Hero Ratings

Overall

About Hero

Hero K12 is an app that helps districts and schools manage student behavior - reducing classroom disruption, office referrals, and tardiness. Hero supports all positive behavior reinforcement programs, allowing teachers and administrators to award points for positive student activity and participation. By rewarding the good things students do every day, schools build a more positive school culture. Meet Hero schools and read their turnaround stories at HeroK12.com Learn more about Hero

Edgar R.
Principal
August 8, 2017

“We have gained momentun in shifting the culture at our campus and building a positive community.”

OverallWe have increased the engagment in the classroom and are reducing the negative actions. Students are getting used to the positive expectations. We are facilitating more rather than responsing to negative behavior.
ProsWe like the fact that it is web based and we can access it from anywhere. As as administrator, it is a great way to interact with students and give them points at the same time. At lunch, they see us taking our phones out and they know we are issuing points! They sure have their ID ready to scan! Teachers love it because they can now recognize students for displaying positive behavior in the classroom. It is starting to encourage students that would not likely participate be an active member of the classroom. It is easy enough to use that, teachers that are hesitant to use this new technology, are adapting positively. The equipment is simple to use also. Students love the incentives, teachers like being recognized for using it (ie. lunch on the principal), and parents are stating that their child talk about HERO K-12 at home. This year we are opening our VIP Lounge. Our campus is only going to get better. Overall it is fantastic!!! You can follow us on Twitter to see what is trending at our campus at #ccmsthisishowwedoit or #ccmsbethat1person.
August 8, 2017
James B.
July 18, 2017

“Students have responded for me in an extremely positive way.”

OverallGreat Classroom Control!!!
ProsI love that the program rewards positive behaviors and changes the climate of my classroom. I have almost eliminated all classroom disruption. I do not have to do anything to keep my classroom under control. I actually have students that volunteer to do things that they would never have done before. I actually have students who stay behind and clean up my room and organize papers to get those valuable HERO points!!!
ConsFor several months, I wanted the ability to edit the program for my school. Some things were not working properly, but it was due to administration in action and not a fault of the program itself. I do wish that the photo scanner would be upgraded. It is difficult to scan ID tags with the app open.
Jamila I.

“wonderful”

OverallThe benefits inlcude positive feedback, rewards, and motivation for the students.
ProsWhat I like most about the site is it makes it easy for me to complete my challenges in order to get the free stuff. It also allows me to give positive feedback to my students. I like the fact that the software makes it convienient. The school is able to implement a program that is helpful for students and the staff. The principal is able to take time to give positive feedback to the students as well. The students are able to gain stuff for behaving in school. It's difficult to always focus on teh negative in the school. The software allows me to focus on the positivie.
ConsThere isn't anything I don't like about the software. The software has been easy to work and very manageable to the school. The software makes it easy for teachers, administrators, parents, and students to see thier progress. It may be easier if the software wasn't just a browser, but also an app that can be easily accessed. The app can be easily accessible on the computer, cellphone, or any other smart device.
Crystal G.
Special Education Teacher
July 19, 2019

“My Hero”

ProsI like that I can track student behavior in a positive way. I like that students are motivated to do well, so they work really hard at it. I like that we can also track troublesome behaviors discreetly and that the administration received the alerts to manage negative student behaviors, without requiring communication from me.
ConsI think the program is difficult to manage outside of the classroom, unless you have a scanner. The program also is not as user friendly as it could be, which interferes with my teaching, as it takes a lot of time to perform the log entries for a large class.
July 19, 2019
December 11, 2017

“I really enjoy using HERO.”

OverallThe students like when I am monitoring the kindergarten hallway and tell them that they are going to get a point. Once I comment on one kindergarten students excellent behavior and tell them that they are going to get a point everyone shapes up immediately. I wish there was a way to display all kindergarten students on a tablet by class, so I could quickly give them a point based on teacher and first name specifically for monitoring the hallway and I also think this would be an excellent tool for our cafeteria staff.
ProsI like that I can select my whole class then deselect the students that did not earn the points. I also like that I can reward my students at the end of the week for their positive behavior. I also think it is great that I am able to use the app on my cell phone, so I am able to award points to students that are not in my class as I monitor the halls in the morning.
ConsWhen I select my whole class then deselect those students that did not display that behavior, I wish I could adjust the level of points earned for each student between 1 to 5.
Kathleen H.
ESL Teacher
July 25, 2017

“We use Hero K12 at our school to encourage the students in good behavior as well as being on time.”

OverallIt helps to motivate my students in forming good classroom behavior habits. The students are rewarded for getting to the classroom on time and for being prepared to learn in a number of different ways. The students earn points for exhibiting good habits/behavior which they use to earn admission to a special activity about twice every 9 week grading period.
Pros Hero K12 is ab;e and willing to customize the system to the desires and needs of the individual school. This helps us in creating the system that supports the goals and aims of our leadership team.
ConsIt will sometimes take a while for a new student to show up in the system. This may actually be due to our district's system interface with Hero K12.
Scot M.
May 9, 2018

“I use Hero in my classroom every day. Students earn Hero points for meeting classroom expectations.”

OverallMy school has seen major reductions in tardies and increases in positive behavior. I use Hero to motivate my students to follow my classroom procedures, to do well on tests and quizzes, and to do the little extra things that help everyone to get along as a group.
ProsHero has provided my school with a mechanism to incentivize positive behavior by students. The culture change has been dramatic. Our tardies are way down and our students look for ways to do the right thing. The combination of web access and a mobile app makes Hero convenient to use in the classroom.
ConsThe user interface on the website is not very efficient. The alphabetical listing in rows instead of columns makes it slow and inconvenient to find student names. The need to enter information on three separate pages, each of which is often slow to load, makes it time-consuming to enter points.
LeeAnn R.
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
July 31, 2019

“My Hero is your Hero”

OverallLove it!!
ProsStudents love Hero Points and work hard for them. They are able to buy sports tickets, spirit gear and snacks in our after school Hero Store. Students earn Hero points for positive behavior and they love it. Especially the students that have discipline issues, they love to see the points go up and it gives them encouragement to do better
ConsSometimes the web site is super slow and it is a deterrence for other teachers to use.
July 31, 2019
James B.
February 15, 2018

“HERO has changed the way that I manage my classroom. ”

ProsThis program allows me to give positive and negative points based on student behavior. Students can cash out their points for rewards from the front office. It also allows me to track and monitor problem students and focus on them for interventions.
ConsThe report generators could use a lot of help. Sometimes I would like to narrow my searches. The current program does not allow for that.
February 15, 2018
Sitembiso N.
December 11, 2017

“Hero is easy to use and allows the user to be specific about what the hero points are for. ”

OverallHero enables easy classroom management. Students tend to exhibit positive behaviors because the point-system is a reinforcer of positive behaviors while reducing unwanted behaviors. Inadvertently, hero enables the inculcation of positive interactions among students and adults, and the development of social skills necessary for students to function as responsible citizens both locally and globally.
ProsI like that I can target specific behavior by rewarding positive behaviors through a point system.
ConsI can not give the points in retrospect. At the end of the day, if I did not get time to award the points, I cannot go back to do so.
Chelsea G.
ESL Online Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education, 10,001+ employees
November 26, 2018

“Every Teacher Needs This!”

ProsAs a 4th grade teacher, student behavior is always a challenge. Sometimes it is hard to always recognize the good behavior and acknowledge them as well. Hero has simplified my behavior system and helped me keep track of a lot of different things. Easy to use and very convenient for anyone to use. My students, staff members, and I have all been very happy with Hero.
ConsSometimes it freezes and I lose data and have to start over. (Doesn't happen too often) Overall great though!
November 26, 2018
Cassandra R.
October 26, 2018

“Early Bird points”

OverallI really like it. The students want to have avatars though instead of ID pictures.
ProsThe early bird points are easy to give for students that arrive on time for class. I have seen students arrive promptly to get points. Rewarding punctuality often deters tardiness.
ConsI really wish the app scanning feature didn't stick and I could easily scan students at the door upon entry.
October 26, 2018
Shatanner M.
School Counselor
October 5, 2018

“PBIS easy as pie with Hero!”

OverallWith HERO our school can track behaviors that we must address and with our PBIS system operating in an efficient manner, we can reward promptly.
ProsSo easy to track our school's behaviors and the technical support responds immediately. I appreciate being able to read outcomes of schools nationwide who are experiencing success with Hero.
ConsAt this time the single complaint that I am experiencing is probably updates with the system as on occasion, I am unable to access from the school computer, yet am able to access from my personal phone.
Manuela M.
Education Management, 201-500 employees
May 8, 2018

“The system that all have access to is easy to use and award points but accessing data our way hard”

ProsI like that the program allows us to provide staff with parameters while still allowing us the flexibility to let them individualize according to their needs and desires.
ConsI don't like that it is currently not compatible with our Aeries because it would facilitate data recording and allow us to focus on the positive aspects that Hero allows for. I also would like it if we were able to access usage data in a percentile format i.e. we have staff with smaller number of students they see per day compared to others and awarding points each period but when I run report, their numbers are significantly smaller because it is based on total points awarded NOT percentile of points awarded .
April 2, 2019

“Improvements in Hero”

ProsI appreciate the improvements that have been made on hero over the past few years. I feel like they have listened to the customers and made changes to help with the ease of use.
ConsSometimes giving out points can be cumbersome. The app does not work correctly, it's much easier to use the system from the website.
April 2, 2019
John L.
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
December 19, 2017

“I love HERO program and software. I use it daily for my students' behavior.”

