XMind Ratings

Overall

About XMind

XMind is the professional and powerful mind mapping software, widely used for project management, brainstorming, knowledge management, meeting minutes, information management and so on. It is committed to offer sustainable productivity and creativity. Awarded as best project for academia and best productivity software, XMind has been adopted by more than 1,000,000 people world widely for improving their competitiveness. Actually, XMind is open source software and XMind basic version is free Learn more about XMind

Julian T.
Author
Publishing, 1-10 employees
June 9, 2019

“Great package for mind-mapping and planning your work”

OverallI use it for mind-mapping my articles, presentations, and books. It's a powerful simple tool for that. And can form the basis of a great Prezi layout if you use the clip art. Mostly I like that it's a fast way for me to scope and think about an article or book. I typically use the 4MAT model (as originally developed by Bernice McCarthy in 1980) which creates a 4 way mind-map, starting with WHY in the top right quadrant then WHAT in the lower right, HOW in the lower left and continuing clockwise to create a branch about IF? in the top left quadrant. The WHY is all about "Why should people read/know/care about this?", then WHAT is it that I want them to know/do/feel, and HOW do they do this, then finally the IF? is all about What if? What if I (the reader) do this and it works or doesn't work? What if the next step is ... ? What if it everyone knew/did/felt this? 'What if?' is designed to stimulate the thinking processes based on the Why, What, How of the article/book/presentation. 4MAT is a good process and worth learning more about. I start with these 4 trees on the mind-map but the results can cover hundreds of branches as each branch stimulates new ideas. Sometimes I also use it for building models for presentations. Other times for organizational charts or taxonomies. And sometimes I just data-dump a brainstorm of ideas for whatever I'm working on. The clip art and ability to use straight or curved lines, and format text as I like helps for communication also.
ProsI've trialled or used a lot of mind mapping software and this is the one that I stick with. Mostly because it has two big criteria that I look for: 1. Ease of use - fast and intuitive 2. Flexibility - I can use a range of shapes and even the included clip art or my own images. I love that it's also available on IOS devices but so far, have been content to use it mostly on my Mac. I'm using XMind 8 Update 8 Pro via a license with Setapp (a subscription service that aggregates 200+ apps for $10/mth). I use enough of the Setapp utilities and apps that Xmind is basically free for me and that's just another big plus.
ConsNothing to dislike really. It ticks all the boxes for me. If anything, my main gripe would be that it's not as well known as some other software so it took me a while to find it. It was via the Setapp subscription that I first found it but it is now also in the Apple App Store.
June 9, 2019
Executive Office, 1-10 employees
December 11, 2018

“Lots of features to like, but don't like pricing”

OverallI used to love XMind and recommend it to everyone, but since they introduced the subscription charges and stopped allowing people to upgrade from previous versions, unless it was the one immediately previous to the new version, I just had to call it a day. There are other tools around that are more affordable and don't require subscriptions.
ProsHaving used many mindmapping tools over the years I came to XMind expecting just more of the same. I was pleasantly surprised. In addition to the usual features you'd expect of a mindmapping tool it has a plethora of additional features, some of them unique to XMinds, which takes its usability to the next level. I particularly liked the ability to drill down into specific nodes of the mindmap and create additional sub-mindmaps using those nodes as the central point. That is so cool. I also liked the availability of a large number of flags and icons that could be easily added to a mindmap. Not only did this brighten things up, but it helped to color-code the map to match my particular needs.
ConsThere are two things I don't like about XMind. Firstly, I am a Mac user and XMind doesn'd do a good job of following the standard Mac user interface. It feels very much like a PC application that has been made to run on a Mac. This is a shame as it makes it a little clunky to use on a Mac I feel. Secondly, XMind has some weird pricing that seems to have change over the years. At one time I found it to be an affordable alternative to other tools such as Mindjet (which is stupidly expensive). Unfortunately, XMind seems to have complicated its offerings and for some of them gone down the subscription route, which I think is offensive for a desktop application that requires no online services or access. I don't rent cans of beans or chairs in my house, so I object to having to rent software.
December 11, 2018
Clarwin C.
IT Services Manager
April 1, 2018

“Perfect for Brainstorming and Organizing Ideas”

