Bloomerang Ratings

Overall

About Bloomerang

We have pooled together the latest in best practices for donor engagement and retention to create a simple, cloud-based donor management solution that helps nonprofits decrease donor attrition and increase revenue. Plugging in the latest technologies and delivering them with a clean, modern interface, Bloomerang will be the first donor database you'll actually love to use! Learn more about Bloomerang

Stephanie F.
Non-Profit Organization Management, 501-1000 employees
September 27, 2019

“Best Database for no-profit cultivation”

OverallTop notch from software, to pricing, to customer service. I've never seen a company so in tune to what their user wants and needs.
ProsEVERYTHING!! I cannot say enough good about this product. The customer service is out of this world and I can ask a question via chat and have an answer immediately. THey are constantly gathering ideas for upgrades from users and rolling them out. It's extremely easy to use, compared to our old Raiser's Edge Software. The price is less than any other product we researched and they are always following up to ensure our happiness. The software caters to prospect cultivation and offers tons of preloaded reports or that. The ease of creating a report will leave you speechless.
ConsI miss my batch feature, but they are working on creating that and should release it in the future. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues. I'm constantly referring and recommending this product and they reward you with each referral.
September 27, 2019
Kristina B.
Manager of Annual Giving
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
July 11, 2019

“Great platform”

OverallWe are a small shop and need to be able to minimize the time we spend managing the data side of the house so that we can be out meeting with our donors and focusing on donor acquisition. I feel like Bloomerang allows us to manage our data in a user friendly, functional way so that we can focus our time on raising money. My background is major gifts and I have limited technical skills with database management, but Bloomerang is so user friendly that I am able to pull reports, produce lists, upload data, process gifts and acknowledge gifts with ease so that I can focus on utilizing the MOVES management aspects of the database to move our donors through our donor pipeline.
ProsI'm a development professional and my background is high level database work. In my new role I'm having to delve deeper into database management and I'm so happy we have Bloomerang. For the most part I can navigate and produce what I need on my own. However, when I get stuck the customer service of Bloomerang is beyond measure. They are always so friendly and kind, they listen to what I'm trying to do and understand my needs. They help walk me through how to do what I am trying to do, so I learn how to do it on my own moving forward. I honestly can't say enough about their customer support. They also have great (and very relevant) webinars.
ConsThe thing I struggle with the most is the usability of the letters and email functions. Formatting is tricky and there seems to be limitations to being able to move images around etc. It always ends up taking me longer to produce a letter or email than I anticipate because I have to play around with the formatting so much. This is the one part of the software that doesn't feel as user friendly.
July 11, 2019
Jeff F.
Development Manager
Music, 1-10 employees
July 4, 2019

“Fantastic software for the nonprofit fundraiser!”

ProsThe software is *very* easy to use. The pages load quickly. The search function is very efficient. The product is thoroughly and thoughtfully designed with the nonprofit fundraiser in mind to make most every situation easy to navigate (from, the basics to such things as tributes, or soft credits). Customizing it is very easy and intuitive. In addition to a computer, it may be used on a tablet (e.g. iPad), and a phone (e.g. iPhone) in most scenarios, although on a phone things can be a little awkward, but still usable. Importing a database of 800 accounts was seamless, after taking the time to prepare the import files properly (using the instructions provided on the web site). Coaching for this was available using email or live chat, although the instructions on the web site are so thorough, concise, and clear, that I did not need that. There is a vast library of instructional materials for assisting with most functions (articles and videos), and their customer service department is very easy to access and get clear instruction on things that need more in depth assistance. Regular instructional webinars are offered, which are very informative, and become videos within their vast instructional video library for any user's use.
ConsI use the product at odd times, and live customer support is not available late at night, or on weekends or holidays.
July 4, 2019
Bryan C.
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 employees
June 27, 2019

“Fantastic support, easy to set up, easy to teach”

