Lightspeed POS Ratings

Overall
4.2/5
4.3/5
4.2/5

About Lightspeed POS

Lightspeed Restaurant POS is an all-in-one cloud-based mobile solution that simplifies the way you serve customers and manage all your restaurant locations. Keep track of your tables, improve communication between your waitstaff and kitchen, process payments and deliver consistently amazing customer experiences ¿ all from your iPad. Learn more about Lightspeed POS

Shane R.
Computer Hardware, 1-10 employees
October 1, 2019

“Lightspeed Retail Changed the way we run out business”

OverallWe migrated from Lightspeed Onsite to Lightspeed retail nearly a year ago now, and the move has been fantastic. I did a LOT of research before the move to ensure we could take our Onsite Data over. Actually turned out there was some Workorder data that wouldn't migrate, but the upside to move to retail outweighed this by a long way. (As as work around, we simply left LightSpeed Onsite running side by side to Retail, and refer back only occasionally to Onsite. Isn't as big a deal as I thought it would be) Lightspeed retail is quick and powerful. Inventory management is completely accurate, and keeping track of special orders for customers is a breeze. We used to keep manual systems in place to keep track, but these have been retired. Customer management is excellent, keeping track of who owes what and what customer has how much on deposit for special orders. Lightspeed retail also integrates easily into our Tyro POS system, making credit card payments easy and accurate, no fear of adding or worse, leaving a zero off of the bill. Work orders can be colour coded to show where jobs are up to, and we keep all customer notes in the system. With LS retail being cloud based, I can even send a tech out onsite with and iPad and a Mobile Payment device and invoice, take payment and close a job before the tech leave customer site. On top of this, I have integrated a third party application called Service Reign to manage emails to customers post job to glean customer feedback.
ProsLS Retail is smart, accurate and quick. Inventory management is great, and reporting is comprehensive. This is everything we need to efficiently run our business. Being a cloud based system, we can track the business remotely.
ConsLS Retail (coming from LS Onsite), can be a little clunky at first, however once you understand the work flow of the system, it all makes sense.
October 1, 2019
Nathan K.
Marketing Manager
September 17, 2019

“Lightspeed is among the best POS platforms for growing businesses”

OverallLightspeed has proven to be an extremely stable POS system for our usage. Downtime has been extremely minimal and Lightspeed support teams are always able to get us back up and running quickly--often before the operating hours of our stores. With the stability of the software and the advanced insights into sales trends, we are able to understand our merchandising and inventory needs at a much more granular level. This ensures that we aren't wasting dollars on excessive inventory that is difficult to sell. We are also able to focus on the operational aspects of the business since the software has been so stable and reliable for us.
ProsThe sales tools are very easy to understand and enable us to train new employees quickly on the software. The software also makes managing multiple store locations easy and centralizes order and vendor information for our product managers to use across the company and analytics and insights that the software provides is essential to master the merchandising and inventory needs of our store.
ConsWhile Lightspeed offers excellent analytics tools and integrations, most of them come at an additional cost which may be a deterrent for smaller businesses. If you aren't planning on investing a great deal of effort into the growth of your business (i.e. more locations or omnichannel sales) than you may be better served with another option. Also, while there are several integrations and API connections available for the system without designing custom solutions, some POS systems offer greater scalability and integrations with software like third-party e-commerce management tools. When moving away from Lightspeed's products for solutions such as this, costs can quickly add up.
September 17, 2019
Jeanie V.
September 16, 2019

“7 Years In with Lightspeed”

OverallLightSpeed has proved to be a positive addition to our business over and over again.
ProsThe system allows vision into your business clearly and quite simply. From the day to day sales to the back office reports, the system is easy to use. In ALL cases where something is not exactly as you envision it, the customer support team is there to help; they are PHENOMENAL and coming from retail, I do use those words quite carefully. We launched our business with Light Speed Onsite and have since upgraded to Retail. Each and every step of the way, the support team has helped with and gone and above and beyond getting me operating thru, from the simplest to the complex. We have no other point of reference of other POS providers, but many times other they are present at tradeshows. From a personal perspective, hearing the sales pitch (what we assume is the best of the best), LightSpeed provides services and abilities well above the others.
ConsUnfortunately, price does come in to play. The cost, now knowing the system, is well worth it. However, there are other features that we feel should be included (as commonly seen elsewhere) that must be a "add-on" application from outside providers. Interpretation: add on = added costs. Being a small business, the cost of the POS system is significant enough, add on's are almost impossible to also incur.
Jessica F.
September 4, 2019

“Best POS for small businesses”

OverallOne major benefit is how easy my ordering is with their PO system.
ProsI moved from Lightspeed to Clover and it's night and day. I had to piecemeal the Clover system on the back end to be useful and Lightspeed hands you so much. I've since added more and more of the Lightspeed system like loyalty because their tools are amazing. One of the best parts is their customer service. You get quick answers and they go above and beyond. Whether it's something as simple as why isn't my shipping working on ecom or how can I verify my website with the different social media platforms, their FAQs and customer service team never disappoint. If you are thinking about switching, do it. You won't regret it. It's made me more efficient all around. Thanks Lightspeed!
ConsLots of different options so it takes a bit to determine what you need to use.
September 4, 2019
Julie R.
July 19, 2019

“Robust System Integrates Webstore and Brick- and - Mortar Store”

OverallI'm super happy with Lightspeed and I like how they have 24/7 customer service in case of a glitch. The staff is always very friendly and extremely knowledgeable. I tried another service (Sunrise POS) when I first started out and the guy promised me the world. Little did I know it wasn't even geared for retail it was a restaurant system. I was totally taken advantage of, I had no one to call for support and ended losing over 5k. Lightspeed is up front and caters to your needs. They are awesome!!
ProsIt's easy to use, It's easy to check on the store activity when I'm not there through my iPhone. It gives detailed reports on categories, vendors and daily sales. I love it because it manages the inventory on my website as well as my retail front. If I have 12 pieces listed on my web store and sell 4 in the store, it will deduct accordingly.
ConsNothing really. I wish some of the paid upgraded features were free.
July 19, 2019
Jennifer B.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
July 8, 2019

“TRACK YOUR PROFIT MARGINS! ”

OverallI have a small health food store in Sullivan, MO. We have been online with Lightspeed POS for nearly a year now. The partnership with Pointy is much appreciated. Even without paying for additional online presence I believe the Pointy helps direct traffic to our business for sure! Also the Lightspeed system easily allows you to track profit margins and sales. This by far has been my favorite asset to the system. Of course it does rely on setting up your inventory accurate, which is a process but a process that is undoubtedly an INVESTMENT! I tracked sales over a couple of months and noticed a dip in profit margins and traced that back to companies raising wholesale but not increasing the MSRP. This hurts brick and mortar retailers. I was able to easily pull up these products from certain vendors in an isolated manner and go through where our retail prices were set and be sure we were setting it at a proper profit margin to keep the lights on! A month after doing this I noticed profits margins went from 35-37% to 38-40%. We offer 20% off our set prices just to keep up with online businesses, so we have to make sure the set retail will allow us a proper profit margin after the advertised discount. LOVE this feature! Customer service has been prompt to help anytime we have asked. They are adding and improving things all the time!
ProsBeing able to track profit margins and sales. Knowing what products to keep around and which ones to remove from inventory.
ConsThere are 2 different sales screens and each has their pros and cons. but this is probably the most confusing thing in the system.
July 8, 2019
Justin R.
June 21, 2019

“Happy Bike Shop Owner”

OverallLightspeed has been great to work with. The training provided after purchase was great. On going customer support has been phenomenal.
ProsReally like the cloud based flexibility. Also love the syncing ability with most of my main vendors for importing purchase orders.
ConsOnly con is the fear of web being down or my local internet service not working and if that is the case not being able to run my store. This is has never been and actual issue though.
June 21, 2019
James G.
June 14, 2019

“Lightspeed makes retailing easier.”