OverallxMind is a very useful application for brainstorming, organizing, and connecting ideas. Great ideas happen all the time inside your marvelous brain. But often and rather very quickly, these ideas fly away and are forgotten. Pen and paper works, but a digital version of mindmapping will help a lot with extra features (e.g., auto-arrange, backup, themes, gantt-chart view, presentation, easy sharing, etc.)
ProsMindmapping helps me to be creative, to organize and connect my ideas into an easily readable format. xMind has been my go-to mindmapping software for this. I'm using version 8, and it has a much better UI (than other similar apps). The Pro features like Gantt-Chart helps me to use it for Project Implementations. The Walk-through (Presentation Mode) is great for presentation during meetings. It also allows to export to multiple formats like Jpg, pdf, etc. Also, backup using xMind Cloud works great for backup and easy sharing. There are many pre-installed themes to make your mindmaps look formal or fun, or colorful, etc. There are similar apps which are Cloud-based, but I prefer to have xMind, which is installed locally and available for use offline (since I'm not always connected to the Internet).
ConsI'm using xMind on a Macbook, but it seems that up to now, smooth scrolling is not yet fixed by their devs. This has been brought up since 2014 (you may Google it) but still not supported. It's a shame because for me, Mac has the best touch pad/scrolling. On the other hand, I've used xMind in Windows and it scrolls smoothly using the trackpad/mouse with no problems.
April 1, 2018
Josemaria G.
Vice Director for External Affairs
June 28, 2018

“Full-featured Mindmap Tool”

OverallXmind and Mindmapping (in general) is a must for everybody. It helps one to organize our brains that's full of ideas. It just comes out naturally as we connect nodes of concepts/ideas. Pro features are worth the price you pay for (e.g., brainstorming mode, presentation mode, gantt chart view). Sharing and backup is not a problem. And it allows you to sync across different devices (smartphone, laptop). The export feature is A+ as well. It allows for easy conversion to high-res images, to pdf, to freemind (other mindmap formats).
ProsXmind helps me organize my ideas into a mindmap that is easy to manage (add, remove, connect nodes). The presentation feature is very helpful whenever I use my mindmap as a storyboard outline during meetings. I likewise use this app for Project Management. All project elements are mapped out and there's even a feature to put checkboxes, brainstorming, and gantt chart view. The Windows version works flawlessly (scrolling etc.). For the Mac version, see below.
ConsThe Mac version still does not support smooth scrolling via Mouse/Touchpad. It makes it frustrating to navigate the mindmap. This has been reported a few years back, but still the same. Support/Dev team doesn't seem to be listening to public clamor.
June 28, 2018
Legal Services, 5001-10,000 employees
October 2, 2018

“XMind is more than just a mind mapping tool. It's everything I need in a productivity tool.”

OverallXMind is very good tool with self explanatory UI. With the complete set of templates for various requirements, presentation mode to have a brainstorm session with the team, gantt chart mode for project management (just like Microsoft Project), embedding picture/audio/attachment in the node, export to pdf or image, It really helps me to complete my daily job in gathering requirements, discussion with the team, brainstorming, presentation and project management. I only wish that the mobile version is provided without subscription fee when we have purchased the desktop version.
ProsThis application runs cross platforms. It works on my Mac, Windows machine also mobile devices. It has different kind of templates (mind map, org chart, logic chart, design, presentation mode, gantt chart mode for project management). What I like the most is I can also use it as a brainstorming tool for the development work as I can drop the node freely anywhere by clicking on the empty space. I can also easily add the flexible connection arrow between nodes. It also provide the export functionality to different type of files such as image, PDF and html.
ConsThe performance of the startup is very slow. It may take minutes sometime to load the application. Because of this, everytime I start my computer, I need to make sure I open the application to have it standby all the time.
October 2, 2018
Lucas M.
Proofreader
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
May 15, 2019

“Mind mapping should be taken more seriously. This is the mobile tool for learning and applying it”

