Open Dental Ratings

Overall
4.7/5
4.6/5

About Open Dental

A comprehensive solution for dental offices that is customizable to suit any practice size, efficient, effective, and user friendly. Includes a wide array of sensible features, unmatched technical support, extensive training resources, and a supportive online community of users. An experienced team of conversion specialists facilitate a smooth transition from nearly any other PMS. Made by a dentist with the goal of keeping practice management costs low and data control in the hands of the user. Learn more about Open Dental

Stanislav K.
Dentist/Owner
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
January 13, 2019

“My Server Crashed and Open Dental came to my rescue!!”

OverallSo, my physical server just crashed this past Tuesday the 1st of January 2019. The 2 of the 3 hard-drives on the server were corrupted, last one barely had accessible data. The other backup, the "Cloud" back up would not sync, there was an issue with the password that could not be recovered. I was dead in the water. I got on the phone with rep from Open Dental. This guy is top rate IT man, he knows the software, the code, etc. An emergency data recovery team was able to get rep a semi corrupted, semi correct version of my data and he put it all back together for the office. Rep and his team worked hard and now i'm back up and running. I could not have asked for better customer support. By the way, the only way Rep was able to allocate his resources towards my project was an OK from the CEO, so rep was literally on the phone with the CEO and who okay his staffs' time. So the company has an empathetic leader, who allowed the allocation of much of his resources to rebuild my database. I would have lost all my patient's data, the appointments, the amount the they paid me, the existing treatment plans, the previous work done, it would have just been a disaster for my business, literally starting over with nothing. public service announcement: just because you run back ups doesn't mean you shouldn't physically test them to make sure you have access to the data. Back to Open Dental, the CEO and IT team lead by rep and saved my business, I'm extremely grateful. Again, Open Dental is a top notch company with top notch staff!!!!
ProsAmazingly easy to use and constantly being updated with latest versions, you don't need to wait for a new full release, like some other dental software programs. Open dental techs just update your software with new features when they develop them. The software is free and the monthly IT fee is 110% worth it.
ConsIts really difficult to find any cons with a software that is personalized. If you do find an issue, the IT team calls you back withing 10mins and there is almost nothing that they can't work out for you by use of screen sharing etc.
January 13, 2019
Robert H.
February 8, 2017

“OUTSTANDING; SUPERB; FIRST RATE; TERRIFIC; NUMERO UNO. OPEN DENTAL IS THE BEST!!!”

OverallWe have been using Open Dental since 2009 and love the program. It is incredibly robust and does everything we need and more. Open Dental enabled us to become a paperless, chartless practice. Customer support is second to none. They are extremely attentive to their customers needs. Updates are continually being released, not just once every year or more. True story. I once called the customer support line. I reached their voice mail and since it was almost closing time I didn't bother to leave a message, I figured I would call back the next day. Well I'm sitting at my desk and the phone rings and I see it is area code 503. So I pick up and the person says, "This is Open Dental. How can we help you? I was blown away. I asked him how he know I called and he said he saw my number on their caller ID. Well, how many companies call you back even when you DIDN'T leave a message? That is how dedicated they are to customer satisfaction. Another time, I had a serious problem after a windows upgrade and couldn't get OD to work. They spent hours remotely working on my machine and escalated it to their top techies. And it was really a problem with Windows not Open Dental that caused the problem. No where else would you get that kind of service. I was so grateful for all their efforts I found a pizza place near them on the internet and ordered several pizzas and had them delivered. I don't know anybody who uses Open Dental who doesn't love the company and the software.
ProsExtremely customizable. You can create queries and get just about any information you want out of the database. You can be truly paperless and chart-less. It doesn't take long to learn the ins and outs. The software is constantly being improved. They take suggestions and advice from their users and try to implement what the users ask for. They even have a system where you can vote on feature that you and other users post, and the ones with the most votes get the top priority. It is not expensive.
ConsThe are growing so fast I worry that they will lose some of the feeling of being a small, intimate company. So far that hasn't been a problem.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are using another PMS and are not thrilled with it switch to O.D. You won't regret it.
February 8, 2017
Aubri J.
Office manager
August 28, 2019

“Dental Software for Real People”

ProsSo easy to use. Easy to learn. All questions can be answered with a simple google search. If not, you can call and the support team will call you right back with an answer. No spending hours on the phone on hold like with some other software companies.
ConsNothing, open dental is constantly improving their product.
August 28, 2019
xochitl l.
June 5, 2018

“Great dental software. ”

OverallYou can use this to set up your office in a digital format. From patient forms to monthly reports. It works well with other programs, too.
ProsIt's open source, which I love, therefore, I'm able to change, adjust and add forms, lab slips, charting and much more. Reports are easy and the selection is great. The interface is user friendly and quick to learn. The fees are minimal, if desired to have support, to free. The are certain programs that can be purchased or added for a fee, mobile view, e-claims etc.
ConsI don't like that only one section can be opened at a time. You can't have the patient chart and the schedule open at the same time.

