CANVAS Ratings

Overall

About CANVAS

Through open, usable, cloud-based technologies, Canvas enables easy integration of the content, tools, and services that teachers need and students want. As the most usable, customizable, adaptable, and reliable learning platform (think 99.9% uptime), Canvas is adopted faster and deeper (or, is used in more ways by more users) than any other LMS. So, in the end, investing in 21st century education technology actually makes teaching and learning easier. Learn more about us at www.instructure.com Learn more about CANVAS

Financial Services, 10,001+ employees
August 28, 2019

“A Fantastic Platform for Team/Class Oriented Organization”

OverallCanvas has been a great platform in my career as a student and as an employee. From being able to take quizzes directly on the platform, to getting involved in very thoughtful discussions, Canvas has been something that has facilitated my learning experiences, inside the classroom and in the office. The digitalization of coursework, readings, and writings, has made a positive impact on the environment, and also allows its users to take their work with them wherever they go- as everything is accessible via the mobile app, or through the website on their laptop. This has made the experience absolutely positive for me and those who I have studied and worked with over the years.
ProsCanvas is a software that I have been using for multiple years now, having used it originally in school, and now in college at Georgetown University while also making use of the software's organizational benefits as an Intern at EY. There are a few aspects of this program that stand out to me as being significantly beneficial. Firstly, Canvas, as a platform, is used for connecting users in an organization (class, work project, team, etc.) under one platform. The administrator (boss, professor, team leader) can then publish documents, quizzes, links, and other files so that its users can all view them, without the need for the administrator to send these files to each user individually. Perhaps the largest pro of a software like Canvas is that, on the same platform where files are published and shared with others, users can also engage in blog posts, discussions, Zoom conferences, and more features; all of which allow them to communicate with and learn from each other while also becoming familiar with any material posted by their boss, team leader, or professor. This synergy is what makes canvas special and unique; it is a one-stop-shop for individuals in an organization to parttake in multiple means of learning, all in the same location.
ConsDespite being a phenomenal software platform, perhaps one of its downfalls is that, when using CANVAS in school or in college, the dashboard can get relatively messy. When enrolled in many different classes across different semesters, older classes tend to stay on your dashboard and this can make it difficult to keep your new classes a priority at first glance. While this is easy to edit in your Canvas settings, I personally believe this should be something that the user can edit from the homepage. In addition, it would be a large plus to the aspect of organization if users could customize the menu bar on the left side of the website, to only show the tabs they want to see for each class or project (files, modules, pages, discussions, announcements, grades, etc.)
August 28, 2019
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
August 27, 2019

“Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!”

OverallOverall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.
ProsAs a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day. One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate is the in-app PDF previewer, which saves me from wasting time having to download the file or opening it in a new tab and cluttering my workspace. Just this feature alone was enough to show me that Canvas' developers really had the end-user in mind. One last big net positive I want to mention is the integration with the mobile app. It's great! Notifications show up on time and don't duplicate or perform other wonky stuff. Having a seamless experience between desktop and mobile goes a long towards making students like feel in control of their learning.
ConsWhile there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.
August 27, 2019
Higher Education, 501-1000 employees
February 15, 2019

“Site is satisfactory, app needs work”

ProsI've been a full-time student for the past 10 years and all the institutions that I've been attending have used canvas to post grades and make announcements. I have never had any complaints about the online website. It is easy to customize the main page to see exactly which courses you are in and it gives you the ability to arrange them in the order that you see fit, with your most important classes place in the more visible areas of the website. On the right side of the page there is an announcement bar where updates from your professors are easily seen and any new grades that have been posted are showing as well. Canvas also gives the professors the ability to organize students into groups for certain projects and also too give quizzes and tests. Professors also can upload PowerPoints, handouts, and other sources of material, which are easily downloaded through the website which automatically packs all the files, if multiple, into a zip file for your convenience. Overall, I've had a good experience with canvas and I would recommend it to institutions that are looking for a reliable, convenient way to communicate to students and facilitate courses online.
ConsI don't really have any negative things to say about the software itself. The only issues that I have had are with the app, which I have used both on Android and Apple devices. When clicking on pop-up notifications for new grades being posted or sometimes other announcements, the app opens but it does not take you to the desired notification. When faced with a blank screen, you need to restart the app and manually go to where the notification was trying to direct you.
February 15, 2019
Joshua C.
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
January 8, 2019

“A Revolutionary Aid to Learning”

ProsI have used canvas at both my previous college and my current one which I transferred to, for both classes which were taken entirely on the platform (online classes) and classes where it was used as an aid. The ability to see an up to date schedule for your classes, contact instructors, revisit old modules, submit assignments online, view and respond to instructor feedback... It's completely changed the game. It's become an intrinsic part of my routine to check canvas everyday. You can also customize what alerts you want to see, so if your instructor gives you feedback or sends an alert out you can get an email straight away. The app is also fantastic and very convenient! If you're an instructor and you don't use canvas, I worry that I won't be able to see important changes in time. Plus, feedback is relegated to the old fashioned, penciled in way of the early 2000s. We're better than that now, in no small part due to Canvas, which has genuinely revolutionized the medium learning takes.
ConsThere was one brief time this year where they pushed an update that made it so one of my instructors would see some error message when they clicked on my file submission, even though they were able to successfully download the file. They patched that quickly! Overall, it turns of lasting cons, canvas has tried very hard to become irreplaceable, and they've succeeded. My only problem is when instructors aren't tech oriented, and so don't understand how to set up a course shell, but that's not canvas' fault.
January 8, 2019
Higher Education, 11-50 employees
January 2, 2019

“College course management program for students, faculty, and staff”

