VisibleThread Docs Ratings

Overall
4.8/5

About VisibleThread Docs

Increase your PWIN rate by 9.8% and save 66.7h per proposal with VisibleThread Docs. VisibleThread gives you back control of your content by helping you analyze and optimize thousands of documents quickly and accurately. If you are shredding multiple RFPs, scanning documents for compliance or reviewing proposals for clarity and consistency, then VisibleThread can help you. Customers include Boeing, General Dynamics, Northrop Grumman and 9 of the top 15 US Govt contractors. Learn more about VisibleThread Docs

Scott H.
Proposal Manager
Defense & Space, 11-50 employees
October 14, 2019

“Visible Thread's Unexpected Utility & Value”

OverallAbsolutely amazing. It's been a huge time and effort saver - its value greatly outweighs its costs. I have convinced all of my past three employers to buy and use it, and it remains in place. So it isn't just me. It requires creativity to get the most out of it, and my investment of time devising creative uses has driven my success using the tool. It is uniquely useful in the Government Contracting field. It has made my Business Development, Capture, and Proposal Writing efforts easier, better, and much more successful. All of the big wins I brag about involved using VT to scrub teammates, to develop themes by efficiently analyzing many lengthy documents, and instantly producing error-free compliance matrixes to ensure I didn't miss anything.
ProsValue: proposals involving a dozen staff in 2011 now involve 2 or 3. This tool makes those fewer people competitive with the output (quality and quantity). Everyone has to do more with fewer people to help. This tool helps fill that gap. Time-saving - not all time is equal in the Gov. contracting industry, and VT saves a lot of time in critical moments: after solicitations are released and after amendments are issued. The tool allows instant creation of comprehensive compliance matrices, which can be quickly edited down. If you develop a variety of dictionaries that are specific to various things (pricing, timelines, etc.), you can instantly produce CMs for specific proposal team members. Also, you can directly compare a solicitation and its amendments, instantly identifying what was changed and immediately shifting to dealing with those changes, rather than wasting time finding them - and potentially missing one. Flexibility: we spend hours and hours comparing all kinds of documents. If you think about that, you find all kinds of unexpected VT uses in Government contracting/proposal writing. Examples: resumes vs. requirements; teammate/company capability statements vs. contract requirements; current/past contract SOW vs. solicitation (to help you decide how to write the Past Performance summary); proposal narrative vs. proposal themes (to see where and how often you hit the customer's hot buttons); the list is endless.
ConsYou have to know who in your organization does what - they're used to doing things the hard & slow way. Your recruiter can use this to 'scrub' scores of resumes at a time against a specific requirement - but you have to know VT can do this and explain how to adopt the tool into their process. The same goes for every member of a proposal team and members of your corporate staff. In the same way that Excel does not do an accountant's job for them - it changes the nature of their work. They no longer worry about arithmetic, but they do have to worry about formulas, etc.
October 14, 2019
Michelle K.
CEO & Founder
11-50 employees
October 10, 2017

“Provides significant capability to quickly identify actionable information across many documents.”

OverallWhat used to take hours and days of reading, tagging and extracting key / actionable information from solicitation packages now takes us just seconds or minutes. As a user for about 2 years, it is obvious that the VisibleThread team continues to release new features and improve the others at a good pace. To speed up proposal reviews and improvements - we do this using the concept tracking features to make sure we addressed all of the specific contracts' specifications, instructions and evaluation factors. We use the compliance matrix features to speed up the process of making content and review assignments to team members. We use the content grammar and readability grading feature to quickly spot areas where we can be more concise and make our proposals easier for the average reviewer to understand. We run scripts that quickly identify deliverable / CDRL requirements to support transition planning, and; once we have won a contract, we use VisibleThread to quickly prepare briefing packages for the transition/implementation teams as we move from opportunity to contract in execution. While it takes your experts to setup the system to do these things, once configured, you can have anyone on your team run the analysis to perform any of the tasks I've described. My only wish - is that more contracting officers and procurement shops were using the tool to put out better and clearer/complete solicitations to industry.
ProsThis is an experts' product that provides so many useful tools, that there is no way I can even begin to address them all in the word limit this survey allows. We continually come up with new methods to automate portions of our analytical and document preparation work with VisibleThread. We are a bid /proposal management firm supporting customers on over 100 proposal projects each year across a wide range of contract types that include construction, utility system privatization, public transit automation, security services, background investigation, and administrative services contracts with the Federal Government, and State and local governments as our primary focus areas. With VisibleThread, we have created many customizations (which are easy to implement) to specifically hone in on requirements and information specific to each type of industry and contract / bid opportunity we manage. Specifically, we can quickly breakdown information in solicitation documents and exhibits/specifications into sets of information that are directly relevant to each of the departments, operational groups and subject matter experts who are contributing to each bid / proposal effort. Examples; for construction and heavy civil projects, we breakout information IAW MasterFormat divisions to call out all Bid Items and speed up getting bid packages to estimators and subcontractors. We then use it to automatically inspect subcontractor bids and to compare them against each other (in seconds).
October 10, 2017
Valerie O.
Chief Executive Officer
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
October 17, 2019

