VolunteerLocal Ratings

Overall
4.8/5
4.7/5
4.9/5

About VolunteerLocal

VolunteerLocal is the easiest way to organize, manage, schedule and communicate with volunteers. We offer a fully functional free service (no ads) as well as paid versions with advanced features. Whether you need a dozen or several thousand volunteers, our system will make your job easier. Your volunteer makes shift selections on a single page and is never required to create an account. Your volunteers will love you for making it so simple, which is why we call it Happy Volunteering. Learn more about VolunteerLocal

September 8, 2018

“VolunteerLocal meets all our needs”

OverallWe manage over a thousand volunteers during a 3-day event, recruiting them in the 3 months prior each year. With the help of this software, one volunteer coordinator is able to handle all the needs of our volunteers on a part-time basis. The VolunteerLocal team has always been able to help me get they system set up for the next year quickly and easily. They have resolved any issues I've raised within a day or so. I couldn't ask for better service.
ProsI like the flexibility of this software to handle unlimited volunteers in many different jobs and shifts. I also like that we can communicate directly with specific groups of volunteers - eg all those in a particular shift or job, and download lists of volunteers for almost any purpose. I also love that each year, we can copy over everything we set up for the previous year, which makes it very quick to get going. I appreciate that the sales and service is handled by just a few key staff who understand the product very well, so I can build a relationship with them and get quick answers to my questions.
ConsWe've been using this software for a few years now, and most of the issues we came across were fixed quickly. The only ongoing issue has been an inconsistency of fonts and sizes of text on the integrated part of our website and in some outgoing emails, and VolunteerLocal has fixed those as needed.
September 8, 2018
Nadine L.
OfficeManager
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 1-10 employees
June 12, 2019

“Office Manager”

OverallThis will be our 3 year using this program and the experience has been essential in helping us maintain our volunteer needs. We can identify the positions to be filled, the tasks and responsibilities associated with those positions, the shifts and times we need to fill and at a glance can tell where we have holes in each position that need to be filled. Historically, it has helped us identified activity patterns and this allows us to use our volunteers more effectively.
ProsThe site is really easy to use and captures the amount of detail we need for our 200 + volunteers and the individual jobs that we need filled during the Rally. Since we have been using Volunteer Local there has never been a downtime for accessing the system which spells reliability to us and that is important. On the rare occasion I need assistance, the support staff a Volunteer Local have always been extremely responsive, understand the issue almost immediately and take corrective action or provide assistance the same day. I highly recommend this program to any organization who utilizes volunteers to get the work done.
ConsI can't really offer a con - every time I have come upon a challenge that I can't resolve, the support staff are a phone call or email away to resolve the issue.
June 12, 2019
Tara P.
Volunteer Program Manager
November 13, 2018

“Why I recommend Volunteerlocal.com”

OverallI recommend this service whenever I can. It's very helpful when collecting volunteers and communicating instructions and details. We use the program for more than just events - we sign up staff members and volunteers for training and have used it to schedule staff interviews too. It's an effective way to decrease the number of times you have to say or email a detail or instruction.
ProsEase of use and support. Volunteer Programmers hear from 100's of volunteers a day, especially when recruiting for an event. Sending the link with instructions and confirmation has significantly reduced the number of calls and emails I have to send with the same message. The communication tool is my favorite feature - that and the password protection for certain volunteers roles.
ConsWould be nice to have an easier way to archive. There a few too many steps.
November 13, 2018
Carol C.
Winter Nights Volunteer Coordinator
Religious Institutions, 201-500 employees
April 4, 2019

“VolunteerLocal helps us manage an annual 2-week event with 24 hour shifts of 100+ volunteers ”

