Modernizing Medicine IT Suite Ratings

Overall

About Modernizing Medicine IT Suite

EMA® by Modernizing Medicine is a specialty-specific EHR system for dermatology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, otolaryngology, plastic surgery, pain management and urology practices and is suited for any number of providers and staff. Key features include: built by practicing physicians, native iPad application, cloud-based, adaptive learning, automated notes and bills, MIPS & MACRA functionality & more. A full suite of integrated solutions is also available. Learn more about Modernizing Medicine IT Suite

Erik N.
Ophthalmologist
April 19, 2019

“EMA is the best ophthalmology EHR available.”

OverallOur experience has been so excellent with both the EHR product itself as well as the Modernizing Medicine team that we have since adapted their practice management software as well. While using another practice management company we were able to directly contrast the customer support between the two companies...and there was no comparison. From implementation to troubleshooting, the support from Modernizing Medicine is far superior to anyone we have come across. The support team is reason enough to choose EMA over its competitors. Fortunately they also have a superior product to go with a great support team. If you are considering an ophth EHR do not hesitate to go with Modernizing Medicine. You will not be disappointed. I have no financial incentive or other alternative motivation to promote this product. They have exceeded my expectations from the very beginning and I just really love this EHR!
ProsThe intuitive interface makes documentation far easier than any of the other systems we tested before choosing EMA. Even our more senior partners were able to adapt to this system coming from decades of paper charting only and without having to employ scribes.
ConsWe are 'dead in the water' on the very rare occasion that we loose internet connectivity. Currently there is no way to access prior patient records or testing since it is all stored on a cloud server. In 4 years of using this system we have only had this happen 2 or 3 times for a period of 1 hour to half a day. This has never been a problem with the EHR system itself but was either our internet service provider or once when there was an 'attack' on the amazon server system. Reverting back to paper at those times was a great way for us to realize how much we preferred documenting in EMA rather than paper!

By Modernizing Medicine on April 24, 2019
Good morning Dr. Niemi - Wow, thank you! We very much appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and others considering our software. Thank you from the entire Modernizing Medicine team! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
April 19, 2019
Adam B.
Director of HIMS
Medical Practice, 201-500 employees
January 31, 2019

“EHR of the Future”

OverallWe use the Modernizing Medicine EMA Orthopedic platform and are very happy to have found an EHR company that works with us and their other clients to make the system better for all. I also like the fact that each of the other EHR domains (ex. Derm, gastro, etc.) work together re utilizing tools already developed/solved for other domains instead of always having to design items from scratch, this dramatically improves the time from a "client system request" to "included in a release". If you are in the market for an EHR, I would suggest you take a serious look at the EMA platform from Modernizing Medicine and then decide if the system is right for your practice. Modernizing Medicine is a great company to work with in solving your clinical workflow challenges.
ProsExcellent technical support staff and training staff. The ModMed Programming team is constantly coming out with updates and additional needed/requested functionality. They are always open to listen and understand the problems faced by our clinical staff and providers in order to design, develop, and implement solutions to our problems. The staff from Modernizing Medicine is always delightful to deal with and they are fully supportive of delivering the best experience and easing documentation burden around the clinical visit compared to other EHRs
ConsThe system is designed around the physician workflow and smaller office staff, this system is not as user friendly for office staff not involved with the clinical visit when you get into a large, busy clinic. Many of the administrative features found in the larger client base systems are not found in this one. They are making progress on all of the above with each and every update!

By Modernizing Medicine on February 6, 2019
Dear Adam - We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to share your honest feedback with us and others considering our software. We value the relationship we have with you and the entire MSK team. - Tara W., VP of Orthopedics & Pain Management
January 31, 2019
Bill H.
July 5, 2013

OverallI lead the Administration and Operations for a 5 physician, 4 physician extender dermatology practice. Prior to this position, I spent 17 years as a senior executive at Accenture, the world's largest technology consulting firm. In this role, I worked with many Fortune 100 companies and their technology vendors. Software company evaluation and selection is one of my areas of depth and experience. Our practice spent over 1 year evaluating the EMR marketplace, watching closely as it evolved. We met with the sales and support personnel from the leading firms with Dermatology-specific solutions. In addition to features and functionality, we sought a partner with a vision, and the dedication and know-how to translate that vision to the market. We selected Modernizing Medicine (M2) in Q3 2012 and are approaching 1 year with it in production. I recently asked several of the physicians to share the best thing they like about M2 EMA. Their decidedly non-IT replies were - "it's awesome, my patient visit documentation quality is stunning when compared to my old paper charts"; "it's amazing -it just keeps getting better with each release"; and "the coding accuracy, based on the Dx codes, is brilliant". Our pathology lab coordinator is effusive in her praise of EMA's Cancer Log, and even more impressed with the fact that they value and adopt her input on how to make it easier to use. Our medical assistants (MA's) love the new body maps in the latest update - more accurate and anatomically correct. The "EMA runs in background" feature is helpful when patients sign consent forms; they no longer accidentally hit the "home" button and close EMA. Several of our MA's and one physician extender had experience with M2 EMA's leading competitor, and they tell me EMA is significantly better and much easier to use. Given the size of our practice and the number of employees and providers, we elected the on-site training option. The trainers were young, dynamic, and impressive - not only in their knowledge of the software, but also their command of the business process flow within a dermatology practice. We trained in August, 2012 and went live after Labor Day. We hoped Meaningful Use (MU) would be attainable over the last 3 months of 2012, but we had muted expectations given the magnitude of the transition. After 1 month of using EMA and running the helpful EMA MU reports, we "knew" we were going to attain MU. We attested on 12/14/12. The MU Progress reporting is outstanding, and the drill downs take you right to where MA corrections are needed or omissions were made. It is obvious that the design of EMA is the work of physicians with deep clinical experience. The iPad and workstation platforms demonstrate the integration of advanced technology and streamlined dermatology office work-flow. Above all else, we continue to be amazed with the quality and dedication of every M2 employee we interact with. From the leadership team to the newest employee, we are consistently impressed with their desire to answer our questions and to help us succeed. A front desk employee of ours noticed an inconsistency in a "last visit date" field in EMA and we brought it to Customer Support's attention. When M2 confirmed we'd identified a bug, we were showered with praise and they fixed it immediately. It is clear they are intellectually and emotionally invested in making M2 EMA the best. I don't believe we've found another bug since. After we selected EMA but early in our implementation approach, I had a software integration question. I asked to speak with someone in a leadership role on the "interface integration team". Less than 4 hours later, Dan Cane called me at 7pm while I was watching my son play a baseball game. Dan spent 20-30 minutes discussing the pros/cons of the implementation and integration options I faced transitioning from our paper chart and legacy practice management system environment. How many other CEO's could or would be willing to do that? When we began our EMR software selection process, our biggest fear was selecting an EMR product/company that would be eclipsed by others in the marketplace. We no longer have any fear of the future. We are 100% sure we made the right decision, and we could not be more pleased to have M2 EMA as our EMR partner.
July 5, 2013
Brian C.
June 26, 2013

