On-Screen Takeoff Ratings

Overall
4.4/5
4.3/5
4.4/5

About On-Screen Takeoff

On Center Software's On-Screen Takeoff (OST) solution effectively scales to support small construction businesses to large construction enterprises. The takeoff is the visualization of what has been defined as the project's scope. The digital takeoff is the job's benchmark for estimating. With OST, contractors view electronic plans from anywhere office and/or field. From plan viewing and quantity measurements, through project management, it all starts with OST. If it's colored, it's counted! Learn more about On-Screen Takeoff

Jeffrey E.
CEO/Chief Estimator

“Be Here Now”

OverallI've recommended this company many times, advised two companies in the last two years, including the one I currently work with, to buy the software because it's simply the best value I know of. And one REALLY important thing; Their SERVICE in superb. Full stop. I see lots and lots of major changes still ahead for this industry of estimating, and software will lead in that new complexity/simplicity. More to understand, more to buy, more to manage. Having a 'let's get this fixed now' tech team, along with a friendly 'no such thing as a stupid question' mandate, if all OCS keeps doing is being the best at SERVICE, they will always have my business .
ProsWhen using both OST and QuickBids together there is a synergy that not only allows you to 'standardize' your pricing, but also build unlimited 'conditions' using those standard conditions, or from scratch. As an independent can manage clients in completely different databases if that level of separation is required. Yesterday a client gave me some feedback-just a little too high. Well, I have 4 other floors ready to submit for the next phase. I just go into 'markups', a little wiggle, a jiggle, and I have my pricing in line to vigorously compete in the next round. Total time, including new reports, 1 hour. Every single condition, adjusted for the new pricing (not just some lump sum discount, that's just lazy) and re-sent in a lunch hour. Nice... Alternates and change orders are even faster.
ConsReports stinks. Sorry, I call 'em like I see 'em. It's a bit better, more choices for printing and a 'master list' of available functions, but STILL, the actual graphics are completely terrible! No headings, no subheadings, just all one font, all one size, all run together with random page breaks. It takes me a lot of time, hours for big projects, to go through it all and make it legible. A little bird says it's in the works, I have the champaign chilled to celebrate when it's available in an update because it's probably the only thing that still irks me. Also, fix the output PDF distiller!!!
Klaus L.
Project Estimator
May 8, 2018

“Great Takeoff Software”

OverallGreat software if you need to do professional quantity takeoffs
ProsThis product offers you a lot of options to structure your takeoff: - Conditions: This is the main structure to organize your takeoff. Fully customizable, conditions can be used as a CSI-Code structure. - Layers: Similar to CAD-Software, you can create layers (even as Master layers which will be available for all projects) and assign a layer to each takeoff. Turning layers on/off helps you to work with multiple takeoffs on one drawing. - Zones: Creating zones (and organize them on a separate layer) helps to split your takeoff according to the zones - fully automated! - Takeoffs: Each takeoff can have up to three different quantities - whatever you need. Takeoff description: each takeoff (condition) has a name as well as a field for notes where you can put a full description of your item. - Multi-takeoff: This is an outstanding feature, saving a lot of time: mark several conditions (takeoff-items) and do your takeoff: the takeoff will be done for each of the simultaneously! - Second window: the program allows you to open a second window, to have another drawing (details etc.) open while you work on your first drawing. - Overlay: changes in drawings can made visible by using the new drawing as an overlay on top of the old drawing: you will automatically see, what changed. There are much more pros and features available than any other takeoff software. This is the great thing about a software that is a takeoff software and nothing else: the software does not pretend to be an estimating software and by focusing on takeoff, the software does a great job. Online descriptions are available for almost every issue you might run in.
ConsThe software is missing only one feature: to assign a different condition to a specific takeoff is not available (up to now).
May 8, 2018
Mark D.
December 19, 2017

“The best takeoff software I've used, albeit a little pricey.”

