Patriot Payroll Ratings

Overall

About Patriot Payroll

Patriot Software offers online payroll to save you time and money. Made for USA small business owners with 1-100 employees. Choose the payroll option right for you: Basic Payroll - base price $10/mo. + $4 per employee. Full Service Payroll - Base price $30/mo + $4 per employee. You run payroll, but let us handle the payroll tax filings. Free direct deposit, or print paychecks. Learn more about Patriot Payroll

Neal P.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

“Bang for your buck!”

OverallI had tried ADP and PAYCHEX before switching to Patriot. As a sole proprietor running a small business, I was not prepared to handle payroll taxes. ADP was so expensive, i felt. Paychex had me depend on a person to take my info and process it. That person was off one day when my payroll needed completed and i missed payroll! That didn't go over well. For the last few years we have used and fallen in love with the simplicity of Patriot. I input the numbers and it gives me a PDF to print onto my checks instantly. It's all I ever wanted.
Pros1.) Its simple to use. 2.) Its cheap. 3.) Full featured but lets me print my own checks instantly.
ConsI thought at first that Patriot was going to send out the Tax documents to my employees. But that wasnt the case. That was a bummer as i wasnt at first prepared. But it makes since that we should send them to know we meet our deadlines and have proof they were sent.

By Patriot Software on September 6, 2019
Neal, you've made our day! Thank you for spreading the word about Patriot!
Tony B.
Executive recruiter
Construction, 501-1000 employees
February 16, 2018

“Patriot Payroll has great customer service and is easy to use!!”

OverallThis is a very user-friendly and inexpensive way to get payroll done. This software has saved our company a lot of time and money. I would recommend this product to small and medium-size companies.
ProsThe customer support is very effective and made Implementation process very smooth. The process for logging employee hours and applying deductions are very easy to understand and straightforward. This product has a very user-friendly UI that is clean and very intuitive, this makes reporting very flexible. This is a cost effective solution for small companies as long as you do not need extensive job costing integration into an accounting system.
ConsThe direct deposit functionality is very restrictive at times and they require that the payroll is processed by Monday for it to be distributed to the employee's account on Friday. Patriot Payroll does use ADP as a third party to do the direct deposits. This doesn't really work well with our paperless environment. After you have entered hours you can not go back and correct any mistakes you may have made on a payroll deduction. This is frustrating at times. You have to delete the entire payroll, edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. This makes the software feel very clunky, an alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re-run another payroll.

By Patriot Software on February 20, 2018
Tony, as of December 2018, we no longer use a third party to manage direct deposit. Everything is seamless and in our software. Did you know that if you are paying your employees by direct deposit, and have set them up with the free employee portal, no printing is necessary on your end? Employees can log in to their employee portal and download paystubs from their if needed, making your payroll paperless. :)
February 16, 2018
Crystal S.
Medical Practice, 1-10 employees
September 16, 2019

“Honest Patriot Payroll Review”

OverallThis software has saved me a huge amount of money regarding payroll.
ProsCost was a big thing especially compared to other accounting software. It is easy to use.
ConsI wish it was easier to calculate the PTO part.

By Patriot Software on September 17, 2019
Hi Crystal, Thank you for your terrific review. We wanted to let you know that in addition to the free manage time off feature, we also have time off accruals where you can set up "rules" so employees earn their PTO hours based on the number of hours worked. Please check out our help article on how to set those up,(https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/help/setting-up-company-time-off-accrual-rules/) or chat or call us! We are here to help.
September 16, 2019
Marshall M.
Owner / Solution Architect
July 6, 2018

“A low-cost Payroll service”

ProsIt's one of the lower cost full-service payroll providers out there, and it has an attractive feel, and will appeal to business owners who are not full-time HR professionals. The dashboard is straightforward, decently uncluttered, and shows useful information at a glance, with the ability to quickly dive into more information as necessary. Running payroll is also relatively easy once everything is set up, and with full-service payroll, they will take care of all filings as well which is nice. The service is pay as you go, cancel anytime without penalty.
ConsRunning a payroll is a manual process, and when entering hours there doesn't seem to be a method for uploading a spreadsheet or any import process. For some businesses with many employees this would be tedious, unless you use their time tracking service as well (at an additional fee). They offer additional services, which may appeal to some businesses, such as accounting, but unfortunately they leave those menus intact regardless of if you have the product or not. The result was that as I learned the product, I often found myself on screens that unhelpfully said I don't have a subscription for this. In my opinion those options are cluttering up space, I don't need a constant reminder for a service I don't need. The only reason it is there is for gratuitous upsell, which doesn't help user experience. The biggest con for me, and the reason I ultimately chose another service, is the setup process. While I'd imagine it wasn't necessary difficult, it was overly complex, and involved printing documents, scanning, initialing, and steps other services don't require (or simplify) for setting up services such as Direct Deposit. Working with customer support felt like talking to a robot, not a human, who stood behind her curtain of company policies and couldn't engage in real conversation or sympathy for a frustrated customer. In 2018, we have enough robots to talk to, when we speak to a human they should really sound like one.
July 6, 2018
Vickey R.
Accounting Firm Owner
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
October 9, 2018

“Great Software for the Price!”

