DyKnow Ratings

Overall

About DyKnow

DyKnow is a classroom management software that helps teachers... Monitor Student Devices, Defeat Distractions, & Keep Students On-Task. Students are off-task on their device an average of 11 times per class. Teach confidently knowing that DyKnow makes sure student Chromebooks, PCs, and Macbooks are used for learning. Learn more about DyKnow

John D.
Science Teacher
March 19, 2017

“Dyknow Keeps the Students Honest..or else!”

OverallI use DyKnow primarily to keep up with student's on-task behavior. Blocking schemes work well to keep them from specific sites and applications OR to allow them only on certain sites and applications. I can take a quick look and the thumbnails will very easily allow me to detect "off-task" computer activities. I can tell if they are doing something they shouldn't be doing (games, shopping, and watching video are easy to spot with a quick glance). Dyknow is an extremely valuable tool for a teacher in a 1:1 environment.
ProsMost important functions for me are accessed quickly. It's "Class Analytics" feature keeps a "history" of student activity while you are monitoring them, making it possible to go back later and see what they were doing...or not doing.
ConsThere are some features when using "Class Analytics" which have been a little "buggy" for me, such as clicking on one date in the past to see student activity (I have found a workaround on that one by clicking on an adjacent date.) There are isolated cases when blocking that students have an issue using a program which is not being blocked. This gets into a more technical aspect than I can explain well and I am sure it can be rectified in the future. Could be the other applications which cause this for a small number of students.

By DyKnow on March 20, 2017
Hi John - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about using DyKnow Cloud! We're so glad to hear how beneficial it is to your classroom. Class Analytics: If you double click a single date, you can view Analytics for only that day :) Blocking: If you ever find an app or website that isn't being blocked as expected, please email support [at] dyknow [dot] com or use our in product chat feature, and we'll get to the bottom of it right away!
March 19, 2017
Anthony B.
6th Grade Teacher
Education Management, 10,001+ employees
March 17, 2017

“Great for monitoring, could be better when it comes to action”

OverallWorks great for helping teachers monitor student behavior on chromebooks. The two main flaws that I have noticed are: 1) If a student downloads a chrome extension (many games are available this way), it does not show up on the monitoring screen, but rather says "Out of Browser". Teachers are unable to block these activities. 2) Teachers cannot take over individual student screens. The ability to take over an individual student's screen and click on the correct link (or links) for them would allow for redirection or assistance without hassle. This would also help alleviate the above issue, as it would allow teachers to manually "x out" gaming apps. Other than these two issues, I enjoy using Dyknow and trauly believe that it holds students accountable for their actions on the Chromebook.
ProsHolds students accountable, allows me to multitask.
ConsNo manual takeover, no way to combat gaming through web extensions

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Anthony! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. As for the extensions on student devices, it's our best practice for the campus to prevent this at the Google Admin level. If that's not the case, an "Allow Only" plan with the websites your students should be using will prevent access to all extensions. Add "Web Browsers" as an application to your Allow Only plan. Thanks for the idea about taking "remote control" of student devices! We will share this with our Product Manager. Here's a "how to" article for building an Allow Only blocking plan: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/204065406
Loran P.
September 25, 2018

“I love DyKnow!”

OverallIt has helped tremendously with classroom management. I am able to maintain rapport by not calling distracted students out to the entire class. It also allows me to see what my students are actually working on in real time during independent work time. That is huge! They can't just quickly minimize the video they were actually watching instead of working on their assignment. I wish I would have had DyKnow where I last worked. I don't know what I would do without it now!
ProsI did not realize how great that DyKnow is until I started working where I do now. I don't have to wander about the room and have students quickly minimize the YouTube video they were watching instead of working on their assignment. I can block distracting activities and send a discreet message telling a student to get to work instead of making an announcement to the class that a specific student is distracted.
ConsI wish there was a way to make multiple segmented blocking groups. I want to be able to block everything from kids who are far too distracted and unblock some things for those students who are more intrinsically motivated.
September 25, 2018
Chelsea L.
English Teacher
December 5, 2017

“Helpful, Functional, and Fun”

ProsI love that this software is easy to use and functional in the classroom. DyKnow truly has made a difference in my classroom. Not only is it helpful in monitoring and limiting computer use, but it also helps keep students engaged. The feature where you can poll the audience, check for understanding, and send the students to a certain website by opening it on the computer has really revolutionized the way I teach. It has also saved classroom time. Instead of waiting for students to type a URL, find a website, etc. I can just open it on their computer screen and not have any troubleshooting.
ConsThe hardest thing about this software is really just user error. I sometimes forget to end and start the monitoring each class period. I wish there was a way to set time parameters and have it automatically end and stop class periods according our bell schedule.