ProsThe user interface was my first draw to Lightspeed. Ease of use and mostly easy workflows pulled me in. We also like the numerous integratabtle add ons available. The multi-store feature works well.
ConsIt did not believe in negative numbers but that is changing. We do not like that custom fields don't save the same way as other standard fields.
Zondre W.

“Great integrated system”

OverallLightspeed has been great. We have been using it for over a year and it has met my expectations. Whenever I request help, which isn't that often anymore they are quick to respond.
ProsThe best feature of LIghtspeed is the analytics package. As a senior manager you can spend a lot of time calculating your performance manually in excel. But the Analytics package takes care of all of that. It's easy to see the performance of your inventory, employees and marketing at any time. There are also a lot of apps that work with Lightspeed that make it the most functional POS system I've used. The fact that the ecommerce is integrated as well makes it a great fully integrated system. You could pay a lot more to piece together all the of the systems you need. Or you could spend a huge amount of money creating a custom system.
ConsThere are some small idiosyncrasies like not adjusting sync times for your local time zone. So, yesterday is never accurate you have to wait for the next days sync to get have accurate information. I would also like to be able to have our time management app sync employee time to Lightspeed so we don't have to enter it manually. I've given up on tracking employee hourly performance for this reason. Or if they offered a better time clock management natively that would help. I'd also like them to include the previous year comparisons in their dashboard. And, I'd like to look at seasonal performance rather than just month to month and week to week.
Sean J.
Co-Owner
May 29, 2019

“After Two Years - Lightspeed Remains The Best In All Categories ”

OverallLightspeed has literally saved us 20-30 hours per week. It connects and communicates well with all of our other systems; including accounting and loyalty platforms. Their customer and technical support have been extraordinary and have exceeded our expectations. In fact, I think their technical support is the best not just in the point of sale industry but any industry. I find myself wishing other vendors I work with had the same level of support and professionalism. Lightspeed also listens to their customers; this is evident by requests made in their support area. They actually respond to every request. As a small business owner, we worry about many things. Lightspeed is not one of them!
ProsAfter two other point of sale systems; and after two years using Lightspeed, it is by far the best in all categories. We had two previous POS systems that fell short in comparison to Lightspeed. Part of our success with Lightspeed is that after two previous point of sale systems; we knew what we really needed and the right questions to ask during the sales process. We submitted specific questions in writing. All of our questions we answered in detail in less than 24-Hours. The sales team knows their products and knew my industry. In fact, most of our distributors catalogs are already pre-loaded into their system. The transition from our other popular POS was relatively easy, especially in comparison to our previous transition. The Lightspeed team was always there to help and even anticipated needs before I knew them. The inventory system and purchase order system work well.
ConsThe only limitation we have with Lightspeed in related to the fact that we sell a lot of items by weight. This does not create a significant problem for us; but having bulk items accounted for in inventory would be a nice to have. We would love an integrated scale capability. The Lightspeed team was more than willing to help us set up our system to sell bulk items; it works better than another other POS we looked at.
May 29, 2019
Ernest b.
August 16, 2018

“Best Decision I have made for my company!!”

ProsThe features we wanted and needed in or software and love about Lightspeed are: 100% Cloud based solution True Omni Channel environment Streamlined processes Extremely well written software and Knowledge base Ability to upload vendor price list, descriptions to Lightspeed All of our vendors information is at our finger tips, before we would have to hunt or go looking for this information now it's just there. Growing a retail business today can be done with lightspeed, since they have thought out whole process, and added a robust interface of features A seamless connection to QuickBooks online. We went out and reviewed, demoed almost 20 POS vendors some that were more specific to our industry and some that weren't and the boiled it down to 3 for all of our staff to review since they were going to be using the software daily and focused on the employee that has the most stress related to their respective job and targeted it first and secondly everyone else We had to have 24/7 support The most important feature we needed was it had to empower our team thru the business model we run and grow the team in all aspects of our business
ConsIt took a lot of time to get the information together from our 30+ year old company to go over to lightspeed platform from our old systems, and it was quite a chore for a small company. And not all of our information could come over in the initial installation lightspeed was somewhat limited, we could not bring our customers history and vendor history either. Reporting could be better and should be included with the base product, you will at some point "have to have the reports add-on" it is however an amazing extension on the base product. You have to have a good internet connection since you will be using a 100% Cloud based product, and you will have to have a backup internet connection, so you are always connected. We went out and reviewed, demoed almost 20 POS vendors some that were more specific to our industry and some that weren't and the boiled it down to 3 for all of our staff to review. We focused on the employee that gets the most stress with their respective job and targeted it first and secondly everyone else and Lightspeed has done this.
August 16, 2018
Dave L.
Owner / Head Meeple
June 22, 2018

“Fantastic Inventory Management”

OverallWe've been open a little over three years. When we first opened, we explored over a dozen Point of Sale systems including Revel, Shopkeep, Vend, Lightspeed Retail, Square, and several others. We decided on Lightspeed, but discovered they didn't have a clear roadmap for Apple Pay, and so we went with our second choice, Shopkeep. Shopkeep was fantastic for the first year, but as our inventory grew (we carry over 10,000 unique SKUs), it's inventory management features started to feel sluggish, and receiving orders each week started to take a significant amount of time. During our second year, we started reevaluating all the players again, and setup a trial account with Lightspeed Retail. Certain things seemed counter intuitive at first - if we mistakenly created an item, we couldn't simply delete it, for example. This is because Lightspeed Retail strives to preserve all financial and transactional data; since an item could contain a sales history, it can't be deleted. Instead, it's archived, and can be restored to visibility with the click of a button. Over time, we've come to appreciate this feature, and the sheer amount of data that is provided through the system. Inventory Counts can be done quickly - grab an iPad and a bar code scanner, and just start scanning items on your slat wall, shelf, or other display area. When you're done, you can review the counts, reconcile them, and get information on shrinkage, etc. Acquiring product and receiving it is a breeze. We can build our POs in Lightspeed Retail - using trigger points or by simply adding items to an open PO. We can then email that PO directly to our distributor, who processes it. When the items come in, we can quickly receive them either using a barcode scanner, keying in the item counts line by line, or doing a visual confirmation and clicking the "receive everything and do the right thing" buttons. Printing labels with barcodes is a breeze. What really sets Lightspeed apart is their service. I can honestly say that I have no idea how to setup the label printer on our Lightspeed system, because whenever we install a new laptop or desktop that needs access, I simply chat with Lightspeed support and they remote into our system and do the right thing. When we set our printer up the first time, the print was a little too far to the left for my liking. They tweaked the templates on the fly, with me offering help like "No, a little more to the right" until it was done. They're insanely helpful.
Pros- Excellent Purchase Order Workflow - Easy tool to do inventory counts quickly - (Beta) Import Tool makes it easy to bulk load new items, or update existing ones - Supports custom fields to add additional information to items (Release Dates, for example) - Phone and online support is fantastic
Cons- May seem pricey if you aren't leveraging all the features - Limited barcode scanner compatibly - Custom fields are not currently searchable
June 22, 2018
Amit M.
Restaurants, 11-50 employees
July 19, 2017

“Excellent software for growing businesses.”