OverallThis is the best online signup app I found. Key is that it is EASY for the volunteer and there is no need for remembering Yet Another Password. Our volunteers just use their email. And there's a nice smartphone app for the volunteers. The backend is pretty intuitive and powerful. I have managed a large church event that runs 2 weeks with 24 hour shifts for the last 10 years. I have used google forms & spreadsheets to manage most of the years. The past 2 years I have used VolunteerLocal and decreased my workload at least 75%! I would highly recommend this useful app.
ProsOnce I developed the over 400+ event jobs/shifts for our annual church event, I could simple *COPY* the whole event the next year and update the START and END times...Voila! We were ready to go again I loved the export ability so I could create custom reports for different job coordinators as their teams filled out.
ConsWe could only afford the first tier subscription so I could not SAVE reports, but had to create them each time I wanted to run them. (Not difficult, just time consuming) All jobs are shift centric. There isn't a position-type job (ex: Job Planner/Coordinator) that has no explicit start/stop shift. We need that for volunteers who signup to help plan/coordinate the other volunteers in general.
April 4, 2019
Marcey T.
Volunteers Coordinator
Events Services, 1-10 employees
September 14, 2018

“Volunteer Local a.k.a. Volunteer PERSONAL”

OverallPersonable service (although sometimes it takes time for a response). Especially nice to feel you actually know me, my organization, my specific quirks. I love all the things the VL program can do to stream-line my job. This year my working hours decreased while my volunteer roster increased!
ProsFairly logical program, stream-lines my job immeasurably. I especially like the automated (pre-scheduled) responses to volunteers. What a load off my desk!
ConsSometimes I work from home, late at night. Wish I could call customer support when the spirit strikes me!!
September 14, 2018
Liz W.
Events Volunteer Coordinator
Events Services, 201-500 employees
November 11, 2018

“Volunteer Local ”

ProsVolunteer Local gives the volunteers control over when and where they would like to volunteer. They are able to add friends which is great and if something comes up they can also cancel their shift. All of this greatly reduces the amount of time my team spends on the phone and talking to potential volunteers. I also love the email feature and birthday notification.
ConsIt does not integrate with our organisations CRM and the label printing function does not work with the volunteer name tags we use. However, these are small things and the benefits of using Volunteer Local definitely out weigh these little things.
November 11, 2018
Jana D.
Community Activities Manager
Individual & Family Services, 51-200 employees
September 5, 2018

“Great service”

OverallVolunteerLocal has been an invaluable service for Youth Emergency Services & Shelter (YESS) and our annual special event, the YESS Duck Derby. The site is incredibly easy to use and the communication features make it easy to share shift updates and last-minute details to volunteers all in one place. I highly recommend VolunteerLocal for anyone managing an event that utilizes volunteers.
ProsI love the ease of use, both from the administrative side as well as the general user.
ConsThere can be some clumsiness if you choose to only confirm a volunteer once they have clicked a link in an email to confirm. In the interim the shift does not appear to be filled, so you can end up overfilling a shift pretty easily. It would be nice if it could place a "hold" on the shift for maybe 24 hours or some set amount of time. There is a simple solution to this, though, which is just to change your settings so that the shift is automatically confirmed.
September 5, 2018
Mary O.
Computer Networking, 51-200 employees
April 15, 2019

“Volunteer Local is AMAZING”

OverallWe put on events every year with, but our biggest event, the Navajo rug show, is our biggest event. We always struggled with our volunteer sign up. Now that we have VL, we are so happy. It makes sign up a breeze. And then let's talk about how GREAT their customer service. The support team has helped out Adopt a Native Elder over the years and we would be nowhere without them. I sing them (and VL) praises all the time!!
ProsThe ease of use with which we can set up an event and staff it easily and accurately. When we first started using it, the software was easy to figure out and even made us think of more things we could use it for. The features are endless, and it is a GREAT value for any event.
ConsNothing...there is absolutely nothing wrong with this software. IF there ever was something that I didn't understand, one call to customer support (and the support team) gave me the answer.
April 15, 2019
Chantelle M.
Development & Communications Coordinator
March 28, 2013

“Wonderful people, AMAZING product!”