ProsAfter my university switched over to Canvas as the preferred course management software, I was happy to finally have a user-friendly interface to work with. The menu is not cluttered and all tabs and icons are easy to find. One of the main advantages of Canvas is the ability to easily sync a school email account and get live notifications when items and assignments are posted. Professors can also setup calendars that help remind students of exam, project, and homework due dates. Students can also setup discussions or threads within their respective courses, which is useful when a lot of students have a similar question. Saves the professor time from having to answer 50 emails about the same question.
ConsThe notification system, both as a student and professor, is not the most efficient system. Canvas is meant to have a built-in emailing program. This creates a lot of confusion when students send messages via Canvas (which is linked to a school email account) and separately send messages directly from their school email. I've encountered times where it was not clear how to send a message directly to particular member of the course, and ended up emailing the entire class by accident. Professors often alternate between general email notifications and "Dashboard" notifications within Canvas. It makes it confusing for students as to where exactly to look for course related information. I find this lack of streamlining for notifications to be the biggest drawback.
January 2, 2019
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
October 11, 2018

“Has its limits, but still the best out there”

OverallThere is a paid version that you can do too. It's very expensive, and we found it still didn't quite meet our needs. For universities it probably would do the trick, but if you're a small education program, stick with Free for Teacher. Even with its little hassles, Canvas is still the best online classroom you can find out there.
ProsWe use the Free for Teacher edition. When it comes to setting up courses, having assignments, files, students, deadlines, and grades set up, it's pretty simple. Not a lot of trouble getting things put together. You can integrate videos, there's a conference capability called Big Blue Button that allows all the members of the course to video in with each other and you can share screen and everything. It has been a big help allowing our students to have a portal to do their assignments, and connect with everyone in the class.
ConsOne of the nuances to Canvas that is difficult is limiting what teachers can see. By that I mean we have two different types of courses that we run. One is an individual cohort of a few students and a director. The only way to make these closed down to just these members is to create a duplicate of the course and put those members in. Not a terrible thing, but then the courses start to stack up with all the different cohorts you have going. Plus, there's not really a way to have any updates filter down into all the same semester courses. So if we want to make an update on Semester 1, we have to go into each individual course and update it. There's also no way to update deadlines when you copy a course. So I have to change every assignment's due date so it fits in the new semester's timeline. The other kind of course that we have is an open course that anyone can jump into, and then we assign a TA to grade certain students. The problem with this is that there's no way to limit the TA's view of who is in the course. So it shows them that there are dozens of students' work that needs to be graded in their To-Do List and makes it difficult for them to know when their assigned students have actually submitted anything. Haven't been able to find a work around for this yet.
October 11, 2018
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
November 24, 2017

“It's ease of use, mobile experience, and ease of administration outweigh the features it lacks.”

OverallWe are able to get detailed analytics on use not only from our students but from our instructors. We are able to build customizations utilizing the API. We are now in a hosted solution with a beta server, test server and production server that is maintained and updated every week or 3 weeks depending on the server.
ProsCanvas from an administrator side is incredibly easy to work with. Installing addons takes just seconds in comparison to the fear I experienced in installing anything in Blackboard, and the confusion I experienced trying to set anything up in D2L. One of the deciding factors in moving forward with Canvas was ease of use for our faculty and students. If Canvas was not easy to use our transition would have been near impossible. It's mobile app is excellent for students and they are in the middle of improving their faculty mobile app now. They have an incredible Community that has asked most of the questions you have and someone has provided the answer you're looking for. There are also folks that create customizations and share those with everyone to help improve your workflows. They also let you in on the development process and share with your their progress and let you beta test things for them. I love having a beta server, test server and production server to work with that is always up to date. Lots to love about Canvas.
ConsThere are some features that are lacking from Canvas that we are attempting to work around or build customizations for. 1. Set Discussion boards to need grading after x number of posts. Right now it says it needs to be graded after the first post and will not notify the instructor once they have submitted the required amount of posts. This isn't as big of an issue when there are due dates but a majority of our courses do not have due dates. 2. It's Outcomes capabilities are lacking. They have plans to improve on this but it may be awhile. 3. They are releasing a new quizzing tool in 2018 which we are excited for but are worried about how we will need to go about migrating quizzes.
November 24, 2017
Eduardo P.
QA
E-Learning, 201-500 employees
August 9, 2019

“Canvas Review”

OverallOverall, using Canvas both as a user and as a tester within a development environment has been a pleasure. I would recommend any educational institutions or organizations that aren't using it to make the switch. It is a great tool.
ProsThis software is great for keeping courses all in one place and adds easy communication between instructors and students. As well as communication between students themselves is easy and straightforward. Being able to have quizes, assignments, and anything else from the course on Canvas makes it neat and organized. Also, the customization within the app makes it great for unique use cases.
ConsRecently I was having an issue with a footer banner when testing in "student view". The banner sits on top of some of the navigation buttons from the left side and therefore hides them. I used to be able to double click on it to hide the banner, but a recent update makes it so that additional steps have to be taken to hide this banner. It has made it inconvenient to click on the button that I need to access from the navigation bar.
August 9, 2019
Debra W.
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
July 18, 2019

“Canvas User”

OverallOverall wonderful product! I will be upgrading to the pro/paid version very soon myself.
ProsI have my own business in addition to a full-time Revenue Cycle Manager position with a large company. I am very happy to have discovered Canvas. I started out with what can be done for free online, having not a lot of money to spend as a start up. I could not have been more pleased! They have so many templates and specifics that you can create. From business cards to posters to flyers. They have great options within the free (something that you do not always see) for font types and size and colors to choose from.
ConsThe one thing that I had trouble with, to this day is how to create without a template. For example, If I want a plain background and add simple text. You cannot do it (that I have seen) without using something that doesn't fit for what you are doing and working with it to create. For example, I would have to choose a poster or business card but tweek to what I wanted. I have seen other software, that let you start from scratch to make what you want without a defined template. It would be great if Canvas would do that too.
July 18, 2019
Burcu K.
Administrator
February 26, 2019

“Canvas - more pliable than you think”