OverallOverall, Patriot Payroll works very well for my bookkeeping business and I would highly recommend them for other bookkeepers, small business owners, and nonprofits. I was using a very expensive full service payroll software that works inside of QBO...but had so many issues with them that when I switched to Patriot...it was a breath of fresh air! Their support was so much more "supportive" and being able to control the payroll transactions in QBO was wonderful! AND paying a fourth of the monthly fee of the "other" payroll software for better and more reliable software was nice too!
ProsI use Patriot Software for all of my bookkeeping software because it is reliable and easy to use. It also cost a fraction of what other full service payroll software cost. Their Support staff is awesome and seems more knowledgable than the support reps I talked with my prior full service payroll provider. The payroll reports are easier to run and have the detail I need for my church clients. Setting up the unique compensation and taxes for churches is MUCH easier in Patriot also.
ConsI don't like the journal entries (JE) Patriot automatically creates when you connect them to QBO. Better account mapping capabilities would solve that issue...but in the meantime I just turn off that feature and enter my own payroll JEs in QBO. I also don't like that I can't assign one employee to 2 or more different locations. You also can't assign more than one pay rate per employee. I have one client that is an employee of the church and of the church's preschool with different pay rates for both. Patriot helped me set up a work around...but it is not ideal. BUT even with these cons...I still love the software and am happy with their service.
October 9, 2018
William R.
March 16, 2017

“What a life saver”

OverallEven with the check printing challenges, I love the service. Nothing is perfect. We have been with Patriot for over a year now and our experience has been very consistent. We moved from another payroll service that cost about the same but did far less and had issues several times a year. I feel Patriot Software is fair. Most of the time when companies of multi service options as "piece meal" solution, the company does this in order to maximize the appearance of low cost. With Patriot, it is not the case, in my opinion it is to allow business owners to pick what their company needs.
ProsEasy to use web interface and good help functions if you need them. Quick service if you have questions with their chat help feature. Very knowledgeable staff every time I have spoken to them. Patriot offers many options to pick from in order to meet each business needs. System just works without issues. If you choose, they will file all of your forms for you and I think it is well worth it. The employee portal is a great tool that allows employees to access their information at any time without using any man hours.
ConsThe printing of checks is the biggest issue we have found. It does print well once you setup. Printer setup is a bit challenging. The second part of the check printing issue is when you print on check voucher laser checks, no matter how you setup, it really does not print info in the right areas. Also unsure why you have to enter a check number on the "print payroll" page in order to download the file to print check with. Check numbers are already printed on the checks.
March 16, 2017
Karen F.
Owner/Physician
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
September 13, 2019

“I tell everyone about Patriot Software!”

OverallI was really desperate to get another payroll system after several years of frustration with Paychex. When I first saw that I would be the one handling all the payroll, I was very intimidated by the concept! After all, I went to medical school, not business school. Then, I realized, if Paychex can repeatedly mess up the payroll, I was fairly sure that I could do it competently with the Patriot team's help. And it was the smartest business decision that I have made. It is so easy to set up, and running a payroll takes less than 10 minutes- including the time to print out a report! As a business person, it puts me in control and is an easy tool to use. Love would be a strong word to use but let's just say, when the patriot jingle comes on the radio, I smile and sing along! Oh- and it costs half of what Paychex was costing for doing the same thing! Can't beat that!
ProsThe software is so easy to use and the company support is phenomenal!!!
ConsThe only con is that I didn't know about Patriot when I was starting my business! I lost hundreds of dollars and hours of frustration with Paychex!
September 13, 2019
Carol M.
Co-owner
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
July 6, 2016

“Used it for a month, liking it so far.”

OverallTook me awhile to navigate everything, mostly because we've never employed anyone before. I needed help to get started and great customer service to get me through the process since I was unfamiliar with all that was needed. They took me from New Hire to setting up the payroll. You can print checks or write them out yourself. It's been pretty smooth. Competitively priced.
ProsIt was pretty easy once I got all the forms from the employees and numbers I needed from the state and bank. PS is right their to help you. They don't send a bazillion e-mails but a check up once in awhile. I have only been using it for about a month but so far so good. I did have the advantage of a friend's experiences with other payroll software...she's been through 3 or 4 so far. So I didn't give those a try at all. They will run my 1099's and W-2's at the end of the year for me. We do need to request some services as they don't necessarily do them automatically. I've had great customer service and they patiently walk me through everything when I need it.
Cons Sometimes it's hard to know where the online info is that I need. The "check stub" gives the employee fees as well as the the employer contributions so I cut it in half. But that may be due to the fact that I write the checks instead of printing off a business payroll check. I would like them to have an option just for commission. You have to put in some hourly thing (I put $1) and then you can put in commission later in the program. So it works, it's kind of like they worked for you for an hour and you paid them $500. Expensive looking hour. Everything is online ( I am a paper in hand person...) so some times I am not sure where to find what I am looking for. However, a walk-through is just a phone call away (a Pro).
Recommendations to other buyersI chose the "full service" so I don't have to worry about filing with the Federal government and state. That makes it easy. Also, it was a little less expensive. The program was put together by a guy trying to help others (not just for the money). I liked that he wanted to help others.
July 6, 2016
Ralph P.
Business Manager
Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees
August 5, 2019

“Heard About Patriot Software On The Radio”

OverallI was using QuickBooks Non-Profit for accounting and payroll. The payroll add-on was so expensive and I had to file and pay all of my reports to the IRS, and state and local taxing authorities! By switching to Patriot all I have to do is record the transactions and file all the reports of collections, payments and filings. By switching my nerves are settled and calm knowing that everything is taken care of and is correct! No pressure now.
ProsThe cost for the services and the scope of the services provided.
ConsI don't know of anything I dislike about Patriot Software.