OverallFast reliable estimates
ProsIt's fast and easy to use once it's setup. Does most things well. For most estimators, this is the software you want. If you have the funds, it's worth getting On-Screen Takeoff & QuickBid together. When you start to delve into it's various features you really see some great ways to save time. E.g. Typical Areas, Style Sets, Layers, Copying Bids, etc. I'd highly advise setting up one or more Template bids and copying the relevant one every time you have a new bid to do. Saves a ton of time. I'd highly recommend this software.
ConsThere are some features it could have which would make it better. E.g. Auto-Page labeling, automatic page links, etc. Database has issues from time to time. E.g. It disconnects from it's sister software QuickBid - which can cause problems. But that's not too often and possibly related to my computer? On it's own it's just OK, but with QuickBid it's really great. Quickbid is a separate purchase. The price would be the biggest issue I see with this software. It's quite expensive. Kind of precludes smaller businesses from buying it. Which is unfortunate, since it's possibly the best takeoff software out there. I could have bought a small family car for the price of the two licenses I purchased for my business (that was along with sister software QuickBid)
December 19, 2017
Tamera H.
Sr. Preconstruction Manager
August 20, 2018

“Preferred over Plan Swift”

OverallI work in multi-family construction and need to be able to do quick conceptual estimates and the later detailed estimates that require more takeoff. I've been using OST for the takeoff for the last 11 years. I love it.
ProsOST is easy to get up and running. It's intuitive and user friendly. I was recently introduced to PlanSwift - a competitor to OST and it was overly complicated. It was hard to figure out how to go in and just take the SF of a room. With OST it's a breeze to take a simple measurement or do more extensive takeoff without needing an owners manual or even a tutorial.
ConsIs the difficulty in naming sheets that are imported in. It's cumbersome and time consuming. It also makes it hard to relink to a different folder location. The high cost for a single license is prohibitive to the freelance estimator and forces us to use alternative programs that aren't as efficient. I wish there was a way to make it cheaper for sole proprietorship businesses in the construction industry.
Kellie O.
Building Materials, 1-10 employees
December 7, 2016

“It may have it's weaknesses, but overall it's great!”

OverallI began using On-Screen On-Center Take-off is Feb. 2016. Overall the program is great. Its fairly simple to import and manage drawings, create conditions, and quantify areas. I am sure there are many features which I fail to use to their potential, but learning to make the system work of me and the types of take-offs I perform was quick. There is very little learning curve, and if you have any questions their Customer Support Tools are incredible. I enter a question and typically receive a call from a person within hours. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. The program has its weaknesses. One huge weakness is it's tolerance. When using the measure tool the tolerance is to the nearest inch. There is no way to adjust this, which can mean rejection of material and a lot of jobsite labor in our particular field (Stone). Also, exporting to excel could be clearer, but overall it's pretty helpful.
ProsAbility to create various types of conditions, in various types of materials, in various areas, and being able to calculate various types of information from one condition (sq. of one side & top & total lf, Average tile count & overall sf, etc.). Ability to import various file types, PDF, AutoCAD, etc. Ability to export to Excel. Ability to label conditions & include conditions legends, creating a helpful Take-off maps for bids.
ConsInability to tighten tolerances. Inability to label linear conditions. Inability to increase the size of the font on condition labels. Excel Export could be much cleaner. Inabiliy to create non-grid tile layouts.
Recommendations to other buyersThis product is wonderful, but try it first to make sure it's capable of performing for your specific needs. I could see certain features being very helpful, while others being very limiting.
December 7, 2016
Ryan S.
Construction Estimator
Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees
August 14, 2018

“Custom Home Builder Review”