OverallI am in a 2 person general dermatology and Mohs surgery practice. I was using a paper chart system prior to switching to EMA in 2011, and now have almost 12000 visits documented in EMA. I always thought that when I left the military and entered private practice 16 years ago, I would adopt an EHR system very soon. I quickly realized that it was not easy to find a system out there that could match the efficiency of the single page progress note with anatomical figures that my practice like many others had been using for years. I set a goal to find an EHR system that would make me more efficient, but still allow the convenience of documenting the visit on an anatomical figure like most dermatologists have done for years. I also wanted to be more accurate and complete with my documentation, and preferably be more productive. Finally, I wanted a system that would allow me to maximize face time with the patient and minimize the drudgery of all the paper work associated with patient care. When I started evaluating EHR systems at different dermatology meetings in 2010 and 2011, I did not see a single system that met any of those goals. Then I stumbled upon the Modernizing Medicine booth at the AAD meeting In New Orleans. There was definitely a lot of interest in the product and I was immediately impressed. Finally, a system that appeared to be designed by a dermatologist with all my goals in mind. I have to admit the implementation was not as easy as I expected. The product was relatively new at the time we began and far from perfect, but it has improved by leaps and bounds - and Modernizing Medicine continues to find ways to improve it regularly. Most of my staff has learned to use EMA very quickly, and brand new employees seem to adapt to EMA faster than they do to a paper chart. I estimate it took 6 months to be reasonably comfortable with the system, but with the improvements made in the program now, I suspect that time could be even less for a new user. The coding feature of the program is I think one of its greatest strengths. I learned more about accurate coding in the first 6 months of using EMA than I had in 15 years of manual coding. The coding feature has not only shown me many areas where I was previously under coding, but has also highlighted visits where I previously may have lacked documentation to justify a code. I always take clinical photos of biopsy sites to help me prepare for future surgery. This program does an excellent job of assigning the photo to the patient's visit with a label almost effortlessly. Filling out a pathology request and all the specimen jar labels use to be a pain in the neck with a paper chart. Now, all the pertinent information is collected from the note and in a few clicks the request and labels are done. Not a single call back from the path lab because they cannot read the path request form since we started EMA. The ultimate goal of an excellent EHR system should be to make us a better doctor by allowing us to spend more time thinking about what is actually wrong with the patient, and to provide us tools to arrive at a diagnosis and treatment more accurately. With the ease of documentation and addition of some of the new features such as VisualDx, EMA is very close to achieving that ultimate goal for me.
June 26, 2013
Gilbert W.
April 7, 2013

OverallI am the owner/doctor of a solo ophthalmology practice and just opened a little over a year ago. I only have two staff members: a receptionist and a tech. I wanted to start off right away with an electronic health record system because I didn't have much storage space in my new office. I also wanted to qualify for Meaningful Use. I was looking for a cloud-based electronic health record (EHR) system because it would minimize the amount of computer equipment needed and be easily accessible. I also wanted a system that would utilize the iPad, if possible. I started with a company that had a very nice layout that displayed all the examination findings in one screen, but there were several major problems (watch out for these when you are shopping): The javascript-based interface accessed through a web-browser had many bugs. The IT team was poor. It was based in another country, so there was a problem coordinating time zones. There was also poor communication among the teams within the company. It took them 5 months of trying to program a bridge between my EHR and practice management (PM) systems, and by that time, I was just sick of the run-around that they gave me. I could not find the time to program all of my impression/diagnosis code/plan algorithms. The default ones they packaged for me were inadequate. I really wanted to use an iPad for my EHR. Even if I could access this EHR with the iPad Safari browser, the user interface was really designed for clicking with a mouse and using a PC keyboard. I finally went to paper charts for a few months while shopping around for other EHR systems. I randomly got a Google ad for Modernizing Medicine while writing my email and decided to check them out. When I clicked on their ad, they were advertising for their ophthalmology app, but had not released it yet. A few months later, I looked again, and found that they had just released their ophthalmology app and that they were Meaningful Use certified. I signed up with them a few weeks later and have been with them for the past 6 months. I was up and running just in time for the last attestation period for Meaningful Use for 2012 (October 2012). The company has been great to work with. The EHR to PM system bridge was completed within a few weeks. The online training was great and timely (we fit the sessions within a month and this gave me time to spare for going online in time for October 2012). Customer service has also been wonderful. They are continually making improvements. The system is easy to use, and it comes packaged with impressions/plans that is already great. The time-saving program that makes most accessible the most common impressions/plans that you choose is really time-saving. I also love how it is "customizable" on the fly. If you don't like one of the pre-programmed items, you change it and it is saved for the next patient with the same presentation. I am most impressed with their native iPad app. To me, it is the biggest selling point of Modernizing Medicine. When I signed up with Modernizing Medicine, they were, as far as I knew, the only cloud-based EHR with a native iPad app. The only other company with a native iPad app was one which was apparently pretty expensive and also required me to purchase an in-house server (another huge expense). As a note, if you are in the market for an EHR in which you can use an iPad, don't be tricked by other companies which claim that you can use the iPad to navigate their program. Most of them use a remote desktop program in which the iPad is essentially mirroring the screen from a separate Microsoft Windows computer in your office (a former colleague of mine was duped this way). It is slow, because you are running the EHR 'secondhand,' and the iPad touch interface was never made to navigate through Microsoft Windows. If you see an ad from another company that shows an iPad with a screenshot that looks like a Microsoft Windows window, be wary! The iPad interface of Modernizing Medicine is very easy to use (and easy to learn) and saves me a lot of time. With my previous EHR, it was still inconvenient to lug around a laptop from room to room or from a room to a table surface to use the mouse and keyboard to fill out charts. With EMA (Modernizing Medicine), I can fill out charts while I walk from room to room between patients. Electronic prescriptions are sent right through the app. I have one iPad for myself, and one for my tech. My staff love the program. One of my iPads has a cellular data plan activated - the benefit of this is that it can still operate if the Internet connection in your office is down. I also can take the iPad from hospital to hospital if I need to do an off-site consult. I have given Modernizing Medicine 5 stars in three of the rating categories. I gave 4 stars for the product quality, only because I have encountered bugs even if it is a very high quality product. However, I have never encountered an EHR that does not have bugs (my colleagues all tell me that their EHR systems have bugs). In addition, Modernizing Medicine has been very proactive in addressing bugs and making improvements.
April 7, 2013
Maria R.
Practice Administrator
January 23, 2018