By Open Dental Software on June 7, 2018
Thank you for the great review. Note that you mention that you can only open one section at a time. Some areas do allow this, but for the main windows that do not, simply open multiple instances. I always keep two instances open so that if I am about to check someone out, for instance, yet I want to work on another account or take incoming calls, I can do both at once! (Nathan, CEO Open Dental)
June 5, 2018
March 8, 2018

“Open Dental is an amazing piece of software, with excellent support and customization ”

OverallMuch, much less time on hold for support. Much less reason to even call support. This program is incredibly well made, and just works. It's super easy to install, and it integrates with pretty much all of the imaging software that's out there. Make no mistake - you can not go wrong with Open Dental.
ProsBeing that this is an open source program for dental practice management, there are a wide variety of plug-ins and customization that are out there. Also, the support is amazing. Many of our clients use Open Dental, and we support it in our business. When you call for support, they'll remember your name, and there's barely any hold-time when comparing to Schein or Patterson, which can have 30+ minutes of hold time at times. Open Dental has a lot of reports that you can run as well, and it's easier in comparison to some of the competitors. This is by far our favorite dental practice management software, and we use and support all of them. The cost is fair as well. This software has incredible value.
ConsThere's not much I don't like about this software, since it's so easy to install and to use. I would say the biggest con, is that when people are changing software to open dental, there's a bit of a steep learning curve. However, that's true of all dental practice management software.
March 8, 2018
Katelyn E.
December 7, 2016

“Easy software to use! Very clean layout!”

OverallTreatment plans are simple to explain to the patient with the tooth chart! Very easy to use! The first software I ever used while training to be an office manager! Our doctor loved the price of the software!
ProsVery easy to use! I had never worked in a dental office before and was trained to use Open Dental! Reports were very easy to get to for the Doctor!
ConsThe accounts were sometimes confusing to read, BUT the customer service was amazing to help us figure it all out!
Recommendations to other buyersIf you have any questions, call the customer service line! They were great to walk you through and help with anything they could!

By Open Dental Software on December 8, 2016
Thank you for your thoughtful review Katelyn. If anyone ever does have issues with our support, our management team, programmers and CEO (me) are available to be escalated to. -Nathan Sparks
December 7, 2016
A L.
Principal
December 6, 2014

“One of the best.”

OverallPro: Open Dental (OD) is one of best dental practice management software (DPMS) with a very affordable cost. One license fee for the whole office instead of the per module, per workstation licensing scheme for other software. Once the initial license fee is paid, additional payments is for updating, not to keep operating the software (some DPMS have an expiry date which forces the user to pay the license fee for another period to keep operating it). Imagine shutting down your office or transferring to another DPMS and having to pay the license fee for the span of years required by law to have the charts available in case of board inquiry or file transfer to another office. OD is updated frequently and has a feedback system to implement the most popular requests. The source code is available so if the company ever shuts down, the software will survive because other developers can assume development. It is also very robust and any glitches are quickly addressed in the next version. It doesn't need the most advanced hardware and can function relatively well will hardware that are 2-3 generations old. It doesn't need a full fledge server and can function in network peer to peer mode with Windows home (i.e. no domain) or in Server/client with different flavors of Windows server/Windows professional or ultimate (i.e. domain mode). Con: no turnkey installation unless one has a secondary service company in the area who is familiar with the software. Familiarity with computer system would ease installation greatly.
December 6, 2014
Lauren B.
office manager
January 30, 2017

“Open dental”

OverallI have enjoed the customization of this tool. The tech support has been better then I have experienced. My favorite aspect is that open dental is open source which makes it very flexible and robust in it's capacity.
ProsCustomization
ConsSo many functions I could use more training
Recommendations to other buyersFor those who wish to be in the cloud, I recommend this program with remote desktop.
January 30, 2017
Nancy F.
office manage
May 3, 2018

“First time Open Dental User”

OverallTheir support team is great! Always pleasant and very friendly. I have never felt like I was being rushed when I had a problem and needed their help.
ProsI like the fact that if I don't understand how to use a function, even after reading instructions in their help section, they have never once made me feel like a lesser person.
Consnot being tech savvy enough to follow the directions for help and end up having to call support for help
May 3, 2018
Katie R.
Virtual Administrative Consultant
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
April 11, 2019

