Paychex Flex Ratings

Overall

About Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex is an all-in-one Payroll & HR solution that you can build on as your business grows or changes. Use it to run payroll and integrate your HR administration, retirement, and insurance management with service the way you want it and our expert knowledge of the regulations that could affect your business. Get 3 months of free payroll processing for a limited time. Click the link to get the details. Learn more about Paychex Flex

Eric S.
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
September 17, 2019

“Everything we need and more”

OverallPaychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.
ProsI love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.
ConsThe only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.
September 17, 2019
Erin S.
Manager of Strategic Partnerships
Philanthropy, 11-50 employees
October 13, 2017

“Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind”

OverallOverall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.
ProsIt is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions. Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.
ConsI wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately. I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.
October 13, 2017
Candace E.
Google CS First Instructor
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
April 9, 2018

“Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!”

OverallThe benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.
ProsPaychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.
ConsPaychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.
April 9, 2018
Peter S.
Accountant, Tax Preparer, IT consultant
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
November 7, 2017

“Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right”

OverallPayroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!
ProsPaychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).
ConsOne thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want? Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.
Amy S.
Consumer Services, 11-50 employees
July 25, 2018

“Paychex Flex is a robust payroll solution that can accommodate almost any payroll need. ”

ProsTogether with the company's team of payroll specialists, Paychex Flex is an effective payroll solution for small and large companies alike. As administrator for a small company, I appreciate having permissions to manage my company's staff in the tool while allowing the payroll specialist from Paychex to key in the biweekly payroll data. This delegation of duties gives me control over the the job functions that are most important to me. The General Ledger integration with QuickBooks Online is configurable and works well once set up to meet your business needs. The 3rd party integrator's staff is professional and diaplays an expert knowledge of both Paychex Flex and Quickbooks. What I like most about Paychex Flex is that our tax returns and payments at the Federal level and for most states are done for us automatically.
ConsThe browser interface is unattractive and not always self explanatory. The client id, which is needed on all email correspondence with your payroll specialist and is displayed on the banner at the top of the screen, cannot be copied and pasted into emails. The filter feature on the Person screen doesn't work consistently, and I frequently have to reapply the same filter so that only active staff appear. Online help for the software can be misleading or inaccurate. After following instructions for 1) giving access to staff and 2) adding a new state for withholdings, without success, I learned from my payroll specialist that I didn't have the ability to perform either task through the software.
July 25, 2018
Debbie H.
HR/Payroll/Office Manager
Information Services, 11-50 employees
June 29, 2018

“Love the Ease if Online Benefit Administration”

OverallSurvey software is not something that I usually recommend.
ProsThe best thing about this software is that I can do everything I need to do on my computer or mobile phone at any time of the day or night. The application is very easy to access and I administer payroll, 401k, health, dental and vision benefits, FSA and employee additions/changes over the application. Almost every service I utilize through Paychex is on this application. Invaluable! If I'm out of town I can still submit payroll! WOW! What a game changer Paychex Flex has been! The old way of doing business is out the window with Paychex Flex replacing it in a very positive way!
ConsThere is a couple of items that I would like to see enhanced. In people, I would like the ability to always pull up my preferred view of employees without having to click on the apply button. My preferred view is saved but will not display until I click on apply. Second, on the people drop down menu from the upper right corner, I would like the ability to select that view as well. When that drop down is selected I get all the employees that have ever been entered into the Paychex database - terminated and active. I want to be able to display just the active employees in that drop down. These are just enhancement requests that in no way affect the valuable pros of the application. The items in the cons are just "nice to haves".
June 29, 2018
Sarah R.
customer service rep
Information Services, 11-50 employees
July 27, 2019

“A little Wonky to Navigate”

ProsIt is convenient for small businesses and employees who work from home or don't have one check in location. It has some nice features for checking how many hours have been working if you are actually clocking in and out from the site itself. Once you actually figure things out and have your account set up, it's conveniently all right there in front of you to see what your sick time is, clock in/out, etc. It keeps all your info from your previous jobs that have used the site PLUS holds your tax info conveniently for you, which is quite handy.
ConsIt's pretty difficult to navigate. A lot of the site doesn't really explain where to go or what to do so you kind of just have to poke around it until you figure things out. I guess it's kind of typical for sites like this. It's also kind of nightmare to get your log in info if you lose it, so just don't. You get locked out after 3 tries and then have to call the help desk and it turns into a pretty complicated ordeal. Conveniently though, the site log in remembers your info though. There is a LOT of maintenance, constantly and when you get messages in your inbox, they never seem to go away, but that's just nit-picky stuff that's not really important.
July 27, 2019
Peter G.
Owner/Manager
Fishery, 1-10 employees
March 9, 2019

“A great asset to have when running and business.”