By Patriot Software on August 6, 2019
Thanks for sharing Ralph! We love that you no longer have to worry about payroll mistakes. Calming the nerves is one side effects of using Patriot Software. :)
Melissa C.
Executive Assistant
Restaurants, 51-200 employees
September 4, 2019

“Patriot Software”

OverallThe software is so easy to use compared to other payroll software.
ProsIt is easy to use the payroll software. You can pull reports quickly and without having to make a call to request the reports. Your tax filings are easy to pull up and see what was filed and when.
ConsThe availability of reports for a multi store company.
September 4, 2019
Harvey F.
October 3, 2019

“Great Product for the Price”

OverallI really enjoyed the software and it does a lot that these other software providers offer but for a cheaper price. I would recommend this to anyone needing a payroll solution.
ProsEase of Use, Eases of setup, Price, Reporting tools. I also like the ease of entering in the payroll time sheets for the employees. They offer great support also.
ConsExport features were complicated. I had to try several times to export to my quickbooks software before I figured it out.
October 3, 2019
Katie B.
co-Owner/Office Manager
Facilities Services, 11-50 employees
January 5, 2017

“Patriot software's Full service payroll ---save the time and hassle of payroll filing yourself”

OverallCustomer service is prompt, friendly, and helpful. When a mistake was made, they took responsibility for it and covered the fees involved. Payroll input is fairly simple, though any changes made to an employee's info must be done before you start the payroll or you have to cancel the entire payroll and start again after the employee info has been updated.
ProsIt is fairly easy to use, and if you don't know how to do something, customer support is very helpful and prompt to respond.
Cons Any changes made to an employee's info must be done before you start the payroll or you have to cancel the entire payroll and start again after the employee info has been updated. i.e. if you forget to add a wage change to one employee's info and discover this during the payroll data entry process, you have to cancel your work, update the wage info for the employee, and then start the payroll all over again.
Recommendations to other buyersTake the time to review the filing that Patriot does on your behalf. Everyone makes mistakes, and it is important to catch them earlier rather than later!

By Patriot Software on January 9, 2017
Thanks for your feedback, Katie! This is very helpful user feedback -- we'll be sure to look into ways to make inputting employee info more intuitive. Thank you so much for sticking with us -- here's to the success of your company!
January 5, 2017
Melanie H.
Individual & Family Services, 1-10 employees

“Home Child Care”

OverallPatriot allowed me to run weekly payroll for my part-time help in my In-home child care. I used a different payroll program originally but they raised their prices and combined thier payroll with other features that I did not need. Patriot gave me just what I needed and I could pick what bells and whistles that I wanted for a small extra charge.
ProsPatriot was EASY to use and running payroll for my part-time help only took a few minutes a week. Filing my quarterly 941 with the IRS was just a click and print and ready to mail. Printing out the end-of-year paperwork was a breeze. Very easy to change the number of employees when my one of my part-time workers went away to college. I like Patriot because I have the option to file my own taxes but Patriot has the capability of making my tax payments if I wanted to pay a little extra.
ConsI don't have anything that I disliked about Patriot.
bryan c.
Construction, 1-10 employees

“Very affordable”

OverallPatriot software has saved me hundreds in payroll and accounting expenses.
ProsPatriot software is more affordable and easier to use.
ConsPatriot software has performed exceptionally well. I am sure there are some shortcomings i just can't think of any off hand.

By Patriot Software on August 13, 2019
Woohoo! We love it when we save our customers money! Thanks for the great review Bryan!
Renee C.
Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees
April 2, 2018

“Full service payroll customer, and wouldn't switch elsewhere!”

OverallFull service payroll at an economical and predictable price, that does everything that I need it to.
ProsThis company provides full service payroll at a bargain price, significantly below their competitors. I have been using them since 1/2017, and have been very happy. Set up is easy, and customer service will walk you through setting up the tax accounts if you need them to. They pay all my taxes for me on time, and submit relevant quarterly and year-end reports to tax authorities. Interface is easy to use and intuitive. Once employees are set up in payroll, I can run my salaried payroll from anywhere, in about 3 clicks. They have a variety of reports to help keep track of taxes and accounting, free direct deposit for employees, and an available employee portal. Before I chose Patriot, I got quote from two other companies, all of which had higher prices and/or set up fees. I haven't compromised one thing to get my payroll through Patriot, at their very economical price.
ConsThere is really nothing I don't like. Set up of direct deposit through Natpay (a company that Patriot uses to handle this service) wasn't particularly friendly, but it was once and done. If you want direct deposit without any additional fees, Natpay needs at least three business days lead time, and if you don't make that, payroll gets pushed back a day, but, really, that's all about planning. They take your payroll out well in advance of pay date, so you have to have it in the account, but that may be all payroll companies for all I know.
April 2, 2018
Vakota m.
manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees
November 14, 2017

“Top Notch customer service, implementation and good value”

ProsThe customer service is the best feature; they are so willing to go above and beyond in getting the software setup, training, and any questions along the way. Once set up, the software is easy to use and is a very good value.
ConsI would like the reporting to be a little easier to find and more to the point. Most times, I don't need a detailed report, I just want to know how much did I pay out to employees in total and how much tax total (liability and expense) did I pay. Another thing I would like to see is a place to add accrued PTO and have it automatically add the time. Currently, I have to manually add the PTO on the 1st of every month. Setting up the Nat Pay direct deposit was a bit unsettling as there is a final step that must be completed or the employees don't get paid. This is where the staff of Patriot went above and beyond to help ensure that I didn't miss this crucial step. Still, this is a great software solution and I'm happy to have it.
November 14, 2017
Chris D.
Book keeper
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees
May 3, 2017

“Get a real company to do your payroll”