OverallI love OST it can be used in so many different ways it's my favorite program for manipulating just about any type of file.
ProsOST is flexable software, meaning it can be manipulated to conform to any/every trade. It is an amazing tool that makes any estimators take-off portion of the job quick and easy.
ConsThere is not much I do not like about OST, but... - some times I could more color selections differentiation for take-off conditions - Also it would be nice if i could freeze dimension takeoffs to either only move vertically or latterally respectively. - Also if dimensions could be a default layer separate from annotation that would be awesome. Sometimes i want to have annotations but do not need the dimensions and i have to delete all the dimensions on the page to only show the annotation that i want.
Chris B.
Estimating
Warehousing, 1-10 employees
August 17, 2018

“On Screen Takeoff the Equilizer”

OverallThe On Screen Takeoff program along with the support provided by On Center is a great combo for anyone looking to standardize and get better control of their takeoff and bids. My experience has been nothing but the best from Training, to implementation, and support throughout the past few years.
ProsAllows me to constantly and quickly take off plans that used to take all day to provide.
ConsThe software has been awesome for me in many ways but I wish it was more report friendly for people who are working outside of the standard databases and reporting schemes. I had to build my database from the ground up and how we export and report that information isn't typical for OST. Trying to build custom reports and exports has been challenging but On Center support was always there to help or at least let me know that I have hit a dead end.
Tim C.
June 7, 2017

“Satisfied Customer”

OverallI've used OST for 10 years and overall satisfied. I think for the annual service fee, there should be more upgrades than once every 2 years or so. We have used tech support maybe once a year if that and the owner of the business doesn't think that justifies the annual cost.
ProsIt's easy and quick to use and easy to train others. I like and use the overlay function a lot. I also like the intelligent paste function as well for repetitious items.
ConsOnly 1 overlay possible, needs ability to remove the original plan and add an additional overlay as plans change (i.e.,80% dwgs to 90% dwgs to final dwgs. The 90% supersede the 80% and now we have final. A new bid file has to be created and the takeoff copied to the new file for adjustments) Database bogs down on very large projects Auto count feature doesn't work very well on scanned plans
June 7, 2017
Construction, 1001-5000 employees
July 31, 2019

“On Screen Review”

OverallOverall we have switched to a different measuring software, which offers many more features as On Screen. For the cost, there are better options. But if users are used to OST, it serves a good purpose, and does exactly what it says. It offers a simple, fast and organized takeoff software.
ProsOn Screen Takeoff is specifically designed for 2D takeoffs from PDF's. It has several options for Linear, Areas, and Counts. It offers many colors, line weights, grouping categories. It is an easy process to import files, save and categorize various measurement groups. Easy print out, and export features as well.
ConsOne is that you can only view and adjust 1 page at a time, although you can import multiple pages, you can only view and measure one page at a time. The design features are fairly limited.
July 31, 2019
Les L.
August 15, 2018

“The best takeoff I have ever used.”

OverallI have been using On-Screen Takeoff for about 16 years and I have always been impressed with the ease of use, support and the upgrades that have been made through the years. I can do a takeoff of a large commercial building in a fraction of the time it would take me to do it with a ruler or takeoff wheel and it is extremely more accurate. I am able to bid a lot more work with the On-Screen Takeoff program. Another benefit is you end up with a color-coded plan that you or someone else such as a project manger can look at and see what you did.
ProsIts easy to learn to use and if you get stuck on something the support staff are there to help and they have never laughed at my dumb questions.
ConsI don't know if there is anything I don't like about it, but I wish you could copy text or images from a plan sheet and past them into a word document.
Jaime M.
May 23, 2017

“As an estimator this program makes my life much easier. Can breakdown my estimate any way I want.”

OverallIt not possible to mention them all here. Better accuracy in our estimates. Greater flexibility with our estimates too. Can change conditions very easily if necessary. Our field personnel loves it too. Were able to print all of the plans from any project and breakdown the estimate by floor or zone or phase.
ProsThis program is great for our office and field personnel. Both can see the entire scope of work to be performed and know where each condition is to be applied on each floor of our jobs. Allows for better management of our labor hours and cost accounting too!
ConsThat I cannot download it on my iPhone! I have absolutely no complaints, I love, I use it everyday and I enjoy all of the features too! Just wish I could take it with me everywhere I went.
Joey L.
May 31, 2017

“Been using QB since 03 started using OST in 14, CAN NOT imagine going back to ole manual method!”

