Orbital Shift Ratings

Overall

About Orbital Shift

Orbital Shift is an online staff engagement and management platform that revolutionizes the way businesses of any size manage their workforce. We combine the powers of shift scheduling, employee communication and a web/mobile time clock to help employers save 10% or more on direct labor cost. No more missed shifts. No more miscommunication. No more unplanned overtime. Simple and powerful! Learn more about Orbital Shift

Filippo C.
Head of Sales and Customer Support
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
August 27, 2019

“After a long search we found the perfect software”

OverallI have the chance of my remote desk to set their shifts on their own, and once approved cannot be changed anymore. Same with clocking, using the position and tags I manage to get useful data to feed my performance sheets. Also we can see straight away who's working and who's not all around the world. I can set admin rights quite flexibly.
ProsOrbitalShift fits completely the needs and the functions of my teams, and has got a very detailed and flexible number of settings and admin rights that makes it extremely customisable. I have been able to find exactly what I needed after having reviewed all other possible softwares and never being happy. We can give certain rights to employees without making them admins, all the information is available in a page, and is exportable quite easily, with some customisable reports. OrbitalShift not only is at the centre of the life of my teams but also feeds all other system in a very detailed and granular way. And I have to mention that although we're not one of those customers that can make the fortune of the developers, our request for some minor changes has been implemented within 2 weeks. Making the partnership with OS absolutely strategic. Incredible customer support and help by these fantastic guys who have come up with a brilliant software.
ConsThere was nothing that we didn't like, and what we needed has been implemented quite quickly.

By Orbital Shift on September 13, 2019
Filippo, we love hearing success stories from clients like you! Thanks for the detailed review and 5-star rating. We're happy to be your valued partner. ~ Orbital Shift Team
August 27, 2019
Maggie M.
Systems Manager
Higher Education, 501-1000 employees
August 19, 2019

“Flexible Functionality to Meet Diverse Needs in Higher Education Setting”

OverallOrbital Shift is by far the most outstanding software vendor I have worked with. They are responsive, knowledgeable, and I consider them a partner in our university's time management solution, more than simply a vendor and us the client.
ProsOrbital Shift offers flexibility to allow various departments and end users to work within the software to meet their unique needs. A navigation unlike others I've seen, where managing scheduled shifts, reviewing clocked time, and pulling reports comes together on one screen. Very easy to learn and train on the basic functionality, with many capabilities that allow ease of use. The automated notifications and communication tools empower managers and employees to be more efficient. Orbital Shift's integration with our ERP system has saved countless hours entering employees into the system and processing payroll.
ConsThere was a need for tracking call out and various types of clocked events to abide by union contracts, which Orbital Shift worked with us on, developed in the software, and fulfilled the need. We've generally had all our 'need to haves' met with this software, and there are some 'nice to haves' that are submitted as enhancement requests. Orbital Shift needs to do a better job of communicating new features/known issues/resolved issues, ie publish release notes, when they do software updates.

By Orbital Shift on September 13, 2019
Maggie, thank you for your positive and detailed review of the partnership between your organization and Orbital Shift. We are constantly working to enhance our services so that we can better serve our customers and appreciate your feedback on release notes. Thanks again! ~ Orbital Shift Team
August 19, 2019
Faith M.
Vice President
Furniture, 11-50 employees
February 11, 2019

“Orbital Shift was just what we needed to help get our scheduling and payroll organized!”