ProsThe software itself allows me to eliminate the need for a time clock for my employees. They are able to have the app installed on their company issued smartphones and log in with their fingerprint access on the phone (which the app supports) and can clock into work in no time. They also have the availability to request time off, check vacation, sick and personal balances, view pay stubs and a ton of other features geared toward self help for the employee. This software saves me money so that I do not have to pay someone to sit and calculate all of the different times and payroll sheets. I would be lost without Paychex Flex.
ConsThe app can be a little slow at times. They also schedule down time on the overnight hours until 530am when most of our work does begin before that. It is a simple fix as I can enter staffs time manually when needed. You also need to trust your employees to punch in and out when they actually show up to a job site and not while driving home.
March 9, 2019
Matthew H.
Hospitality, 1-10 employees
June 7, 2017

“Excellent company top to bottom”

ProsPaychex has been top-notch for over five years, when I switched to them from another payroll company. I operate a small seasonal business with about 10 employees, and from the beginning I have received all the support that I need for my payroll and tax responsibilities, and at a more reasonable rate than I was paying before. I deal with one single payroll specialist every week (unless she is on vacation or something), which I love, and if she is unavailable the fill-in specialists have been able to take care of my payroll, which is not quite standard, without any issues. The website took a little getting used to initially, but I download my reports from there every week, quarter, and year, and everything is easy to find and use. I couldn't recommend Paychex more highly, at least for any business such as mine.
ConsIf anything, I feel that it would be good to consider a website review and edit - I do not have anything specific to offer in terms of what to change, but it did seem a little confusing the first few times using it. I don't have any issues now, but admittedly I only log on to do the same thing (download the report) each week, quarter, and year.
June 7, 2017
June 5, 2018

“I have worked with Paychex for HR and Payroll purposes.”

OverallWe were able to reduce storage of paper statements that were never picked up. We were able to increase employee morale by giving our employees the ability to see their own data and make time off requests on their own.
ProsThe user friendly approach within the Employee Online Access. We had employees that were afraid to go paperless with pay statements but with a little training everyone began utilizing the system. I liked the time and attendance module which allowed employees to see their own timesheets and administratiors to make corrections/update their staff timesheets and approve prior to payroll processing.
ConsI disliked the fact that the payroll module didn't link directly with time and attendance, we had thought that what was done in time and attendance regarding time off balances would automatically feed to payroll and reflect on our employees pay statements. But we found out that we had to do adjustments in both windows to ensure it matched.
June 5, 2018
Brandi G.
Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

“Easy to Use”

OverallThis was definitely a transition for staff but well worth it. All of the information available is awesome and it is very easy to use. Highly recommended.
ProsThis software is great. It is easy to clock in and out as well as find all of your necessary information including W-2 and salary information. Requesting vacation time as well and checking sick and vacation balances is all there at a click of a button. You can set up your area so even if staff if clocking in or out on their mobile phone, you know they were still actually at work.
ConsWe had some issues in the beginning with staff not being able to clock in and out but once you get all of the kinks worked out its great.
Textiles, 201-500 employees
January 7, 2019

“Don't bite off more than you can chew”

OverallWe transferred over from Preview to Flex in March and have had some sort of issue (always a new problem) with running payroll from glitches, to inaccuracies in accruals due to incomplete data transfers to random errors like pay rates suddenly not being mapped to the proper pay components. Overall Paychex has great features and I love that our employees are offered the option to view their stubs and w-2s online and request time off but, I feel like they need to train their employees more on their updates and work out the kinks before they release updates because it causes a lot of unexpected error on the user end which cause a delay and inconvenisnce on our end.
ProsI like that their Flex software is "live" and you no longer need to transmit hours as a file.
ConsNew features are released with glitches, representatives are NEVER available, it takes a lot of follow-up to get assistance and they pass you from representative to representative like a "hot potato".
January 7, 2019
Adam J.
Campus Support Team Director
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
October 7, 2019

“Unfortunately, the UI is awful and has a steep learning curve”

OverallPretty bad if I'm being honest. If we were to pick software again, we would pick someone else.
ProsThe customer service is helpful, although I wish I didn't have to call them as much as I do.
ConsIt's surprising to me that this company is a big competitor in this space. I think their software is extremely difficult to learn how to use and graphically looks like it was made in Windows 95. I use the administrative side mostly and have people coming to me all the time with questions because it's not easy or intuitive enough to learn on your own. Software should be created and designed so that it's easy enough for people to pick up and start using immediately. PayChex Flex is not one of those softwares.
October 7, 2019
Renae R.
Controller
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees
October 20, 2017

