perl / Python) Its popularity as a web application is mostly related to PHP, which usually appears in combination with MySQL. This database manager is one of the best in terms of performance since the speed of opreciones is very good. You can be executed in low-resource machines since the consumption of requirements for its execution is very low. It supports several opertative systems and is very easy to install and configure. There are a number of good quality software tools that provide management and development workspace functions. MySQL Workbench and TOAD for MySQL are good examples. Being open source there is a large amount of help on the Internet and this should help to reduce, in a production environment, incident handling times. Also, a lot of information so that your development team can read.
ConsA large percentage of MySQL utilities are not documented. The support for triggers is basic so there are certain limitations in what can be done with them. By handling referential integrity with non-transactional MyISAM tables. It does not treat them differently from the rest of the fields. Privileges for a table are not automatically deleted when a table is deleted. A REVOKE command must be explicitly used to remove privileges from a table.
April 16, 2018
William C.
Solution Artist
Telecommunications, Unspecified
November 23, 2016

“I started in Access/Excel, then MSSQL. Now: The only DB system we use is MySQL”

OverallA couple lifetimes ago I worked with Lotus1*2*3. In my next life I eventually settled on Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access for data storage and manipulation. I maintained the necessary tech memberships to allow access to all forms of Microsoft software, and built example systems for existing clients in both Microsoft SQL and MySQL. Hands down the MySQL based systems have always won the client vote, sometimes simply for the pricetag and sometimes for the simple open-source power of the community of available implementations. MySQL can work faster and it can work more securely. I have had a few clients who have preferred PostreSQL (because they were already married to it) and we've written a few applications for it. We've also modified many legacy Microsoft SQL applications. Usually, however, we're called in to migrate from MSSQL to MySQL any time a company actually performs any form of study to determine what's best moving forward. The criteria is simple: If the change is due to an internal or external check to find what their best answer is: The answer is always "MySQL". If, however, the solution was determined by "someone got ahold of the boss/owner/CEO and a unilateral decision was made without any other input", then the solution installed was two things: Expensive and short-lived. No joke. This applies to any software that requires data storage that we've dealt with in that last 10 years (IE: "This" lifetime). From CRM to Telephony and Web. I gave up my TechNet subscription over 6 years ago because no client had chosen a Microsoft solution for Server-side operations in three years.
ProsCost. Reliability. Ease of installation. Power.
ConsWhile I have had some complaints about error locating in the MySQL code we write, I understand that the underlying technology would be degraded by more checks and balances within the system. Plus: This concept applies equally to every version of SQL we use (Postgre and MSSQL included).
Recommendations to other buyersIt's too easy to install on a virtual system and use it to pass up the opportunity to check it out before using something else. Coding is so similar to MSSQL and PostgreSQL so the learning curve is very flat. And if you are considering a nonSQL storage method for any form of data, you should likely reconsider. MySQL allows most desktop applications for single users to become Web applications for anywhere from one user to Millions of users. It can also allow the movement of CPU usage from a local machine to a much more powerful server.
November 23, 2016
Ashish A.
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
January 14, 2018

“Best open source relational database for beginners and experienced professionals ”

OverallI are working on a recruitment drive management software. I use MySQL database to store all my dynamic application data like user, college, company, recruitment drive, student etc. MySQL provides easy to use interface to make db queries to read, update, create and deletion of data. I got benefit using MySQL in terms of reliability, speed, easy to use interface, simple query syntax and support of joins. MySQL provides easy to understand documentation to understand its insights to get the full benefit from it. I recommend MySQL to all entry level and experienced developers, administrators and engineers. It support all types of basic and enterprise level needs of storing relational data. MySQL is easily adaptable with all programming languages.
ProsMySQL is the simple, fast, popular open source and freely available database for software developer. MySQL provides adapter to integration to almost all types of programming languages. MySQL query syntax is easier to learn compared to all other database management software. It also support highly complex and advanced SQL queries. It is being maintained by Oracle. MySQL has good documentation. MySQL provides a tool called Workbench to write queries and look in the table data. MySQL provides the indexing and hashing for faster reading of data.
ConsMySQL doesn't support complex data types like: JSON and ARRAY. MySQL does not support SQL check constraints that is used to validate data stored in a column. MySQL doesn't support common table expression. MySQL doesn't support full outer joins. It is costly to increase connections limit in MySQL.
January 14, 2018
Matthew C.
Software Developer
Construction, Unspecified
April 19, 2018

“Excellent relational database manager”