ProsIn OST it is possible to become very creative in how you make conditions, it allows you to build your take-offs in a manner that makes sense to you, and you are able to constantly refine and make adjustments to the way you do things, which allows for faster take-offs. And the progression just continues. Also the tech team that comes with the subscription cannot be beat, those people are the best software fix my stuff in a heartbeat group...period paragraph no more conversation about it!!!
ConsSometimes the General Exceptions box pops up and when it closes it resets some of my preferences, however its very simple to readjust and be moving again.
May 31, 2017
Shelby S.
June 5, 2017

“Using OST we are able to perform take offs much quicker than using a ruler or than digitize(ing). ”

OverallCan probably do triple the amount of estimating than before.
ProsEase of use and how easy it is to review work. Being able to assign different take offs to different area's makes breaking out bids for alternates very easy.
ConsI would like to be able to "crop" or cut all take offs to assign them into an area. For example, if the portion of a building becomes an alternate after the takeoff was performed. I would like to slice each take off to break out each area. Right now you can select multiple takeoffs and reassign but if you select say a wall that was one take off but you want it to be cut in half you have to delete it and redo the takeoff.
June 5, 2017
Jeff E.
July 25, 2019

“Used to be the bomb!”

OverallI used it regularly for more than 2 years and the company considered me a 'power user. Unfortunately, when I changed companies, I could not justify the pricing for the result it produced compared to other programs available now.
ProsI't fairly easy to learn and integrate. It's visual and it's fairly robust. If you also pay for QuickBids, it integrates well with that. The tech help service is outstanding.
ConsIt's limited on what it can do. It must convert a PDF file, with it's rich underset of information, to a TIF file, which is just an overlay. The reports are basic at best and there is no help with modifying those at all.
July 25, 2019
David C.
Sales-Estimating
October 8, 2019

“OST”

OverallGreat for drawing out and labeling details on a particular project. Makes it much easier than trying to scale and label drawings by hand.
ProsEase of use. Able to upload full architectural drawing sets for each project. It is easy to trace and label drawings to show each piece of the project. It makes it easier to work with the install of the project and show them each part of the job. ie: square footage, lengths, area, etc on each section of the drawing.
ConsYou cannot save individual pages out of a drawing set. Cannot just pull out one page and email it.
October 8, 2019
Lorna C.
October 29, 2018

“I love OnScreen”

OverallVery positive experience. It's made my life a whole lot easier. I can easily take off concrete, steel, MEP, etc., and it's a very organized program. It's like coloring for adults.
ProsThis software has made estimating so much more efficient, accurate, and easy. I learned to estimate by hand, and those days were so much harder than now. I can handle so many more trades and estimates alone that I would have been able to just a decade ago.
ConsThere needs to be more symbols available for our use such as Mechanical, Fire Suppression Piping, and Electrical symbols. That would be helpful.
October 29, 2018
Fady S.
Project Coordinator
Construction, 5001-10,000 employees
May 25, 2017

“Advanced, powerful software provides a plethora of features for construction project management.”

OverallThis is the fastest way that I know of to complete a takeoff. Once you have a good grasp of the user interface, it becomes second nature and takeoffs can be performed by anyone.
ProsAbility to accurately quantify count, area, volume, and more on drawings with a high degree of complexity. We use it to count washroom accessories, confirm tile flooring quantities, area of roof, and others when tendering the project. During construction, we use it to track progression and productivity rates.
ConsPrinting can be tedious / counterintuitive. Also, the software auto-saves progress, which is great unless you make a mistake...
May 25, 2017
Matthew M.
Project Coordinator
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees
February 6, 2018

