Altair Monarch Ratings

Overall

About Altair Monarch

Monarch is a desktop-based self-service data preparation solution that streamlines reporting and analytics processes. Its the fastest and easiest way to extract data from any source including turning unstructured data like PDFs and text files into rows and columns then clean, transform, blend and enrich that data in an interface free of coding and scripting. 14,000+ customers worldwide save time and money by empowering users to get the data they need in seconds rather than hours. Learn more about Altair Monarch

Brian J.
Controller
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees
August 30, 2019

“Monarch is integral to our day-to-day activity”

OverallI've been using Monarch for over seven years and I continue to find ways to use it to make my job easier. We use Monarch daily to quickly produce the information we need.
ProsI love the way that Monarch can flexibly capture huge amounts of data from various levels of a source file, allowing you to then present that information with formulas, filters and summaries. Monarch projects can also be seamlessly paired with Altair's Automator to produce the reports/data summaries automatically and distribute the files produced via e-mail to variable recipients. The customer service group is top notch (knowledgeable and pleasant)!
ConsWe've had problems working with 17M record ODBC sources, but most anything would. However, that issue may be more due our outdated (7 years behind current) ODBC version than Monarch. Otherwise, my only other complaint is that I didn't start using this software earlier in life!
chris l.
IS specialist
Translation and Localization, 10,001+ employees
March 26, 2018

“Great and powerful!”

OverallBenefits include time savings and automating tasks. Since Monarch can read and comprehend, it makes it the ideal software for automating bills, receipts, databases or even any type of data analysis/action items you may have. Be careful setting it up, but once you get your captures just right, the program can amaze. Speedy and reliable!
ProsEasy to use, powerful, options galore and there is a great help file! This program is excellent for automating mundane tasks and this software is able to read/understand data with precision. Program allows you to read files, excel, csv, etc and able to identify text, numbers and other characters. Want the program to look for a text specific field? No problem! Monarch lets you identify the type and length of expected lines/fields so you can automate with ease. Great for macro running!
ConsProgram only has a few minor negatives, such as size/resources. Otherwise, the program is pretty reliable. Sometimes you have to get a bit creative with the captures of data or try a few tricks such as looking for specific text/fields, but I find overall the program does the job well. There are a lot of variables with documents/spreadsheets so this program will help but you will need some patience :)
March 26, 2018
Tracy G.
Manager of Operations
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
July 24, 2017

“Monarch Complete turned a 5 year long project into a quarterly process.”

OverallSee my review...
ProsIt's so versatile. I use it to normalize data exported from various sources so that I can make apples to apples comparisons for reconciliation and identification. It's a tremendous help to me. My description above is speaking to the fact that my first use of Monarch Complete was to develop a process to create a data table of custodian cost basis data concatenating data from 20 separate proprietary text files into a single table so that I could compare it to the same data from our portfolio accounting system - to reconcile cost basis or our clients' eligible investment accounts. Incorporating Monarch Complete into my process, I reduced a manual process that took over 2 hours to complete down to about 10 minutes - and then I was able to use Excel to reconcile the cost basis and determine all out of balance issues and report them for resolution - thereby concluding my cost basis project. During the development stage in Monarch, I saved workspaces related to this process, which allows me to then duplicate the process, I just have to change the source file name and it's done.
ConsMistakes are not always reversible, as I have found out and I have spent countless hours learning this lesson. When you cannot recover from a mistake, you are forced to close the workspace without saving, so all changes you made since your last save are lost and you have to start over. Basically, if you are not very technically oriented, you may find it difficult to begin working with. But that's mostly a learning curve and thankfully Datawatch has a large community of users that can assist and their support staff are very knowledgeable as well.
Nicholas B.
Operations Analysis Officer
Banking, 501-1000 employees
August 30, 2019

“The Tool That Helps Me Looking Good”

OverallAs I mentioned before Monarch helps me to say "yes" to every request (almost) I receive regarding reporting. After 16 years of using it I can say that I am still learning new things by practicing and using it. My wish is that Altair/Datawatch will revisit/reorganize their training and support departments in order for us to get the services we want and deserve. Please create/provide more advance training similar to the one on July 25, 2019 in Boston.
ProsThe flexibility we have to access different files at the same time and produce a customized output.
ConsThe support and the "following up" after selling it. I am a "champion member" an I have been using Monarch for 16 years. I honestly believe that the app does not get the proper attention from Altair/Datawatch. Sorry to say this.
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
September 27, 2019

“Powerful Data Extraction Tool”

ProsIt is extremely powerful to extract data out of PDF files. The automator product works great to automate data extraction processes
ConsWe had a few issues with the installation and upgrade process. The installation instructions could be a little bit more detailed.
September 27, 2019
Al R.
President & Data Analyst
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
August 30, 2019

“Monarch Assessment & Value”

OverallAfter using the tool for over 15 years, I find some application for Monarch in my daily responsibilities involving data analytics and reporting and integration with Microsoft Excel
ProsEmpowers the business user and freedom of substantial IT support when doing data analytics; analyses of unstructured and varied data sources
ConsSomewhat elongated learning curve; costs per user
Yuliya L.
BOM coordinator
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501-1000 employees
September 6, 2018

“Time saver”

ProsI use Monarch on a daily basis. This software is a huge help for those who works with lots of data information stored in different formats that needs to be cleaned and re-formatted to tables. Saves a lot of time for me. My favorite function - sort and clean all extra noise from the original files that requires formatting.
ConsI'm comfortable with the way it works, did not find any issues.
September 6, 2018
Janet G.
VP, Business Intelligence
December 27, 2017

“I have a product that is fun and easy to use. I can get quick answers to important questions!”