OverallI enjoy tracking my students on a daily basis and sharing it with them for future celebrations and behavior reinforcement.
ProsI like the easy access at any time during my school day and the ability to see my students' points as they increase and share that with them.
ConsVery rarely, but sometimes there is a lag or it does not work. Very rarely. Other than that, it's great.
December 19, 2017
Jolene M.
SDC ELA teacher
June 28, 2019

“HERO”

ProsThis software provides users with an effective way of tracking student behaviors and reviewing the results to determine where and how changes need to be made.
ConsThe software does run slow sometimes, however, this also depends on the amount of people using the program at the same time.
June 28, 2019
John A.
June 18, 2019

“Hero Changes Schools Culture”

OverallI love hero. It allows me to reward student for wanted behaviors in the classroom. The students gets immediate positive feedback and positive behaviors are reinforced. It is not easy to get everyone to buy into it at first but once they see the positive things that can arise it becomes a super effective tool for any classroom.
ProsThe software is easy to use and extremely effective in obtain the results that are desired
ConsToo easy to use. Sometimes can get carried away with rewarding behaviors that students
June 18, 2019
Greg B.
October 7, 2018

“Hero K12”

ProsHaving the ability to give instant feedback to students and parents is great. The data we can collect on student behavior is excellent for decision making purposes.
ConsThere are some management features that are not available for Hero admins. For example, I had a lot of issues with student forgetting their passwords. Our students do not have access to email so they can't reset on their own, and Hero does not give admins the ability to reset.
October 7, 2018
Tina F.
Education Management, 11-50 employees
August 11, 2017

“Hero is an excellent program to use with our school's Positive Behavior programs.”

OverallThis software helps our school to teach students to work towards a larger goal.
ProsIt is easy to use. It allows students to work towards a larger goal over time instead of constant expectation of small rewards.
ConsThe program is occasionally slow. I would like to see it work faster at times. Other than that, I have no complaints.
August 11, 2017
Ashley W.
July 25, 2017

“Overall my experience has been positive. I like that I can target specific behaviors with Hero. ”

ProsI like that it is easy to use for me and my students. My students have learned how to give themselves points and are very excited when they are able to. It also allows students to be actively involved and has been really motivating for my students.
ConsI do wish that there was a way to stay logged into the program for longer periods of time. Sometimes I want to award my students points only to find that I have been logged out and it's time consuming to log out again.
Greg B.
Library Media Specialist
July 18, 2017

“Hero is a great management system. With Hero, our students are more actively engaged in behavior.”

ProsHero is very user friendly for staff, students, and parents. The system allows staff to track student behavior and look for trends. Staff can also use Hero for positive reinforcement. Students are able to stay engaged with their positive and negative behaviors. They can use their points for fun incentives. Parents have an opportunity to see how their children are doing in real time. Hero Support is excellent.
ConsHero has a few minor limitations on the administrative side. Some of the reports are lacking a filter that my admin would like. The functionality of the Event system is not great.
Lacy H.
ESE Teacher
July 20, 2017

“Hero is a simple and fun way to increase positive behaviors in students.”

OverallSchool behaviors and culture improved. The students loved earning rewards for positive behaviors rather than strictly negative consequences.
ProsThe program is an easy to use tracking system. The features and functionality are simple. The website and customer support are awesome!
ConsIf you are not specifically tied to a class, (e.g. resource teacher, school counselor, admin) it can be time-consuming to search for students, especially if you want to award a bulk number of points.
July 20, 2017
Karessa P.
Teacher & PBIS Coordinator
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
July 18, 2017

“Hero is easy to use and a great way to shift your focus from negative to positive.”

OverallHero is an easy-to-use solution to a school-wide reward system. In addition to providing positive feedback to our students, it can also be used to track tardies, ID violations, dress code violations, etc.
ProsIt is easy to implement school-wide to gain the most benefit. On our campus, teachers focus on awarding positive Hero points while the administrative team oversees the tardy, ID and dress code violations. I love being able to focus my attention on the positive things happening in my classroom and on our campus.
ConsOur biggest challenge is allowing co-teachers the rights to view the entire class so they can easily give points.
Sabrina L.
Divisional
March 6, 2019

“HERO Review”

OverallIt's been great to see our students and staff get excited about HERO.
ProsThe opportunity to track positive student behavior and provide incentives through our HERO store.
ConsI would like some more reporting options...maybe teacher use by grade level, etc.
March 6, 2019
Althea G.