ProsMind mapping is a very powerful tool for learning, as it allows me to put my thoughts on paper and actually see complex relations I am making when thinking, but otherwise would not be able to focus on minutiae of the topics because of the need to "sustain" the structure of the train-of-thought on the back of my mind. XMind is the first app for Android that meets the criteria of having all the tiny functions I need to put the thought down exactly as I had it in my mind, and eventually find loopholes and points where a reasoning is weak. This app can be very helpful for someone to find bad habits of thought and biases one has, as they become move evident when placed somewhere that can be analyzed or shared. Mind mapping education should be mandatory for any researcher, writer or public speaker, and this is the most complete tool for mind mappin I found on mobile Also, this app can be used both on PC and Android and is the best mind map creator I have found for the latter (I have tried a few before).
ConsA feature that should be added (I recognize it might not be easy) is automatic synchronization between different platforms. However, the effort of the development team is evident, by the amount of resources available
May 15, 2019
Alvaro M.
Account Manager
Utilities, 1001-5000 employees
March 29, 2019

“Native App for Mindmapping”

OverallMind mapping tools abound. Xmind is my preferred native mind mapping application for its feature set, ease of use for brainstorming, organizing ideas, and even project management.
ProsI've used XMind for quite some years now and I have seen how much it has matured and the devs keep on refining and adding new features to it. 1. Presentation Mode - I find using Xmind easy for presentations in terms of navigation, options for branch/child expand/collapse or even the focus/blur. 2. Brainstorming Mode - I really love this new feature which helps me and my team to focus on bringing as many ideas as possible without filtering. Xmind facilitates capturing all these ideas into digital form. 3. Xmind Zen is a complete re-write of the Xmind main app. And it is more responsive and modern.
ConsI wish they would consider my suggestion to save up and maximize screen real estate. The Top and Sidebars take so much space. Also, the icons tend to be too pixelated when zoomed in.
March 29, 2019
Nichole S.
Digital Marketing Specialist
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
January 18, 2018

“Quick, simple, easy to understand”

OverallI can illustrate complex processes quickly in a short amount of time. When I show my mindmaps to coworkers they're impressed and can easily understand the concept I'm trying to get across, which is a timesaver when we're trying to brainstorm the process behind a complicated project.
ProsI like being able to illustrate complex processes quickly and simply. I use XMind often when brainstorming how to complete a project or show visually how a process works to my coworkers. It's easy to learn, and even the free version gives us enough options that it meets our needs. I was introduced to mindmapping by a coworker a couple of years ago, which is how I found XMind, and have used it frequently ever since.
ConsSometimes the layout of the tree you make can look a little strange and there's no way to change it. I wish we had a little more control over the spacing between the boxes and the lines connecting them, as sometimes a box can hang out too far or too close in your tree, and that can make things a little less visually appealing, but overall I don't have any major complaints.
January 18, 2018
Edo M.
manager
Biotechnology, Self-employed
September 21, 2017

“Fantastic software for mind maps, diagrams and simple info-graphic solutions”

OverallThis software can be used by any sized company. User interface is simple, clean and easy to understand and master it in short period of time. Plenty of options give opportunity for different level of design (from simple diagrams to relatively challenging info-graphics).
ProsThis version of XMIND (v8 update 4) is a fantastic solution for: - mind mapping, - diagrams of different kind, - info-graphics User interface is a nice, clean with adequate number of icons (options) in toolbars (horizontal and vertical) and only one menu bar . Most of options are always available during work and can be accessed immediately when needed. And there are plenty of options. OUTLINE - is full of options, with different filters. TOPIC FORMAT - many options are available (there is place to improve) CLIP ART / ICON FINDER - plenty of media to choose from MARKERS - are made nicely, with several options to choose from THEMES - are nice (there is place to improve) NOTES - are linked to topics, nice feature COMMENTS - are similar to notes but with time when inserted, also linked to topic TASK INFO - sometimes can be of use.
ConsThis program, on my PC (WIN10, 4 Gb RAM), is very slow in some operations, especially loading. Cloud operations can be better defined.
September 21, 2017
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
May 28, 2019

“Performance & Reliability woes”