“EMA-Ophthalmology is well-designed for the specialty. It has great functionality & is user friendly.”

OverallEMA-Ophthalmology is a great system and saves trees. Patients are impressed with not having to fill out paperwork, since our technicians update their medical history and current medications while they are dilating. We like not having to store paper records or maintain an expensive server.
ProsThe ModMed customer support is very responsive and professional. EMA's cloud-based design and integration with our practice management system has allowed our practice to be virtually paper-free. It took a bit of effort to get protocols set up to streamline our visit notes, but now it is a big time saver. The e-prescribing function and new office flow features are great. We use the EMA app for iPads primarily, but the web version is also easy to use. I recently attended their annual conference and was thoroughly impressed with the company's sincere interest in user feedback to constantly improve their product.
ConsThere was one time (once in two years) when the system was unavailable for a couple of hours, but we used the "Paper EMA" sheets you can download and print as a back-up until it was restored. The only other negative we have noticed is that it is difficult for the system to bill corneal topography with the correct codes.

By Modernizing Medicine on January 24, 2018
Hi Maria - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback about EMA with us and others. As always, if there's anything our team can assist with please do let us know. Take care! -Alex B. in Marketing
January 23, 2018
Alan G.
Physician, owner
May 15, 2019

“Modernizing Medicine Delivers!”

OverallMod Med has solved the overwhelming need for excellent documentation with the need to be able to see more patients than previously. EMA is phenomenal in this respect. We switched over to their practice management as the same responsiveness of the company is applied to this solution. Great company!
ProsOnce learned, this software has allowed me to increase my productivity by 4X. Seriously, I see 4X more new patients per month than I could previously and the documentation is perfect. Additionally, all patient encounter information is completed by the time the patient walks out of the office. I never have to work on charts after hours and can watch TV or walk the dog after work like normal people do. I have had audits and was told that the documentation is the best they have ever seen. Additionally, it is constantly being updated and requests are almost always integrated into the next build within a few weeks. The company is phenomenally responsive to requests for improvements and tweaks.
ConsThe rapid development pace means new builds every few weeks or months and occasionally a coding error is introduced that requires correction with another new build the next day.

By Modernizing Medicine on May 20, 2019
Good morning Dr. Gorenberg - We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share this valuable feedback with us and those considering our EHR and Practice Management systems. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
May 15, 2019
PATTI C.
PRACTICE MANAGER

“EMA Review”

OverallCoding has increased our efficiency and bottom line.
ProsWe have EMA and MODMED PM , which saves us from bridging the systems. The physicians and staff have enjoyed the ease of the system. We are also happy with the continual updates. We have sent in suggestions for change over the past 2 years and many of those have been implemented. The support has been really helpful as well
ConsThe cost of the program and additional modules is substantial.

By Modernizing Medicine on May 2, 2019
Hi Patti - We're happy to hear that using EMA and our PM system have helped bring efficiency to your practice. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! -Holly A. Clinical Solutions Manager
Bishr A.

“Best Dermatology EMR”

OverallI bought a small dermatology practice and converted a paper practice to EMR- best decision I made because I am efficient, compliant, and can deliver great patient care.
ProsBest dermatology EMR out there, very streamlined and easy to use. I am incredibly happy with my choice because it gives me efficiency, and it has very nice built in capabilities for dermatology. There is also analytics built into it which help you run all kinds of reports including CPT code, diagnosis, referring doctor, patient reports and many others. There is also a practice management system that fully integrates with the EMR so you can have all in one and no need for another. I personally use Kareo which integrates quite well with it. Great support team when you need them.
ConsIt is more costly than other EMRs but you get what you pay for- I would rather pay more for a better product.

By Modernizing Medicine on January 4, 2019
Hello! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to share your honest feedback with us and those considering our EHR, EMA. We're thrilled to hear you have been happy with your decision.
Barry H.
Administrator
May 14, 2019

“Very happy otolaryngology practice!”

OverallMod Med was on our short list of four vendors for evaluation. Two were specialty specific, two were general. 1.5 years into our installation, we are SO GLAD that we selected this system and strategic vendor partner.
ProsDoctors love the iPad device. We absorbed staff attrition because of system efficiencies, now doing the same clinical work with less staff. Practice Management has been a pleasant surprise. We now collect 10% better than with our previous system because of integrated clearing house and point-of-sale merchant services devices.
ConsMod Med is a dynamic company and constantly updating the products. We love that! The frequent updates requires you to keep up with release notes (we don't mind this) and sometimes a new release breaks old features (we don't appreciate this). There's still room for better alpha/beta testing. Additionally, Mod Med needs to enhance ancillary service features (audiology, allergy). We know those changes are on the road map, but we need them.