OverallIf administrators would like to get the most out of Canvas they have to "think outside the box"; otherwise it can get quite dull and tiresome for their users. Overall I think it is a good software which has a lot of potential. A simple Google search revealed that many administrators like myself looked for similar additional features/options on various forums online; so I wish that the above mentioned options -and many more-could actually be integrated into Canvas by the creators for ease of use for the consumers.
ProsPeople may define Canvas as "clunky" and "not very intuitive". I would agree that you need to "learn" how Canvas works, rather than quickly "figuring it out". I personally use Canvas not for a specific "Unit of Study" but as a platform to share information & news, and communicate with among a large group of students who do not get together in a classroom. So far it has been successful. Students seem to enjoy it and I can view usage stats to see how many pages have been viewed by which student, which is great information. The fact that it accepts HTML code made it possible for me to integrate photo slideshows and 3-d interactive photos onto my pages. I used other free software available online to create them and simply embedded into my HTML code. I do not think most users are aware of these possibilities.
ConsCanvas has its own language which does not apply to all needs. "Pages" and "Modules", "Unit of Study" lose their meaning when Canvas is used as communication platform like I use it. I wish these "names" could be changed by the user. Another thing that most users find a bit frustrating is the way "Modules" are displayed on one page as a list; and the constant need to scroll down to find what the user is looking for. Since this page does not really lend itself to "zjeujing up", it may look tedious for users.
February 26, 2019
Shirimpaka J.
Data Quality Analyst
Research, 51-200 employees

“Canvas functionality evaluation”

OverallAs I was working in the academic institution, we had to use Canvas and the only way the teacher can communicate to the student and vice versa. It is where the teachers create courses, post all courses related materials and also the students get access to the courses as well as quizzes and assignments.
ProsI was using this tool when I was working at Kepler and I was a Canvas administrator. The way the teacher can create the course and share with the students as well as the coleague collaborators is very impressive. Also I liked the way the courses are graded and so, the students are getting their results as well as comments. I also liked the way the company may create some functionalities for itself and incorporate in canvas for better usage. It is also a good tool for students' progress management while connecting it with the external tools (Blue, etc..).
ConsThe tool itself is really good and its usage in incredible. The only weak point comes in when it requires to contact the customer support. I remember the time we had to ask about the competencies which were not upgraded themselves as it used to be, and we contacted the customer support. We had waited for some months to get responded. So, that was very discouraging for us who wanted the immediate response to move forward.
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
September 27, 2019

“Canvas is the clear winner over Blackboard”

OverallWe are now able to do gradebooks much more rapidly - in terms of initial setup, and also we can maintain records in new ways since there are multiple analytical tools available on Canvas that weren't there in Blackboard (before it was "mean, median, mode" and now we have a full range available)
ProsEmail functionality is improved, since you can send and receive for all courses you teach through a single dashboard, as opposed to Blackboard, where you have to sign in to each course separately in order to do so. Saves time, effort, and allows more freedom of use since the iPhone app is as speedy as the desktop program.
ConsNot necessarily about the program itself, since it is the site administrators that determine what the links for each course will be, but if it is not planned well, there can be a lot of redundant links (topics linked on the left side of the page as main headers/folders).
Jason H.
Manager of Academic Enterprise Systems
November 3, 2016

“Canvas - An Admin's Dream Come True”

OverallAs the Learning Management System Admin for Utah Valley University, managing the use of Canvas can be challenging, but in a really good way. Whenever I run into a problem, I can usually find the answer and deploy a solution very quickly. Instructure provides a dedicated Customer Success Manager who meets with us regularly, a robust case management system, and an extremely helpful community engagement platform. Canvas is updated regularly to stay fresh on new technologies, features, and bug fixes. It's really fun to manage this system and have so much buy-in from faculty. Canvas is also on the leading edge with 3rd party integrations, data analytics, and cross-platform compatibility.
ProsCanvas is always available. Teachers and students rarely suffer from any down time, if ever. Even with the regular updates of the platform (every 3 weeks), there is no significant downtime. The integration with our Student Information System is really good, but will soon be even better.
ConsI wish Instructure would value the opinions of an institution's Canvas Admin over instructors. Instructors tend to not stay up to speed with an institution's policies, new government regulation, or plain common sense in some cases. There are a few specific tools that would make an admin's life much easier... like this feature idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/7301
Recommendations to other buyersIf you're a new Canvas Admin, understand everything you can about SIS Imports, .csv files, roles & permissions, sub-accounts, and your institution's policies. Then take a look at using APIs when you're comfortable.
November 3, 2016
Jeramy C.
Psychology and Technology Instructor
December 21, 2018

“Stable, easy to use, and performs like a champ!”

OverallCanvas is the LMS used by my University. As an instructor, I have had the opportunity to use the softweare for about 5 years. I have also completed a degree in an online program using the tool. I have always found it to be very reliable; most challenges I have incountered have been user error and not often software error. There are many add ons to customize the software and it is pretty easy and straight forward in terms of user for both faculty and student.
ProsVery stable and reliable. In 5 years of using the software, there are just a few times I can recall that there have been some downtime; and never more than a shot period. Canvas is a standard among universitites, and students are able to quickly learn how to use the tool and submit their coursework. They also have stellar support, 24/7. The challenges I have encourtered has been more in terms of o
ConsThere are some things that could be enganced in terms of features to make the tool even better. As Canvas is a large company, suggestions for new features goes to a board and the community votes and considerations are based on how much support from the community board. While a good way to reach people, I suspoect most people do not take the time to visit this board and read throyugh suggestions to make recomendations. Seems like they could get more info from user based focus groups who could lend insights on new features and enhancements.
December 21, 2018
Diego G.
Staff Writer
Media Production, 11-50 employees
September 17, 2019

“The way to go in Education communication”

OverallThe upgrade from Blackboard was definitely worth it. The platform is easy on the eyes, easy to use and overall feels modern and keeps up with how a school communication system should work. Top marks for their mobile app.
ProsI used Blackboard for years at school and always thought it was antiquated and overall clunky. After my current school switched to Canvas, it has been a big step forward. The organization of courses is more customizable and intuitive. File uploads, messaging and the UI are all top notch and make it for a pleasant experience. Their mobile app version is also extremely handy and works just as good as the web version. I find that notifications on the mobile app are excellent and help me stay on top of everything. Their calendar and reminder system is also a life saver when you want a little extra help in getting through your coursework without procrastinating.
ConsI haven't found anything I don't like so far about Canvas. While I haven't personally found this to be an issue, feedback from peers has made me realize if you have a large number of courses, the dashboard can get a bit overwhelming. However, this is definitely customizable.
September 17, 2019
Sean S.
Civil Engineering, 10,001+ employees
September 16, 2019