OverallOrbital Shift was exactly what we needed to transition our business into more modern and efficient processes to manage our payroll and employee's schedule. We are third generation owners of a retail store. When we purchased the store, so many things were still being done in ways that had been done for decades. We needed something to help expedite our goals of eliminating punching in with a time card, manually calculating payroll, managing vacation time, sick days, other PTO, and just a general overall resource that would help organize group communication. Orbital Shift was this and more! Our entire staff appreciates the ease of use, ease of managing their work schedules. In my opinion Orbital Shift has improved our employees accountability with PTO. In the past we have had a few employees who missed an abnormal amount of work for various reasons.... Since implementing Orbital Shift, the days missed have been greatly reduced. I love the amount of time it saves me to do payroll. It eliminates any human errors when calculating manually. I love that I can view the time clock anytime and see if employees are clocking in and out, approaching overtime, and managing PTO which was once difficult is now easy! I would recommend Orbital Shift to anyone!
Pros Orbital Shift is extremely user friendly. Orbital Shift has been an enormous time saver for me when it comes to scheduling and payroll, which allows me to spend more time interacting with customers and employees. It is very easy to set up and manage. Orbital shift has helped greatly in simplifying our employees schedules as well. Our employees love being able to look at their schedules along with other employees schedules which has greatly improved communication amongst our staff. It easily eliminates scheduling confusion and everyone is on the same page. They love the ease of requesting time off and the ability to pick up an extra shift if the opportunity arises. If someone is sick or unavailable to work a shift, we are able to get someone else schedules immediately. One of the things I love the most- payroll is done in minutes for me versus what used to take up so much more time. Another great feature- monitoring employee's time on the clock is accessible at any point. Orbital Shift is very reasonably priced for all it offers. Anytime I have had a question customer support answers immediately.
ConsI really can't thing of anything.. Orbital Shift has been easy to use, even for our "technology challenged" employees.
February 11, 2019
William C.
Transition Manager
Retail, 51-200 employees
August 22, 2018

“Why Orbital Shift?”

OverallWe have been using Orbital Shift for almost three years. We were using two different systems and I reviewed at least 6 other applications before settling on Orbital Shift. All the systems had distinct capabilities. The functionality met our needs and the system architecture was ideal for management and employees alike. Orbital Shift became the obvious choice after various discussions with their owner and support organization. Applications such as Orbital Shift must be dynamic. Your spending good money for a system that must meet your known needs and be at the ready to meet needs yet to be discovered. We have the utmost confidence in the leadership, developers and support team at Orbital Shift. We found the crew at Orbital Shift to be among the best and brightest of any company we examined. I am more than willing to speak to anyone who may have questions regarding our use and our experiences. For the record, I am not receiving any compensation, gifts, discounts or other special consideration for making these comments.
ProsWe use "tags" to help sort out or filter on various configurations such as shifts and coverage. The copy and paste function works well to create new schedules and their "repeat" function for scheduled events aids in establishing consistency for team members. Creating, moving or changing events is simple. There are also a few different ways to communicate and capture specifics to any given event or schedule. Anyone seriously looking at scheduling software will naturally consider the functionalty. Orbital Shift has excellent features/functionality. As we know, vendor software application features and functionality will always play "leapfrog" with each release. Company A has the best capability until Company B comes out with their best and newest - so on and so forth. If you use features and functionality as the primary or only criteria then you will be missing what I consider to be the true richness of Orbital Shift's product - Their team, their leader and their vision. We selected Orbital Shift because we appreciate the team that supports their products. Customer support has done an excellent job finding outstanding professionals to work on the scheduling software. They listen to their clients, work hard to find solutions to meet user needs and in their spare time, try to anticipate feature richness that enhances your experience. Bottom line - this organization is supportive and adaptive. They care about their clients and they work hard to make a solid product.
ConsI suppose it is good that this is a tough question. I have ideas around feature enhancements or overall capabilities that would make my work easier. Again, this is a great team to work with and I look forward to passing along my ideas. I least like the lack of a changelog or the undo capability should I make a mistake on any given event. That said, they do have an robust export function that serves as a good workaround for the changelog.

By Orbital Shift on September 4, 2018
Hi Bill, Thanks for the great review! The team is happy to hear that you continue to receive real value in Orbital Shift's products and services. As you know, it takes a lot of work to make something simple to use yet powerful in function, and it's clients like you that make it all worthwhile. Thanks again and have a great week!
August 22, 2018
Aaron C.
IT Manager
Hospitality, 51-200 employees
March 6, 2018

“The best time-management service we have used!”