OverallIf you're not using VolunteerLocal, you should be! This product has been so perfect for our small nonprofit. I went from sending at least 5 emails back and forth between a potential volunteer and trying to manage a 150-column, 5-page spreadsheet (and that's on legal paper) to simply copying and pasting the link and letting volunteers do it themselves! I can easily pull weekly reports to track our recruitment progress and send emails out when needed! Couldn't ask for a better product and so proud to call them a part of our Des Moines community.
ProsVolunteerLocal features a simple, user-friendly interface with features even in the free version that you have to pay for with every other online volunteer system (unlimited jobs, shifts, volunteers!). You can define what information about each volunteer you want to receive, set maximums for each position, and copy jobs and shifts so you don't have to recreate the wheel for similar events. Features increase with the paid versions including the ability to blast emails to volunteers, multiple users managing different jobs, and event check in. THE single most important pro is the people! The team is a group of local developers who regularly seek feedback from the community about how to improve their product, and it shows in the execution! Kaylee is SO receptive to customer needs and easy to work with and I look forward to every time we talk.
ConsHaven't found one yet!!
March 28, 2013
Melanie M.
Education Management, 11-50 employees
January 17, 2019

“Great addition to our volunteer program”

OverallI use this software with a wide range of age groups. People can access event information and sign up for volunteer positions without having to send me a personal email. In this day and age, having an easy signup page is really important. I give my volunteers the option of registering personally with me or to using Volunteer Local. Having these options appeals to more types/ages of people and my volunteers like that.
ProsThis software is easy for my volunteers to use. I can send them a link and all they have to do is check which job/shift they want and type in their name and email. I have a number of volunteers who are not good with technology, so this is very important. I also like that it sends them an email with their shift information right away. I like that I can put lots of detail about the event and each job position so volunteers have access to enough information to make a good decision. I like that I can add volunteers myself, if they choose to email me instead of use the VolunteerLocal page.
ConsThe layout of screens and links when setting up an event is not always intuitive. It isn't always easy to find what I am looking for.
January 17, 2019
Ronda T.
Volunteer & Participant Services Director
Sports, 11-50 employees
February 5, 2019

“North America's Largest Cross Country Ski Race uses Volunteer Local!”

OverallThe software is so easy to use! Which translates into the ease of coordinating 3500 year-round volunteers, and knowing at-a-glace what areas need attention, makes my job a lot easier.
ProsI love the ease of use, the great features - like password protection and the communication tools.
ConsDoes not include the "members" as recipients of messages sent out by me/the admin, in areas they manage.
February 5, 2019
Jeffrey F.
ReStore Manager
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
October 31, 2018

“Great company”

OverallThe convenience for us and our volunteers to sign up. Our volunteer program was recently highlighted at our conference in DesMoines. Part of the presentation was that we used your program and how much we like it.
ProsThe convenience and ease of how to use it.
ConsWhen it needed to be updated. That could have been handled better.
October 31, 2018
Scott W.
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
October 9, 2018

“VolunteerLocal... I would not run an event without it.”

OverallHistorically, the job of volunteer coordinator is a labour-intensive, time-consuming job. VolunteerLocal is a transformational tool... not only for securing volunteers, but to recruit a volunteer coordinator.
ProsSingle purpose software solution that: ~ is based on the key features of self-registration and self-scheduling ~ has a very reasonable entry level price point ~ is simple to use, yet provides good user flexibility ~ provides excellent and timely support ~ our volunteers love to use!
ConsCan't really think of any. It would be helpful to have some type of simple Gantt Chart application to build and modify the projects jobs and shifts. And to be able to PDF so you can add as attachments to the system.
October 9, 2018
Susan M.
Event Volunteer Coordinator
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
August 9, 2017

“VolunteerLocal has the best customer service I have ever encountered! ”

OverallWe are able to organize and track all of our volunteers from our events across Canada!
ProsThe software is very user friendly and it has all of the features we need to manage our volunteers. We are the largest fitness education provider in Canada and we host events from coast to coast. VolunteerLocal allow us to manage all of our events with ease. The support of the team is amazing she is able to help me with every request to make our events run smoothly.
August 9, 2017
Heather W.
Volunteer Leader
June 1, 2013

“Reviewed Many other sites... ease of use was key!”