“A great online platform for all educational needs”

OverallWhenever I have used Canvas in a course with a professor who at least has a basic understanding of using computers, I have found that it is a very seamless incorporation into the class and is incredibly helpful from a student standpoint. I am always very happy when a teacher decides to really devote a lot of time to making their canvas page well-designed and makes it a necessary part of being in the class. I find that Canvas has aided my learning experience through my 5 years of an engineering degree and I'm very glad that it's been a tool that Colorado State University decided to utilize.
ProsI have found Canvas to be incredibly helpful when it comes to managing my courses, being able to quickly look up assignments, and being able to track grades and calculate theoretical test scores to see how much time I should devote to studying. The system has been very reliable for my entire college experience and I have rarely run into any technical difficulties.
ConsI have found that some of my professors who are not as tech-savvy have, at times, had a difficult time navigating Canvas and using it properly. This has affected me as a student because sometimes the Canvas page for a course may be almost completely empty because the professor didn't want to take the time to do it properly. This is an irritation because then I have no form of online grade checking and final grade calculations can be much less certain.
September 16, 2019
Benjamin d.
General Councillor
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
October 14, 2019

“Great Software for Organizing and Collaborating in Courses and Workgroups”

OverallI have had a surprisingly pleasant experience with Canvas. I had halfway expected the universities software to be somewhat archaic, but Canvas has been a pleasure to use. I can find all the information that I need about my courses, upload assignments, contact people, reference back to courses I took in the past. Very good!
ProsCanvas is quite easy to use for a program that needs to have all the functionality a university requires. The interface functions intuitively, with visual elements such as a grid of cards for the different courses I am following. I can find all the information and documents I need regarding a course, such as powerpoint files and due dates for assignments. In the groups section I can find all my fellow classmates, as well as contact my instructor. In this way, all the information a student could need regarding course content, process and people are stored in a sensible manner in one single application.
ConsAn issue that I have experienced multiple times is that it can be hard to find contact a person when they are not officially in one of your workgroups or courses. For instance, at times I had to ask something of a substitute teacher, or contact a classmate that joined the group at a later time and thus wasn't formally in the same workgroup. But because the system only allows you to contact people that you share a group with, I could not contact these people in this way, and had to find their details on the website of the university.
October 14, 2019
Publishing, 11-50 employees
July 23, 2019

“Canvas: College Master Software”

OverallI used Canvas throughout my entire college career, as my university implemented it in nearly every class curriculum. Though I was just one user in a sea of thousands, Canvas made my collegiate experience much easier, as I didn't have to slog through harsh weather or schedule rushed appointments to meet my professors-I could just check online or send them a message I knew they'd see. Would recommend for any college professor (as long as you're consistent with its use).
Pros Canvas allows professors and students to create, upload, edit, and discuss academic assignments and projects with ease. It's almost like a social media profile-you can chat with other students and ask your professors questions, even while you're at home. You can upload assignments through the Internet and reference rubrics and the syllabus. Group projects become significantly easier, because everyone can be assigned specific roles to complete. Canvas removes the need for finding a time and place that works for everyone-just plug in a deadline and the rubric and you're good to go.
ConsThe only issue I have with Canvas is that it relies entirely on user input. If you use Canvas for every class, but one professor decides not to upload the syllabus, then you cannot reference it and might be out of luck over the weekend. Consistency is the key to Canvas's success.
July 23, 2019
E-Learning, Self-employed
June 13, 2019

“Makes school work more digestible, easy, and interactive”

OverallMy experience with canvas has been positive. Canvas is a tool for the student and teacher, and it should be used as such. It has saved me time and stress for years!
ProsI have been using Canvas since high school. I am going to be a senior in college this upcoming fall and I still use it. Canvas is a reliable way to take quizzes, exams, and even complete activities. I have taken several full online classes that only use canvas a resource. With that said, canvas helps relieve some of the stressors that come along with being a student, and I'm thankful for that.
ConsThe calendar app could be tweaked a little. It is a little overwhelming looking at the calendar when its consumed by the events in every one of my five classes at once.
June 13, 2019
E-Learning, Self-employed
August 15, 2019

“Intuitive and Functional”

ProsUnlike other LMS software, Canvas brings you into the fold with an intuitive, customizable dashboard and practical features. Each course is its own hub, with modules easy to navigate. Instructors are able to integrate items like quizzes and media in a user-friendly way, and the application is very mobile-compatible.
ConsThe discussion post notification system could use some work, with more filters to customize what you do and don't want to see.
August 15, 2019
Neal D.
Technology Teaching Associate
March 20, 2018

“The best software to check grades and assignments”

OverallI can check my grades easily. I can also see what is due with the calendar option and plan out my week. I love how you can view all your classes and see your previous classes. I can look and download my teachers syllabus multiple times (because we students always delete that). I can also test my grades to see what the lowest grade I can obtain to keep my desired grade(A):)
ProsLove this software so much. I can see all my classes that I am currently taking and have taken already. The calendar view lets you know which assignments are coming up and when they are due. You can click on a class page and information will be provided to you as organized by the teacher. I always look at handouts and in class presentation PowerPoints. The teacher can also make quizzes online and timed/ un-timed. You can see how you are doing in the class and calculate your predicted grade easily. I love how I can see what the lowest grade I can get from an assignment to obtain a desired letter grade.
ConsThere is a learning curve with this software. Sometimes when I look up my school's canvas it takes me to a broken canvas login screen. Teachers often complain how they are limited to how they can customize their canvas page. Each teacher also does their canvas page slightly different so it takes some getting used to.
SARAH H.
Clinical Lab Specialist
March 14, 2018

“Successful student planning ”