By DyKnow on December 7, 2017
Hi Chelsea! Thanks so much for leaving your kind feedback :) It's actually on our short term roadmap to release the ability to automatically monitor ;) We'll be in touch about that soon! -Abbey
December 5, 2017
Juvy M.
Grade 8 ELA Teacher
Education Management, 51-200 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
December 29, 2018

“DyKnow must be known by all teachers to hold students liable for every classroom activity! ”

OverallMost of the teachers are having problems on monitoring the students' activities on their gadget and this software solves my classroom management issues on proper used of the iPad. I am no longer thinking whether my students are on-task or off-task because through this software every single action of the student on the gadget is monitored.
ProsI was searching on the net of the perfect software that can help me strictly monitor the iPad activity of my students and then DyKnow came out. DyKnow is a very useful classroom management software because this innovation helps me to handle my class well in identifying every online activity of my students. This software monitors every single detail of every task that student is doing on their iPad and what particular applications they are doing - a very cool application and it empowers me because I can do multitasking. The feature that I like most about this software is that I can block and unblock each student's screen and I can takeover of what they can and cannot do on their gadget.
ConsThis software is the answer to my problem on how to strictly monitor on the use and abuse of using the technology. If this software is properly set-up, everything works perfectly. I have nothing to complain as far as the technical functionalities of the software are concerned. This software for me is excellent to make sure that technology used is properly implemented in my classroom.
December 29, 2018
Joshua F.
March 27, 2018

“Dyknow's been a huge help in a 1 to 1 setting as a teacher”

OverallAccountability and Control of the digital classroom
ProsThis software enables you to completely and reliably monitor students, control their acess, record their activities, and provide accountability for online assessments. I don't know how I could teach in a 1 to 1 setting without dyknow or a program similar to it. Dyknow tames the internet and the tablet for learning in a classroom full of kids with tablets to actually occur. It also is fairly easy to set up and run with minimal effort on a day to day basis.
ConsIt's dependent on the internet connection, so students still can be sneaky in some ways if testing. Students can and will find ways around it or create headaches; although this is a minority of students. It's not perfect, but its the best thing I've found out there for all practical purposes, and it works well 95% of the time with 90% of students.
Beth W.
March 17, 2017

“GREAT tool for student monitoring”

OverallDyKnow is a fantastic product for monitoring your students in real time! I LOVE the features of being able to instantly block students who are making inappropriate choices and messaging them to get them back on track. The blocking plans are also another wonderful feature to keep students focused on the task at hand. Overall, DyKnow is a wonderful tool and has become essential in my daily classroom activities. Highly recommended!
ProsThe ease of use & being able to message students/block students in real time
ConsI wish that I was able to see all the tabs they had open instead of just the open screen... many of my students keep game or music tabs open, but I can't see them unless that is their active screen. I'd LOVE to be able to see all tabs!
Recommendations to other buyersnone at this time

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Beth! Thank you so much for taking the time to share :) I'll mention your request to see all tabs to our Product Manager! In the mean time, if students navigate to one of those open tabs, not only will you see it in Activity Tracker and the thumbnail, but it will also make an appearance on the student's Analytics report :) That way if you happen to not see it in real time, there's still a record that it happened. Here's a "how to" article on Analytics: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/215244648 Thanks again!
Josh F.
teacer
May 6, 2017

“Overall, I've had a very positive experience with dyknow over the years. ”

OverallAccountability and less stress in classroom discipline
ProsIt's allowed me to better facilitate learning and accountability in the classroom. I love the diagnostic features which help me know which kids are on task or are not. Also, I enjoy that while students are being "monitored," I don't have to constantly monitor them, which has been my experience with other programs.
ConsThe only main issues I've had with Dyknow have more to do with connectivity and troubleshooting problems. These issues were handled in the IT department as opposed to the classroom. Those problems over the years have grown fewer and fewer as the product and as well as our school internet connections have developed.

By DyKnow on September 20, 2017
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, Josh!
May 6, 2017
Amy H.
8th Grade Teacher
March 17, 2017

“Do You KNOW what your students are doing?”

OverallDyKnow is a must have for any school that utilizes technology on a regular basis. Yes, it is important that teachers are up and walking around to check what students are doing, but students are VERY sneaky and they can often hide things with just a single swipe. With DyKnow, teachers have instant access to the student across the room or even the student in study hall who SHOULD be working on homework. I've even used it from home when I have a sub so my kids at school know I'm always watching. DyKnow helps students stay on task, and it is an essential tool in a 1:1 school like mine.
ProsTeachers can instantly access one student's screen or the whole class's. I can also block or restrict certain sites. This is especially awesome when we are doing an online quiz. No Googling for answers!
ConsSometimes it lags and it makes it difficult to monitor. This is not the norm, however.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Amy - thank you so much for taking the time to share! We appreciate it and are so glad to hear DyKnow is a valuable addition to your classroom :)
Jim S.
Teacher, Instructional Leader
March 17, 2017

“When it works, it is really good!”