OverallWe have 3-4 day events with hundreds of volunteers. We needed something easy for them to sign-up on, but robust enough for us to track data. We didn't need to a lot volunteer tracking over the course of time...so this was a great fit!
ProsI had been asked to review the volunteer management sites out there (found a great list of 'all' of them, or at least most). I narrowed it down to 5 and signed up for free accounts. VolunteerLocal was the first to respond to the fact that I signed up for an account, and were certainly much better than the other sites at working with me, understanding our needs, and letting us know how the website would fit our needs. I also appreciated that fact that they were willing to help resolve some of the issues we had. It certainly made me feel comfortable in recommending VolunteerLocal. The interface is very clean and simple, and as my rep could tell, I was answering my own questions soon after I sent them.. The developers seem to have thought of everything that I can think of so far! Kudos!
ConsWould love to be able to arrange shifts in the order I want, instead of alphabetical. There seems to be a bit of glitch with location when one is added, but very easy to fix after the fact.
June 1, 2013
jodi r.
Volunteer Manager
Sports, 1-10 employees
April 23, 2019

“Why I like Volunteer Local”

OverallExcellent Experience! New features are explained to us by their very knowledgeable and patient staff. They operate on the very highest level of customer service.
ProsBesides the need to "massage" data anyway I need to (and this is possible), the most important component is the communications tools. Since most of our volunteers are teens, communication with them is challenging. Volunteer Local has met this challenge through their email and texting features, and the new phone app.
ConsI like everything about the software. I like it more than I did 3 years ago. It has vastly improved through perfecting existing features and offering new features.
April 23, 2019
Jean H.
Director of Events
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 employees
December 11, 2018

“VolunteerLocal makes our events easier!”

OverallWe have two very large events that require over 100 volunteers for each day of the event. VolunteerLocal makes it much easier to keep organized. It's great to be able to have more than one administrator have access since we usually have more than one person heading up our volunteer teams. Communication is key and keeping everyone updated is much easier with VolunteerLocal.
ProsHaving an online portal for volunteers to sign up on is much easier to maintain than trying to keep all the many volunteers information on a spreadsheet. Plus, being able to communicate with volunteers through the website is an added bonus. It's great to be able to see exactly what jobs are being fulfilled and what you still need to get volunteers for too.
ConsIt does take some time getting the jobs and schedules set up, but it's time well spent in the end.
December 11, 2018
Katie M.
Director of Membership Services
Events Services, 11-50 employees
November 27, 2018

“The BEST Volunteer Management Tool”

OverallWe use VolunteerLocal to sign up volunteers for all our Rose Parade committees, and it allows me to grant permission to the committee leader to reach out to their specific volunteers, which is really great because it gives them some ownership and frees up my time for other projects. I've used it for 5 years now and it fits our needs perfectly.
ProsSo many things: ability to communicate to all volunteers by job or shift, and to provide that capability to sub-users flexibility with the registration page, can be sorted by date or by job ability to add specific details for each job or shift
ConsI can't think of anything that frustrates me, and they are so responsive when I have a question or suggestion.
November 27, 2018
Music, 1-10 employees
September 26, 2018

“We love Volunteer Local!”

OverallWe have had nothing but a positive experience with Volunteer Local! After doing a lot of research on similar software, we were happy with our choice to move forward with Volunteer Local as a free service, but found it was more than worth the investment of the paid service as well. Our volunteers always tell me how easy it is to use, too!
ProsThis program is so easy to use for me as an event organizer, and we constantly get comments from volunteers on how easy it is to sign up! Whenever we need a question answered, Volunteer Local is there within minutes to answer it. The team is always great whether we reach out via phone or email.
ConsWe are looking in to adding a few features for our festival next year, but wish a few of these were included in the package (text messaging, password protected jobs, etc.)
September 26, 2018
Sandy B.
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
November 7, 2018

“Love this team!”

OverallVolunteerLocal is the best volunteer registration system there is! I have been using this registration system for the past 6 years, for more than one event, and I have found this very volunteer friendly. I also have needed tech support to help with some changes and editing, and the fast response is impressive. The whole staff is friendly, understanding and pleasant to work with. VolunteerLocal has set high standards for the quality of their product and it shows. So happy to be a customer!
ProsHow easy it is for volunteers to sign up.
ConsSometimes the changes I need to make aren't obvious, the path isn't clear, but a tech support conversation clears my confusion quickly.
November 7, 2018
Colton S.
Associate Manager, Events
Events Services, 11-50 employees

“Easy and Efficient!”

ProsI like being able to see the report section and easily knowing the percentage of volunteers for each shift/position - makes it super easy to keep track of things. I enjoy the platform and working with you all!
ConsI don't have any cons of this platform, as I have been able to quickly learn the ins and outs of the system.
James H.
Website Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1001-5000 employees
December 19, 2018

“Great Customer Service!”