“A Product to Save Time and Improve Quality”

OverallMy overall experience has been outstanding, and I have been able to deliver quality documents to a variety of clients in less time, saving them money. Using Visible Thread's many capabilities, such as Concept Dictionaries, I have been able to pull out key concepts necessary to respond to requests for proposals and meet customer requirements. I have been able to show clients where we, as a team, needed to include additional information to help win business. Overall, Visible Thread has helped me as a small business in consultant delivering professional solutions.
ProsVisible Thread has many features that make it an excellent tool in a writer's tool chest, particularly for proposal writing. I use its Readability feature frequently to demonstrate to technical managers that I need to edit their writing so others may understand it better. This feature also show progress as writing is improved. I also use the Compliance Matrix to ensure I've met proposals' requirements for my sections because not all companies and proposal managers regularly use Compliance Matrices. This feature is so quick and easy to use and serves as a great second check for me before I turn in my documents. The Acronym Checking is another good time saver and is useful for any type of document and building glossaries. Finally, Visible Thread's Compare Docs feature is far better than MS Word's similar feature. I've also found many technical personnel prefer the Compare Docs Excel format to the Word format, and as a small business owner, I want to keep my customers happy.
ConsI found it a little difficult to navigate at first, but then found the support personnel excellent. Visible Thread's Help documentation and videos are easy to follow, too. In the time since I first became a customer (11/2017), Visible Thread has also added many new webinars and a Visible Thread University to help clients understand the many available features and options available.
October 17, 2019
John E.
Manager - Marketing and Capture Planning
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
October 4, 2019

“Core tool for accelerating business development, proposal and contract compliance processes”

OverallIt's been a huge time saver, easy to find related content across multiple documents. VisibleThread is perfect for shredding documents to reveal the content that is relevant to your business. Ability to create a single fully traceable view across RFx requirements, themes, partner capabilities and evaluation factors. This saves a ton of time when reviewing opportunities and making bid decisions.
ProsContent Analysis: Visible Thread is great for shredding RFP documents, analyzing all content and use of acronyms. The result is an easily consumed presentation. Multiple Document Insight: Flexibility to discover the content you need with the click of a button across all documents within a folder. Speed Speed Speed: The quickest way to discover information that is otherwise buried in many sources. We use Visible Thread to analyze potential targets and to generate compliant and responsive RFx responses. It serves as a "force multiplier" for our small team. We've greatly reduced the time spent assessing and responding to acquisition packages and can focus on things we can win.
ConsYou must maintain and build dictionaries in order to get the most effective results. However, Visible Thread provides community sharing (Dictionary Marketplace) to help accelerate this task.
October 4, 2019
Samuel M.
Principal
Defense & Space, 51-200 employees
October 11, 2019

“A Persuasive - Accurate - Complete Proposal”

