Joist Ratings

Overall
3.5/5

About Joist

A tool for contractors that allows you to estimate, invoice, and manage projects from your iPad, iPhone, Android, and web. Learn more about Joist

Khadijah C.
Professional product reviewer
July 2, 2018

“Joist was my starter invoice application. It allowed my small business to go to the next level”

ProsI love that joist is easy to use from computer or smart phone on the go is not a problem. Joist is easy to use and understand even for older people who are not use to computers. When a payment is sent I can update my invoice so that I may see how much I have made even can update payment plans and make contracts
ConsThe fee for receiving payments via the app. Sometimes the site and app can be down for maintenance when I really need it
July 2, 2018
Rj M.
Property Services Manager
Real Estate, Self-employed
April 29, 2019

“Love Joist but support resolution has difficulty”

OverallProfessional look and on the spot updates for materials used and labor expended which really increases accuracy. I really really love this product... I just hope I can get the email thing worked out.
ProsFor Free software I can't complain - it does a great job at almost everything. I have several friends that are now using it and love it. I don't use Quick Books but it does have a sync feature if you use QB. It takes a little getting use to when adding Items and clients but once it is set up it is awesome!!
ConsThe only problem I am having is sending email from my Samsung Galaxy Tab A device. I can create invoices but when I send them it acts like it works but doesn't send anything. I have had a ticket open for several weeks with little being done. I can send from my PC and my Phone but not my tablet. It is like it does not send my email request to the Joist server. I believe the problem to be with the APP itself. I am waiting on someone to call me that can look at my account while I am sending email to see what if anything they are getting from my app.
April 29, 2019
Jerika Z.
Chief Operating Officer
April 10, 2019

“10 out of 10 hands down”

OverallWe have used Joist and recommended this to many for years! It is one of the best programs I have used for agreements. Integrates photos, multiple addresses, save frequently used items, easy export- the perfect solution for a company on a budget!
Prosease of use, price, reliability, functionality
ConsONLY complaint is not capturing IP address/digital signature being more secure
April 10, 2019
Nachman m.
EHR Specialist
April 19, 2018

“This is one of the best app finds !”

ProsThis program does everything high priced software does, and it absolutely FREE!!! And not only is it not bogged down by ads, the developer has been adding more free stuff at a rapid pace, from taking credit card payments and e-checks directly though the app, to adding features to the quotes and bills themselves. Now, while this software is made for general contractors, i use this for my own art and technology business. And the few times I had questions, emails were returned with in hours!
ConsTo be honest, there really are no cons to this software. It is truly a work of art. You can tell that this app was created by someone who truly "gets it".
April 19, 2018
Juan Carlos F.
March 1, 2018

“Excellent ”

ProsVery user friendly and looks great. Estimates and invoices look very clean and professional. Customers can pay with credit card or electronic check, excellent feature.
ConsLike all of it. There should be a way to notify and remind customers that they have an unpaid invoice.
March 1, 2018
Tahsin R.
Engineer
April 28, 2019

“Easy to use, your business will cruise ”

OverallIt's been my go to software. Use it at least 1-2 hours a day. Great software for specifiers, estimators and Sales.
ProsVery easy to use, the layout and interface is fantastic. You can integrate quick book with it. Create estimate within a minute and email it to your customer.
ConsCan't add photos of an item. You have to add separate as an upload option but not as an individual item
April 28, 2019
matthew b.
July 5, 2018

“Works great for invoicing”

ProsThe app itself works great. Very helpful to email customer a invoice, estimate or a receipt right on the job
ConsFirst- I wish when I look up a Customer Support, it would not only pull up his contact info, but also a history of his jobs/invoices Second- when you have customers pay with cc, joist uses WePay to process. WePay is a joke, zero communication, they went right into my bank acct and stole money simply because a customer clicked a dispute button because he was mad I didn't answer my phone when my sister was in a hospital.GONE and only through chats online have I received a pitiful notice that it will take up to 45 days to return my money, even after it took the blink of an eye to steal it. Crooks! And I will stop using joist just because of this instance. Boot WePay, hire a legit company like PayPal and I'd come back. Until then, I'm looking for new invoice company.
July 5, 2018
Construction, Unspecified
May 9, 2018

“Joist was the first software we used for painting estimates”

ProsI liked how it was an estimating software and a CRM all in one. I also loved that I could send out formal Invoices.
ConsIt didn't have any way to have customers pay online which made my job a lot more difficult since I had to chase down payments and wait for checks.
May 9, 2018
Myron E.
Partner
May 3, 2018

“Fast, clean interface”

ProsThe Joist interface is all about speed and ease of use. Even on slow network connections, Joist remained zippy and far less painful to use than other cloud-based systems. Solid set of features, even in the free version.
ConsWe deal with a lot of monthly-invoiced, repeat customers. I wish Joist would add support for customer credits. Some of our customers would send a large check to cover several months, and there is no easy way to make Joist account for this scenario. We ultimately moved to another invoicing platform, but would certainly reconsider Joist if this feature is ever added.
May 3, 2018
Jose R.
VP of Operations
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees
April 25, 2018

“Outstanding tool. A must for all contractors. ”

