Payroll by Wave Ratings

Overall
4.4/5
4.3/5
4.1/5

About Payroll by Wave

Affordable payroll designed for small business. Backed by our 100% accuracy guarantee, you can be confident in tax remittances, issuing pay stubs, new hire reporting and year end tax forms. Wave makes it easy to save time and get back your work day. Feel good when you calculate, run and pay your employees and contractors on time, the right way! Learn more about Payroll by Wave

Aisha L.
June 25, 2018

“I have been using WaveApp For 2 years”

ProsI absolutely love Waveapp. It is easy to use to manage my client invoices, estimates, employee payroll, and track business expenses.
ConsThe only drawback is waiting several days for funds to be transferred to your bank account. When my clients make a payment, I get a notification that I have been paid, however, those funds take a few days before they actually show up in my bank. It would be great if Waveapp was a bank as well.
June 25, 2018
Juan Carlos A.
Internal Control Coordinator
Retail, 10,001+ employees
October 3, 2017

“Simple and easy to use as their name!”

OverallWe appreciate the web based option for sheets to allow our remote workforce to access timecards, time off requests, and pay stubs from their locations
ProsNo longer have to fill out and turn in paper time sheets. Its very easy to use for all level employees.
ConsAt the end of every week it takes about 6 hours to punch in and key all missed punches from employees. But I do recommend the use of this software.
October 3, 2017
Shaun D S.
Business Owner
July 18, 2018

“If was any simpler it'd be illegal”

OverallSuper simple. We were actually able to get everything set-up in 4 hours, not missing a beat, employees were paid on time and reporting cash in - cash out doesn't require a degree from MIT.
ProsI can't even begin to say how SIMPLE it is! I was looking for something that my Daughter and Wife could use to do AR/AP as well as payroll. It took me literally 4 hours to get 237 employees added with their payroll information. Didn't miss a payday :-)
ConsThe invoicing was/is clunky. You only have 3 designs to choose from. I haven't found a way to import designs from another invoicing software that I was using. I'd kind of like to just have one......but it's not too important right now.
July 18, 2018
Holly P.
April 23, 2018

“Love this software!”

ProsI have been using this for payroll and book keeping for the last several years. It is super easy to use and has almost all the features I need. I create T4s on it and can invoice clients!
ConsI wish it could allow staff access to enter their own hours then I could approve them. This feature would make a big difference!
April 23, 2018
Geoff J.
Real Estate, 51-200 employees
March 6, 2019

“The BEST, most simple accounting software”

OverallWith wave accounting I am able to easily create invoices and bills. I am able to effortlessly pay contractors & employees with direct deposit.
ProsEase of use, customer service, price, features & design.
ConsSome solutions require a work around that is not intuitive.
March 6, 2019
Jennifer N.
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
September 12, 2017

“Love Wave App!”

ProsIt's a great software for billing and invoicing clients, vendors, employees, and independent contractors. I love the ability to send the invoices via email and getting paid within the system. It's simply, easy to use and have a variety of features including, connecting your financial institution to the app for payment, saving and exporting data and interface is very clean.
ConsThe mobile interface does not work very well. The app sometimes crashes. Other than that, there no other cons with the software.
September 12, 2017
Tonya K.
Construction, 1-10 employees
June 20, 2019

“No More Payroll Headaches”

OverallThis software has saved me a ton of time and frustration. When I have questuins they respnd quickly to help me out.
ProsThis sodtware makes it simple to do payroll for my company. The handle all of the taxes and scheduling of payroll liability payments. I love that they automatically fill out my employee tax forms.
ConsThe only thing I don't like is that I can't set up payroll to run automatically each week. You need to run payroll and approve it. My employees are salary so the pay is the same each week.
June 20, 2019
Atul B.
Business Manager
August 10, 2015

“Ideal for Small Business”

OverallWe have been using Payroll by Wave for quite a few years now and are very happy with it. We are one of the top immigration law firms based in Pittsburgh, PA and our mission is to provide affordable experienced representation and personal case handling to cost-conscious clients and businesses. We have very caring and passionate employees that help us achieve our mission. Payroll by Wave is the perfect solution for our small business needs for running payroll and managing vacation time. It is very easy to use with a very well designed and intuitive user interface. It guides you through the setup process if you are a new user. It has several features such as Reminders, Payroll Review, Direct Deposit, Tax Reporting and Tax filing (we do not use the tax filing feature since we already had a process in place before it was introduced). It is integrated into the Wave accounting platform (we use some other Wave apps as well) and has support for both full-time and part-time employees. Signing up new employees is straightforward. The Wave Team provides excellent customer service and responds to questions / requests in reasonable time. They are also open to collaborating with their clients to get feedback and make the solution better.
Rita V.
Marketing Coordinator
Self-employed
April 9, 2018