OverallThis software actually delivers what it promises. The only negative experiences I've had have been server related, as in when the servers hosting DyKnow go down. There are some quirks, as with any software, but overall I'm satisfied with its reliability and performance. Kids figure out ways around it occasionally, but we have ways of thwarting them. I especially like the way I can quickly switch between blocking plans and have different students, or groups of students, on totally different plans. Some I want to lock down, others will control themselves! The messaging component is also another favorite feature.
ProsDoes what it says. Very responsive customer service. Flexibility with blocking and allowing sites and apps. Messaging component is a nice "Big Brother" touch.
ConsGlitchy at times. Some students don't show up. Sometimes slow to work.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Jim - We appreciate you taking the time to share! We've been doing a lot of work on our servers to keep them in tip top shape, and continue to prioritize this work for our customers. If you ever find a student isn't showing up, please let us know by using our chat feature in the product, or by emailing support@dyknow.com with the student's name and time of day this happened. We'll get to the bottom of it right away!
Sandra L.
Technology Integration Specialist
March 20, 2017

“DyKnow Cloud is a Lifesaver”

OverallAs the DyKnow admin, I have to say that the ease of use in Cloud far exceeds the previous DyKnow Monitor. I am especially appreciative of your efforts to continually improve the product by taking the advice and suggestions from your customers. Your support team is attentive and knowledgeable and can answer questions in "English"--unlike some other IT support teams that I personally think make up big words to confuse the customer. : ) Thanks for all you do to keep us up and running.
ProsVarious ways you can monitor students--not just thumbnails. The Activity Trackers is a great addition. Segmented blocking was greatly appreciated too.
ConsOf course some of our teachers still bemoan the loss of some of the "Vision" features.
Recommendations to other buyersNope - you guys are awesome!

By DyKnow on March 20, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, Sandra!! We love serving STM classrooms :)
Todd B.
201-500 employees

“Very Helpful”

OverallI have used DyKnow in my classes for two years. I like that I am able to see my student's screens and monitor what they are doing. One drawback is that if the students set up a split screen, DyKnow can't see them both...only the first one. So students have found a way around monitoring. But....the teacher can limit the class to one or only a few sites easily. I like the product. I wish they would find a way around the split screen issue.
ProsCan monitor students while the visit websites.
ConsStudents have found a way around monitoring by using split screens.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Todd, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. It sounds like the students may have two windows open side by side. Due to some limitations in Chrome OS, DyKnow shows the active window as you noted. However, when the students click into the secondary window, any blocking plan immediately takes place here, and that URl is now also documented in Analytics :) For more detailed info about this, feel free to use our in product chat feature, or email csm [at] dyknow [dot] com any time!
Christopher I.
Middle School Business/CTE Teacher
March 17, 2017

“Great Way to Keep Your Students on Task”

OverallI have anxiously waited for and embraced this technology since day one. I am so happy that our school district realized the importance of have such a useful tool. One of my favorite aspects is the ability to be able to print which website students have been using or trying to use. I will take that information to a parent/teacher conference and the students never see it coming and the parents are usually shocked! It speaks for itself. One feature that I have recommended was one whereby a teacher could share their blocking plan with another teacher, content area, grade level, etc. Finally, I would like to see an easier way to "capture" a screen shot. Having to copy and paste into a Word document, then save it, can be tedious. Overall, the best thing that our district has ever invested in.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Christopher - Wow! Thanks so much for sharing your positive experiences with us :) We love hearing DyKnow has been a valuable addition to your classroom! Thanks for the idea to share blocking plans between teachers, I have mentioned this to our Product Manager for a future enhancement! One tip for you: To save a screenshot, just right click and "Save as Picture". Here's a "how to" article: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/215244778
Hollie N.
Education Management, 11-50 employees

“Great easy-to-use product”

OverallI teach middle school, and anytime my students are on their chromebooks, I use Dyknow. I know whenever they try to sneak away from our assignment to check their email, surf the web, or to do anything else. It's easy to use and very effective. I have stopped several fights due to emails popping up and me accidentally seeing what was about to happen... When a student strays from an assignment, I can easily send them a private message saying to get back to work. They then know I'm watching them, and very rarely do I ever have a kid commit a second offense. The program is very efficient and even teachers with very little technology experience can use it.
ProsEasy, quick, and efficient to use.
ConsSometimes a few kids don't come up. If they don't come up, we can't keep an eye on what they're doing.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Hollie - we really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Thank you! I'm so glad to hear DyKnow is valuable to your classroom :) Any time a student doesn't appear in your class, a great first step is to ask the student to restart their device. Also, please feel free to email support [at] dyknow [dot] com with the name of the student, and our team in Indianapolis will take a look right away!
Emily S.
March 20, 2017

“Essential tool for a 1-to-1 classroom”