“Hero”

OverallThe students are more prone to wear their IDs and get to class on time in order to earn points. It definitely increases positive behavior.
ProsIt is very easy to use and it motivates the students to "get caught doing something good"
ConsThere is nothing I don't like. I love it all.
RoseMarie M.
May 8, 2018

“Easy, fun, and helps my students get rewarded for the positives!”

ProsI love that this software allows me to reward ALL students who are doing the right thing. It also helps me motivate and encourage students to change behaviors and see immediate rewards from their changes. I also love that it is a school-wide program, every teacher can use it and it helps build student buy-in.
ConsI wish there was a way to spend points in the classroom easier. I want to let my students get rewards weekly by spending their hard-earned points. As of now, there is not this functionality available to classroom teachers.
Tiana K.
MTSS Coordinator
May 7, 2018

“I love HERO. It's done wonders for our school. :)”

OverallThe climate at school is much better. The kids are happier, and they enjoy coming to the HERO store and earning more points for demonstrating positive behaviors.
ProsI like that it's pretty simple to use, and our support person Alexandra is the best. I also like that the kids enjoy earning points, and that we can have our HERO store for the kids to purchase what they want/need. I also like that this is way more universal than our previous PBIS stuff.
ConsI don't like that we can only give/redeem 250 points at a time. I also don't like that we don't have automatic roster uploads yet.
James H.
Education Management, 11-50 employees
December 14, 2017

“An unbelievable change in tardies and school atmosphere in the minutes after the tardy bell.”

Prosglobal tracking of positive and negative behaviors. being able to have students "spend" their points for rewards at the hero store. being able to use an app to scan student ID's (apple and android).
ConsI guess the biggest downfall really is the lag time I sometimes get when trying to record points for my students. Also, it seems like it takes just one click too many to record the points.
December 14, 2017
Carla V.
Teacher of English
December 12, 2017

“Hero is easy to use and students respond to the positive reinforcement. ”

OverallThere are many benefits to this application. If I had to select only a couple it would be the ease of use and the positive impact it has on students.
ProsWhen it comes to the software, I like the ease of use. Students also able to view their progress and central detentions.
ConsThere really isn't anything I do not like about the software. If I could modify anything it would be the ability to retract a central if I accidentally gave one.
Caitlin O.
Education Management, 5001-10,000 employees
March 20, 2019

“Hero”

ProsI like that I can track so many behaviors (both positive and negative-tardy). I also like that when I track the behavior of a student, I can see what behavioral step they are on. The student search function is also handy. It's nice to be able to find students throughout the entire school.
ConsIt takes you through a lot of steps to mark a behavior.
March 20, 2019
Roxanna S.
February 25, 2019

“Hero Review”

OverallI like the incentive that students receive and their willingness to do the right thing.
ProsI like how easy it is to track student points.
ConsThe website constantly logs me out and I have to log back in each period.
February 25, 2019
May 10, 2018

“Easy way to reward students for wanted behaviors. Really boost positive culture”

ProsSuper easy to use. You can just scan students in using their school IDs. Rewards students instantly that they can turn in to things they want.
ConsWhen it goes down, there is no really easy way to reward students except the old fashion way. When it does go down, it doesn't stay down for long. You also have to have a good internet connection to have it work correctly and quickly
May 10, 2018
Ashley B.

“Resourceful, powerful”

ProsAn easy tool to implement that reinforces positive behavior while also correcting inappropriate behavior.
Consnothing really. There is a learning curve for all parties involved; administrators, users and the students.
Terrence W.
Assistant Principal
1001-5000 employees
December 12, 2017

“Hero K12 has been amazing since we've rolled it out at LMS. Teachers, students and parents love it.”

OverallPositive school behavior is catching on and students are doing better.
ProsI enjoy the positive behavior reporting. Students are now able to find rewards for their hardwork. Additionally, staff can use the software to review their students behavior.
ConsI wish we were about to track incidents more efficiently. I also do not like what the handheld offer.... the use of your smartphone is more practical.
Jessica A.
July 18, 2017

“Easy to learn, Useful product”

ProsAutomatic data collection between all teachers and subjects over specific events (both good and bad)
ConsLimited functionality- adding notes/explanation, limited reports generation, limited control over consequences, etc
Cesar R.
Dean of Students
Education Management, 501-1000 employees

“Great tool ”

OverallOverall I enjoy using this. It has streamlined the way we use PBIS and MTSS in our school. It has made it easy for students to understands the point system and use in class.
ProsIt is easy to use and easy to integrate with PBIS and ongoing school resources.
ConsThere has to be a better or more efficient way to look up data. Also a better way to create actions for trac codes.
Megan G.
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees

“Heroic with Hero”

ProsI enjoy being able to positively reward students for their great behavior!
ConsWhile it is easy to use, it is an extra step to log things in addition to what my school already provides.
Melinda C.
E-Learning, 51-200 employees

“Good Program”

ProsI like the ease of using it. It makes it easier to give students positive reinforcement
ConsNot being able to do incidents on it or how it doesn't connect to PowerSchool
Lisa J.
October 12, 2018

“Buying In”

OverallAt first I was skeptical, but now I see the benefit of using it for positive behavior reinforcement.
ProsIt gives the students the option to see there progress of good. In this day of technology that is something that they will probably take part in.
ConsI would like to see the students be able to cash in their rewards points, online, for prizes.
October 12, 2018

“As a Teacher”

OverallStudents are wearing school gear, coming to class on time, just doing the right thing to get points and it makes others want them too.
ProsThe program is very easy to use. I am liking the new features to give students multiple points that they are doing in the class.
ConsNot being able to create my own class for enrichment class I have look up each student to give them points.
Marlowe C.
Para Educator

“Quick Easy Tracking”

OverallIt is very nice to be able to track positive and negative experiences with the students, their parents can log in and see how their kid is doing.
Prosit's fairly easy to use and straight forward. It has all of the student's contact information in the system so that makes it nice for teachers to be able to call home if needed.
ConsThis system is able to track behaviors and we are able to give students incentives. The only thing I don't like about it is if you make a mistake its a lot of steps to right the problem.
Christine K.
ESE Teacher
August 9, 2017

“I think it is a great program and it worked very well at motivating our students.”

ProsIt was easy to use and find students names. The students were able to give themselves points in out classrooms because we have smartboards.
ConsI would like to be able to give more points at a time to each student instead of having to redo it each time. It would make it easier when you get busy and can't log them in immediately. Would also make it easier if everyone in the school had access to all students without having to search for them. Made it difficulty for resource teachers to give out points.
August 9, 2017
Mark C.
Amazing Teacher
Graphic Design, 1001-5000 employees
July 28, 2017

“If you want to be positive in the classroom, focus on the positive.”

OverallThey rewards and the community of feedback from other users.
ProsThe multiple ways that it can be catered to different teaching styles. Some teachers collect with clipboard tallies and enter later, some scan ID's on lanyards, I use a poster of temporary ID's and draw attention to the process of the rewards so that students know when the points have been allocated.
July 28, 2017
Tina H.

“HERO Review”

OverallIt has been a positive experience but the school has to do their part also. If we weren't offering incentives to the students there would be no buy in.
Proseasy for students to see their progress if they use the app
ConsIf I go too long without using it during the day (break or PLC) it locks up and i have to log and and log back in to use it.
Sports, 11-50 employees
October 5, 2018

“A great program to motivate students.”

OverallHero has helped with reducing tardies.
ProsIt is easy to use and very easy to track student behaviors.
ConsSometimes it lags when i try to enter points.
james w.

“Hero”

Prosit allows teachers to reward and challenge students to improve their behavior
Consno complaints yet, i haven't had any issues that have been a problem
Brenda A.
May 9, 2018

“I use HERO every day to document positive student behavior”

OverallLove the reward system that can be adapted to this software
ProsI can look at each month and see how many points I've awarded each month to each individual students.
ConsI wish I could create more of a 'setting chart' layout to the list of my students. I would also like to select more than one 'behavior' at a time.
May 7, 2018

“My experience has been great for the most part. ”

OverallClassroom management and control over student incentives
ProsI like the ability it gives me to control my class with incentives. Having the ability to award points to the students that come in early to get their work started is a major likable feature.
ConsI don't like the fact that it doesn't allow you to choose the amount of points to award or deduct. There are times when I would like to reward students 50 points at once and that option is not available.
Brittany P.
December 11, 2017

“Hero is really allowing our school to change its culture for the better. ”

ProsI like that it is simple and easy to use. It is easy to train our teacher staff how to use and implement it in their classrooms.
ConsI don't like that I can't assign multiple points to a student at a time. We have several teachers that either forget to assign daily points or that would rather wait until the end of the week to assign points. If they do this, they have to lick on the students multiple, multiple times instead of being able to assign multiple behaviors at a time.