“On Screen Take Off ”

OverallI would recommend this software to any estimator in the construction industry regardless of division of work. It cuts estimating time and costs by over half and the accuracy of take offs pay for the software in its self.
Prosthe program is user friendly and has a quick learning curve. Start up for the software is great and includes two days of training to meet your company needs. Uses vibrant colors and shapes to make take off easy and quick.
ConsI don't really have many cons for this program as the company actively updates its software to facilitate the users needs. If I had to pick a con it would be that you are forced to buy support annually if you would like to get any sort of help with the software once your subscription is up.
February 6, 2018
Gabriel L.
Project Manager & Estimator
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2018

“On-Screen Takeoff review Electrical”

OverallMy daily use of the software has made me appreciate the ease of use and reliability of the product. I can trust the software to provide me with accurate counts and footage for my electrical estimating.
ProsThe easy use of the software, plus any questions are easily linked to a video showing you your answer. If the answer is not available online, a simple phone call to great customer service will provide direction and resolution of any questions or problems.
ConsCurrently I have had no complaints with the software, it works great!
Cameron T.
Principal/Owner
August 4, 2018

“Great takeoff software, cost vs. quality”

ProsI love the simplicity of the features, the range of details and customization you can do with the software. Definitely like the export to Excel feature, where we can customize the look and functionality of the end product.
ConsCost is a major challenge for a lot of business software, especially as a startup company. I'm still looking for the functionality of On Screen but with a one-time purchase and something a bit more affordable to a brand new company with unstable revenue.
August 4, 2018
Christopher L.
May 23, 2017

“The On-Center Suite is very easy to use and versatile.”

OverallFast and accurate take-offs and estimates.
ProsThe take-off and estimating software is much simpler to use and faster than other software I have used. This allows me to bid more jobs while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
ConsThe shortfall of this software in my opinion is that it doesn't have a native accounting companion. Other software suites offer an accounting component built-in which is a great way to tie your whole company together. The export functions are not quite good enough to accomplish that.
Brian S.
Manager/Estimator
August 29, 2016

“On-Screen Takeoff for Estimators”

OverallI use it almost everyday of the week for all my 2D takeoff. Roadwork's paving, kerbing (curbing), stormwater, sewer and water reticulation takeoffs just to name a few. Very easy to use once you set up some basic library items. It also has the capability of downloading directly into my Estimating Software.
ProsEase of use - lengths, areas - or both at the same time.
ConsNeeds a better custom scale box - the one it has is "clunky".
Recommendations to other buyersPlay with it a lot and make it do the work for you - don't let it control how you do your takeoffs.
August 29, 2016
Jeff S.
September 18, 2017

“Accurate and easy to use”

OverallThe ability to quickly and accurately develop complete estimates for our clients.
ProsThe accuracy and ease of use to get started has been great and then once you get into it you realize that there is so much more to the program and that you are only scratching the surface of what the software can do.
ConsThe feeling that if I only had more time to commit to explore the software I would be able to do so much more with it.
September 18, 2017
Angelo C.
Director of Construction
May 23, 2017

“Great program; been using it since 2003 and convinced the current company I work for to implement.”

ProsI like being able to organize areas and zones as well as share takeoff packages with associates who estimate different divisions.
ConsI HATE having to rename pages one at a time that are combined; your competition has this feature that does it automatically (and its much cheaper)-you guys should have had this a long time ago. If this feature does exist in OST; please contact me to cure my stupidity.
Luke P.
April 28, 2017

“Best takeoff software on the market today”

OverallBefore buying I compared this, E-Takeoff, Planswift, and Bluebeam takeoffs. This was hands down the best option.
ProsEasy and intuitive to use. Some examples are- same copy paste functions as every other windows program, bulk copy (multiple takeoffs), fast plan loading, and a user interface that flows nicely.
ConsSomewhat complicated to learn, the overall process makes sense, but you need to follow the steps to the letter.
April 28, 2017
Brandon F.
Commercial Real Estate, 10,001+ employees
January 26, 2017