OverallI can do estimates and bill clients on the spot. Customer love how they get a quote, invoice and or receipt right-a-way. I like how easy it is to use and how it has a web interface as well as the phone ap.
ProsThe mobile app and web interface are outstanding. It is so easy to generate a quote, invoice clients and record payment. The ability to email or text the invoice to clients is awesome. Custom contracts and phone inclusion allow for a wide range of customization. The ability to export clients is a huge time saver. I love how I can get an email copy of what is sent to the client.
ConsThe function on the mobile app and the web interface are different. I wish it had the ability to export info to excel or other format.
April 25, 2018
Alan P.
Contractor
August 9, 2019

“Don't Mess with My Money”

OverallDo not use this app if you expect to get your payments in a timely manner, despite their "$10,000" limit they will hold funds of much lesser amounts and then dictate what they feel is require on your invoices to get paid. All while holding funds from your fully paid invoices!
ProsConvenience and phone based with a decent layout, hard to compare as I have only used PC based software
ConsNot stand alone, seems developers have contant access to all your transactions and can and will dictate when they will release your funds and how you should fill out your invoices.
August 9, 2019
Consumer Services, Self-employed
March 18, 2019

“Great, fast invoicing system”

OverallUse Joist for free-lance work and love the speed and ease of use that Joist provides. A great no-fuss invoicing solution without being weighed down by full-blown accounting software features.
ProsSpeed is king with Joist, whether using their web interface or the excellent mobile app. The app is fast and responsive, even when operating on a fairly weak data connection. For quick and dirty invoicing, it's hard to beat the speed and efficiency of Joist.
ConsFor recurring customers that like to pay ahead, I wish there was an account credit feature where you could add a credit to the customer account and then simply apply remaining credit to a new outstanding invoice.
March 18, 2019
Michelle L.
Business Manager
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees
October 9, 2019

“I would not recommend”

Overallmy experience has not been positive, more frustrating to try to get this software to do tings it can't than anything else
ProsGreat software tool for the construction industry, does what it needs to to send out basic estimates and invoices to customers
Consthis software is expensive and doesn't go the extra mile hard to use and understand does not track percentages correctly nor does it show the percentage of billing to the customers
October 9, 2019
Jaime G.
Principal
September 22, 2018

“The best business app”

Overallexcellent.
ProsSimplicity, easy to use, keep every record.
ConsWhen you sign or your customer and you modify the document you have to sign again, and again.......
September 22, 2018
Matt C.
August 4, 2018

“Great Product!”

ProsThis has been an excellent product that our company uses for estimates. The best feature is that it is free! The presentation is clean and simple. We love the product and the customer service is great.
ConsWould love to see a Good, Best, Better format in the future. We would definitely pay for a subscription for that format.
August 4, 2018
Stephen Olawale j.
ARCHITECT
June 8, 2019

“A PORTABLE INVOICE APPLICATION”

Overallit has helped me to do without my pen, and i have been able to keep records up to date of all invoices
ProsI was able to start with a trial version then later i purchased a full product because it was helpful for my accounting and all round cost estimation daily, and i also document every payment made daily
Consthe challenge involves sending invoices has emails, i think the product experience some network or web glitch, and the interface resolution not too good enough, but still manageable
June 8, 2019
MICHAEL C.
Amin
Construction, Self-employed
December 29, 2018

“Admin”

ProsGreat program always works and easy to use.
ConsCan not find anything wrong very happy.
December 29, 2018
August 20, 2018

“Excellent for a small business owner”

OverallThis is a good product. The only drawback is that it can't handle scheduling in addition to it's other functions. If I was working by myself, I would probably use it -- the pricing is really good.
ProsJoist gives you the ability to keep track of customer information, produce invoices onsite, and bill all in the same package.
ConsIt didn't have all of the features I was looking for.
August 20, 2018
Priscilla E.
office manager
July 16, 2019

“Josit Review”

ProsThat you can access your company information from anywhere. The ability to invoice out in the field.
ConsI did not like that you can not run credit cards directly thru joist on the spot.
July 16, 2019
Ken B.
Construction, Self-employed
November 14, 2017

“So simple and free.”

OverallSpeed and efficiency. It simply makes my life easier.
ProsThe software is web based, in other words it does not reside on your local computer. But it doesn't matter since all you invoices, estimates and bids reside online. This is very simple software to get used to even for busy contractors. My thanks to the developers.
November 14, 2017
Shawn P.
Licensed electrician
April 11, 2018

“Encrypted to protect you and your customers data”

ProsProfessional appearance. The documents made with my customers are official legal binding documents. It saves clients, and line items
ConsI wish I could set up a saved "notes for customer" section so that I do not have to write up a full contract every time. The headers, and footers are saved.
April 11, 2018
Micahel B.
HVAC/R Technical Support
March 31, 2018

“This software simply works.”