ProsBloomerang is a breeze to navigate and search, with a detailed (but not overwhelming) summary view of each constituent, organization, and household in the database. When someone asks, "Who is this person?" I can tell them their top-line donation history, how we met, their capacity to give more, and who they're connected to, in less than a minute and with no effort at all. I can't overstate how intuitive and easy it is to get around, which is always helpful when training new users. After you build a few letter templates, gift processing and drafting acknowledgement letters become a joy. Integrations with Twitter, DonorSearch, and TrueGivers help us know more about our prospects and donors, and keep our address records up to date, automatically. But what I truly like most about Bloomerang is their support. They offer weekly training webinars not only about how to use the platform better, but also about topics in the larger nonprofit field. They offer a whole vault of resources for nonprofit organizations at any stage of growth. Every interaction I've had with their support staff -- by email, phone, live chat -- has been as thorough and helpful as I need it to be. Their "Features Portal" is always seeking feedback on what they could improve, and they're incredibly transparent about what they're working on next and when we might expect an update. In the year since we migrated to Bloomerang, it's been more than clear that they take this feedback loop seriously and listen well.
ConsBloomerang is easy to use -- at the cost of being fully customizable. I am not a programmer, so this exchange works out mostly great for me and my team, but I can imagine a programmer growing frustrated by the constraints in place to keep the platform easy to use. Take one example: you can add multiple addresses (email or physical) for each constituent, but there is no "note" field for each address. What if three email addresses go to the constituent's various assistants, and only one goes straight to the constituent? What if you mark an address "bad," but now need a place to say why? We've had to add custom fields (super easy to do, by the way) for "Additional Contact Information" so we can track these details, but those custom fields get buried at the bottom of a constituent's profile -- after the default profile information -- and there's no way to reorder the profile so that custom content appears more intuitively for how our organization uses the database. We've had to build in a few clumsy workarounds like this to solve problems that have a more straightforward solution, but those straightforward solutions then become suggestions in the features portal, to be solved if and when Bloomerang decides to. The reporting is a powerful tool, but the filter logic is unusual and has a few pitfalls ("raised" versus "revenue," for example) and a few hidden powers to know about ("has" and nested filters). Definitely take the time to dive deep into reporting resources.
June 27, 2019
Diane H.
Communications Manager
June 26, 2019

“Would recommend Bloomerang to ANYONE”

OverallWe are in the midst of transitioning some of our processes so that we can really thrive, but I've been surprised that -- thanks to Bloomerang -- we have been able to survive with two less fundraising staff. (You might not want to tell your boss that part!) If you are working in the typical non-profit where you wear so many hats you can't count them all, I strongly recommend that you look into Bloomerang to help you be efficient and effective...and actually enjoy working with your fundraising system.
ProsWe're coming up on a year of using Bloomerang, and if it's possible, I love Bloomerang more every day. First, it's easy to use, and there are so many awesome "live" links and features--they've really designed the software to make fundraising work easier! It was designed by fundraising experts so "thinks" like a Development Director, and it helps our small staff spend our very limited time well. Second, reporting and query are a million times easier and more straightforward than with our previous software. We actually trust the results now! And my last "most favorite" thing about Bloomerang is the dashboard. I didn't think I would use it so much, but the fact that it has so many "live" links has made us watch our progress week-to-week, month-to-month and now, for the whole year. Wait! I have to include the AWESOME people (sales, conversion, support, developers, even) who have been there every step of the way. They're super knowledgeable, great communicators, and always friendly and helpful.
ConsTo get the quality that I want when I change out our receipt text monthly, I have to work in the html code behind the letter merge function. That takes a little longer and is more tedious than I'd like, but even there, the system makes it much more simple than receipting in our previous software. I should also add that I wish I knew Bloomerang as well as I do now when we started conversion to it. We would have made better choices, but again, I can see how our conversion manager really worked behind the scenes to save us a lot of headaches!
December 4, 2018

“Bloomerang Review”

OverallI work with several clients that use Bloomerang for their database. This software is very easy to use and very user friendly. They are very responsive when you have questions or are having issues using their software. I would highly recommend this database software to any organization. I have worked with two other database soft wares and Boomerang has been the best so far.
ProsI switched to Bloomerang about two years ago and this has been a great change. Their customer service and help center is very easy to navigate and a representative responds to your questions within seconds. From step by step instructions on how to pull reports, trouble shooting problems, helping with deleting and importing new constituents, any issues or questions you have they have answer for you within minutes. I love their feature of online webinars that introduce you to their new features and updates. These webinars are extremely helpful and give me the knowledge and information I need to train new employees on this software. Another pro is that they are open to suggestions and improvements. I have sent in a few changes that would make pulling reports easier and updates that will help decrease entering duplicate constituents and they have taken this feedback and acted on it. Several of their new features address the recommendations I have sent them.
ConsWhat I like least about this software is that it does not auto populate the city and state when you put in the zip code for a constituents account. This is a feature that I was use to using with other software. This was a helpful feature to have that made data entry easier. I am also not in love with their acknowledgment generator because you can not edit individual letters once they are merged into the Bloomerang template. This is a feature I would like to see, because many of the clients I work with like to add a personal touch to each acknowledgment. We are not able to use Bloomerang for this process because to edit each individual letter we would have to generate acknowledgments one by one, not in bulk, which is very inconvenient and time consuming.
December 4, 2018
Annah Grace M.
Foundation Director
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees
October 26, 2018

“Bloomerang is an inutitive and user-friendly game changer!”

