Direct Mail Ratings

Overall

About Direct Mail

macOS app that features a suite of powerful email marketing tools: a fun and easy-to-use email template editor, mailing list sign up forms and advanced list management tools, and insightful campaign analytics reports. Learn more about Direct Mail

Marty m.
Operations Manager
Environmental Services, 11-50 employees
June 26, 2019

“If you knoow what you're doing - DirectMail is the best”

OverallHaving used a range of programs - DirectMail certainly gives you the most hands on experience. The biggest draw back is being app-based; while most competitors are all online - but this is what also provides the biggest advantage in terms of tools and functionality.
ProsControl of the whole process - from HTML editing to subscriber management to design and spam testing - it's fun to work with.
ConsNo online tool. Reporting is limited, there aren't enough ways to compare and contrast. Very hard to export reports and data in bulk. Hard to get examples out as PDF / Image filles.

By e3 Software on June 27, 2019
Thanks a ton for your review, Marty! Much appreciated! I wanted to mention that the latest version of Direct Mail includes expanded options for exporting report data and for exporting your messages as PDF files. You may want to update and take a look. Please reach out to us with any questions or feedback. Thanks!
June 26, 2019
Terry L.
Photography, Unspecified
November 6, 2017

“The latest version is great, major improvements and great for my business”

OverallIt's on my Mac rather than being in the cloud.
ProsThere are online email companies but I always find them a bit awkward. I first tried Direct Mail years and years ago and it was okay and did a job but this year they have updated it which has made the software fantastic. The email design is really easy and simple with some great free templates built in while still giving you flexibility should you need it to customer deeper. I've changed my current newsletter styles over to the new ones and it's given them a fresh new look and total compatibility no matter what device the emails are read upon. Being able to delve into who has looked and even clicked is a real big plus point for managing my marketing and I can really target further contact by this response. You can, of course, buy email credits from them or use your own email sending system. I personally use both, credit from them for my loyal customers and potential customer (the list is huge) through my own servers (it's cheaper for me this way). Oh, and it also links with y database system - Daylite which helps keeps everything organised an on track.

By e3 Software on November 7, 2017
Thanks a million for the review, Terry! We are really glad that you are liking the new update. I wanted to let you know that we added some great cloud features to Direct Mail a little while ago. You can now save your projects to the cloud, access them from any Mac, and even sync and collaborate with other users. More info is available at our website. Thanks again!
November 6, 2017
John S.
NA
May 21, 2018

“Great Software but AWFUL management and support after ”

ProsOne of the easiest and good looking mail sender on the Mac have used it for years. (not anymore though)
ConsYou have to pay them to send using your SMTP, which is fine, but as soon as you offend their very strict rules they disable the whole part of the sending process, meaning the softwares useless. Then thats where you find out the support is AWFUL, as it seems to me theres only 2 people that work there, they refuse to talk on phone, and despite promises when chased up, they don't answer emails. genuinely terrible.

By e3 Software on May 28, 2018
Thanks for your review, John. Sorry that you had a bad experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service (via email and live chat), and are grateful for the many five star customer service reviews we've received here and on other sites. In order to maintain a high quality of service, we ask all of our customers to agree to an anti-spam policy that forbids the use of illegal or purchased email lists. If that policy is violated, we are happy to explain how to resolve the issue. However, we are not able to help customers who repeatedly harass and threaten our employees.
May 21, 2018
Doug J.
Principal
Management Consulting, Self-employed
August 20, 2019

“Tracking Readership for a small business”

OverallAs I learn all its features I like it more and more
ProsOnce I had figured it out, with some help from helpful 'Help' people at Directmail, it has been extremely useful to me in doing was email broadcasts to my client and subscriber base, something I could to do with my usual email software, [Mac]Mail. Works very well on my Mac. I sue the subscriber option which allowed me to install the software on my isp's server. cost effective and looks to my readers as coming directly form me.
ConsThe reporting could be improved(?) if we could be sure the receiver has actually 'opened' the email, or merely saw the summary on their device, especially the case for people who receive the email on there mobile device. I haven't figured out how file management works on the system yet.
August 20, 2019
Kirby S.
proprietor
Consumer Electronics, 1-10 employees
January 5, 2019