“An Easy to Use Takeoff Software”

OverallI have been using On-Screen Takeoff for several years now and I really enjoy using it. It is easy to set up conditions and perform the takeoff. I enjoy that you can break your takeoff out by areas and you can even create folders for the different areas of the takeoff. This works well for breaking out by CSI, or whichever WBS you may use. Also, OST can store data in Access databases that can be set to backup on a schedule. I personally like how quickly I can bring my drawings into the software and how quickly they load once in the program. Overall I have been using OST for several years now and I would recommend it to the construction professional.
ProsEase of use Ability to create libraries of commonly used conditions Customer support Fast Loading Ability to transfer data to other estimating software Ability to export to excel Ability to share entire takeoff file with other professionals
ConsCannot currently import an excel document with conditions to create a library Cannot trace drawing lines automatically
Recommendations to other buyersAfter using a few different types of takeoff software, On-Screen Takeoff is the premier choice. Its ease of use combined with top-notch reliability and customer service ensures we can do our job with the confidence a cost estimator demands.
January 26, 2017
January 23, 2019

“Best Take off software I have ever used”

OverallSpeed, performance & accuracy
ProsIt takes just as I need it and whenever I want to push it further I find it already does what I want it to. the updates are often and always work.
ConsIf I were looking for a CON really hard I would have to say the only thing that fails this software is look. the user interface is dated and could use some bringing into the modern age
January 23, 2019
Jeff L.
Construction, 501-1000 employees

“Great software”

OverallAble to take off content with easy and speed. Love it.
ProsVery intuitive. Customer support is top notch. Features are helpful. Love the areas sort.
ConsText editing is bulky. Image legend is good but it is sorted under the group setting in what appears to be a random sort. Toggling between files and image takes too long i think (could be internal sever related).
eric s.
Preconstruction Director
August 14, 2018

“Best takeoff option available”

OverallVery good, I've been using it at various companies since 2007 and have no interest in any other option so long as it works so well.
ProsVery easy to learn and use, K.I.S.S. Quick to use Doesn't require too much computer power
ConsPrinting to PDF using conventional bluebeam and/or adobe drivers doesn't work very well and we needed to buy an after market print driver to circumvent this issue.
Kristen S.
January 17, 2018

“Great Estimating Program!”

OverallKeep up the good work On Screen! I would like to see more added features and additional updates more than just once or twice a year.
ProsThis program is also... easy to learn, easy to use, easy to train on! All that you need to complete accurate takeoffs for bidding is available in one software package! Purchase this product, you will not be disappointed! Intelligent paste function is awesome and great to use for repetitive items.
ConsI would more colors to differentiate areas when I am doing take offs and more overlays should be possible. There are always so many plans and revisions and only allowing one overlay makes it difficult at times to provide an accurate takeoff without doing the work twice.
January 17, 2018
carlos v.
Construction, 501-1000 employees
September 10, 2019

“Best Take-off program ever”

OverallMy overall experience with OST has been great. Everything from the time of sales, to the implantation of the software, to the daily use and continuing customer support. Very friendly staff and extremely knowledgeable.
ProsI love the overall ease of use. It is very intuitive and user friendly. Specifically, i love the ability to build and archive conditions or assemblies for repetitive use. The more you use this software the better it becomes for you.
ConsThere is a learning curve. At first, the rich and abundant features can be cumbersome to learn; especially if you don't use all of the features. I do have to say that the training for the software is great and the customer support is second to none.
September 10, 2019
David B.
November 20, 2018

“Outdated”