By Modernizing Medicine on May 20, 2019
Good morning Barry - Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a detailed review with us and other considering our ENT EHR system. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
Linda D.
practice manager
September 13, 2018

“Great EMR product”

ProsModernizing Medicine better known as EMA is by far one of the most user friendly and easy to navigate products on the market. I like the big print and colors that are easy on the eye. Using an EMR daily, 5 days a week requires many hours on your computer or tablet. Modernizing medicine has really taken the time to listen to their users to make a very well rounded product.
ConsWhen in a patient's file it would be helpful to click on the results log within the patient's file. Not have to choose results log, input the patient's name, apply filters and then the pathology appears so I can enter my documentation.

By Modernizing Medicine on September 19, 2018
Hi Linda - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review and some great product feedback as well. I will certainly pass this along to our teams as we love sharing our clients' success stories and areas to improve our products. Glad to have you as part of the Modernizing Medicine family! - Holly, Clinical Solutions Manager
September 13, 2018
Audrey R.
Physician Assistant
September 1, 2017

“Finally a specialty EMR done right!”

OverallOverall excellent software. It might cost more than some of the others but I believe it is worth it and should allow you to see more patients, therefore bring more money in, in the end. I came from working in a derm office using this platform and am now in Plastics and am desperately trying to convert my new practice to EMA Plastics.
ProsThey clearly listen to providers and are constantly making changes to improve their system. It comes with built in counseling, patient education, diagnosis codes, it codes all your office visits/procedures for you, keeps track of global periods, allows before and after image comparison (which is huge for stubborn acne teens), it is user friendly, works across desktops, ipads, iphones, the through the use of protocols, it can make charting go extremely fast!
ConsThere is always room for improvement but overall I can't really say anything that stands out for negatives. It would be nice if some of the standardized features like patient history, patient portal had some customizable features or the ability to rearrange topics for personal workflow, but it's nothing major.
September 1, 2017
Kathy S.
March 31, 2015

“One of the first users”

ProsThe software was easy to implement and fairly easy to learn. The ability to learn in the "sandbox" before going live with real patients was extremely helpful. As with all new programs, there is a learning curve, but based on comments from physicians in our area regarding their EMR programs, Modernizing Medicine was the easiest to learn and the least problematic. The support you receive is excellent. There is always someone to talk to about any problems or questions you may have.
ConsThe main problem we have is we kept our practice management system, which required Modernizing Medicine to create a bridge that allows the demographics to transfer from one program to the other. It only takes a minute; however, when the clinic is very busy, that minute seems more like 5. As far as the vendor, I can't think of any negative.
Recommendations to other buyersDo your research to make sure the EMR fits your needs and has the ability to grow and advance for the future demands of medicine. Go to demonstrations and use the program of your top two choices. Take the information of a typical patient from your clinic to practice using the software of both systems. I think you will find that Modernizing Medicine is very easy to use and the data is easy to read. There isn't a perfect product, and we don't live in a perfect world. I think you will find Modernizing Medicine's team is always working to improve the program and prepare for the future.
March 31, 2015
James R.
General Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
May 1, 2019

“Overall great system that only misses on minor features”

OverallEMA has allowed us to cut down on the time that our providers spend entering notes by orders of magnitude over other systems we have tried.
ProsEase of use and functionality. It is only missing a few small features that I think would make things easier. There is no way, for example, for a manager to get ability to view all tasks assigned to all staff members. Only the assigner and assignee can see the task. Additionally, the system does not incorporate "." phrase programming for frequently used phrases.
ConsIt is expensive. Full licenses are relatively high priced and pricing faxing per fax sent puts that feature out of range for most busy practices, including ours.

By Modernizing Medicine on May 2, 2019
Good morning James - Thank you so much for taking the time share your feedback with us and those considering our urology EHR. We will pass along your suggestions as well to our team here. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
Phil M.

“Look No Farther”

OverallAfter using other EMR's, EMA was a dream come true. I wouldn't want to run my practice without it. It is the first system that I found better-and it was FAR better-than paper.
ProsIt was quick and easy to use. I completed the training each evening on my own. The training was excellent and I was very ready to use it well the first day I went live. It got better from there. The program was essentially never down (maybe 15 minutes once in a year). The staff loved the program. They also found it easy to learn and efficient to use. They loved the automation features.
ConsCreating and modifying scheduling templates was complex for our office. Office supply inventory is not yet completed.

By Modernizing Medicine on May 2, 2019
Dr. Mills, thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us and glad the training was beneficial. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
LINDA D.
PRACTICE MANAGER
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
March 14, 2018

“amazing work flow , MIPS usage extremely easy, good customer support”

Overallclear and accurate data to complete a visit with a patient in a timely manner. EMA integrates with our Billing software and make workflow easy daily for staff. The clicks of the system are minimal. From previous EMR's there is no comparison to the function of EMA. Good job to the developers and the continued software updates to improve functionality of the program.
ProsEasy work flow and customer service is fabulous. The program allows easy usage of patients visit information and population of MIPS requirements. Pathology reports, consents and much more is very organized and minimal clicks to function.

By Modernizing Medicine on March 20, 2018
Good morning, Linda - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your positive review and feedback. We will certainly pass this along to our teams as we love sharing our clients' success stories. We're glad to have you as part of the Modernizing Medicine family! -Alex B., Marketing at Modernizing Medicine
March 14, 2018
Tom M.
February 28, 2018

“An EMR that puts the physician and patient first”

ProsSpecialty-specific EMR built that is easy to use and intuitive. Assists with proper ICD-10 coding and use of modifiers. Additional modules for Pathology, Practice Management/Billing, Telemedicine, and MIPS reporting are available as integrated features. A proactive and responsive company that takes provider issues and input seriously.
ConsThe system is designed around an optimal workflow. As with any EMR, office workflows will need to be updated in order to align with the system's capabilities.