“Terrific Basic Service for Digital Marketing”

OverallVery Good!
ProsGreat product for the price We use Direct Mail to manage our customer base for two separate target audiences. The service is helpful and easy to use, being able to create, reuse and modify previous campaign flyers, driving traffic to our websites, providing useful metrics, keeping our database relevant when clients change email addresses or are no longer interested in receiving annoucements. Overall DM has worked well for our small business. We cannot afford to invest in other CRM services such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, GetResponse or other email marketing services. DirectMail fulfills our current needs.
ConsWish the interface were more user friendly Wish there were more customization tools for the templates
January 5, 2019
Stephen R.
Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees
August 3, 2019

“Nearly Perfect”

OverallI have maintained various mailing lists and mailings over the years and DirectMail has always been the perfect tool for me. Now that I am retired and I only use the app to organize my monthly dinner parties, it has scaled down nicely and is still the perfect tool.
ProsEasy organization makes easy to maintain compliance with all laws and common decency.
ConsIt doesn't bend to my personal case use, but I could hardly expect it to.
August 3, 2019
Craig P.
Marketing Coordinator
January 23, 2018

“Excellent application. Fairly easy to use. Good interface design.”

ProsBest means (by which users are honored in terms of their time for messaging) to communicate with various constituents.
ConsOften have to retype names of messages as the app updates indiscriminately. Would love to be able to stop sending, then start again without starting at the beginning of the mailing list.
January 23, 2018
Sid L.
Presiden
March 15, 2018

“I love using this program”

ProsI love using this program. But best of all, when my computer damaged a key file, I sent it to Direct Mail. They sent an auto email saying it would be repaired in 24 hours. They sent the file back in two hours and it has worked perfectly ever sense. I highly recommend this program and company.
ConsI would love this program to some how tie into the Outlook database so I only have 'one' set of contacts.
March 15, 2018
Gianni C.
December 13, 2017

“A great all-around DM solution”

ProsGreat Templates, Ease of use and customization, Very good analytics. Renders very well on all kinds of devices and there's plenty of additional testing functions. The automatic management of unsubscribers is also very handy. For someone with zero previous DM experience but wanting to send out a weekly newsletter this is fantastic value for money.
ConsCan't think of anything specific even though I would like to group reports (i.e. comparing flights of the same campaign or issues of the same newsletter. Presently I export to Excel but it would be practical to have these inside.
December 13, 2017
Pittershawn P.
Writer
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
June 7, 2019

“Alternative to MailChimp”

OverallWonderful! Amazing app and great experience so far.
ProsIt is very easy to use and provides the basic bells and whistles needed to track any campaign.
ConsI know it is not possible, but there needs to be a way to track reasons why a person would file a report. I've experienced people I've known well reporting me, rather than merely unsubscribing. One I called up and she said she did it by accident. Not even sure how that can be an accident, but ok. It would help to understand user behavior with clear reasons to get a better sense of what I might have done wrong with a user, so I can avoid certain pitfalls in the future.
June 7, 2019
Ray M.
Co-Founder / Fine Art Photographer
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
September 20, 2018

“Amazing”

OverallGreat product. Great customer service!
ProsIt does everything I'd ask for in an email blast program -- localized software, easy to import, create groups, build templates, send out mail campaigns, collect online data, link with other software, etc.
ConsThe only one thing that I don't like about it is -- if I schedule a number of emails (over the course of the week) and new subscribers come in -- those new subscribers won't get my already-scheduled emails. Because of this, I can't schedule more than 1-2 days of emails.
September 20, 2018
Bob R.
Design, 1-10 employees
February 22, 2019

“A Great email marketing application”