OverallEasy acess to my school courses which provided an overall better experience.
ProsI like being able to see all of my classes at a glance. It is easy to see where I stand in each course, what assignments are due next, updates from class discussions ect. I feel more involved with my classes because I can see what is being updated immediately. I enjoy the discussion features often used by professors. These discussions keep your mind on the subjects currently being worked on, so they stay fresh in your mind. All contact information for your classmates is available through the app, which is nice for when you need to borrow notes or schedule study groups. The calendar available is usually easily accessible, and contains all the important dates for the semester. I am constantly referencing the app to make sure that I have completed everything I need to, that there haven't been any new updates, and that I am aware of all upcoming tests and assignments.
ConsObviously the efficacy of the software depends on the diligence of the professors and administrators inputting information into it. On a tech level, it is very well designed. I have only noticed a few times that the app has been down, or that a certain feature isn't working.
March 14, 2018
Higher Education, 51-200 employees
May 22, 2019

“Don't look anywhere else”

ProsIf you've got the right people, it's hard to go wrong. Let's be clear...Instructure has the best people in the LMS industry. The software just works and the team at Instructure is a natural extension of my team. Canvas just works and I do not have to worry about issues. In the rare occasion there is a problem, the team is on it by the time I notice it.
ConsThey are #1 in the LMS industry now. The concern is that development may be slowing because they have beaten everyone. It would be good to see more significant developments/new features soon as a sign they do not intend on sitting still.
May 22, 2019
March 3, 2019

“Customizable Automation for education”

OverallThe student and teacher relationship is strengthened and there is less barriers to seek assistance, improving student performance and teacher morale with less time grading things that have the capability of being automated. This allows for professors to spend more time helping their students versus doing "busy work".
ProsStudents and teachers can communicate with in Canvas. There is even an option to set in the login page for your institution to show your institutions logo and branding. Multiple choice quizzes can be assigned and tests and be graded automatically to allow the teachers to spend more time with student interaction instead of grading multiple choice exams. Students have expressed delight in the feature of chatting or giving feedback with their professor or classmates for a specific assignment. The easy partnering with Turnitin to check for plagiarism and integration of Pearson and McGraw-Hill makes it possible to cover bases within just Canvas.
ConsCustomer service can be slow to respond. There should be more options for the teachers to write personal notes on assignments that can be chosen to view for just the teacher, or shared with the teacher and student. The mobile app has complaints of not being very smooth.
March 3, 2019
Emily P.
Curriculum Developer

“Great LMS”

ProsThis is going to sound nerdy, but the best part about Canvas is that they care about agile development, and they have a great community of online experts who answer questions and respond to feedback about the LMS. Obviously, Canvas is built for teaching and learning in a school setting, with grades, etc. There are a lot of external integrations that work well, I am glad they have app versions.. the list goes on, but what I like MOST from an expert perspective is the kind of help they make available to users through community.canvaslms.com -- seriously they have done a great job at cultivating a thriving online community of people who want to improve the software for future users.
ConsI wish that they had more functionality for creating dynamic pages. I feel like unless you purchase a package of design tools, they haven't made it easy for the beginning HTML / CSS designer to make courses look and feel awesome without a ton of leg work-- thus, you may see in the community a lot of suggestions of ways to use their HTML guides to make better-looking home pages or other pages. If we are paying for Canvas, I wish it would come with more user-friendly design tools.
Education Management, Self-employed
July 29, 2019

“Goodbye Connect; Hello Canvas!”

OverallIt's more than a pretty facelift. Canvas is the real deal when it comes to next-gen educational platforms. Its graphical UI is stable stakes now and the feature set is only going to get better. So get on board and get your students using the best software available.
ProsI remember using Blackboard nearly 16 years ago and later Connect. I was weary when they said they would be upgrading to Canvas since it was a totally new architecture. But I'm a believer now. I use the Canvas platform everyday to organize classes and check grades. It's been a lifesaver. One feature I feel goes unnoticed by many is the mobile app for Canvas. It is fast and easy to use. I even avoid the desktop browser and use the mobile app as my daily driver.
ConsThe new UI and graphical interface was a little hard to get used to. I was accustomed to the feature packed and dense text screens of Connect but I understand Canvas's design direction. Keep it simple and useful. I realize I didn't use every single feature in Connect but I do miss it when that odd case arises when Canvas doesn't have a text editing or image insertion feature in its message boards, for example. I also hope for better Piazza and WebWork integration.
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
February 12, 2019

“Great for Busy Students”

OverallOverall, I love Canvas. It makes my hectic life as a college student a bit easier every day. The fact that I can get notifications and reminders ensures that no assignments or quizzes are slipping my mind, and the ability to communicate with professors and fellow peers alike has been very helpful.
ProsI love Canvas for multiple reasons. Firstly, I love how clean, simple, and easy to navigate this software is, whether it be on mobile or desktop. I also love how there are features such as a "To-Do" column and a "Dashboard" to use as a main hub. I use the Calendar tab every single day to reference assignments that I need to do, and how to plan for upcoming assignments! I also love that in the Calendar, students are able to add additional events and assignments professors may have mentioned in class or in an Announcement.
ConsWhile software bugs are rare, I have still experienced a few in the past three years I have used Canvas. These bugs always seem to happen at very untimely moments, such as during submission of a large assignment or paper or failure to connect to another software that should work in conjuction with Canvas. However, Canvas is pretty timely in fixing these bugs.
February 12, 2019
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
August 23, 2018

“Clean, easy, and ”

OverallWhile Canvas is not perfect, it is by far the best class organization tool I have used and I can only see it improving from here.
ProsCanvas is by far the best class organization platform I have used as a student. There are so many features, such as a calendar, grading system, discussion system, grouping system, messaging system, announcement system, file system, and more more components implemented in a clean interface for both the desktop site and mobile application, making Canvas feel like a very complete and comprehensive tool. Configuring Canvas is easy, but any snags along the way can be sorted out by contacting Canvas's excellent customer support. So long as a teacher or professor is willing to make good use of Canvas, then the tool will serve as a huge boon to both students and instructors.
ConsA more robust and open grading system would be more useful for determining one's current or final for when teachers or professors implement less traditional grading weights and tactics. While the software is clean, certain features and pages can be convoluted to find. The file browser and downloading files could be improved and made more intuitive.
August 23, 2018
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
July 25, 2019

“Canvas”