OverallWe've been using DyKnow in some form since 2010, and it has proven to be a huge help in managing distractions. The newer Cloud version is easy to use on the teacher side--it's highly intuitive and has a simple UI. I primarily use an "Allow Only" plan, which lets students access a preset list of sites and apps that we regularly use in class, but it's quick and easy to edit the blocking plan you're using (where you get the option of making a change only for the current session, or save it as a permanent change), switch to a "Block Only" plan, or just release the students from blocking entirely and block sites/apps on the fly if you need to. A few things I've appreciated: - Segmented blocking - This is especially useful when students are working in groups, taking tests (students who finish can be released to a different blocking plan), or when a student is absent but happens to be using their laptop during class. - Timed blocking - This is awesome for those of us who sometimes forget to release the students when class ends... - The activity tracker - An easy way to know at a glance what the students are doing. - Adding apps - DyKnow customer support has been really quick to respond when an app isn't in their database--I can't think of a time when I had to wait longer than a day for them to act on a request. One feature I miss from the old desktop version is the chat feature, which I used to use to allow students to ask questions during tests. Cloud does have tools for teachers to send out messages and multiple choice/true-false/yes-no questions, but doesn't (yet?) have a way for students to ask their own questions. The ability to push documents to students was nice too, but we have other tools for that now, so I don't really miss it.

By DyKnow on March 20, 2017
Hi Emily - WOW! Thank you so much for taking the time to share such detailed feedback on how you use DyKnow in your classroom. We appreciate it!
Eric A.
March 17, 2017

“Dyknow - This changes everything”

OverallThis software enables users to monitor the activities of students on their computers. Before Dyknow we had to situate monitors facing a teacher desk or constantly move around the room to check on what students are doing. This made small group instruction nearly impossible!! Now we can monitor in real time from one screen and check history if questions arise. Dyknow will also allow me to send messages to select students or the entire group so now I don't have to speak across the class to ask for small flexible groups to come and meet. A simple silent message to targeted students is all that is needed. My voicebox thanks you! I can also send out a link when it is time to move on to new instruction and the computers will go there directly instead of me needing to walk around and fix everyone's link or find their bookmarks. I can also block sites that students keep going to everytime I turn my back. You can even make groups of students with certain websites allowed or blocked. That means trustworthy student might be able to access sites like you tube when other students are blocked. It's a great investment.
ProsIt does so so much to help me manage the computers in class in a way that enables me to multi-task.
ConsIt can get slow and crashes more often than I would desire.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Eric - You're a true power user! You hit on so many of our features, we're so glad to hear you're getting the most of DyKnow and it's valuable to your classroom. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are constantly striving to continue improving the performance of DyKnow Cloud, and you have our commitment that performance and reliability are our #1 priorities!
Corban W.
High school chemistry teacher
Writing and Editing, 501-1000 employees
March 18, 2017

“Efficacy in Honors Science”

OverallI've found that this software is a very simple and effective way to limit distraction in the classroom. The black and white data shows, without bias, whether the student was engaged with the content or choosing to wander the internet. This software is helpful in gaining an understanding of a student's pattern in classroom behavior, leading to conversations between students, parents, and educators concerning what may be best for their child's success.
ProsThe ability to track history over specific ranges of time; the past 6 months, the past year, since the beginning of class, in the past week, etc.
ConsUnlocking a student's screen can sometimes be more difficult than it should be.
Recommendations to other buyersIt's ineffective if not used every day. No data is generated and accountability is not established.

By DyKnow on March 18, 2017
Hi Corban - Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about DyKnow Cloud! We're so glad to hear you find our Analytics to be valuable in your classroom. We'd love to hear how you might improve our "unlock" feature - please use the in product chat or email csm [at] dyknow [dot] com anytime to share with our Product Manager!
March 18, 2017
Corabn W.
Chemistry Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education, 501-1000 employees

“Well worth the money”

OverallDyKnow allows for behavior and engagement to be managed in a very gentle manner. This eliminates arguments and struggles for power that ever might occur; great tool.
ProsThe ability to pull up usage data for individual students over specific ranges of time is nice.
ConsThe blocking is sometimes too general or too difficult to remove. A simple feature is made complicated.
Recommendations to other buyersIt would be useful if I could change the URL of everybody's computer at once. Time would be saved if I could just copy and paste my URL into theirs to take them to the website that I am on. They wouldn't have to ask where the link is or how to copy or ask if they should type it or if they're on the right site.