OverallMy organization was looking to make the switch from Excel spreadsheets to a true donor database. After I was immediately impressed with Bloomerang's focus on donor retention and all the ways it could help my organization. Bloomerang has been a game changer for my team by providing key metrics in donor engagement, donor capacity and donor retention. It has helped keep us organized and get our fundraising on track. Bloomerang has been a game-changer for us. Not only do we use it for donors, we use it for all givers (which include our volunteers and other community resources). We have found a time-saver in this product! I love that it functions as a CRM tool in addition to the fundraising components. I love that you can customize it to make it work for you, no matter your industry or the complexity of your organization, and still it's so user-friendly and intuitive! Not to mention, the incredible commitment to education! The free webinars and information are extremely on point and helpful. We are happy to highly recommend Bloomerang any time!
Pros I love the donor-centered nature of Bloomerang and how it focuses on donor engagement. It is customizable, easy-to-use and super intuitive. I am able to easily egment communication to donors and reach them with specific messaging they need to hear. I also love that Bloomerang is constantly improving and has great support. I sincerely appreciate Bloomerang's knowledgeable support staff and their willingness to take customer feedback seriously. The product team continually makes updates and improvements to Bloomerang based on our suggestions.
ConsIt doesn't yet interface with a mass texting or text-to-give software, but I have no doubt that it probably will soon. It is ALWAYS improving!
October 26, 2018
Nic M.
Founder and Principal
Education Management, 201-500 employees
October 23, 2018

“For organizations small and large, Bloomerang is good fit.”

OverallOur organization moved from Raiser's Edge to Bloomerang just over a year ago. If you are familiar with Raiser's Edge, you likely understand that this is a massive transition to undertake both technologically and fundamentally--but I'm glad we did. We moved away from Raiser's Edge because we needed software that was powerful yet highly intuitive and didn't ship with a price tag that is difficult to justify. A year later, all of my team members are comfortable using the CRM and do so wherever they need to because it relies only on a web browser and internet connect -- no proprietary software or hardware required; no desk to which you're chained. There is a lot of power in Bloomerang at a price point that I guarantee will fit any budget, and the Bloomreang team does a great job of creating a product experience that actually has you celebrating the renewal date because you can cut the check knowing you made an excellent choice. From our first call with the sale's rep and through 12+ months of communication, I have enjoyed our experience with Bloomerang and look forward to many years as a client.
ProsGreater than the Bloomerang CRM itself is the company's incredible support team that is not only quick to respond and meaningfully engage, but does so humanely. Too many vendors staff their support teams with specialists who are technically proficient, but lack the ability to translate their knowledge into kind and understanding support. Without this type of support, clients like me would be left frustrated, defeated and with unresolved issues. Boomerang recognizes that their software AND support team needs to be human, and they do a great job putting this understanding into practice. This understanding is well-implemented in the software itself which requires minimal training to comfortably navigate and use. I am able to train-in team members on Bloomerang's basic functions within 60 minutes, and thanks to the software's intuitive interface, team members aren't intimidated by what they see on-screen, allowing them to explore Bloomerang's functionality on their own. This ease-of-use rings true for me as an administrator, too. Because I can swiftly navigate through the CRM's features, I am more efficient with my time and able to focus on completing projects and tasks without needing to consult a encyclopedia-length user manual. Overall, I have found that Bloomerang's great product and excellent support has elevated our team's ability to do our jobs well. We're not bogged down in the software anymore. We're focused on fundraising.
ConsThere are a lot of strategic opportunities for the Bloomerang team to take advantage of as they continue to grow as a company, and an area where I'd like to see growth is with third-party integrations. There is currently a MailChimp integration in the pipeline, but I'd also love to see the door open to platform access through API integration services such as Zapier, which would allow customers like me to easily and securely connect Bloomerang to other key software in use within our department and organization.
Lisa N.
Director of Community Relations
May 4, 2017

“Great CRM”