OverallThe calendar feature of Canvas helps me tremendously with making sure I stay on time and on task. This allows me to look ahead to future assignments and ensure I was always ahead.
ProsAs a student, I find Canvas to be very user-friendly. This is a great way to stay in contact with classmates and professors and how to easy find your assigned tasks for the week from your professors.
ConsIn some cases, my professor offers assignments to be resubmitted. This can then show after I submit an assignment, it is late, even though I was prompted by the professor to resubmit.
July 25, 2019
Russell T.
Supervisor
Government Administration, 201-500 employees
June 15, 2019

“Canvas is the Reason I Graduated University”

ProsDuring my years at University I used Canvas everyday. It was such a great new tool when I first started and it grew into the best software for school I have ever used. I think that without Canvas my school work would have been harder to do. Canvas was perfect for completing assignments and taking quizzes. Being able to visit previous assignments and get better feedback from professors really enhanced my ability to grasp whatever subject I was studying at the time. I was hesitant at first when my University introduced the idea, but as I got use to how it worked and how the professors utilized the technology I can now safely say Canvas made a very positive impact on my time at school.
ConsI think that Canvas had a few problems in its earlier years, but they really improved. I think that it is important for a software company to recognize that they can keep improving. I do think that the chat function was a bit lack luster. I don't think any students used and we all primarily used google chat/hangout. Maybe Canvas could team up with Google and implement Hangouts into the platform.
June 15, 2019
Ryan S.
Assistant Professor
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
April 13, 2019

“The worst LMS except for all the others”

ProsHaving used Blackboard and D2L in the past, I know how bad LMSes can be. Canvas is by far the best I've ever used, but it definitely has its warts. Favorite features: 1. Creating a quiz with questions is nice because you can stay on the same page the whole time without refreshing every time you want to change something. 2. The gradebook and built-in grade weighting makes it easy for me and students to track grades 3. The grade "what-if" calculator for students is great. 4. Analytics makes it easy to track who is keeping up to date in the class and who is not. 5. Quiz question analytics makes it easy to tell what questions are good and what needs work. 6. Having a decent phone/tablet app is nice for me as an intructor and for students.
Cons1. Sometimes it's hard to tell if something is published or set to be published. Especially when I end up working on the same thing in multiple browser windows, I sometimes leave a module or quiz unpublished that should be open. It would be nice if feedback for that was more obvious. 2. Quiz banks are hard to find, and a little annoying to work with. 3. The Inbox could use some updates. It's nice that the feature is there, but it's a lot of clicks to send the message where you want it to go.
April 13, 2019
Julie O.
Associate Professor
September 14, 2019

“Canvas Convert”

OverallFor me, the positives outweigh the negatives. I like being able to choose and customize the course homepage. Customization is easy and intuitive. For example, you can to use a page or module format for your course. Linking and embedding files, videos, and images is straightforward. In regards to images, Canvas has a built in Flickr tool that gives you free access to a large image database. The Canvas Commons Q&A area has information that has been able to answer almost all of my questions. As indicated earlier, the gradebook issue is an annoyance but that's all it is. I actually look forward to learning what else I can create with this LMS.
ProsThe educational institutions I'd taught at for the past 17 years both used BlackBoard. I have about 1 month of experience using Canvas. With I that in mind, the biggest benefit is the intuitive Canvas of the interface. Compared to BlackBoard, you don't have to go through as many steps to accomplish your goal. Whether it's creating file or another course page, it's easy to do.
ConsThe gradebook needs improvement. Here's why. I give a fair number of assignments in class that are paper and pencil or outside of the Canvas environment. In BlackBoard I could go to the gradebook, create a column for the assignment and start entering grades. In Canvas you have to create an assignment in order to create a new gradebook column. It's an unnecessary extra step.
September 14, 2019
Jessica G.
Full-time student
Education Management, Self-employed
November 28, 2018

“Keep me in check”

OverallOverall i think Canvas should be used everywhere. I have heard of other programs like Blackboard but I would prefer Canvas
ProsI love canvas and using it for school. I like being able to see what assignments I have and when they are due. I also really like being able to mess around with the "Grade" tab and put in different grades for my assignments and see what my final grade would be. It is easy to submit assignments and resubmit and have never had problems of Canvas shutting down on me in the middle of a test of quiz.
ConsTheres is an occasional rare glitch with the program that maybe some things I delete from the to-do list will still appear when I log in again later in the day but it eventually goes away. The only problem with Canvas that isn't really their fault is that it depends on the professor you have and how familiar they are with the program. I can have a professor that will post all assignments and files that I will need for the day and others who will do things one at a time and not give me an accurate reading as to what my final grade would be at the end of the year.
November 28, 2018
Loran P.
Teacher
Education Management, 201-500 employees
October 4, 2018

“Canvas Learning Management System”

ProsThere are a lot of great features about Canvas, and you have the ability to add your own personal flair to your class homepages and things of that nature. It's also a platform that my students are familiar with and have ease while using. For my school district, it is a common LMS that we have throughout the entire district, so students come to the high school having used Canvas since they were in elementary school. I like Canvas overall, but I still have a lot to learn.
ConsThe biggest con for me is that I cannot connect my Google Drive to my Canvas. I heard rumors that there may be a way to do this, but I have not studied that out yet. I would like to be able to upload Google Docs and Google Slides and the like to my assignments or home pages without having to download the document and then upload it to the Canvas assignment or files portion of my Canvas page. I also wish that personalization was a little simpler to do. It would be nice if there were different layouts to choose from or something like that. I am all for creativity and personalization.
October 4, 2018
Hans T.
System Administrator
Higher Education, 10,001+ employees
September 10, 2019

“A MUST HAVE collaboration tool!”