“Good Website”

ProsI do like how the website is laid out and how easy it is to run reports, set up new employees, and enter in payroll. In general the reps are helpful and you dont always have to talk to just your assigned rep to get answers.
ConsWhen there is a tax problem, the only person you can talk to is your rep, who general doesn't know anything about taxes and can only pass the question onto the tax department. Once you ask the question, it can a few weeks before you even hear back from someone about the status of your questions. It gets put into a queue and you are not told if or when it will get answered. This is very frustrating when it comes to time sensitive tax issues.
October 20, 2017
Eva S.
Operations Manager
Logistics and Supply Chain, 51-200 employees
October 18, 2016

“PREVIEW was a great payroll work horse. But beware, FLEX Payroll is no PREVIEW.”

OverallWe've been on Paychex PREVIEW payroll software for 16 years. It was a solid no non-sense payroll processing work horse which came with everything you'd ever need to process payroll for 100+ employees in a very quick and efficient manner. PREVIEW software was extremely well designed and well thought out. The developers took the perspective of payroll processing users and provided all the navigation speed, functionalities and reports that we'd ever find useful or need to do our jobs quickly and efficiently. There were hardly any unnecessary clicks, keystrokes or scrolling to speak of. It exceeded my expectation all these years. Paychex's golden era and reputation as payroll processing leader was probably due to these sensible legacy products. Like all good things which must come to an end, we were switched to FLEX Q2 of 2016 because PREVIEW was so old that Paychex decided to sun set it this year - which was totally understandable. But any reasonable PREVIEW clients would also expect and assume that whatever good features, good functionalities and useful reports that were available and had been working well in PREVIEW would be brought over and be available in the new payroll product as well. Not so. Enters FLEX which Paychex touted as being technologically advanced, etc. It probably is. But as far as FLEX payroll processing features and functionalities are concerned, I am actually set back 16 years to a payroll processing product that seemed Beta, very slow, cumbersome, awkward - compared to PREVIEW. Paychex simply threw PREVIEW out the window and started fresh from scratch with FLEX. I spent my first several months on FLEX Payroll sending them suggestions to make FLEX "better". I don't know if anyone cared. FLEX Payroll screen designs and navigation are very slow, very cumbersome, and very awkward. What I considered "speed features" in PREVIEW were non-existent in FLEX. Fields are spread out as far apart as they can find room to spread them out to (instead of keeping the screen layouts compact) seemingly so as to "maximize" unnecessary clicks, scrolls and keystrokes as much as possible. It's also more cumbersome and time consuming just to get information and reports from FLEX Payroll which could be run quickly and easily before in PREVIEW. I felt like I'm using payroll software designed by inexperienced college graduates who had never processed payroll before in their lives. They're out to get as much of my time make me do as much work as possible for the same amount of work that I have to do as before - to see where my breaking point is. So overall, I'm not impressed. To me, if the basic payroll processing functionalities are less than before, FLEX Payroll will still be inadequate despite all other "great features and modules" they added to FLEX which I don't need.
ProsFlex integration with Benefits Administration (Benetrac) module can make life a lot easier for some - but Beware - only if your group is 100+ enrolled. Our Paychex sales rep did make the claim that with Benetrac service, our medical insurance transactions "will all be automatic with carriers and we wouldn't have to do a thing" - which was totally not true. As it turned out, more carriers than not do not do EDI for groups (company) with < 100 enrolled. So the main FLEX selling point totally didn't even pan out for us. Please learn from our lesson. Do verify specifically that your medical and dental carriers will do EDI for your group before signing up for Benetrac.
ConsAlthough FLEX does its job as payroll software, having been on a faster and more efficient product before, we know how much more time we are spending on this "more inefficient" product compared to before. Oh and please save yourself the headaches and trouble by passing on other Paychex's services. We tried Paychex Health Insurance and ACA filing. They both failed miserably. Same story in both cases. Can't get hold of the account rep and customer service rep. No one would answer or return our calls. Last year's ACA were 60% wrong after I've redone and resubmitted data 3 different times after 3 different CSR told me 3 different things. They were just making it up as they went. Very frustrating.
Recommendations to other buyersThoroughly test drive FLEX and any other competing products before you sign. The devil really is in the details. FLEX does have features which PREVIEW didn't have. But as far as payroll processing goes, you might find many FLEX payroll features surprisingly slow, clungy and inefficient. Take your time to check them out. In summary, Paychex isn't the payroll company nor payroll products they used to be. Do not assume that every product offered will be good and will work out.
October 18, 2016
Oil & Energy, 11-50 employees
January 21, 2019

“Makes Employee's Lives Way Easier”

OverallEasy to keep track of employees, vacation and benefits - all in one hub for employee information!
ProsI can easily clock in and out of my Paychex account on any device - super convenient when on the road or working remote. I can also find my W2, tax and benefit information in one place which makes my life easier around tax refund season. I can easily punch in vacation time and forward it to my HR person.
ConsSometimes it doesn't register the clock in on the first try but selecting it twice will allow me to. The interface allows you to Break In and Clock out even if you never Clocked in which is odd, but HR can easily fix any mistakes.
January 21, 2019
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 501-1000 employees
October 2, 2018

“Extremely User Friendly”

ProsAs both a Paychex user and admin, I love how easy it is to navigate, you feel that your information is secure and if you experience an issue there is very short wait when calling customer services (typically no wait at all). When you first log into paychex, there are multiple security levels that one has to pass depending on your preference. Also, once you are in there is a dashboard with shortcuts to all the most used features. Paychex is constantly improving their software which is exciting. Our company is really enjoying the new live reports that update on a daily basis calculating everything from turnover rate, average headcount, and hired & termed totals.
ConsWe really enjoy using this software, there is nothing we dislike at the moment.
October 2, 2018
Amy G.
CSR
Insurance, 11-50 employees

“Times out too fast”

OverallOverall the decision to use a time tracking system has been a good one. There are a few things that could use improvement within the system such as the timing out when inactive for over 30 minutes and the request for time off options but on the whole I think its a good system.
ProsI like the fact that the system will keep track of time, and that you can pull reports that show exact times.
ConsThe system times out too quickly, I think its 30 min. which is very inconvenient for employees as the system isn't very quick to get up and running again which means time spent just trying to clock-in or clock-out. I also don't care for the way the system tracks time off, it pulls from your 'bank' before its used so looking at your time off it can appear as though you are in the negative.
July 6, 2018

“Paychex flex is so easy to use.”

OverallEverything you need is in the system and best of all accurate.
ProsThis software is so easy to use. It gives you tutorials if you get stumped on how to do something. It also has the capability to put all your reports in one place so when you need to run a report, it is all there waiting to be downloaded.
ConsThe only thing I really do not like with the system is that you have to go thru so many prompts to log in and then you have to have a specific code sent to your phone in order to get into the system. Needs to be a simpler way that allows the protection.
July 6, 2018
Adam W.
Warehouse Manager
Retail, 1001-5000 employees
June 14, 2019

“Easy for the End User”

OverallIt made the mundane tasks of scheduling / approving time / correcting time / etc only take up half an hour at the end of each week.
ProsComplete time management in one bundle. As an employee using the software, I could see my schedule / time off / and even access tax documents such as W2s online. As an administrator...setting schedules, correcting time punches, and seeing my workforce on any given day was a breeze.
ConsThe hardware associated with this software (we used biometric time clocks) were a pain to use at best and completely non-functional at best.
June 14, 2019
Kathleen J.
Hospital Manager
Veterinary, 1-10 employees
November 7, 2017

“Easy to use, didn't require training, pretty intuitive”

OverallEasy, consistent payroll service. Inter-department communication could use some work.
ProsPayroll specialists are very good and on top of their game. Easy to use from anywhere, never down, easy to get reports any time, easy to add in deductions or bonuses, customizable in general.
ConsIf I make a mistake, then go back to fix it, for some reason twice now it would not take my edits and I had to call to fix it, really annoying, I hadn't submitted yet. Tax questions/DOL questions - you have to wait until they get back to you, no way to know when they will, who is working on it, etc. Every change needs to have an accompanying form sent in. Very annoying, So if I change it, I have to fill out a form, print it, sign it, scan it back and send it, for every little change. Change an address, form, change a rate of pay, form, change a bank account, form, someone leaves for 6 weeks medical, form out and form back - you get the drift.
James D.
Founder, President
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
January 13, 2019

“Better than the competition, and it's secure”

OverallThis system was preferred before switching to ADP, however their cost at the time resulted in us switching to ADP
ProsI like the fact they require two factor authentication. Their customer service used to be good and is still decent compared to ADP. Their system can be fully customized for reports and coding purposes. Their reporting is much better than ADP
ConsTheir support has gone down hill in the last year in addition to their pricing is about 20% higher than ADP on most items. Lacks an employee portal standard on all plans
January 13, 2019
Craig B.
Chicagoland Warehouse Manager
Automotive, 51-200 employees
September 17, 2018

“Paychex Flex // Manage Your Workforce”

OverallPaychex Flex allows our company to finalize payroll easily for our weekly checks. Employees are able to view their paystubs the day before the check hits. Discrepancies are easily solved.
ProsEase of use: Manager login allows user to view and edit timecards of employees. Correct errors made by employees and finalize timecards for payroll. Layout of website is very user friendly and easy to find what is needed.
ConsThe scroll of "Clock In" through "Clock Out" should not have moving icons, as it causes some employees to click the incorrect punch.
September 17, 2018
Angela H.
Manager of Deerfield Training Center
Mining & Metals, Unspecified
June 14, 2018

“Easy to use; report friendly; customized views”

OverallUser friendly and easy to manage for specific needs.
ProsMy favorite aspect of this software was the visability of all my employees on one screen. I could adjust time from same screen and double click to get into the detailed information about an employee. You could set up schedules and with the linking of the fingerprint clock it worked perfectly.
ConsManually change times unless you wanted the clock in and out times to be static otherwise you could create a behind the scene scenario for punches.
June 14, 2018
Heather H.
Analyst
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
June 23, 2017

“I find Paychex Flex very easy to use. The app is great and very convenient. ”

OverallI love the ability to access my paychecks remotely as well as change my deductions at my convenience.
ProsThe ability to use the system from my smart phone is amazing. Just before I left for vacation I changed my deduction, unfortunately due to user error I had them deduct too much money from my pay check leaving me with a lot less than I expected. In a different environment I would have had to wait until I returned home the change the setting and therefore leaving my next paycheck with the same deduction. With the app I was able to adjust the deduction properly and my next check was the amount I was expecting.
ConsThe feature to submit you time off is missing an important function. It does not give the user the ability to see what has been requested until the request has been approved. It's very inconvenient for someone who's manager isn't monitoring the queue on a daily basis to approve their requests.
June 23, 2017
dawn c.
Retail, 1-10 employees
May 9, 2017

“pricing should be better”

OverallHelp save me money on my payroll fees, which is getting a bit much for only 3 employees soon to be only 2. I think I could get others to use Paychex but they freak out when I tell them how much is the payroll fee is.
ProsPaychex has been great. It was a hard start, just because New Mexico is weird but Paychex and the state finally got it all worked out. All papers are always filled out perfect that our sent to government. Everyone is so nice
ConsPricing on payroll keeps going up and up every year. I tried getting my employees monthly to save money but they said they would quit. :( There should be a better invoice charge for less than 5 employees cuz in 2 weeks I will only have 2 employees and will be paying the same for invoice charge. And one other big thing is that for the last 5 payrolls I HAVE TO CALL IN. This is getting frustrating cuz all the specialist says is that is his too busy and paychex is short handed to call ALL clients. REALLY?? I pay and have to remember to call my 3 lonely number in. Because of these 2 major things, I am starting to consider calling ADP to see how much their fees are. I am a small women disabled business. So I need what any money I can. I really love Paychex it is just these 2 major things that might make me switch companies.
May 9, 2017
Marta P.
Head of HR
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
October 7, 2016

“Paychex Flex”

OverallProcured the total HRO package (payroll, 401k, FSA, Time & Attendance, HRIS, HR Compliance and HR Generalist). There is no HRIS compatibility with the Payroll system, one has to run separate reports. Anytime Paychex updates their website, links do not work to the other features and or issues occur. Example, PTO accrual stopped working properly so we had to start accruing PTO manually and users not properly redirected to their links in the Learning center. On the payroll side the support is a black hole. Specifically any state registrations that are not properly loaded by Paychex and result in state tax fees which do not get resolved without employer paying penalty. Numerous emails do not get acknowledged. The implementation process is juvenile and lacks complete project management scope. Overall communication and execution by Paychex is so poor, one finally stops being frustrated and simply begins search for better system, which we are doing.
ProsCompliance. Nice to have employee handbook online and learning center for compliance training is also helpful. While Paychex payroll has strong workflow rules and meets general processing requirements, they make everything else so painful, therefore one could never recommend them. It would be like telling someone it's okay to cross a bridge that you know could collapse any moment and that you know is no longer maintained.
ConsAssigned customer reps - unresponsive or not timely in responses until escalations. Paychex's lack of technology understanding - every time they upgrade they do not test what the impact to customer use and all their products. They had a big upgrade in late December 2015, their system was not accessible from early morning until the evening (end of year!). Multiple email and calls yielded no information. Finally at 4pm we get an email that they were experiencing problems and would be back live shortly. Who does that? While learning center is a nice to have, spent an hour giving feedback and nothing changed, e.g., the CA Manager Anti- Sexual harassment training is 2.5 hours all in one shot. Not standard for training needs - asked them to break into 4 modules so it would not be daunting to busy leaders....crickets.
Recommendations to other buyersStay away!
October 7, 2016
Diana H.
Recruiter
Online Media, 1001-5000 employees
September 5, 2019

“Great Customer Service!”

OverallOverall Paychex has provided us with a great payroll solution. They have a really strong customer service team. I think it would be great if they could add interactive help for FAQs that wouldn't require calling or chatting them. Otherwise I had a really top notch experience with the product.
ProsWe used this at my previous company and it turned out to be a great solution for us since we had offices in different states. It helps us keep track of payroll laws in different states and remain compliant. I also felt that their customer service team was always really responsive and easy to deal with. As a user, it's really convenient for me to be able to access and print my pay statements from anywhere.
ConsOur company had some issues when we were first implementing the software but now everything runs perfectly. The UI is a bit outdated.
September 5, 2019
Avienne W.
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
March 20, 2018

“Pleased with this all-in-one HRIS system”

OverallWe were with Paychex, left for what sounded like a more promising system (terrible move), and came right back to Paychex! They are continually improving the product features and functions and we have been very pleased with the services!
ProsPaychex has become a great all-in-one solution for our HR and Payroll needs. Onboarding, Payroll, Benefits, Human Resources... the system has greatly helped us streamline our processes! Dedicated account representatives that are very prompt/responsive.
ConsSometimes tricky to use the system when a Paychex rep is also in the account, or if system updates occur during business hours. Custom reports can be a little complicated.
March 20, 2018
Julie H.
Wholesale, 11-50 employees
August 30, 2019

“The Worst Payroll Company Out There!”

OverallI have been running payroll and in HR for over 17 years so have used many payroll services and Paychex is the absolute WORST - can't wait to switch. Overpriced and you have to do everything yourself including coding their system. Nothing works right once you do (no notifications, biometric time clocks don't record punches, CA payroll laws like 7th day OT never coded) it's truly a complete joke of a company. "Account Manager" does not actually do anything but tell you to call the 877 customer service number and they are beyond ignorant and unhelpful.
ConsCustomer service - The worst Assigned Account Manager - Does nothing but tell you to call Cust Service (see above) Helpfulness - None Expensive - YES Knowledgeable - None Compliant - Nope, set up CA payroll laws all wrong Ease of system use - terrible, you need to coded everything yourself Over selling - the best (how about fix your basic customer service and functionality before you continually try and up sell)
August 30, 2019
Steve D.
VP Finance
Logistics and Supply Chain, 51-200 employees
August 15, 2018

“Feedback”

OverallToo much turnover in the dedicated payroll specialist role. I think I've had four or five in the last five years, and transition experience has been mixed. Some great, some not good at all.
ProsEase of use, cost effective. Traditional version easy to use and fairly intuitive. Not looking forward to the new release based on what I have seen so far.
ConsInconsistent response time from the dedicated payroll specialist depending on which one we are referring to. See comment below.
August 15, 2018
Ellie M.
Registrar
July 24, 2018

“Paychex has been an excellent option for our small non-profit!”

OverallThey do everything for you from making sure your employee's receive their W2's to generating amazing reports. I HIGHLY recommend Paychex!
ProsI run a small non-profit in education and paychex has been so perfect for us. I don't have a accounting or CPA type background so I was intimidated at frist with having to manage payroll, send out W2's and other tax documents. But Paychex made it SO EASY for me! They even auto sent all the W2's! Customer service is always excellent and I always get a hold of someone quickly. I HIGHLY recomend Paychex!
ConsThe only issue I have ever had I even hesitate to call an issue. My company was in the approvial phase for our non-profit status and because we did not have our official 501(c)3 Paychex was taking out taxes that we should not had to have paid. But when we got our official status as a non-prof Paychex paid us back retroactively for the year. They couldn't refund any thing from the previous year though so that was a bit of a bummer.
July 24, 2018
Heather E.
HR Director
Entertainment, 11-50 employees
March 27, 2019

“Solid Payroll Software”

ProsPaychex is a robust payroll platform that will meet any payroll needs you have. The system is flexible, and can handle any nuances to your payroll with relative ease. I am also a big fan of the mobile app, which I sometimes find easier to navigate than the web based application. The employee facing interface is also easy to use.
ConsThe interface for actually processing payroll isn't the most intuitive. There is a lot of saving involved, and it's easy to lose your work if you don't remember to do so throughout the process of running your payroll.
March 27, 2019
Consumer Goods, 201-500 employees
December 7, 2018

“A Growing Platform for a Growing Company”

OverallAs a small business, they were a great start for our general needs. Once we passed a threshold of what we were looking for, they worked with us to transition to a more robust platform.
ProsPaychex Flex had great customer service, helping us with all of our questions as we continued to grow.
ConsWe found we were outgrowing the platform, Paychex Flex had limitations on how it could automate our reports and provide us the details we really needed.
December 7, 2018
Kathy L.
Operations Specialist
Education Management, 51-200 employees
November 21, 2018

“Great Tool for the employee”

OverallI'm very happy that my company uses this product. It makes it easy to check where I stand with my hours each week.
ProsThe options available to me as an employee for this product are great. I'm able to track all my working hours, vacation hours, and sick leave hours in one place. If you used this product with previous employers and contact customer service for assistance, you have to help them sift through your potential logins until you get to the right one, should you need assistance. The customer service department can then help you disable to additional logins, if needed, to help with the process in the future.
ConsYou can lock yourself out of your account easily. Granted, the user error is real. Thankfully, their customer service department is awesome.
Brenda W.
Practice Administrator
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
October 17, 2018

“Happy Customer!”

OverallMy overall experience - Paychex has saved me time doing payroll! I would recommend to anyone looking for a payroll system.
ProsI like that my employees can clock in and out online (Time & Attendance) and that it merges right into payroll. Also my employees request their PTO online (no paper anymore)! Paychex has saved me at least 3-4 hours of doing payroll. I also love the Online HR Library which answers all my questions and also has samples of forms that I can use. Reports are great!
ConsGetting use to the new version that just came out after being on the old since we started.
October 17, 2018
Ronda C.
Executive Assistant
Market Research, 1-10 employees
September 19, 2018

“Lot's of options, but. . .”

OverallAs an administrator I have struggled with fully understanding some of the functionality. Again, Paychex staff does not want to help you navigate or understand. As an employee, I think it's great!
ProsAlmost everything can be completed by the user online or in the app, which employees like.
ConsPaychex wants you to use the online platform only and does not want to have a person help you navigate the website. they want you to follow the video learning.
September 19, 2018
Karen W.
Director of Operations
Management Consulting, Unspecified
February 9, 2016

“Convenience for small companies with 401k plans”

ProsRecently, I've been shopping other vendors for alternatives. There are two things that Paychex does that other vendors seem to fail to deliver. One is the Washington State L&I taxes, the other is good integration with our 401k through Fidelity. For a small company, where I am doing all the HR, IT, compliance, and client service, being able to wrap all of these things together and still get an extremely competitive price has been a key driver in us sticking with them.
ConsSometimes, the customer service can be inconsistent. If something goes sideways, this can be difficult. It doesn't effect 95% of what we do. Additionally, if you have unusual entries for payroll, it can be difficult to figure out how to enter something properly. The help menus are not that great. However, if you call them up, they are good about walking you through what you need to do.
Recommendations to other buyersThere are customizable packages that can really help you with keeping the monthly costs down. Be sure to really evaluate what exactly you need.
February 9, 2016
Construction, 1-10 employees
October 12, 2019

“Use for multiple companies”

OverallWe use it for allowing our technicians to clock in and out, have lunch, and approve time off. It allows for the flexibility to do that and direct deposit.
ProsEasy to use. Decent applications for both the browser and mobile devices. Easy approval on managers end for employee time off and clock corrections.
ConsApplication on mobile sometimes freezes, clocking multiple of the same "in" clocking for an employee.
October 12, 2019
Mercedes L.
Administrative Secretary
Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees
March 5, 2019

“Easy to use”

OverallIt easy to use and simple.
ProsI like the simplistic look, which makes it easy to navigate.
ConsAs a user of the software, I'm not sure if this is an issue that can be resolved in the settings or if this is just how it works, but the biggest con I can think of is that it logs you out after 25 minutes of inactivity. My break is 30 minutes and I wish it didn't sign me out during that time.
March 5, 2019
Sherry S.
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 employees
July 10, 2018

“Positive Experience”

OverallPaychex Flex is useful for any size organization. If your company utilizes a 401k, the process is of setting this up is seamless. Flex plans, etc. are also very easy using Paychex Flex.
ProsCustomer service is very good during implementation. The Paychex representatives assist new users along the way, and provide many ways to train. The have live training, and other training modules Payroll Administrators have access to.
ConsOnce your company has launched with their system, customer service is a bit challenging. This can become a bit stressful If you have payroll emergencies.
July 10, 2018
Debbie D.
Office Administrator
May 22, 2018

“Overall, it's very good software”

ProsIt is very convenient to be able to log in any time and perform tasks when it's the best time for me. I frequently work remotely and am easily able to access the website from any computer with internet access.
ConsI wish the program would let me stay logged in longer with no activity because it takes a while to go back through the 4 step log in to get back into the software.
May 22, 2018
Sherryn W.
office mgr
Machinery, 11-50 employees
May 15, 2018

“switched from ADP and never looked back!Cust.Service reps are the best!”

Overallpayroll do quickly and easily and with confidence, Knowing if you have any kind of question, all you do is call your rep and its fixed :)
ProsFrom day one , its been pretty easy to use and if I have any kind of question, I just simply call or customer service rep/or team member and they will walk me thru anything I am doing to ensure I am doing correctly
ConsI have nothing negative to say about it, like I said earlier switched from ADP because their customer service was the worst, you would never speak to the same person twice ever! With paychex we have a dedicated team to us, 9 times out of 10 I speak to the same rep every time. It makes the ease of doing something as important as payroll with more confidence because the repore you have with customer service
May 15, 2018
Colleen M.
April 19, 2018

“Easy to navigate”

ProsEasy to use. I can navigate from benefits to payroll to retirement very easily. I can also find out answers to employees questions with out having to call Paychex. It is user friendly for both companies and employees.
ConsI do find that trying to find different reports can be a little bit challenging sometimes. When you create your own report it takes some time. Could be quicker.
April 19, 2018
Rae W.
HR manager
Plastics, 51-200 employees
August 13, 2019

“Paychex”

OverallPaychex is an easy payroll system that takes care of our payroll needs. The HR and accounting areas are great too that gather and calculate our entries for the month to import into the accounting system. Tax services have been great too
ProsThis is one of the easiest, user friendly payroll softwares I have used.
Consreports making can be challenging, but once you know what you are doing it is much easier
August 13, 2019
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
March 20, 2019

“easy & convenient for payroll”

OverallMy experience with Paychex has been top notch. I use their mobile app to see my paychecks when they come in, as well as monitor my 401k performance and adjust my contributions. And at the end of the year, they provide me all of my W2 information for tax filing.
ProsThe Paychex interface is easy to use and really self explanatory. For something as complex as payroll, it could be easy to make things more complicated than they need to be. But as an end user, Paychex is great because it gives me all the information I need in a condensed & understandable format.
ConsAs an employee, I have yet to find anything to dislike about Paychex. I can't speak for our administrator/person in charge of payroll, but as far as I know it's a great experience all around.
March 20, 2019
E-Learning, 51-200 employees
November 21, 2018

“Paychex has some unfortunate downsides”

OverallTypical clock in/out and benefit tracking.
ProsVery easy to view clocked in users, people on break, etc. As a manager it is easy to view and approve hours. It allows for a convienant way for staff to access paystubs and documentation.
ConsEmployees often have trouble with the site when punching in/out - the easiest to access option are buttons that move, and as a result it is easy to click the wrong button! Way more time clock corrections that we used to get. It is very difficult for staff to tell how much vacation time they have remiaining, they constantly have to ask for confirmation - very frustrating. It isn't always easy to tell that as a manager either, so we have had issues where people took more time than allocated. THE most frustrating aspect of it is when someone misses a punch - sometimes adding a missed punch is just a matter of clicking a box and filling in the correct time, other times switching a type of punch - like from start break to start meal is ridiculous and you can end up with a big mess. Have never seen a program that is so irritating to handle corrections like that. As a manager I hate working with this program.
Craig H.
Senior Accountant
Accounting, 1-10 employees
November 12, 2018

“Paychex”

OverallModerate. It was good for what we needed it for.
ProsI work in public accounting and It did what we needed it to do. We used it just to log our hours. We did not use it to log billable bourse. I wish we did in fact see what all the capabilities it had to offer!
ConsThe asthetics I personally did not like. It just seemed to be crude. But Tahts is just a personal opinion
November 12, 2018
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
October 3, 2018

“We use paychex and so far it seems good”

ProsI like that I can see all my paperwork and info for multiple jobs with one login. I have 2 jobs so I can see both paystubs/w-2s/etc all in one place which I like. Plus, my 401k information and my FSA is all done through paychex flex so its nice to have it in one place.
ConsI feel like the interface is a little hard to maneuver. I know we have a lot of capabilities but I have no idea how to use them. Getting to my 401k and trying to change/analyze it is a little hard and I am a pretty tech savy person.
October 3, 2018
gina c.
admin
Medical Practice, 51-200 employees
May 21, 2018

“paychex review”

ProsI like how paychex keeps track of all my vacation hours and how it sends reminders whenwe have to approve our time. its fairly easy to use.
ConsI feel like paychex seems to run super slow on most days. It sometimes takes me 2 to 3 minutes or more to sign on and after i punch it takes extra time for it to allow me to save it. the slowness is my biggest issue.
May 21, 2018