OverallAs it's extremely easy to use, iv'e had no reason to change over to another database manager. However in theory it is scalable up to 8 TB, MySQL can not work efficiently with large database which is becoming a growing concern for me as my companies data is growing substantially.
Prosiv'e been developing for a few years now and using MySQL has made my programming an absolute breeze. MySQL is designed to focus on big data, especially for web development I originally used Microsoft SQL Server but chose to use MySQL instead which provides a great opportunity for a platform that is easy to integrate., is easily scaleable and has great data integrity. As i use MySQL for my company, we now have over 300 various active tables processing our data on a daily basis. Plugging into my IDE's for web development is extremely easy and reliable to work with. Because of its popularity over the years, there are solutions to nearly everything in MySQL. The amount of online learning material makes this a simple investment for anyone looking to utilize databases in their projects MySQL is a great place to start for companies that don't foresee using relational databases.
ConsPorting a MySQL application to Microsoft SQL Server, or to a competing SQL database engine, requires a significant amount work. as MYSQL is not backward compatible. Although in theory it is scalable up to 8 TB, MySQL can not work efficiently with large database.
April 19, 2018
Jordan S.
CTO/Co-Founder
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
August 22, 2019

“I love my MySQL (see what I did there)”

OverallI thoroughly enjoy working with MySQL and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. For linux hosting environments there is no other database tool of choice for me.
ProsI enjoy MySQL as a web-based SQL database tool. In particular, it's comparability with PHP makes it a formidable tool when creating hosted web applications. I myself have used MySQL to create MANY web based databases for web applications, websites and CMS powered websites alike. Very few downsides to using MySQL and it's basically globally accepted by the Web Development community.
ConsVery few things. If I had to pick something I would say that the PHPMyAdmin user interface for MySQL databases could definitely use an update. To be honest though, I'm not even sure if PHPMyAdmin is a part of MySQL or cPanel itself so take this criticism with a grain of salt.
August 22, 2019
Aníbal M.
Programador
July 7, 2018

“MySQL is very fast and powerful for small and medium projects”

OverallI have had many benefits of Mysql, my first mysql for professional use, I have installed many systems using Mysql from content managers to web applications made to measure, I have grown with mysql for many years using it both to work in companies and for particular jobs for companies. clients I have won the congratulations of my bosses as well as promotions and congratulations from my client for certain jobs
ProsMysql has been my favorite database since I started programming, it's easy to install, it's simple to find an application that connects to the database and do the administration in graphical mode, many content managers and e-commerce stores use mysql by default and has helped me carry out several projects, I like that most hosting providers have MySQL support at no additional cost. It is free this is important to reduce the costs in the projects. Mysql is certainly fast and light, the installation requirements are minimal and with few resources, I have used it in Windows and Linux without any problem in both, but the host operating system has never been a limitation and I use it in a Linux environment every time it's possible. Something I like a lot is the documentation that there is of all kinds, which helps the administration and the development of new applications.
ConsI think that mysql needs to improve in terms of the variety of data types in other databases. I find more complex types of data that are sometimes necessary, another point that should be improved is the power of the procedures that I consider limited compared to those of others. Other brands. Since Oracle bought mysql, the community is not sure about the future of this software, so it has created mistrust in me and I do not like this.
July 7, 2018
Bhavik J.
Full Stack Developer
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
September 14, 2019

“A Great Database for an organisation's need.”

OverallMy overall experience with MySQL is very positive and owing to the high performance and low operational cost, I would love to work on MySQL again.
ProsThe best thing about MySQL is that it is Open Source. The total cost of ownership in a production environment is very low and performance wise, it is very high performance database. Also, the support for MySQL over the internet is vast and very helpful.
ConsThe thing I like the least about MySQL is it requires a steep learning curve and one must be familiar with SQL concepts in order to use it efficiently. Also, for complex business logic, it tends to get very hard to handle.
September 14, 2019
April 20, 2019

“The standard for most web projects”

ProsThis is the standard for most applications online. MySQL is a powerful and professional RDBMS that has almost anything you can expect. At data level, you have: partitioning, text indexing, geo data type (you can search items near a location), and even NoSQL if you need so. Talking about systems, you can set up Master-Slave systems to improve read availability or even Master-Master for high availability. You can build more robust (but complex) systems with clusters too. MySQL has two models: propietary one and Open Source ('Community' version). The fact that this is Open Source has made it the most used RDBMS in the Internet, and the most compatible at tools level (you will find plenty of tools to manage your server via GUI, and probably the development tools you are using already work with MySQL).
ConsMySQL is mostly centered around the server. Oracle (the owner of the product) only have two or three very simple management tools (plus the CLI tool), clearly surpassed by lots of tools (both free and commercial). It means there are no official extra products around the RDBMS, like Forms, Reporting tools or so; if you need them , you will have to look for 3rd party products.
April 20, 2019
P Christopher B.
Office Assistant
Higher Education, Unspecified
July 6, 2018