“Would Never Recommend Anything Else! ”

OverallLove it, love it, love it!
ProsHonestly, can't say enough! Ease of use, accessibility to all features, ledger is simple/easy to understand, payment allocation is perfect, customization is amazing. Not one thing I DONT LIKE ABOUT!!
ConsI honestly can't think of one single thing I don't like about it. Especially since I'm at an office that uses Dentrix.
April 11, 2019
December 19, 2018

“Ease of patient care”

OverallOpen dental has helped keep positive patient experiences, and has helped with the flow of work. I was able to learn how to navigate this software in a week!
ProsThis software keeps patients information mostly in one location. It is easy to navigate compared to other dental software.
ConsIf you are using another software for patients to update their medical history, it does not sync well.
December 19, 2018
Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees
November 28, 2018

“Solid and easy to use!”

OverallHaven't had any problems and it runs smooth!
ProsIt's easy to find my way around. It integrates well w Dexis.
ConsW this last update there is a pop up that shows up when leaving a pts chart that is annoying.
November 28, 2018
Aubrey S.
Call Center Rep
Medical Practice, 201-500 employees
August 29, 2017

“So easy a child could use it”

OverallI came into the dental field knowing absolutely nothing about dentistry. Open dental makes it super easy to learn from and to navigate from task to task. We have other offices that use dentrix, and I can not stand trying to use that. Open dental is definitely the best for any dentist office.
ProsEverything is color coordinated. It's very easy to use that my 2 year old could figure it out. It's like connect the dots but for dental.
ConsSupport some times can be slow in responding to our needs when the systems go down, but it is very rare when this happens and when it does, I completely understand because they always end up fixing it within the 24-48 hour time frame.
August 29, 2017
Ashley T.
Credentialing Administrator
Medical Practice, 51-200 employees
December 6, 2017

“Open Dental software is amazing and EASY to use!! Love the software”

OverallI love this software and the customer support is friendly and well knowledged.
ProsEasy to navigate and use. The easiest software to learn for anyone in the dental field. I call Open Dental the "Software for Dummies"
December 6, 2017
hannah h.
Call Center Mananger
June 9, 2017

“Open Dental is highly Recommended ”

ProsOpen Dental is very easy to navigate. I have used other softwares Eaglesoft and Dentrix. Eaglesoft is very similar to Open Dental. Dentrix has a 1 Star rating compared to Open Dental. Open Dental has a up to date look and the features are non comparison to others. You would have to see for yourself. The ease of setting templates to your schedules, adding patients, viewing notes, creating reports, the list can go on and on.
ConsThis could be a server problem but we have a very large company and when connecting remotely from another location the system runs very slow.
June 9, 2017
Kandhappan P.
51-200 employees
August 5, 2016

“OpenDental is the best software out there”

Overall I have been using open dental for almost 12 years now and It comes across as the most configurable and customizable dental software.If someone couldn't figure out how to customise a flexible software could only be attributed to the lack of motivation or ability to put into good use, a strong workhorse
ProsYou name it -Once the modules are customised as per the Practices requirements then it is a breeze Has almost all the features any dentist could ask for and are upgrading on daily basis
ConsYes they have some features, which are in the process of being implemented through time
Recommendations to other buyersNo really,the 'feature request' allows us to submit the desired features .
August 5, 2016
Amber R.
Dentist/owner
November 9, 2017

“We love what OpenDental offers!”

OverallWe tell people to make the switch to OpenDental all the time!
ProsEverything-the support is awesome. The software is always adapting to what dentists need in ways that actually benefit them and the program isn't bloated with a bunch of "features" that aren't useful.
ConsI hate to complain because there's not too much to complain about... but we don't love that you can't edit the hours on the schedule to only start at 6 or 7 AM and end at 6 PM. Again... petty.
November 9, 2017
David R.
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
August 21, 2017

“Compared to the other major programs, OD is easy to use, inexpensive and takes very little computer power. ”

ProsEase of use. Almost anyone can use it with minimal training. Very intuitive and well laid out. Works on any computer.
August 21, 2017
Kayla L.
Admin
Medical Practice, 51-200 employees
August 14, 2019

“Open dental ”

ProsThe ease of navigating throughout the program.
ConsThe system does crash if internet service is lost.
August 14, 2019
Kathy F.
Front Desk Practice Coordinator
June 26, 2018

“Open dental is a good product ”

ProsEasy to use and understand. Easy to learn the functions. User friendly and color coded well. Easy to access all patient information with a few clicks.
ConsSlow at times, and can be glitchy. Some functions have too many steps to get to hat you need to do.
June 26, 2018
Frank P.
April 18, 2018