By DyKnow on March 20, 2017
Hi Corabn! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback :) Here's a trick: If you copy the URL you want to send to students, you can paste it into an Unlocked Message and click "Send" - this will launch the website on each student's Chromebook! We'd love to hear more about how you'd simplify blocking. Please chat us in the product or email csm [at] dyknow [dot] com any time!
Justin T.
March 17, 2017

“Really Good, Could be Great”

OverallThe product is really easy to use. Very intuitive and visual. There are a couple of features I wish it had. The questions sections could use the ability to organize it into units or themes. I would like the ability to send messages to students from the class view, instead of having to go to the specific student view first. Also, the program is a little slow to respond and load. That could be improved. Overall this is a really good program and I use it often for a variety of things.
ProsEasy to use.
ConsSlow to respond and load.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Justin, Thanks for taking the time to share! To send a message to all students from your Class view, check out the Bell icon on the right side of your screen. When you click this icon and select "Send a Message," you can select "Select all Students" and send your message with one click! Here's a How To article with screen shots: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/217202737 We definitely like the idea of organizing your questions, and will share this with our Product Manager! We're also constantly continuing to improve the speed with which DyKnow is delivered to you :) Thanks again!
David H.
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
March 23, 2017

“DyKnow is perfect for my Alternative Classroom as a tool to stay on task.”

OverallMy expereince with DyKnow has been all positive. During my day Students are often online as well as wroking in the classroom. DyKnow is the tool that has allowed me to manage multiple classes at teh same time. With DyKnow I am able to hold classroom discussions while at the same time monitor other students working online and keep them on task. DyKnow is the product that facilitates my teaching experience. I cannot imagine not have it available. A great tool that is customizeable to the individual teacher.
ProsEase of use.
ConsDependent on internet connectivity.

By DyKnow on March 23, 2017
Thanks so much for sharing, David! We're so proud to be part of your classroom and teacher workflow :)
Corban E.
Chemistry Teacher
September 12, 2018

“DyKnow Teacher User”

OverallIt is useful.
ProsThe ability to save setttings is really helpful. I am able to monitor any site my students access and keep them on task without having to walk around the room.
ConsIt's very strange to me that a student can't be monitored by more than one teacher. It makes the software freak out. It seems like DyKnow should boast about its depth and processin power.

By DyKnow on September 20, 2018
Hi Corban, thank you for reviewing DyKnow! DyKnow does allow up to 2 teachers to monitor a class at once. You can find more information on how to co-teach a class with DyKnow here: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004221187-DyKnow-Cloud-Add-a-Co-Teacher Please let us know if you have any other questions. -Rachel
September 12, 2018
Agatha B.
Department Chair
March 20, 2017

“Love being able to monitor my students during class!”

OverallMy school has an account for all freshmen and sophomores because we started a chromebook program. I love being able to block certain sites or allowing only the sites I want to use during that class period. It does freeze sometimes and I have to restart but that's the only problem I've had. I really love it! I wish we had accounts for the seniors and juniors too!
ProsAbility to block sites Ability to allow only certain sites Ability to see student activity in real time Reports of student usage
ConsSometimes freezes

By DyKnow on March 20, 2017
Hi Agatha - Thanks so much for taking the time to share! We love hearing how DyKnow is helping your classroom :) If you run into a specific event when the product freezes, please email support [at] dyknow [dot] com and we'd be happy to look into it!
Christina B.
ELL teacher

“Helpful to Focus”

OverallI have enjoyed using DyKnow in my classroom. It helps me keep my students focused and on track with what we have to do for the day. It is easy to block and unblock websites and apps as I need to. I like having the message feature that allows me to send individual messages to students as they are doing their work. I also like the feature of being able to see my students' computer screens all on my computer. It helps me know if they are having trouble with something in their work.
ProsI can block unnecessary apps and websites during class.
ConsI seem to have a lot of problems with it just loading. It also blocks some apps even when I have them listed under the allow only tab.
Recommendations to other buyersIt is good software idea, and I think it will continue to get better.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Christina! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. When you get a chance, we'd love to help you with your blocking plans. Please email support [at] dyknow [dot] com or use our in product chat feature! :)
Computer Software, Self-employed
August 23, 2018

“Classroom lecture management made easy”

ProsTechnology can either be a distraction in a classroom if students are using them in non-productive ways, yet they can be a boon if they can be used properly in a classroom setting. Dyknow is a tool that helps point tech in the classroom towards the latter, more helpful outcome. It provides many useful tools for monitoring students, delivering lectures, and student engagement. Since Dyknow is cross-platform, it can be deployed on school computers as well as a variety of personal devices owned by students.
ConsStudents will try their hardest to work around Dyknow monitoring. In environments where students have Dyknow installed on their computer, reliability can be spotty, cutting into class time while trying to diagnose certain problems.
August 23, 2018
Sharon G.
English Teacher/Department Co-Chair
March 17, 2017

“DyKnow Review and Appeal”

OverallI really enjoy the functionality and features of DyKnow Cloud but still miss DyKnow Vision greatly. I loved the interactive nature of the program and my ability to control certain aspects of teaching/presentation/assessing. DyKnow Vision was a 5-star tool; DyKnow Cloud/Monitor is more a 3 or 4-star program--largely because it doesn't transform instruction the way the the other tool did.
ProsThe ability to keep my students focused and free from distraction; also the ability to share screens/student work with other students.
ConsSometimes I get frustrated with waiting for the bubbles to "explode"--a problem I did not have with DyKnow Vision--and I greatly miss the features DyKnow Vision provided for guided and interactive learning.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Sharon - Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback on DyKnow! We appreciate how much you loved Vision :) Microsoft OneNote is a really awesome program to replace Vision with almost an identical feature set!
Jim H.
Department Chair
April 2, 2019

“Know what your students are working on.”