OverallBetter monitoring of employee time management, saved time working on schedules and processing payroll, freed-up management from having to go to a computer every time we need to look-up any shift info, all of which help to save our company money.
ProsThe ability to communicate directly with employees through the service to get shifts covered or request time off is one of the coolest features. Everything about Orbital Shift is simple, yet powerful. It is very easy to schedule shifts for each department, or even multiple locations (we only have one location, so I haven't checked out that part). Moving shifts around is a quick drag-and-drop process, and you can even create recurring shift "templates" for shifts you know you need covered in any given week to make sure you don't schedule short. Copying a weekly department (or entire location) schedule is only a few clicks away. Employees can view their schedule and make requests from anywhere in the world. They can even clock-in and -out on their phones, so you don't need to use a dedicated device at work. You can setup geo location locking by either address or lat long, or network location locking to make sure employees can clock-in and -out only at work locations you specify while using their device. There is an extensive list of reports for payroll or other monitoring, and you can even export to QuickBooks to take much of the work out of processing payroll. Possibly the most important factor in deciding which product to use is the quality of support. Whenever we have had a problem or question, their support team has always been extremely helpful and very quick to respond and resolve issues; top-notch!
ConsWith Orbital Shift, downtime or performance issues are very rare, but hiccups happen, as with every cloud-based service. They have an opt-in notification system that will provide you with on-going status updates until everything is resolved, should a problem arise.
March 6, 2018
Nicholos W.
Museum Coordinator
Museums and Institutions, 11-50 employees
December 18, 2017

“Signing up for this service has dramatically changed our scheduling. It went from painful to easy!”

OverallAs for the above, I have personally recommended this software whenever applicable to meet the needs of other organizations that have to schedule staff - even at conferences on the other side of the country. The greatest benefits have been clearer communication of scheduling, large time savings in creating and managing schedules, and overall better clarity of our needs and budgeting at a glance.
ProsIt takes the onus off of the person scheduling to ensure that they get shifts created and implemented around staff's availability. We have a lot of students with crazy schedules - they are responsible through Orbital in communicating that to us, rather than our previous system of trying to track all of their availability changes on paper or through email. It dramatically streamlines everything about scheduling, from creating it to maintaining it to ensuring that all works within our limited budget. I helped implement this software and can honestly say that where it took me at least 4-6 hours per week to get our schedule created and changed to reflect changes in availability in the old way, changing to Orbital cut that down to probably 1-2 hours. The ease that people can see their schedules and we can modify them is a great feature. We also use the time clock functionality, again a huge time savings in terms of creating reports for payroll. Lastly, we have a dynamic range of programs that utilize the same staff - being able to schedule them accurately for things that happen in our venue as well as off-site is terrific.
Patrick W.
Food Service Director
February 16, 2018

“We have been using Orbital Shift for many years for 200-plus employees in different buildings.”

ProsFacilitates easy scheduling for even complex companies like ours. Takes the onus of shift coverage off managers (mostly). Quickly accessible from basically anywhere in real time. Easy to filter information that can be used to analyze labor. Serves as a solid record of what schedules looked like in prior months or years that can be viewed in seconds. Doubles as a communication tool to push reminders and messages to entire groups of employees either as they clock in or immediately as needed. Customer support follows up quickly when contacted. We've had few issues with the product but they're on it. More typically, we have suggested ideas for development which are taken into consideration.
ConsI manage managers and we'd all like to see a mobile app version that is geared towards how we need to use Orbital Shift. You can access the desktop mode from your phone which works best from that standpoint but it requires enlarging the view and a lot of scrolling around. Not a ginormous problem but we're hopeful to have a manager app since managers are the ones that tend to use the tool most. And we are not always near our computers so a version that moves around as much as we do would be great!
Machele S.
Hotel Manager
December 18, 2017

“Great scheduling and time keeping program with the added benefit of employee and labor management! ”