By Modernizing Medicine on March 1, 2018
Tom, thank you for taking the time to share your review and for your continued support! -Alex B., Marketing
February 28, 2018
Andrew F.
February 2, 2015

“EMA as a great tool for a multi-location dermatology group. ”

ProsEMA provides a very thorough set of tools with which to chart and track patient visits for Dermatology. It is visually pleasing, robust, easy to teach, and easy to navigate for Doctors and Staff alike. We have found that the software is able to document both routine and unusual visits with similar ease. Great features like "stickiness" make routine tasks increasingly simpler overtime. As a company, EMA offers better than average support for routine problems, usually striving to fix issues quickly after being notified. The software is robust and seldom has availability or speed problems. Constant updates demonstrate Modernizing Medicine's commitment to keeping the software relevant and current, as well as increasing its functionality. Overall, it has been a great tool to support our Medical staff in treating and managing patients. We spent extra time and money to link EMA to our LIS and to our PM systems, and that has provided both great efficiency and higher quality data consistency (meaning less mistakes).
ConsBecause the software is web-based and centralized, it is not always suitable to unique needs or special requests of any specific practice. That said, most of our needs have been addressed within the software.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are a dermatology practice I do not think you can go wrong with EMA. It is a solid product which will easily address all your charting needs. You may want to choose a PM that works well with it and implement them simultaneously for the most efficiency.
February 2, 2015
Caryn D.
Physician Assistant
May 14, 2018

“Good Experience”

Prosgood interface, works well for specialties- dermatology/orthopedics/ophthalmology, very detailed, easy to use,
Consdoes not interface super easily with payment system, have to click around a lot to get to where you want

By Modernizing Medicine on May 24, 2018
Thank you Caryn for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and others considering our product. We would recommend taking advantage of the feature release webinars which are posted on modmed® Central. They include a wealth of information that can help users become more efficient. Topics range from ePrescribing, to the Virtual Exam Room and updates to Previous Findings just to name a few. If you ever need additional assistance, our support team can help as well! You can reach out to them at 561.880.2998 x2 or support@modmed.com. Have a great week! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
May 14, 2018
June 18, 2019

“Absolute best EHR System for Specialties”

OverallThe easiest EHR system I have ever used and very applicable to the specific specialty (at least from mt experience-- Dermatology)
ProsThis software is very user friendly, easy to learn, easy to use and saves A LOT of time for the doctor/provider or medical assistants/scribes.
ConsMore customization features specifically for one's practice would be nice however it is a stand out product as is

By Modernizing Medicine on June 19, 2019
We so appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and those considering our EHR system. Thank you! - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
June 18, 2019
Mark M.
Doctor of Nursing Practice

“EMR Heaven”

ProsA dream product! Makes other EMRs look like a mechanical typewriter EASY to use, makes charting a joy, fact and accurate. rare down times, made for the provider, billing PM system works well A providers dream come true can use on Laptop or IPAD Simple and easy to customize
ConsThey do not have for primary care yet It does not read my thoughts yet.

By Modernizing Medicine on May 2, 2019
Hi Mark - We're so glad to hear about your positive experience with our EHR and PM systems. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
Charity A.
Practice Manager
April 18, 2019

“The schedule is development's redheaded stepchild”

OverallEMA is robust, and the PM system has come a long way in the past few years. Medical documentation is vital (EMA), and the billing portion of the PM has understandably received more attention and more advancement than the scheduling portion. Hence my title.
ProsIntegration with Relatient for appointment confirmations
ConsThe list is long, but here are a few highlights: -Desperately need permissions granularity by user and by appt category (preference group). -When an account is inactivated users are still able to set appts. Not ok. Inactivating an account should disable it from a scheduling perspective. -As an administrator I'm spending way too much time changing the templating daily. The templating is simplistic and clunky as far as edits to existing template. Needs a delete option of "from today's date forward" and not just "delete all" or "delete this single one". -The schedule block feature should be granular; not all users should have that permission. I also need to be able to make recurring blocks, to be able to choose the date in the block window and not have to go to that date in order to block (which if you're in a week view is a PIA), and need to be able to choose a date range. -The schedule grid was not optimally designed for a multi-provider practice that wants to "view all providers here today". Each time I go to the schedule I have to reload every doc. Would like to be able to choose a default schedule that could be user preset that would load with some sort of default button, or at the very least have the system keep the memory sticky of the way I had it loaded when I left that screen. Way too many clicks right now. -Canceling appointments requires too many clicks. -Need a drag and drop feature from one provider's schedule to another.

By Modernizing Medicine on April 23, 2019
Dear Charity - Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us. I have personally shared this with our product teams here for review. Our support team will be reaching out directly to you to assist on several of the items noted. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
April 18, 2019
Loyd G.
Dermatologist
December 30, 2018

“Great EMR”

OverallOverall it is great. Best on market for derm. I am very happy and think it is the best by far for derm.
ProsVery easy to use. Based on an iPad. Very intuitive. Staff likes using it also. Updates are say to get.
ConsCan get pricey. They should not charge for pathology reports but do. Should give more discounts for multiple users.

By Modernizing Medicine on January 11, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback with us and those considering our EHR software. It's greatly appreciated! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
December 30, 2018
Larry F.
Medical Director
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees
July 23, 2019

“EMR for Derm”

OverallI am able to document my interactions with dermatology patients who usually have multiple Chief Complaints and multiple procedures quickly and efficiently
ProsVery user friendly and easy to document lesions and their treatment
ConsFairly expensive and ongoing support is not cheap

By Modernizing Medicine on July 29, 2019
Hi Dr. Feldman - Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your feedback with others considering our EHR system. Glad to have you and ClearlyDerm as part of the Modernizing Medicine family! - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
July 23, 2019
MARY C.
OFFICE MANAGER AND BILLING MANAGER
December 12, 2018

“Very user friendly”

OverallExtremely state of the art as opposed to our previous software. I love it!
Pros Appointment scheduler is wonderful and very easy to follow as well as the appointment finder when scheduling an appointment.
ConsTakes to many steps and clicks to post insurance checks that come in the mail. Should be able to auto allocate.

By Modernizing Medicine on January 4, 2019
Hi Mary - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and others considering our software. Glad you have found the Appointment Scheduler beneficial!
December 12, 2018
Mark G.
Physician/Practice Owner
December 11, 2018

“Best Dermatology EMR out there!!”