ProsVisibleThread is a software program is a that takes a programmatic approach with helping Business Development, Capture Management, and Proposals produce a Persuasive Proposal. Thereby minimizing the customer's risk of picking your company. More importantly it is performed Quickly and with a touch of a button. Beginning with parsing through PWS, RFP, SOW documents in minutes - Establishing your Capability Matrix to help identify your Gaps - Establish Teams with companies who truly fill those Gaps, and focusing the content for your [proposed Teaming Agreement(s). Preparing the Response in advance of the RFP actually dropping by using the Capability Matrix as the foundation for the Annotated Outline Document to organize the Why, the How, and the What based upon each task line item. Allowing everyone involved to provide bullets, graphics, and Past Performance/Discriminators well before the RFP is released. Before Pink/Red/Gold run your response through VisibleThread to simplify and ensure readability.
ConsA minor, but albeit an issue, the Capability Matrix and Annotated Outlines do require a bit of a touch-up to make pretty.
October 11, 2019
Aviation & Aerospace, 10,001+ employees
March 18, 2019

“VT makes proposal work better and work faster”

OverallWOW! Where to start?! shreds - takes longer to upload the documents than to finish the shreds! and that includes using my macro to reformat it. all told - maybe 10-15 minutes instead of 1-2 WEEKS! ... compares - again with the upload time, I still get shreds completed and reformatted in 10-15 minutes instead of 2-3 week ... acronym lists - 1 hour tops ... readability stats - 10 minutes tops .... EVERYTHING in VT is quicker, faster, easier, better than anything else I have found.
Prostime savings - example: I used to take 2-3 days to create an Acronym list ... now I can have 1 ready for use in less than an hour
Consthe time it takes to get updates and the new versions. This, however, is NOT VT's fault but my company. Still, it should not take as long as it does internally for my company. We cannot be in the Cloud due to our work, so we have to take more time getting the updates - an internal to us problem and not VT's.
March 18, 2019
Elizabeth F.
November 21, 2016

“Proposal Team Productivity Greatly Enhanced With Visible Thread”

OverallWe have spent the last year integrating Visible Thread into our proposal workflow and as a result we will never want to work without it. We have no pre-post statistics to offer, but we know we've cut as many as 4-5 days off preparation time using all of the different product features. To begin, the first thing we do when we receive an RFP is to shred the document using the Compliance Matrix feature. This saves at least a day since we can have a draft matrix in about 15 minutes. The next step is to use Discovery to determine the subject content of the document and to derive a dictionary of customer terms we will use at a later date to test our proposal document content. We use the dictionary feature to identify past performance options and to identify key personnel candidates from our internal databases. We also use dictionaries to identify win themes and hot buttons or the lack thereof in the proposal text. One of the best uses is to track content over multi-volumes to make sure we are using the same terminology throughout. This used to be a two-person weekend task and now it takes a good dictionary and about three to four hours. With the increasing scrutiny over acronyms, we enjoy the acronym extraction feature and have significantly shortened the time for the acronym list preparation by at least half. We've also created our own acronym dictionary which we can use to generate a Quality Report. The Clear Language feature helps us maintain law and order in the Proposal Room. We used to have finger pointing, name calling brawls over content editing. Now we hand the authors a Clear Language analysis of their document and ask them to make the indicated corrections. They do not argue with a computerized analysis of their writing style and they know what to do to improve. As a result, we spend at least a day less on technical editing and have a much better product as a result. Use of Visible Thread is limited only by the imagination and we've used it for many aspects of our work beyond proposal preparation. We simply can't live without it.
November 21, 2016
Sarah M.
Business Development Specialist
Aviation & Aerospace, 201-500 employees
May 2, 2019

“Review from a user who is fairly new to VT Docs”

OverallWe mainly use VT Docs for RFP shredding and creation of compliance matrices. It's been a huge time saver for those two aspects alone, but I know we could be using more of the tools such as those to confirm compliance in a completed proposal. That's our next step in using this tool...
ProsVisible Thread is great for shredding RFP documents and analyzing use of acronyms. The system is speedy, and technical support is fantastic. The software produces nice excel outputs that are easy to manipulate, and I like that the user may upload as many files and folders necessary. There doesn't seem to be a limit to how much data the system will hold and analyze. I appreciate this feature because I don't ever have to clean up or manage the files that I have uploaded.
ConsI get a little lost in all of the available features, but that's more of my own problem in not taking time to better understand the tools available. I was handed the account from a predecessor, so I am unclear how things were set-up. I don't understand how dictionaries are defined and set-up, and the user interface isn't intuitive at first glance. Again, it's probably a user error in that I need to spend the time educating myself on how the tools are used.
May 2, 2019
Melissa H.
February 17, 2017