ProsIt is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.
ConsYou can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated vacation days etc, it is included. If you want your employees to be able to track it through the online portal, that will cost you additional per month. Check out the list of add-ons to determine what is important to you. They offer QuickBooks import of data, but I have yet to see how anything matches anything on the bank statement. Like taxes are deducted from payroll, they show in a different month than the payroll, and the payroll imports as the gross amount which is not the amount sent to the employee by NatPay. If you use a dummy account in your accounting software (QuickBooks) to run all the payroll functions through, this will not bother you and your accountant will made the journal entry additional adjustments. I could not get my first payroll to reconcile, and it was determined that Patriot made an error and did not collect $ 3.60 in taxes somewhere. I am going with when the taxes were going to be sent to the agency, the error would have been found and corrected (depending on the tax agency, some are sent monthly, some quarterly, some annually.) The next payrolls were done correctly. NatPay is a 3rd party vendor that facilitates the employee direct deposit. If you enter a payroll incorrectly and want to cancel, even seconds later, Patriot says it is canceled, but you have to CALL NATPAY otherwise it goes through. Be sure to not miss the pop-up warning. I was advised they are working on a better solution to make sure it is clear what to do in order to cancel a mistake payroll that was submitted. The site is not all that easy to navigate. There are report and default options that may not be easy to locate how to set. Strongly suggest that you contact customer services and they will walk you quickly through the process. I have worked with 4 different Payroll service companies over the last couple of years. They are not all the same, they each have strengths and weaknesses and wide range of costs. From what I can tell, they all do the payroll functions of collecting and distributing employee payments and taxes correctly. The big difference, besides costs, is what they include in the base price, and if/how they enter this information into your accounting system like QuickBooks. With any payroll service, you always have the option to enter it manually into your system from the paystubs which ensure it is entered how you want it.

By Patriot Software on May 5, 2017
I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot: 1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made. 2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick days or vacation days. There is a free feature in the software called "Manage Time Off". 3. Next pay periods DO automatically populate. This was a feature we added last year. 4. All payroll reports are under the Payroll tab under "Reports". We have an excellent "Payroll Details Report" where you can adjust dates and select specific employees and/or taxes to view. These can be grouped in a variety of ways: check, employee, paydate, totals 5. Once you run a payroll, a file is instantly sent to Natpay. If you void the payroll, you are correct, you will want to call Natpay and make sure the file has been canceled. Because this is a third party vendor who handles direct deposit, we can't control how their system works after the file is sent, unfortunately. We do give warning in the system to remind you. (We want to be sure your employees are only paid once.) 6. Our QB export only sends by pay date, not pay period. 7. We appreciate that we can make our navigation easier, and our UX team is on it! I'm having a customer support rep reach out to you to help you with these things. We are here for you, Chris. We want you to be among the thousands of satisfied customers Patriot serves every day!
May 3, 2017
May 3, 2019

“Awesome software...great price as well”

OverallI moved over from gusto because the price. And they do just as much as gusto. I recommend it to all my clients. They have excellent customer service. I have not had an issue with them.
ProsPrice is excellent especially for what you get.
ConsWhen sending over to QB doesn't exactly send over as it hits the bank so you have to adjust so bank can be reconciled. For example, the employer and employee taxes are separated even though they are withdrawn as one lump sum.

By Patriot Software on May 6, 2019
Thank you for the terrific review! We love helping business owners keep their time and money!
May 3, 2019
Lanita S.
October 7, 2019

“I am a fan!!”

OverallI have been very impressed with every facet of the experience with Patriot. I hope they do not falter, and continue to offer a fabulous price with robust support!
ProsI think the US based Customer Support is the greatest asset to this software. They answer quickly and have efficiently addressed any issue I have encountered. Coupled with the value, I have no problem making this my ONLY choice.
ConsThe software does not have as many features as Intuit, my second favorite option, but the price makes those inconveniences minor.
October 7, 2019
Jjohn C.
February 17, 2017

“Great and affordable total payroll and more”

OverallI have used Patriot Software for several years and love it. It's the total package. My employees handle their own time cards and payroll forms, Patriot handles all the taxes and filing. All my HR tasks are managed online as well as document handling. For the price, you can go wrong.
ProsEase of use, functionality, total package.
ConsThe only con is that I would like for it to handle multiple tax rates and tax groups better.
Recommendations to other buyersTry it out. For the vast majority of small businesses like ours, this is the perfect software package at a very affordable cost.

By Patriot Software on February 20, 2017
Thanks for your helpful feedback, John! The employee self-service is one of our favorite features, too. We're constantly working to improve our software, so be on the lookout for even more features in the future!
February 17, 2017
T R.
Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees
January 4, 2017

“Patriot Software the solution to put payroll in the easy column”

OverallWe needed a software that would handle Payroll and filings. Patriot software fit the need perfectly. No software to upgrade, no tax calculations to handle, no filing to take care of -it is all handled by a patriot. Just simply download the W2s and print and if the employee has agreed to receive an electronic W2 then attach it to their login. They enter the portal and can get directly to it. My favorite part is the no-nonsense filing. You run the payroll and the file. You can even print your checks or set up direct deposit. This software works for you not against you!
ProsYou enter the hours and process the payroll. They handle the filing and all the calculations.
ConsThey were not sure if we would be required to pay SUTA as each state is different. But a call to the state got the information we needed and a call to patriot software finished the setup.
Recommendations to other buyersUse the Free initial setup with customer support and you will be running in no time.