OverallWe've used EMA for about eight years and the PM system for 2 1/2 and have been very pleased. They continue to evolve the system making it better every year.
ProsThe best EMR for Dermatology on the market (we've had three) Fully integrated PM, Path and clinical in one system
ConsMeeting meaningful use criteria has made some aspects more cumbersome (a reflection of MU more than ModMed)

By Modernizing Medicine on January 4, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to leave your honest feedback about our EMR and PM software! Glad you have had a positive experience.
Sandra N.
Retiring Office Manager
May 7, 2019

“EMA EHR Feedback”

Overallbeing able to run our quality measures and provide this information to other companies we do business with is very helpful.
ProsIt is easy to use and give great notes for challenging claims denied.
ConsSometimes when updates happen new problems occur and take time to resolve

By Modernizing Medicine on May 8, 2019
Good morning Sandy - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and those considering using our EHR and Practice Management systems and MIPS Advisory Services. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
May 7, 2019
Jeff G.

“EMA vs eCW”

ProsOtolaryngology module specific to our practice is well designed and as changes were needed, they were done in a timely manner
ConsInitially, the PM side of the software was not as good as our prior system, but over time, the updates and changes have improved it greatly

By Modernizing Medicine on May 2, 2019
Hi Dr. Goodell - Glad you and your practice have benefitted from our EHR and PM system. We greatly appreciate you sharing your feedback! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
Erica C.
ARNP
May 12, 2018

“The way EHRs are meant to be ”

ProsMakes chatting a Breeze User friendly, Cuts charting time in half Codes instinctually & will likely get remimbursed
ConsUsed for Specialist in Gastrointestinal & Dermatology Would love it if a system was available for Internal - Functional Medicine

By Modernizing Medicine on June 12, 2018
Hi Erica and thank you so much for your positive feedback and taking the time to share your thoughts. We're so glad to hear about your positive experience! Our EHR system currently serves dermatology, gastroenterology, ophthalmology, orthopedics, otolaryngology, pain management, plastic surgery and urology practices, as well as ambulatory surgery centers. Have a great week! -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
May 12, 2018
betsy b.
MD
May 1, 2019

“Evaluation of Modmed EMA”

OverallHelps with MIPS. I dont think there should be a charge for users to attend a yearly conference to learn more about the system they are paying handsomely for
ProsIt is capable of producing a comprehensive clear note. The ability to access pictures and notes is good .
ConsIt requires technical skills that have outstripped our dedicated older workers capabilities. We have to have younger tech savvy assistants do much of the work including path logs and notes. The notes are too long and the assistants have to spend their time with i-pads in hand instead of physically helping the patients and providers. Our overhead has skyrocketed with more personnel and the increased costs to EMA. We have spent many long hours implementing and training with this system and the charges just keep coming

By Modernizing Medicine on May 6, 2019
Good morning Dr. Beers - We appreciate you sharing your honest feedback with us and have passed along your concerns. modmed Central is a great resource for helpful videos, product updates, etc., and our support team (https://www.modmed.com/support/) is always happy to assist you and your staff. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
Priscilla C.
December 18, 2018

“So easy to use! ”

ProsEverything it's so efficient and constantly being improved. I will think of a way to improve something I submit a ticket and then it's there!!!!
ConsWhen there is a glitch and the wait period for the resolution, it's not usually long but waiting is so hard!

By Modernizing Medicine on January 4, 2019
Thank you so much for sharing your experience in using our EHR system, EMA. We're glad you find the system easy to use.
December 18, 2018
Michele W.
Director of Business Process
Medical Practice, 501-1000 employees

“Life changing ”

ProsEase of documentation, consistencies for standardization, customization options, ease of workflows and maneuvering through the patients chart
ConsLack of ASC capabilities....for now. Downtime issues or plan/protocol breaks when an upgrade is pushed

By Modernizing Medicine on January 4, 2019
Hi Michelle! We really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback and glad you have found documentation in our EMR easy to use.
Jeff W.
June 20, 2013

OverallI practice in a dermatology group with five other physicians and one nurse practitioner. I have been using EMA since October of 2011. Prior to EMA, I was using paper charting. My transition was fairly smooth and painless. After training online and by phone, my staff of one medical assistant/scribe, one LPN, and I practiced with a few live patients before going "live" with all my patients. I have been very satisfied with both the web based and iPad version. Support has been excellent. While I cannot say that EMA has made me quicker or more efficient than I was with paper charting, I can say that it has improved the appearance, readability, and accuracy of my charting. In particular, the pathology and cancer logs have greatly enhanced my ability to track biopsy results and to ensure that patients all receive appropriate care in a timely manner. I find the system intuitive and easy to use. Obtaining meaningful use was not difficult. Modernizing Medicine is constantly working to improve EMA and I look forward to the frequent updates. For my practice, the fact that EMA does not have an integrated practice management system was an advantage. When I adopted EMA, other providers in my group did not want to start at the same time. We were able to keep our old PMS (Provision) and avoid interrupting my partners' patient flow while I was transitioning to EMA. Provision has since built a two way bridge with EMA so that patient and billing information flows between the two systems very well. Now, all but one of our practitioners use EMA to some extent. I am very satisfied and recommend EMA to anyone who wants to use a cloud based EMR.
June 20, 2013
Sue V.
Nurse
3.5/5
April 8, 2015

“RN using the dermatology application since 9/2012”

ProsGreat dermatology software. Customer support is very quick and responsive
ConsPrescription refills are cumbersome to navigate. It is frustrating that they do not show in the patients chart if you ok a RF from the refill tab. Also there is no way to order tests without creating an office visit. It is often that our nursing staff is ordering tests for pts over the phone and we have no way of doing this in EMA, but must "old school" it and write out lab orders by hand.
Recommendations to other buyersHighly recommend having a staff member in your clinic when you go live with this for the first time. We had a very helpful person who was here for the first two days of going live and his help was key in not only a smooth transition from paper to EMA, but he had so many short cuts and helpful charting hints for us that I don't think we would have learned on our own.
April 8, 2015
Matthew H.
January 9, 2013