ProsIt's a desktop application! This is a boon with the current cult-of-the-cloud (AKA someone else's computer). You can use it offline and navigate&edit quickly with keyboard shortcuts. Fast to use (until you want to save!)
ConsPerformance is a nightmare. The minute you mind maps have any scale they start to take >1minute to save. I have a high-powered Win 10 machine with 24GB of ram and it makes no noticable difference compared to my laptop. This is a problem if you want to save often as It crashes. As the mind maps get larger, xmind tends to crash more often which means you get paranoid about loosing work and have to save more often. When it takes 2mins after a CTRL+S it really takes you out of your flow Newer version are subscription based! Such a shame.
May 28, 2019
David G.
IT Project Manager
Investment Management, 201-500 employees
January 12, 2019

“Free your mind from all the clutter”

ProsMind mapping in general is great way of unleashing the power of our brains! XMind is just a wonderful and easy-to-use software that can facilitate this work. It comes with all the useful features like auto-arrange, adding comments, icons, and it comes with many user templates to begin with. XMind can import your mindmaps to several formats (freemind, pdf, png/jpg, etc). I also love the brainstorming mode, and the presentation mode which I've frequently used for business meetings.
ConsToo sad that XMind Cloud closed down. But it's ok since I can just save my xmind files on my shared drive. Also, the icons get easily pixelated when the mindmap is zoomed in or when printing in larger scale.
January 12, 2019
Jorden B.
June 30, 2018

“Excellent Mind Mapping Tool for Brainstorming and Organizing Ideas! ”

ProsXMind is simple, intuitive and easy to use. It has a lot of features that will let your mind map look and feel the way you want it to. You have access to pre-installed themes which can make your maps look really neat. You can have xmind stored locally on your computer or the cloud. I like how they give you the option to do so. I love how they have included a Gnatt view which can let you see start and end dates, priority and progress of the tasks. You have the ability to export the mind maps to other formats but only for the paid versions.
ConsXmind has a free version and paid version. With the free version, you are limited to a few ways you can export the mind map. Which is expected as the paid version should give you all the features and the free should just give you a taste of what it can do. I think navigating around the mind map could be a little easier as I have seen other tools like MindMeister be able to navigate easier. Not a deal breaker at all though.
June 30, 2018
Andy R.
Vice President of Marketing
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
December 14, 2017

“Mind Mapping Made Easy”

OverallI've tried a variety of mind mapping products and none of them hold a candle to Xmind. Part of a very specific niche of software, Xmind's most powerful attribute is its simplicity. It doesn't try to do too much and what it does it does very well!!
ProsI've used XMind for the better part of 5 years and it works exactly as intended. I've used it for everything from setting up website information architecture to mapping out org charts for the business. It's super intuitive and easy to use, with built in templates to help make development a snap. There are a variety of uses and XMind does a great job of illustrating the possibilities through their templates and tutorials.
ConsXMind features 'drag and drop' technology that allows users to rearrange secondary and tertiary items as needed after creation. While a great concept in theory, the functionality can be a bit clunky at times, not allowing the user to drop the item in the desired location. The user interface makes building and modifying mind maps easy but it isn't the most attractive thing to look at - it could use a refresh and some modernization.
December 14, 2017
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
April 20, 2019

“Beautiful and useful mind mapping tool”

ProsXMind lets you create powerful mindmaps. Default styles for the templates are pretty beautiful, and the software is easy to use. You can use different layouts to show different information (not only classical mindmaps, but org chart and lists too), and even combine them. You can save the maps locally or in the cloud. There are now two versions of the software, a buyable one that does not look like it will have lots of updates, and the subscription one.
ConsThe software can be slow sometimes if you use big files or have a medium-old computer. The mobile apps are not as intuitive as the desktop apps, but that is something to expect du to the device limitations.
April 20, 2019
Volodymyr B.
Marketing Content Manager
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2018

“Mind Mapping Tool as it should be”

OverallXMind is great mindmapping tool that gets the job done nice and clean.
ProsMindmapping is nice and easy way to keep your brain fit and ready for unconventional action. However, it is often challenging to capture the brainstorming flow in an adequate manner. XMind makes this a lot easier. In terms of User Experience, XMind is as good as it gets with this kind of tools. You don't need to spend a lot of time wondering how to make your mind map - everything is on the surface. I really like the Presentation Mode. It is very useful in cases when you need to present a bunch of complicated concepts, explain the connections and tie them together without losing anyone.
ConsXMind can be slow at times and it can crawl and drag if your file is too big. Sometimes d&d files make a mess if you miss the mark. The biggest problem with XMind comes with free versions as there are certain functional limitations. But it is more of a problem for those who don't use XMind as frequently as I am.
August 15, 2018
Joshua G.
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
March 12, 2019