“I wish I found about this sooner”

ProsThis is the best place to organize payments, finances, and payroll. Seriously! It's so easy to setup and a breeze to use. I feel hugged everytime I use wave. They added an Accounting area that it's amazing. I can't say enough how much I love this program. They integrate with paypal, your bank account, etsy! You can create your own invoice template with your logo and colors for free!
ConsI can't find anything in waves that make me want to find another service. There are no cons, they keep adding new features.
April 9, 2018
Shannon K.
Veterinary, 1-10 employees
November 28, 2018

“Great product ”

OverallI love that it is easy to use and figure out. Costumer service is helpful. Very affordable. Perfect for my small business.
ProsEasy to use. Spells out taxes. Simple. Affordable
ConsNot much. Really good product. I love the payroll feature too much to have a con.
November 28, 2018
Kamilah J.
Founder & Managing Attorney
Law Practice, Unspecified
February 6, 2018

“I love Wave”

ProsI love Wave! It is awesome. The payroll feature is easy to use and the transaction tagging is very easy.
ConsI do not have very many complaints if any at all. The support staff responds very quickly to any issues or concerns that a user may have.
February 6, 2018
Jenifer N.
Maritime, 1-10 employees
August 21, 2018

“Wave Payroll”

OverallHave great success at accounting, banking and my payroll just got easier. I can print reports. Very Happy. Wave On
ProsIts Free and very easy to use. Many options.
ConsHaven't found any issues with the software
August 21, 2018
Justin E.
Owner, Manager
August 11, 2015

“Easy to use but feature rich bookkeeping and payroll for small business”

OverallPreviously I had QuickBooks online. They were ok, but they cost me about five times the price, and their system has certain traditional accounting options that are way too much for me. Wave does great simple accounting at a really cheap price. I recommend it for any small business owner who needs something they can handle on their own without hiring their own accountant. The only reason I didn't give Customer Service 5 stars is because these folks are located in the eastern time zone and I'm in Hawaii, so I basically never got to talk to them when I paid extra for the phone support because they yabba-dabba-do on home at 5pm EST -- pretty classic, old fashioned business hours. Now I'm back on e-mail support and it's fine -- cheaper anyway. Phone or e-mail, the support staff are all genuine and work with you on a sincere one-to-one basis... no BS'ing or shining people on. Good people; focused, and responsible.
Retail, 11-50 employees
August 3, 2018

“Very Intuitive and Easy to Use Payroll Software”

ProsPayroll by Wave is very easy to use, very intuitive, and it's great that it sent payroll reminders and showed you the total amount to withdraw. Direct deposit is another handy feature!
ConsNo complaints at all! I only had good experiences with Payroll by Wave!
August 3, 2018
Entertainment, Unspecified
February 13, 2018

“One of my favorite pieces of Wave Apps!”

ProsThe Payroll section of Wave is wonderful. After getting it setup it only takes minutes to enter in timesheets and run it.
February 13, 2018
Machinery, 11-50 employees
May 5, 2018

“I absolutely love it! Just get excited thinking about going back!”

ProsI love the simplicity of it. I am not an accountant, and they make me feel like I am! Haha I love that I feel secure using them to.
ConsPersonally, it's not that the customer support is bad, but it's not as attentive to me as I would like it.
May 5, 2018
Andrew N.
COO
August 28, 2015

“Wave Payroll - Super Simple Payroll”

OverallWe've been using Wave Payroll for the past two years for both Canadian and US employees. It's by far the easiest service we've ever used. - Employees have commented how easily and quickly they get their tax information and direct deposit setup. Payment by direct deposit works great every time, if they have questions, they can view their stubs online easily. - I don't have to event think about CRA or US tax remittances, it just happens automatically - Getting T4s, T5s, W2, W3, forms 940 and 941 every year couldn't be easier and they integrate nicely into the accounting part of the service as well - Automatically filed ROEs are also a nice touch - Having the payroll service integrated with our invoicing and accounting software just makes everything run smoothly, and saves us a ton of time every month
August 28, 2015
Alexandra S.
Hospitality, 1-10 employees
April 26, 2018

“I love Wave!”