OverallI have been extremely happy with EMA in all aspects since I started using it over 1 year ago. It is a very intuitive and easy to learn system, and I went from paper charts to EMA so I did not have much electronic medical system experience. That being said, it took our group over 1 year of looking at other various dermatology systems, and Modernizing Medicine just really seemed to be the best fit for our group. The advantages that I find with EMA are numerous, but I will mention a few. First, it is cloud-based, so you do not have to set up an expensive server system or have a lot of internal IT support, which especially if you have multiple offices can get quite costly. Second, you do not have to spend weeks and weeks "setting up" the program - because it was started by a dermatologist it basically knows what most of us typically do and fills it in accordingly from the get go. However, if you do want to change things, it is a very simple thing to do, and it will revert to those changes thereafter unless you tell EMA otherwise. Third, Modernizing Medicine is very customer friendly and they are very good at continuously improving the system and making it even more user friendly. No EHR program will be perfect, but they continue to respond to everyone's comments so they can make the best system possible. There are occasional slow downs in use, but they do not happen very often or long (with the possible exception of after they have done a big updgrade). Overall, I have been very happy using EMA and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone considering an electronic health record system.
January 9, 2013
Sarah G.
Practice Manager
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
May 3, 2019

“Great Product”

Prosuser friendly , good support & robust functionality
Consnot enough information with new updates

By Modernizing Medicine on May 13, 2019
Hi Sarah - Thank you for taking time to leave a review and sharing your feedback. I wanted to share that modmed Central is a great resource where you can access information on product updates and more. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
May 3, 2019
John D.
July 27, 2013

OverallWe are a busy two doc/two esthetician medical and cosmetic derm practice that offers the complete scope of derm services, plus dozens of cosmetic treatments. We switched from our old system to EMA in December 2011, as it clearly was more sophisticated. With the prior system, the doctors had to be word processors, having to free text into notes. Reviewing prior notes/diagnoses was tedious, and no easier than flipping through a paper chart. We launched EMA just before Christmas 2011, after our team completed weekly webinars with a trainer and did homework on the aspects of the software unique to their positions. The implementation was fairly smooth; we had issues with the interface in Advanced MD (billing/scheduling software) that cannot be completely attributed to either company; and the users stumbled on various issues, however, support (voice calls or emails) was very responsive and attentive. Early in 2012 there were issues with crashes of the cloud servers, resulting in no chart access for minutes (rarely hours) at a time. The company was quite response, and since changing from the cloud hosting, we've had stable access to the software for nearly a year. We love EMA. Its easy to use, intuitive, and robust; support is excellent, the company is responsive, and constantly improving the software. It saves us time and improves the quality of our care, hence we are more productive and profitable. The built in PT education features (handout and vDX links) are incredibly helpful. There is no better derm software in my opinion!
July 27, 2013
Linda W.
June 25, 2013

OverallBefore going to the training in Florida, I was skeptical if there could actually be a dermatology compatible EMR. Our small practice (1 doctor and 2 medical assistants) was moving locations and starting fresh after using only paper charts. The 2 medical assistants do everything from patient check in, scribing for the doctor, assisting in procedures, answering phones, check out, and billing. We needed a software that would help, not hinder, our office flow. We have been pleasantly surprised over and over again! Here is why we love EMA and the company that brings it to us. EMA has been developed and continues to be improved by people who use it. This translates into easy-to-use software that works in the real world. Our staff have different comfort levels with computers, but all of us have been able to use EMA proficiently in a short amount of time. EMA makes caring for our patients easier. EMA saves time, freeing us to do the most important thing, taking care of our patients. We often take credit when our patients say "this office is like a well-oiled machine", even though much of our efficiency is due to EMA. When we have a question or a suggestion, the support team at Modernizing Medicine responds quickly. The suggestion process is easy and our suggestions are taken seriously. The improvements that are made are consistently an improvement. Their staff is professional, knowledgeable, and refreshingly kind. I am not someone who likes change, but when it comes to EMA, if something is changing, it means it is only getting better.
June 25, 2013
Alan M.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees

“Best for ophthalmology”

OverallExcellent support
ProsFriendly for non scribe practices. Dual platorm, ipad and web.
ConsNo significant issues. Very happy with program.

By Modernizing Medicine on May 20, 2019
Hi Dr. Malouf - Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us and those considering our ophthalmology EHR. - Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
Kenneth K.
PRESIDENT
November 14, 2017

“3 years of almost daily use with patients”

ProsEASY TO LEARN, LOCATION BASED SOFTWARE MESHES EASILY WITH ICD 10, TOUCH ANATOMICAL LOCATION TO APPRAISE CODING SOFTWARE OF WHERE TO CODE FOR.
ConsMONTHLY COST A LITTLE HIGH, NO REDUCED COST PLAN FOR PART TIME DOCTORS, A LITTLE SLOW DOWNLOADING LARGER FILES SCANNED IN FROM PAPER NOTES
November 14, 2017
Lisa C.
MD

“Love EMA!”

Overallgreat photos MIPS
ProsI like ease of use and ability to customize
ConsI don't like fees for outbound faxing - so I just fax less

By Modernizing Medicine on May 2, 2019
Thank you so much Dr. Christman for sharing your positive feedback with us and others considering our dermatology EHR, EMA. -Holly A., Clinical Solutions Manager
Crystal R.
Billing Spec
June 12, 2017

“Our company has been using EMA since 2012 and it has grown since ”

ProsEase of use of the software, also the company always has webinars for new improvements that come out quarterly.
Conssometimes the whole server may go down and take longer than expected to come back up. This takes time away from the company to put in charges .
June 12, 2017
Vanessa C.
July 6, 2016

“Extremely User-friendly, Highly Intuitive! ”

ProsThe software is well-designed across all platforms (ipad or web). Highly intuitive and highly customizable. The software learns the provider's most commonly used diagnosis codes and plans and puts them at the top for easy selection. Extremely accurate billing and coding conversion that integrates well with our Practice management system.
ConsNothing really, but would like to see more functionality on the scheduler.
Recommendations to other buyersThe software is designed to help the providers record patient encounters with ease and accuracy in the amount of time that does not interfere with patient care. Despite the simplicity of the design, this software is an extremely powerful tool and does an amazing job at capturing every aspect of patient care.
July 6, 2016
Gib W.
IT Director
Medical Practice, 201-500 employees
December 17, 2018

“GREAT product!”