OverallBloomerang is ideal for agencies that are looking for a straightforward interface with the ability to customize fields and reports to your needs. Their social media integration, relationship tracking, and interaction fields takes our ability to get to know donors to another level. The import function, once you get the hang of it, is an incredible time saver. The ability to embed online donations via a custom Bloomerang form into our website has increased our online donations significantly. The program is continually improving and the customer service is excellent.
Pros-User-friendly interface -Pretty easy for beginners to pick up -I love how you can make relationships between people (very nice to pull up a church and find out what volunteers and donors attend that church or go to that book club) and put people into households -The giving summary on the donor profile and dashboard is a nice visual. -I like the ability to create tasks (but it would be nice if they sent you email reminders for deadlines that are coming up) -The ability to create interactions field is very helpful to keep track of your communications, meetings, and other cultivation items that don't necessarily include a donation. -Custom forms, including custom donation forms make it so easy to tailor fundraising campaigns. -Very customizable reports and fields (we now use Bloomerang instead of paying for Volgistics to track volunteer hours) -Using Bloomerang stripe with our online donation page is fantastic-Our online donations went WAY up from Paypal. -Great responsive technical support---we use just the online chats and emails and haven't found a need for phone support. -Love that this database is always improving. Our last one did not have that capability, so I think Bloomerang has a lot of potential. -Also love that it's cloud based---our last database was not. -You can link your Twitter feed to Bloom and it will automatically populate tweets that your constituents have tweeted, and it gets added to their engagement level. -I'm using the import function for more and more thingsdonation entry, mailing interactions, attendance sheets, volunteer hour tracking. Once you get the hang of it, it can save a lot of time if done correctly.
Cons-Report formatting: All reports export to excel, but it only exports the table and information. It would be nice if it at least included a title (so you remember what you're looking at), and maybe a time and date it was run. -Reporting: The new reporting function is very powerful and you can pull great information from it. I do have trouble with how Bloomerang collapses each query. With more complex reports it's hard for me to remember each part of my query when everything is collapsed into a small -Multiple tributes/notificants (for holidays): You can only put in one tribute per donation right now. -They need a much better way to input tributes and they also need a way to track and send acknowledgements to people: The honor/memorial function is currently the worst part of Bloomerangit has a terrible, backwards work flow and a major oversight for nonprofits that process a lot of tribute gifts. Although you can add a "notificant" to a donation, there's no way to actually send letters to notificants through the letter function. We've created a process to notify honorees and notificants manually that works great, but that's something to keep in mind for folks that process a lot of honor/memorial gifts. -Special note if you go through the conversion process: When you add a new constituent, there's a field that Bloomerang populates a date called "Created". However, when your data is transferred, your original Created dates (if it was tracked in your previous system) will be lost and they'll all be put into Bloomerang as the date the data was transferred. Bloomerang needs to keep the integrity of the original "Created" date of constituents OR create a custom field to place that information so you can run future reports. [There is no way to use the import feature for us to go back and add this information in, so volunteers are adding it for us]. -Task list: I'd like the task list to show more details to help you know what the task is, and send email reminders. Right now you make a task and then forget about it. -Letters need to export to word instead of a PDF. We have a pdf editing software here to get around that, but would like to keep our Family House fonts and make minor changes if needed, etc. -Need a way to catch duplicate records (either with a report, or alert if you're entering an address that's already in the system)
Recommendations to other buyersTake advantage of the conversion process to clean up your current database (are there any fields that you can combine, are there any data inconsistencies that you can fix). The only issue we had when we converted was when all entries into our "Date Constituent Added" field changed from the date we entered the constituent into our system to the date that we imported into Bloomerang. We had to go back through with a custom field and manually re-enter all "constituent add" dates. The customization ability is great, but as a user be careful to not get it too cluttered!

By Bloomerang on July 9, 2019
Hey Lisa, good news: you now have the ability to edit individual letters and manage duplicates! https://bloomerang.co/blog/design-segment-and-personalize-thank-you-letters-in-bloomerang/ https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-real-time-duplicate-constituent-management/
May 4, 2017
Melinda W.
Development Director
December 27, 2016

“Got out of hostage situation”

OverallI came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch. Bloomerang is an excellent tool and I can't see any areas for improvement. One feature several users including myself have requested is currently in development. So Bloomerang listens to their users to offer solutions and keep the platform moving forward. They are patching the holes in the roof and doing the maintenance needed- not making you buy a whole new house to get upgrades.
ProsI came into a new position and when the company mentioned their donor database it was like they were caught up in a hostage situation. They were stuck in an expensive contract with something they barely knew how to work with. A key component of my hire was that I knew how to work with this big, aggressive, expensive system. What a backward way to think! I had always heard of Bloomerang thanks to their presence at conferences, webinars, and experts. To move to a simpler system meant more people could use this tool. So what do I like best? Bloomerang became an effective tool so that more than one person could use the system. Increased functionality meant we could accept online donations and training people became a cinch.
ConsBloomerang is an excellent tool and I can't see any areas for improvement. One feature several users including myself have requested is currently in development. So Bloomerang listens to their users to offer solutions and keep the platform moving forward. They are patching the holes in the roof and doing the maintenance needed- not making you buy a whole new house to get upgrades.
December 27, 2016
Samantha P.
Development Associate
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
November 14, 2016

“Bloomerang to the rescue!”