“Core tool for business development, proposal production, and contract compliance processes”

OverallVisibleThread is incredibly versatile and easy to use. The tools available in the VisibleThread Doc suite instantaneously create actionable compliance matrices and document readability reports. We now use it as a core tool in our business development, proposal production, and contract compliance processes. Our primary uses include evaluating potential opportunities with the Discovery tool, generating requirement matrices for new solicitations with the Compliance Matrix tool, and improving our proposal content with the Clear Language report. We also use the Responsibility Matrix feature to quickly analyze new awards and create documentation for contract kick-off. Bottom line VT has saved us tremendous amounts of time, given us the capability to analyze documents in ways that are not humanly possible, and helped us find the real information in all of the words. Another significant bonus is the incredible customer service VT offers. I have had numerous questions and the support is always timely and helpful.
ProsThe versatility of the tool is incredible and it is so easy to use.
ConsNothing really
Recommendations to other buyersIf possible, users should try to attend the annual users conference. I've picked up numerous helpful tips at these conferences.
February 17, 2017
Henrik J.
Competitive Intelligence Analyst
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees
July 30, 2019

“Amazing feature set”

OverallVisibleThread is perfect for breaking work bid documents and highlighting the content that is relevant to your business. This saves a ton of time when needing to review a bid and decide if it should be bid upon or not.
ProsWhile the most mentioned features are great, some of the more overlooked features are real time savers. The comparison tool for both PDF/Word and Excel are the best I have ever used. They provide a fast and outstanding overview of the changes to a document version. Also the acronym checker is excellent to help you verify that you have defined all your acronyms in your document.
ConsThe time is takes to reload the folder structure, since all changes to th folder list or folder content forces a refresh. And with hundreds of folders, this can take some time.
July 30, 2019
David S.
Business Development
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
September 13, 2017

“Great tool! Time Saver! Quality Improver!”

OverallBottom line this tool saves money by speeding up the process of RFx reviews and increases quality. Documentation comparison is a time, money and quality saver as well.
ProsRapidly parse RFx documentation Theme and concept discovery Quick compliance and teaming matrix Quality checking and readability Document version comparison Flexibility to discover what you need multiple documents to reveal to you Customer support and training is top notch
September 13, 2017
George S.
Senior Associate
September 6, 2017

“Best value proposal productivity tool out there, supported by a highly responsive service team”

ProsVisible Thread can be used for more than just proposals. Great for everything from checking writing flow/voice to examining and comparing policy documents to identify friction areas. I like the website crawling feature that allows me to identify and compare firm capabilities as well. Generally easy to use after a couple training hours - dashboard is straightforward. If I cannot figure something out, the customer service and training team is readily accessible. Versatile tool.
ConsSome data exports are in an older version of MS Excel that I must open with my current version of MS Excel
September 6, 2017
Ezinne A.
Proposal Manager
Information Technology and Services, Unspecified
August 31, 2017

“Really useful tool for Proposal Development”

OverallMore than anything else, it saves me time.
ProsIt's really easy to use: Even with minimal training, you can use the most basic functions. It saves time: It significantly reduces the amount of time spent on developing compliance matrices and generating acronym lists. It improves the overall quality of your documents: It evaluates readability, passive voice, acronym usage, etc., making it easier for writers and editors to identify areas for improvement. It supports in-depth document analysis: When set up correctly, the tool can help with detailed document analysis.
ConsIt has a bit of a learning curve, and the analysis results can be a little confusing sometimes. However, with sufficient training and regular usage, it becomes easier to use.
August 31, 2017
Matt D.
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
September 13, 2018

“Saves us an incredible amount of time”

OverallWe strongly recommend this to our clients, particularly those in the procurement and legal fields as it significantly reduces the amount of time reviewing documents and gives you confidence that no changes between contract versions have been missed.
ProsThe versatility of it is incredible. It can be used to: - Pull out all of the obligations in a contract - Check whether anything's changed between contract versions without the need for track changes - Quickly seeing what documents are likely to be when moving to a paperless office - Review CVs for keywords - Review tender responses to see that they've addressed key evaluation criteria
ConsWould like the ability to do scanned docs (images) too
September 13, 2018
Eric F.
Executive Vice President
November 15, 2017

“I use the VT for contracts reviews and RFP compliance matrix creation. It is exactly what I needed.”