OverallBest of bread
ProsSupport Feature rich updates monthly Genuinely research needs to add to the product Onboarding and training
ConsInterfacing Managing provider custom fields

By Modernizing Medicine on January 4, 2019
Hi Gib - We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our EHR system, EMA, and glad you've had a positive experience at your practice.
December 17, 2018
Kim S.
June 27, 2013

OverallWe are an office that is hard to please when it comes to software, or working with business associates. We want as close to perfection and you can possibly get and don't accept anything less. That is what we have with Modernizing Medicine. We are a high volume dermatology practice of 7 providers. The system we used to use had many issues with it. I was constantly on the phone with their support, that is - when I could get in touch with them. They made promises that rarely were kept. From day one that we started using Modernizing Medicine, we have had a great relationship. The software itself has saved all 7 of our providers so much time. It has made it possible for them to see more patients through out the day and complete notes quicker. What used to take weeks to finalize notes can now be done the same day. It is also very user friendly. We started with Modernizing Medicine approximately 2 years ago. The training was great. We were assigned certain trainers that worked with us until we were ready to go live. They led us through every step and still do. We also like that they are in constant contact with us for updates and anything new with the company or the software itself. The support staff are top notch. Any time we have had questions they were right on it. Very friendly and professional. I would highly recommend this company!
June 27, 2013
Deanna M.
Operations Analyst
February 20, 2018

“Operations Analyst - Urology”

OverallNever Buy this system
ProsThe System looks nice, Training staff was nice and seemed to be very knowledgeable. Other then that, I don't have anything else to say nice about this system.
ConsSales promises you the world but watch out! Poor Implementation, never had a site visit nor did they gather my Interface requirements and when I asked about the requirements, I was told "we have done this 1000 times we know what we are doing", I wasn't given any test environment with working interfaces to our PM system Test Environment to test the interfaces in advance of go live, when I asked for Interface specs, I was told they don't have any and I still do not have them. I argued the point months in advance of Go Live and I was told that if they were to give me a test environment it would delay my go live until 3rd qtr 2018 instead of 1st qtr 2018. Go Live, they decide to upgrade our Production Environment that morning without notifying me, we had blow ups (errors) across 3 locations (80+ users) Since January 15th, I have 90+ issues I've reported to them and 46 issues still open, and the majority of the 46 issues are things that Development has to fix or Interfaces that need to be fixed because they are lacking data such as Date of Death, Our Doctor's Name, No Referring Provider Interface (and they charged me to upload a .csv file so I could have something in the EMR) and more, It's been a nightmare and still is. I wouldn't select this EMR if I had to do it over again because the original quote is low, but then you get hit with we'll it you want that feature you will have to pay X Amount per Month. NIGHTMARE COMPANY to deal with. I can go on and on, but this will have to do. I think you can get of it.

By Modernizing Medicine on February 21, 2018
Hi Deanna - We hear your concerns and our team is committed to helping you with the challenges your practice has been facing. A representative from our company will contact you as soon as possible. - Alex B., Marketing
February 20, 2018
Sonya M.
Doctor
3.5/5
July 27, 2016

“Excellent specialty specific EMR ”

ProsCompany is very responsive when I want to add a procedure. The will build it if on ask for it. The product is specialty specific. The documents makes sense, look like a note I would dictate instead of a bunch of meaningless data. It codes my visits and procedures flawlessly. It is iPad based and I can finish my notes at home or document a patient call at home easily.
ConsAlthough fairly intuitive it does have a learning curve. I feel this is true with any EMR.
Recommendations to other buyersLet them do an online demo for you. The strengths of the product are very quickly evident.
July 27, 2016
Craig Y.
March 9, 2015

“Modernizing Medicine's EMA software”

ProsEMA is easy to start-up and get rolling with. It doesn't require a lot of additional hardware purchasing. The initial training is thorough and flexible based on the client's schedule. EMA's support is prompt, and they have a user-friendly website which is continually updated and contains videos and tips to help in the learning process, including tips for meaningful use and PQRS along with videos regarding software updates.
ConsIn the year we have used EMA, there has been minor issues, which can be expected with any software program, but nothing major enough to list.
Recommendations to other buyersDo your homework and ask lots of questions. Converting to an EMR product can be stressful, and the more knowledgeable you are before you start will reward you later!
March 9, 2015
Michael W.
September 20, 2014

“EMA ophthamology”

OverallA fairly nice EHR. Great summarization of encounter screen and a nice portal that allows patients to input some medical history that populates to the exam. The system organizes the data nicely. The opening screen gives great overviews & makes it easy to see previous encounters. The system is very intuitive & easy to use. The chief complaints are easy to input & the questions asked during HPI relate to the specific chief complaint only. This EHR system has 3 major flaws however: (1) It is unable to load all the previous exam findings (for example previous CD findings will not load) (2) Exam data is often deleted & has to be re-entered even when saved. For example if you are performing a post-op exam on the right eye & save your exam but then later go back & try to enter data for the left eye, the entire exam must be re-entered & repeated. The same is true if you start off doing a non-dilated exam & decide to dilate....then the entire anterior segment exam must be repeated. Most users avoid this by not entering data from the exam screen but instead doing it from the diagnosis/impression screen but of course this would create an incomplete record (it does not have retinal findings like CD included in the exam notes). If they could fix these 2 problems the software could be great!
September 20, 2014
Robin B.
July 11, 2013

OverallI am the front office supervisor for a large dermatology practice, which went live with Modernizing Medicine EMR on October 1, 2012. We have 3 locations and the implementation took about 6 weeks with online webinars for all staff, especially the Medical assistants and providers. We do have super users, which are the clinical manager and providers, who had one on one training sessions. Modernizing medicine sent trainers when we went live, which was a great help. Our providers brought the trainers back a few months into EMA to help further the front office and back office with any loose ends. The support has been very good and the turn around is very efficient. The front office has found our messages are turned around at a much faster rate without charts! The patient gets their answers at a faster pace, and over all it works well. The system is user friendly and very easy to teach. This has been the only EMR system we have implemented, and it being Dermatology specific is wonderful. I highly recommend Modernizing Medicine because we have a different practice management system and we can operate both of them very well together. The benefit of going paperless is amazing and streamlines the front and back office to work together for quality patient care.
July 11, 2013