ProsOnScreen Takeoff Typical Groups works well - I don't know any other software that has this function. Very helpful for apartment takeoffs.
ConsSoftware has become outdated. OnCenter is very slow to respond to problems with their software. Several problems discussed with their technical department are known, but they state that in their opinion these issues, some of which can actually result in incorrect bids, are not critical enough to warrant repair. I suggest being extremely careful when using OnScreen and QuickBid interactively. Note that Windows 10 has more issues that older versions of Windows - Oncenter is not keeping up. DON'T GET A NEW COMUTER! OnCenter is not keeping up with innovation that other software companies. Adding notes is cumbersome - in OnScreen they get in the way of doing takeoffs. In QuickBid they easily become buried in the bid and get missed. Adding drawing numbers and names function in OnScreen Takeoff does not work well. Revising drawings to TIFF is outdated. Programs do not work well interactively and also bog down on large bids.
November 20, 2018
Lindsey S.
Assistant Project Manager
July 26, 2018

“Great for Estimators ”

ProsThis program is great paired with on screen takeoff. The two programs can be linked together to keep track of your bids. Your materials, labor, etc. all can be tracked within this program.
ConsThere are a lot of functions in this program and it can be extremely confusing if you do not take the time to learn it properly.
July 26, 2018
Patricia K.
June 9, 2017

“Very powerful estimating tool”

ProsEasy to use, easy to copy conditions from one project to another, very user friendly. The software features a lot of different options mark up and bubble changes, type in comments, and, of course, color code take offs.
ConsCreating overlays can be difficult, it would be great to have more color options and an easier way to scale and align two plans.
June 9, 2017
Construction, 1001-5000 employees
August 13, 2019

“A standard in the Construction industry”

OverallOverall good experience. Construction companies typically have to use different pieces of software that do similar things when working with joint ventures and contractors, but OST is one of the most used pieces of estimating software. From an administrative side, the licensing system is a little clunky if you are hosting your own license server. This is not uncommon though.
ProsMany useful features, Quick and accurate general estimating tools, Good support.
ConsIt takes some "use time" to get a hang of all the features and functions OST comes with.
August 13, 2019
Mitchell B.
Construction, Self-employed
May 23, 2017

“my experience is that this helps me do a more accurate takeoff ”

OverallIt takes the place of me having to have an estimator. The support is very helpful.
Prosthe flexability of being able to copy pages and do different things that helps me be able to look at different pricing
ConsWhen taking off walls I build my assemblies in notes. I would like to see this to be able to go into quick bid and my assembly be there.
Quinn K.
Estimator/Project Manager
December 10, 2018

“Great for large Jobs”

Overallat first i did not stick to a specific process and my take-off got messy and difficult for others to understand. Once i figured out a system, I stuck to it and the results were clear. My take-offs are clean and easy to understand. My production has more than doubled and the results are better.
ProsThe organization of the take-off items is great. Easy to export the results and easy to use...once you have learned the software. As long as i stick to my workflow i created i do not have any problems.
ConsIf you get off you order of operations or workflow...it can get a bit messy. Use the layers and stick to a color scheme that fits the jobs. figure it out and be consistent with it and it will work amazing.
December 10, 2018
Brandon B.

“Review of OST”

OverallExcellent tool for accurate compilation of quantities from pdf's. I highly recommend this to high volume estimators such as myself!
ProsEase of Use, Speed and Accuracy for Estimating Purposes
ConsUpdates and changes from previous versions of the software I've used took a little bit for me to get used to.
Jay R.

“Estimating with OST ”

OverallOverall, my experience with OST has been great. We are able to get through take-offs quickly.
ProsWhat I like most about OST is how easily one can load plans and keep track of all jobs.
ConsWhat I like least about OST is that you can't modify a take-off until you remove the attachments.
Erica P.

“OST is very helpful!!”

ProsI honestly could not be as productive working as a metal framing & GWB subcontractor without this software! The ease of use and saving capabilities is very helpful in projects we bid & manage.
ConsNot very many cons at all, possibly just leaning to use it takes a bit of time.
Tony N.