“Very intuitive software in which more options are being added upon new updates. More bangs for buck”

ProsPrompt customer services & technical supports. Very intuitive & regular updates in which more options being added.
ConsI wish more graphic interactive modules being added to better demonstrate in clinical mode. Intra communication tools enabled.
April 18, 2018
Jenny E.
Revenue Cyle Posting
June 8, 2017

“Easy to learn and use”

ProsAble to search multiple offices at one time Easy to learn the software Easy to find the areas of the patient chart that is needed
ConsOccasionally have issues with getting the appointment area open to find a patient account that is needed
June 8, 2017
ASHLEY H.
CALLCENTER COORDINATOR
November 21, 2017

“open dental”

OverallOpen Dental is a very well liked software by all of our employees. It is easy to use, especially when having to train.
Proseasy to use, very straight to the point, icons show you exactly what you are looking for, everything you need is at the click of a button
ConsThe only issue I have with this software, is that if you have multiple offices you have to look up a patient by each office. There is not 1 search place that will search a patient at all locations.
November 21, 2017
Pamela L.
September 19, 2019

“By far the best dental managment software”

ProsI love the intuitive nature and ease of use. I've used Dentrix before and it was so cumbersome
ConsI don't like how support charges you to call them.
September 19, 2019
May 8, 2018

“I love it, it's very easy to use”

ProsIt is a very complete software for any dental office. It is very easy to use, it helps you to organize your day to day in a very efficient way, I recommend it.
Consit becomes slow on some occasions, and technical support does not solve the problem quickly, usually takes one or two days
May 8, 2018
Dominic D.
Software Developer
51-200 employees
June 12, 2018

“Nice apps for dental clinic scheduling”

ProsThe tooth charting is very important feature that can be stored and also can import the dental x Ray then can full out any time
ConsI did like this apps because only a windows based i recommend to have web based for this that accessible by online users
June 12, 2018
Lee H.
Dental Consultant
Internet, 51-200 employees
March 7, 2018

“Easy to use with manageable reporting”

OverallMakes management of dental practice predictable.
ProsExtraction of data; patient profile is complete. Access is easy to control. Notes capabilities are great for documentation; would be nice if administrative notes were separate from clinical notes. X-rays integrated with the software.
ConsSome data not extracted in an easy to use format. Need more levels of access to give specific tasks to specific individuals. Use of prompts to complete data fields would be a nice enhancement.
March 7, 2018
Samina H.
February 13, 2017

“Great”

OverallI would recommend open dental to all. Very user friendly.
ConsI wish it was cloud based and we could accesss the information from any office.
February 13, 2017
Tori G.
fronst desk
April 24, 2019

“open dental review”

Prosthe software was very much like dentrix, easy to learn
Consyou can not customize and integrate other certain software.
April 24, 2019
kayla l.
Treatment Planner
Medical Practice, 201-500 employees
April 24, 2018

“Open dental is easy to use once you get a hang of it”

ProsI love that I can go to open dental website if I ever have any questions about the software or it's functions
ConsIt's not like any other dental softwares on the market. It functions completely different. But I would still recommend
April 24, 2018
Justin R.
Medical Practice, Unspecified
June 14, 2016

“Converting this week”

ProsFree demo conversion to let you experience the product side by side with your existing software. It runs on Linux so the performance is better and can be tweaked. Support is really helpful. The cost is really low and does not include charges for additional plugins or devices. It is all inclusive. Support drops to really low monthly after 12 months (you can even stop paying after 6 months if you feel like you do not need support any more). This is Open Source software, so all the benefits that come with open source are included.
ConsNo way to put the server in the cloud because the data is sent unencrypted. This is fine on a local network, but makes it impossible to host the server in the cloud (like Amazon).
Recommendations to other buyersHave them convert your database for free and try it out. Nothing to lose but a couple of hours with them on the phone.
June 14, 2016
Illya T.
Owner/Dentist
August 9, 2017

“Overall excellent experience.”