ProsThis has been the best online payroll tool we've had. Although, since you can have it for free it can surprise as to how good the product is. Not complicated at all, very user-friendly and most important, gets the job done.
ConsI really share no bad feelings towards the product. Ever since we've used it for our small company it has worked very well.
April 26, 2018
Michael S T.
Sr Director of Business Operations
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
October 16, 2019

“Good for very small business, up to 20 employees? But if you will grow, then this is not for you”

OverallSupport is ok, but one time there was a delay on payroll from Wave's end, and it was 5PM on a friday, the support team cut us off and we were left in a lurch. Not exactly a great feeling. We will be moving off Wave as soon as we can. We will looking at payroll in Quickbooks online, ADP/Cerdian, and BlueMarble
ProsIt is easy and straight forward to run a payroll and to setup new employees.
ConsReporting is terrible. I cannot run summary reports by department, YTD, so on. It has very basic reporting, so if you are a 5 person shop, this will work. If you are going to scale and need to split costs by department, it will be painful.
October 16, 2019
Internet, 11-50 employees
July 21, 2018

“Good but could be better, still new ”

ProsThey are a good value for the service, but they don't have full service payroll in many states yet and paying taxes on your own can be tough
ConsThey don't have full services payroll, and support is slow to respond. I imagine this will get better over time.
July 21, 2018
Maggie G.
Business Owner
August 15, 2015

“I recommend cost-effective solutions for small businesses and non-profit organizations”

OverallPros: Easy to use, extremely cost effective, direct deposit and Revenue Canada remittances, transmit payrolls in advance, cannot run off-cycle pay runs Cons: Cannot schedule off-cycle pay runs. For most business owners not being able to schedule off-cycle pay runs is an excellent safe guard to ensure (in Canada) that CPP and EI calculations are correct. As a professional I sometimes need to do to do this and have developed workarounds to ensure that Wave payroll still is my solution of choice. Overall it's an excellent product with great customer support.
August 15, 2015
Casey H.
Graduate Admissions Representative
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
September 17, 2019

“Easy to use payroll system with no frills”

OverallOverall I love Wave and the Payroll system. Consider starting a free trial to look around the program.
ProsI have used Wave accounting and recently added on the payroll system for my 2 employees. It was so easy to set up my account and even easier to submit time and get them paid through direct deposit. The employees like being able to log on and see their stubs. The fees are so affordable for a small business. Highly recommend!
ConsWave was just bought by QuickBooks and I am concerned about how the acquisition will affect this program.
September 17, 2019
Peter K.
Managing Director
November 24, 2014

“Simple, clean, and powerful”

OverallPayroll by Wave makes it easy to schedule payrolls; adjust deductions, salaries, bonuses, and so on; it handles automatic remittances; and it's affordable. It has an intuitive interface. I can fully recommend it after having evaluated it against its online competitors, having used it for 2 years, and having come from many years of struggles with ADP. The only thing I'm waiting on is multi-currency support on its payments add-on: https://support.waveapps.com/entries/22235625-Multi-currency-support-for-Payments-by-Stripe
November 24, 2014
Marketing and Advertising, 5001-10,000 employees
March 15, 2018

“Free but hidden problems”

ProsBest thing about it is that it is free but the features are amazing for a free tool. It has a dashboard that allows you to see charts for overdue invoices, bank accounts and credit cards. The invoice templates are great, as this makes it easy to use and you can customized them too. Great way to track and use.
ConsMy biggest problem was customer support, very limited and useless. There is a hidden fee that is not mentioned which should be disclosed. A bit of a trust issue with this system.
March 15, 2018
Nadim N.
Owner/President
August 11, 2015

“Great people, great service”

OverallI have been utilizing Wave's services for a while now. It started with invoicing only and I have since upgraded to Payroll by Wave. Their communication and services are both excellent, as well as their pricing. I recommend any small business owner to make use of their services. You speak to real people and they are very at tentative and knowledgeable. They even go out of their way to help find solutions to your questions they don'e "have to answer". Great experience.
Kendal P.
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
December 27, 2018

“Great up and coming accounting platform”

ProsI started with the free version for accounting only and like the integrations in all areas of my accounting needs
ConsIt's not as intuitive as QuickBooks is. Quickbooks will start to recognize transactions over time and default categorize them for you, Wave has not caught up with that yet.
December 27, 2018
Sally N.
Member Board of Directors
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
February 18, 2016

February 18, 2016
Paula H.
August 11, 2015

“Good Value for Basic Payroll”

OverallPROS: A simple, user-friendly interface for small businesses that want to ensure they are abiding by payroll regulations. Works well when set up with direct deposit. Customer support is usually timely and quite helpful. CONS: Doesn't handle vacation accrual very well and does not include vacation payable in reports so manual calculation required. Somewhat inflexible regarding date changes.
Ashley A.
CEO/Founder
August 17, 2015

“Best payroll product on the market! ”

OverallWave Accounting is definitely one of the best companies for accounting, and their payroll app has really come out on top! It's easy to use, easy to learn, and the user experience is optimal. The customer service is by far the best in the business. The pricing is so inexpensive that you cannot go wrong! I wholly recommend this product to any small business!
August 17, 2015
David S.
August 10, 2015

“I am a CPA that provides bookkeeping and tax services to business persons using the Wave software.”