ProsWhat I like most is that the entire property's schedules are available at our fingertips - we can see who is on shift, who is scheduled, and who is off anywhere on the property. I also love that Orbital Shift helps us control our payroll dollars in so many ways - employees cannot clock in more than 10 minutes early (you set the minutes), have to be scheduled to clock in, and as long as you enter all of the correct information, the program will calculate your payroll dollars per week (or pay period). Orbital Shift is user friendly on the administrative side, as well as the employee side for time keeping. The features of being able to request a cover for your shift and having that go out to all available employees, with the ability to request the shift is also an asset for the food & beverage side of our business.
ConsWe are located in a rural location, if the internet or power is down, our time clock is down. That's not anything against the software, it's just matter-of-fact for our internet based programs (we use three) and our location.
Melissa R.
General Manager/Bookkeeper
Gambling & Casinos, 11-50 employees
December 26, 2017

“My experience with Orbital Shift has nothing but excellent. They offer local and friendly support. ”

OverallThis software was user friendly and allowed me to review a business personally, instead of using generic answers.
ProsFrom a management stand point, Orbital Shift is not only user-friendly, it saves me hours each week on payroll and scheduling. The scheduling templates keep you from making scheduling mistakes and allows for scheduling consistency. Employees are able to create "time off" requests, shift change requests, and unavailable time, which allows, me to accurately schedule. The export option makes the payroll process efficient and precise. I would use Orbital Shift for ease of payroll alone; all the clocking system benefits it offers are an added bonus. Orbital Shift allows employees to communicate scheduling issues between themselves, while keeping management aware of it all. Orbital Shift has been a valuable asset to our business.
ConsOrbital Shift is constantly making improvements, which can cause occasional glitches in the software. However, the team usually makes an attempt to contact you directly whenever there are any malfunctions.
December 26, 2017
Natalie C.
Finance Manager
Entertainment, 201-500 employees
January 30, 2019

“One of the best administrative decisions we could have made!”

OverallStarting a new business with Orbital Shift (6 years ago) was one of the best administrative decisions we could have made. The software has scaled extremely well from one location to three venues, with employees working across all locations. I would highly recommend Orbital Shift's software and mobile apps to anyone looking to make their work lives easier!
ProsEmployee/Manager communication is easy and efficient, with the ability for employees to change shifts and managers to update schedules from any device anywhere. The Orbital Shift support staff is always available to manage urgent issues and handle our company-specific reporting and user requests.
ConsCan't really think of any. Guess that's a good thing.

By Orbital Shift on February 1, 2019
Natalie, thank you very much for the kind words and continued support! You just made our morning :)
January 30, 2019
Tia F.
Event Coordinator
December 14, 2017

“Wonderful! It has been a game changer using Orbital Shift to help us manage our employees! ”

ProsOrbital Shift is a very versatile program that allows the user to customize settings and structure to meet the needs of their business. The robust nature of this program also allows for convenient workflow through the entire scheduling and payroll process. From setting up an employee, to scheduling and swapping shifts, to coding payroll correctly depending on work performed it is all easily managed within this one program.
ConsBecause this program allows for many levels of customization to meet a company's needs, it can be time-consuming to set up correctly to be the most efficient in their case. But the time is quickly made up once the program is up and running!
December 14, 2017
Tyler K.
Software Engineer
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
December 7, 2017

“Easy to use and convenient for accessing my work schedule ”

OverallIt is a simple way to track and manage your works schedule. It optimizes your day by taking hourly scheduling organization and management out of your hands.
ProsOrbital Shift made my work schedule experience much more positive. I used it as a staff member at several busy restaurants. What made my life easier was no longer having to come or call to find out my schedule. I also did not have to deal with calls while on shift from people needing to know their schedule. Shift change requests were easy to make and because managers received notifications for requests I knew that everything was tracked and legitimized. No more word of mouth schedule changes or conflicts.
ConsAt the time of using this software it was the first instance of going from a paper schedule to a software application. It is difficult to find cons with changing from pen and paper to database managed interactions. I suppose accessibility and the learning curve of a change would have to be the biggest con but the system has an intuitive UX and on-boarding support so its not much of a con.
December 7, 2017
Stew W.
Retail, 51-200 employees
September 13, 2019

