TheraNest Ratings

Overall

About TheraNest

EHR software with Wiley Planners add-on, Telehealth for online therapy, mobile app, client portal, DSM/ICD codes, progress notes, treatment plans, discharge notes, review & co-sign notes, custom forms. Billing features: PQRS, claims & ERA/EOB, superbills, credit card service, batch invoice/claims. Sync with Google/iCal. Voice, text, email reminders. Tons of reports included: Payroll, Staff Billing, etc. Unlimited document storage, unlimited support. Try it free. Learn more about TheraNest

Maria L.
Ph. D., LPC, LMFT, ATR-BC, ATCS
August 22, 2019

“New Electronic Note Taking and Billing Experience for my Practice”

OverallI am solving a time and storage problem through the use of Nest. The more I become comfortable with this software, the more I am able to do with leaving the office and having time for myself. In addition, I no longer pay an outside service for billing and bill almost immediately through the Nest program, understanding the ins and outs of how insurance panels prefer the electronic billing to another means. In the 6 or so months that I have used nest, I find it a tremendous asset to my business life as a therapist.
ProsTheraNest continues to revamp and update its software making it more compatible to my needs as a clinician. Once you begin the experience of Nest and take it one step at a time, you realize that you are making progress with virtual notes and storage, billing and even telehealth! At first I was overwhelmed with learning to do everything online (changing from paper and pencil note taking, having an outside billing service to all electronic needs) I have made excellent progress where I am saving both time and money with the Nest Service. One great aspect of this service is the customer care with live online support and articles to read on areas I may need help. Training is offered on the areas I need the most help and the staff frequently ask how they can make this software product better and more compatible to my needs as a therapist's. A final accolade of Nest is being able to store secure photos of client art work and additional notes and documents. There is a secure client portal too if you choose to use this for intake and other virtual needs.
ConsAs a seasoned professional with little to no electronic note taking experience, my learning curve is not as adept to electronic storage, billing and virtual sessions. So, I find that sometimes the training tapes are too fast and too in-depth for one sitting. Therefore, I need to review them a few times in order to understand what area of Nest to access and what tabs I need to use for processing. Fortunately the support staff are ready to help me in all of my questions.

By TheraNest on August 30, 2019
Maria thank you for this very insightful review! Going from paper notes to electronic notes can seem like a daunting task but there is nothing to fear when you have a team of TheraNesters behind you! We are happy to hear that you've been able to cut cost, streamline your practice and get more time back for the things you love!
August 22, 2019
Sarah P.
Practice Manager
June 26, 2019

“Superb Software”

OverallI can't imagine using any other EHR for our practice, and I have used at least three others before. The customer support team alone makes this service worth it, but the ease of use and workflow is so appreciated and truly makes my day to day tasks so much more efficient.
ProsTheranest offers a very easy to use EHR, making it incredibly efficient to manage and bill for our practice of 350+ clients. The K-Base, though an often underused resource, is filled with all kinds of wonderful how-to articles and videos, the flow of use for scheduling, billing, taking notes, etc is sharp and efficient, and the support team is one of the best I have ever used in any professional and personal capacity.
ConsAny process or service within this program that I did not enjoy was relayed to the support staff, and quite often they are working hard to hear their customers feedback and make appropriate changes to help improve their users experience. My biggest complaint from the beginning was the lack of ability to filter clients strictly based on their insurance carrier, but that has been in the works as an improvement for a little while and is in the pipeline to come through so I have no complaints!

By TheraNest on July 3, 2019
Sarah thank you so much for the glowing review! It's customers like you that make us better. Thank you for your support and loyalty to TheraNest!
June 26, 2019
Gary M.
November 20, 2018

“All In with TheraNest ”

OverallOur office was using one company for scheduling patients and patient notification (text messaging); one company for billing; and one company for notes which resulted in huge opportunities for human error; the specific needs of our office were not addressed with any one company. TheraNest addresses most of our office needs in one integrated program. Scheduling, appointment notifications, progress notes, billing, and ERA (eventually). I previewed the ERA and it looks like it will efficiently apply payments to billed services. I am very satisfied with TheraNest and strongly recommend it for other Behavioral Health providers.
ProsImported years of data from another system into TheraNest with no errors and very limited time commitment. Their customer support was very helpful and honest about the transition. TheraNest is full featured- Our office used a competitor program for 30+ years but wanted/needed a cloud based state of the art EHR program- Our office tried several other popular programs but they all had significant limitations. We are very excited about Theranest. Our Office is new to the program but so far so good. The customer support is excellent. They are adding features frequently, including specific features requested by users. The start up learning curve is doable and our staff picked it up in a few days versus weeks. The scheduling, pt. appointment notifications, calendar, and agenda are well thought out and fully integrated. The initial intake note and progress notes took some getting used too but they work very well- DX codes are easily entered and updated. The progress notes are very professional and signed and cosigned if necessary. I know this sounds like a paid advertisement but I have spent a lot of time, money and effort trying other programs and I was never more encouraged than with Theranest. Our goal was to be fully functional with the transition from our current system to Theranest by January 2019. We are ahead of schedule and our intention is to bill our first full month of receivables for November 2018.
ConsThe fees were initially off putting. But after becoming familiar with TheraNest, I see the potential for a very efficient, time saving, integrated system that is well worth the monthly investment. There is also flexibility with monthly billing based upon caseload (increasing or decreasing at discretion of the user) and it seems fair.

By TheraNest on December 18, 2018
Thank you for the glowing review!! We are so happy to hear you and your team are enjoying TheraNest!
November 20, 2018
Karen A.
Therapist (LMHC)
February 21, 2018

“Overall, my favorite EMR of the five I have used and tried.”

ProsSet up to document all phases of counseling; ability to upload documents into client records; MSE with each progress note; can email clients through client portal for HIPPA compliance; clients can securely complete, sign, and submit intake paperwork through client portal; ability to accept credit and debit cards easily for services rendered; GREAT invoicing and billing features; automated appointment reminders; integrated calendar; multi clinician capability; Wiley planner and progress note features; the reports feature is fantastic for tracking payments, invoices, and notes status. Subscribers can also develop custom forms for clients or for clinician documentation needs. The help and tutorial features are easy to follow, and customer service has been responsive. TheraNest continually seeks feedback about subscriber needs and uses that feedback to improve their product. There is also an internal office chat box feature.
ConsLike any product, it is not perfect. The calendar feature is good but has room for improvement with respect to appointments spilling into nonwork hours or the occasional time I choose to see clients outside my regular hours to compensate for conferences or other needs taking time from my regular client schedule. I understand this issue is being addressed. Progress notes can be lengthy due to incorporation of the client's entire treatment plan into the note. I have yet to find a way to mark treatment goals and objectives as completed in the treatment plan even when using the review feature. This would be a helpful feature to track a client's progress quickly and for planning future session interventions to address unmet goals.

By TheraNest on September 18, 2018
Thank you for the review, Karen. You can now select to schedule outside of selected working hours on a client appointment. :)
February 21, 2018
Kyle M.
LPC, Supervising Counselor
Mental Health Care, Unspecified
January 8, 2018

“Never felt alone; even in my darkest times.”

ProsTheraNest has EVERYTHING in one place. I have search high and low for several years; applied, signed up, and trialed several other soft-wares, and none of them compare to TheraNest. The Client Portal is a surprise when I share the feature with my patients. The Customer Service being accessible to all providers (Inters and Residents alike) is a huge plus so I do not find myself training (and retraining) through the semester to a new class when they can find the answers easily on their own. TheraNest makes the end of my session a 10 min wrap up with documentation, and the end of my day a 5 min wrap up to submit ALL billing. I save money on not having to hire a full-time employee to manage my billing and claims; merely a contract when there is an issue with the insurance themselves and a phone call is needed beyond my knowledge.
ConsThe only thing I could ever wish for, is prescribing rights and abilities. I plan to expand my company into the Medical Realm eventually, and this is a feature I plan to discuss with the developing team.