OverallMy overall experience has been great. We've been using VolunteerLocal for about 6 years now and the product they present is easy to use and cost efficient. I've had to train other users in my office on how to use their software, which has been very simple because the software is so simple to use.
ProsThe software is easy to use and is constantly being updated with new enhancements. The folks at VolunteerLocal listen to their customers and are generally quick to add features that have been submitted to them.
ConsHonestly, I can't think of any that I don't like about VolunteerLocal.
December 19, 2018
Jo G.
Volunteers Manager
August 5, 2014

“Great service for events based volunteer manage, a pleasure to use, even over the sea to New Zealand”

OverallAfter searching through various volunteer management resources and having used google docs forms and spreadsheets for the past few years, it has been an absolute pleasure to find a system that works so intuitively and successfully. The support has been amazing from the start and I look forward to using the service for all events. With a free upgrade to enable us to try out the features of the discover level it allowed me to see how easy it will make my life to recruit, manage and place all volunteers for event. The biggest time issue I always found with spreadsheet system was not gathering enough data from the volunteers and then placing them in a job that was not suitable/ they were not suited to or they were unable to do. With the online system, people can see exactly which shift they are accepting and the email confirmation allows me to see that their email address is correct and that they are fully aware of the shifts that they have taken on. Thank you for making my working life much easier, it allows me to put more time into areas of importance, finding prizes and thank yous for the volunteers, rather than moving names around a spreadsheet and trying to guess which role a volunteer would like to do. I would recommend this service to anyone looking to streamline their processes and provide a top line service to our important volunteer force.
August 5, 2014
Laura S.
Executive Director
Events Services, 1-10 employees

“VolunteerLocal”

OverallOur team leaders like to see the next-day's shifts and rosters, and these were so easy to produce!
ProsThe ability to see empty shifts easily is a huge asset when you have someone on the phone who would like to volunteer, but is unsure where. Being able to add in a job role is great as people can read over each role to decide where to volunteer.
ConsWhen a volunteer asked when his or her shift was, I had a hard time finding the pathway into that information, on many occasions.
Katie C.
Volunteer Co-coordinator
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
December 7, 2018

“Flexibility is the name of the game.”

OverallVL's online volunteer system works perfectly for our annual summer event, NL Blues & BBQ! We needed a flexible system that worked seamlessly on both the volunteer end, as well as our organizations end for reporting, tracking of t-shirts info, groups, etc. Their help, flexibility in making the system fit our needs, and customer service has been fantastic and well worth the money! I foresee using VL for all of our current and future community events!
ProsThat there is flexibility built in that we didn't even know was possibly until the situation showed itself. Customer service worked patiently with us to make it all work seamlessly and quickly!
ConsNot sure that I can think of any....so far it's all worked very well, from set up through reporting.
December 7, 2018
501-1000 employees
November 14, 2017

“Easy to use and helpful for recurring events,”

OverallSimplified volunteer management. Repetitive events benefit by having information available from previous events to copy.
ProsEasy to use interface that makes managing volunteers a snap. Easy to customize to fit event needs. Handles information year-year so setting up the next year's event is simplified by understanding schedules and needs. Like the ability to communicate with volunteers. Good value and product.
ConsSome elements take repetition to remember where they are located on the menu. Some items aren't intuitive enough.
November 14, 2017
April 20, 2018

“I've used VolunteerLocal to manage volunteers at a large-scale music festival.”

ProsAs far as volunteer management softwares go, VolunteerLocal is good! Features I like: - Fast and smooth - Easy to use - Flexible reports can be pulled as Excel sheets when needed
Cons- Check-in portal doesn't always make it easy to find/filter individuals when checking in large numbers of people over a period of different shift times - Isn't easy to view a report of what volunteers are scheduled when (if dealing with several hundred volunteers in one day w/ lots of deployment locations)
April 20, 2018
Natalie R.
Volunteer Operations
Sports, 1-10 employees
August 31, 2019

“Without Volunteer Local our Volunteer Operations would have been a disaster”