OverallIn a lab where students are working independently it works fantastic to check student progress and helps keep them on task. You have the ability to restrict access to websites while allowing students to work on the recommended or required sites. Once the student is done with a progress that restriction can be removed instantly. It also allows teachers to set up specific web rules in their classrooms without restricting other teachers. All in all I think this is one of the best programs for classroom management of school issued computers.
ProsThe ability to view student workstations in real time.
ConsIt's a little glitchy working with mac's, but they are improving it all the time.
April 2, 2019
Jeff A.
201-500 employees
March 17, 2017

“A Good Program Getting Even Better”

OverallI use this in a high school classroom and it has become an invaluable too to help me monitor the progress and activity of my students. Dyknow also helps me know what me students are doing when I cannot be right beside them and to help me redirect their work as needed. I also enjoy using it's blocking features to restrict the use of the internet during tests and essays so that students may still use technology but not the full internet to write their papers. Overall it is easy to learn and very effective a few bugs early that have mostly been ironed out.
ProsMonitoring features Messenger Restricting internet access as needed.
ConsStudents occasionally find ways to get out of monitoring.
Recommendations to other buyersPlay with it to learn the ends and outs of it!

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Jeff - thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! We are working hard each day to continue improving DyKnow for your classroom :)
51-200 employees
June 6, 2018

“Easy to use in school environment and for teachers”

Pros- see what students are doing - able to turn in documents through software - can display messages and freeze student screens
Cons- agent must be installed on each computer and it has to be pre-configured (we used on premise version) - organization could be much better on the back end. Clunky and hard to understand at first.
June 6, 2018
Anthony B.
Middle School Social Studies Teacher
February 1, 2018

“When it's up and running, it's a game changer in the classroom!”

OverallPeace of mind. I can monitor student behavior while completing other tasks.
ProsData to analyze at the end of the day to see which websites grabbed my students attention and how I could develop my lesson to include them!
ConsThe website has connectivity issues pretty frequently. I would say at least one day a week I am unable to monitor student activity with dyknow.
February 1, 2018
Stephanie O.
Music, 51-200 employees

“DyKnow Review”

OverallDyKnow is fairly easy to use however there is issues at times where a student doesn't show up on the page even when we've added them. Kids have also learned different ways to keep you from seeing what they are doing. If they were logged in for another class then they must log off and turn back on sometimes in order for you to see them.
ProsEase of acces
ConsThe constant refresh and that it stays on their page even if they have moved to another site. It doesn't find that site until it refreshes again.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Stephanie, thank you for using DyKnow Cloud and for taking the time to share your feedback! If you're interested to see what students are doing in real time, the best place to see this is Activity Tracker. Here's a "how to" article: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/206974567
Justin P.
March 17, 2017

“DyKnow makes so many things easier”

OverallIt's so easy turning on my blocking plan when class starts and knowing my kids will be focused on their classwork instead of minecraft youtube videos. If I see a kid on an inappropriate site (games usually) it's super easy to add it to my blocking plan so that they can no longer access the site today or in the future. Kids will always find new games/websites but I'll always be there to block them when they do. Thanks DyKnow
ProsGood interface. Easy to use
ConsSometimes when I want to make segmented blocking plans I have issues

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Justin! Thanks so much for taking the time to share! We appreciate your feedback. We'd love to hear more about what's going on with Segmented Blocking - please email support [at] dyknow [dot] com, or use our in product chat feature any time and we'll help you get to the bottom of it!
Holly B.
51-200 employees

“DyKnow is Great! ”

OverallI have been using DyKnow for two years and I think it is a great tool for teachers. They are constantly adding new features and the customer service is quick and effective. They have been very open to feedback from me.
ProsCustomer Service Ability to lock devices with custom messages
ConsIs often spotty about connecting ALL the students
Recommendations to other buyersExperiment! I try things all the time with my class so that I can understand the program as much as I can.

By DyKnow on March 20, 2017
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback, Holly! We're proud to listen and act on your feedback :)
Chris N.
English Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education, 201-500 employees
March 20, 2017

“Best I have seen and/or used”

OverallThis product has been great to check on what students are doing at any particular time during class or at other times. It has a nice ease of use and allows the user to block sites prior to a lesson or while discovered. It allows individual feedback to students to redirect them without drawing attention to the matter. These subtle reminders are effective in the classroom setting for helping with classroom environment.
ProsEase of use and monitoring ability of students.
ConsDoes not always seem to pick up all students each time for some reason. That could also be a network issue that I am not aware of on the end of my school and not the vendor.