By TheraNest on January 22, 2018
Hi Kyle, thank you for the wonderful review. Our support team was all smiles when we read it as it¿s always our goal to be available for all users of TheraNest. We¿re very happy to hear that you (and your interns and residents) have been enjoying TheraNest and that it¿s helped make your practice easier and quicker to manage! We¿d be very excited to grow with you as your practice grows, that¿s why we¿ve passed on your e-prescribing request to our development team and we¿ll be in-touch to discuss your wants/needs for this feature. We take all feedback and suggestions very seriously. As always, don¿t hesitate to reach out if you need us! Thank you for being a valued customer, Kyle! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
January 8, 2018
Patrick A.
CEO/Clinical Psychologist
May 17, 2016

“TheraNest is an evolving EHR platform with a great interface, and excellent technical support.”

OverallI have been using TheraNest for approximately 6 months. Here are some of my thoughts. Pros: Excellent User Interface. Very logical and intuitive to use, and a clean design. Very cost effective for practices with multiple clinicians. Extremely responsive technical support. Easy to use mobile applications. Nice features for streamlined and integrated billing, invoices, and SuperBills being created and sent to clients. Integrated CC processing. Patient portal for submitting intake paperwork. (add on charges) Patient reminders with SMS and phone calls. (add on charges) Excellent Up-Time and great communication from the owner. Cons: Limited customization options for the interface, reports, and standard progress notes. Not really fitting for practices with a prescribing professional. Creation of patient forms can be tedious and is not easily ported between TN accounts for different practices. Lack of ability to connect businesses with separate Tax IDs to a master account. (Modern practices increasingly use teletherapy, which can mean multiple business locations, Tax IDs, etc., and each location needs a separate TN account.) Lack of ability to connect the calendars of multiple practice locations to prevent double booking or double data entry. Overly basic invoicing and SuperBill formats without customization options (Per tech support, this is currently being revised, but is not yet released.) Inability to customize the Dashboard metrics, and current monitoring tools have limited practical utility. (Poor cash flow tracking, no notice of unwritten notes, etc.) Overly limited options for clinician site access (It is essentially either a decision to allow clinicians access to all billing information, or none.) Limited payment tracking for tracking payments to clinicians. Overall, I have chosen to stay with TheraNest, and am happy with the simplicity of it all. If the developers continue to help the site evolve, and address some or all of the concerns noted above, I will most likely stay with them and renew my contract for another year.

By TheraNest on May 20, 2016
Thank you so much for leaving a review, Patrick! We are planning to add a prescribing feature in the future. I have tagged your account so you will be notified as soon as it has been released. Thank you for your suggestion about allowing different tax ID's for the business. We are working on a tele-therapy feature so I will make sure to pass this along to the product team. We are able to sync your calendar appointments to both Google and Apple calendars. The Missing Notes report will show you each appointment that is missing a note. You can run this report by clicking Reports > Notes > Missing Notes Report. We are working on a complete billing re-design that should be released in the next couple of months. The new design will help you better track amounts paid by insurance and clients. If you have any other questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know in the application or at support@theranest.com Thank you! The TheraNest Team
May 17, 2016
Ginny M.
Clinical Director
November 11, 2016

“Very good resource for our group practice”

OverallWe have been users of Theranest for the last year. It is very, very user friendly, especially compared with some of the other products that we demo'd. Most things were very, very well --- scheduling, appointment reminders, progress notes, reporting features that help us know who is current with progress notes and assessments and who has gotten behind, treatment planning and diagnostic features. We do not use the Wiley Treatment Planner library, but we might at some point and are thrilled that it is available. We initially used the merchant account features to run credit/debit/flex cards through the system, but we found we could save considerably by having a merchant account with our bank instead. Switching back and forth was not a problem. We have generally been very pleased with most aspects of the service, especially the finance terms. This platform works very well for a practice that has several clinicians and when the work is exclusively individuals, couples or families.
ProsWe love it that we pay a rate based on the number of active clients, not the number of users. We have several part-time staff who want and need to be able to use the same system, and other EHRs charge by clinician. The best part, though, is that it looks and feels very much like a paper record, and getting tech-anxious clinicians to make the switch from paper really very easy. Even the most reluctant found that they love it and do not complain about changing from paper to EHR.
ConsGroup rosters, group notes and scheduling of groups is possible but definitely a weak area for Theranest. Other weak areas include the way the ledger interfaces with attendance in the creation of invoices and superbills (putting cancellations on them, even if there was no charge). And lastly, reporting features could be better for helping practice managers better assess productivity and other information. The dashboard looks great, but as far as I can tell, we can't change the data that the graphics are pulling from and they always are reporting information that is from the beginning of the practice's use of Theranest, not with any particular timeframe or different variables. This may be possible to change, but if so, it's not easy enough for THIS user to figure it out.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you provide a lot of group counseling services, proceed with caution. If you have lots of part-time or contract counselors who provide 1:1 services, this is a great product!
November 11, 2016
Carly A.
January 10, 2018

“Average. Some strong features and some poor features”

ProsThe mobile feature; Notes/scheduling/billing all in 1 program and platform; Client portal; Visually easy to understand and use without a lot of needed guidance;
Cons1) The notes are rudimentary and unprofessional 'looking' when you print them. 2) The signature feature does not have enough characters to include full name and credentials & the hand-written option ends up looking like a preschooler signed your name; 3) all the demographic and other info that a ct fills out in ct portal forms DO NOT auto-populate to your intkae note template or anywhere, so you end up having to re-type a tone of information; 3) ct oprtal forms are easy to edit, but the actual intake and progress forms are NOT editable. They advertise "customizable forms" but neglect to tell you that if you use these, you don't get any of the built-in, dynamic software features such as the DSM-5 dx box, all demographic info, date/etc... that's the whole point- you can't run reports on these notes, etc.!!! 4) the text boxes that you type you notes in are not user-friendly...you have to scroll down if you type a longer paragraph in order to read/view and edit it. It's time-consuming and difficult to review your note. 5) not easy to upload photos or handouts that you and a ct create. You have to email it to yourself, download it and then upload it to TheraNest...too many steps! Overall, the note taking features in this EMR are poor.

By TheraNest on January 22, 2018
Hi Carly, Thank you for taking time to provide us a review. Voices like yours are how we improve our product and customer experience. We're always looking to incorporate customer feedback so thank you very much! We're happy to hear you've been enjoying our mobile app and client portal. It's nice to hear you find TheraNest easy to use and understand. We're here for you if there's anything we can help you with. Thank you for being a valued customer. We appreciate you, Carly. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
January 10, 2018
JudyAnn L.
Phone Specialist/Scheduling
March 30, 2018

“My experience has been great. There have been some changes to get used to, but we've gotten there.”

OverallProfessional benefits for practice management.
ProsFlexibility to manage the calendar without losing information. I like the options. Being able to add service codes for a busy practice. The in-practice chat is invaluable for the clients using it. Search and expanded view are very helpful. Powerful and speedy when uploading files. Real support. I've made requests for changes (along with others) and received attention. I've found some 'hacks' that made my task go smoother and enjoyed sharing them with support. Colorful. May seem a little thing, but we can have distinctive identity on the calendar for each or for all. Not necessary to open a completely different screen. Every effort to be secure. Never a problem with security or an uneasy hint that things aren't working right. Almost zero down time. We're working with 'machines', there is bound to be some down time, but the occurrences have been rare and quickly solved. Professional action. This reflects on patient desire for security. The appearance and behaviors for entering information are professional. Ample patient reminders. Patients can respond to reminders to connect with me if we miss one another on the phone. Email is especially good for this. I reviewed this software about a year ago and have come to like it even more.
ConsA disappearing con: tutorials and knowledge base has expanded during the time I've been using the software.

By TheraNest on September 18, 2018
Thank you for your fantastic and thorough review, JudyAnn. We continue to build out more support documentation and videos to help you and your team.
March 30, 2018
Joseph P.
February 7, 2017

“Great EHR for Private Practice”

OverallThe software is really good for a new private practice. Like any EHR software there is always a learning curve. For practitioners who are already adept with other EHR software this is fairly simple and learning curve is not difficult. At the beginning it may seem difficult but you can test/tinker around with the features without any negative consequences. Suggest you create a test dummy client and play with the features. You can delete the dummy file later. Customer services has been positive in all my interactions. I did not feel like I got stiffed any money or felt like customer service is a robotic call center in another country. Customer service always was courteous and tried their best to answer questions. If a problem arose, they tried their best to solve it or if it was a issue out of their hand, they were up front & responsible in their responses. The features are what a private practice needs including a) prog. notes b) ledger & forms for billing c) treatment plans d) built in assessment e) graphs to track cancellations, outstanding ledgers, and payments f) calendar for appointment schedules g) ability to upload documents to client's record and more. As a single software source for a private practice one really doesn't need extra software than TheraNest. The only flaw I ran into was the claims process. Specific insurance companies and Medicaid require specific boxes on claim to be filled in a specific way. The service location is the challenge on form 1500 which created a small headache. If you use one service location and that is all then it should be no problem. If you have 3 - 4 service locations such as multiple offices and you have to bill each location with a different number then it can be a little challenge. The problem can be remedied at the next level of billing at the clearinghouse which is what I did. In simple terms if you are just a single private practice and have one location then this issue will not arise. This is why TheraNest is great for private practices rather than large corporations. Cost for Theranest is decent because it charges based on the number of clients. Also if you have between 2 - 5 active clients, the cost is already covered once your claims get paid. At the time I started it was around $ - $ a month. With a single claim of $ - $ paid, the cost is already covered. Overall, I highly recommend it for a private practice and clinicians who are just getting started in their own practice.

By TheraNest on February 14, 2017
Hey Joseph! Thanks for taking the time to give us such a detailed review! We're so glad to see that you're liking the software and have been patient with us as we work to improve. Thank you for the feedback regarding locations, we're working on bettering that feature now and hope to have that out to you soon. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.
February 7, 2017
Micheal Frances S.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
September 16, 2019

“SUPERIOR PRODUCT AND ESPECIALLY SUPERIOR CUSTOMER SERVICE”

OverallAs a former Simplepractice customer, I became frustrated with their lack of live-time customer service and so I switched to Theranest. I have found Theranest's customer service to be exemplary. They get back to you right away, often within minutes. Other companies should study what Theranest is doing and emulate it immediately! The program itself seems to cover more of what I need and can use daily in the management of my practice. It is also easy to learn. My staff and I have taken to it pretty easily.
ProsThe program covers most or all needs of psychotherapists. It's comprehensive yet it works simply for the user. The software is easy to use. The layout works for me. Customer service is excellent.
ConsThe training modules in Theranest could be better.

By TheraNest on September 23, 2019
Thank you for the raving review Micheal Frances! Our Customer Happiness team strives to provide the best quality experience for our customers.
September 16, 2019
Christy C.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
December 6, 2018

“Excellent practice management software for my solo practice. ”

ProsI find the company is always growing, looking for ways to improve based on clinician feedback. Two changes/improvements have been made that I've requested (along with others) and they've made many many other improvements that hadn't necessarily occurred to me but that have increased efficiency or streamlining. The customer service is excellent. I used to spend hours doing my billing, and before that paid a human being by the hour to do it for me, and now it's literally a few clicks. I have very busy solo practice (30-35 patient hours per week) and I am 100% on top of my Intakes, notes, billing and incoming payments.
ConsIt has definitely steadily crept up in cost since I started using it in 2014, but I've compared it to other platforms and it's comparable or less for what you get. There are many features that I don't need at all in a solo practice, but again, this is probably true in other platforms (this, I'm not positive about) and anyway, I don't feel like I'm paying for a bunch of stuff I don't need.

By TheraNest on December 18, 2018
Thank you so much for your kind words, Christy. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We count ourselves lucky for loyal customers like you.
December 6, 2018
Chanel C.
Owner of EOA Services
July 21, 2017

“I have been using Theranest for the past 3 years and I am still being impressed by their product!!!”

OverallI aids my practice in running efficiently in all areas.
ProsThe user friendly software, color scheme, and efficiency is what I like most. I recommend it to my clients and I have not gotten one complaint about your EHR. It is great for the administrative staff, clients (Therabook), and the therapist. I love that their staff make me feel like we are one big happy family working together. My questions are answered in a timely manner and they are answered effectively. The same day I might add. Theranest is the best choice for a mental health private practice.
ConsI honestly do not have a CON. I guess since I have to submit 100 characters as a min. I will say.... I setup many account for different mental health professionals and I have to use a different email every time. That can be a pain, because I do business with my company email.

By TheraNest on September 20, 2017
Hi Chanel! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a glowing review! You're a fantastic customer. You're always friendly, fun, patient and provide excellent feedback that helps us continuously improve in all areas. It's a pleasure when we hear from you. :) We wouldn't be where we are without customers like you. We're delighted and grateful to have you in our TheraNest family. We appreciate you! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
Stacy F.
Licensed Professional Counselor
May 9, 2017

“TheraNest offers everything I need to keep my practice organized and paper-free!”

ProsTheraNest is one-stop shopping! For an affordable monthly cost, I get everything I need to keep my practice running smoothly - I can schedule patients, send them forms ahead of their appointment via the Client Portal, submit my insurance claims in two simple clicks, and keep track of my income by running monthly reports. I also like being able to write assessments and progress notes in my own style using the customs forms feature. Can't forget about customer support; TheraNest is great over the phone, and they certainly listen to customer requests by continuously adding new features each month. For someone looking for a paperless and organized practice, TheraNest is a must!
ConsTheraNest can be a touch confusing when initially navigating its features. However, after repeated practice, I now find it so simple and easy to use. I wish the Client Portal/Custom Forms could be advanced so that we can change the font size and have control over bolding/italicizing/underlining certain headings and words.

By TheraNest on May 18, 2017
Hi Stacy, Wow, thanks so much for these kind words, this is a great encouragement for our team and we're overjoyed to hear that you're still loving the software. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and your feedback regarding a more customizable format. I'll be sure to pass that along and again, thanks so much. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.
May 9, 2017
Donna M.
May 17, 2017

“Supportive, convenient, affordable, quality product!”

ProsThe client portal and the fact that the intake can be done online! I love custom forms, the appointment reminders, emails, payroll.... I love it all! I especially love the customer service. I'm a loyal customer especially because of the way they are with their customers (texting, emailing and constant improvements). 10 stars!
ConsId like payroll to be able to have the option to select the payouts due tab and pay clinicians when claims are paid in full. Copays are attached to this currently and I have to select "copay paid to clinician" even though it's not in order for payouts due to work the way I need it to. I also need to be able to print out a demographics sheet on a single client to an option. I'd also like the email to have a time that an email was sent.

By TheraNest on May 24, 2017
Wow Donna! Thanks for the review, we are blushing over here and also thankful for your kind words. We love to hear that our customer happiness team is serving you well. I'll pass along your suggestions to our development team, but as a loyal customer you know you can always write in or use the microphone icon to make suggestions, we're always interested in your feedback as it very much shapes our plan for the future of TheraNest. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.
May 17, 2017
Tammy B.
Therapist
Self-employed
February 21, 2019

“Great experience with limitations”

OverallI would recommend Theranest to anyone who has less than 30 active clients at any given time. Once you go over 30 and add the price of extra features it goes from being comparable value to not being a good value.
ProsThe initial first session paperwork such as intake, privacy policies and informed consent are extremely easy to edit and make your own. Being able to do one note for a group and have it go to each group member's file was awesome.
ConsPrice is based on number of active clients and therefore was not good for me because of seeing some clients just to do evaluation and doing groups which makes number of clients more. Also reminders and other features are extra. I prefer to pay one price and know what it is. There is not the option to put handouts, assignments into folder for clients to access. You have to send them back and forth which clients complained was inconvenience. However, if my clients had not had previous experience with Counsol where there was folders I do not think they would have complained because they would not have known of other option.

By TheraNest on April 24, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience! It sounds like you are enjoying the client portal and intake forms as well as our group appointment and not functions! After you send your initial intake forms you can certainly resend forms in a packet and not one by one. A support team member can reach out and help you with this. As far as pricing - our philosophy is that the number of active clients you serve is a much better representation of the size and needs of your practice than the number of people you have on staff. Allowing you to archive an unlimited number of clients and reactivate them at any time results in the vast majority of our customers paying significantly less for similar features versus our competitors. On average, things like text reminders cost less than $1/mo for 1 provider. Other optional features like Telehealth and Wiley Planners are optional add-ons rather than mandatory upgrades.
February 21, 2019
Amy O.
Psychotherapist
May 16, 2019

“Love Theranest”

OverallOverall Theranest keeps me very organized and on top of time sensitive issues like notes, rminders and billing.
ProsTheranest is easy to use, keeps track of my calendar, sends reminders to clients, makes billing very easy.
ConsI wish I could customize more reporting and sorting features to help me do the billing of insurance companies that I have to do on other websites.

By TheraNest on May 22, 2019
Amy thank you so much for the lovely review! We are so happy to hear that TheraNest is just the tool your organization needs to keep you on track and organized! A member of the Support team will reach out to collect more information about your reporting needs. We do have very robust reporting features so we want to make sure we can help point you in the right direction!
May 16, 2019
Mark B.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
March 3, 2017

“Great Product & Pricing But Service Note Functionally Lacking”

OverallI second all the glowing reviews but our Group bills Public Payers (Medicare, Tricare, Medicaid) in addition to commercial payers. We loved the user interface and ability to set up locations, accept payments, billing interface, and access /caseloads. Theranest has THE best pricing of the competitors. Most EHRs want to charge by # of Providers. That works great if every Therapist is Full Time. Theranest charges by tiers of # of active Clients so their pricing is linked to your revenue. GREAT Concept! However the Progress Note feature does not work for our Payers. The built-in SOAP Note is the only Note that will integrate with the client's treatment plan. Our Payers require that each Note is linked to a Treatment Goal. Also ALL of our Payers require PIE or BIRP format. Our therapist were not able to select/change the CPT/Service code when they completed their Clinical Service Note. The CPT/Svc code selection is made in the Appointment Screen and the therapist would have to go to another screen to change the Service Code. All the Therapist sees is the session elapsed time that they can change , for example, 60 minutes can be for family or Ind. therapy (different CPT codes). Also it puts the burden on the scheduler to choose the correct service vs the Therapist that conducts the session. Also, there was no way to seemingly enter an Add-on CPT code (complexity/crisis) to the primary service. AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE!! I did the 30 day trail and asked for a 14 day extension they were very accommodating. Wish the Progress Note documentation had met our needs.
ProsEase of Use Multiple Locations Accept payments and Billing Integration Wiley Treatment Planners integration
ConsProgress Note Functionality No PIE Note Format Authorizations Management

By TheraNest on March 13, 2017
Hi Mark! Thanks so much for the review and for your candor, we genuinely appreciate it. We're always looking for ways to improve and we couldn't do it without your feedback. Please be on the lookout for someone from our support team contacting you, we want to talk more about what this could look like. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.
March 3, 2017
Jane W.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
December 23, 2017

“Theranest makes running my practice so much easier.”

ProsLife is busy, and this streamlines my practice so that info, notes, and billing are all just clicks away. It is so easy to bill insurance companies, and the encryption for credit cards is a dream!
ConsNow that the format has been updated, it's easier to navigate. Glitches that I experience are probably due to me- lol! The app does not have the all of the options available on the site. I'd love to be able to submit billing through the app. As of now, it does not appear that clients have the option of signing in to do paperwork, schedule, etc. That would be a helpful option.

By TheraNest on January 22, 2018
Hi Jane, thank you for the awesome review. We always want to hear that our customers are loving TheraNest. We¿re so happy to hear that TheraNest has helped you streamline your practice! Thank you for your feedback on the our app, we are currently working to increase the functionalities of our mobile browser/application, so make sure to stay tuned for the future updates. As always, we¿re here anytime you need us if you have any additional questions of feedback. We value you and your business, Jane. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
December 23, 2017
Esther C.
Founder/CEO/Music Therapist
August 27, 2019

“Best on the Market, and ALWAYS improving!”

OverallIt's been brilliant. Excellent customer service. HIGHLY recommended.
Pros- LOVE being able to complete billing so easily through the platform (we do private pay with credit cards and then use PDFs of the invoices for those using Medicaid Waiver) - LOVE being able to to upload files to the client's file, including mp3s. - LOVE how responsive and progressive the developers are. They are ALWAYS improving!
Cons- There are limitations to how much one can customize the progress note form. However, one can create a "custom form" (that is not a progress note) when needed.

By TheraNest on August 30, 2019
Esther thank you so much for this glowing review! We appreciate you!
August 27, 2019
Carson G.
C.O.O.
June 11, 2019

“Easy to use, easy to get help”

OverallOurs is not a therapy practice, but private pay recovery coaching for people with mental illness. So some of the incredible insurance billing features are wasted on us. Even so, Theranest is easier to use and more cost-effective than our previous scheduling software, which was designed for the home health care market. We are happy we made the switch.
ProsScheduling, adding clients and adding staff are all very easy and intuitive. We like that we can add custom forms and that most of the reports are very useful. The online help articles and tutorials answer about 80% of our questions, and the chat help has quickly handled almost all the rest. When we did need to talk to a real person we could, and got what we needed in one call. We love that the team is super-responsive when we have a suggestion for a feature. App is easy for coaches to use remotely (we think; that's the next phase.)
ConsAs of now, you can't link uploaded documents to particular sessions, or substitute a custom signable form for the Progress Notes form built-in. I wish the Staff Billing Report would create its own subtotals by staff member, as this would save us a lot of time doing payroll. Similarly, we'd love the Daily Billing Report to have subtotals by client. And we would love to be able to filter the calendar by client, but this is a small thing (you can see a list of appointments in the client tab, but not laid out in a weekly calendar).

By TheraNest on June 17, 2019
Hi Carson! We are so happy to hear that you are finding TheraNest easy to use! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review we sincerely appreciate it!
June 11, 2019
Greta P.
Therapist
November 19, 2018

“If you value customer service, this is the program for you!”

OverallAll my billing is integrated. My clients love the appointment reminders and that their co-pays are paid with a click of a button after each appointment. My new patients love the patient portal. My notes are much more thorough and audit-proof. All my patients who were with me before the switch have commented that they like theranest better.
Pros1) The customer service by far! I've never had an issue getting questions answered. 2) I love the customizable forms and the client portal. 3) I enjoy that it works with by previous clearinghouse, office ally. I love that I get help with billing when I need it. 4) I love that I can save credit cards and be paperless with my forms and client signatures. 5) I am enjoying that it syncs to my calendar so I can easily avoid double-booking my personal life and work life.
Cons1) Invoicing is clumsy. There is no "pay now" button when I email an invoice and no way to set up automatic invoicing. 2) Processing ERAs is also quite awkward, I have to have two windows opened up at the same time to enter the write-offs and payment amounts correctly into one account. My previous software fed the information into the patient account automatically, with one push of a button. I have found ways around both these issues and am holding out hope that they will add this feature!! 3) I am regretting that I picked a software limited by patients rather than staff. I am working to keep my active clients under 50, but that's kind of a pain.

By TheraNest on December 17, 2018
Thank you for the review! We appreciate all your kind words about our program! TheraNest always takes customer feedback seriously, and we are constantly releasing new features and improving upon our existing ones.
November 19, 2018
Rachel G.
Social Worker
February 9, 2018

“Quality Product & Caring Staff”

OverallI love how I can use one system to schedule clients, complete documentation (intake, diagnostic impressions, treatment plan, case notes), billing (private pay or insurances via clearinghouse, and credit card processing). It helps me to stay organized and sets reminders for tasks.
ProsTheranest has provided me with ease of billing, documentation, and scheduling clients. Their fees are very reasonable and you get a lot for the price you pay. The staff are consistently looking for ways to improve their produce and regularly incorporate suggestions from their customers. Their customer support team is efficient, kind, and professional. I had a situation wherein I needed to get reimbursed for an added feature due to me not being able to use it. Due to personal circumstance, I was unable to request the reimbursement immediately and they were very empathetic and helped me. Their team offered condolences, virtual hugs, and were readily available to provide additional support as needed. It was a testimony that this is an organization who really cares about its customers.
ConsMost of their customer service is provided via online. I prefer talking to a live person over the phone; however, when you electronically submit a question, they are very quick to provide a resolution.

By TheraNest on February 12, 2018
Hi Rachel, we're thrilled to receive your 5/5 star review. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts. We're all touched by your kind words for TheraNest and hearing you appreciate the support you've received from us. We love giving virtual hugs and helping as much as we possibly can! If you're not already aware, just want to make sure you know we do provide unlimited phone support during business hours. You can conveniently access our 1.800 number while logged into your account using the ? icon in the upper right hand corner, then selecting "Contact Us". Or if you prefer, you can schedule a call with us for a date/time that works best for you. We know your schedule is busy and your time is valuable so sometimes scheduling a call from us is the better way to go for a customer. Whatever works best for you! Thanks again, Rachel. We appreciate you! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
February 9, 2018
Philip A.
Clinical Psychologist
October 25, 2015

“TheraNest has transformed how I document and manage my solo private practice -- Outstanding!”

OverallI have been using TheraNest for nearly two years. I compared it to three other popular online practice management subscription software programs for mental health professionals and decided on TheraNest because its features met the needs of my practice and because the customer service is suberb. PROS: The program provides easy calendaring, full case documentation capability with printable case notes, a great mental status assessment feature, an ICD-10 compatible diagnosis selector, excellent invoice and superbill capability, color-coded client balance indicators, optional client reminders, optional client portal, insurance billing, optional credit card capability, capability to upload files and other documentation from your computer, batch client billing, custom form creation, a wide range of "report" features to help track one's practice, and much more. The program is generally simple to navigate. Customer service/support are absolutely superb: responses to inquiries are rapid, courteous, personable, thorough, and effective. Beyond providing outstanding service, the customer support personnel and the development team have been highly receptive to my suggestions for improvement and for new features that I hoped to see incorporated in the program. To my delight, quite a number of changes to the program have occurred as a direct result of my suggestions and recommendations. That has made me feel like not merely a user of TheraNest, but rather like a participant in its evolution, which has been very exciting for me. I use this progam multiple times a day, every work day. I depend on it heavily and enjoy using it. I have never regretted making the switch from a traditional file and paper practice to TheraNest's online subscription service. CONS: Very few, indeed. I would love to see greater integration within the program from a user interface perspective, a little more attention paid to logical workflow, a little less redundancy with respect to access links and buttons, some further cleanup of (by now relatively minor) inconsistencies in tab, page, button, and link labeling; I would also prefer a more modern overall "look" to the program, but that is my aesthetic preference and is not a significant issue for me in the big picture. I recommend this program highly and without reservation!
October 25, 2015
Veronica J.
Licensed Psychologist
December 21, 2017

“The TheraNest is very responsive to ideas and to questions.”

OverallI use it daily.
ProsIt's all-in-one and I only have to learn one program to take care of scheduling, notes, billing, etc.
ConsThe thing I like least about TheraNest is that there isn't a price break as you gain more clients.

By TheraNest on January 23, 2018
Hi Veronica, thank you for the kind review! We're very happy to hear that you've been liking TheraNest. It's wonderful to know you find our team responsive to ideas and questions because we do take yours and all of our customers feedback seriously. We are constantly releasing new features based on customer requests and improving upon existing features. Our goal is always to help make running your practice as smooth as possible so you can best serve your clients. We work very hard to build the best solution out there for practice management needs to deliver amazing value and support, and we believe that TheraNest delivers more value than it costs. If you ever have any questions about growth and pricing, one of our Business Development Specialists would be delighted to talk through options with you. Thanks again for the review and for being a valued customer, Veronica! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
December 21, 2017
Kenneth W.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker
November 28, 2018

“TheraNest Helped Me Improve Every Area of Practice”

OverallAs stated above, I feel that I am better able to store information in a manner that invites reconciliation with time and money management. The Planners have provided some inspiring ideas as well as reliable language to describe some pretty important aspects of therapy. I am able to use TheraNest to manage both macro and micro social work, with some adaptation, as well.
ProsI was a database developer, and had tried to create my own computerized record system long before we coined the term "EHR." TheraNest met all of the needs I tried to fulfill and that were lacking from other programs. I feel that I am better able to store information in a manner that invites reconciliation with time and money management.
ConsThe inability to modify the casenote or treatment plan form, or effectively export the data within documents (other than PDF).

By TheraNest on December 18, 2018
Thank you so much for the review, Kenneth! We are so flattered by your kind remarks, especially coming from a database developer!
November 28, 2018
Cory T.
Owner/therapist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
December 7, 2017

“The software is easy to use, billing is quick and simple, awesome options for treatment planning.”

ProsI like the ease of billing, very simple and quick. Theranest offers classes to increase knowledge of billing and how to avoid mistakes.
ConsI would like to see other options available on the invoices and billing set-up. An example of this is: when billing for out-of-network benefits a person must meet their deductible first. The way the system is set up now, you have to bill the insurance first, then go back and accept a payment. This payment is this categorized as the client overpaying for services. It would be nice for this kind of a scenario to have a simplified way of completing this transaction.

By TheraNest on January 17, 2018
Hi Cory, thank you for the awesome review. We are really glad to hear that TheraNest is helping to make your billing easier and quicker. We¿re always trying to help our customers get the most out of TheraNest and their practice so we¿re happy to see that you¿ve found the TheraNest classes to be useful! Thank you for the billing feedback, as you know, we take our customer feedback very seriously. We¿ll be sure to look more into this issue and see what we can do to better support out-of-network insurance billing. Thank you for being a valued customer, Cory! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
December 7, 2017
Casey S.
MFT
April 25, 2017

“Theranest for Private Practice”

OverallI have used several scheduling and billing programs in my private practice and find Theranest to be a top contender. Theranest offers a wide variety of useful tools, such as scheduling, schedule reminders, electronic insurance claims, billing, documentation, and analytics for attendance, billing, and scheduling. I have been using Theranest for a few years now and find it to be relatively glitch-free, and when I encounter an issue or have a question, customer service is extremely helpful and quick to respond.
ProsTheranest does a great job when it comes to submitting electronic insurance claims, creating superbills and/or invoices, and has plenty of storage for electronic files. Theranest also has an ios application that is user-friendly and helps with scheduling and task management.
ConsThe program is not very user-friendly, unlike SimplePractice which offers a more streamlined and clean look. Theranest needs to work on their calendar feature as it is not user-friendly or very practical.
April 25, 2017
Jackie K.
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
June 16, 2016

“Great Software Solution for our Group Practice”

OverallI'll start by saying TheraNest has some of the best customer service I have ever encountered which made the difficult transition to using practice management software so much easier for our office. We are a small non-profit mental health counseling agency that was badly in need of updating office efficiency. From the very beginning of setting up a demo to on-going questions, they have been patient, understanding, and very helpful. We also found this software to be the most affordable option with the most features after A LOT of research. We are very pleased overall!
ProsWe think that TheraNest is overall easy to use and staff in our office quickly learned the functions. It has been very reliable and is continuously updated to add new features and improvements. Again we have been very grateful for the customer service and tech support that is on-going. Lastly this was this software product offered all the functions (i.e. scheduling, reminders, billing, documentation) we were looking for at a reasonable price.
ConsSome cons would include the lack of customization available for clinical documentation. We have created work-arounds for this but it would be nice if we could fully use the software for all our clients. Although you can make a custom form, this isn't integrated into the reports function either. Similarly it would be great if there was more custom reporting options in general. However, I feel that for the affordability this is an acceptable compromise.

By TheraNest on June 24, 2016
Thank you so much, Jackie! We are thrilled that you found TheraNest easy to use. We are planning to improve the custom form feature to allow tying them to reports in the application. Let us know if you need anything, we are happy to help in any way. :) Thank you! - The TheraNest Team
June 16, 2016
Monica H.
Counselor, Co-owner
November 5, 2016

“Comprehensive EHR with no contract”

OverallMy colleagues and I began with a very comprehensive - and expensive - software that was confusing and frustrating to navigate. After doing a free trial twice and speaking with customer service about questions and concerns, we decided to switch to TheraNest. After being in business for a year, we have no regrets doing so. It continues to grow with us. And, we could not be happier with the software and team at TheraNest
Pros1. Very cost-effective 2. Stellar customer service with instant messaging 3. User-friendly 4. Comprehensive Intake, Diagnosis Eval, MSE, and progress notes fields 5. Custom forms 6. Email and Text reminder for clients 7. Streamlined insurance billing process 8. Continually enhancing software based on feedback from the professionals who utilize the software 9. Utilizes Wiley Treatment Planners and Progress Notes 10. Supervisor signature on progress notes for supervisees 11. Alerts of upcoming appointments, supervisory comments, etc 12. Instant messaging for all on your account 13. Free trial
ConsNone ---------------
November 5, 2016
Joseph P.
LCPC
October 18, 2018

“Highly Recommended Software”

OverallIt has been my primary EHR.
ProsTheranest has come a long way since it was started. Theranest is a software that has the ability to keep progress notes, remind clients of appointments, create treatment plans, connect up to a clearing house for claims, track profit, track session hours, and conduct online therapy sessions. I made a review back in 2016 but need to now re-review it because it has improved greatly in the past 2 years. The changes have been with added features and user friendliness. As a private practitioner I would greatly recommend for private practice or small agencies.
ConsThe cost has gone up in 2 years but that is not surprising. Still affordable but could be just a teeny bit cheaper. Really no major cons.

By TheraNest on November 13, 2018
Thank you for the honest review, Joseph! We really appreciate it.
October 18, 2018
Cristy T.
Therapist, Owner
Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
September 17, 2019

“Great Platform for a Teletherapy Practice Looking for an 'All in One'”

OverallSo far so good! I like the ease of use, all of the tools offered, and how documents etc. can be formatted to fit my practice needs. I hope to continue using this platform.
ProsI chose Theranest on the recommendation of an online therapists group I am a part of. So far, I have enjoyed the price point, the scheduling, calendar, intake and notes portion of Theranest and I like what I know about the teletherapy platform as well.
ConsI am not completely sure about the teletherapy platform in that I have only utilized it on a 'trial' basis. I like that it is built into the emr service and it seems to be competitive with other teletherapy platforms I have tried or looked into.

By TheraNest on September 23, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review Christy! We are glad to hear TheraNest is meeting all your needs as a Teletherapy Practice!
September 17, 2019
Cary T.
Proprietor, psychotherapist
November 4, 2015

“Great value”

OverallI am a therapist working in private practice; I do all my own record keeping and accounts. Pros - Fantastic provider support - quick, friendly, and personable. Very reasonable monthly rates. Once you get the hang of it, quite easy to use. Pretty to look at. Cons - It was much harder than expected to learn how to navigate the software. Connecting to the electronic billing was difficult, cumbersome, and extremely time-consuming. First you have to set up electronic billing agreements with each insurance provider. Then, billing information for each insurance company, and in some instances, each plan within the company, has to be entered individually and with great care to make sure it is working right. For instance, an EAP within United/Optum might be billed under a completely different customer ID than their regular individual coverage. YOU have to make sure everything is exactly right. Expect this, initially, to take many hours of tedium - and expect a hiccup whenever a plan, copay, or coverage changes. I don't know if this is true of all record-keeping software programs, or particularly Theranest, but it is a pain. Specific things I don't love about Theranest mostly include financial/bookkeeping functions. When I receive a payment, I have to receive it manually in TWO places - the client's ledger, and also the Submitted Claims section. This is silly. Also, maneuvering between sections is not intuitive (for me, anyway) and it took awhile to become adept.

By TheraNest on January 29, 2016
Hi Cary, Thank you so much! We are always just a 'click" away. :) Let us know if you need anything, we are happy to help. Unfortunately, some insurance providers require additional paperwork to get credentialed on their end. We have an ERA feature that allows for you to automatically pull in the ERA files from the clearinghouse to be applied to the client's invoice with a click of a button. You can read more here: http://support.theranest.com/customer/portal/articles/1772507 I will also follow up via email with additional information. :) Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. TheraNest Support
November 4, 2015
Christine P.
Psychotherapist In Private Practice
December 25, 2017

“TheraNest saves me Time and money and my Clients love the portal as well!”

ProsThe ease of daily invoicing as well as the treatment planning and reports are all quite helpful. I access the insurance information daily and the ERA and payment options are time savers and efficient.
ConsI would like the change the home screen setup layout so that I can customize the appearance and layout.

By TheraNest on January 22, 2018
Hi Christine, thank you so much for the 5 star review. It makes us very happy to know that TheraNest has been able to help you effectively manage your practice! We¿re always trying to make sure our customers have access to the information they need when they want, so we¿ll be sure to pass on your customization suggestion for the dashboard to our development team. Thanks again for the review. If you ever have any additional questions or feedback, we¿re always happy to help. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
December 25, 2017
FRED P.
Clinical Psychologist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
July 21, 2017

“Great for a solo practice-makes insurance billing a breeze!”

OverallEase of managing a solo psychology practice. Help with insurance claims. Easier tracking of notes, invoices, billing.
ProsI love the ease of entering standard notes, templates, the ease with which one can create invoices. The integration with insurance clearinghouses (I use Office Ally) was the main selling point for me. Keeping track of finances, billing, invoices is very easy. Customer service is very responsive and helpful.
ConsThere are a few little tasks that need to be entered manually more than once. For example, an insurance claim that is paid needs to be marked paid, then entered again. Not a big deal.

By TheraNest on September 20, 2017
Hi Fred! Thank you for taking time to provide us a great review. Customers like you make it easy for us to love what we do! To the mark claims paid point, we have some feature enhancements on the roadmap that I think you'll be excited about. We'll be sure to keep you in the loop on that. We appreciate you, Fred! :) Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
Sharon Y.
Clinical Director/Co-Owner

“Happy with Theranest”

OverallThe system is very user-friendly and the support staff is very prompt in their response time, very knowledgeable and correct issues or help direct clinicians to where they need to go. They also have been constantly in communication with a therapist to improve the system. They have implemented many new aspects to the program which continues to make record keeping easier and less time-consuming.
ProsVery user friendly
ConsIn the mental status section of the progress note, the drop downs do not go away when you type in the box unless you save each time you move from one block to the next. The Wiley progress notes are not accessible from the calendar and that often causes time errors.

By TheraNest on January 20, 2017
Hey Sharon! Thanks for the review, we are so appreciative that you've noticed how much your feedback means to us. Please keep it coming! Also, we're currently working on updates to the calendar, including being able to access notes. Keep an eye for that feature and let us know if there are any other ways in which we could serve you better! Sincerely, the TheraNest team.
Paul S.
September 19, 2016

“Theranest is perfect for private practice”

OverallI was wary of getting cloud-based software and paying a monthly fee vs. a one-shot-deal. Theranest is so worth it. They are constantly improving features; it is mostly intuitive to use; and customer support is always available and fast.
ProsTreatment plans, progress notes, and scheduling are a breaze. Setting up credit card payments was also very easy. All the diagnostic codes are there. Also, as someone with a part-time private practice, paying by the number of active clients vs. number of clinicians using the software keeps the price down. It's easy to set up text or email appointment reminders. I don't work with insurance panels, but it looks easy to do.
ConsIt's a little annoying that there's an extra fee to set it up so that clients can use the client portal to do scheduling, but this wasn't an important feature to me anyway, so I just haven't bothered with it.
Recommendations to other buyersget it, it's worth it!

By TheraNest on September 22, 2016
Hi Paul, We truly appreciate you taking time provide us a review. We're delighted TheraNest is perfect for you and your practice. Let us know if there is anything we can ever help you with. Sincerely, The TheraNest Team
September 19, 2016
Sophia G.
CEO/Pres/Dir/Psychotherapist
July 13, 2016

“THE BEST !!!”

OverallSupport is TERRIFIC and extremely timely. Darcy in particular. She is super friendly and an excellent communicator. She deserves a raise.... just saying..
ProsEasy to use
ConsI have more than one clinician so if an appt is scheduled for one clinician it's next to impossible to click in the same appt slot to schedule an appointment for another clinician. I do realize that the appt can be made by selecting the staff member and doing it that way but it would just be easier if there was a way to do it from the screen that shows all the appts for all the clinicians. The other thing is having to pay a separate fee per clinician to use the treatment planner.

By TheraNest on July 14, 2016
Thank you so much for leaving a review, Sophia! We will definitely pass on your love to Darcy. :) You can still create an appointment for the same time as another staff member on the day view and not staff. You can double click on an open spot in the calendar then adjust the time and save. I will also pass on your comments to the product team. Thank you again for the review and sending this in. If you have any other questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know at support@theranest.com. Thank you! The TheraNest Team
July 13, 2016
Alyssa W.
LPC
August 29, 2019

“Good therapy software”

OverallWe've only ever used theranest since moving everything online so I'm happy with it for the most part
ProsI love how everything is all in one place - schedule, notes, contact log, billing. I also love the feature that alerts clients about upcoming appts.
ConsIn my experience it has had some weird flukes like erasing case notes or the calendar being very touchy. I also with the treatment planning and initial assessment features were more in line with what Medicaid requires because we can't use those.

By TheraNest on August 30, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, Alyssa! We're happy to here that you've been a long time lover of TheraNest! We appreciate hearing about your experience and we'd love to connect with you personally in more detail on some of these items!
August 29, 2019
Amanda R.
January 5, 2017

“Best Software for Therapy Private Practice”

OverallI LOVE TheraNest. I have been a customer for a year and a half, and it makes notes, billing, and payment so easy. I am the only employee for my part-time therapy practice, and Theranest allows me to do everything myself. I also purchased TheraBook, so that my clients can complete intake forms online before their appointments, as well as request appointments and make payments. I utilize the credit/debit card function because TheraNest's processing fees are comparable or lower than other platforms. I can do everything I need through TheraNest! Lastly, their customer service is amazing. They are so friendly, knowledgeable and quick.
ProsI love the ease of use, customer service, and all-inclusive features.
ConsNot applicable

By TheraNest on January 20, 2017
Hi Amanda! Thanks for taking the time to write such an encouraging review, we LOVE having you as a customer. We appreciate you letting us know which features have been good for you, your satisfaction is our best recommendation. If there's anything we can do better to serve you, please let us know. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.
July 10, 2019

“Not great for larger practices”

OverallMost everything has already been said. It's been like many up and coming technology companies - not a lot of great customer support; communicating through email is frustrating (because they don't read completely what your issues are, etc.); and lots of kinks to be worked out. I also feel as if their "updates" are focused on completely superficial and peripheral things and not on the core of the software.
ProsThe therapists on staff at my agency love the software. With only a few complaints, they find it easy to use and obviously are happy to not have paper files any longer. We have used this software since July 2018. I also appreciate that TheraNest offers a discount for nonprofits, which our counseling agency is a nonprofit. This helps with my budgeting.
ConsThe billing and reporting of this software is lacking in many ways, from the lack of robust reporting options to very elementary and clunky billing system. I would NEVER recommend this product for a group practice. Literally, we asked them early on - due to their statements being very difficult to read - if they had any accounting professional associated with the development of the software, and the answer was no. I have a CPA who reconciles our books every month and it's been a nightmare trying to reconcile TheraNest. Again, it might be good for a solo practitioner or for someone who is less worried about reconciling finances.

By TheraNest on July 16, 2019
Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate hearing about all experiences! We are happy to hear that your therapists are loving the ease of use and clinical documentation features. Client management is a breeze! More recently we have made several updates to both our billing and reporting features. If you haven't visited these functions in some time we would highly recommend giving it another try! Reporting is a breeze with the new customizable options on the Daily Billing report! We consulted with accounting professionals and did many customer validation calls and we are getting a lot of positive feedback. We are surprised to hear that you are having trouble communicating with our Customer Happiness team via email. Sometimes we may need to ask some clarifying questions to ensure we are on the same page so we can point you in the right direction. But we'd be more then happy to work with you over the phone if that is easier for you!
July 10, 2019
Michaela S.
Psychotherapist
January 22, 2018

“It's very user friendly and the customer service is great.”

ProsVery user friendly, great customer service, simple forms for process notes. I love the design too. Very appealing software.
ConsThere are certain things I can't do with it, usually related to limitations in my preferences and lack of choices for certain functions. But I have suggested features and they seem open to suggestions.

By TheraNest on February 12, 2018
Hi Michaela, Thank you for taking time to provide us a great review! We're delighted to hear you think TheraNest is user friendly, the forms are simple, you love the design and find the support great - that's fantastic! We do take your feedback seriously so if there are ever features you'd like to see added, ways we can improve or suggestions you haven't shared with us, please do. We appreciate you! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team
January 22, 2018
Seneca D.
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
August 3, 2016

“Select something else if you have more than one person in your office.”

OverallI do not understand where the rave reviews have come from for this software. My only guess is these reviews are from single clinician offices. If you have more than one clinician or a prescriber in your practice I would suggest selecting another software.
ProsI like that you can send text reminders. It helps with the no show rate in our clinic. They have great customer service - but customer service only goes so far when the software isn't working correctly.
ConsForm the scheduling to billing this software is riddled with functionality gaps and bugs. As a facility that have therapists and prescribing physicians the scheduling feature doesn't allow you to setup defined appointment times. Basic schedulers should allow you to define the types of appointments in your clinic and assign a time frame to them. This same functionality should extend to the TheraNest portal. Patients can go online and request any appointment time. For example an initial intake in our clinic with the psychiatrist is one hour. A patient can go line and find any available time (they typically find 15 min slots) and submit a request to schedule that time. This results in calling the patient back and finding a time. What's the point of allowing the patient to schedule/request a time if I have to call them back? I should be able to define an initial intake as an hour so my staff can't schedule that type of an appointment for less than an hour AND patients on the portal can't request an appointment for less than an hour. We finally shut the portal off because it was causing more work calling patients back then if they'd initially called and were scheduled from the get go. If you have any patients with co insurance get ready to spend an ungodly amount of time processing the secondary insurance. While they say they support secondary insurance they do not. You have to manually enter all of the information onto the claim for the secondary insurance.
Recommendations to other buyersI have run out of space on the "cons section" so I will continue to write in this spot. If you are a prescribing facility they completely missed the mark on how CPT codes are used and billed. They calculate a co payment for each CPT code. This is a little disconcerting as had anyone referenced the CPT coding manual for behavioral health they would have seen that all visits are coded/billed with two CPT. This flaw then trickles down to the report that you use to pay out your staff as they calculate a co payment for each CPT - resulting in incorrect payouts to staff. This design flaw for prescribers also linked into the calendar. While you can setup CPT code combinations (which you have to use to schedule) as we all know you don't know what CPT codes you will actually use until you see the patient. I should be able to setup the type of appointment and the time frame for that "appointment type", i.e initial intake, follow up, therapy intake, therapy follow up, etc. Then, once they are seen by the physician they code the E&M and time CPT codes. Conversely, if they are being seen by a therapist they would also code the CPT code based on the visit. If your clinic sees a lot of EAP or other types of visits that require modifiers - forget it you've just created an inordinate amount of work to try and use them. I don't have enough space to detail out the flaws and problems our clinic has encountered. You can contact me for additional details and information.