OverallI managed 500+ Volunteers over 4 days, 4 cities with multiple jobs and shifts. I have been in events for a long time, but have not managed this many people before on such a public and visible scale (professional bike race). I didn't realize how much I needed Volunteer Local until I was in the middle of using it. I assumed I could manage it with spreadsheets, but thankfully the organization purchased a license. I don't think could have managed this without Volunteer Local. Without a doubt I would use it again. It was easy to use. I probably should have spent the time to watch a orientation or welcome video but I did not. It was intuative enough that I just figured it out on the fly.
ProsEasy to use and well thought out. Customer service excellent and very responsive
ConsNothing, I think this software would work well across many different applications / events
August 31, 2019
Sam B.
Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees
May 21, 2019

“Great Volunteer Management Software”

OverallWe are a non profit community festival and use VolunteerLocal as a sign up form for our 100+ volunteers. The Volunteers report the software as being easy to use and for the free version, we get a lot of features that help make my "job" easier.
ProsI appreciate the dashboard and the way that volunteers can be viewed quickly as well as the opportunity to see what shifts are still needed to be filled at a glance.
ConsSetting up shifts is a little clunky, but doable. We are using the free version so I know there are updates for the paid versions that we do not have access to that would probably help that.
May 21, 2019
Katie S.
Chair of Shift Commitee
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
February 12, 2019

“Volunteelocal made my life easy!!!”

OverallVokunterLocal has made my job as s volunteer easy and my volunteer duties no longer dictate my time and energy.
ProsVokunterlocal's software is very user friendly on the back end as well as the front end of the website. Organizing and sending out information to my volunteers is easy and quick.
ConsThe site tracks active volunteers only. Our event requires tracking of people who have not volunteered and tracking this people is difficult since VilunteerLocal tracks someone who has signed into the system. I have over 1500 volunteers that I have to track for our event. Usually I only have about 100 not sign up. Those are pretty good odds!!!
February 12, 2019
Franz W.
GM
Sports, 1001-5000 employees
December 9, 2018

“Support lacking”

OverallGreat options and features, but customer service slow and insufficient
ProsA lot of features that other programs don't have
Conscan't get to where you need to directly, often have to go back to the start. Not intuitive description
December 9, 2018
Kevin M.
Physician Practice Advisor
Religious Institutions, 201-500 employees
December 12, 2018

“Love VolunteerLocal”

OverallVolunteerLocal makes it easy to manage our 1,000+ volunteers working at the National Catholic Youth conference. The software is great and the support from the VolunteerLocal team is outstanding?
ProsEase of use, ability to build a complex volunteer team and time slot structure, and ability to communicate from the software to our volunteers.
ConsWe have had really good experiences with VolunteerLocal over the last few years. The things we don't like have always been addressed.
December 12, 2018
Jess F.
National Events Volunteers Officer
Fund-Raising, 51-200 employees
November 6, 2018

“Changed our entire work process. ”

OverallHaving a central place to store, locate and alter volunteers is revolutionized our business process.
ProsVolunteer Local is a user friendly, centralization system that has revolutionized our working system. The report function and easy editing make the system super worthwhile.
ConsSometimes the functions can be a little confusing, but on the whole it is fairly easy to use.
Sally C.
Operations Director
Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees
September 18, 2018

“Great Resource!”

ProsOur non-profit agency only holds a couple events per year, so it's great to have a free option for volunteer management that includes reporting and the ability to customize things exactly as we need. We have been very happy with the service and ease of use. It's got everything we need!
ConsI would like the ability to copy jobs from one event to another, but understand that's a feature available on paid plans.
September 18, 2018
Sandra B.
Performing Arts, 1-10 employees

“Best of the Best! ”

OverallMy most important benefits include less time commitment in scheduling volunteers as they do so on their own. I only need to help the few who have problems. It lets me block those volunteers who want to come back by letting me know they've reapplied. It allows for easy to canceling, rescheduling, and helping volunteers. It allows for our site managers to check in volunteers and determine those who are cheating our volunteer system benefits. Plus, it lets me track volunteer hours. There are so many wonderful things that this program does for me, that I had to do by hand in the past.
ProsVery user friendly for the volunteer coordinator and equally easy for the volunteers, plus incredible customer support .
Cindy D.
Manager, Marathon & PB4K Relations
June 18, 2019