“Great mindmapping tool that I now cant live without”

OverallI regularly recommend this software to anyone who will listen.
ProsIt is super quick and easy to start and built out a mind map and with the new Zen version you can create even better looking versions of mind maps which can be client facing.
ConsMaking it easier to add custom images and icons would be a nice addition
March 12, 2019
Juan T.
QA Director - FIS Mobile
December 7, 2017

“Excellent tool for mind mapping”

OverallAn easy tool to present ideas using more of an image format in a collaborative way.
ProsThe free version is feature rich and can get you going right away, the built-in templates are great starting points. The fact that the free version is available makes it easy to send files to share and not worry about someone being able to open it since there is a free version. The paid version adds a slew of functionality and the ability to export the file into various formats.
ConsNot too many cons here as the tool is feature rich, larger files can take a bit to load and print options are not the greatest but I see this as more of a tool for sharing on computers.
December 7, 2017
Danny E.
C.E.O, Founder
Aviation & Aerospace, 11-50 employees
January 11, 2018

“XMind has revolutionized how I brainstorm and plan strategy for my business”

ProsMind Mapping not a completely new concept, but XMind makes it incredibly simple to change the way you brainstorm. You immediately jump into a blank map and with very easy shortcut keys you can start dropping all of your ideas onto a page. Everything is easy to move around, connect to other ideas, or add notes to. They have added great colors and icons to help sort your ideas. It is also very affordable for the pro version with a one time payment fee.
January 11, 2018
April 22, 2019

“A great replacement at an excellent price!”

ProsI have been an avid user of mind mapping software for more than a decade ,however, ever since I moved over to mac I have not found a great replacement for Mind Manager (which I used on Windows). After trying several other options I recently tried XMind and I am incredibly happy with the experience - it ticks all the boxes I wanted and also ticked a few that I did not know I needed until now. Some of the good points are easy and quick visual mind mapping. It also allows clear and visual relationships, groupings and icons. The price is amazing at only a few dollar per month. The experience of onboarding was also very simple.
ConsAt this point I do not have anything negative to say about XMind - excellent software at a great price.
April 22, 2019
Wojciech K.
Professional Training & Coaching, Self-employed
February 6, 2018

“I use XMind to manage information in visual way, to create notes & presentations in many views.”

Overalltime saver, notes keeper, presentations option
ProsXMind has great options to present information in many, different ways - as timeline, trees, org charts,... If we use task information, we can manage topics with Gantt chart view. It's easy to share documents in many ways. It's easy to develop document with visual elements like icons and images.
ConsIt would be great to see more advanced options in project management controlling area and maybe cooperation with MS Excel as data source.
February 6, 2018
Vincent Po B.
Managing Director & Global Chief Marketing & Technology Officer
Information Services, 1-10 employees
June 23, 2019

“Favourite mind-mapping tool”

OverallOverall satisfied with Xmind, my go-to mind-mapping tool.
ProsI used to use Freemind (Xmind is a fork of Freemind) and Xmind is the mind-mapping tool I keep going back to, despite all the cloud-based mind-mapping apps, I still prefer Xmind (I don't use Xmind's cloud service though). I use mind-mapping very frequently and Xmind is still my favourite go-to mind-mapping tool.
ConsWould love to see a free cloud-based version of this (vs only a desktop app).
June 23, 2019
Richard S.
Software Engineer
201-500 employees
October 10, 2017

“Powerful desktop mind mapping tool, hindered by a lack of collaboration and mobile support.”