“One of the highlight accomplishments for our company”

OverallI have been searching for a suitable Time & Attendance package on and off for the past 35 years or so. Every single one that I've evaluated either did not have the necessary features or if it did satisfy the feature requirement, it was simply too complex to learn and use and therefore to be a practical consideration. Having the feature set and being easy to use just seemed to elude every provider's attempt at an acceptable Time & Attendance package. Until now It seems that after 35 years, the ultimate Time & Attendance package has arrived!
ProsOrbital Shift has all the features that we need in our six-location, 200 employee Company. Yet, it is so easy to learn and use that all of our locations' Store Managers were trained and up and running on Orbital Shift in remarkably short order.
ConsCan't think of any, which is a good thing.

By Orbital Shift on September 16, 2019
Stew, thanks for the kind words and feedback! We're thrilled you love the features and ease of use. Have a great week! ~ Orbital Shift Team
September 13, 2019
Connie M.
Superintendent of Business and Communications
Recreational Facilities and Services, 51-200 employees
February 7, 2019

“Best customer service we have ever experienced!”

OverallI have over 45 years working in the business sector, and I can say without hesitation that Orbital Shift provides the best customer service I have ever experienced. Period. What other company calls its new customers, on a weekly basis, to check on their progress? What other company calls to answer any questions the customer might have? What company answers tickets within one business day? NONE. Your business model is exemplary.
ProsIt's a very friendly and intuitive product. Ease of scheduling staff and monitoring labor hours is a big plus. Also, the alerts and notifications sent by the software really help our managers stay on top of changes and issues in real time.
ConsMy staff and I absolutely love the software, no complaints.
February 7, 2019
Kristin W.
December 12, 2017

“Orbital Shift has eased the burden of scheduling and payroll”

ProsIt allows my staff the ability to manage their own schedule online, easily requesting time off and getting shifts covered. It has been easy to train staff to use Orbital Shift and has increased employee engagement and productivity. Additionally, it saves me time spent on scheduling staff and payroll that I can put to other areas of management.
ConsPrinting a hard copy of the schedule takes a little more time. The ability to customize how you print is a nice feature, it just requires more steps and takes longer.
Ryan W.
December 12, 2017

“Simple, reliable, efficient scheuling software that makes scheduling in the food industry a dream.”

ProsI love the ability to copy and paste schedules from week to week. This is a huge time saver and makes the process much quicker. I also like the fact that shift requests can be peer to peer w/ admin only approving the request.
ConsI wish the printing of the actual schedule was more detailed. We want to be able to post the schedule as you see it online and there are a few things missing compared to the online schedule that you see when logged in.
Sherri B.
Retail, 11-50 employees
August 9, 2018

“Heebs review”

OverallI think the system is great. The ease for my staff to clock in and out on the tablet is wonderful. The staff at OS and customer support is great as well.
ProsThe ability to import my payroll data directly to my quickbooks program.
ConsThe way we have to set up Sunday pay - also the special dates such as holidays can only be put in one at a time. In other words, July 4th is the same every year so it would be nice to have that set up as holiday pay indefinitly
August 9, 2018
Robin D.
Restaurants, 11-50 employees
September 7, 2018

“Try Orbital Shift and you won't be sorry!”