“Volunteer Local”

OverallWe've used VolunteerLocal for several years as a charity for the Pittsburgh Marathon.
ProsI can log on and easily pull reports of volunteers who have signed up. I really like how you list # of spots available and # spots filled.
ConsI couldn't find a way to email all registered volunteers directly from the site. It took a few steps to export, copy and paste all of their email addresses into Outlook, which worked fine.
June 18, 2019
Marcia W.
Music, 1-10 employees
January 8, 2019

“ Volunteer Local is fabulous! ”

OverallFantastic!
ProsVery easy to use - to change shifts, for volunteers to register for team leaders to communicate, and more.
Cons A little tweaking of intrateam communication
January 8, 2019
Albert N.
Course Director
Events Services, Self-employed

“Robust and Easy to Use”

OverallIf I'm going to set up a large event that would involve a large event staff or volunteer corp., I wouldn't use any other platform other than VolunteerLocal. It makes the process seamless and easy to manage our Human Resources.
Pros- Easy to set up an event and use the tool for managing our people resources. - Robust platform that's flexible in allowing for role and schedule changes. - Allows for customization of sign-up fields. - Easy to copy over the event for the following year.
ConsIt took a little time to understand how to copy events over from the previous year, but the staff was quick to reply and help us out over e-mail or even on the phone from Chicago to Toronto.
Theresa G.
Festival Coordinator
Philanthropy, 11-50 employees
March 5, 2019

“We love using volunteer local”

OverallWe are able to cut down on the about of time it takes to manually confirm positions with volunteers. We also love that we are able to run reports to show available and full positions with their color coding. It makes communicating with volunteers much easier than in the past.
ProsThe ability of volunteers to schedule, change and delete shifts on their own.
ConsWould like an app to go with the software.
Lucine K.
Volunteer oordinator
Sports, 11-50 employees
June 19, 2017

“Best Sign-up Tool I've Found!”

ProsI love the versatility of this program. All of my events are linked. The ability to duplicate jobs from one event to a subsequent event is such a time saver.
ConsI can't have different logos attached to each event I create...they all share the same account logo which doesn't represent the
Kerri S.
May 1, 2013

“A Perfect Fit!!”

OverallHaving organized many PTA events over the years, I have sampled several online volunteer registration tools, but none passed the test. They were difficult to use and confused an already tedious process. I found gold when I discovered Volunteer Local. Gave them a test spin with our last school carnival and I am 100% sold. It is the IDEAL tool for any event requiring volunteers. The setup was easy, the sign up page was simple enough for novice internet users to navigate, the stats dashboard is awesome and the ability to export volunteer data was icing on the cake. If I did have a technical question, Brian was swift to reply and super great to work with. Thank you, Volunteer Local! We will most definitely be using your product in the future. You saved us time and most of all, sanity.
Pros- Simple to setup and navigate - Easy for volunteers to get in, sign up and stay informed. - Quick Stats dashboard a big plus - Ability to export data into Excel - Technical support quick and knowledgeable
Cons- Not one con.
May 1, 2013
Shawn N.
June 12, 2013

“Coordinating Volunteers is Now a Breeze. ”

OverallI highly recommend using VolunteerLocal. It saves time and most importantly sanity. Volunteers find it easy to use and sign-up. And coordinators have so many great tools to make the application fit each unique event. Two thumbs up!
ProsThe application has so many features to maximize simplicity for both the coordinator and the volunteer. There are many tools available to critique and customize the application to fit your event. Its an easy-to-use platform that minimizes the confusion for everyone. You can easily export your data to programs such as Excel for further organization. And, the support team is incredible.
ConsIts hard to think of any cons considering how difficult coordinating volunteers was before discovering VolunteerLocal. And, If I was to list any, im sure it would be resolved before the next person could sign-up with VolunteerLocal.
June 12, 2013
Victoria W.
Professional Volunteer
Civic & Social Organization, Self-employed
August 27, 2019

“Does what it was designed for.”