OverallHaving used Direct Mail for many years I can attest to the effort put into keeping it fresh. The customer support is outstanding.
ProsWell thought out and updated on a regular basis, you can tell that the developers of Direct Mail take pride in their product. It is a solid and stable application that I have relied on for years to do my email marketing campaigns for clients.
ConsAs with any application you always say, I wish it did x, but nothing significant enough to warrant inclusion here.
February 22, 2019
Gianni C.
Oil & Energy, 1-10 employees
December 14, 2018

“Great value for a non-professional user”

OverallI have used DM for Mac for several years and found it truly powerful and complete. Even the novice user will appreciate powerful yet easy to use features such as automatic unsubscribes, bounces or complaints, helping you keep your mailing list clean and well-managed. Hundreds of templates make sure you can find the format that's right for you and then customize with graphics, logo, etc.
ProsEase of use, editor, templates, address manager
ConsI would like an option to compare performance of weekly newsletter
December 14, 2018
Lloyd S.
Pres
Design, 1-10 employees
August 6, 2018

“Great Mail Manager at a great price”

OverallBeen using it for years and never a problem. Clean, easy interface. Can handle your emails through your own servers or theirs--software is free to use if you use their servers. If you have a small list to manage, that is even free. They are constantly updating to software.
ProsEasy to use, works well, they continually update. Software is free if you use their servers, and they have reasonable pricing tiers.
ConsNothing really. It works well, just as advertised
August 6, 2018
Caryn C.
Web Development Coordinator, Student Services
Higher Education, Unspecified
February 14, 2018

“Best emailer software I've ever used”

OverallDoes what we want, when we want, and we know exactly what the client will see, which is essential in complicated multiple-option emails.
ProsEasy to customize, easy to make the final look good AND easy to check every email to make sure imported exactly as you wanted.
ConsNo metrics server in Canada. (A legal requirement for our usage if we want to get stats.) Otherwise, we'd be using it every day to contact our students and prospective students.
February 14, 2018
Clint P.
Digital Marketing Manager
Computer & Network Security, 501-1000 employees
May 10, 2018

“Super cheap emailing service. ”

OverallAffordable enterprise level email management system.
ProsI like that they offer the one time payment for their software in order to use it with your own email servers. It provides a super cheap option for enterprise level emails.
ConsYou get what you pay for. With their one time payment option you don't get much customer service and you'll need to maintain your own servers.
Roberto V.
February 1, 2018

“Using this software since years - great value for money”

OverallGreat value for money. Forget MailChimp or others, where you pay a lot when your mail lists grow ...
ProsYou can buy a one-time fixed "SMTP" licence and use the software without any transactional costs. We send hundreds of thousands of emails without an costs and great convenience. The product never failed to work and is easy to use.
February 1, 2018
Bob R.
February 15, 2018

“Outstanding e-mail marketing app”

ProsConsistently improving and enhancing the application. Great value for the money. Outstanding customer support. Excellent selection of easily, editable templates.
ConsOccassionally requires reading the user guide to get a handle on some of the functionality. Not so much a con as operator laziness.
February 15, 2018
CHRIS D.
Arts and Crafts, 1-10 employees
October 16, 2019

“Why Direct Mail”

OverallExcellent, this is so much easier to use than Mail Chimp
ProsThe software is very straightforward and easy to use and immediate feedback on campaigns
ConsThe page design element is basic and easy but could possibly be slicker with more intuitive options
October 16, 2019
Jason W.
Financial Services, Self-employed
June 5, 2019

“Beautiful App”

OverallIt's helped me design beautiful looking email broadcasts, great design and content + the feedback reports post transmission are really terrific, showing how many clicks, how many opened, what email client the recipients are using, fantastic platform.
ProsI bought Direct Mail years ago and it continues to impress me with its functionality, ease of use and clean look & feel. Really easy on the eyes in keeping with MacOS tradition, this app is simple enough for novices and has plenty of features for expert level users. Great alternative to MailChimp and other similar platforms.
ConsI really can't say anything bad about the app to be perfectly honest...
June 5, 2019
Robin Lee H.
Novelist
Publishing, Self-employed
May 4, 2019

“The best decision I've made for my newsletters was moving to Direct Mail”

OverallI've been using Direct Mail for about 8 years and have recommended it to many friends. The two times I've needed customer service/tech support, the issue was handled quickly.
ProsI love that the software takes care of subscriptions, both new and those who unsubscribe, without me doing anything.
ConsCan't think of anything that I don't like.
May 4, 2019
Paul N.
musician / band leader
Music, Self-employed
August 9, 2018

“Mature Mac software experience”

OverallIt's a joy to use - the management of addresses is easy and flexible - which, of course, is vital. It takes the grunt out of the job. The accumulated statistics are really useful.
ProsSeveral factors come to mind. 1) It keeps me on the straight and narrow (ie very occasionally I've had subscribers, yes legitimate subscribers, complain that I've sent spam. When this happens I'm alerted in a really helpful way. 2) The software keeps pace with the changes in law regarding unsolicited emails - something that as a micro business I have little time for.
ConsI can't think of anything to complain about.
August 9, 2018
Alan B.
Design & Print
Retail, Unspecified
May 1, 2018

“Fairly intuitive and full featured.”

Overallease of use all 'round
ProsWorks well with Mac. Very quick and helpful support. The website is full of useful tips and advice.
ConsCan't edit source code when using builtin templates. Only runs on Mac. Some features undocumented.
May 1, 2018
Ed D.
Personal
December 26, 2017

“Great program for managing and mailing to lists for business, music promotion, etc.”

ProsEasy to use and easy to manage lists, messages and campaigns. Can get new message campaigns off quickly.
ConsTakes some getting used to. Using images could be easier. Would really like an iOS version that would work with an iPad Pro.
December 26, 2017
Ricardo C.
CBO
July 18, 2018

“Wonderful piece of software”

ProsI love the fact that i can use my private server to send emails from my company, and the ability to track my emails
ConsI wish you could disable the bottom of the message that says "this email is sent using directmail for mac"
July 18, 2018
Daniele S.
Product Marketing Manager
Construction, Self-employed
May 22, 2018

“Excellent application. Easy to use. Great value for money.”

ProsThe product never failed to work and is easy to use, easy to customize, excellent selection of editable templates.
ConsI actually cannot think of any cons. It works perfectly and has never given me problems and the updates are excellent.
May 22, 2018
Ignacio G.
Comms director

“Great”

ProsEasy to send emails, tracking is great and the interface to build the email campaigns so much easier than other products.
ConsThe price is a bit high, but they give you 150 emails a month free to use as you like, so and they have a subscription by month or by email, so, plenty of choices either way.
Nick D.
Media Production, Self-employed
March 14, 2019

“Easy to use and full of functionality”

ProsUp and running in no time. Intuitive but fully-featured software.
ConsCan't think of anything I don't like. I've not used anything else, but it does everything I need it to.
March 14, 2019
Jack A.
Emeritus Director of Entertainment & Talent
Entertainment, 11-50 employees
January 24, 2019

“Very useful marketing tool”

ProsVery easy to use design functions. Quick to prepare newsletters etc.
ConsHigh cost of purchasing email credits restricts how much we can use this tool.
January 24, 2019
Maurizio C.
January 6, 2018

“I'm using Direct Mail from many, many years and still happy”

ProsFriendly use, I can send a newsletter in few minutes and the best is that I can check the readers, the time of reading and more info very important for marketing
Consmay be we need more template to choice, but really is difficult to find something that is not working well, but please continue to develop so we can remain with you
January 6, 2018
shann s.
Photography, Self-employed
January 19, 2019

“Love it and it's easy!!!!”

Proseverything so easy to use....learned it in no time
ConsI can't think of anything I love this software!
January 19, 2019
Pieter B.
Managing Director
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
November 20, 2018

“Excellent mailing solution”

OverallSending out news letters and promotional material to customers and users is a cinch.
ProsIt is just so user-friendly and intuitive. The reports are great and you can see exactly what responses and view you are getting
ConsThe template editing could be a little more flexible.
November 20, 2018
Pascal G.
Publishing, 1-10 employees
July 13, 2018

“Sending mails from an external database was easier before”

OverallTime
ProsIt is doing what I want. Connect to an external database, send mail via an externa provider. But things are not working so well. The thing is that data in database are evolving and, in the new version, I have to re-right the request to the database each time in different adress group coming from different database. Spam test is not working. Preferences ares sometime not kept, situation on the screen for exemple.
ConsAgain it does exactly what i want but less easier than previous version . Main point is database connection.

By e3 Software on July 17, 2018
Thanks for your review, Pascal. If you are having any trouble with importing, spam tests, or preferences, please contact our support team and they'll be happy to get things straightened out. Thanks!
July 13, 2018
Xavier H.
Marketing manager
March 21, 2018

“I used this mailing tools since 5 years and it's great...”

ProsCustomization of the templates, very intuitive and easy to use. The reports are complete and it's very important to compare data VS SMS campaign results.
ConsSometimes we have OPT-In list but recipients clicked on Spam Complaints. We use filters to be sure that recipients are OK
March 21, 2018
Bill R.
OPS
January 29, 2018

“I've been using Direct Mail for many years, and every new release brings more and better features!”

ProsIntuitive yet powerful. It's so easy to create a message in .HTML, and simply point Direct Mail to the URL to render a mailing. The reports are easy to create and share - in a matter of seconds. Nothing cumbersome or problematic - it just simply works!
Abbas A.
Photography, Self-employed
January 19, 2018

“Excellent! Love it!”

OverallSaved me a lot of time on email marketing, can track the performance of the marketing and emails
ProsPretty much do a lot of things you would expect to be able to do using a marketing email tool. I have been suing it fot he past 3 years! Better then mailchimp. I would highly recommend this to anyone.
January 19, 2018
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
March 28, 2019

“Awesome Software”

OverallAmazing
ProsIt is very helpful. Without too much cost, it allows me to send emails. Have not faced any problems till date. Also allows you to view clicks.
ConsJust the fact that it's not free but nothing worth having ever is.
March 28, 2019
Ryan V.
April 17, 2018

“Amazing piece of software that keeps its promises”

ProsEase of use, simplicity, import/export features, messages-addresses-reports always ready and visible at glance.
ConsThe only, minor issue, is that you always have to check the sender email. There are no other issues, as far as I can notice.
April 17, 2018
Ce Ann ..
OWNER
January 29, 2018

“Looking for an Apple native app and does it better than Constant Contact or MailChimp? It's here!”

ProsI have TOTAL control in all facets from creation to execution; publishing, campaign follow up, and the minutia details. All here
Moganasundari M.
Project Coordinator
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
October 2, 2018

“5 Reasons Why I Love It”

Pros1. It is user-friendly; you could be the least tech savy person and can still figure out how to use it. 2. The free features are sufficient. I have the free one and it is sufficient use for my small NGO 3. The templates are fun and attractive. Whether its a formal invite or press release, the templates available are official yet personalized.
Cons1. So far nothing. I don't need to send out more than 150 emails a month for our events so everything is fine.
October 2, 2018
Ashley M.
November 15, 2016

“Easy to use for first time users”

OverallI send out newsletters and have a Mac. This has been a really good system for a first time user. It is also cost effective since goes by how many people are subscribers.
ProsEase of use
ConsNot that many creative options

By e3 Software on September 1, 2017
Thanks for the review, Ashley! We hope you get a chance to check out our latest update, Direct Mail 5.0. It packs a ton of new creative options and an expanded gallery of templates.
November 15, 2016
Graphic Design, Self-employed
September 18, 2018

“Starightforward, simple to use”

OverallBrilliant
ProsI can't beleive that you can create, customise and send email campaigns so easily
ConsNothing as yet; still working with it and have yet to discover a real issue.
September 18, 2018