OverallI use it primarily for brainstorming, it helps to be able to capture ideas and draw relationships between similar concepts. It is also helpful for creating charts and data visualizations for my team.
ProsFast and intuitive mind mapping with great support for images and documents. Many available layouts and custom themes. Cloud sync between devices, keyboard shortcuts, and a few project management features.
ConsLimited completely to the desktop. Powerful, but also overly complex, takes time to learn. Cannot freely position elements, must use pre-defined layouts. Cloud synchronization is aggravating, often results in conflicts and duplicate documents.
October 10, 2017
Ken A.
April 30, 2018

“Clean and Intuitive”

ProsI'm using XMind on my new iMac and it's great. I use Mac because I like how the operating system and hardware stays out of my, so I can complete my work. XMind follows this philosophy of minimalism design with maximum functionality. There is also a "zen mode" which is full screen with no menus. I quickly figured the most basic functions and keystrokes without a tutorial or guide. Minimal and intuitive!
ConsThe cost is kind of high for a mind mapping tool. After all, I'm not sure how much I will use the software on a daily basis to warrant subscribing every six months. But then again, when I factor in my time, and the incalculable value of 'getting things done'. It seems to be well worth it.
April 30, 2018
Jovana V.
Writer
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
June 15, 2019

“Mapping my mind is now easier”

OverallI am overall very satisfied. Briefly tried other alike software but they were too hard to navigate as a beginner. XMind was the most intuitive and I find my way around quite easily.
ProsIt is fairly intuitive, I struggled with figuring out one or two features but nothing too complicated. Other similar software was far more complicated.
ConsI would prefer the option for different map's design. At least options like standard, minimal and some embellished version. The design is a little bit the early 2000s.
June 15, 2019
Ana M.
Administrator
Wholesale, 1001-5000 employees
March 25, 2019

“Excellent mindmapping and diagram tool”

OverallVery good (but slightly) slow software for mind-mapping and diagrams in general.
ProsThere are enough already made templates for standard projects. Nice and simple graphic interface. Plenty of editing options. Plenty of options in context menu so user don't have to look in menus. Themes are a nice feature. Text editor as docked feature. Subscription price for ZEN version is e really good deal.
ConsMore editing freedom, as sometimes user can't manipulate position of topics/subtopics (or is automatically docked or is far away). Relatively slow for off-line solution (response time of docked features). Price (of PRO version) is too expensive.
March 25, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
February 16, 2019

“An easy tool to organize ideas and mind maps in an easy way.”

OverallI started to used Xmind in a very easy way to create a mind map, it didn't take me a lot of time to understand it and started to work with.
ProsI liked that is very easy to install and start to work with, it offers an easy way to start with mind maps without using another office tools that make difficult to create these diagrams. With simple commands you can start very intuitively to create your mind map. You can even export your work in popular formats to work with.
ConsThe user interface could be updated to be more friendly, it has the necessary to start to work but it could be improved to have the main tools more accesible.
February 16, 2019
August 23, 2019

“Excellent tool for Mind mapping”

ProsMind mapping brings a lot of clarity in the thought process and Xmind does a wonderful job of using mind maps. They have a lot of templates that can be used as well.
ConsNot much. The software is very nice indeed.
August 23, 2019
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
August 28, 2019

“Effective Mind-Map App”

OverallAllowing me to map out my ideas in flow and make plans for the future.
ProsI love that it's so simple to use. Not only does it not take up much space but it has a very simple to use interface. The learning curve is minimal as it takes less than 20 minutes to understand how it works. There is also a very good export feature which allows for easy export to PNG, Word, Text, PDF as well as other social network using the Zen network. I love that there is also support for the mobile apps so that one can work while on the go. The pricing is effective as there are separate desktop and mobile apps, though it's preferrable to go for the desktop+mobile package as it costs just a bit more than the desktop subscription.
ConsIt was not as colourful as I expected. The activation process was a bit cumbersome.
August 28, 2019
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
July 18, 2019

“Intuitive and Visually Pleasant Mind Mapping Software”

OverallGreat brainstorming software that has many surprising uses
ProsXMind offers an opportunity to map thoughts in a visual "mind map" that is aesthetically pleasing. We use this in many different ways, but perhaps the most unique was to flesh out our company's organizational chart in a succinct image with attractive colors.
ConsAlthough there are lots of formatting options, colors, shapes, and sizes, a bit more functionality or customization capabilities would go a long way.
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
March 26, 2019

“XMind- For mapping your mind, and more”