By DyKnow on March 20, 2017
Wow - Thanks, Chris! We're so glad DyKnow is helpful in your classroom :)
April B.
March 27, 2018

“I was easily able to track my students devices and block certain webpages that I found not suitable.”

OverallI benefited from this software by easily being able to blow websites that interfered with my students coursework or would distract them.
ProsI really enjoy the fact that I can monitor students on their devices by using the classroom analytics feature which allows me to view the history of student activity on a specific day. This tool also allows me to go back and see which students were off task and which were actually paying attention.
ConsThe biggest problem I have found with this software is the fact that students cane easily bypass the software by downloading extensions within the browser that will allow them to play games, but will not show up on my monitoring screen. I also often receive errors from the software saying that it can not be loaded at that time.
Loran P.

“Polson's Review”

OverallI like that getting students on task can now be private. I like that I can see what students are working on, though some students have learned how to trick the system.
ProsConversations about staying on task are more private
ConsYou have to stay at your computer, and some students have learned how to trick it.
Recommendations to other buyersUtilize segemented blocking & create more than one blocking plan.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Loran - Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! We're happy to hear DyKnow is adding value to your classroom :) If you ever run into a time when you believe a student isn't properly monitored, please use our in product chat feature or email support [at] dyknow [dot] com and our team will look into it right away!
ryan r.

“Dy Know Review”

OverallDyknow is constantly adding new features and tweaking existing to improve the function and use of their product.
ProsBlocking individual students or the entire class and using multiple plans a once
ConsSome students evade monitoring.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Ryan - Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback! If you ever find a student not showing up in class, please use the in product chat feature or email support [at] dyknow [dot] com with the name of the student, and we'll get to the bottom of it!
Janet P.
Education Management, 501-1000 employees

“Dyknow Review”

OverallI like Dyknow a lot! My kids are SO much better about staying on the correct sites since they know I monitor them. Unfortunately, sometimes in the afternoons, the system is slow or doesn't work.
ProsI can see everything the kids are accessing!
ConsSometimes in the afternoons the system is slow and/or doesn't work.
Recommendations to other buyersA must have for schools!! I would like to have an app for my phone so I can use it when my computer is in use!!!

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Janet! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback. It's definitely not expected that afternoon speed and reliability are any different from other times of the day. I will ask our Product team to look into this!
Jennifer R.

“Excellent monitoring software”

OverallDyKnow makes monitoring my students' technology usage so simple. I love the analytics feature which makes note of the sites my students are viewing as well. This makes keeping my students on task so much easier!
ProsEase of use
ConsThe lack of a chat feature between students and the teacher

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for taking the time to share :) I will make a note of your request for students to be able to respond to teachers in our messaging feature. We appreciate your feedback!
Angela P.
Contributing Author
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
January 18, 2019

“It Helps Make Teaching Easier”

ProsThe ability to monitor internet usage is huge in keeping from being distracted by social media and streaming sites. We are a homeschool teaching group that uses the program so we don't have the convenience of blocking some sites.
ConsSince we are a homeschool group, not all of the parents are understanding the app as well as someone with more formal training in computers . We have gotten around that by selecting parents who do understand it to track it.
January 18, 2019
Diane N.

“Can't Teach Without It”

OverallI work at a digital school and I can't imagine teaching students who all have laptops without this tool. It helps me block sites and monitor students, making our time much more useful.
ProsBlocking features
ConsUnable to block dictionary features on MacBook Air during tests.
Recommendations to other buyersGet your school to buy this program!

By DyKnow on March 23, 2017
Wow - Thanks Diane! We're so happy to hear you're loving DyKnow :) Thanks for taking the time to share!
Betsy P.
March 17, 2017

“Great Resource for Teachers ”

OverallI use DyKnow to monitor students daily. I enjoy being able to restrict students computers without having to verbally remind them over and over again. Furthermore, it helps keep students on task.
Pros-Restrict individual computers -Data collection -Quickness of the program
Cons-Not being able to block spotlight features (Ex: using the calculator through spotlight)
Recommendations to other buyersUseful for teachers!

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Betsy, thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! I appreciate the mention of Spotlight - this is a known issue and I will "+1" back to our engineers.
Tori H.

“Dyknow Review”

OverallWhile I like the features that Dyknow has when it comes to monitoring my classroom activities, I get extremely frustrated with Dyknow on the days that it doesn't work. There were multiple times over the year where I relied on Dyknow to act as a blocking software while my students were taking a quiz or a test and Dyknow failed to perform. Multiple times I received errors that Dyknow couldn't load or couldn't find the students it was supposed to be monitoring which left me at a disadvantage when it came to creating successful blocking plans that accomplished the tasks I needed them to. I also wish Dyknow had a feature where I could set it to automatically begin monitoring my class at certain times - because it has to be open in a separate tab and I have to remember to begin the monitoring in addition to everything else I have to do, there were many times where I didn't set it to monitor my class. Since it doesn't build a record for that student unless I remember to start monitoring, this meant I didn't have a record for many days in the social studies classroom. Would love to see an adjustment where I can sync it with a daily schedule and set it to start monitoring at specific times.
ProsEasy to use Blocking plans were easy to set up
ConsA lot of error messages or instances where Dyknow failed to load or quit part of the way through a class it was supposed to be monitoring Errors where having Dyknow running and blocking activity on student laptops led to programs they were using refusing to let them type in text boxes Time consuming to have to uncheck every student when attempting to establish segmented blocking - wish it started with no students checked and allowed me to check just the one or two who needed to be blocked