OverallThis app has been the most powerful tool in our institution in engaging the students, and saving papers/tress for the environment too.
ProsOur institution have been using Canvas very heavily, and found it extremely intuitive. The best thing about it is the powerful collaboration and the discussion tool within this type of portal. I have seen that students who are shy in lecture classrooms, but end up participating very heavily in discussion in Canvas. The availability in mobile platform making learning very continuous and exciting. The students can also upload docs, sheets, slides into Canvas portal to submit assignments. We recently have started to use it outside the education realm, such as staff training, performance review and project collaborations, due to its simplicity, friendly, robust and powerful communication tool. Extremely little downtime also add to the pros of this application/portal in terms of stability.
ConsNothing so far but perhaps integration to other collaboration tools (such as GoToMeeting, Webex) will be much helpful ..
September 10, 2019
Stanley Y.
Biotechnology, Self-employed
September 7, 2019

“How Canvas has kept me to date on classes and assignments”

ProsI love how easy to use Canvas is. Canvas has a calendar that shows all assignments that have ever been assigned in a format where you could see what's due that week or day. It also states when exams are, which is helpful when you're a busy college student trying to keep up with your course load. I like how you can change your grade to see what you'll end up getting in the class, and I like how the quizzes save if you must leave for awhile. It's so much more easier to use than eCommons, the old system our school used before we transitioned to 100% Canvas.
ConsIt was difficult for me to navigate around to change the formatting of the classes displayed. For awhile, I had no clue how to revert it until near the end of the year. Also, canvas notifications usually get sent to me late, or not even at all, in regards to professors changing assignment/exam dates/times, and assignment/exam gradings.
September 7, 2019
Blake M.
Director of Information Technology
Education Management, 51-200 employees
July 29, 2019

“This is what an LMS should be!”

OverallWe switched to Canvas when our school went 1:1. This was a key component of the success of our program.
ProsThis LMS has become the hub of my classroom. It holds both students and teachers accountable with complete tracking of assignments.
ConsIt could have better integration with our SIS (FACTS), but I think this is more of an issue with FACTS.
Nuwan Chaminda G.
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Higher Education, 5001-10,000 employees
June 23, 2019

“Ease of use than Blackboard Learn”

OverallIt is very good. And it helps very well to download all classroom materials properly as it provides a folder option. Also, it is great since we can directly comment and have some kind of a chat with a lecturer in charge of the particular course.
ProsIt's easier to use and most importantly it has newly updated functions available. Students can very easily access their classroom materials and it creates a very good outside classroom environment.
ConsSometimes, when uploading the classroom materials, it makes some issues. And students can't access those files. Some lecturers are facing these issues often. They can not put their files in the folders as the system does not allow them to do that even though they have all the administrative rights and all.
June 23, 2019
Morgan C.
Student Manager
Higher Education, Self-employed
December 7, 2018

“Probably better than the alternatives, but could still use work”

OverallOverall, canvas offers a lot of options with a decent user interface. It's not amazing, but it's not terrible. It has a lot of functionality for users who aren't trying to do anything fancy like embed a video into their discussion post or message a classmate.
ProsThere are lots of tools available for both students and professors (both of which I have been). Students will appreciate the task list, the module layout, and the "what-if" option for checking how the overall grade would be affected by assignment grades. Teachers will appreciate the many ways to display class performance, the speedgrader, and the ease of leaving rubric feedback.
ConsCommunication is vital, especially in online classes. Canvas sometimes sends notifications and sometimes doesn't, it's very hit or miss as to whether or not professors will be notified that students have left them a note, or students will be notified of new posts to a discussion that they've subscribed to, or that anyone will be able to send a direct message without the painfully simplistic messaging system making it too hard.
December 7, 2018
Daniel L.
Student Worker
Retail, Unspecified
March 20, 2018

“I've been using canvas for a few years now and the accessibility and operation is pretty standard. ”

OverallIt was really beneficial to me to use this software because our teachers required it and it was a great way to keep all of our classes in one place. Instead of going to different places to find out about your class and other information, it was easy to just log on to canvas and get updates from all of your classes.
ProsMost of the classes i take at college require us to use this software, and to be honest it really is a great software. The tabs on the side which include the courses and grades make it easy to go through and find what you need. I also like how the program allows the user to change the grade and determine what is needed to get a specific grade in the class.
ConsIm not that huge of a fan when it comes to trying to get out of a specific group that you are. I have been getting notifications from canvas from a group i was somehow added to a few years ago and i still continue to get updates from that group. Another thing i am not fond of in Canvas is how if i am sent a notification from canvas to my email, i have to go to canvas to see what was sent to me or what update there is in canvas.
Jessica H.
Mental Health Care, 51-200 employees
February 23, 2019

“Canvas Review ”

OverallI used Canvas throughout my undergrad and graduate programs. With all of the stress I was under during these years and with my busy college student schedule, it was nice to know that I could always rely on canvas for my class information.
ProsThis software is very user friendly and easily accessible for a busy college student. I was able to download the app on my phone or use it on my computer when needing to access information about my classes. The software has a variety of features that are perfect for college class settings, including posting assignments, discussion boards, files, grades, and videos/lectures. This software also has a feature that allows students to take quizzes or exams online. Additionally, it is a great way to stay connected with other students and professors with quick messages.
ConsOn some occasions, the grading feature in Canvas would not show correct or accurate grades. However, this could be solved with a quick message to the professor, in order to correct the percentage mistake.
February 23, 2019
Mike S.
Dental Hygienist Assistant
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 employees
November 27, 2018

“Best tool for education”

OverallI have used a different software meant for organizing my classes and assignments but I was so glad when my school ditched that software and switched to Canvas. It is much more user friendly and easy on the eyes. I am grateful for the many different features available to me as a student. It helps me to be more organized and on top of my education experience. I probably would have gotten worse grades without canvas, due to the assignment reminder alone.
ProsThe best features are the ease of use. I am able to easily view which classes I am enrolled in, I can see files uploaded by the professor, I can view assignments due and see my grades. I especially love how canvas alerts me about upcoming assignments to help keep me on task. I have a bad habit or forgetting to do assignments so that is an important feature to have.
ConsThere a multiple places to upload files and some professors upload things in weird places. That is more of their error, but if there was just one place to upload all the files (lectures!p, assignments... etc) then it wouldn't be confusing between my different classes.
November 27, 2018
Hans H.
Performance Marketing Manager
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
November 1, 2018

“As a student, Canvas makes it easy to collaborate and learn”