“An Opensource Necessity for Any PHP Website”

OverallWhile there is a large learning curve, MySQL is a powerful tool that allows you to manipulate data easily with simple SQL statements.
ProsMySQL first and foremost is an opensource database management system. That in and of itself makes it extremely valuable as it is already free. Essentially, MySQL allows you to create different databases. Within these databases, you can have any number of tables. These tables can hold all kinds of information. From unique ids to integers to strings, almost any kind of data can be stored in their database system. It runs based on the SQL language which makes sorting data a breeze and search functions are brilliant once you learn the language. I often use MySQL in relation to PHP websites, and it is integrated seamlessly. Pulling data from a database, adding to it, and updating information is very simple using this program. It's a very powerful tool with a lot of features. Furthermore, it also is easy to install on almost any website as long as you have ftp access.
ConsMySQL is not easy to use. While there are a ton of different features, you need to know what you are doing. It is a large learning curve and can take a lot of time for users to get a hang of it. Once the learning curve is breached, it becomes quite a bit easier, Breaching that learning curve is tough, however. Furthermore, MySQL runs slow on large tables. While this is understandable, updates could be made to increase the speed of the program.
July 6, 2018
Anand N.
Freelance Writer and Blogger
Online Media, Self-employed
August 24, 2019

“Powerful free database software”

OverallThe MySQL is mainly used as a backend for content management systems aka CMS. I can easily manage MySQL database and the corresponding tables using the web-based tool. Moreover, the creation of databases and tables are easy.
ProsThe big advantage of MySQL is that the database is available free of cost. The MYSQL can be used with web-based content management systems such as WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, and others. Actually, the amount of software that employs MYSQL is higher than any other database package. As a blogger, I work with WordPress and I found it convenient to use MYSQL. I need not have to learn the database commands since most of the work is done in the background. I just need to open PHYMYAdmin to work with the tables and run commands. If you would like to manage ySQL databases, then you can make use of third-party sofrtware tools.
ConsThe MySQL is not fully compatible with Windows servers. I had faced several errors while working with WordPress and other tools using Windows servers. I have concerns about the security of the MySQL database but it can be rectified by adopting stronger passwords.
August 24, 2019
Ramon D.
Tecnico em desenvolvimento
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
August 2, 2019

“FLEXIBLE DATABASE”

OverallWe have a financial application and the database used is mysql, we have many simultaneous requests
ProsMain database, with numerous configuration possibilities, from login type, to different backups and exportation;
ConsSimple tasks such as INSERT, SELECT, UPDATE, and DELETE are easy to understand, but replication and other tasks require a little more dedication.
August 2, 2019
Ramindu D.
Software Technical Lead
Computer Software, 10,001+ employees
May 16, 2019

“The de facto standard for relational databases”

OverallMySQL has made it possible to set up and rapidly deploy small-scale applications which require a relational database. If effectively managed, it can be applied to large-scale applications as well.
ProsMySQL is the DBMS you go to for any of your relational database needs; it sets the standard for how a relational database should behave and provides a lot of advanced features as well. With the recent improvements such as adding the JSON data type it can act as a hybrid between relational and document-based databases as well.
ConsMySQL can be a pain to scale, and suffers from some complex configuration issues.
May 16, 2019
Daniel R.
Consultor Jr
Information Services, 201-500 employees
August 10, 2018

“My mysql Experience”

OverallIf u have a small size and medium size business, with data that does not require a lot of security use Mysql for sure and by far the best option
ProsSimply amazing, the response speed of the query both in the bath and in the phpyadmin interface. The low cost of the resources required makes it suitable for applications and programs of small to medium size which makes it really functional, personally in my previous work and by company policies that only required open source applications and Free, mysql me It was the perfect answer because it had everything, speed, optimization, performance, easy to install and manage
Cons As an administrator I have always tried to achieve the standardization of all my systems, both in codification and in the behavior of the databases and in mysql I have found many failures that even with (more than 15 years in the market), errors are found without the proper documentation, errors that even the community of oracle and mysql have not been able to solve, to the nomenclature of the errors is very generic and a single error code can refer to several different errors
August 10, 2018
August 15, 2019

“MySQL database management system”

OverallI have 15 years of experience with MySQL. I usually use LAMP stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) for web applications development.
Pros- MySQL is simple. It's is easier to learn MySQL than MSSQL or MongoDB. - There are many UI tools that we can use to manage data in MySQL (e.g. Phpmyadmin, SQLpro etc.). - It is free. - It works on different operation systems.
Cons- I'm not sure why but no one use it for desktop and mobile applications. - It's pretty slow when we work in a very large database. By very large I mean 100M records in one table.
August 15, 2019
Michael B.
Coordinator of Network and Technology Services
Education Management, 201-500 employees
December 5, 2018

“MySQL - Because you don't want to Pay for SQL.. do you?”

OverallUsing mySQL and phpmyadmin (my preferred management GUI), has allowed me to in-source a number of services we used to pay for. Freely hosting our SQL Servers and running a number of internally developed programs, or some opensource alternatives have changed our expenditures overnight. You are essentially on your own, if you need support, but have a good backup strategy, keep your data safe, and you should be good to go. If you are looking for a SQL database, MySQL is the first place you should look.
ProsMySQL can be operated for Free. Yes Free. I have a handful of servers I pay a great deal of money for. But Free? What? Yes Free. MySQL gives you a nice SQL Database Engine that can allow to host a number of databases, tables, and you name it. Pair it with your favorite web app, or desktop app, and you have a powerhouse.
ConsMySQL does not have a "GUI" per say. By default, you are expected to manage everything through a command-line. Most webhosts have 3rd party scripts, or front-ends to help you with this initial step. But there are a number of decent tools to assist with this. For very busy loads, MySQL might be a little cpu intensive.
December 5, 2018
Nairoby D.
Consultor
Telecommunications, 1001-5000 employees
August 22, 2018

“The common”

OverallMy experience using mysql has been satisfactory, for 5 years I used it together with joomla for the administration of a web page.
Pros- It is one of the most downloaded worldwide, it is easy to use with graphic tools such as Phpmyadmin for example. - It is very linked to web programming, so, content managers such as Joomla or Drupal place it as their first option, within the technical requirements, the latest versions indicate that they should use the version of mysql 5.5.3. - I recommend working with mysql when you are studying or starting in the world of programming to practice the sql language. - It allows to work with relational databases, personally I have not worked with large volumes of data so I can not say that it handles them without problems, however with a web page that stored multimedia material developed in Joomla I was very good. - Mysql can be used in any operating system, I relate it directly to windows since it is very easy to install in the famous packages that include php + mysql + apache. - Various adaptations or forks have been generated from mysql, such as MariaDB - In general, it has all the advantages of a database manager, robust, simple, flexible
Cons- I have read that it does not have a lot of documentation, however, I think that it should be searched better, since the forums are the best allies. - Personally a cons, is that it has been purchased by Oracle. - MySql has double licensing
August 22, 2018
Zlatko V.
Web Developer
August 27, 2019

“Free Database for small or large scale projects”

OverallI use it on daily basis, running queries from workbench software and from projects code, creating tables and new instances of the database.
ProsIts free, regularly updated, fast and reliable, backwards compatible, intuitive, user friendly interface, widely used, compatible with almost all programming languages i know and use....
ConsReally cant think of any cons.... as a web developer i can't say i have some issues with the database. Probably the fact that its company owned and not community driven but still pretty solid database
August 27, 2019
Taddes K.
July 23, 2019

“MySQL is the ideal platform for managing relational databases”

OverallDaily use of managing relational data in our databases.
ProsA terrific tooling and collection of resources to manage and access relational databases. If you know SQL and have a business purpose requiring a relational database, MySQL is by far the most supported and documented (related to Postgre, etc.). Windows or Mac use is well supported with MySQL workbench and other builds and distributions including Sequel Pro and MAMP make integrating with different servers provide great flexibility.
ConsInstallation and issues with versioning, external dependencies and access can be major issues. MySQL is a terrific platform when it works, but you must know a decent amount regarding system administration to be sure you do not cause problems with other services that depend on the SQL server. Being especially careful with updates in relation to language packages with Python, PHP, etc can cause some real headaches. Use either their distributions on the website or brew on MacOS.
July 23, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
August 8, 2018

“MySql in my daily life”

OverallI used this product in my daily basis. Everytime i need to check credentials from back end table. Always check the data from back end whenever faced issue on some display. Using in-built function like ranking(), concat(), reverse(), substring(), etc.
ProsWith this product, I can easily manage, organize and manipulate the data. It helps a lot in my daliy life to handle the data with stored procedures, triggers, cursors, functions, views etc. Easil adding new schemas in a table by simply using create table syntax or adding/modifying data with insert/update/alter query. Maximum of my work done from back end (MySql), if data is not coming in the table then i just check the table columns values. The best thing i like kt most is that it is open source application, anyone can easily use it.
ConsMySQL manages the large amount of stored procedures, functions, views, tables with number of columns but it doesnt handle with efficient manner. Sometimes, the transactions with large amount of data cannot done with good manner, it impacts on performace of the displays.
August 8, 2018
Deepak M.
Senior Engineer - Product Development
July 16, 2019

“Excellent Open Source RDBMS to cater small and medium projects”

OverallI have use MySql a lot for small projects, and light weight web applications.Its easy to interact and implement. A cloud version of mysql "Amazon Aurora" in AWS gives very reliable and scalable RDBMS features is worth looking into
Pros1. Open-source RDMS, also available in Amazon Web Services. 2. Easy to learn and implement, less complexity in installation and maintenance. 3. Cross Platform compatibility like Mac, Windows and Linux, 4. Command line operations are easy to perform, also MSSql Workbench software which is availble on mysql website helps a lotin gaining good insights and manage the mysql database and track realtime metrics like storage , RAM usage, queries per second, connections etc.
Cons1. For large data or concurrent operations, it takes a performance hit, and over utilization of resources ,in such cases it is not as reliable as compared to Oracle or MS SQL Server. 2. Full fledge stored procedure functionality not available compared to other databases like Postgresql. 3. Also Scalability is a concern.
July 16, 2019
September 22, 2019

“Best database application”

Overalli used mysql for my simple applications development as data storage. support is high.
Proshighly support with relational databases. can connect with any language with simple driver file. it speed and highly accurate.
Consthere are some problem occur when we have large numbers of records in my database. not support with non relational databases with highly
September 22, 2019
Telecommunications, 501-1000 employees
August 13, 2019

“Best open source Database”

OverallI am working with hundreds of MySQL servers in our datacenter. We provide telecommunication solutions to our clients. We have a massive amount of web applications. Most of them connected to MySQL servers. We have MySQL InnoDB clusters as well. Working with MySQL is quite easy and less overhead to the Administrator. MySQL has comprehensive documentation. Therefore no need to take help from the community. But MySQL still has a massive community.
Pros#Open source #Easy to Install and Administrate #Massive community support #Comphrensive Documentation #Heavily customizable
Cons#Shared nothing (Architecture) #Need more resources #Not suitable for high extensive applications
August 13, 2019
Jacob H.
Computer Programmer
Telecommunications, 1001-5000 employees
December 8, 2018

“The best database management system that exists”

OverallMy experience with Mysql has been in perfect conclusion, since I started using this database manager I have always used it, for the creation of the databases of the respective systems that I have coded, and the truth is that the speed and ease that allows you is unmatched, without a doubt for me the best, the only thing is that at first it can be a little more complex because of the lack of documentation but once you know how to use it, you are not looking for any other option, it is perfect for the realization of web applications in particular.
ProsIn my opinion, it is the best database manager and the things I like most about Mysql are: 1. It is an open source database and therefore it can be used by anyone who wants it without having to pay. 2. The speed in performing operations in the database is much more effective than any other that can be achieved in the market. 3. It is super effective to be used in any equipment that is desired since the requirements it needs are low and therefore there is no problem in what kind of hardware the database is being prepared. 4. Easy to install and configure in addition to being supported by many operating systems. 5. Very low probability that the data is corrupted and also its speed and security make it undoubtedly one of the best. And there are a host of positive features that mysql has, without a doubt the best system for database creation.
ConsAs for negative things, I do not have much to say more than perhaps more documentation is needed about their use and that is not usually as intuitive as others.
December 8, 2018
Gareth N.
Web Developer
September 15, 2019

“The only database you'll ever need”

OverallI'm happy with MySQL, we use it on every single project and it just works. It's reliable and for the most part can be tweaked and configured to whatever we need it to do.
ProsI like that MySQL is the go-to database for the tech stack that we use. MySQL has great references online as well as available for download, you also have years and years worth of community blogs, tutorials and support related forums. Any issue that you run into has mostly been solved many times over. I also like the fact that there are so many GUI's to use to make interacting with your database a breeze. You're spoiled for choice. The fact that you can use MySQL for 99% of use cases makes it an invaluable tool in your arsenal.
ConsThe only thing that I could fault it with is the errors thrown on malformed queries. If you've been writing queries long enough then you'd most likely spot the issues but having clear error messages would make life a whole lot easier.
September 15, 2019
Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees
July 31, 2019

“At the top of relational databases”

OverallExcellent for networked projects on any operating system, especially on the Internet. Also for the possibility of automating the backup of data.
ProsRelational power, its diffusion among Providers because it is offered in free or very cheap prices, security in data processing and transaction, tools to manipulate data, import and export, various open source software with which it is possible manage its database like HeidiSQL and the more well-known phpMyAdmin usually available via browser in the control panels of websites. I emphasize in particular the use of MySQLWorkbench released by Oracle (owner of MySQL) a highly effective tool to remotely access all database functions remotely.
ConsA certain intricacy that does not make the access to all his features easily understandable. But it is a professional software that requires a certain commitment to learn its functions, its character and a dose of detail to enjoy all its power.
Philip M.
Dev
Education Management, 51-200 employees
August 16, 2018

“MySQL is powerful, flexible and a true RDBMS!”

OverallI can say that MySQL is my favorite RDBMS because ever since I never had a problem connecting and designing my back-end. I don't want to consider any RDBMS because MySQL is a true definition of "flexible" RDBMS.
ProsWho does not want free and open-source software? Who does not want RDBMS software that has the features of all database functions that you are looking for? I love MySQL very much because of its FOSS nature, flexibility, reliability and dependability. I always use MySQL in systems I am developing and designing regardless of the programming language. It's truly a powerful back-end applications that incorporate encryption to all important data of my database. I can assure that RDBMS has a property of ACID - atomicity, consistency, isolation and durability. All transaction-related tasks are safely executed.
ConsNothing! So far, I can have database connections perfectly fine with MySQL. I love also MySQL documentations and community support.
August 16, 2018
AlirioRivero B.
Asesor Inmobiliario Certificado
May 27, 2018

“It's a user friendly platform, short learning curve. Many tools available. Easy to create database”

ProsMySql is an robust relational database software, Best of all, it is FREE on small and media scales business, it's supported on much operating systems. It's very easy to use and a lot of people are able to understand easier. Tons of online tutoriales. in other words, It's the database for the Web. You do not need specialized help. There's a very big users comunity. It offers fast solution complex database problems for sample the Export Function prove ways to manipulate data.
ConsMySQL was an open-source database. Since 2009 Oracle purchase Sun Microsystems (including MySQL) for 7.5 billons causing user and developers to begin to debating the fate of the open-source database. MySQL has now propietary and close-source modules.MySQL hasn't changed direction dramatically since it was acquired by Oracle, but Oracle still owns it, which make some developers nervous. Oracle does not accept patches or provide a public roadmap.
May 27, 2018
Victor N.
Director de Planes Urbanos
April 17, 2018

“MySQL the best free database manager”

OverallIt allowed me to create my first relational database, with very little cost and scarce technological resources, which I linked to postgis and through an open source environment to mount a small gis that satisfied the requirements of the institution where I was part at that time
ProsThe tool is open source and allows to verify the fundamental questions such as the how and where of the data that has been loaded, as well as to develop new variants to the processes defined in the application, as a user you can manage the security systems and define the restrictions without much difficulty. MySQL operates in any operating system and has a very good management speed, in fact, I think it is the database manager with the best speed of response to the requested processes. Additionally, it has a very low data corruption index, which makes it a good option for data associated with the cloud. It is necessary to have a good definition of the relationships that link the different associated information tables, this will allow the behavior of the database within the manager to be excellent. It can be run on a computer with limited resources
ConsIt requires that you invest a good time in learning it, since the program is not intuitive, as the administrators of databases linked to companies. There are many processes that are not documented in detail or intended for people with little experience. Errors can be generated in processes linked to a multiple edition
April 17, 2018
Pabasara M.
Telecommunications, 201-500 employees
August 7, 2019

“MySQL - A database server with amazing features”

OverallAs software developers, me and my colleagues have been using MySQL for years. I was never disappointed with using MySQL in my projects. It's highly reliable and user friendly, with no crashes experienced up to today. I recommend MySQL for anyone who wants to have a good database experience for free.
ProsI have been using MySQL for few years since I first learned programming. MySQL server doesn't take much of my RAM and doesn't slow down my PC. The server can be protected with a password. MySQL is highly reliable and can be accessed easily with SQL Queries. I love the MySQL Workbench provided with MySQL which has an amazing user interface and consist of many interesting features. I can use it to generate ER diagrams, graphically view my data and manage the database. MySQL also providers connectors for different type of programming platforms. And after all, it's FREE!
ConsOnly problem I faced while using MySQL is the lack of proper documentation and technical support. But that's okay because I can find help from the community. And MySQL tends to slow down to some extent when I'm running large data pools.
August 7, 2019
July 18, 2019

“Super fast tool for database operations!”

Overall Since I started to use from last year of high school, currently I am in advance level and working in database operations. And for this I'd say it's been super useful for a long time in educational or working environment.
ProsSoftware has been super useful for a long time to practice/work in database operations. Besides than CLI environment, MySQL is pretty fast and easy to get outputs in proper formatting in GUI vers. Safety of data is also thing that should be mentioned in advantages of software. It is totally secured as far as I learned in last 2-3 years. Basically MySQL is the best to modify, store in cloud environment. Syntax of software is also super easy which you can learn quickly in intense learning methodology. And in financial way, MySQL is super cheaper than other database options.
ConsPerhaps it'd be better if MySQL patching would be public not directed by Oracle, and company should be open to all those public patching. In this case it would be super better than right now. I heard some collegues of my workplace that developers are getting little bit "sad" regarding this :)
Marco F.
Administration, Finance and Control Plant Manager
Pharmaceuticals, 1001-5000 employees
February 9, 2019

“Good for custom web-based DB backed implementations”

OverallAs Finance manager I led a project to develop a web-based system to share payroll receipts to thousands employees in our factory. For that purpose we built some kiosks with printers embedded (client-side) and a Linux server running a cloud platform. MySQL engine has been the best solution to run the cloud system and store thousands payroll records per week, and allows a secure encrypted access through kiosk terminals.
ProsMost valuable features: - High compatibility with most web-based open-source platforms, like CMS, clouds, e-commerce, blogs. - State of the art of SQL language - Highly intuitive admin interface for almost every task - Can be host on cloud or on-premise in your local infrastructure
ConsMySQL is not for everybody, to be used proficiently you need some knowledge about DB architecture, SQL syntax for queries, and admin skills to properly set privileges. Despite that, most of open-source platforms that use MySQL to store data include automatic setup in their install routines.
February 9, 2019
Debjit B.
Freelancer
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
September 15, 2018

“My only reliable database server/software.”

OverallI love the open-source idea and there are lots of tutorials on how you can make things work. If you got an error you can search and get the result as quickly as possible. I have opensource MySQL GUI which workes very good. Mysql has lots of software and you can accomplish any work with them. It's simple and updated frequently which I love the most.
ProsThis is one of the software(RDBMS) I use on daily basis. My every work which need to store data is saved on this database server. It is really easy to set up, easy to use. Have lots of opensource database GUI/editor. As an opensource project it is secure and lots of tutorials. It is the best RDBMS available in the market and it's free of cost. You can use most of the software with MySQL as a database.
ConsMysql server needs a big (more than 512mb ram) amount of ram and IoT (Less ram) cant use my SQL as their primary database. The complexcity of this database a bit high. You need lots more knowledge then other to purform any task.
September 15, 2018
Gavin D.
Software Developer
September 20, 2019

“Best software to get started with Data Base”

OverallHave been using it since the Batchelor's days to integrate the database into my web/app projects. Learned SQL using MySQL. Used it for my Android Application, Php applications and have used it with many other systems.
ProsA lot of functionality. Can be integrated with a lot of development stacks. Easy to learn, understand and configure.
ConsThe User Experience is out-dated. Searching for the data is not easy.
September 20, 2019
July 22, 2019

“best database management application ever”

Overallit an awesome database management application ever i used. very simple.
Proscan user freely. simple and very easy to user. can config with many computer languages and frameworks. can use in local computer also. less resources can maintain the mysql database. beast simple database ever i used. relational database support
Consits simple hard to use with large application. (getting slow). hard to keep text based database
July 22, 2019
Dilraj S.
Sr. Software Developer
Computer Software, 501-1000 employees
July 20, 2019

“Relational Databases for implementing robust system architecture”

OverallMySQL is a really good tool for building your project or product database architecture from the scratch. There are variety of features available in MySQL which can help in making a robust and scalable platform for your project or product for future.
ProsRelational databases like MySQL are great for building a robust and scalable database architecture from the scratch. The SQL server is optimised for enabling faster queries for your system's data and provides variety of features like triggers, transactions, views for building up your system efficiently. Features like geofencing are really easy to develop as MySQL has an inbuilt support for the same.
ConsMySQL is relational database which means the tables schema and the relations between them need to defined from the start. Databases like NoSQL do not need a defined schema and any changes to the schema can be easily implemented in them unlike in MySQL.
July 20, 2019
December 21, 2017

“Powerful and Flexible database engine ”

ProsSetup a SQL database with simple to use tools. MySQL workbench lets you configure the my.ini or my.cnf. Alternatively you can edit directly in the config file depending on your preference. Runs on Windows, Linux or Mac One server can run multiple database. Security options are comprehensive so where needed you can only allow certain options for certain users. Indexes can significantly improve the speed of returning results. Manual backups can be performed.
ConsMySQL is a comprehensive tool if you know SQL. Writing simple queries is easy, writing complex queries working over multiple tables is complex although this is an issue of SQL not necessarily MySQL. Although it could autosuggest things better. Making to many indexes creation can lead to larger database files and logs. Automatic backup is a premium feature and not included with workbench as standard.
December 21, 2017
Abhishek S.
New Product Development Lead
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees
October 7, 2019

“Rapid deployment and reliability”

OverallMySQL has proven to be helpful in developing complex applications although it has caused some bottlenecks with the data type which needed an effort to bypass it. MySQL is lightweight and stable. The complex application involved communication with various databases located on various machines but with MySQL, it was easy to get that done effectively in time.
ProsEasiness to install and deploy on any Linux and Windows machine through an automated script has made complex applications easy to deploy and update. The best part of MySQL is the ability to implement the foreign keys, which helps in deleting and updating the data stored in tables; without the need of writing an additional script.
ConsThey are a few issues while using MySQL database the major issue was it doesn't support the dictionary data type. It resulted in programming difficulty so I had to convert the dictionary into a string and then pass it to the database for storage. After fetching the data back from tables stored as string it has to be reconverted to a dictionary so it can be used by a robot control system which was a painful task.
October 7, 2019
Will S.
Programmer
August 1, 2019

“Easy to set up and use”

OverallGood, solid and reliable tool
ProsI am still amazed that this is a free product. It works great, has tons of support resources available on-line and works reliably every day!
Consnot much negative to say. I wish there were some tools for things like SQLServers stored procedures that executed more efficiently.
August 1, 2019
Steven H.
Engineer
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
July 25, 2019

“Great Open Source product”

ProsI like this product because it is free and so widely available for many projects. It has a relatively easy GUI to move through and figure out with little training.
ConsIt can be kind of heavy on the system it is installed on, but this is partly due to the nature of the program and is not entirely the fault of the developers.
July 25, 2019
Anoop J.
Senior Software Engineer
May 17, 2019

“Preface to MySQL with Other Database Management Systems”

Overall90% of our client websites of small and medium scale enterprises are working with MySQL. Till date there is not any issues raised by them on database problems.
ProsThe ease of availability of MySQL package right from installation, deployment and implementation is the most important advantage. Following that, the mysql backend command line implementation is also hazzle free for an intermediate or expert user. For an average data handling website or web portal MySQL is the best option for Database.
ConsFor a server system with too much MySQL hits, the database can go hang or down and it may take 15 -30 minutes to re-stabilize this software daemon. So if the website is too much data drawn it would be better to use PostgreSQL or NoSQL rather than MySQL
May 17, 2019
Raul M.
IT Manager
March 31, 2018

“Good, cured and free database engine. What else?”

OverallAn excellent database with many years of experience and improvement...and it's even free!
ProsAlthough this database is aimed for the tech savvy, we did not have any problem at all in the 12 years that we've been using it. No corruptions, no data loss and free. Performance is good. May be a little slower than others in huge databases although we didn't get to that point yet. We have tables with millions of records that query and update even quicker than SQL server. The community is enormous and searching the web you can get help with any issue or doubt. It can be used as server over Windows and Linux OS's, beeing the latter the one that ofers the best performance of both. Paid support is available.
ConsIn Linux maintenance, updates and all that stuff is done using command line which is ok but not that convenient. Of course there are third party tools.
March 31, 2018
Ricardo M.
Director del Observatorio Social y Político
March 10, 2018

“My experience with MySQL is very good, a very light and easy to handle database.”

OverallMySQL allows me to create a database for a website in a quick and easy way without major worries. When I'm going to make a simple system, I only think of MySQL.
ProsMy experience with MySQL is very good, a very light and easy to handle database.My experience with MySQL is very good, a very light and easy to handle database. The sql statements are simple, it is a database that can be installed on almost any computer, it does not have many hardware requirements. In addition, it is available in almost all hosting providers. I like to connect it with web systems.
ConsMySQL is not recommended for large volumes of data, since queries become extremely slow. Also, you can not use prepared statements, you can only create dynamic SQL statements (concatenating strings), in these cases you have to use tools like addslashes, htmlspecialchars and others; and the other, is not object oriented.
March 10, 2018