OverallBeen using it on and off like a mental post it for times I needed a clear overview. Overall, pleased with the tool and the results it helps me get.
ProsEasy to use and provides a way to make mind maps for whatever you want.
ConsA bit more options would be great as I feel it is a bit limited for my particular mind, if that makes sense. I would have loved to see some more features for the nodes.
March 26, 2019
December 19, 2018

“Moved over to XMind from Mind Meister”

ProsThe free version has a lot that you can do with unlike Mind Meister. That is the main reason I moved to XMind.
ConsThe size of the software is bloated I felt
December 19, 2018
Arthur D.
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
December 29, 2018

“I just love the XMind free version, the best Idea Mgmt software ever made”

ProsIt´s way easier to put your ideas and mind maps together. The interface is very intuitive and you can build big mind maps easier.
ConsThe program is not heavy but eats memory so it´s better to have a good computer or at least a small monitor to use it.
December 29, 2018
Rev Michael A.
Ministerial Life Coach
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
November 14, 2018

“Great mind mapping software”

OverallHave been using in consulting work to map out processes that are going in several directions at once. Helps those whe are visionary yet work alone to bring others on board with processes that both parties can understand. Helps many entrepreneurs to work at the speed ot their thoughts when presenting. I love working with it to break down what seem to be complicated issues, only because they have no way to break down "stream of consciousness" explanations of problems.
ProsIf you don't register the trial you can use it for as long as you need. Much better than a 15-day trial that many others give you. Many times 2 weeks does not give you much time. It is great mind mapping software!
ConsIt is limited in its flex ability. Not able to make the maps as fluid as some programs. In many ways it makes maps like everyone else does, it just does it better.
November 14, 2018
Textiles, 51-200 employees
April 24, 2018

“This is a great product for process development as well as brainstorming”

OverallI'm able to create some clean and professional items for work. Saves time.
ProsI can pretty much use it for whatever I want: if I'm setting up a timeline, creating a project strategy, walking through a process, setting up and organizational chart. Whatever I need, there's a way for me to create it.
ConsThe relationships between elements is sometimes challenging to create (i.e. a sub-process of a process). It doesn't always work the way I want it to or anticipate it to.
April 24, 2018
Aaron J R.
Digital Projects Manager
11-50 employees
December 11, 2017

“A easy tool for to create great looking mind-maps.”

OverallGreat, easy product to create mind-maps for free.
ProsI do a lot of systems/processes and creative campaign creation. Being able to link ideas, processes, etc together is a huge asset when communicating with other members of our team or clients. XMind is a great tool to easily and cheaply do this. Using their app i always have them on me for on-the-fly presentations. xmind keeps me from having to spend 3x as much time drawing things out in Powerpoint/Slides.
ConsI wish themes were more customizable; but that's really a stretch to find something wrong with the free version I use.
December 11, 2017
Malcolm B.
IT Manager
Textiles, 201-500 employees
December 4, 2018

“Excellent Intuitive Mind Mapping Tool”

OverallVery useful to present a bunch of info to managers and less technical people. e.g. business processes, Areas of responsibility, project elements. Also very useful to show updated status of projects.
ProsVery easy to use Relationships and Boundaries/Summaries very useful to organise groups or show linkages Icons for priorities / flags / faces etc useful to show task progress / highlight certain points (with legend) F7 Mapshot Free version highly functional. Pro version has load of great features, very powerful Compatible with several other mindmap formats
ConsFree version cannot export to PDF (only to image , html image or text) shortcut keys for list input could be improved
December 4, 2018
Brandi W.
Sourcing Category Manager, Technology
Non-Profit Organization Management, 5001-10,000 employees
December 5, 2016

“Easy Brainstorming Diagrams at your fingertips”

OverallXmind has given my organization a free downgraded version of their software to use since we are a charity. I really like the ease of use of this software and how fast you can pull together a simple fishbone or timeline compared to Vision.
ProsEasy to use; little to no training required to be productive. Free version available
ConsLimited design capabilities but its free.
Recommendations to other buyersThis is a great first place to start on your search for diagram software.
December 5, 2016
David A.
Telecommunications, 51-200 employees
March 14, 2018

“This is wonderful tool to help with Project Management”