By Patriot Software on January 9, 2017
Wow, we are over the moon from your review! We are so happy to hear that payroll is a breeze for you. We also know that getting all your rates in order is a bit tricky -- our customer support team is always available to help sort it out, plus we've got a State Payroll Guide that outlines specific payroll info by state: http://bit.ly/2iW2JLZ Hopefully this helps and thank you for being our customer!
January 4, 2017
Lakisha S.
Performing Arts, 1-10 employees
August 21, 2019

“Easy to Use”

OverallHaving the use of direct deposit and also sending my quarterly payments in on time has saved me many headaches and stress. By using the Timekeeping, I've gotten rid of trying to track employees' time by hand which has been a huge relief.
ProsThe customer service is top-notch. Any time I've had a problem they were easy to reach and the problem was resolved that day. I also love the time card feature. It eliminated keeping track of everyone's time by hand.
ConsThere isn't anything about them I dislike. They have everything that I need to successfully run payroll.
August 21, 2019
Kelley R.
June 26, 2019

“Excellent decision to change”

OverallWe are a CPA firm and our company made a major switch from another payroll provider. The switch couldn't have been easier or smoother!! The customer support team is AMAZING and so easy and helpful to work with. We are extremely pleased that we made the switch.
ProsI love how easy it is to manage my data myself without having the "support team" have to make different changes. I love the ease and quickness of the quarterly reports. I love the 2 day direct deposit turn around.
ConsThere are a couple of reports that I had been used to getting from an other software company. I use them often, and although I have cobbled up similar ones, they aren't quite as easy to read/use. I also wish that Patriot did the new hire reporting.
June 26, 2019
paule v.
RN
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
December 9, 2018

“User friendly/ Very easy to use software”

OverallPatriot is very easy to use software. Employees gets access to update their info anytime, anywhere.
ProsYou have access to you pay stubs are able to print whenever you need them without having to deal with HR.
ConsMy employer has been using this system for over 3 years. I can only remember 1 issue where I was not able to clock out at the end of my shift. That issue was resolved by my employer without them having to call customer service. Beside that, never really had a problem with Patriot.
December 9, 2018
Stephanie B.
Stephanie
Food & Beverages, 11-50 employees
March 8, 2017

“Chose Patriot”

OverallI like that Patriot Software is very user friendly! The site isn't cluttered. The payroll reports are easily downloaded. I did a lot of price comparing before choosing Patriot! They are very reasonable and without the headaches of Quickbooks!
ProsI like that Patriot Software is very user friendly! The site isn't cluttered. The payroll reports are easily downloaded. I did a lot of price comparing before choosing Patriot! They are very reasonable and without the headaches of Quickbooks!
ConsIf I had to think of a con, it would be that if I'm in the middle of entering a payroll and I realize I need to make a change to an employee's information, I need to cancel the whole payroll or wait till next time. I understand the reasoning, so this complaint is more directed at the user!
Recommendations to other buyersI'm so glad I made the choice of Patriot for our payroll! It has made my job a lot easier!

By Patriot Software on March 9, 2017
Thank you so much, Stephanie! We put our customers and users first when designing our software. We couldn't be happier to hear that we've made your job easier! Keep sending us feedback--we're listening, and we strive to make our software even better for you.
March 8, 2017
Ray D.
Retail, Unspecified
November 1, 2015

“Simple & Straightforward without breaking our Small Business”

ProsThis product is so simple and easy. No software to install or updates on the software, this is a web portal (aka "the cloud") where you can essentially log in from any computer. Testing this out for 1 month was a breeze. It's not complicated and the GUI is straightforward and not riddled with numerous options so you know exactly what you're looking for.
Cons2 things ... (1) if you made a mistake on a payroll check you can't go and easily re-submit the correct hours, you have to cancel the payroll check and start all over. Somewhat of a nuisance, but I can understand the IT security logic for not wanting this to be "open access" for anyone because fraud would run rampant. But I've made mistakes on checks and had to start all over again... (2) is they are open from 8a-5p EST time zone. If you're on any other time zone don't wait until 8pm at night when you've got a problem and need some help.
Recommendations to other buyersFrom the get go this was just easy as apple pie. As a small business owner I looked at other solutions, but this seemed to fit our needs perfectly without paying an exorbitant amount of money.
November 1, 2015
Jerry S.
October 1, 2019

“Outstanding option”

OverallI prep payroll for about 20 clients. It usually takes about 20 hours but that includes times spent making payroll entries in the accounting software. I use the full-service option so payroll tax deposits and reporting are handled (mostly) flawlessly.
ProsThis software handles virtually any small biz payroll need. The support is usually superb, and the price can't be beat.
ConsPatriot calls most benefit payments a 'money type.' Right now, most money types have to be manually entered every payday for every employee. I prep payroll for a bunch of churches and have to enter clergy housing allowance manually for every affected employee. A bit of a hassle...but Patriot tells me they're working on recurring money types (alas, they've been telling me that for three years!). Even with that, it's still a great deal.
October 1, 2019
Jaime R.
Director of Administrations
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
June 13, 2017

“This company is easy to use, and customer service is 100% RELIABLE EVERY TIME I CALLED. Value for what they do versus what you pay is amazing!!”