OverallKeeping track of multiple areas and multiple volunteers at an event.
ProsFor someone familiar with the program, it's fairly simple and easy.
ConsFor a "newbie", it can be confusing. A lot has to do with how the event coordinator sets up the sign-up process to sign up for events.
August 27, 2019
Derek J.
Global Service Provider Business Development Manager
Computer Networking, 11-50 employees
January 29, 2019

“Volunteer Local for Hopscotch Music Festival”

OverallI use it every year. I like keeping volunteer info in a secure place that I can use to keep n contact throughout the year. The pricing model is great for a small festival (300 volunteers) that happens once a year. Many online tools just don't scale down to our level and VolunteerLocal delivers and includes great customer service!
ProsI like the scale-ability for a festival our size. Once a year and simple shifts require simple solution and you deliver. The site has been very stable. I am able to organize over 300 volunteers over 3-4 days single handily.
ConsOne request would be an iOS based app for the manager, not just volunteers.
January 29, 2019
Reba N.
July 16, 2013

“Ogden Friends of Acoustic Music (OFOAM) loves VolunteerLocal”

OverallBefore VL, our Volunteer Coordinator relied on emails, phone calls & spreadsheets to organize volunteers for the Ogden Music Festival. Our volunteers didn't have much choice about where and when their shifts were and communication was often confusing. We had an unhappy Volunteer Coordinator and unhappy volunteers! When our Coordinator quit with no replacement in the wings, we thought we'd be lost. Another local non-profit highly recommended your service. In desperation, I signed up for the free version and began creating jobs and shifts. The set up was very user friendly. Our biggest challenge was getting volunteers to use the online sign up, as they had been used to the old way of doing business. Since VolunteerLocal, communication with volunteers has been clearer, job descriptions helped them know what to expect and confirmation emails gave them their schedules without me having to lift a finger! Happy (but looking for a replacement) "Volunteer Coordinator" and happy volunteers!
July 16, 2013
Bent F.
Co-Chair, Oakville Family Ribfest
Fund-Raising, 11-50 employees
December 28, 2018

“Review of VolunteerLocal software”

OverallWe have now used VolunteerLocal for 3 years and would not be able to manage our volunteer base without it.
ProsI find it very ease to set up and integrate with our web site.
ConsCost - we are a non-profit so every dollar is important
December 28, 2018
Gillian W.
April 25, 2017

“Wanaka Trail Ride review”

OverallA great, intuitive volunteer management system that really helped us manage our volunteers for the trail ride. Creating jobs, scheduling shifts, communicating with our volunteers and exporting data was so straight forward and made our job so much easier.
ProsIts so user friendly - really straight forward to get started and up and running. A great tool to have on the scale of event I was working on. 100+ vols.
ConsI was on the more expensive per event level and found some of the communication tools limiting. I would like to be able to attach docs/photos rather than link to a URL and to be able email individual vols rather than groups. I also wonder if the higher levels give notification when a volunteer signs up or I may have missed this feature.
April 25, 2017
Charley R.
Sales & Events Manager
Online Media, 51-200 employees

“Perfect for our needs”

ProsThe best feature, in my opinion, is that when you send emails from the Volunteer Local system, it comes from your email address and not some branded, unknown email address. It lets my volunteers know immediately that the communication is from me, without question.
ConsThere was one point where I asked support about how to do something and rather than tell/show me, they just did it for me. I like to learn how to use the system so I don't have to go to support for the same thing over and over.
Katy D.
Festival and Events Manager
July 1, 2014

“I love VolunteerLocal!”

OverallThe Grapevine Convention and Visitors Bureau has been using VolunteerLocal now for a number of years. I cannot imagine doing my job without it! We recruit thousands of volunteers throughout the year for multiple events and VolunteerLocal is like my right hand. The software is so easy to use and has all of the features that I need to be a successful volunteer manager. I especially love the dashboard feature where I can see a snapshot of my event's volunteers and easily get to the report to see the areas where I need to focus on recruiting. All of my volunteers love using the software to sign up because they get to pick what is right for their schedules quickly and easily. The customer service at VolunteerLocal is fantastic. Kaylee and Brian are quick to answer my questions and fix any issues very quickly. I would recommend the software to any event manager that is looking for an easy way to recruit volunteers.
July 1, 2014
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
September 17, 2019

“ Positive recommendation ”

Pros I love being able to sort my reports in several different ways. Either alphabetically, by date, by time, etc.
Cons I'm not sure this would work on a Phone app