OverallSaves me tons of time! Good for contractors and people reviewing complex documents. It has other feature for proposal readability, but I have not used those.
ProsEase of Use High quality useful output Good comparisons Cloud services architecture Good support from VT Lots of best practice sharing and a good product development plan
ConsFor some reason is says it will run slower if there are a lot of files in the folder. Not sure why this would be but rather than taking a chance, I move the files into spare folders.
November 15, 2017
Kai-J. K.
Senior Bid Manager
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
May 14, 2019

“VT @ BId Management”

OverallVT as a package is at the moment the only place where I have a complete set of tools which is required for my daily business in Bid Management. Shredding docs in minutes, creating responsibility matrices in Excel based on the results of the VT doc examination and the ability for Word and Excel comparisons without an additional set of tools is fantastic.
ProsThis software is what I am looking for since my life started as a Bid Manager. It holds all tools that you really need in one place. Creating document responsibility matrices and doing acronym searching with a click instead of searching documents manually save dramatically my time doing more important things like Bid Story shaping etc..
ConsExcept the fact that it is a cloud based solution which can led to problems especially in public tenders I have no other cons at the moment.

By VisibleThread on June 6, 2019
Thank you for your review, Kai! It's great to hear VT Docs is making your life easier. For anyone considering VT docs who needs an on-premise solution: We understand that a cloud-based solution can be an issue for some businesses. VT Docs is available as on-premise deployment to any organization which requires it.
May 14, 2019
Barry L.
Sr. Director and Proposal Center Manager
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
September 7, 2017

“Very effective in improving the quality of documents.”

ProsTakes out a lot of costly editing, proofing, etc. Also good for a quick-and-dirty request for proposal shred.
ConsSometimes the answers are too good, and we need to prioritize responding to the results. For example, we have prepared a list of "avoidance words" for proposal documents, and we'll often see several hundred recommended repairs.
September 7, 2017
DEANNA O.
Proposal lManager
Defense & Space, 11-50 employees
December 12, 2017

“This product helps me produce compliant documents is less than 1/2 the time! ”

OverallI have more time to work on multiple projects, knowing I have the capabilities to ensure each project it 100% compliant!
Pros1. Compliance Matrix ( with in minutes) 2. Comparison Feature ( I use this on RFP Amendments, NDAs, TAs, RFP vs Prop) 3. Acronym Finder (such a blessing)
ConsCreating Dictionaries (but that's the only con) The dictionaries are key for comparison features. There are tricks that I'm finding to make it quicker and easier!
December 12, 2017
Jesse S.
Sr Compliance Advisor
July 1, 2014

“Using the VT Solution in a Compliance Department Environment ”

OverallOur department uploads new RFPs to VisibleThread to highlight compliance risk. We run concept scans, searching for key terms that potentially indicate a high level compliance, financial or operational risk and exposure. These critical reports are generated efficiently in a matter of minutes, creating a significant costs savings in terms of labor output and productivity. Our department also utilizes the VisibleThread compliance checklist capability to report on contract risk factors. It has increased our review efficiency and flags risk much sooner.

By VisibleThread on July 1, 2014
Thanks Jesse for taking the time to review. Really appreciate it. Best regards, The VisibleThread Team.
July 1, 2014
Christine M.
Director, Business Development Operations
August 15, 2012

“VisibleThread Works”

OverallVisibleThread will help improve the quality and readability of your documents. It saves editing time and helps to flag problem areas quickly.
ProsVisibleThread lives up to all its claims. The Plan Language, Win Theme, Bad Language, and Quality scans provide an effecient and effective way to improve the readabiity and language in proposal documents. The software is user-friendly and works well on Word and pdf files.
ConsMore integration with SharePoint would be helpful.
August 15, 2012
Jim C.
Business Development Director
April 13, 2012

“Visible Thread Saves Time”

OverallGreat value, excellent support from the vendor. Try it online.
ProsWe use VT to analyze potential targets and to generate compliant and responsive RFI and RFP/RFQ responses. It works and works well. It serves as a "force multiplier" for our small company. We've greatly reduced the time spent wading thru acquisition packages and can focus on things we can win.
ConsNone really.