OverallWe are a small shop non-profit and because of Bloomerang's affordability, we have been able to transform our fundraising strategies in ways that we could have never imagined. With only three individuals working on the administrative side (Development Associate, Administrative Director, and President & CEO) and needing to raise just over a million dollars each year, we are dependent on the services that Bloomerang provides us. The customer service team is unbelievably amazing and each and every question is always answered in a timely manner. Each rep takes the time to explain WHY and HOW certain steps are important so that you actually can grow and learn. We just generated our year-end appeal mailing list and on our old reporting program, it took running several reports and then using formulas in excel to remove duplicate records. Countless staff hours used to go into this endeavor but because of Bloomerang and the Bloomerang team, we have our most carefully curated and hand-selected year-end mailing list that we have ever had (at a fraction of staff time nonetheless!) Our team chatted with the Bloomerang staff for 5-6 hours and they answered EVERY SINGLE question. We went from spending 30-40 hours creating this list to no more than 10. For this, we are incredibly grateful. The reporting features have enabled us to better direct our fundraising endeavors and we can send targeted mailings with tailored asks based off of future giving capacity. Our acknowledgement letters have an incredibly fast turnaround time and this simply was not feasible when we were still using our previous database. The ability to add interactions and notes to our donor profiles have helped us form a better understanding of our constituents and have provided us with the opportunity to develop deeper relationships with our donors. We also love that our online donation forms can sync with Bloomerang so that we are able to quickly detect whose given to us. The layout and setup of the system is so simple that we can easily have volunteers or interns hop onto the system to help us clean up our database or add constituents. Going back to our earlier point that we only have three people working on the administrative side, it is so important to us that our system is easy enough for other individuals to be able to work on. Bloomerang came to our rescue and I firmly believe it is one of the reasons that this has been our best year to date!
ProsEase of use, reporting features, capacity to add custom fields to constituent records, affordability, ease of generating acknowledgement letters, simple and easy--to-use email templates, online donation forms syncing with database
ConsNone (no really!)
Recommendations to other buyersBloomerang will change the way you fundraise, plain and simple. When comparing to other donor databases, no one comes close to Bloomerang's affordability and ease of use.

By Bloomerang on July 9, 2019
Can't even begin to tell you how awesome it is to hear this, Samantha. Your experience is what we hope for and strive to provide to every single Bloomerang user!
November 14, 2016
Erin H.
September 27, 2018

“Great tool for our Advancement team!”

OverallOverall, our organization has been very happy with our switch to Bloomerang over 2 years ago. It has allowed us to better track donor cultivation and retention efforts, which means we are engaging with our donors more effectively. It's a great tool for our team as we develop our annual fundraising plans and allows all team members to easily check in throughout the year to see how we are progressing toward our goals.
ProsThe database is easy to use and customize. The dashboard provides a great snapshot of how our organization is doing on any given day in terms of donor retention and money raised for any active campaigns. Designing custom reports is straightforward with features like drag and drop columns, and the reports run to screen, so it's easy to tell if you have all the relevant information before exporting data. New features are regularly added, including features based on user-requests. One of my favorite features is the live chat support. I'm able to connect right away with someone on the support team, they are knowledgeable about the systems and are able to work with me to effectively solve problems, suggest relevant tips or work-arounds, and are pleasant to deal with.
ConsCurrently, in the event registration piece of the database, people can purchase multiple tickets in a single transaction, but only of the same ticket type. I'm hopeful that soon constituents will be able to select more than one ticket type in the same transaction (adult & child, member & non-member, etc.).
Pete C.
Education Management, 51-200 employees
July 16, 2019

“Data Base Made EAsy”

OverallFund raising and data base management.
ProsBloomerang is an robust, easy to use software for fund raising and data management. It has a built in wealth screen in addition to mapping and email functions. This is a one stop shop for all of your fund raising needs which include reports, letters and emails.
ConsAt times reports can be tricky, however support is phenomenal.
July 16, 2019
RJ B.
Operations Manager
Fund-Raising, 1-10 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
August 23, 2019

“Easy, Simple Donor Management System with Great Features”

OverallWe ended up choosing a different system because it had more features and we liked the feel of using it better. However, I spent considerable time demoing and trialing Bloomerang and had regular, relevant communication with my sales person. He was amazing! By his actions and intentionality alone I could tell that if we went with Bloomerang, we would have had outstanding customer service. This company contributes a great deal to the non-profit and fund-raising industry in all its offerings (blog, etc.) and in how it partners with industry experts. Bloomerang wasn't exactly right for us, but I know that if we would have encountered this software a little earlier in our organization's history, we would have gone with it and loved it no doubt.
ProsThe Bloomerang system makes it very easy to segment supporters: - It has unlimited custom field opportunities, which you can easily configure to look nice on a supporter's record without looking cluttered - It has an excellent "Engagement Meter" that rates by affinity and interactions with your org - All of those options are easily reportable, and reports are intuitive to run It also helps organizations keep donor retention as one of the highest priorities through its Donor Retention meter on the main home page. Supporter records are easy to view and have a great timeline showing gifts, interactions, and some automatic highlights (like second gift, lapsed, etc.).
ConsIts user interface feels a little outdated compared to some other CRMs out there. It did not have a reminders feature to remind fundraisers of tasks (though it did have a list of current and past due tasks). The email and letter tools felt limited in the formatting options. It is very simple to use, and when coming from a very robust system, it felt somewhat limiting.
August 23, 2019
Ben S.
Chief Operating Officer
August 9, 2016

“Bloomerang - Easy to Use and Amazing Customer Support”

OverallMy organization started using Bloomerang in 2015 when we wanted to switch to a donor management platform where our donation form could be embedded into our actual website (instead of having our donor be taken to an external site). I was immediately impressed with the customer support and ease of setting up my account and importing my existing/past donations. I continue to be impressed with Bloomerang and they address all of our needs as a small nonprofit organization.
ProsNot only is Bloomerang easy to use and navigate, but their customer service is amazing. They are always extremely quick to respond to requests and if I ever have an issue, it is always resolved right away. It allows me to not be worried if something looks off or if an issue arises, because I know I can expect a response almost immediately. I also like the ease of running reports and the variability of the possible reports. I enjoy that I can filter out many details, whether it's regarding donor type or transaction type.
ConsThere are a few small kinks that need to be resolved, but I know the Bloomerang team is aware of them. For example, there is an issue when trying to track "Tribute" donations through the platform, as well as being able to review/resend automatic acknowledgment letters to donors. Lastly, I would like to be able to track recurring donations as pledges, but this is not possible with the current platform. All of these are small things compared to the positives that Bloomerang provides.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are looking for a simple-to-use donor management platform with great customer service, this is the software for you.
August 9, 2016
Tiffany S.
Development and Marketing Director
March 21, 2019

“Take it anywhere!”

OverallOverall it has been wonderful to track donor and volunteer information. The email templates are easy to use and scheduling out when I want the email to be sent saves me a ton of time, I love that feature! This system helped us capture constituents that wanted to learn more about us by integrating our newsletter signup on our website to be automatically inputted in our database. Talk about another time saver!
ProsIt's user friendly. The support team at Bloomerang are amazing. They help right away with any information you need on how to add something, customize something, etc... I love the webinars they host almost weekly, even if I don't attend them live. I can go back and listen to them. Lots of great information and presenters are wonderful and even send you follow up information. I love how I can access the database from my phone and still have access to all my donor information while I'm out of the office.
ConsSome of the event features are limited. For instance we had to partner with another company for event registration forms because Bloomerang didn't have the function to purchase multiple packages at once. The support team however, did recommend a company that they are integrated with to help us out. I did hear a rumor that Bloomerang will be changing the event forms feature, so hopefully in the future we can do everything through them.
March 21, 2019
Paige B.
Religious Institutions, 1-10 employees
July 17, 2017

“Perfect for donor management”

OverallI still value this software for the seamless tracking it does of donors and donations. It has many useful features that help with development in terms of finances. I'd like to see more features for help with program and volunteer development specifically but that doesn't minimize the usefulness of what it offers. I highly recommend Bloomerang for nonprofits!
ProsOnline donation forms automatically create profiles in your Bloomerang and those forms can be on our website, our Facebook page, etc. Easy to create web forms for all kinds of uses including donations for specific long-term funds or short-term campaigns. Nice reporting to see what's coming in and the ability to acknowledge donations right from the system with emails or letters. Also like the social media tracking to see who's talking about us and this also feeds into the donor "temperature" which is a measure of donor engagement. You can really identify your true champions! Still learning the system so I'm sure we'll continue to discover useful features. Overall, this is an excellent resource for donor tracking and management.
ConsIf a donor is already in the system and enters a one-time contribution via web form that uses different info it will create a separate record which cannot be deleted without calling customer service for back office assistance. I was told it just has to match 2-3 fields but it even created a separate record for me when I entered a web donation using my first name instead of my middle name (what was already in the system) and all other info the same. Also, I wish there was a way to track non-donors well, i.e. volunteers and those we serve. Tried using a web form for a student application but it then required those fields for the entry of all constituents (not just those entered via the form) so we scrapped that plan. Would be nice to be able to track volunteer hours and which programs participants attend then be able to look up attendance rolls via a search on the program name.
July 17, 2017
Julie R.
Director of Development
Fine Art, Self-employed
September 15, 2016

“Good, simple database”

ProsBloomerang is a simple to use database that focuses on fundraising and donor management basics. The user interface is clean and easy to understand. Being able to set up an unlimited number of our own custom fields is great and adding donations in is easy. The ability to design, filter, send, and track emails to constituents from within the system is good. Of all the systems I got trial logins for when researching, it was the only one that was easy to get into and play around with intuitively without watching a bunch of training videos. The online chat support is always fast, responsive, and helpful, and there's the ability to suggest system features and see what features are in the works. It also has a good social media integration, especially with Twitter.
ConsThere are some basic functions that the program doesn't have, such as the ability to export acknowledgment letters to Word (you can export to xls or PDf), ability to search for the primary contact of an organization record by name, ability to add documents or other attachments to a constituent record, and notification when a credit card transaction fails. The design features for online donation pages are also somewhat limited so you can't create highly customized giving pages.
Recommendations to other buyersThink about who is going to be using the software the most. If you want a system that many people can use easily, Bloomerang is a good fit. If you need to be doing a lot of highly-detailed or complicated functions, it may not be the best system. Bloomerang is also a newer program, so we're hoping new features will continue to be added down the road. The conversion and set up of the system takes someone with some overarching knowledge of data or databases, unless you want to pay extra for help with those.

By Bloomerang on November 28, 2016
Hey Julie, thanks for your feedback! I'm glad that you are enjoying the interface and making use of our support team. Exporting letters as a Word Doc or another type of editable file was something we grappled early on, and ultimately decided that the potential benefits don't outweigh the drawbacks. For example, if you made any changes outside of Bloomerang, the letter saved in Bloomerang wouldn't reflect what you actually sent to the donor. To add some personalization, we recommend instead that you export and print the letter in Bloomerang, and then add handwritten notes before sending. You now have the ability to edit individual letters! No need to export to Word :) https://bloomerang.co/blog/design-segment-and-personalize-thank-you-letters-in-bloomerang/
September 15, 2016
Renee A.
Performing Arts, Self-employed
July 19, 2019

“We are grateful for BLoomerang! ”

OverallFrom the first moment that we interacted with the sales associates we had a great experience. The folks at Bloomerang are knowledge, responsive, and took the time to really understand our needs and "where we are". We use the software daily and it gets better with time!
ProsWe like MOST EVERYTHING about this software. It's easy to train new users on, it generates great reports, it easily allows us to customize constituent profiles and notes and having the ability to interface forms with our website is excellent!
ConsSo far we have not had any negative experiences or things we would like to change with the software or Blooemrang customer service.
July 19, 2019
Danelle E.
Museum Manager
Museums and Institutions, 1-10 employees
September 27, 2018

“5 years of Bloomerang and counting”

OverallWhen we started using Bloomerang about 5 years ago, we were coming from an older system. The user-friendly aspect, custom fields, email tool, online giving tools, report building, etc. were all features that were appealing to us and we continue to use and value all these features and more.
ProsBloomerang is very user-friendly. The reporting tool is great and can basically create anything we need. And if we can't quite get the report right, their support is great to help. We use their email tool for mass emails, create thank you letters, accept online donations, accept event registrations, etc. Great to have all of these features in the same place.
ConsNo major complaints. Just a few small things here or there, but there have been a number of great changes and additions in the time we have used Bloomerang, so I'm holding out hope for things to come! One thing I would like to see is a better way to handle memberships. We have both members and donors who support us. We have created custom fields to record member dates, etc, but would love to have expiration dates that automatically update (for example) instead of having to do it manually; or be able to easily sort a constituent's timeline to see when member dues were paid.
Kaitlyn M.
Director of Digital Strategy
March 26, 2018

“We use Bloomerang as our database software for several clients”

OverallThis software is easy to use and has many customizable features that allow you to keep track of donations and donor profiles.
ProsIt has a user-friendly interface with a lot of functionality. There is an ability to customize many of Bloomerang's features so that you can properly record and track donations and gifts to your organization. For example, we have customized the groups categories to include how many years each donor was involved in an annual event we host. These features not only enable us to keep track of donations, but to pull more detailed reports that we can then use for targeted marketing campaigns.
ConsI have a few complaints about the software's features although they may be considered as "areas for improvement" since they stem from my experience with other softwares' features. The first is an autofill for city/state based on zip code. It would also be helpful is the reports had the option to be organized by time data. When exporting acknowledgements using Bloomerang's template, they automatically convert to PDF which does not allow users to edit letters individually (for this reason we export to Excel and mail merge individually).
March 26, 2018
Joan M.
President and Chief Administrative Officer
Civic & Social Organization, Self-employed
August 25, 2017

“The Bloomerang fundraising software is just the ticket for the small start up organization!”