OverallOverall the software is amazing and the good outweighs the bad and a tested about 10 different PoS softwares when I was shopping around and none of them encompass everything I have mentioned so i know my expectations are very high....which is why I state again...if they added in these features it would make them industry leaders and really a phenomenal PoS system. (its 90% of the way there for me...just a few more features and if would be the best)
ProsThe integration with xero accounting has been a true time saver for my business. It transfers all sales data at the end of the day seamlessly so I don't have to. The ability to use the front end off site has been super helpful as well as it doesn't tie me down to the store and I can do a lot of my work on the go. Creating products, invoicing clients, setting up the main screen custom to what I want is extremely simple once you run through it once.
ConsTheres a few simple features that are missing from the PoS software which I would like to see integrated and would make it hands down the best in the industry for small businesses. 1) Getting an integrated payment terminal that accepts chip, pay pass and swipe options would avoid any mistakes between manually punching in the amounts on the debit/credit machine and would avoid any back end work after the day closes to be able to balance the day 2) Allowing me to enter the details of the invoices (supplier name, invoice number, total amount being paid, gst, pst, etc.) that are being paid out on a daily basis and having that information transferred to xero would alleviate tons of paper work after the close of the day. 3) There is no way to pull out a month end statement for corporate clients that pay their account once a month. Checks have to be cross referenced manually with the bills that have been put on tab. You should be able to at the very least select which tab invoices are being paid from the list of invoices on the clients account. This would show which ones are outstanding at a glance rather than having to refer back to the paper invoices that the system creates. 4) A front facing screen to display pricing of items being charged, advertisements, and other information is something I have been asking for since day 1 (3 years now). And I would love to see this feature incorporated. 5) Having the ability to offer a discount for a bulk purchase is something that should be automatic.
July 19, 2017
Rebekah B.
3.5/5
September 12, 2016

“Lightspeed Retail review from retailer”

ProsWe have used Lightspeed Retail for over 2 years now for our seasonal retail business as well as a small wholesale operations that includes manufacturing/production. While small scale compared with many POS users, we have unique and demanding needs and have struggled to find a good software interface. Lightspeed has been a solid performer and worked well for us. We have a wide range of part time employees with various levels of tech savvy and expertise. Lightspeed is intuitive and user-friendly in basic procedure - checkout, returns, applying discounts, holding or suspending sales and adding customers. Lightspeed was on time with EMV-certified terminal support by the October 2015 deadline and has worked well with Cayan. Adding products is straightforward. We only use the most basic features of purchase orders and inventory management - we do not rely on Lightspeed to generate orders based on stock but those look like useful features for larger operations. Reporting is comprehensive and makes it easy to track sales and trends and reports are easily exported to Excel. Customer service has been prompt and when there are long wait times, you have the option to leave your number and receive a return call. Follow through on issues has been good and while there have been challenges, problems are resolved in a timely manner. For the products we produce, the "build" function works well to create the pieces from parts in inventory.
ConsThe main unresolved issue I have had with Lightspeed is that it rounds the cost of items to two decimal places. We deal in 100s of pieces that are fractions of a cent and therefore simply cannot track costs. All of these items show as have no cost which is extremely problematic and exponentially so when a piece is created from several "no cost" items. I was told almost two years ago that a fix had been requested by many customers and indeed it was listed several times in the "Lightspeed Ideas" but to my knowledge nothing has been done. If this could be fixed, Lightspeed would be an almost perfect POS solution for us! Also it is spendy. But I guess you get what you pay for.
Recommendations to other buyersEvery business is unique and has unique demands. Even a small business can move beyond the scope of robust software so do your research and start with short contracts. Lightspeed has been great to work with!
September 12, 2016
Jeremy S.
Apparel & Fashion, Unspecified
August 11, 2015

“Packed with features, with room to grow”

ProsGreat reporting, easy to use simplicity. Constantly improving the software, interface, features, etc. It is superb for inventory management. Gift Cards are easy to use, re-use, re-charge, etc. Customer loyalty programs are being integrated, once more are integrated, this platform will be far above the competition. This platform is great for starting small, or large. It has all the features you didn't know you would need. With constant feedback from customers like myself, they are constantly listening and improving the retail POS systems. I know I list quite a few things I don't like, but the software's great qualities far exceed the negatives, which may be phased out sooner or later with updates.
ConsCloud based, when it has issues, you are stuck with just an iPad or Computer. Nothing can be done with the systems. No sales, no reports, nothing. The Technology division reports that they are working to improve infrastructure, so I hope that happens before the 2015 holiday season. They are a very popular POS system and are growing very fast. Credit Card readers are subpar with Element Payments, but improving. Plus the EMV card readers are due in a couple of months. I've used both the headphone & lightning connector styles for the iPad. Each have positives and negatives. The headphone card reader wears out if you swipe alot, I swipe approx 25-50/day and its lasted about 8 months and is constant on reading cards. Lightning connector card reader isn't designed to be used while charging your iPad. So if you run 50+ transactions in a day on the iPad, you will need to remove the card reader to charge the iPad mid day, because charging the iPad through the card reader takes so long that the iPad uses power faster than its recharged, so removing the card reader to keep the iPad charged is a nuisance. Also the micro usb charging port on the Lightning Card reader looses its connection like all micro USB connectors typically do with wear. The iPad uses Wifi & Bluetooth all day for the internet and barcode reader, so it drains the power quickly. I may switch to the computer versions for holidays when we are busy and cant be recharging the iPad all the time. When you create your account, be ready to be charged for each employee after you have more than 7 in the system. If you don't keep track of employee sales, times, etc using the system, then a single pin for each sale will work, but if you want to use all the employee tracking features for sales, time, you have to pay for each employee you add to the system after 7 I believe. I use 9-12 employees off and on, so I have to pay for each one for the full year after #7. The employee's should be included in the package price, up to 15, then have a price structure for the next 5, not each one. It becomes more expensive as you grow as a business and want to keep track of employee data. It has no commissions structure. So if you want to give commissions, you have to do that manually with your reporting data.
Recommendations to other buyersCompare not just the systems hardware, but it features. For the price, its cheaper than REVEL, its far better than ShopKeep. You get all the features included when you use the merchant processor, competitors only allow all features to be used if you use their selected merchant processor, so even though they integrate with say, your existing merchant account, you may not get all the features of the POS system. LightSpeed only offers two merchant processors, Element Payments is the best, and I get to use all the features of the system. Most other POS systems will just try to sell you into an agreement regardless of thought to your business, so ask for a referral. I've given many referrals, and the questions I ask prospective Lightspeed customers shocks them into realizing how great this system can be compared to what they are doing now. Get Referrals, call them and have a list of questions ready for them to answer. Ask them, what was the last problem you had? Will this system grow with your during the busy holiday seasons? How long does it take to learn the system.
August 11, 2015
Barry G.
February 7, 2018