OverallThis is a great tool for Project Managers. You can get started easily and get things done quickly.
ProsI have used this software to develop WBS and SOW mind maps. I have used some of the included templates for the SOW and the cause and effect (Ishikawa diagram). The software is easy to use and there is not a huge learning curve. You can just jump right in and get things done.
ConsI think it would be great to get a mobile app for this software. It would help to get some work done while out on the road.
March 14, 2018
Dean M.
Video Content Producer
July 16, 2018

“Love XMind for Mapping Projects”

ProsAbsolutely amazing software that has made software and game development quick and easy. Way better than other software out there.
ConsThe thing I like least is it's memory usage. The larger a project gets the more RAM it consumes and it can reach breaking point where it becomes unusable.
July 16, 2018
Sean W.
Co-Owner
May 8, 2018

“Simple and straightforward”

ProsXMind is easy to pick up and start running. I was able to get started with minimal experience with this type of program.
ConsNo complaints, software works great and exactly as I expected it would. Overall happy with the program
May 8, 2018
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
July 18, 2019

“Simple but powerful mind mapping software”

ProsI love how simple XMind is to use. It makes it very quick to get my thoughts down into a mind map, moving between different subjects and ideas quickly.
ConsThere's nothing I dislike about XMind. It works well and is simple to use.
Bethany S.
February 1, 2017

“Fun Way to Visualize Ideas”

OverallI know that I've barely scratched the surface of X-Mind. Mapping out projects, ideas, and goals with X-mind makes it easy to break those projects, ideas, and goals down step by step, which makes them easier to conquer one piece at a time, and the different design options, colors, and icons even help make unpleasant or challenging problems look more fun and approachable. I don't use it every day, but when I need to break down a problem or a project, X-mind is a great way to digitally "get it all on paper," and see it all laid out clearly.
February 1, 2017
JianWei C.
Sr Manager & Architect
Computer Software, 1001-5000 employees
August 20, 2018

“Easy to use mind map tool”

ProsVery easy to use even the first time to use it, and the notes it provides are very good and very useful
ConsNo online storage, it would be great if it can provide it.
August 20, 2018
Mark F.
Market Development Manager
July 12, 2017

“Use it to capture meeting notes”

ProsVery easy to pick up and a very visual way to make meeting notes. Once you get used to it you can be very fast in editing
ConsIt's a proprietary file and software so you need to have it installed if you want to share files with other people
July 12, 2017
Judith W.
student
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
July 22, 2019

“XMIND and ME”

OverallI am using a free version, but I wish it would at least print my maps and in the direction and on the paper I want to use.
ProsI like the ease of use. It is pretty intuitive.
ConsI can't get my projects to print: 1. printing is very diffcult 2. i can't print my mind mind in the direction I want on paper.
July 22, 2019
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
November 2, 2018

“Mind-mapping made simple”

OverallI like to visualize problems with complex interdependencies when writing software, and XMind provides an easy way to do just that. From there, I can identify patterns and reduce code complexity.
ProsEasy to get started and the results are always pretty.
ConsI would like a way to export/import my maps to/from a machine-readable format.
November 2, 2018
Trina V.
Research and development professional
Government Administration, 11-50 employees
April 27, 2019

“Amazing mind map tool”

OverallWe are testing it in a free version and it has been very useful for give shape to new ideas within the organization
Pros Its excellent features facilitates the expression of ideas and motivates creativity
ConsSo far we haven't found any problem in using the software
April 27, 2019
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees
January 21, 2019

“Great Mindmapping tool”

ProsEasy to use, fast, works with little to no bugs in my experience.
ConsExport options are limited - doesn't have a native Mac app.
January 21, 2019
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
April 24, 2019

“It is not task manager”

OverallI like it, design new processes is easy and transparent.
ProsUser friendly application with drag and drop feature. Better for process mapping or design of process.
ConsI have to use it as project management application and really this application is strong in another areas.
April 24, 2019
Caley F.
Student
Human Resources, Self-employed
June 19, 2019

“Good for organizational charts ”

OverallIt's ok overall for a small variety of business uses
ProsMaking an organizational chart is fairly easy. Could also be used for pros/cons charting
ConsDifficult to get the hang of. The free version doesn't allow for picture of clip art insertion.
June 19, 2019