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Tori, Thanks so much for taking the time to share. We've been doing lots of work on our servers to keep improving them for our customers! We also love the idea of DyKnow automatically starting to monitor. We will share this with our Product Manager for future work!
Stephenie H.

“Ease of Use”

OverallI love how easy it is to see all of my student's screens at once. I can quickly and easily see if all students are in the correct location. It is also very easy to block a student and send them a quick message. (Can't review about value for money as the corporation pays, and I have no idea what they pay. I've also never used the customer support.)
ProsEase of seeing all the screens at once. Ease of blocking students immediately and sending them a message.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback, Stephenie! We appreciate it! :)
Saunnie K.
6th Grade Math Teacher
E-Learning, 501-1000 employees
March 17, 2017

“Great resource in the classroom”

OverallStudents feel they are held accountable and self-monitor closer than before. I also am able to quietly redirect students if they are not no the correct site. The only issue we have had is that 3 of my students do not have the correct email address in dyknow and we have called to get them changed over 3 months ago and the change still hasn't happened.
ProsEasy to see each student and block sites
ConsWe do not have the power to correct mistakes in the student emails used to monitor the students. Therefore the students I can't view have never been fixed even with calling customer service.
Recommendations to other buyersIt is easy to use

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Saunnie, thanks so much for taking the time to share your feedback! Student emails come from your school SIS; it sounds like the emails may be incorrect in that system. Your campus DyKnow Cloud Admin can get these email addresses updated in that system, so that when they sync with DyKnow, they're correct! :)
Dana W.
E-Learning, 51-200 employees
March 17, 2017

“GREAT way to Monitor Student Progress”

OverallThis program helps me make sure all my students are on-task and focused. I am able to provide immediate feedback and directions to help them succeed.
ProsAbility to monitor student progress
ConsNot always up to date because of refreshing time
Recommendations to other buyersI wish it was constant real time

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Dana! Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience. For a real time view of what websites and apps students are using, check out our Activity Tracker! Here's a How To article: https://support.dyknow.com/hc/en-us/articles/206974567
Jenny W.
501-1000 employees

“Easy Monitoring System”

OverallI love this product. It makes being able to teach and use technology a breeze. You can customize the program to restrict access to sites, which helps lessen distractions and helps with productivity. It allows the teacher to work with small groups of students, or even one-on-one without being glued to their device monitoring students or concerned about what students are on while the teacher isn't looking. It's simple to use and easy to learn.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Wow - thank you, Jenny! We appreciate your feedback and you taking the time to share :)
Chere F.
Art Teacher
March 17, 2017

“Perfect for monitoring multiple classes”

OverallI use DyKnow when teaching multiple classes at the same time. It enables me to monitor students in a self directed Virtual Reality class while I'm teaching an art lab. This tool enables me to be connected with all of the students in my classroom much more effectively. I am able to complete formative assessments easily and monitor their self directed learning with accuracy.
ProsEasy to use and communicate with students directly.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Thank you so much, Chere! We love having West Monona as a customer! :)
Megan S.
Academic Director
March 20, 2018

“This software is easy to use and easier to push out to your network. ”

ProsI liked that this was easy to push out as an update to all the student computers. My students never knew it was put out and therefore could not mess around and try to disable it or try to work around it. There is also no way around it.
ConsIt is a little difficult to manage on iPads. So there is a little more supervision that goes on along with using them.
March 20, 2018
Jodi B.
March 17, 2017

“Best technology purchase my corporation has made!”

OverallI love this product! It helps keep students on task. I can easily message my students instead of speaking out loud when they need re-direction.
ProsEasy to use.
ConsSometimes it doesn't work.

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Hi Jodi! Thanks so much for your kind words! If you run into a specific scenario where DyKnow doesn't seem to be working, please use the in product chat feature or email support [at] dyknow [dot] com, and our team in Indianapolis will be on it to help!
Jolie T.
1001-5000 employees
March 17, 2017

“Easy to use and efficient in addressing educational concerns with inappropriate sites”

OverallMy experience has been wonderful. Ensures academics and technology are being used in appropriate manner. Students are engaged with "right" sites to encourage learning and mastery.
ProsI like the immediate access to student usage Feedback for student mastery

By DyKnow on March 17, 2017
Thank you, Jolie! We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback :)