SimplePractice Ratings

Overall

About SimplePractice

Grow your business, focus on your clients, and let SimplePractice handle the rest. In just minutes you can send fully paperless intakes, communicate with clients securely, get paid automatically, send free appointment reminders, and even run your business on the go with our top-rated mobile app. Use the Client Portal to connect outside of sessions, seamlessly bill insurance, and conduct sessions anywhere by Telehealth. Try it free today and see why thousands of customers voted SimplePractice #1! Learn more about SimplePractice

Showing 50 of 2085 reviews

Showing 50 of 2085 reviews

Braden D.
Behavioral Health Consultant
September 30, 2019

“Excellent software, simple design”

OverallOverall it is the best software solution that I was able to find and I tested quite a few. The only other one that came close at a comparable price was Therapy Appointment but I found Simple Practice to be overall better. I do like it and really hope that they constantly improve the software to include the things I mentioned above. If they do then I do not see myself leaving Simple Practice for a long time.
ProsFor me the best feature of this software is the online integration such as the client portal, the syncing with my google calendar, the video appointment capability, online scheduling, online bill payment, texting feature, automatic appointment reminders and easy online access to my EHR. I also like the simple modern design - this is what initially attracted me to simple practice. I have had good experience with customer service. Sometimes chat has been available but other times I've had to email them (but I wish chat was always available).
ConsI want more customization capability. Such as customizing what the client portal looks like (graphic design of the portal is lacking). Also would like to better customize the reminder and welcome emails, such as by being able to use rich text formatting. I would like to be able to customize discreet data fields in the EHR, such as being able to edit my demographics form to include things I want to track. And also be able to have discreet custom data fields such as to keep track of PHQ-9 scores or other biometric data I want to be able to track over time. I would also like to have faxing built into the software because I work closely with medical providers and this is their primary way of communicating with other providers. Also wish they would offer a different credit card processing vendor because Stripe is one of the most expensive ones I compared.
September 30, 2019
Heather K.
Clinical Social Worker
September 8, 2019

“Not Bad, but I miss Epic”

OverallSo far, I've only created templates, added clients, and input insurance information. I'm moving on to billing next week so I'll know more then. I would add that I really appreciated the half-hour in-person tutorial (via zoom) I received near the end of my trial period.
ProsThere are many things I like about this EMR: the format is pleasing and (mostly) intuitive, the side bars are handy, and the trove of FAQ's and videos is astounding and often very helpful.
ConsThe templates limit the user to certain forms and give fairly small boxes for narrative responses. I used to use EPIC and I miss being able to populate an open page with my template and add/adjust it as desired, like a Word document. I also wish the calendar allowed for more detail--like, a different color for intakes vs follow-up appointments would be really nice. Or, there could be a code before the client's name in the calendar slot--like, 'I - Jane Doe' and 'F - John Doe'. I also wish that the end time of the appts was more clear. I like to schedule a 15 min break between my appts and the "Weekly" view is definitely better than the "monthly" view for this, but still not as clear as I would like.

By SimplePractice on September 11, 2019
Heather, thank you for your positive review. We're glad that you've found a lot to like about SimplePractice. We're always working on improving SimplePractice to streamline your workflows even further - thank you for your suggestions of what you'd like to see in SimplePractice in the future. - Gillian from SimplePractice
September 8, 2019
Geoff G.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
August 25, 2019

“Seamless transition, works exactly as described”

Pros- Seamless transition from prior electronic medical record (EMR) to SimplePractice. Just great. - Everything works, and loads fast - UI is clear, intuitive - Features work really well, including the videoconferencing add-on. Just really great! Bottom line: It works exactly as described, was easy to set up, and really is a joy to use. Seriously.
ConsI have not found something I didn't like yet. I have been using it for a few days since I set it up this week, and everything is working really well! No problems.

By SimplePractice on September 4, 2019
Geoff, welcome to the SimplePractice Community. We're glad that your transition to SimplePractice was seamless, and that you enjoy using our all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Michelle H.
CEO/Psychotherapist
August 6, 2019

“Super Easy for Solo Practitioners. Need Some Work for Group Practice Use.”

OverallIn spite of the cons noted above (and I could have written more), Simple Practice is VERY good software and would actually kill the game so to speak if they fixed some of the flaws noted above as well as improving customer service. While I do like that why have not outsourced customer service to a foreign country like many others, the lack of phone support can be rather irritating. No one wants to send emails back and forth to resolve issues,
ProsSimple Practice really is super easy for the average user. It has a modern look and feel. In less than 60 seconds (52 seconds to be exact) you and create a new client, schedule and send intake forms to be electronically signed. Overall the system is pretty intuitive. I love that you can create your own document and forms. The template creator is fairly easy. I also like that clients can "request" an appointment, which I can approve or deny. Finally, the calendar has very robust features (even better than 'many' of the scheduling apps). Also this comment isnt about the software per se but about the company-- I truly appreciate the they encourage feedback and suggestions from their subscribers and take action on 'some' of the suggestions.
ConsSimple Practice takes a really long time to get enrollments with Medicaid & Medicare. They blame CMS but even CMS says it doesn't take months to get approved to bill though a clearinghouse (Yes, I know SP is not a clearinghouse). Secondary billing with is an absolutely nightmare. You literally have to do it manually--as in printing and mailing. I'm not really sure why but every single client I have with secondary insurance billing section is messed up. Allocating payments appropriately is a mystery and there is a 'special' way you have to do it which Ive never been able to grasp. The end result is no client with secondary insurance has a zero balance. Treatment Plans do not have electronic signatures, which is a great disappointment. While there is a template builder, it's not intended for Treatment Plans only Progress Notes. Technically you can create an ITP of your own liking but in order to see your ITP goals/objectives to write your notes, you MUST use one of their templates (creating double work). Simple Practice is now being marketed for use for Group Practices. I was disappointed to learn that if you have Interns or Intermediate/Pre-Licensed Clinicians while you can review and sign their notes, there is not notification of any kind. This mean the Intern/Pre-Licensed Clinicians would need to email the Supervisor which client notes to read either daily or weekly--which is simply ridiculous.

By SimplePractice on August 13, 2019
Michelle, thank you for your comprehensive review. We're glad to support your practice with our best-in-class practice management platform. We're constantly working on improving our platform, as you've pointed out in our review, and are looking forward to improving our functionality around secondary claims, documentation, and group practices. Thanks for being our customer over the years. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Victoria F.
August 5, 2019

“Best Scope of Functionality for Price Out There”

ProsI love all that I can do with Simple Practice. I was looking for a service that can house my client documents for my in-person private practice, teletherapy practice, and coaching business all in one. It makes the onboarding/intake process for new clients so streamlined and easy. It's so nice to have one less thing to worry about as a new small business owner. Customer support has been excellent. It feels great knowing I'll have help if I need it for something so essential to my business.
ConsSometimes it's not that simple to use! But I think it speaks more to the breadth of options available than to the software itself. There's so much I could do with it, at times it is overwhelming.

By SimplePractice on August 13, 2019
Victoria, we appreciate your glowing review. Our goal is to support practices like yours so they can grow and thrive. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice as your all-in-one practice management platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice
August 5, 2019
Casey C.
LPC
July 31, 2019

“Overall great software that could use a few improvements”

OverallOverall, I have been happy with Simple Practice. I wanted a place I could handle paperwork, notes, billing, scheduling, and secure video and messaging--this has got it all. It's priced fairly, and so far has been more consistent than more expensive competitors. The support staff is helpful and quick to respond, but I would like to see clients have direct support access so that I am not having to be a middle person when they have technical issues. (I was told they try to limit client contact for privacy reasons, but with a BAA and informed consent in place, I don't see how privacy would be an issue.) The biggest change I would like to see is for clients to be able to upload and send documents. This is something I'd imagine multiple users would appreciate as many of us are offering telehealth and need to have a copy of each client's ID. Also, it would be more convenient for providers if clients could access their demographics so that the provider is not responsible for making changes whenever they'd like to opt in/out of text or email alerts. Finally, I'd like to see the consent documents moved out of the client portal and with the other forms so they are more easily accessible for updating.
ProsMostly user-friendly, responsive and helpful customer support, customizable templates, clear video, easy client onboarding and billing, great value for the price
ConsPlacement of consent documents is awkward and not intuitive. I would like the client to be able to send documents to me, access tech support, and change their demographic info and opt in/out choices.

By SimplePractice on August 12, 2019
Hi Casey, thanks for your positive review, and for calling SimplePractice a great value for the price. We're proud to provide an excellent product at a great value to private practices everywhere. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice
July 31, 2019
Lisa E G.
Board Certified Psychiatrist, Psychotherapist in Private Practice
Medical Practice, Self-employed
January 24, 2019

“Does a lot. ”

OverallGood overall. The one other thing I would like to mention is that you can't get a live help from Tech support in real time. You can "attend" virtual classes, sign up for live classes (which I haven't done. Time thing) and if you have a question, you can submit it to a chat community (not helpful, not enough docs so they responses are non-relevant) or you submit an email to technical support and they write back. Here's the catch. You have to respond to their response right away or if you miss the 2; hour window they consider your request "satisfied" and they move in. My suggestion would be to hire more live real time tech support. And if you want to add physicians, consider adding eprescribe and a lab interface. Just my suggestions. There are lots of reasons to not cater to doctors, but if Simple Practice would want to do that, a few small fixes could make this a very usable and more complete package.
ProsNice and plain in a lot of ways yet let's you do these things: Set up your own intake forms, diagnostic codes, billing forms, scheduling, a secure patient portal so when patients contact you, you can send them a secure link they can use to sign your consent forms, pay you using a credit card which you don't have to handle, schedule a session, and do a telehealth visit in a secure HIPAA compliant way. There is also a way to do billing so bills can be submitted to an insurance company.
ConsSimple practice is designed for mental health professionals and non-MD's mainly, so as a psychiatrist, it does MOST but NOT ALL of the things I need for a telepsych practice. For example, I cannot e-prescribe, order labs or review lab results using simple practice. But that's okay. They never claimed it could be used for this. So I am still getting off the ground with my own practice and will probably just use some work arounds such as writing paper scripts for now, and this is fine unless I get a patient who needs clozaril, lithium or delante, at which time I will need to get lab ordering and reviewing capabilities from somewhere else. So the thing is this. Simple Practice does a lot of things. For a psychotherapist non-prescriber, it would pretty much do everything you could ever want a platform to do. For a psychiatrist, it hits about 2/3 of the total function domain needed. For internal medicine, family medicine or endocrinology I would definitely recommend doing something else. They make no claims to physician specific and the main reason I picked it is for the telehealth and the billing simplification and the collect payment without touching money feature.

By SimplePractice on February 8, 2019
Lisa, thanks for your positive SimplePractice review. We¿re glad that SimplePractice is working for your telepsyche practice - you can always submit suggestions to our team on how to improve SimplePractice even more at simplepractice.uservoice.com. - Gillian from SimplePractice
January 24, 2019
Nadirah M.
LMFTA
Individual & Family Services, Self-employed
November 28, 2018

“Now that I experineced it for myself-Telehealth (Therapy) Not as scary and awakard it sounded!”

OverallFirst, I am still learning the software, yet from my experience, I believe I will keep it. I am not shopping around for another one. The support is helpful, daily update and reminders that help keep me organized. At some time, I will add the calendar to my website. For now, the software lives up to it name in that it is a simple practice. When I rented office space, I had to be there to meet my client and some would cancel at the last moment. Now, I set the reminders, phone, email, text... and if I client doesn't show, after I have braved the traffic and rushed across town to get to the office, sitting and waiting and wondering if the client will show, I don't feel that I wasted time, gas and frustrated because the client did not call to cancel hours or days before. I really like my online office. I thought it would feel distant and cold...so far, the online face-to-face still feel personal. I also like that the system meet HIPPA and my state requirements.
ProsI like the ease of scheduling appointments without having to complete lots of training of how to do so. I appreciate the stripe credit card system that is built into the software as this was one concern I had of accepting payments from client. I like the video conferencing and the fact that live training is offered and I actually get to see the people behind the scene as opposed to email. My inquiry to customer support turn around time was a reasonable and issue resolved. I love the fact the I can send a client a paid invoice immediately, after accepting credit card payment over the phone...thank goodness less paperwork. I really love all of the forms clients need to complete are available...ease of writing progress notes, etc...
ConsI am still learning to use the software and got confused when I accepted payment the first time, and not certain if I needed to accept stripe versus manual credit card. I accepted manual credit card and had to make a correction. Each client recent activity is a running list and it would be nice if all activity were grouped under the client name. For example, when I click the client name, I see all activity that took place versus a running list of the same client name numerous times and activity. I wish that I could change the portal name. It appears once decided on a name, it is a url and locked, no changes afterward.

By SimplePractice on December 7, 2018
Hi Nadirah, Thanks so much for your thoughtful review. We are so happy to hear that our Telehealth feature is working so well for your practice, and that reminders have helped your clients show up for their appointments on time. With respect to your comments about the Activity logs and your practice URL, we can provide more assistance here. Please reach out to us with an email request by clicking the orange 'Help' button in the bottom left corner of your account, or by following this link: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new We look forward to hearing from you. - Natasha from SimplePractice
November 28, 2018
September 17, 2018

“Still learning, but loving it!”

OverallIt is obvious that a great deal of thoughtful consideration has gone into the development of this software. While there elements that I would like to see incorporated as a matter of convenience, there are absolutely no deal breakers here! I do have much to learn, but I feel confident that I made the choice for my private practice. Try the free month ~ be impressed!
ProsIt's only fair to say that I still have many things to learn! I've not experienced the insurance side of things yet, and that's a beast all its own. That said... I find the online "How To" articles helpful and easy to follow. The videos are also helpful most of the time. I have not attempted to reach a person by phone, however, mostly b/c I've not needed to (yet). Being cloud based was an absolute must. Love the intuitive and attractive visual interface! The Client Portal has been easy to incorporate into the company website, and clients find it easy to use. I like being able to initiate the intake process immediately with a client who requests an appointment. Super like the reminders that help me keep up with what needs to be completed. It has also been helpful to receive an email of my agenda for the day. Having the flexibility to modify forms or create my own is awesome! It took me some time to understand how, but I got it.
ConsI prefer structure when I'm just learning how to navigate new software. It is helpful to me to have "How To" guides in an order that leads me through necessary processes. I found myself wondering if I'd completed everything required in a process, was there a tab I hadn't discovered, etc. Having a check list, an order, some sort of structure to remove the mystery as I acclimated would have been reassuring. Color coding features would be helpful to differentiate between clinicians, insurance companies, etc. I find the mobile app to be difficult to navigate. Attempting to schedule clients or see what is available is cumbersome. I've since synced the calendar with Google, and that appears to be working more smoothly. It would be wonderful if there was a way to connect local SP users. I've had questions come up that a user more seasoned than myself could likely answer in five minutes....versus the hour or more I spent chasing rabbits.

By SimplePractice on October 30, 2018
Thanks so much for your positive review. We have a thriving community of SimplePractice customers - most likely in your local area - on our Community Forum at community.simplepractice.com and in our Facebook community at facebook.com/groups/simplepractice. We're here to help - thanks for choosing SimplePractice. - Gillian from SimplePractice
September 17, 2018
Lisa V.
Psychiatrist
July 24, 2018

“Overall, a well-designed and easy-to-use EMR”

OverallThis software keeps me organized, allows me to keep my patient information secure, integrates scheduling/billing/documentation in one place, and offers an app that is well coordinated with the full desktop experience.
ProsThe design of the software is clean and intuitive, not just the portion experienced by clinicians but also the patient/client portal. I found it easy to create my own templates and appreciate the ability to import the prior note to edit it for each session rather than having to start anew each time I meet with someone. Scheduling both by desktop and by app are very easy to use, allowing to set up repeat appointments. I appreciate the ease of generating superbills and invoices, changing charges and correcting them, and the option of manual inputs of payment if you choose not to use the integrated credit card payment system (Stripe). I really appreciate the option of "privacy mode" so that patient's full names are not displayed on my calendar. The 30-day trial was very helpful for ensuring that I was getting what I hoped I was and it was nice to be able to try both the essential and the professional features to figure out which plan made more sense for my practice.
Cons1. I think others have mentioned the irritation of not being able to contact someone directly for customer support. Emailing is fine, it's not a huge deal, but it just creates delays with issues that I think could be worked out quickly with a phone call. 2. As a psychiatrist, it would be helpful if there were ways to prominently post the patient's allergies, medications, etc in a way where you wouldn't have to hunt through your prior notes to find them. However, this software is marketed to behavioral health professionals broadly rather than psychiatrists specifically, so I wouldn't expect it to be so tailored. 3. I would like to be able to customize the mini-website that my patients see in more ways than what's currently available. 4. The rates for Stripe seemed a little steep (at least for a solo practitioner) but it's your only option if you want an integrated credit card system. In the end, I am doing that piece with a different service to avoid the higher rates.

By SimplePractice on July 25, 2018
Lisa, thank you so much for your thorough and thoughtful review of SimplePractice. We're glad to hear that you find SimplePractice to be clean and intuitive, and proud to support the work that you do! Did you know you can schedule a one-on-one screensharing session with a Product Specialist at your convenience, any time? We're always standing by to help. I'd also recommend using a Sticky Chart Note to keep information like allergies and medications at the top of the client's chart - just create a Chart Note and set the date to sometime in the future, and it'll stay at the top of the chart! Thanks again for choosing SimplePractice. We're glad you're a part of our community! - Gillian from SimplePractice
Ariel W.
Business Manager
February 28, 2018

“Satisfied Chiropractor & Acupuncturist”

ProsLots of important pros. 1) Online scheduling and intake, 2) integrated payment processing and auto-pay, 3) cloud based, 4) competitive pricing, 5) very easy to learn, 6) the team is getting faster (slightly) with updates/improvements, 7) works for chiropractic billing now, 8) free online help articles, and 9) free month trial. We looked into so many options, and Simple Practice was clearly the best in our opinion. We're still happy with our choice; the pros outweigh the cons!
Cons1) Text reminders: you only have a few options of when they go out, and all options are 24+ before the appointment. A text reminder shortly before greatly reduces no-shows, so it's a major feature missing. 2) Confirming appointments: you can't turn off the need to confirm appointments, and it's time consuming to confirm every. single. appointment. We want the option to turn off confirmation, or at least for some appointment types. 3) Email reminders: you have to turn them on for every patient, and it's not quick to get to it. 4) Sales tax: they don't track it, so you have to manually keep track. You shouldn't use this software if you sell products regularly. 5) Customer service: too slow. Not just initial response time, but how many back and forth emails it takes to get an answer. I tried the live q&a and it didn't get me an answer any faster. Chat would be a big improvement. 6) Group practice: overall it works well. The thing that is lacking is the report to help with payroll. It's confusing and needs better instructions/help articles 7) Online scheduling: overall good. The con is cancelling online. A) it's hard to find, so we get more phone calls than we used to. B) we let patients cancel up to 12 hours beforehand, but the software cuts it off 24 hours before, so we again get more calls than before. 8) Color coding: you can't set the background color of appointments. For us, it would be so helpful to make insurance appointments a different color than self-pay.

By SimplePractice on March 10, 2018
Hi Ariel - We love hearing from our customers that have shopped around and find SimplePractice the best platform for their needs! It's great to see you're utilizing so many features already. When it comes to your requests for feature adjustments, we regularly take customer requests into consideration to make sure our product meets the needs of all types of business owners. We're created a Product RoadMap to share what we've done lately and what is in the works here if you're interested in checking it out: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap Thanks for your detailed review!
February 28, 2018
Jill B.
November 12, 2017

“I have had on-going insurance enrollment and payer reports since I started with Simple Practice. ”

OverallIt is simple with respect to face validity. You can navigate around pretty easily without making serious or irreversible mistakes that many of us fear with the technical aspects of EHRs.
ProsIt works relatively well if you have mostly direct pay clients or accept only a couple of insurances. It also works well if you have very few tech problems, your are pretty "techy" and industry knowledgeable to begin with, and you are ok with short answer email responses to any questions you might have.
ConsThere is no one to call. Even if you email asking for a phone call, they won't talk to you. Their customer support consists of sending you video and article links about how to do things. Or emailing you back and forth over the period of weeks or even months. However, if you have an actual, real-time problem, that cannot be fixed by watching a video, and requires someone to actually get on a phone and figure out what is going on- forget it. Your accounts will be hopelessly upside down, which is anything but simple! For example: insurance enrollments or payer reports that require immediate technical support, forget it. They will email you back and forth for months telling you that they submitted to have the problem fixed, as if that fixed your problem. Or they will answer you without addressing the whole problem. If you accept and/or bill multiple insurance companies, keep moving. Simple Practice is not the answer. It's too difficult to move your entire operation to another EHR once you have completely set up with Simple Practice and then you find out months later that there are no "simple" fixes when you have legitimate insurance problems.

By SimplePractice on November 16, 2017
Hi Jill - Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I'm sorry to hear you feel like we're not here to help you! That's definitely not the case. While we aren't able to respond immediately to emails and don't currently have phone support, we do our best to get you a personalized response within a few hours. We also have several Live Online Classes to show customers the various features in the platform and how to use them. If you're interested in signing up for any of these, here is the link to do so: http://features.simplepractice.com/classes/ If there's something we haven't helped out with, please don't hesitate to send us a message here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. I'll make sure we help you out. We appreciate your patience and candor, Jill!
November 12, 2017
William S.
Mental Health Care, 11-50 employees
April 14, 2017

“Simple Practice - there is truth in the name”

OverallI have tested out Simple Practice for our group practice and we plan on transitioning to it. It's rare to find a company so well balanced in its direction. The user interface design is well thought out and makes doing otherwise complex procedures simple and straightforward. The documentation and user support is something you would expect from a much larger and more resourced entity. The product development has been very focused and well planned as features are thoughtfully implemented. Some of their competitors seem to decide which features to develop at random. Simple Practice first popped on my radar in 2012 and they had a beautiful interface, a simple iphone app, but they couldn't do much other than notes and calendaring. Oh, how things have changed. They now take payment, and even do autopay on weekly clients. They simply and beautifully execute therapy notes, have a client portal, process insurance claims, have appointment reminders, treatment plans, calendar sync, and you can have clients signup and schedule directly through simple practice. You can even push them assessments to fill out to add to their records. I didn't like how their product shows client credit's and debit's. I will say that it seems like there is a more intuitive way to do this for reconciling accounts. When you first look at it, it will confuse you and I am sure it is something they spend time on with each new customer. This surprises me that they have kept it this way since everything else is so intuitive. The only area I can't speak to is what their reporting looks like. Theranest has a feature I like in their reporting as it shows you by clinician and referral source, who has sent you the most business the stick rate, and things like this. Personally, I would love to be able to see more granular data to know what each clinician is best with matching intakes with treatment outcomes and being able to see each clinician's number of clients who are active and their insurance to private pay ratios. If I were to extend my wishlist, I would like some limited CRM features as well to help with new client inquiries. All of that said, Simple Practice is the Tesla of therapist EMR's. They are pioneering the field and they know it. I recommend them to all clinicians.
ProsFeatures, product speed of development, user interface design, ease of implementation.
Consreporting, cost if you have a group, the only credit card company support is Stripe's API and they have a minimum of per month volume before they will lower their fee's.
Recommendations to other buyersIt's a rock solid product and is pioneering the field.

By SimplePractice on May 4, 2017
Hi William, we're grateful that you're part of our community! It's great to hear your story of revisiting SimplePractice after we added more features. We're working hard every day to make improvements so that both solo and group practitioners are able to use our product easily and efficiently.
April 14, 2017
Susan L.
Psychologist
October 14, 2018

“Great EHR after set-up and consistently EXCEPTIONAL customer support ”

OverallI found SimplePractice somewhat frustrating in the beginning as I familiarized myself with their software and set up connections with insurance payers. I so desperately wanted SimplePractice to have a customer support phone number I could call at my convenience to answer a variety of questions. However, I have gotten use to their support system via email and love that I have been able to work with the same person with most of my questions. I eventually found value in the email support system as the conversations were tracked and included so I did not have to re-explain the issues. Overall, I'd say that SimplePractice has worked very well for me after the set-up process and I find their customer support department to be very professional and courteous and extremely patient.
ProsI like the patient portal that allowed me to easily send patients paperwork to complete before their initial sessions, saving me time and money. I also find great value in the patient appointment reminders to cut down on no shows. The EHR is great for customizing my practice from how appointments can be scheduled to designing forms and progress note templates. The program also keeps track of sessions that needs to be billed and which claims were paid. Great features!
ConsThe EHR was a bit difficult to navigate in the beginning. It was hard to remember which links led to which features. I would have preferred major links/buttons to be icons rather than words. Also, being able to electronically submit secondary insurance claims would be a feature that would make SimplePractice even simpler. It would also be great if the patient portal sign-in page could be personalized, as I would like to include a welcome message and list which insurances I accept.

By SimplePractice on October 30, 2018
Susan, thank you for the kind words about our Customer Success team! We're glad to hear that you're getting a great value from your SimplePractice subscription. Thank you for choosing SimplePractice for your private practice. - Gillian from SimplePractice
October 14, 2018
Brittany M.
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
August 27, 2019

“User-friendly & organized note-keeping!”

OverallGreat experience using SimplePractice since I first set up an account almost 4 years ago. I've recommended it to several colleagues and used other mental health software prior to switching to SimplePractice that just didn't work for me.
ProsSimplePractice is easy to use, keeps my appointments organized, and is so helpful having billing and notes housed in one place!
ConsSome of my clients are families and it would be helpful to be able to have an option to schedule a session under the label "family" (currently the options are only "individual" or "couple").

By SimplePractice on September 4, 2019
Brittany, we're so glad to have supported Flower City Therapy over the last 4 years. Thank you for your continued support as our customer, and for your positive review. We're always working on introducing even more features and functionality to SimplePractice - keep an eye out for updates to the product in the future to streamline your experience of working with families. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Amy B.
Sex and Intimacy Therapist
September 5, 2019

“from paper to technology”

OverallOverall I am very pleased with this product and the more comfortable I get with it the more time it will save me.
Prosthe features I appreciate most about the software are the auto billing and automatic superbill generation. these are tasks that have no return on my time investment and so anything to automatize or regain my time is a good financial investment for me. I also appreciate the ease of adding my clinical note directly to the appointment, the way it links couples together and the ability to share and upload documents with clients. the customer service has been stellar, from answering questions to providing a free 1:1 consult. They have also responded to our request of adjusting the demographic form to be more inclusive which was a major need for my practice.
ConsI don't like that I have to add a whole separate client entity for couples and that they have to sign their own consents. Creating your own intake questionnaire is extremely tedious if its comprehensive and so I'm yet to try and get my current form onto the system because it would take me hours.

By SimplePractice on September 11, 2019
Amy, thank you for your positive review - we're glad that automation of your practice workflows has helped you save time and get a higher return on your time investment. We're also proud to continue iterating on SimplePractice to introduce new, better features to more effectively support your practice and clients. - Gillian from SimplePractice
September 5, 2019
Sheila M.
Therapist

“Best Purchase”

OverallOverall I am finding using simple practice to be very helpful and useful and has been easily accessible for my client's as well. It is easy and convenient to use.
ProsI like how easy and convenient it is to use the software on any laptop and being able to have access to it on a smartphone device. I like that you are able to add your own documents for client use and/or viewing and not required to only use the templates provided. I enjoy having access to several assessment screening tools handy. Creating notes and treatment plans are very simple. I am transitioning from paper charts to electronic EHR and the switchover seemed to be pretty simple and not too time consuming. At the beginning of familiarizing myself with Simple Practice I had to contact customer support a couple times and the response time was a quick turnaround and they were able to guide me in taking the steps to resolve the issues I needed help with. Using the community support has several topics that are useful and helpful.
ConsI dislike that there are no fillable forms available currently for clients to fill out. I am hoping in the future there will be access to fillable forms. The calendar view would be nice to have the option to mark only showing by the hour when adding new appointments in instead of breaking down or scrolling through minute by minute.

By SimplePractice on August 27, 2019
Sheila, thanks for your positive review. We're glad that you're enjoying SimplePractice so far. Did you know that we have a library of fillable forms for your clients to fill out during the intake process in our Template Library? If you need assistance getting your Client Portal set up so you can send clients forms to fill out and eSign, don't hesitate to reach out - we're here to help. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Heather L.
Therapist/Owner
July 13, 2016

“Efficient, intuitive, and oh-so-supportive.”

OverallI will be the first to admit that the administrative side of running a psychtherapy office isn't what nourishes me most - it's the relationships with my clients and colleagues that sustain and inspire me. That said, I realize that the administrative aspect of my business is central to building a successful practice so that I can continue to do the work that I love. Finding a practice management system that is effective and intuitive, and built for mental health therapists, has been a game changer. I knew I would find the right system, eventually. SimplePractice fit the bill. What came as a surprise is the quality of the relationships that I'd build with the customer support professionals at SimplePractice. When getting started, I reached out to customer support about various aspects related to enrollment and billing of Medicare. I had a unique-ish circumstance with my enrollment due to address changes. I had spent a significant amount of time on the phone with Medicare and got as far as I could with them. I reached out to SimplePractice support by email (there's no phone number!) and admittedly, I thought I'd never hear back - that feeling of sending an email out into the universe to float around forever. I had not even registered for SP, yet. Well, I had a response within 1 day. The responder was encouraging, informed, concise and kind (remember I'm all about the relationship). In some ways, I couldn't believe how simple he made it for me, so I clarified with him 2 times! In each rresponse, he remained professional, encouraging, and helpful. It was a dream come true. A technology for therapists that thrive in relationships. A responder that spoke a technology language that I understood. Someone that wanted me to be successful in building my management system. In this age of nameless, faceless interactions, I really felt like "Will" was there to not just answer a question, but to help me be successful in my business.
ProsResponsive customer support. Appointment reminders . Client portal for intake paperwork and billing. Nice visual interface. Intuitive. Built in credit card processing. Intake paperwork forms that are built for therapy offices.
ConsNothing I've identified, yet.
Recommendations to other buyersTry the free month!

By SimplePractice on July 15, 2016
Heather, this made our day! We love everything you said. We exist because we want to help our customers focus on the work they love and not have to worry about the busy work. We're here for you! Thanks for joining our growing SimplePractice community!
July 13, 2016
Cathy L.
Social Worker
March 3, 2018

“Tried a few, decided to keep SimplePractice”

OverallI can now easily log my notes without taking up space in my office (I converted from paper files to SP); I can input my notes much quicker; text reminders for clients!! No more no-call-no-shows!!
ProsSP is easy to use and quite intuitive. The customer service agents are simply amazing - always very kind and unlike many from other companies, they actually take the time to read and write personalized replies instead of sending out a cookie-cutter template. I've asked more questions than I care to remember and every single time, I have received a precise answer with clear, detailed explanations. That, in my opinion, makes it all worth it. It has pretty much all the features I need without going over-the-top with bells and whistles, adding unnecessary bloat like another major service provider.
ConsThere are only two things which come to mind, and they aren't major cons. The first is the inability to fully personalize text messages in another language - we can modify the text reminder; however, the date that is sent with the message remains in english (so in a french message, the date still appears in english - day of the week, month, date, time). Not a major issue, but it would be great to offer an option to convert the whole message into a given language. Second is the ability to add an add-on service for an appointment. For example, I offer animal-assisted therapy to some of my clients. I would love to be able to track how many hours my animals are putting in; as of now, there is no way to add and add-on service, I have to actually enter my co-therapist as a client and "book" him an appointment for his hours to appear somewhere in my logs. Again, not a major issue, it would simply be nice to be able to add additional services to a session.

By SimplePractice on April 6, 2018
Hi Cathy, I'm so happy to hear SimplePractice has felt intuitive and that your communication with customer service has been clear and precise. If you're interested, feel free to check out our product roadmap blog to keep up with what we're working on: https://tinyurl.com/y8hklj7b. Best, Niki
March 3, 2018
Amanda G.
Program Director
August 7, 2019

“Simple Practice saved me! ”

OverallTruly a lifesaver. I feel like I am not a business person, but simple practice simplifies so many aspects of this.
ProsI love all of the things that the developers decided to incorporate in this platform. You can upload your business documents, any documents relevant to your client records and so much more. I have created questionnaires that are specific to my practice so that I can gather data upfront and this prevents me from missing out on money. I love the integration for scheduling appointments, telehealth and billing and invoicing. If you want to streamline your practice, this is for you.
ConsClients cannot pay partial balances in their client portal yet, those payments have to be taken in the office.

By SimplePractice on August 13, 2019
Amanda, thanks for your positive review. We're proud to give you the back office you need to run a professional practice. Please don't hesitate to reach out if there's any additional feedback you have. - Gillian from SimplePractice
August 7, 2019
Katie Z.
Marriage And Family Therapist
April 13, 2018

“AWESOME investment for my private practice!”

Pros I like the Ehr features, how everything is available on my phone or computer. When I worked at an agency, I used Greenway, another electronic system, so this is simply so perfect for my private practice needs - organization, client info, convenience, customizable email templates/forms, all electronic paperwork. I appreciate the Simple Practice team behind the software! When I had an issue, we scheduled screen sharing to work through it and the team is very prompt with email replies. I love that everything is EASY and convenient, so I don't need any paperwork. I also like how stripe is connected and recurrent auto pay is an option. I am private pay, so it's easy to edit the cost of a client's session depending if they are on a sliding scale. Also, there is a "book online" feature, so I have added this to my website and clients are using it! One of my client's mom's loves booking sessions at 11pm and planning for the week ahead, so the feedback is super positive. Love it!
ConsThe app and the safari browse are different. Some things aren't in the app, so I always just keep the browser open. One thing I'd like to improve: there is only room for one person's phone number to get the automated text and voicemail reminders. I see kids and some teens, so I'd like mom, dad, and teen client to each get a text and voicemail reminder about the appointment. It would be great to have two three people's phone numbers to have auto texting reminders sent to them.

By SimplePractice on April 16, 2018
Katie, thank you so much for the kind words - we're glad to hear that SimplePractice is making your life as a private practitioner easy. You'll be happy to hear that improvements to our mobile app functionality, and improvements to management of groups and families in the Client Portal, are both at the top of our Product Roadmap. You can keep up with our Roadmap here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap We're proud to support the transformative work that you do! - Gillian at SimplePractice
April 13, 2018
Jesse B.
LAC

“Review”

OverallI like the layout and ease of use for billing and clinical stuff. The overall is good and have already recommended to others just today.
ProsIt was easy to get started. It was pretty user friendly. The telehealth option is awesome and easy to use. Being able to edit templates is great. Scheduling has diagnosis (wrong language for my industry) CPS codes and note attached all in one place which is convenient.
ConsIt does not have an option to write one group note for all clients in that group with an option to edit all in one place and then sign and send to each individual chart. Wrong language on substance use diagnosis code wording. It is whatever substance use then disorder mild moderate or severe. Example F10.20 alcohol use disorder severe. Not alcohol dependence. The treatment planner was not editable.

By SimplePractice on September 4, 2019
Jesse, thank you for your comprehensive review. SimplePractice uses the language and descriptions for diagnosis codes according to the ICD-10. If you ever have questions about SimplePractice, please don't hesitate to reach out to our Success team - we're here to help. Thanks for recommending SimplePractice to your colleagues! - Gillian from SimplePractice
Nidhi T.
June 30, 2019

“Solid software for private practice ”

OverallI've enjoyed my experience and I look forward to continuing to use Simple Practice in my solo practice.
ProsI enjoyed being able to customize my client portal documents and have a completely paperless system. The billing features are so helpful for tracking revenue, and I like being able to see the insights and trends in my business. I love the credit card option, and the autobill option allows me to easily enforce my rates and policies.
ConsIt can be a bit challenging initially navigating through how to use the EHR. It took me a while to figure out how to access the settings, as it's not a separate button. The notes are less user friendly than in Therapy Notes, where I feel there are lots of drop down menus to quickly input information, and there is the option to autofill and make adjustments if the mental status exam results are WNL. I also wish that if you click on a future date to schedule an appointment, that the appointment information would auto populate to that date. There have been times I've scheduled a future session, and I couldn't find the appointment because it showed up on the present date instead of the future date.

By SimplePractice on July 2, 2019
Nidhi, thanks for your thoughtful feedback - we're always listening to our customers to learn what we could improve, so thank you for your candor. We're glad you decided to switch to SimplePractice - welcome to our Community. - Gillian from SimplePractice
June 30, 2019
Carolyn T.
Integrative Mental Health Specialist
September 10, 2019

“Glad I made the switch:)”

ProsI'm a new Simple Practice user, but not new to using electronic health records for my private practice. I made the decision to switch to Simple Practice from my previous software to allow me to access my records from any device. I now have a virtual presence for the first time in my work, so having this type of access, in a HIPAA compliant format, is crucial. I love how user-friendly the software is and found I was able to migrate all the data from my previous software in a relatively short amount of time. My clients have provided positive feedback about getting automated appointment reminders, automated billing / payment options, and a dedicated client portal. I look forward to using the billing functionality in the near future.
ConsI'm new to cloud-based software so I am concerned about all of my practice information existing in the cloud only. There was no clear information in the portal for how to go about backing up data to your own hard drive but I was able to contact support and learn the necessary steps to complete a backup through a Data Export function. Also, insurance companies who require electronic billing (such as Medicare) require an account ID to be assigned to the client record. Simple Practice software does not automatically do this (my other software did) and therefore the practitioner has to manually create a system and assign one and then attach it as sticky note in the client record.

By SimplePractice on September 11, 2019
Carolyn, we're glad you made the switch to SimplePractice too. Thanks for your comprehensive review - it's wonderful to see that you'd recommend SimplePractice to a colleague. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Will L.
September 28, 2018

“Overall Helpful Software), as well as ”

OverallI'm surprised to love SimplePractice so much! It's been a really great way to take control of and streamline multiple facets of my practice.
ProsI switched from paper files to SimplePractice, and as someone who doesn't always enjoy the tech version of things, I'm a surprised fan of SimplePractice. I enjoy the ease of scheduling and the 2-way sync with my Google Calendar, the paperless intake process (which I finally started using a few months in and wish I had been using it from the beginning), and being able to track my income and completed notes. Customer service has also been very friendly thus far.
ConsThere are very limited demographic questions for clients in the intake process, which are unfortunately not editable by the clinician. I have the option to create own intake paperwork, but have to inform clients to ignore the demographic section and just fill out the more affirming open-ended questions in my intake form. Credit card integration through Stripe is great in theory, but I have found much cheaper rates (with stored cards and HIPAA compliance) through Ivy Pay. I also wish that the "Insights" section showed estimated income for all upcoming months with scheduled appointments, not just the current month. It's an incredibly helpful feature and would be great to use to plan our farther ahead.

By SimplePractice on October 30, 2018
Hi Will, we're so glad to hear that you love SimplePractice and find it to be helpful. We're glad that the paperless intake process is saving you time. Thanks for your candor - we're always looking for ways to improve SimplePractice. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice
September 28, 2018
Melissa K.
December 4, 2014

“Life changing, no exaggeration!”

OverallThere are many programs out there designed to help keep therapists organized, but this is hands down the best one. For years I have actually avoided buying any of the similar products, because after doing a trial, I found it just easier to use my own system. Other products to me have seemed clunky, confusing, or outdated. As my practice grows, however, keeping track of things on my own had really become too cumbersome. So thank goodness for Simple Practice, it came into my life at just the right moment! It is streamlined, intuitive, and user-friendly. Whenever I have encountered a question, there are quick and easy ways to get the question answered. The site includes a whole blog that has thoughtful answers, written in plain-language. Or if you have a question you can easily email and a person will get right back to you with an answer. I imagine you can also call, though I haven't needed to do that since everything has gone really smoothly! Here are the things I really like: -Clients like it. They like the text or email reminder messages and they like the fact that I can store their credit card info, so no more forgetting co-pays of having to fumble with the wallet or the credit card reader. I just bill all my co-pays at the end of the day, and I'm all set. It's also saved time and money by not having to chase people for missed co-pays. -Easy to enter new patient info, or use the client portal so the patient's can self-enter basic data, and sign forms ahead of time -Helps me remember which notes are done or not -Keeps track of my schedule with the calendar feature that is synced up with the also super user-friendly Simple Practice app -I can scan in hand-written notes right into the patient's chart so everything is paperless I honestly can't think of any negatives or ways they could improve this product. I haven't started billing insurance companies via Simple Practice yet, so I can't speak to that process. It unfortunately takes awhile for Simple Practice to link with insurance, so if they could speed that up, it would be great, I'm just not sure there is much they can do about that since it's partially up to the insurance company. Other than that, I would summarize by saying that Simple Practice is saving me time, money and I feel much less stressed because I know everything is organized.

By SimplePractice on December 4, 2014
Wow! Thanks so much for that thorough and enthusiastic review!!!! We're so glad to have you as part of our community and are looking forward to being your partner for a long time. We're working hard to always improve SimplePractice and hope you let us know what we can do to make our product better and better. Thanks again, Howard
December 4, 2014
Alla S.
psychologist
June 27, 2019

“getting started”

OverallSo far, so good. I just started in private practice and there's a lot to do and learn. When I couldn't figure something out, I was able to get instantaneous support via live chat and very quickly over email.
ProsIt's easy to play around and learn how the software works, you can always delete and start over, which is a helpful way of learning for me. I also found the mobile app very easy to use so I can do my session notes from anywhere very quickly.
ConsIf you update something billing related for a client from a session on the calendar, it doesn't apply to previous sessions, just the ones going forward.

By SimplePractice on July 9, 2019
Alla, thanks for your positive review and helpful feedback. Welcome to SimplePractice - we're glad you chose us as your all-in-one practice management solution. - Gillian from SimplePractice
June 27, 2019
Melissa L.
psychologist
June 13, 2019

“Great comprehensive software”

ProsI was looking for an EHR that condensed everything in terms of documentation, client paperwork/consents, initial assessments, payments and billing - this meets all of those needs in one place.
ConsI would have liked there to be a more comprehensive tutorial that I was automatically enrolled in that showed me not only how to set it up for my own usage, but how to it works on the client end as well.

By SimplePractice on June 14, 2019
Melissa, thanks for your positive review. It's great that SimplePractice is all you need in one place. We appreciate your feedback, and are always working on making SimplePractice even easier to use. Thanks for trying out SimplePractice. - Gillian from SimplePractice
June 13, 2019
Dani M.
Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker
October 15, 2014

“Simple Practice Simplified My Practice”

Overall"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein I have used and tested a variety of EHRs and appreciate the simplicity of Simple Practice. There are no unnecessary frills and it serves its documentation and practice management purposes well. The user interface is clean, visually appealing, and easy to navigate. Features such as automated client appointment reminders, daily schedule emails, and reminders about incomplete documents and client balances are incredibly helpful...especially for a solo practitioner without costly administrative staff. The company appears to be highly responsive to user suggestions and regularly adds new features. The dashboard reports give me real time access to key business intelligence such as monthly income comparisons and projected income for the next month based on scheduled appointments. It's rare to find an EHR that offers all of these features at an affordable price. Clinicians and organizations usually end up cobbling together non-integrated solutions that just don't play well together in the end. Simple Practice simply works. Perhaps most importantly, the price is fair. There are no exorbitant setup fees. By purchasing a software as a service (SaaS) subscription, you're not paying for servers or clunky software that's outdated by the time you install it. You don't need an IT person to install, maintain, debug, or upgrade anything. If you change your mind, you're free to cancel your monthly subscription without incurring contract penalties. It is highly intuitive so you can skip the usual wordy product documentation, confusing webinars, or expensive onsite trainings. The trial period is more than adequate to become familiar and determine if it's right for you. If you are looking for a highly customizable system, this is not likely the best solution for you. With ongoing development, this might become less of an issue. You are currently limited to pre-defined templates and forms. In our heavily litigious landscape, we tend to go overboard on documentation or end up collecting data because we can. In some ways, I think Simple Practice is saving us from ourselves by keeping it "as simple as possible, but not simpler." If you're in the market for a web-based EHR that's accessible from anywhere, affordable, and easy to use, I recommend exploring Simple Practice.

By SimplePractice on October 15, 2014
Wow! Thanks for the amazing review Dani. We are so happy to know that our product is so helpful to you. We are working hard to keep improving SimplePractice and hope you will let us know if you have any ideas or suggestions for us. Thanks again, Howard
October 15, 2014
Pamala D.
June 10, 2019

“My Simple Practice Review”

OverallMy experience is mixed (but I realize change can be challenging, so I am hopeful that once I have practiced and become functional with Simple Practice, my experience will become more positive. I do wish there was "live" help.
Pros I can edit/use my own forms (intake or progress notes), the Wiley treatment planner for use (and free) and they do not charge for reminders. The Client Portal is very functional (can send documents etc) and I appreciate the client messaging capability, and the time I will save when I get a new client, by SP automatically sending the intake form, consent forms etc.
ConsI do not like that customer service is not live, or offer "chat." While once I am up and running, I will probably not need any help, but I am currently having to wait to obtain an answer to a VERY IMPORTANT question...i.e. "how do I upload my completed switch template since I had deleted the Johnny Appleseed client before I realized how vital that profile was to my getting started! That is very frustrating. I find that on some forms, I have to manually enter information where a drop down window would suffice. I find that the calendar is a little bit too basic (while this may just be beginner unfamiliarity) compared to Therapy Notes, making an appt in SP is a bit more clunky. I wish that while creating a new form, there was a way to "save" and "edit" a form at a later time. I wish I could use Square instead of Stripe for credit/debit card services (less expensive) While SP has a question/answer customer support, it seems very rarely do my questions have answers to them, which is very frustrating.

By SimplePractice on June 14, 2019
Pamala, thanks so much for your review. We're glad you chose SimplePractice. We do have a live support feature - you can chat with a Product or Insurance Specialist from 7am to 6pm M-F. Let me know if you have any additional questions about this, or anything else SimplePractice. I'm here to help. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Lydia M.
Chiropractor

“Great so far! ”

OverallOverall, I really have enjoyed the ease of using SimplePractice. I am a new grad, so I was looking to spend less, but know that I was getting everything I needed to run a smooth practice!
ProsThe product is relatively easy to use! It includes everything needed to run my practice for a low price. Other software programs required their premium software in order to print claim forms or super bills, so I am thrilled that this is included in the low price. It's great for my practice so far!
ConsI really would like for a family to share portal system or be able to create a unique user name under the same email. I see many husbands, wives, and children who all use the same email, but since the email can only be used for one patient, I have to give the rest of the family members paper forms to fill out. It would be perfect if they could use the same email, but create unique usernames for login. It would also be great to have an iPad app that can be used for note taking and such. The app is only user friendly on iPhones now.

By SimplePractice on September 11, 2019
Lydia, we're happy to hear that Mundy Chiropractic is running smoothly on SimplePractice. We're actively working on updates to SimplePractice and the Client Portal to allow multiple family members access to a single portal for different functions - looking forward to releasing updates to SimplePractice soon. Thank you for your positive review! - Gillian from SimplePractice
Ashleigh F.
Licensed Professional Counselor/Owner
January 29, 2019

“More options than my previous EMR.”

OverallI am saving time and money with Simple Practice so far from my previous EMR system, which of course is huge with you run your own practice - big or small. I also like their referral program, and step-by-step instruction on how to get started with Simple Practice.
ProsI love the ability to create my own online forms for clients to fill out and sign so I'm not wasting paper and saving time. I also love that there is an app associated with the account for me to easily and securely message clients, create appointments, and look up information in their accounts. I also love that I can bill insurance, run credit cards and do pretty much everything I need to from this app/program.
ConsWhen entering diagnoses, it does not let you create rule outs, or add specifiers to diagnoses. I'm hoping this is something that will change soon. Additionally, I understand an upgrade is being added so that parents who are divorced/separated can have their own access to the client (minor's) account without having to create a duplicate of the client or making more work for the therapist. Other minor things would be nice, such as being able to adding multiple session notes to one session without having to scan and upload it in; as well as customizing no-show fees, and being able to add pictures through the app that can be attached to individual sessions.

By SimplePractice on February 1, 2019
Ashleigh, thanks so much for your positive review. We're glad to hear that you appreciate SimplePractice's features for running Heal, Play, Love more effectively. You can always keep an eye on what's next for SimplePractice on our Product Roadmap here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap - Gillian from SimplePractice
January 29, 2019
Lalo R.
September 26, 2019

“Simple Practice is what I've been missing”

ProsI'm still very new to SP but, first and foremost I so appreciate the integrated digital form! Having not had that with my last EHR, it is such a relief to not have to deal with stacks of paperwork that need to be scanned. I also appreciate that text appointment reminders are included in the monthly fee as well as the ability for clients to easily schedule a consultation appointment from my website.
ConsNothing beats having live customer support easily and quickly accessible so it's an adjustment not having that feature with SP. I'm also not a fan of the language, "let's manage expectations for your call". Makes me feel like I'm going to need to rush and not take up too much of the customer service rep's time. That being said, the live chats have actually been helpful and have gone smoothly.
September 26, 2019
Erica D.
LMSW
September 19, 2019

“True to the name, my practice is simplified!”

OverallI like the ease of signing in and having all of my client information at my fingertips on a secure site. Everything is stored into one place and I can send new clients their intake paperwork within minutes- something that used to take time to print individually. It has been very helpful for my growing business!
ProsQuick and response customer service, ease of sending clients paperwork and appointment reminders, saves time, user friendly, templates are customizable.
ConsThe location of the forms and documents.

By SimplePractice on October 8, 2019
Erica, thank you for your positive review! We're proud to support the transformative work of Healing Path Wellness. Welcome to our Community - thank you for choosing SimplePractice. - Gillian from SimplePractice
September 19, 2019
Carolyn V.
Clinical Psychologist
August 27, 2019

“Great option for solo practice”

ProsI love that the software is intuitive, and I appreciate the tutorials, classes, and calls with SP reps as new practices are getting started.
ConsAlthough I've used SP for years as an employee of a practice, I'm still learning the administrative end of things as a new solo practice. I can't really speak to specific dislikes yet since the software seems highly customizable.

By SimplePractice on September 4, 2019
Carolyn, thanks for your positive review. It's great to see that you were able to connect with our Success team for a smooth transition to SimplePractice. Welcome to our Community. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Cheryl C.
Owner - LMHC
July 22, 2019

“So happy I switched!”

OverallEasy to use. There is a video for just about everything. So, far I haven't come across anything that bothers me. I made the switch within 10 days of "trying"
ProsEasy-to-do notes. Reminders. Built-in tx planning. Client portal.
ConsThe layout of the clients, and I haven't explored the billing yet, but once I do I might have more feedback. I'm using my cash rates as default which is different from my contracted rates, so I am interested to see what happens with the difference. I also have not yet used the reports function which is something I use all the time in my old EHR.

By SimplePractice on July 24, 2019
Cheryl, thanks for your glowing review! We're glad you switched to SimplePractice - welcome to our Community. - Gillian from SimplePractice
July 22, 2019
Morgan T.
Therapist and Founder
January 28, 2019

“Simple and Intuitive to Use Compared to Other Options Out There”

OverallSimplePractice has overall been very easy to use and has made my practice very efficient. It does take a little investment of time to learn and get used to and I am still on the learning curve but overall I find it really intuitive and easy to use. I also really like the look and feel of the interface. It feels clean and professional.
ProsI found SimplePractice to be far easier and more intuitive to use than some of the other options out there (TherapyNotes and TheraNest were two others that I tried and did not like so much). I also like that SimplePractice uses Stripe to process payments as it made accepting payments streamlined and easy--I do not have to sign up for a third party payment processor and pay an additional monthly fee like you do with some of the other options out there.
ConsI still have issues with getting my SimplePractice calendar to show up on my android device. Though it is synced with my Google Calendar for some reason I Cannot get this to translate over to my mobile device. This really bothers me as I don't like that I have to check two calendars when I am trying to quickly check my availability. (I realize this may be due to something I am overlooking on my part, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet.)

By SimplePractice on February 1, 2019
Hi Morgan, Thanks for your through review of our platform. Glad to hear that you're finding SimplePractice to be intuitive. If you need more help troubleshooting your Google calendar sync, feel free to write into us so we can work with you. - Natasha from SimplePractice
January 28, 2019
Dara H.
January 11, 2019

“Just the EHR I've been looking for”

ProsI've put off using an EHR far too long, fearing that it would be too difficult to change the way I had already been doing things for over ten years in my practice. I gave the free trial a go, and was pleasantly surprised by how intuitive it was to use. I am excited to now have the ease of sending paperwork to clients electronically, as well as the benefit on the environment from all of the trees I am saving by doing so. I also needed to find a HIPPA compliant teletherapy option and found Simple Practice's portal very easy to use, as have my clients.
ConsI work with many persons who are gender questioning, transgender, and nonbinary. There is a lot of language in the template paperwork that I needed to change so as to help them feel seen and included. I think in one part of the form, which cannot be changed, are gender options that are so limiting that I made specific mention of it in my greetings message to the client, so they know that this is not an oversight on my part but is on the part of the creators of the software. I've had colleagues mention that they have been trying for years to get Simple Practice to change this and sadly we have yet to see this inclusive step being taken.

By SimplePractice on January 25, 2019
Dara, we¿re proud to support the Bohemian Sanctuary, and glad that SimplePractice is the solution you¿ve been looking for. Thanks for your feedback regarding the gender options on our Demographic Form. Currently, these are limited to what insurances will accept to ensure that you get paid. However, we¿re always working on making SimplePractice even better for all of the diverse practices that leverage our platform. - Gillian from SimplePractice
January 11, 2019
Ellen G.
August 31, 2018

“New to SimplePractice; Very pleased and would highly recommend”

OverallMy experience has been exceptional and I will recommend this software hands-down to anyone who is starting their own practice!
ProsSimplePractice has named its business well. I truly feel that it has made my journey as a new private practice owner so simple. I have appreciated the ease of sending clients my paperwork through the client portal feature. I also love the integration of Stripe for credit card processing; with AutoPay I don't have to lift a finger to get paid each evening. Superbills, invoices, and statements are very easy to generate on the spot for clients. The scheduling component also has a clean look. I also really like the automated text reminders to clients. In my first month of business, I've zero no-shows or late cancels. In what could have been a very stressful transition to becoming a new private practice owner, SimplePractice truly eased my mind.
ConsIn the future I would like a better option for scheduling family counseling for siblings. Right now the software has great features for individual and couples sessions, but not to add family members (at the moment I have to treat family members like a couple and make sure my coding is accurate on their statements). Additionally, creating some of my own intake forms took a while with the way that is featured in the software but I do appreciate that I have the ability to even create my own forms.

By SimplePractice on October 29, 2018
Ellen, we're so pleased to hear that you find SimplePractice to be a good fit for your practice. Congratulations on a full month without no-shows or late cancels! We're working hard on introducing new features that will make it easier for you to schedule groups and families, and features that will make working with couples and groups even easier. Thanks for choosing SimplePractice - we're glad to have you as part of our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice
August 31, 2018
Brandon S.
Private Practitioner
July 16, 2018

“There's a bit of a learning curve, but if you dedicate the time it's worth it.”

OverallEHR for private practice
ProsEverything you need to run a practice is available and very well done. Once you learn your way around it becomes easier to navigate. There are many different options and lots of information in the help section if you need help. It's streamlined for complete (100%) EHR functionality. Smooth integrations for payment. I love the HIPAA compliant messaging in the patient portal and the calendar scheduling options for patients to see your schedule and choose a time without needing to call the office for an appointment. The awesome feature of video sessions without the need to use another company or software.
ConsI find the navigational structure very awkward and not user friendly. It's kind of frustrating to figure out where things are because things aren't in a logical order. For better ease of use I would recommend that everything is clearly delineated into one menu structure rather than submenus and tab menus. For example: one could easily assume that client documents could be found in the left "Documents" menu link, but unfortunately that link is only for practitioner documents (uploading a copy of license, etc.). To find client documents you have to remember that you need to click "My Account" in the upper right corner, then the "Settings" submenu, then on the left side the "Client Portal" and then find the tab menu "Shared Documents and Files". It just a very strange link menu system.

By SimplePractice on July 17, 2018
Dr. Santan, thank you so much for your review - we're glad to hear that SimplePractice contains everything that you need to run your practice, and we appreciate your thoughtful feedback on how to make SimplePractice even better. It's great to hear that you love our new Telehealth feature as well. Thank you for doing the work that you do, and for choosing SimplePractice! - Gillian from SimplePractice
July 16, 2018
Jenna F.
Counselor
1-10 employees
July 7, 2016

“Fantastic! Totally worth every penny”

OverallMy experience has been very positive as this software is catered to meet the needs of my private practice as a counselor. It addresses many of the components of running a practice that therapists find daunting. Just for the sheer support in these areas, this software system is worth it.
ProsThe customer support / help support is a clear stand out. No need to feel intimidated about learning because they offer layers of support- classes, video webinars, articles, daily q & a and I suppose I could call- haven't had the need. Another stand out for me is how it is designed with a private practice therapist in mind, which is fantastic not to have a lot of 'guess work' or having to adjust something else to work for me. Their professionalism in upholding our ethical and legal standards puts me at ease and would be reason alone to give simple practice a look. Also...NO PAPER! That's just fantastic.
ConsThere is a learning curve (depending on your comfort level with technology, it could be larger than others). That's the biggest con. Fortunately there is a one month free trial (they don't even ask for your credit card information during that time) and during that month there are plenty of supports to help teach you the system and have time to practice with it. There are a few more minor adjustments that can't be edited because of the system, but no big deal at all. It's fantastic.
Recommendations to other buyersI'm super happy and feel that it's well worth the investment- financially and also the investment of time to learn the system. It will eventually reward you more time to focus on your practice and not so much of the scheduling/paper work. Plus it makes your practice instantly look so much more professional, current and the laws are written to lead us toward more cloud-based systems for keeping records.

By SimplePractice on July 15, 2016
So happy to hear this Jenna! We're really glad that SimplePractice works for you. We're here to make things simple!
July 7, 2016
Jean C.
Sole Practitioner
July 24, 2019

“Intuitive”

ProsThis software is so easy to navigate and figure out. You can easily undo any "mistake," so trying different selections is not scary. The tutorials are easy to follow and the support service emails are timely. I tried a different well-rated software, but it was too much for just one practitioner. The price on this software can't be beat. It would have cost me 3 times as much on other software. There is also a lot that comes with the price, unlike the others that have a basic low price and then nickel and dime you for each additional service.
ConsI haven't billed insurance with it yet, so I can't speak to that. Other than that, I am really pleased with what I've been using so far.

By SimplePractice on July 26, 2019
Jean, thanks for your glowing review. It's great to see that you're pleased with your experience with SimplePractice so far. - Gillian from SimplePractice
July 24, 2019
Sterling Z.
Psychologisy
June 28, 2019

“Overall a solid product, but needs to streamline some of the workflow”

OverallI like it over-all, and would recommend it, however I strongly suggest you do in-dept testing for your specific needs (not just a cursory check how notes and scheduling work).
ProsThe lay out is clean and easy to understand for many functions/processes. 30-day trial was very helpful. The face-to-face video support for on-boarding was top-notch. The phone app (while it needs work) is a great tool; uploading an image from your phone is a time-saver.
ConsMany of the functions/processes are buried in the hierarchy, or feel tack-on. The architecture has significant limitations for a single-person practitioner who has multiple sources of income--in part because notes and payment are tied to the schedule timeline. The auto-spell over-rides most (mental health care) industry accepted abbreviations. APP: The app has the feature you mostly need, but it's easy to get lost navigating in the schedule time line (because the current date is not marked for your relative position).

By SimplePractice on July 2, 2019
Sterling, thanks for your comprehensive review. Autocorrect isn't a native feature of SimplePractice - this is part of your browser, and can be toggled on and off. If you'd ever like assistance in using SimplePractice for your specific practice needs, don't hesitate to reach out to our Success team through the red Help bubble so our team can assist. We're here to help. - Gillian from SimplePractice
June 28, 2019
Brooke I.
Crisis Worker
Hospital & Health Care, Self-employed
October 15, 2018

“Simple Practice is simple to use, a wonderful way to go paperless from the beginning”

OverallSee above
ProsI recently opened my private practice, and decided that right from the beginning, I would like to have a paperless system for record keeping. Simple Practice came highly recommended from several trusted sources, so I decided to give it a try. I really appreciate that they offer a 30 day free trial, which I just completed (and upgraded to a paid subscription). I am not an organized paperwork person by nature, and I appreciate that Simple Practice keeps all my clients records safely stored in a secure location, where I can access it anytime from anywhere. The client portal is amazing, and helps legitimize my business to clients, as they are able to complete paperwork easily through the portal before our intake appointment. This also saves valuable time during that first appointment, so we don't have to waste time filling out forms and doing busy work, and we are able to jump right in to the issues that have brought them into therapy. I know my clients appreciate this, especially as they are self paid. I love that my calendar is emailed to me each day, I get reminders when progress notes need to be entered, invoicing sessions is a breeze, and sending clients invoices is as easy as the click of a button. Being able to store credit card information, and process payments through Stripe is a great feature that has helped me spend my time doing less paperwork and billing and be able to focus more on my clients and the clinical interventions needed when they come to see me.
ConsI am still learning to navigate the software. There are so many different forms, and so many different sections, sometimes I cannot find things that I know I saw a few days ago. I think this will just take some time for me to get more familiar with, but this has been the most difficult part of the software for me to adjust to.

By SimplePractice on November 2, 2018
Hi Brooke, thanks so much for your review. We're glad SimplePractice is helping you stay organized and get paid! Welcome to our community - we're proud to support the work that you do. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Pamela H.
LCSW
August 23, 2018

“Simple Practice is aptly named! ”

OverallOverall, I am impressed and very satisfied with our Simple Practice subscription!
ProsWe have moved from an accounting software, Google Calendar and a person to do the medical billing with Simple Practice. I love the relative ease of the software and the fact that I can have everything in one place. There is great support and documentation for self-help. We are a practice with only one practitioner but we are growing in leaps and bounds! Simple Practice is making our growth so much easier!
ConsThere are some small issues that I have experienced. The biggest issue was the sight being down one morning and not being able to access the calendar or any of our client information. We are still using Google Calendar as well since we are less than a month in for our transition so I was able to see the information. There was no way to contact Simple Practice by phone and the entire site was down. I had no way of knowing how long the downtime would be. I would have liked to have been able to get an update since we were seeing clients. The only other issues are minor conveniences. Color coding on the calendar for different types of clients would be helpful. A full screen version of the calendar rather than the nested calendar would be nice. Customized reports would also be helpful. I would also love a support option that allowed for East Coast offices when we open.

By SimplePractice on August 31, 2018
Pamela, we're so glad that you chose SimplePractice as your all-in-one practice management solution! Thanks for your detailed review and for your feedback on our service. We're proud of our 99.99% uptime, and grateful for your patience during a brief interruption in service recently. We're continually working to make SimplePractice even better, with feedback from members of our amazing community! Thank you for choosing us. - Gillian from SimplePractice
August 23, 2018
Joeleen W.
LICSW
Individual & Family Services, Self-employed
July 24, 2018

“I wish I didnt wait so long before giving simple practice a try. ”

OverallMaking my private practice streamline and saving me time and energy so I can use that energy elsewhere.
ProsSimple practice makes form creation so user-friendly, even myself who isn't very tech savvy figured it out. The more I use simple practice the more I uncover quick easy ways to get my needs met. When I am unable to figure something out the help team is so quick and responsive and points me in the right direction so I don't have to spend all of my time searching for the answers. The support I receive from simple practice has been the best experience and I am so thankful to have them. When you are first learning the process they have numerous videos and scheduled classes to get you started which are incredibly helpful. I have taken a look at other EHR systems and they were confusing and were not geared towards therapists, simple practice gave me all the forms necessary for my practice and then i tailored them to fit my individual practice needs.
ConsThere are a few parts of simple practice that cannot be customized that I want to customize, although they are constantly making changes based off of clinicians feedback so this isn't a huge concern of mine.

By SimplePractice on July 25, 2018
Joeleen, we wish you hadn't waited so long either, but now we're finally together! It's great to hear that SimplePractice is user-friendly for you even though you don't consider yourself tech savvy. We work hard to make sure SimplePractice is the complete platform for everything your private practice needs, and it sounds like you're happy with what we've done so far. We're always working to improve - you can see what's next for SimplePractice on our Product Roadmap here: https://support.simplepractice.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005264123-SimplePractice-Product-Roadmap Thank you for choosing SimplePractice - we're proud to support the work that you do! - Gillian from SimplePractice
Erin C.
Licensed Psychologist
September 25, 2019

“Perfect for my practice”

OverallOverall, I am very happy with SimplePractice. It makes so many aspects of my workflow streamlined and easy, and it's hard to imagine operating my practice without this software.
ProsI love that I can do everything I need to do for my sole-practitioner private practice. I use SP for my scheduling, note-writing, billing, credit card processing, and client records. Electronic intake forms were easy to create and customize, and I was able to easily create alternate forms for special populations. I've been pleased and impressed with customer service and their responsiveness to community concerns, such as changing how they ask about sex and gender on the standard demographic form.
ConsThere are a few quirks here and there, such as difficulty editing questions in my intake form. I can edit them, but the cursor goes to the end when I try to type in the middle of an existing question, so the only way I've found to edit is to delete from the end and retype. I run into bugs like this on occasion, but none of them have gotten in the way of my functionality. I also don't like that if you enable the option to have clients input credit card information when they complete online paperwork, it makes this information mandatory. I'd love there to be an option where I can allow my clients to input a credit card if they choose to pay in this way, but allows this to skip it, as well. (And I realize that this isn't a problem for many people, as many therapists prefer to require clients to have a credit card on file.)
September 25, 2019
Melissa C.
August 6, 2019

“Perfect for my small private practice”

ProsThis software makes running my practice day to day, well, simple! I have enjoyed the features and like the ease at which I can create my own forms, enter notes and make charges. It has save me so much time an energy once I got it all set up. I also love the client portal and how easy it is for clients to schedule appointments
ConsI can't seem to figure out how to send clients forms again - some of my clients could find the link to the forms I sent them and I tried sending the same form again and it would not let me. I'm sure it is an easy fix, I am just not a tech person!

By SimplePractice on August 13, 2019
Melissa, thanks so much for your positive review. You can easily resend forms with clients via the Share button. If the client hasn't been filled out yet, the client can access the form in the Documents section of the Client Portal. We're glad you chose SimplePractice to manage Coats Counseling. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Laia J.
Bilingual Therapist
June 10, 2019

“A simple way to conduct your practice”

OverallI am fine using Simple Practice for now. I have my own part time private practice and it is easy to use and to communicate with clients. I can see though, if you have a team of therapists and need to work with many policies and documentation requirements (for instance with Medicaid clients), this software would be limited.
ProsIt is easy to use, many templates to start from, a secure patient portal to share documents, and easy way to pay with credit cards so no need to handle payments in the office.
ConsThe information on the client's profile (medical and other for Medicaid clients) is limited. Documents in client's chart and notes don't "speak" to each other (for instance, a signed treatment plan needs to be manually uploaded and then electronically included in the "notes" so it can be accessible). Might also be nice to have an option to sign treatment plans electronically and have more than one ROI option to be sent to client. So in general, documentation besides of progress notes is limited as well as the possibility to format/edit documents to via the client's portal.

By SimplePractice on June 14, 2019
Laia, thanks so much for your review. We appreciate your thoughtful feedback. - Gillian from SimplePractice
Jonah L.
Psychologist/Owner

“Good product”

OverallOverall, I find Simple Practice to be a time saving, professional and secure option to run a small private practice. I was happy to discover that you could get your consent forms signed through the client portal as this helped transition my practice to a completely paperless operation. It's also really cool how I can upload documents and share them securely with clients. These were additional benefits, I didn't realize when I signed up.
ProsSimple Practice has a nice system for getting your consent forms signed, writing notes, writing treatment plans and sending client reminders. It also offers a secure online portal for clients to communicate with you between sessions. I find that it takes a bit of practice to understand how to do what you want to do, but once you've figured it out, everything works really well. One thing I really love about Simple Practice is how well it works on my phone. I've had alternative products in the past that had limited app compatibility so you always have to use a computer to modify anything. It's really nice that I can schedule people with just my phone.
ConsSome aspects of the user experience could be improved. At times, I have to poke around a lot to figure out how to get something done. I've specifically gotten confused when trying to ensure clients were getting reminders, creating and modifying forms, and dealing with entering payments. I think the truth is that each of those things could be made more user-friendly, but it's also true that when compared to other systems, it's probably a bit less confusing than most.

By SimplePractice on November 2, 2018
Jonah, thanks so much for your thoughtful and thorough review. We're glad that you love our mobile app for taking your practice on the go, and that you find SimplePractice saves you time. Welcome to our community. - Gillian from SimplePractice