OverallI love the ease and flexibility of scheduling my crew using this software. Everyone is always on the same page, no excuses anymore for missing work! Plus the payroll feature has saved me so much time doing my payroll.
ProsThis company has put together a great package...I use it for scheduling and for payroll, and it has made my life so much easier! Plus their customer service team is awesome, they answer quickly and resolve all issues as soon as possible.
ConsNo cons...small learning curve when you first start, but I think that would be true for any new software.
Jay T.
Managing Partner
Restaurants, 11-50 employees
December 19, 2017

“Orbital shift makes scheduling for my 45 employees a breeze! ”

OverallIt save countless hours of my time!
ProsI employ a large amount of students, not having to remember or have notes on all of their class schedules, or other time off requests is amazing.
ConsIt might be a little to easy for an employee to ask for time off. What would be great is if they had to get some sort of an approval to put in for more than like 3 days or maybe that is a setting an administrator could customize.
December 19, 2017
Jessica H.
Service Industry/bartender/server
December 13, 2017

“Orbital Shift has made it easy and convenient to use my schedule on the go or at my computer. ”

ProsThe software is user friendly and makes it easy to see my schedule, make schedule requests, and create cover requests for other employees to see. The customer service team processes my issues in a timely manner and is always pleasant with our interactions. They also check back to make sure my issue was resolved and if I need further assistance.
December 13, 2017
Ryan O.
Restaurants, 1-10 employees
February 16, 2018

“Great Product. A real time saver”

OverallTime Saver, accountability.
ProsGreat option for both management and employees. Very easy and effective way to ensure everyone is on the same page with scheduling.
ConsNot much here. Sometimes some functions are not as easily found as others, but once you know where to look it seems intuitive.
Doug B.
Human Resource Specialist
Retail, 201-500 employees
September 7, 2018

“Orbital Shift has changed the way we schedule”

OverallThe ability to schedule staff in multiple departments has been a game changer for our business. Also, staff being able to see their schedule online or mobile app along with being able to submit time off requests is a benefit for staff. We have also been able to centralize scheduling, save paper and save time which saves money.
ProsVery intuitive software with great support from the Orbital Shift staff. We have found this software flexible and easy to use. Schedule a large number of staff in multiple departments and finding coverage for open shifts is now a breeze. The web browser and mobile app makes it easy for managers and staff to utilize all of the features. Templates with repeating schedule events is another time saver and great benefit for set schedules.
ConsWith the software being web based if your internet connection is slow or interrupted it affects the punch clock. This is not fault of Orbital Shift rather an internet issue.
Jerry K.
Store Manager
February 16, 2018

“Orbital shift has streamlined our scheduling process immensely. I highly recommend it.”

OverallIts functionality is perfect for what we need.
ProsThe ability to communicate with employees on shift request coverage and be able to see what each department is spending compared to what they have been allocated is an invaluable feature.
Tim F.
President/Owner
Retail, 11-50 employees
February 20, 2018

“Very professional staff and they always respond immediately to questions or concerns”

ProsAfter one training session, each of our department managers can easily create and manage their staff. The communication via text and email is essential and the labor budgeting is accomplished easily.
February 20, 2018
Jessica S.
Group Fitness Manager
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 201-500 employees
August 14, 2018

“PEAK GFM Review”

OverallRep has been a huge help. We appreciate his availability and willingness to teach us how to use the software.
ProsThe features are relevant to our department. When we utilize them, it makes shift processes much easier.
ConsThere needs to be a way to communicate shift coverage. A notification should be sent to all eligible subs when a shift is covered, so everyone knows there are no outstanding shifts.
August 14, 2018
Dash R.
Co-Owner
December 15, 2017

“Easy to use tool that allows our company and employees to keep schedules on track.”

ProsFirst off, the customer support is the way it is supposed to be. Responsive, friendly, and a get it done attitude makes troubleshooting a breeze.
ConsI wish there was a notification for when folks pick up shifts that are generally not theirs. this would help to ensure that irregular shifts are remembered.
December 15, 2017
Caitlin J.
Server
December 8, 2017

“I love using Orbital Shift! Getting a shift covered is a breeze!”

ProsI like being able to view my schedule from my phone, easily posting when I need a shift covered, and getting a text right to my phone that a shift is available for me to pick up.
ConsI would say that the interface could use some love to give it a more modern look. It looks a bit like it's from the 90's.
December 8, 2017