OverallOverall, as a teacher and student using this software, I am highly satisfied.
ProsI used Canvas both as a student, and as a teaching assistant, so I have seen how the software works for both of those user groups. As a student, Canvas's UI is straightforward, well-organized, and easy to use. Using the software for 5+ years, I grew to quite like it. Inside of "Courses", you can find all of your course's files, your classmates, chats, and much much more. Never did I not find something that I thought might be useful. As a teaching assistant, Canvas made it easy to access the gradebook and add/edit grades, view performance metrics, and talk with students. Great features, I'm sure there's plenty I'm missing.
ConsThe ONLY complaint I have with Canvas is the markup/ grading system. It is honestly much slower to grade papers submitted to Canvas on the site than it is to download, print, and grade them manually. Hopefully Canvas can save some trees and figure out how to improve their SpeedGrader product.
November 1, 2018
Jennifer C.
Author
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
August 14, 2019

“Canvas is a Great Learning Management Tool”

ProsAs a teacher (who is also an author), Canvas allows me to keep all students and parents up-to-date when it comes to assignments, tests, and other resources. Make-up work for absent students is so simple, since everything is in one place.
ConsI wish it would integrate with our online grading platform, so grades did not have to be entered a second time.
August 14, 2019
Anupama B.
Information Technology Student Assistant
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees

“Canvas is GREAT!”

OverallCanvas is great fun. It has a large number of features and the feel of the software is excellent. It's a good mark of how much education has changed over the years.
ProsI have been using Canvas for a year now and it is so efficient, I am absolutely in love with it. It has very soft features and it makes studying great fun. There are very many features and functionalities Canvas has in terms of providing students with options to explore the software. On top of that, you can customize the settings to show which courses you want to see on your feed. It is exciting to use Canvas because it teaches a lot about what good software should look and feel like.
ConsAll of my professors in college use Canvas, and although I have always thought Canvas was super user-friendly, I have come to realize that older people can find the software a little confusing to get the hang of. On some days, especially if I haven't used Canvas in a while, even I get confused as to where everything is located. Perhaps there are tutorials as to how to use Canvas on YouTube but if the developers could incorporate the tutorials in the software, I think that could be beneficial.
Ky'Essence C.
Assistant Manager
Retail, 1-10 employees
September 18, 2019

“I love Canvas!”

OverallOverall I feel like Canvas is very convenient and easy to use on the computer and on your phone.
ProsWhat I like the most is the app because it is very easy to navigate through. I can see my To-Do dates, break down of my courses, and grades at the palm of my hand. I can even complete assignments like Discussion Boards from the app.
ConsWhat I like the least is that Canvas became more strict with allowing teachers to make changes to help students, like they cannot reset a test for students. They also need to update the way emails are shown on the phone because they are all out of order. I always have to refresh it or scroll for the particular email.
September 18, 2019
Mental Health Care, 201-500 employees
November 26, 2018

“Needs a few tweaks”

OverallCanvas is the option that my school provides for viewing all classes, both in person and online only classes. The forum discussion posts and video streaming work quite well, and I've never had a problem with viewing grades or understanding assignments. However, I think the user interface could definitely be tweaked to allow for faster viewing and access to files and assignments. Sometimes the interface takes a while to load, which is frustrating when deadlines are up to the minute! However, it's been mainly a good experience.
ProsI like the parts of the user interface that allow for viewing multiple due dates and assignments for different courses in one week. It has a great system for reminders within Canvas and email reminders. It allows for many multiple courses to be compiled in one week.
ConsThe setup for the syllabi and viewing uploaded documents is often very confusing and formats oddly, causing confusion on assignments. I've had trouble understanding when I've uploaded or submitted a document and struggle to double check it afterwards.
November 26, 2018
Casey A.
Instructional Designer
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
November 7, 2016

“Canvas delivers safe performance and safe functionality, but is just that, too safe. ”

OverallCanvas is the latest iteration of a classic lms. It is safe. It does exactly what people have been doing already, it does not push the envelope in any way in order to push online learning into new bounds. If that is what you are looking for - an lms that you can use at your highly structured institution (have seen it used in both corporate and academic contexts) then this is the lms for you. It has the standard question types (MC, T/F, short-answer that you have to review) and the standard features (chat room, file repository, syllabus page, course announcements, modules with videos). It is a good iteration of this type of lms - the design is way better than Blackboard, more intuitive and appears more modern. But at the end of the day it's just 90's era e-learning. If you are looking to try new things with online learning - if you can't rely on any in-person component to clarify issues - if you want to implement creative activities to reinforce learning -- then this is not the platform for you.
Pros- Ease of use - Simple to navigate - Basic + predictable - Great customer support
Cons- Super basic, lack of customization ability - Limited learning options
November 7, 2016
Higher Education, 5001-10,000 employees
September 25, 2019

“Best user experience in any LMS I've used”

OverallMaking the online learning experience more interactive and engaging, rather than just a file repository like our previous LMS.
ProsThe user interface and overall user experience is extremely intuitive and very little training is required for content creators (lecturers) and students. It is mobile friendly and constantly has new features added.
ConsAlthough new features are frequently added, they tend to stay in beta for months and months and can be buggy at launch.
September 25, 2019
Krishna M.
Student Ambassador
Higher Education, 11-50 employees
August 21, 2019

“Ease of use in assignment management and messaging”

OverallOverall, I love Canvas. Ease of use, and easy to communicate with the instructor make Canvas a great virtual classroom. I also love how I can set any notification in Canvas to come to my email or even via text message to my phone.
ProsAs a student, I use Canvas on a daily basis for my assignments and online courses I take at Cogswell. Submitting assignments is a cinch when uploading files. It's easy to send messages to students or the instructor for any questions on assignments or course-related questions. The fact that I can use it on my phone or iPad or laptop only add to the convenience. When it comes to online courses at Cogswell, it's very easy to find the material and files for the course, by module of this week's topic. Canvas makes it easy to download any or all of the files so I can keep them as a backup.
ConsThe Canvas mobile app could use a bit of work. I have experienced intermittent app crashes and incorrect notifications.
August 21, 2019