ProsI can quickly join different types of data together. I am able to reproduce the data structure I want every day. I can create it and then reproduce the results on the fly. Support for the product is awesome!
ConsTraining is mostly eLearning through WebEx's and YouTube. Would like to have more in class training offered. Training needs to be more than one day.
December 27, 2017
Dirk S.
Investor Accountant III
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
July 27, 2017

“Powerful, Easy to Learn and Use”

OverallIncreased efficiencies and greater flexibility with data.
ProsThe ability to easily extract data and it also has many spreadsheet and database functionalities. Works very well with Excel and Access. Fantastic at extracting data from PDF files.
ConsExpensive, some processes could be streamlined or be made more user friendly, some performance issues.
July 27, 2017
Melissa F.
Solutions Analyst
Banking, 201-500 employees
August 1, 2017

“Monarch has been invaluable with extracting data from our mortgage servicing reports”

Overalleasy data extraction into excel, text, and pdf formats
ProsEase of use. When I first started, I was able to teach myself how Monarch worked and easily able to get answers for my one off questions through their discussion boards.
ConsMore knowledge around the mortgage industry reporting and how the data is presented and needs to be extracted. I had to find another user in our industry to get a lot of help with the reports.
August 1, 2017
Edward M.
Data Analyst
Banking, 51-200 employees
September 6, 2019

“Altair Monarch - Game changing data preparation software”

ProsThe ease of use of Monarch is amazing. Drag and drop data sets right into the software and you're off. Even if you've never used the product before, basic usage is very intuitive.
ConsAs with any software product, there is always room for improvement. Occasionally you will run into limitations with formatting or presentations. However, they do an excellent job of listening to the needs of their customers and each update often answers many of issues you struggle with.
September 6, 2019
Nathan P.
Data & ALM Officer
Banking, 501-1000 employees

“Good Value”

OverallWe were able to recoup our expenses from purchasing the system with the very first use case that we found. We took unstructured text from a .txt file and converted it to Excel, with quite a bit of manipulation being done from that point. Saved a ton of time, with great customer support helping out along the way.
ProsReasonably priced for the variety of capabilities that you get with the software.
ConsHas a learning curve, but great training and support to make that easier.
Leonid S.
Appdev Manager
Financial Services, 501-1000 employees
September 3, 2019

“Monarch Complete and Automator”

OverallUnstructured data from the statements and invoices is now part of our data processing. It provided the insight into the detail statistics and allows for the accruals and reconciliation.
ProsMonarch allows us to process data gets sent in PDF, non-tabular TXT, XML and Excel files. Its very flexible and user-friendly. After transformations are created, they are deployed on the Automator server where they run on schedule or being triggered.
ConsScripting is achieved via VBScript, which requires a learning curve for our team.
September 3, 2019
Real Estate, 11-50 employees
September 17, 2019

“Monarch is powerful and is the best value for our needs”

OverallWe primarily use it for extracting data from PDF's so we can import it into SQL.
ProsIt is the only product we have found in this price range that meets our need for PDF extraction. I am learning the REG EXP functions and they are very powerful.
ConsNo real drawbacks, but PDF's can be a real problem and on rare occasions I have to do extra paring in SQL.
September 17, 2019
Nancy P.
IT Data Consultant
Banking, Self-employed
December 20, 2017

“Been using for 25 years”

OverallEasy of developing information into usable data and I like the compare feature as well.
ProsThe newest version cuts out all the logic required to map data and is now automated. The new version also allows for easy database down loan of structured tables from the Internet.
ConsIt can get pretty complex, while not a con, can be more difficult to use for the the average person.
December 20, 2017
David O.
Operations Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Unspecified
2.5/5
March 20, 2015

“Transfer unformatted data into Excel”

ProsI like the ability to dump unformatted data into Excel. For me, this was especially useful with SAP reports that couldn't be exported to Excel cleanly. Also, I like having different models that automatically format reports depending on what I need to analyze.
ConsSome of the functionality isn't intuitive, like editing models.
Recommendations to other buyersGet training to steepen the learning curve. Unlike more intuitive products, training is beneficial.
March 20, 2015
Andrew T.
Business Analyst
Financial Services, Self-employed
September 25, 2019

“Monarch Pro”

OverallLooking for a more efficient way to extract data from numerous formats of data received from 3rd parties
ProsEase of use and cross-training other users, feature rich with lots of clever options, and the in-built audit trail (from control point of view)
ConsLack of OCR - the ability to also extract data from scanned documents would be powerful addition
September 25, 2019
Andre E.
Desktop Support
Mining & Metals, 5001-10,000 employees

“Just the tool needed”

Overallits a huge time saver
ProsIt saves SO much time on a lot of tasks that would normally take way more time to complete and does it pretty effectively.
ConsThere is a learning curve before you can use the product efficiently. Took some of our users a few months to get proficient.
Reba D.
Trade Spend Specialist
Food Production, 501-1000 employees
July 24, 2017

“I use this software to compile multiple documents into one spreadsheet.”

OverallIt used to take me hours to compile all my documents in to a format that was usable. Using Monarch has reduced the time spent per month dramatically.
ProsI love that this software allows me to save formats, so when I come back to a similar project in a couple of weeks, I don't have to re-format my new work.
ConsThe software can be confusing to use, especially at the beginning. Once you understand the way it works, it's okay, but initially learning how the software works can be challenging.
David C.
November 22, 2016

“Best Data mapping software”

OverallI've used Datawatch for about 5 years now and have yet to find a mapping need that it couldn't perform for what we do. Its very fast and is incredibly robust. You get what you pay for. It isn't cheap but it will do what you need it to do! Saves us a ton of time in daily work.
November 22, 2016