By TheraNest on August 18, 2016
Thanks for your feedback, Seneca. We were honest about our billing and client portal features from the start. We never mislead customers. We take qualifying customers seriously and encourage everyone to be transparent about their needs so we can help them determine if we'll be able to support those needs. All potential customers have a free 21-day trial period, to test the software in order to make an informed decision. We do as much as possible to support our customers and take all customer requests seriously, but the software is sold as-is, and we make no attempts to represent the software as something it isn't. Though we don't market our software to psychiatrists due to their unique needs, TheraNest seemed to initially be a good fit for you. However, your growth to a group psychiatry practice is something that TheraNest clearly is not meant to accommodate. We continue to improve our billing and client portal features and won't stop until they're flawless. Sincerely, TheraNest Team
August 3, 2016
Harlan H.
Mental Health Care, Unspecified
3.5/5
March 24, 2016

“TheraNest--Great product for small/solo practices ”

ProsThe product is easy to use and has most of the basic features needed in a Practice Management software package. I was attracted to this product partly because of their pricing structure that is based on the number of clients and not the number of users. We employ a number of part-time therapists so this fit our business model much better than the majority of products that are priced based on the number of users.
ConsThe system does import ERAs but the insurance interface is not very reliable or robust. It does not import all of the EOB information as other products do and it is not integrated into the client ledger as well as it could be. Thus electronic payment benefit and payment information is not always accurate or complete and takes additional work to process payments. The reporting capability is also limited as there is no custom report feature. We end up using a lot of spreadsheets to manage insurance payments and issues and also having to use insurance portals such as Navinet and Provider Express which take a lot of extra time.
Recommendations to other buyersDetermine the level of billing support that you will need. While this package accomplishes the basics of insurance billing is lacks many of the features that will allow efficient processing of a large number of claims.
March 24, 2016
June 3, 2018

“Love the training and customer service responsiveness, but some key features aren't well thought out”

ProsCustomer service and responsiveness is very impressive. Now that I understand how it all works together, appointment scheduling and notes are very easy to use. I used to love that they have integrated credit card processing, but for the way we run our business it has a serious flaw. They are very open to feedback, and try to be responsive to features being asked for. Since we've signed up with them in January they have added quite a few new features, some of which are really helpful, others that don't apply to the way we happen to run our business.
ConsSome features only seem half thought out. For example: you can write one group note and have it appli to all members of the group, but in order to sign the note you have to go into each members account. This completely negates the time saved by applying the note to all group members with one key stroke. We are a small clinic and use this as our accounts receivable software also, yet there is no accounts receivable report you can generate. They have something called an "Invoice Aging" report that lists each clients outstanding invoices, but you have to go through and manually add up all the lines to get the total. To me, having an accounts receivable report should be standard. Just give me their name and the total of what they owe us. And now for the biggest con for us: The integrated credit card processing. The structure of our clinic is that each of us earns exactly what our clients pay us (in crude terms, we "eat what we kill"). For this reason when we get a deposit in our bank account we need to be able to easily identify what transactions make up that so we can give the correct therapist credit for it. There is currently no way to get this info. Theranest suggested we look at a list of payments recently made and figure out a combo that add up. This is way too time intensive (we have a bookkeeper we have to pay to do this) and it's prone to error. We're hoping they fix this soon

By TheraNest on September 18, 2018
Thank you for your review. You can apply a Progress Note to the entire group which can be customized for each specific client and electronically signed. We also have a Group Note that is a general note for the group sessions which can be electronically signed.
June 3, 2018
Alice B.
Dietitian/Therapist/Owner
Individual & Family Services, Self-employed
July 20, 2017

“Theranest has been a life saver. It is easy, smooth, and provides all my needs”

OverallAbility to use credit card services, provide quick receipts with codes to clients, keep good notes on who has paid, and who owes money, good documentation, and and thorough reports.
ProsThe ease of use, credit card services, and great customer care. I have a dietitian and therapy practice, and via using custom forms, I can run both practices through this software.
ConsHonestly this is a great product, I can not think of anything that I do not like. I love also that they are constantly improving, and looking add more features

By TheraNest on July 20, 2017
Wow Alice, we can't say enough thanks for bragging on both the software and our team. You are too kind and we're so glad to have you on board as a valued customer. I'll be sure to pass this on to our team, your words will make their day. Please do let us know if there's anything we can do to improve and know that you're feedback is always welcome! Sincerely, the TheraNest team.
July 20, 2017
Michelle S.
January 26, 2017

“best value for the money online service. ”

Overall Much easier to enter payments are to correct mistakes or re-submit billing than several other programs.
ProsThey update and improve it constantly, I found everything reasonably easy to learn except the ERAs set up to help you do appropriate charting and notes. many features for any size practice. works through Office Ally. Responsive tech support.
Cons tech support not available WHILE I'm stuck and have time to work on it! comes a day or so later. seems like every action requires two or three unnecessary clicks. I find it Very hard and confusing to manage incoming payments with ERA system. finally gave up and hired someone to figure it out (who works on another complex system) and she ended up using Office Ally to get the EOBs and then enter what is needed in Theranest. I wish they had someone available to hire already expert. Email/chat support is responsive and reasonably helpful but they may not get back for a day or so which means when I have a few hours to work on or work through problems my time is wasted and the help is not helpful because it could be quite a while till i've got desk time available again.
Recommendations to other buyersI've quit several others from frustration. I can manage this one. the only one I still find easy is Shrinkrapt from Saner Software. but that lives in your computer rather than online.

By TheraNest on January 27, 2017
Hey Michelle! Thanks for the review, we're happy to see that you've found the software to be simpler than other ones you've used, we are working hard everyday to make things as simple and as user-friendly as possible, and know our staff is always here to help with anything you might need. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.
January 26, 2017
Kendhal O.
October 26, 2015

“Overall great experience with Theranest”

OverallI weighed options on a LOT of EMRs and did free trials on a number of them. They all have their shortcomings so you have to decide what you are willing to live without. Things I love about theranest: First of all, their customer service is TOP NOTCH. I swear I am on a first name basis with all of them. They are very easy to reach via email/instant message within theranest. Secondly, the ability to link insurance claims, EOBs and accept credit cards within theranest reduce our work time substantially. The EMR is also incredibly affordable for a group practice. When I was first researching options, I was astounded at how much they charged per month, per therapist. Theranest charges a flat rate depending on how many clients you have. You can have unlimited therapists which is perfect for our practice. Their email and text reminders are a life saver and you can edit them both to say what you like (we updated ours in Spanish as well). Downsides are few and like I said, you have to be willing to give up a few things. It's overwhelming to set up the insurance connections to be able to file electronically. But, after you do it once, you are good to go. I wish Theranest would email the therapist when a client electronically cancels their appointment so we have the opportunity to fill it asap, but it doesn't as of now. It does sync with google calendar but you cannot add things onto google calendar and have them show up on theranest- it only syncs one way. The biggest downside overall is the inability to use it on a phone or tablet. Even on a large tablet, it is difficult to navigate unless you have a mouse. I wish there was a better mobile format or an app for it so we could schedule appointments on the go. Having said all that, I highly recommend theranest and don't anticipate switching to any other service for the foreseeable future. Once you get to know the system, it is very simple and easy to use.
October 26, 2015
Hallie B.
Founder/Owner
July 21, 2014

“Customer Service is outstanding! Easy to use and navigate.”

OverallPros: Easy to use once I adjusted to the system. For all questions regarding use and/or added features, customers service (Travis!) has been phenomenal!, quick responses and great support for a new business owner and a go at establishing a paper-less practice! Codes needed were able to be added. Billing is easy but done manually each session with each client for the end of month bill which is charged to the saved credit card (love this feature)! Billing is quick - takes about 1 minute per client, which is fantastic (since the leg work is done during each session). Price is extremely reasonable for my practice's current needs. Cons: More geared toward psych and less toward speech therapy. More geared toward a practice that is in an office and not one that travels to the client (but still making do and it's working well). Personally need info on the superbill to be included on an invoice (need more customizable invoice) for my families to submit to insurance on their own with all necessary practice and provider credentials included. Not able to select "community" for services provided have to create myself and manually add in but not listed as primary place of therapy for insurance purposes, even when it shows up somewhere on the superbill. Intake and other pages need to be more editable (eliminate suggested fields or add your own...and/or change the name of a field for a given practice) since all of the mental health fields are inappropriate for a pediatric SLP practice and prevents me from using half of the pre-made forms since I cannot send them to families with the data fields written on them as they currently exist. Overall impressions: This is a great product and the customer service is out of this world, phenomenal! There have already been tweaks to the program and new additions based on requests I have made so I plan to stick with Theranest as they are the best I have found and the most responsive! (the most reasonable $$ too).
July 21, 2014
Stephanie S.
Executive Director
August 6, 2019

“Connections”

OverallI can now print notes and treatment plans directly from the system.
ProsSession notes are written on a template that identifies treatment goals in the same space and allows for 90 day updates to be alerted.
ConsI struggle with losing data when I switch to a different part of the file if I dont save first. I wish autosave happened when I switch pages.

By TheraNest on August 20, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, Stephanie! We are happy to hear you are enjoying the notes and treatment plans!
August 6, 2019