“On Screen take off”

OverallWe used it for several years until we upgraded to Oasis. Works pretty well.
ProsI liked it, but really like the upgraded oasis version. Faster than doing take off by hand, easy to organize.
ConsCan't have two or more people working on the same takeoff (building the same data file) at the same time.
Chase G.
IT Director
April 30, 2018

“On Center's On-Screen Takeoff software has equipped our PM team with the appropriate tools needed.”

ProsOn Center's On-Screen take off is built to be easily set up in a team environment. Giving the tools to effectively execute a take off to qualify a bid, they also provide learning resources online.
ConsOn Center's On-Screen take off is capable of a lot, however the one set back we have seen in our office is that when exchanging keys (which are needed to be able to save changes and can only be used by one device at a time) we realized that On-Screen disables any use when remotely accessing your device. This makes it very difficult as an IT Professional when trying to remotely correct software/user issues.
April 30, 2018
Ray G.
May 23, 2017

“Very positive experience with the program and support”

Prosmenu driven and easy to follow. Every time I have a problem and call support I get a good response and the problems solved.
Consarc feature when doing areas. The program does not support arc creation by pinpointing the arc intersects when doing area, we have to plot points along the circumference.
ANGELA M.
Admin Assistant
September 5, 2019

“Data overload”

OverallI use this product because it's the product of choice within my company, however, I prefer to print the blank take off form and fill it in manually because there is just so much data on the program.
ProsThis is the software of choice by our Project Managers & Estimators it is very thorough and holds a lot of data. It gives the bottom line as well as a detailed breakdown of costs.
ConsI feel like there is data overload with this program. It has the options to input so much data it's almost overkill. It becomes a bit overwhelming when looking through all the info and the "extra" info takes longer to perform the take off on a project.
September 5, 2019
Don C.

“On Screen Review”

OverallI use On Screen every day performing concrete estimating. On Screen allows me to move swiftly through my take offs saving valuable time.
ProsThat you can dump directly into a spreadsheet
Consneeds to be a little easier to simply write words or notes on the drawings.
Chris S.
Owner/ Estimator
August 14, 2018

“Can't work with out it.”

Overallseeing is believing.
ProsSimple and intuitive. quick and accurate pricing in QB.
ConsNeed the be able to order material through quick (send PO) and track inventory. Quick books integration for job costing. Hot link within a hotlink. scale function in 2nd window.
November 13, 2017

“Good quality and easy to use.”

ProsMost of my customers use this. Which allows me to export the OSP file and send to them to review. Easy to export and categorize areas.
ConsCan't have multiple people log in to the software at one time to have a compiled take off. So after a project is complete with multiple people working on it. I need to compile all of the files into one OSP file.

By On Center Software on November 15, 2017
Thank you for your feedback. We are proud to have customers like you as part of the On Center family. If you are looking for a way to have multiple people login and compile a takeoff, you should look at Oasis Takeoff to see if it might fit you needs. Oasis Takeoff allows for "team estimating" inside the same project.
November 13, 2017
Gabrielle L.
Vice President
May 23, 2017

“Our full office functions on OST and we enjoy it thoroughly!”

Overalleasy take offs
ProsWe like most that it is pretty user-friendly and easy to train on. The Customer Support has been amazing every time we've called.
ConsConversions can at times be slow and renaming pages is very difficult compared to other products we have used.
Craig I.
Preconstruction Manager

“Great Takeoff Software”

OverallI have used it off and on for 14 years and still recommend it
ProsSpeed, accuracy, adaptability, and real time integration with Quick Bid
ConsSomewhat dated user interface. Oasis does not integrate with Quick Bid in real time

“Ideas going forward”

OverallSupport is outstanding and helpful. And learning a new system to bring into our business has been awesome for job understanding and reviewing especially back costing
ProsI like the changeable nature of the plan take offs. I can adjust quickly and return to understanding where I was up to quickly
ConsI believe it need to have a time measure on working on each project so it can be tracked