OverallI highly recommend this product. They are WAY cheaper than any other payroll company that I looked into, and the services Patriot Software offers versus other payroll companies was the exact same, if not better.
ProsI love that answering questions during the set up process was easy. I also loved that the first month was free so you could try out their software risk free. Every time I called them (and it was a lot because I had no idea what I was doing) they were very knowledgeable which made me feel like I could trust them. They never got impatient with me or made me feel bad because I had so many questions. Each representative patiently sat with me on the phone to walk me through anything I needed, for sometimes 20 to 30 minutes at a time.
ConsI wish they had a 24 customer service because I had more free time to set things up after everyone goes to bed at night. But that's such a slight thing, I wouldn't really count that as much of a con.
June 13, 2017
prentiss i.
controller
Automotive, 11-50 employees
July 26, 2016

“Patriot Payroll review ”

Overallgreat customer service, price is 80% less than what we paid our previous service adp. we can get through to real people and not be on hold
Prosgreat customer service, price is 80% less than what we paid our previous service adp. easy to implement, very intuitive
Consthe direct deposit functionality is very restrictive. they require that the payroll be processed by monday to be in the employee's account on friday. they use a third party to do the direct deposits.(with adp you can do it right up the the day before payday) i think they need to address this to accommodate a more and more paperless environment. also if you make a mistake on a payroll deduction you cannot go back and edit the deduction after you have entered hours. you have to delete the entire payroll edit the deduction and then re-enter the payroll. very clunky. the alternative would be to approve the payroll void the incorrect check and then re run another payroll. :( To get around the lead time required for direct deposits, you can (1) do an ACH from your company account manually - banks usu charge for this feature or (2) set your employees up in bill pay but this also allows any one who might see a bank statement to also see payroll numbers so you must be careful with the descriptions you give these transactions. the data export to Quickbooks is bogus if you are looking to enter actual accounting numbers in to quickbooks
Recommendations to other buyersthe direct deposit functionality data import to your accounting system forgiveness for mistakes in data input if possible do implementation at year end. if not year end quarter end
July 26, 2016
jaime S.
Clinical Director
Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees
July 4, 2019

“Love Patriot Payroll”

Overallexcellent thus far I have been with them for about 4 years - will continue with them
Prossome live all the time easy software to use can do it at any time on screen easy to use make a mistake easy to fix
Conswish they would tell you what to put on for state demands versus you cracking your head to find the information -however, they do provide you the links which is helpful but the state websites are hard to navigate
July 4, 2019
Amy J.
Corporate Secty
Human Resources, 1-10 employees
January 13, 2017

“Don't wait. Sign up today!”

OverallPatriot Software is affordable, easy to use software. Support staff is friendly and easy to reach. If your small business is looking for accounting software that is headache free and easy on your budget, I highly recommend Patriot.
ProsEasy to use and a great value. Video tutorials are very useful.
ConsThe only downside is the fact that they operate on eastern time and I'm on pacific time. If I need to speak with customer service after 2:00pm my time, I am not able to get help until the next day. It just requires me to adjust my workflow a bit. With that said, they offer very detailed online help which includes video tutorials.
Recommendations to other buyersDon't hesitate to give Patriot Software a try. With their generous free trial, you have nothing to lose.

By Patriot Software on January 23, 2017
Thank you Amy! We are looking into what we can do to help our beloved west coast customers even more.
January 13, 2017
Snehee C.
Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees
October 8, 2019

“Great product at a good price!”

OverallI love it! I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to save money on payroll and HR services.
ProsVery easy to use, set up and manage. The customer care is great and the product is much less expensive than Quickbooks online. The UI is super friendly to use.
ConsI wish some of the add on payroll services were included in the price. especially for small businesses like myself.
October 8, 2019
Beth K.
Bookkeeping Firm Owner
Accounting, Self-employed

“Amazing company!”

OverallI own a small bookkeeping service. Partnering with Patriot for payroll processing for my clients has been an awesome experience. I recommend them every chance I can!
ProsIt is so easy to use and it takes me just a few minutes to run a payroll. I love the "full service" option where they take care of paying and filing all the required tax payments and forms. Their pricing really can't be beat. I have gotten answers very quickly whenever I had questions, no being pushed around to someone out of the country that can't give me a real answer (as with some other "big" companies). They are based in the US and are big enough to offer a lot of great features, but small enough to still care about their customers.
ConsI do think that if I had a more complex payroll that I might need to look at a larger provider, but for now everything suits my needs.
Regina S.
Insurance, 1-10 employees
June 21, 2019

“Easy and Quick Payroll Reporting”

OverallPatriot Payroll is extremely simple to use. I particularly like that it generates my payroll tax liabilities, like Form 941 and W2s for example, with the information submitted from the monthly payroll logs. Prior to using this software, I spent hours working on payroll tax liabilities. Now, it is as simple as logging in the date range for the tax information you need and in seconds, the tax reporting forms are available. That simple!!! So glad I didn't waste time with other payroll software prior to finding Patriot. Not sure if any other vendor can stack up to Patriot's ease of functionality.
ProsI love that this payroll will prepare my Form 941, W2 and all payroll tax liabilities. I love that I only have to type in the employee's hours and the software does all the calculations for deductions and taxes.
ConsThere is nothing I do not like about this software.
June 21, 2019
Lisa O.
Bookkeeper
February 15, 2018

“Overall like this payroll provider”

OverallOverall one of the most cost effective payroll providers out there.
ProsCurrently using Patriot with three different companies. Set up for the payroll was easy they even helped correct information when I made an error in the set up process. One of the three companies I use this for also uses the time and attendance feature, love that too. The employee portal for employees to look up their payroll history is straightforward and easy to navigate. I love the fact that the employees can set up their own direct deposit accounts in the portal. Tax service is great (use with two of the companies).
ConsEmployees with multiple rates can be an issue. Most other services offer either two or three day processing for no extra charges.
February 15, 2018
Lam H.
April 21, 2016

“Absolute Steal for Amazing Service!”

OverallWe were looking for a low-cost but comprehensive payroll option for our small nonprofit and tried several options: Patriot was the best, by far! It saves up a ton of money, but more importantly, time every month. It's easy to use and very accurate: something critical, given the potential consequences for failing to file/pay taxes--or doing them incorrectly. We are 100% satisfied with Patriot, and would recommend it for anyone!
ProsEase of use Comprehensive service (payroll, taxes, direct deposit, reimbursements, pre-tax expenditures, reports) Customer service (among the friendliest, most competent--which is short supply these days, and fastest I've ever used) VALUE: Patriot is cheaper than all the usable options we tested
ConsOnly one minor one: it doesn't have automatic payroll processing for those pay periods when we don't have any payroll adjustments.

By Patriot Software on April 22, 2016
We are so happy we are giving you the value your non-profit deserves! Your kind words about our product and customer service made our day! We are taking note of your request for automatic payroll processing. We are listening!
April 21, 2016
Anita D.
HR Associate
Hospitality, 1-10 employees
August 12, 2019

“Easy to Use and Customer Support is Very Helpful”

OverallThis is a really great software that's easy to use. Customer service is always super responsive, I can get online and chat with them instantly most of the times. If they're not able to answer a question they research and get back to you.
ProsI love that it's so easy to use. Most of the questions I have about how to use it can be found in the blog articles.
ConsI wish that I didn't have to pay extra for them to do my tax filings but I understand that's an upgraded service and should be treated as such. I don't have any complaints.

By Patriot Software on August 13, 2019
Hi Anita, We offer two payroll options to choose from Basic Payroll and Full Service Payroll. The Full service payroll includes collecting, depositing and filing for local, state and federal taxes as well as end of the year tax filings which are all included in the monthly charge. :)
Erin d.
Co-Owner
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
May 30, 2019

“Patriot Software has saved me and my Business”

OverallSo far, They have blown me away with all the feature they offer. They have made my payroll and billing so easy.
ProsThe ease of use, It was so easy to set up. The great customer service. I love that I don't have to worry about paying my taxes they do everything for me all in one spot so there are never any questions.
ConsI wish I could have multiple users on one account. I would also like to see that you can create an invoice and be able to edit it without deleting and creating a new one. (Ex. If you have to add a late fee)
Shannon B.
Law Practice, 1-10 employees
April 10, 2017

“Simple, headache-free payroll for busy office managers ”

OverallI love how simple and intuitive Patriot is. I have alot to think about everyday as the office manager of a solo attorney law office, including bookkeeping, billing clients, performing the duties of a legal assistant and other office tasks. I'm glad I can rely on Patriot to calculate and pay taxes and file my tax documents so I don't have to juggle all the due dates doing it manually would entail.
ProsIt is very intuitive and simple. There are enough options and features to enable the payroll systems to function the way I want them to, but just enough features that I don't need any extra training to use this software efficiently.
ConsI really have no complaints. It's not an aesthetically pleasing interface, but I'm happy to trade that for the quality I get for the low price.
Recommendations to other buyersTake advantage of the demo offered by Patriot to get familiar with the functionality before signing up. That way you can use it efficiently from day one. Also, take advantage of the free payroll setup the company offers.

By Patriot Software on April 14, 2017
Kenal, we're more than happy to provide headache-free payroll for busy office managers like you! You can count on us to calculate, deposit and file your payroll taxes--so you can get back to running the office.
April 10, 2017
Nathan K.
Tobacco, 1-10 employees
November 16, 2016

“Patriot Software”

OverallIt is useful software, It will effectively replace quickbooks for a small business. It will cost significantly less than a quickbooks subscription, However is not as streamlined. To get things done will take more work. However as a Non accountant small business owner it was better in my eyes to go with Patriot.
ProsIT does the job and it does it for Cheap
ConsIt does not have a lot of automation features to save time.
Recommendations to other buyersI think its a very economical replacement to quickbooks.
November 16, 2016
Jerry S.
July 18, 2016

“Solid Affordable Option”

OverallAs an accountant who prepares payroll for a couple dozen clients I've used at least half a dozen payroll products over the years. I recently moved my entire client base to Patriot. I've found it to be a solid, affordable solution. I'm looking forward to a long, mutually prosperous relationship.
ProsI like the fact that it leaves me in control of my client's payroll. Support has been excellent and has been extremely receptive to a couple suggestions/requests I've made. While it doesn't directly impact the software itself, I sincerely appreciate the founder/owner's personal values.
ConsI'd prefer to see data entry forms be a bit smaller/more concise to ease data entry and a couple data entry locations are not where I would have expected them--just took a little getting used to. Because most of my clients are in Ohio, municipal income tax withholding is a big issue. Being able to specify different mailing and work addresses would be really helpful. The majority of my clients are churches and ministries who have clergy employees. In the current iteration, housing allowance has to be manually entered each payday; however, following a conversation with my support guru, I'm happy to say Patriot is working on a permanent solution.
Recommendations to other buyersOther solutions might be a bit slicker but few can match Patriot's combination of capability and cost. Check it out.

By Patriot Software on July 18, 2016
Thanks the feedback Jerry. We're glad to hear you are happy with the support you are getting. We love making our customers happy, and hope a solution for you will be coming soon.
July 18, 2016
Kerri R.
Farming, 1-10 employees
March 27, 2018

“My experience was great with Patriot!”

ProsI loved how easy it was to use patriot and the online stuff is super simple and its very easy to run payrolls. I was also never on hold for longer than 5 min if I had to call support which was amazing.
ConsOnly problem I had is that they didn't have my unemployment tax percentage correct which costed me in fines by the time I realized it.