ProsEase of use is and ability for new staff to learn on is fantastic. The support is easily accessible and every issue has been resolved quickly.
ConsThere are some graphics that can be updated, but overall I have ad a great experience. I would and have recommended this product.
August 9, 2017
Kathy S.
November 28, 2016

“We love Open Dental”

OverallWe are a single dentist practice that converted in September. The conversion went smooth, the system is very user friendly. Anything that we can't figure out is easily and promptly answered by their support staff. Even on Saturdays and Holidays.
Prosvery user friendly yet has the capability to provide what we need.
ConsHave not run across anything yet!
Recommendations to other buyersWatch the training webinars in advance and allow a little downtime to get the software customized to what you want after the conversion.
November 28, 2016
evelyn r.
receptionist
October 3, 2018

“very convenient”

ProsThis software is very organized and very easy to use the features are so convenient for reminders on patients management
Constoo many features to choose from. its better to get trained to use all the features

By Open Dental Software on October 5, 2018
Thank you Evelyn! If you ever do have an issue, you can always escalate to management as needed. I appreciate your kind review. Nathan Sparks CEO Open Dental
October 3, 2018
Jennifer H.
June 7, 2017

“User Friendly Software”

OverallEasy to learn for someone who is new to general dentistry. I was able to quickly start using after working with only orthodontic software for 10 years.
ProsThe online tutorials and customer service so far have been excellent for learning this new software in our practice.
ConsThere isn't a lot of room for customization in the different letters. It can be tricky when the form letter isn't exactly what you need.
June 7, 2017
October 8, 2018

“Dentrix is Better”

ProsI've used Open Dental for almost 6 months now after using Dentrix for almost 3. I think Open Dental has too much functionality which is a good and bad thing. I often get lost when looking for certain things.
ConsNot the most user friendly dental CRM software available.
October 8, 2018
David M.
September 12, 2016

“Open Dental solves the problem that was Dentrix”

OverallI just finished a recent transition from Dentrix. Everything is easier and more straight forward. Thank you OD
ProsI can customize anything I want. Even the Hygienists love it.
ConsThey seem to be growing very fast. On 2 issues where I was cleaning up a mess made by Dentrix, their customer support gave me inaccurate advise. Both times on a future call I would get a straight answer from another rep. They need to learn when they do not know the answer, and just say so!
September 12, 2016
Dr. Fady G.
Owner Dentist
April 15, 2017

“Great product , great price”

OverallVery user friendly dental software that can integrate with anyother software with no locks , great price .
ProsUser friendly , great price , easy to use , full integration with other software
ConsMay be they should free initial training in house
April 15, 2017
Haylie B.
Massage therapist
February 21, 2019

“Confusing dinosaur program ”

ProsThe drag and drop feature is nice. Note section in appointments
ConsOverall confusing and not user friendly at all.
February 21, 2019
lisa w.
RDH
April 5, 2019

“Open Dental”

OverallIt would be great to have a mandated educational technician come to the office prior to launching for the dental staff to truly understand the software. It is uncomfortable to be learning it in front of the patient.
ProsThere is some versatility to this software that Eaglesoft and others don't have
ConsThere is a learning curve, especially when you are used to Eaglesoft or Dentrix.
April 5, 2019
Jennifer M.
Dental Hygienist
March 17, 2018

“Very easy software to learn! ”

ProsThe icons are very large and it is easy to find what you are looking for. The first time I used it I felt like I had used it several times before!
ConsI feel that there are too many steps in order to get to things such as the "notes" section. I had to write the steps down at first so I would remember.
March 17, 2018
Majida H.
Medical Practice, Self-employed
February 1, 2019

“An easy to use software. ”

OverallI found it very interesting, useful and worth . It is apt and can be recommended to colleagues.
ProsIt is simple and can be well understood by dental assistants too.
ConsThe software is pretty good. I don't have any cons to report.
February 1, 2019
Janis V.
RDA and order manager
December 15, 2016

“Not user friendly for beginners.”

OverallThis software is not easy to use or user-friendly, it's a little frustrating if you have to switch screens and remember info from other areas, X-rays are not transferable.
ProsSoftware needs updating in X-ray and treatment planing.
ConsIt keeps family groups together for insurance proposes.
Recommendations to other buyersNeeds updating and surfing ease.
December 15, 2016
R D F.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
October 16, 2018

“Open Dental”

ProsThis is a service that has help a colleague of mine and now I am waiting fr my opportunity in my region.Patients are referred to the practice.
ConsThe wait to be able to get on the referral list.
October 16, 2018
Tina C.
Physical Therapist
August 12, 2018

“Great Dental Practice Manager”

ProsFlexible, has many features that usually cost a lot more, time-saving, paperless, great ability to customize reports
ConsStorage and encryption are your responsibility, compatible with Windows software but you may be able to modify to apple
August 12, 2018
Chris N.
October 20, 2016

“Opening Office Only”

OverallThis software is for a single practitioner and can sometimes get slowed down if you are using multiple programs
ProsIt is great for the first 500 patients
ConsAdding more patients and their data it can get slower
Recommendations to other buyersThis software is multi planed so when you open different functions the system can get glitchy
October 20, 2016