ProsThe ease of use for this software has been a welcome change to the paper I used to use with spreadsheets etc. this software allows easy business operation.
ConsNo integration with other software when I grow, and speed of use within the app. better attention to quotes pushed to invoice will greatly help.
March 31, 2018
Emily M.
Consultant
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
October 10, 2019

“Simple”

OverallJoist is super simple and very user friendly. The one struggle is when searching by phone number, address, email. The system will not find the customer of the information you entered. It can only search by name. That makes it difficult at times.
ProsEasy to navigate Can input pictures in the estimates/invoices
ConsCan't assign more than one user Can't search a customer by anything other than the name
October 10, 2019
Eric D.
April 23, 2019

“Customer Service is NON EXISTENT ”

OverallCustomer support is non existent. For over a month I have been trying to contact someone. I am ready to get my money out of there and delete this app from my phone.
ProsIt was convenient to use as far as sending estimates.
ConsThe fact that you are unable to get in contact with customer support. I have had documents in review for over 3 weeks. One of my clients made a payment 2 weeks ago and I have been trying to contact someone from Joist to try and get access to my money with no luck! So for over a month I have been trying to get in contact with someone from customer support.
April 23, 2019
Kyla G.
September 12, 2018

“Pretty Good App for Invoicing On The Go”

OverallEasy product for creating quick invoices and having clients pay securing.
ProsThis software is easy to use and straght forward. It allows you to easily create invoices from your smart phone or tablet on the go, and have a customer put in their credit card information directly, which keeps their information secure.
ConsThere are limits to the type of invoice you can create, and the invoices can only go to one person (the account manager). There is no way to copy another email address (such as accounting) so management can review what is going on directly.
September 12, 2018
Youba H.
Handyman
June 17, 2019

“Good for contractors”

ProsI like the estimate and invoice feature the most
Conswould be better if I can import contacts directly from my phonebook
June 17, 2019
David B.
September 4, 2018

“Paid but Contractor Never Got the Money, May be Fraudulent App”

OverallGreat at taking your money, very hard at getting the money to the intended group. We're now working with Visa on a chargeback case as the app appears fraudulent.
ProsAs an end user, the experience was great. I received an invoice from a subcontractor for ~$13K. I was quickly able to click and pay, but then...
ConsA month after I made the payment the subcontractor called us for collections. After a lot of back and forth, it hasn't been resolved. Chatting with their support today their response was "I see the delay and I completely hear you, You could ask the contractor to contact us and we would be able to speak to him and help him with this definitely." Essentially, other payment apps like square are same day or next day payouts. They are now asking that I send joist photos of the job and sign documentation. Is this a payment app or title company? In short, we stepped into a mess with this app.
September 4, 2018
Elizabeth R.
Customer Service Manager
March 25, 2019

“It's okay”

OverallWe have used a couple different programs for invoicing but Joist is not as all inclusive as others. It is good for estimates and invoicing, but as far as CRM and running reports it is lacking in those areas. It is very user friendly, but just needs a little more in the CRM and reporting areas.
ProsIt was easy to build an estimate and input customer information.
ConsIt is not trackable like other programs we have found.
March 25, 2019
Cindy E.
Contract Administrator
July 29, 2019

“Joist”

ProsGreat software for preparing and submitting field estimates while on job site.
ConsWe need the ability to include our contract verbage into the proposal at the time sent for client approval.
July 29, 2019
Martin P.
Owner/operator
Building Materials, Self-employed
February 7, 2017

“I found what I needed for my startup company with Joist.”

OverallI am starting up my construction company and needed a estimator program that would not take a lot of working capitol to get started. The program proves to fit my current need in giving my customers a professional and complete estimate.
Proseasy to use and maneuver around.
ConsNeeds to have links to tax rates
Recommendations to other buyersI have only used it for two estimates. Once I have had more time to use this program I will probably have more advice.
February 7, 2017
Kevin P.
February 19, 2019

“They don't give you your money when paid in a timely maner”

OverallMy experience with the bid creation and invoice is fine. My issue is with the payment processing. I was paid $40,000 and am still waiting to get my money over two weeks later. If I would have just let them mail me a check I would have had the money in my account ten days ago. I am now trying to run a business with no funds to pay anyone. I am working a large job and rely on the construction draws to pay contractors and employees but when this company is holding my payment for what is said to be 18 days total it is devastating.
ProsIt is easy to use to provide a bid or invoice. DO NOT USE IT FOR PAYMENTS!!
ConsDO NOT USE THIS APP FOR ANY PAYMENTS. IT IS POSSIBLY THE WORST I HAVE EVER SEEN.
February 19, 2019
Andrea W.
Building Materials, 1-10 employees
September 30, 2019

“PAyment online”

OverallBAD!!!
ProsI like the estimate and invoice section NOT the online payment part
ConsI had a client make a payment over 10 days ago over $10000. AND i HAVE STILL NOT RECEIVED IT! There is no phone number on app so you have to go through a "chat" system and basically no excuse just a sorry and it will be deposited on the 3rd which will make it 13 days total. This is unacceptable I have a whole job that has stalled due to this! The last payment my client made took a week and it was $720.00 I will never ever use this app again!
September 30, 2019
Eric T.
Owner/chief estimator
April 29, 2016

“This is an easy to use ,on the go software,for today's fluid projects.”

OverallGood support,line item estimates,all from your iPad. Print,manage,Go!
April 29, 2016