“Exceptional - It's amazing what you can do with Lightspeed Point of Sale & eCom”

OverallQuick reliable and organized access to: sales, inventory, customer information. A software system that allows me to create POs, send them electronically to vendors, document all aspects of product ordering. A system that provides an eCommerce public facing front-end that is highly customizable.
ProsEase of use (given how flexible and intricate the program is). Browser based for legacy PCs - with multiple browser tabs allowed to easily switch between POS modules. iPad based app for portability to remote sales locations. Even works on smartphones for quick updates and status checks. Cloud based - therefore, access your business information anywhere you are Internet connected. Great support staff - knowledgeable, friendly and insightful. eCom module (additional fee) plugs in seamlessly allows you to sync retail SKUs so that they are public facing via your Lightspeed hosted website. Item sold on-line via eCom is immediately updated to the cloud and reflected in POS (and vice versa).
ConsWhile the POS and eCom integration is wonderful, you still must manage inventory on both platforms in order to get the desired results. For example, when new inventory arrives you receive the items through your POS based purchase order. This boosts your inventory and handles new/updated cost, retail pricing, etc., and passes all of this on to eCom. However, you then need to access eCom to update public facing product narratives, SEO related fields, related products, additional category related references, etc.. So, while both programs are great and work together - it will be even better when FULL integration of the two programs is achieved.
February 7, 2018
January 17, 2019

“Transferring from Onsite to Retail after nearly 10 years of service..”

ProsWe have been using Lightspeed POS systems since 2008. As we made our transition from Onsite to the Cloud based server in the Summer of 2018, Lightspeed has gone the extra mile to make sure that their product worked with our relatively unique business. Although not without its stumbles along the way, The reps have gone out of their way to make sure that we are well prepared for whatever may come our way. Both the reps follow-through, attention to detail, and never-ending patience have been exemplary.
ConsThere were some aspects of Retail that were told to us as if they were included, but we soon realized many of the benefits of Retail are add-ons (aka cost extra money) and needed to be heavily jerry rigged to work for our specific business. A lot of small yet important issues, like record keeping of outgoing emails with receipts, or the ability to change a purchase after it has been completed. We used to be able to edit invoices on Onsite, and now even an owner, admin or manager does not have that option. Furthermore, if a customer decides to ship their purchase after it has completed, there is no way to alter the invoice to make it so. Or that we cannot use any of the same labels or gift cards that we once used with Onsite. There are just many small things that were not made clear that we would be losing when we moved over
January 17, 2019
Barbara F.
Managing Member
August 27, 2018

“Robust Information Effectively Presented”

OverallLightspeed's customer support is excellent overall. At least half the time when we experience a problem, it's due to our lack of understanding rather than a shortfall of the product. Their responses are usually prompt and helpful. Also, in almost three years of using the product, we have had virtually zero downtime and have seen nary a hiccup through numerous system updates and the occasional hotfix.
ProsTons of valuable information for every product we sell. And in contrast to some other systems that try to pack everything on a single page, Lightspeed Retail allocates product information across a menu of pages so you can quickly navigate to the data you want (and ignore what you don't want). And much of the information is searchable in ways that help our business create purchase orders and determine which products to stock or discontinue. We have been cautious in taking advantage of partnerships available through Lightspeed (i.e., their ecommerce platform and loyalty program), but our recent experience with both of those has been excellent.
ConsSome aspects of ongoing database management are not transparent to the technically nonproficient user. We have 5500+ SKUs that are constantly in flux, and our list of vendors also changes regularly. Our efforts to clean up the clutter of stale information are not always successful. And some types of searches are not well supported (so far).
August 27, 2018
Terry M.
Partner
July 10, 2017

“The best POS we have had in our 91 years in business”

OverallOur experience with several POS systems over the years indicates that it is important to understand how a proposed POS system works and what the costs are and what the assurance is that the system will work for us. Time spent in learning how well the POS matches our processes is very important. Fortunately, we took the time to go over our needs in depth with Lightspeed sales and were able to be sure the solution fit our needs before purchase. We are very happy with our Lightspeed product and service.
ProsWe have used Lightspeed Retail for about 5 years and have integrated it with their Webstore ecommerch for 2 years before changing over to Lightspeed Ecom for the past 8 months. Getting POS and integrated ecommerce to work together takes more work than most people realize, so it is important to have technical support available that is willing and competent. We have found Lightspeed to be flexible enough to work with our preferences for POS and ecommerce. And, we have had excellent experience particularly with the Ecom help and also with Lightspeed POS help.
ConsWe have found very few problems with the POS and Ecom products. There is a small rounding issue so that occasionally PO's need to be adjusted by a few cents to match an invoice amount from a supplier. We have almost always been able to get the results we need by calling tech support and telling them what we are wanting to do and getting their suggestions about possible solutions.
July 10, 2017
Sam Y.
Building Materials, 1-10 employees
August 2, 2019

“Best value & functionaility point of sale. Period.”

OverallOverall it's been wonderful. Certainly has made my slow business growth possible.
ProsAbsolutely the BEST thing about Lightspeed is the quick access to knowledgeable support. Also, Lightspeed meets the needs of my business's work flow. The interface is clean and easy to navigate.
ConsThat a default option is not available for adding a drop ship address to PO.
August 2, 2019
Rex S.
Business Owner
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
March 6, 2019

“Amazing Features! Highly Recommend!”

OverallRecommend to any size restaurant! Its highly scalable and can grow with you. I love the menu creation feature, and how it can do delivery and take-out with no issues, even add to the same ticket. The layout tool is a strong part of Lightspeed. It has every feature to design a solution that allows for the waitstaff to feel they have control over the flow of seating. Highly recommend Lightspeed!
ProsLightspeed has the features! I like the integration with the web on the retail side. It seamlessly integrates the our clients stores with the eCommerce site they have. This allows for much better inventory control, and allows to offer the same features as the big box stores. Things like order online, and pick-up it the store. The lightspeed restaurant edition, is the one the best we have used or offered to clients. We directly tested and used this software looking for issues. We found very little, and nothing to sway from using. The server module which allows for table and waitress management is one of the best I have every used. Allow you to layout your restaurant exactly as you have it. You can even have multiple layouts which allows for if you change arrangements for evening dinning or large parties. Creating your menu is something that lacks in many software for food service. Lightspeed offers full control over the menu! you can go as deep as you want in what you track right down to the salt and pepper per item. Allows for pictures, ingredients, costs, specials, limited time specials, up sale, add-ons, combo, you name it, it can be done. Highly recommend this software for any size food service business.
ConsNo real cons. They offer updates, the support is there. I would say that the cost per location can add up for multi-location businesses. Overall it is becoming one of the best.
March 6, 2019
Jamie C.
CIO
Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees
April 27, 2019

“Broad but often shallow”

ProsLightspeed has a lot of options and is pretty well integrated. The connection between retail and ecom and loyalty in particular is great. Easy to use, easy to train staff on. Support is geared towards shopkeepers that aren't tech savvy. Look and feel of the software is good. The Retail POS has good reporting, good inventory featrures. The Loyalty add on is a great, easy to use program (with some challenges, so make sure you clarify your needs) and well priced.
ConsThe strategy seems to be "offer a little of everything" - but we have found that means broad functionality, but not deep functionality. In the Retail package, several basic retail store based point of sale features are missing, and according to their customer ideas forum are "Not Planned". Lack of fractional items means you can't use it to sell bulk items or anything where you need to enter a fractional quantity like '1.25'. Promotions and discounts are so limited as to be almost non-existent. While you can take simple % or $ discounts, you can't do item quantity discounts (no BOGO, no case discount), no promotional coupons, very limited automated discounting. Support says "let employees manually add discounts or change prices" which is crazy - a great way to increase shrink and sweethearting at the cash wrap. While you can create custom fields, they don't do anything - can't report on them, can't search on them, can't see them in the transaction. After being impressed with the initial demo (the broad functionality led us to believe it was deep as well) and the friendly sales team, we were super surprised during implementation that we couldn't do 50% of the things we needed to do during the actual cash register sales transaction. The ecom side seems to be more complete - it actually does have item/quantity discounts. The only challenge we have had there is lack of support (without paying extra for a third party add-on) for local delivery.
Justin B.
October 29, 2015

“Very Intuitive POS”

ProsWe've been using Lightspeed Retail for close to a year now and have been very happy. My biggest compliment is how user friendly the entire platform is. The system is very intuitive which saves me hours when training a new employee. Any computer-literate person can jump in and figure out the essentials on their own in a matter of minutes. I'm still learning the ins and outs of some of the more advanced settings/reports, but if they're anything like the features I use daily, I suspect I'll be happy with those too. I've had to call customer support several times over the last year, and each time has been a pleasant experience. Most recently, I was on hold, waiting for a representative to pick up. After about 30 seconds, I was offered to have them call me back once one became available. It worked well because I could go back to working on other things. About 20 minutes later, I got the call, the rep immediately fixed one of my issues, then said he'd have our account manager call back to help with my other question (he wasn't able to make the changes I was requesting). Our account manager called back later that day, and after doing some research, got us exactly what we were hoping for. I can understand people's dissatisfaction with being on hold or waiting for someone to call you back. If it's an urgent issue, that would be very frustrating. Maybe we've been lucky, but none of the issues I've had to call about have been time sensitive so it worked really well having them call me back instead of being stuck on the phone waiting for someone to pick up. All in all, we've be very satisfied with their service. Hopefully things continue to improve!
ConsHonestly, I have very little complaints. Maybe have more support reps so there's no hold time? But I realize adding the extra staff would get expensive quick.
Recommendations to other buyersGive it a try! I believe they offer month to month subscriptions so there's very little investment.
October 29, 2015
Michael M.
Owner, Philosopher
June 23, 2019

“Happy Customers.”

OverallI own Furniture and Blinds in Toronto, Canada, and have been a dedicated Lightspeed user for over a decade, back when you rolled out a now very-dated version of Lightspeed for Mac only. We just recently went from OnSite to the cloud and e-commerce solutions, and I am crossing my fingers that these deliver for us as the software has done in the past! I just wanted to write to express my sincere thanks to you and the team, as well as those who provided critical support (I forget their names at the moment) last week when we orchestrated the transition. I especially appreciated my reps willingness to engage with my many different questions as I contemplated the upgrade over a period of several months starting in March, his constant support as we moved forward with the purchase more recently, and finally his critical role helping expedite the process of transition over a period of five hours last week. I must also extend my most hearty thanks to the patient support team who guided me through the process. What a professional and courteous experience throughout -- Lightspeed really does set the gold standard in this regard. It is really incredible to receive this kind of care and support, especially from a Canadian company, and I just wanted to convey my sincere gratitude to you, and the rest of the team. We will continue to support you. 6/5 stars!!!
ProsLove the cross-platform integration, cloud, and aesthetic!
ConsThe fact that we have to continue to pay more for upgrades, better themes, etc.
June 23, 2019
Justin F.
April 1, 2013

OverallWe made the switch to Lightspeed, from Quickbooks, in 2011 during a major expansion of our 1000 sq ft retail clothing store. It was the perfect choice to meet our quickly growing needs for a better organized and more functional way to track inventory, make sales and view reports -- in fact, we really regretted not switching earlier! The easy to use POS screen made training our employees a breeze and ensures that sales data is captured completely and systematically for each transaction -- something we didn't have the ability to do when we were hand-typing each sales invoice in Quickbooks. Plus, the addition of integrated hardware (a barcode scanner, barcode label printer, cash drawer and receipt printer) accomplished even more than faster transaction time and more accurate inventory records -- it made our sales staff seem more professional and our customers feel more comfortable. Inventory tracking is one of the biggest strengths of this software. You can determine how much information you want to enter about each product, depending on what data you want to collect - multiple suppliers and costs, UPC codes, margins, related products and packaging... It was revolutionary for us to be able to know exactly what we have in inventory instead of confusing spreadsheets full of inconsistently described merchandise. We love that we can see detailed information about which products we have on the floor versus what's in storage, that we can quickly compare expenses with profits, and that we can create reorders and customer - specific orders with a couple of clicks. We also added the Lightspeed webstore when we switched to Lightspeed - and we're so happy that we did. We'd tried using several different platforms for an online shop, but kept running into the nagging issue of inventory maintenance since we were listing the same products online that were for sale in our brick-and-mortar shop. Lightspeed provides us with an integrated inventory for both stores, updating our database live, so that we never sell the same item twice. Products are easy to add to (or remove from) the webstore and web sales are easy to track. Plus we were able to do quite a bit of customization ourselves, adding both functionality and attractiveness to the existing template. We'd recommend that if you're going to use the Lightspeed web store, you work closely with a web developer who can help you get the most out of this great feature. Lightspeed customer service has been impeccable. They're fast, kind and very knowledgeable. Plus they really seem to care that you and your business succeed, with the help of their software. We'd recommend that you purchase the Maintenance Plan so that you get instant access to their support gurus. Totally worth it.
April 1, 2013
Samantha S.
May 31, 2019

“Best Of The Best!”

OverallWe've been using Lightspeed for over 2 years now and love all of the features we have access to with this system. We can easily enter in purchase orders, check a wide variety of reports in real time, and integrate our store inventory with our website instantaneously. Choosing Lightspeed was a no brainer for our business. No regrets with this decision.
ProsUser Friendly Quick Setup Multitude of features
ConsCost is high Can't offer gift cards to online shoppers
May 31, 2019
Emily H.
July 24, 2019

“Lightspeed POS”

OverallCustomer service was so helpful and quick to respond. We have enjoyed lightspeed for over a year now and I still learning new reports that are helpful in running by business. Reaching our customers on a personal level has never been easier. We are able to see their spending patterns and reach out to those we are in danger of losing.
ProsI love how easily I can track inventory, sales, and customer data in real time. So much information that we never had access to before.
ConsThe transition from old software to this new one was difficult in the beginning but now I can't imagine ever going back to the old way of doing things.
July 24, 2019
Michelle E.
Marketing Director
August 13, 2019

“Does exactly what it's meant to do ”

OverallLightspeed as a POS for retail is great. When I started my position they were using a server based POS system which didn't work for the growth of the business to Amazon, Ebay and our two Shopify stores. I absolutely love lightspeed - they have great customer service and I know that if anything happens it will be fixed quickly. Highly recommend!
ProsEasy to use and great customer service. Cannot ask for a better product
ConsThe one thing I wish this product would do is be able to run the custom fields we have in a report.
August 13, 2019
Food & Beverages, 51-200 employees
April 27, 2019

“A great solution that still needs work”

ProsIt's incredibly versatile and intuitive; many of our staff were highly adept with it within the first few weeks of implementation. The program opened up a lot of doors for us in terms of what we were able to do with our products, and granted much higher data recovery and trend evaluation than our previous solution. Product creation is smooth and intuitive and the link between Retail and eCom has cut our time in half when it comes to creating new product listings for our web store. Lightspeed has a few solutions that I haven't come across in any other software in my experience. The capabiltity of creating product matrixes; the ability to easily perform layaways and special orders for customers; the customization options for work flow process are all wonderful additions that have greated increased our business' efficiency.
ConsThere are a few issues with the software when it comes to feature implementation. The program is obviously not designed to be used with a business of our scope and those weaknesses can at times feel nonsensical. There are many ways in which the Retail and eCom sides seem to be at a disconnect. These are very obviously two separate programs which have been bridged after the fact, but the fact remains that there are still places where those bridges are more cobbled together, or even nonexistent, than they should be.
February 15, 2019

“Lightspeed POS for Retail and Restaurant”

OverallOverall I really do like our Lightspeed POS system, and am glad we use it in our retail/restaurant hybrid situation. I trust that they'll continue to work to integrate them at an accelerated pace.
ProsWe use Lightspeed on both the restaurant and bar sides of our business, moreover, the Lightspeed Retail feeds directly to our eCom site. I especially like that there are a lot of inventory management and reporting features on the retail side, and in a perfect world it should be a perfect tool for managing the physical and financial aspects of inventory. There are lots of different ways to handle customer payments, including credit accounts. We do have a few thousand SKUs, but still, Lightspeed POS still seems to work for us.
ConsI do not like that the interfaces for retail/restaurant/eCom are not the same. Reporting is relatively intuitive within each branch of the software, but it seems like if you're selling a comprehensive package then you would make them similarly intuitive so that going between different parts of one business is seamless. The Lightspeed Restaurant POS reporting seems a bit flawed to me - it does not offer any sort of till reconciliation information, despite the fact that it asks you to count in and count out your till every day.
February 15, 2019
Andy C.
Associate
March 12, 2018

“Great Company and Outstanding Product.”

ProsWe run a one location bicycle sales and repair shop in NJ. For the past 10 years we used Microsoft Dynamics Point of Sale. Because Microsoft chose to exit the Point of Sale space, we needed to replace our system, with something that was flexible, cloud based, and expandable. Another key requirement was solid technical support 24-7, 365. We looked at many systems and settled on Lightspeed. We converted our files and system a little over a year ago, over the Thanksgiving weekend, 2017. I cannot begin to tell you how happy we have been. The conversion went as close to seamless as possible, the on boarding and continuing support is outstanding, and the product fits our needs beyond our expectations. We have been using it now for over a year and are extremely happy with the product. In fact, we just persuaded our friend who operates a bait and tackle shop to also use Lightspeed. We highly recommend Lightspeed.
ConsIf we had to pick one item that could a little work it would be the year end annual inventory module. There is no current capability to be able to scan all on hand inventory into the system and compare it against on hand computer balances.
March 12, 2018
Garrett D.
ED
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
August 30, 2018

“We Tried Them All: Vend, Shopify, HikePOS, NCR SIlver, Square, BigCommerce, ShopKeep, etc”

OverallTruly the best POS out there, they just get it.
ProsAs a nonprofit it's mandatory we are in compliance with General Accepted Accounting Principles. We have complex inventory logistics with different locations which made finding a good solution, difficult at the very least. Truthfully, if Lightspeed didn't work we would have moved to a mainframe system. What's difficult about the POS systems is that you don't realize everything you need until you've invested so much time. It's either their inventory management, how they integrate with your online platform, how well they integrate with other programs (despite how much they assure you) or how clueless their support. From the beginning, we drilled down with Lightspeed and even refused to sign a year commitment because we were skeptical. But having been with the program now several months you will not regret starting with LightSpeed first or if you're looking for a better solution switching. Their support has a phone (which is rare) and is very well trained. The product really has excellent features that function as they are supposed to and the capacity to grow with you.
ConsI wish we could have found them earlier, better marketing online would have saved us so much time, money and resources from getting drawn in from other POS systems that continued to come up short.
August 30, 2018
Andy W.
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 1-10 employees

“Love this product!”

OverallOur business had been searching for a POS system that was able to handle the huge inventory that we have in addition to the large number of clients that we take care of on a daily basis. We'd tried a few in the past but with one thing or another they just didn't suit the purpose that we needed. Either the inventory management was lacking or the user-friendliness required to streamline our sales was. Enter Lightspeed. First of all the import of data from our old system to the new was almost flawless and the minor issues we did have were taken care of by a member of their excellent support staff almost as quickly as the issues presented themselves. The inventory management part of the POS is amazing. Not only is it incredibly accurate it's also super easy to navigate! I can build purchase orders and enter inventory received so much faster than I had been able to in the past. When I say that this has saved me personally hours of time I am not exaggerating! A job that used to take me hours is now done in a matter of minutes. The system itself is so very user friendly that even the least computer literate of our team has no problem navigating the software. Add to the fact that we can use it portably while running on an iPad or other tablet and this system really has improved the way that we are able to interact with and help our clients. Andy Walters, Manager 23rd Street Body Piercing
ProsEase of use. Amazing inventory management. Client database. ecommerce integration Customer Service (5*!)
ConsSo far it's been very difficult to find anything to write in here. Anything I would include would be tiny, nit-picking things.
Hannah A.
Owner of Luna Claires
Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees
August 30, 2019

“Lightspeed Review ”

OverallWe are able to use Lightspeed to see trends in our business and pull reports that are vital to the life of our business.
Pros It is very easy to use and train employees. I love the fact that Lightspeed is available 24/7 if you have questions. They very receptive and always resolve any issue I have ever had.` I love I can log in and virtually anywhere to update inventory, etc.
Consnothing I don't like. I wish there was an appointment setting option that we could use for scheduling services.
August 30, 2019
Brad A.
March 30, 2018

“Long time customer with multiple locations”

OverallWe have been using lightspeed since it was first introduced. The company has been great to work with and really cares about small businesses. The program keeps evolving and seems to get better and better with every update. I would reccomend it to any small business that wants to be as efficient as possible and wants a POS that can grow with them.
ProsThe cloud-based platform is very convenient. You can access it from any device with our without a touchscreen and it is very easy to use. This allows us to process transactions from anywhere including events and deliveries. The menus are simple and easy to navigate and training for new employees goes quickly. The service schedule keeps our entire service depatrment on task and the ability to customize the menus makes writing up tickets quick and easy. Also, the ability to view real time inventory at each store, integration to our webstore, and vendor catelogs makes inventory management much easier.
ConsThe transfer inventory feature from store to store is a little clumsy and has created some inventory discrepancies
March 30, 2018
Gwen I.
March 14, 2018

“LOVE Lightspeed”

OverallWe used QuickBooks POS for years and when it was time to upgrade we went with REVEL based on their recommendation, NOT a good choice. The system didn't do many of the things that we had specifically asked for and was not a good transition for our retail shop. And so we began our research into a new POS system. We met with numerous vendors, asked tons of questions and finally had to bite the bullet and choose one. We picked LIghtspeed, and have not once regretted our decision. One of their biggest pluses is the help; there is a very easy to use help feature right on the site and if that doesn't answer your question a person is available by chat or phone. Lightspeed really seems to care if their users are happy; they take our recommendations of upgrades or fixes to the systems and they are always there to assist us. We really feel like we have a partner!
ProsWe were able to use the computers we already had. The help that is available right on the site or easily by contacting Lightspeed is wonderful. Easy to use.
ConsThe only thing I would say is that there are some features that would be nice, but can't really call it a Con since Lightspeed listens to its users and is always making upgrades and changes.
March 14, 2018
Adnan V.
July 22, 2019

“Best POS System , very easy to use , i have 2 stores and its easy to use & Learn .”

Overall100% Satisfied , thats why i am with Lightspeed POS FROM Last 2 years .
ProsVery Easy to use and didn't lose any inventory .
ConsGreat , easy to use , everything is great about this system .
July 22, 2019
David D.
Sales, IT
June 27, 2019

“Lightspeed Retail is the best cloud based POS system on the market”

OverallLightspeed Retail is cloud based POS system that comes with a host of features for the modern retailer. Very suitable for small-to-medium businesses with single or multiple locations. Pricing is scalable depending on the size of the organization. We give them 5 stars even though there are a few flaws, but comparable systems seem to have more flaws, and Lightspeed has an active and responsive system for submitting feedback and a user forum for feature discussion, which I recommend investigating before purchase.
Pros- Many features customizable and useful to the sporting retail/footwear industry. - Powerful Analytics (extra cost) - Constant Updates/Upgrades, responsive community.
Cons- More costly than our previous system. - some minor quirks (unable to drive inventory into negative so it automatically makes an adjustment when sale completes) (whole numbers only in the number of units field, no decimals).
June 27, 2019
Marion C.
January 21, 2019

“We recommend LightSpeed”

OverallNo system is perfect, but we have found LightSpeed has overall exceeded our expectations, and we are very pleased with the program and their service!
ProsWe have been using LightSpeed point of sale systems since 2014, and are very pleased overall. We found the program easy to use and adaptable. The dashboard provides many terrific reports for inventory/profit / sales information. The customer service & help desk have always been readily available for questions, and prompt with answers and technical support. They also offer online seminars and learning sessions for retailers. We have not used either the Loyalty app or the Online e-commerce yet.
ConsWe have the odd issue with printing receipts and labels, depending on if we are using the system in Firefox or Chrome. Each web engine has its pros & cons. We can usually sort out printing issues without involving technical support. Ideally, we would prefer specific information on our sales labels, but what we do have will suffice.
January 21, 2019
Tracy T.
Chief Marketing and Operations Officer
November 10, 2016

“Taking over Retail with Lightspeed”

OverallIn a sea of POS/Retail Software, it's extremely hard to weed out the good from the bad. After months of research I was confident in choosing Lightspeed for our company. The ease of the retail software and training for sale associates on using the software was the best quality. You don't have to be a computer genius to use this software and even if you are it stands up to that as well. The amount of features the software has is amazing. Being able to track sales and discounts, from customer purchases, the list is long is it's great features, plus the ease and integration for having an online web store.
ProsTracking inventory, sales, being able to track employee performances. Integrated credit card terminal and shipping software with eCommerce. Easy purchase order creation, being able to do so many different reports as well as creating them for each store and even broken down by register as well. A great customer service company. The customer service is very helpful and will walk you through any problem or situation.
ConsThere's only a couple, but most people don't mind yet I'm a little extra computer savvy so I don't like that I can not do our own inventory uploads. Also not being able to upload different pricing levels, and wish there was a way to add notes to inventory adjustments as well as download all the created variables for all customer data.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you have outgrown square, or really need a software that you can easily train your employees on Lightspeed is definitely a great choice. The customer service alone is great. They will help you with anything they can without charging you an arm and a leg to talk to them like other companies. If you write your own software then maybe you need something else, but if you need a great Small to Large Business POS software system Lightspeed is your choice. I think Lightspeed is the best choice for cost and features for this level software.
November 10, 2016
Nate D.
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, Unspecified
September 6, 2016

“Lightspeed Onsite and Lightspeed Cloud”

ProsThe functionality of the onsite product was excellent. I uncovered several small deficiencies and Lightspeed support was very attentive to help me develop workarounds. I now use the Lightspeed Cloud retail solution. Support is also excellent for the cloud software. The software is easy to use and intuitive.
ConsThe cloud solution is more affordable but lacks in some of the functionality of the Onsite software. Here are some big ticket items that need to be addressed in future upgrades: you cannot customize product labels. This means if you want to put a UPC code in place of the proprietary p-code you cannot. Information exchange is limited for vendors from the onsite version. In Onsite, I was able to use excel files (.csv or .txt) to add new products or update pricing. This was a very effective tool that has been removed from the cloud iteration. Lightspeed assisted with the initial product download but all new items must be entered individually. There are major problems with the Ipad software linking with the recommended Bluetooth barcode scanner. This is a borderline disastrous situation. The scanner that is recommended from Socketmobile costs over $200. However, it regularly loses contact with the iPad. The only solution is to keep the iPad "awake" at all times or to close and reopen the program every time you want to make a sale. Neither Lightspeed or Socketmobile have a satisfactory solution.
Recommendations to other buyersThe software must be specific to the needs of your retail situation. I used Onsite for a larger retail solution and the cloud software for a small home business.
September 6, 2016
John W.
September 13, 2019

“Lightspeed Retail POS”

OverallWith Lightspeed's eCom we found the solution we were searching for. Real time updates and the ease to upload inventory is just amazing. We also needed an interface with Quickbooks accounting software. With the Quickbooks interface, we reduced daily accounting hours by almost 60%!
ProsI like the flexibility of the POS software. As the General Manager and the one who chose the software, I was often contacted by an employee that needed help. As a cloud based software, I can log in with my Ipad, Laptop, or my phone to help them. Their 24/7 helpline is amazing...Other software companies, especially those on the east coast that aren't 24/7 are a real pain to deal with on the west coast.
ConsMy only wish is that Lightspeed had a "Trade-In" tab to make trade-ins easier.
September 13, 2019
Marc F.
COO
Arts and Crafts, 11-50 employees
August 14, 2019