By Patriot Software on March 30, 2018
Thank you for your terrific review, Kerri. I wanted to be sure you knew, however, SUTA rates are individual to each employer and are assigned by the state department of labor and vary based on the industry, company's experience, and, sometimes other factors as well. The employer would receive a "SUTA rate notice" from their state's department of labor with an effective date. Because of this, SUTA rates are entered by the employer and not Patriot.
March 27, 2018
Darcy C.
Accountant
Accounting, Self-employed
August 14, 2017

“Patriot Payroll: simple, easy to learn Payroll Product”

OverallI am glad I tried it! I spent some time doing research and find your software just perfect for the small payroll I am doing and I would definitely use it again in assisting other small businesses with their payroll needs. Thank you!
ProsThe software is intuitive - screens are easy to navigate. It appears to have been developed to be as straight-forward as possible, so even those with little experience should find it easier than they imagined to process their own payroll. There are very good references for all your payroll questions. Again, I like how straight-forward it is to find that info within the program's library of information, and the links embedded within the easy to understand documents make is super easy to source additional information and documents, if you would like to do so. I hadn't processed payroll in several years, and this program made it so very simple to set-up a company for payroll, and start processing right away. The introductory offer provides additional value to the already very reasonable monthly rate. There is also an adequate library of payroll and tax reports that makes handling your account 'manually' easy and effective.
ConsResiding on the West Coast, I suppose the hours of your customer service would be the area I would like to see improved upon. It would be nice to have access to customer service up to at least 6pm Pacific Standard Time.
August 14, 2017
Andrea S.
owner e
July 19, 2016

“Easy to use ”

OverallVery user friendly interface. Payroll is very easy to do. Setting up the payroll account is also a breeze. The software also gives very detailed instructions on how to setup automatic deduction of taxes and all the paperwork that needs to be filed with the state franchise department.
ProsSpend some time getting to know the software. Although, it is easy to use, it helps to get to know the lay of land a little bit to find out if this software really meets your needs.
ConsNot much to dislike as yet as I whatever parts of the software I have used (payroll mainly), they work just fine. However, I am having a bit of problem getting the direct deposit going with Natpay as they are very slow in responding. Spend some time getting to know the software. Although, it is easy to use, it helps to get to know the lay of land a little bit to find out if this software really meets your needs.
Recommendations to other buyersSpend some time getting to know the software. Although, it is easy to use, it helps to get to know the lay of land a little bit to find out if this software really meets your needs.

By Patriot Software on July 26, 2016
Thanks for the terrific review Andrea.
July 19, 2016
Jack D.
Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2019

“Perfect Software at Perfect Price”

ProsThe software is flexible in that it allows me to purchase as much or as little as I need. We are a small business and don't have huge needs in terms of payroll software, and Patriot offered an affordable solution without sacrificing any features we needed.
ConsWhen we first started using the software we had to contact Patriot at the end of the year to have them add S-Corp owner health insurace payments to W2s manually. But they have since then added this feature to the software, so no longer an issue :)
August 15, 2019
Melati K.
August 5, 2019

“Five stars in ease of use, five stars in customer service”

OverallOnce your setup is done, it's really easy to use. You only need to make sure that your setup is correct. If you need to talk to the customer service, they are always ready to help. Phone calls are answered very quick, email inquiries are the same.
ProsIt is very easy to use the software. Many things are really self explanatory.
ConsSetting up Direct Deposit is rather complicated. The explanation of how it works is not very helpful. Therefore I decided not to use direct deposit. If you have to use DD, make sure you call them and let them guide you through explaining how it works. I gave up, I just print a check every pay day.

By Patriot Software on August 7, 2019
Thanks for the 5-star review Melati! We are constantly evaluating our processes to make it easier on our customers, and appreciate your feedback.
Jeremiah S.
Construction, 1-10 employees
May 30, 2019

“Payroll made super easy”

OverallGreat customer support and help both with setting up and with continued support as needed. It runs so smoothly though that I often forget about all that is happening behind the scenes.
ProsThe software is so easy to use that I rarely have had to call for assistance after setting it up. Employees can easily enter their own hours daily for review and then payday is as simple as a few clicks.
ConsI have no complaints at all and have been very pleased for over a year of daily use so far.
David A.
Senior Marketing Executive
Banking, 11-50 employees
January 25, 2019

“PAYROLL WITHOUT TEARS”

ProsPatriot helps you to organize your HR and payroll with little effort and so much ease especially as it comes in very handy with tax issues. It is also very affordable and requires little payroll knowledge. This leaves you with much more time to focus on other aspects of your business.
ConsPatriot will have to expand to be able to cater for companies with staff more than 100, especially as more companies keep opening branches and subsidiaries.
January 25, 2019
Ray D.
May 28, 2018

“Great for Small Business Owners; been using them for 4 years and Patriot Payroll continues to grow!”

OverallSince 2014 when I setup our company; I was looking for an inexpensive and easy online solution. Patriot Pay is what I found. Super easy to use and setup. PP is growing and with features like free Direct Deposit and QuickBooks online integration, this makes it a great value for a small company.
Pros1) Customer Service can be reached via online chat or by calling support 2) No software to install; Patriot Pay is online. 3) Has lots of integrations and those continue to get better (QuickBooks online, Direct Deposit) 4) I've seen this company grow in the past 4 years and quite impressed
Cons1) Customer Service is available only during working hours--not available at night or during the weekend.
May 28, 2018
Ramin S.
Digital Instructor
May 22, 2018

“Very satisfied user”

ProsIt has chat section in their customer care service and this awesome and too fast to get information, request help and send quick feedback. Price is perfectly matched, it is just excelllent. Reporting is awesome as well as the search tool. It's too fast to pay by employee section.
ConsThough everyone says that it is simple to use, I found their interface a little bit clunky and difficult. And other things are just great. Everything is working properly.
May 22, 2018