OverallThe payroll module in Wave is very easy to use once set up. It can process payroll, take funds from your account and direct deposit to the employee's account as well as make the payroll deduction remittances for you. The cost is very low and the module integrates into the accounting software thereby saving many steps. Anyone that requires payroll I recommend they use Wave.
Lea W.
January 24, 2017

“Easy way to run payroll”

OverallPayroll by Wave is an easy-to-use system for processing your payroll in-house and also offering direct deposit. This platform is integrated with Wave's general accounting software, which helps reduce the need for additional manual journal entries. Very straight-forward.
January 24, 2017
Praveen G.
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
January 20, 2019

“Extremely Poor Customer Service”

ProsSelf-service web interface is fairly easy to use. That's pretty much all I like about this application/service.
ConsWave Payroll's customer service is extremely poor. It's almost impossible to reach Wave Payroll agents by phone. Emails to Wave Payroll Support are sometimes do not generate a response. Agents contradict each other statements. Basically, it's a crazy house there. Missing features of most payroll services. Many states are not supported.
January 20, 2019
Sarah B.
Education Management, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
June 26, 2019

“Terrible customer support”

ProsI don't have any pros to report at this time.
Cons--> On their website they hide their phone number. Red flag. --> On 2 occasions I had trouble understanding their responses to my questions when using the chat feature. --> When I asked them to please call someone at my bank to help figure something out, they refused. In comparison, when I asked Gusto to please call my bank, they did so within a few minutes and then sent me a follow-up email.
June 26, 2019
Kim H.
Business Owner / Technician
Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees
March 20, 2019

“Good alternative to other mainstream software”

OverallWave requires a lot of user intervention. It is a great, free option and has an app on phone but you will need to keep up with it, as banking link is inaccurate or often disconnected.
ProsIt was free and linked with the bank immediately. It was somewhat intuitive although it was not clear how to disconnect certain bank accounts while leaving others connected.
ConsIt kept disconnecting link to bank accounts without users changing anything. Had not even logged in and it was disconnected repeatedly.

By Wave Apps on March 22, 2019
Im sorry I think this may have been posted on the wrong software. WAVE is a learning platform for risk management and does not link to any type of banking or e-commerce.
March 20, 2019
Doug C.
August 10, 2015

“Makes paying my crew easy”

OverallI've been using Wave Payroll for over a year and I'm not sure I'd still be running my business without it. It does all the work of navigating the CRA hurdles and with direct deposit, it really is a 2 button operation.
Anyugel M.
May 9, 2018

“Easy to use”

Prosthe service is rally easy to use and manage, even for those people, like me, without background in payroll management
ConsIt is really ugly and you can't customize the features and the service, because it doesn't left you enough control over the payroll
May 9, 2018
travis j.
November 26, 2016

“Awful invoice”

Overallthey hold my payments so they can find information about my customers,that makes bad business i dont use this invoice anymore. For those thinking its good wait until they hold your payment then ask stupid questions about your customer. Pathetic..
Prosit was ok in the beginging
ConsThey like to hold your payments and want to harrass your customer by asking personal questions.
Recommendations to other buyersfind another software to use not wave..
November 26, 2016
Jim W.

“Simple, Easy Payroll”

OverallIntegrated well with WAVE cloud accounting. Payroll features are easy to setup and control. Email alerts tell me when to run payroll. Nice.
Lindsay M.
CEO and Founder
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
February 24, 2018

February 24, 2018
Linda J.
November 16, 2017

“I found it very intuitive to use and set up.”

ProsIt does everything I need it to. I found it very easy to set up invoices, online payment options for clients, recurring billing for clients, and more.
November 16, 2017
Susanna N.
Social Media
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
March 18, 2019

“Quick Payrolls”

ProsIt takes away the stress of choosing the right layout for invoices. It provides many templates to pick from and colour customizable. Entering the information for the invoice is easy to follow. It also gives you the choice to do direct deposit to your bank.
ConsThe program runs a bit slow at times, an upgrade on the speed of the website would be helpful.
March 18, 2019
Entertainment, 1-10 employees
January 22, 2019

“Not user friendly; More of a time waster”

OverallGreat ideas - bad implementation, less than optimal user interface.
ProsI don't, it doesn't work. I thought I was signing up for payroll, that it was free not for additional fees. It worked for a month, then stopped. Had to go through the process again. Then again the connections did not work. There is nothing I like about this software.
ConsNegative option for signing up. Lack of user friendly interface. Dropped connections for Direct Deposit. Not easy to sign up, issues after we've gone through the process. Less than optimal support.
January 22, 2019
Rolland V.
November 28, 2017

“Set-up lengthy and painful”

ProsThe tool has nice features and a nice dashboard, that is it really.
ConsThey ask for personal information which is irrelevant for the product, especially when in 2017 the keep telling young to give your personal information liberally.
November 28, 2017