“Lightspeed has been a lifesaver”

OverallLightspeed has saved me hours of time by integrating multiple systems. I really swear by this product! It has helped me grow my business.
ProsIts ease of use is probably the number one factor, but it is followed by the live inventory on the internet. The program is continuously evolving and improving and the staff has been great!
ConsThe only real draw back I see is that there is no offline function.
August 14, 2019
Facilities Services, 1-10 employees
December 28, 2018

“A Consultant's Story:”

ProsA former client of mine called and asked if I wanted to help implement a new cloud-based Retail system called Lightspeed. I thought to myself that "new" and "cloud-based" meant "limited functionality" and "slow-response". Boy, was I wrong - Lightspeed is Light-Years ahead of where I thought it would be! The Business functionality is superb. It covers a wide-range of business types and has many options. It is even "expandable" when it comes to storing extra data which pertains just to your business. It is simple for the small user and powerful for a large company. The "Service before the Sale" is GREAT! They guide you through just what you need. The "Ongoing Support" is a breath of fresh air! Each of my "logged cases" has been addressed in a timely manner (typically on the same call) and the answers were spot on. I've also found that the technology the system is based on is sound, secure and dependable. As a 42+ year veteran of the computing industry, I can say that Lightspeed "got it right" "right out of the stargate"... I am sold on Lightspeed! So much so that it is now a mainstay in my recommendations to clients who are seeking to "improve operations and automate processes". Respectfully, Mark, Owner of Central Operations (We run your computer systems for you so you can run your business!)
ConsThe expression of "having all your eggs in one basket" comes to mind. You must properly design your network so you have a fallback option (such as a cellular data connection) in case of network outages.
December 28, 2018
Mary F.
Chief of Operations
September 28, 2018

“Excellent and reliable ”

OverallLightspeed is a robust software solution for our store and e-commerce business. We opened our store in June 2017 and added the e-commerce solution to our website 4 months later. Lightspeed has provided excellent on-going technical support and training. We are able to run our business with all the tools we need, and have not had to "make something" work. It makes us look like we've been in business for over 10 years, and not the under 2 years that we have been.
ProsLightspeed has been easy to use from the beginning. (We opened our store June 2017) Adding, modifying or removing merchandise, vendors and pricing is quick and easy. I like that I can see the margin and profit at a glance, as well as more comprehensive data necessary for bookkeeping, etc. I track employee hours and can monitor their clocking in and out. We have been able to make it industry specific to include work orders, and per hour labor charges.
ConsWhen we opened our store last year, we were allotted only 3 employee logins in addition to one for myself and my husband. When we added just one more employee, we had to pay as much as adding 5 more employees or adding a "new register location".
September 28, 2018
T-Ann C.
Bookstore Director
June 7, 2018

“User friendly, intuitive and great for small businesses”

OverallCustomer support is great! They go above and beyond to try and help with any issues. I am super glad that in my search for a POS system that I chose Lightspeed!
ProsVariety of different aspects pertaining to the needs of my business: POS, reports, inventory management and control, being able to print labels, being able to track all of my activity...
Cons1. I wish that I were able to customize it a little more and that what I customize would be searchable. 2. I also would like it if the ISBN numbers would show up on the screen which lists the items I have for order on a particular PO. 3. When email a purchases order it would be helpful if, on that screen from which I hit send email, it would immediately show somewhere on the screen that the order was emailed. Sometimes I get interrupted and when I come back I can't tell if I have actually hit "send email" or not. 4. An option to have a button that would pop open the register from any screen would also be helpful. I say "option" because I realize some companies would not feel safe having it be that easy to open the cash drawer. It would be helpful for us, however.
June 7, 2018
Shelly B.
August 20, 2016

“Can't imagine a better experiance”

ProsFrom my first call 8 months ago every person I have spoken with has been so helpful. This may sound like an over exaggeration, but it's the honest truth. From Jason in sales to Jared as my account handler, every one has listened and helped me with a happy attitude and friendly sense of humor. Calls are answered in a timely manner and you never get the "run around" Every person knows what they are doing. I have never worked with a company so well trained and with employees that talk over the phone with a smile on their face!
ConsOn my last phone call to Lightspeed, I was thinking it would be nice to have one point of contact who knew my account...and me because I was calling with a concern about a partner company they work with. I wanted someone who knows me and knows I don't complain. Well Jared (The young man (yes I swear they are all young!)was he. You see, I have taken much longer opening than I though I would and just hadn't gotten to that point yet. So with that said, so far I haven't found anything I don't like. I am looking forward to working with Jared who not only validated my concern, but helped me with another company and my issue was handled by the end of the day.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are someone who is timid with new technology, don't be while working with Lightspeed. Never has anyone made me feel like I have been inferior or even stupid (and I called for help when all I needed to do was plug in a device but was too chicken to do it without someone there to help me. The young man who helped me understood and walked me through the process with out ever sounding condescending.) During my onboarding call there was a young lady who was in tech support training on the call and she assured me they like it when customers call and ask for help; it's their job to be there for us.
August 20, 2016
Gisela H.
September 30, 2019

“Online store for anybody”

OverallAmazing! 10/10
ProsWe use the e-com and it's great. It's affordable, very easy and accessible to anybody. The themes are versatile and we can change lay outs at anytime. Our plan allows us to publish in 3 languages, and it's very easy the set up. Integration with SEO makes our work more efficient as well. We used the support team several times during the set up, and every time they were very supportive. 10/10
ConsNothing really. I did have a free trial period with a leading competition company, and Lightspeed is much easier the set up.
September 30, 2019
BRENDA D.
OWNER
August 5, 2019

“GLAD WITH OUR CHOICE”

OverallWe solved our inventory issues with this new system. We were also able to sync our eCommerce site with this system.
ProsThe team made this transition from our old system a breeze. They normally state 10-14 days, but it took 2-3 days for the information to be transferred over and set up. We were also able to be included on the new Loyalty system and we transferred our existing customers to this system as well. The new system was very user friendly, our employees are now able to make sales and quote customers. We also were able to install another app to have real time inventory reduced from our eCommerce site.
ConsI wish that we could have employee scheduling integrated in the system.
August 5, 2019
Assad K.
Franchise Owner
Restaurants, 201-500 employees
March 22, 2019

“How Lightspeed will help improve your business.”

OverallIt's been great, I recommend others to use it. I haven't looked back. No system is perfect but what sets Lightspeed apart is the willingness of the company to gather feedback and look to continuously improve their product.
Pros With Lightspeed each and every order is entered with 100% accuracy, so you don't have to worry about wrong items or amounts being entered. And with their integrated system you can manage your inventory, and analyze your sales patterns. All because Lightspeed gives you sophisticated and detailed sales reports at your fingertips all while saving time and money and reducing costs. This will not only improve efficiencies but your sales will help you come up with better competitive ideas in your business.
ConsTheir website didn't have video tutorials on how to use their software on the more advanced stuff, but after communicating with tech support within a few minutes I was able to understand and master the interface.
March 22, 2019