OverallI hope this new generation of fundraising software continues to be open to suggestions from users and builds on this excellent product.
ProsThere are many features of the software that I appreciate. It is user friendly and has excellent help guides and videos. The techs must be teachers. The guides are written in clear language and easily understood by those who can follow directions.(Not all have patience to follow directions.) I paid for additional help and never needed it! The staff are ready to help and are just a phone call away. And, occasionally, they call just to see how things are going. A nice touch. Lastly and important for new organizations, the cost is reasonable and special discounts are available for new not for profit organizations. The cost gradually increases as the number of accounts are added to the system and additional funding is secured. And, I almost forgot, this system has enabled me to have a fully integrated platform for fund-raising, a goal I had from the beginning.
ConsI would like to see a few things adapted for those of us who do a lot of grant writing and track foundations, but the company is open to suggestions from those using the software and often report adaptations made in response to suggestions from users. I have much more to learn about the features of this product.
August 25, 2017
Peter S.
Director of Philanthropy
Non-Profit Organization Management, 201-500 employees
January 11, 2019

“Great Product Elevated by Great People”

OverallWe are able to track our donor relationships in a more dynamic and fun way and use tools to target our marketing and solicitations while building the results of our fundraising and events.
ProsVery intuitive. Great graphic display and geared toward building and tracking donor relationships. All the information we need without excessive bells and whistles that would not be used. Good flexibility in creating reports that are easily cloned and updated for future needs.
ConsAs one who is not prone to read instructions or take online tutorials, I think the only "con" is my own impatience or need for instant gratification in using all that Bloomerang offers without wanting to go through the learning curve alone. That being said, that is what I and my associates like most...the ability to call customer support (a subscription service) any time to walk us through reports and share shortcuts to expedite our project. 100% of the time the person on the other end is professional, courteous, available, patient and focused on training us in a manner that is not demeaning or pedantic. There is never a long "hold" for support , they speak clearly, and take their time.
January 11, 2019
Jeanine B.
Director of Finance and Corporte Services
October 23, 2018

“What a difference Bloomerang has made!”

OverallThe entire conversion from ETapestry start to finish was flawless. Bloomerang's Support Team is excellent - top notch! We were supported throughout the onboarding process and continue to be - we've been using Bloomerang for over a year now. Our CEO is finding the data she needs! Our donor timelines are accurate and we are connecting with our constituents effectively. The Benevon partnership and integration with Bloomerang has changed the way we fundraise. Integration with QGiv is about to take our peer-to-peer fundraising to a whole new level. We can't thank Bloomerang enough!
ProsBloomerang is the most user friendly, well thought through, and supportive experience we could have ever asked for or imagined. Even our CEO is able to use it! From our donors to our participants and volunteers, we are able to manage all aspects of our mission. Bloomerang is out in front of us developing new and innovative ways of managing our data and we are so very grateful. There are new features and partnerships in place before we come to realize we need them. Training is awesome; chat help is outstanding. Couldn't be happier!
ConsI only wish I had more time to spend sharing our Bloomerang experience with others. It has changed our organization. We can now rely on our data! From our experience, nothing compares. It's been the perfect solution for us and it's only getting better as we grow.
Season R.
March 6, 2019

“Look No Further!”

OverallCustomer service is second to none. I feel as though they care about my success and the success or my organization. I rarely call or email customer service as I don't need to, but when I do, they serve us well.
ProsBloomerang delivers. Being in the development field for more than 10 years, I was skeptical because so many donor software companies show you an "easy" tutorial on how to use the product, but when you get it and start to use it (or try to use) they would NEVER do what I needed them to do. Bloomerang was simple to use from the beginning. Things make sense with Bloomerang. I am already over working my brain to raise money...I shouldn't have to do it to run queries and manage my data. Bloomerang has taken the guess work out of donor management.
ConsThat I took so long to use it/find it! I will say that I know I am not using Bloom to the fullest. And even with not using it to the fullest, I am still getting waaaaay more out of this software than any of the other 7 others that I have used. I need to take time to utilize more of the features that Bloom promotes to make my job easier.
March 6, 2019
Brenda B.
Executive director
Performing Arts, 1-10 employees
November 6, 2018

“Great Product, Great Price, Excellent Customer Support”

OverallThis application replaced dozens of spreadsheets I used to use. I had looked other products that were less robust and way more expensive. The company offers lots of tutorials, videos, webinars and classes that are very helpful. I am happy with this app and anxiously await a better email module. I just wish I could better engage my board to use it for donor interaction logging.
Pros Bloomerang is a very well thought out application. The database and the reports generated from team or in valuable to our organization. The custom reporting is very easy for someone with an IT background searches me, but should be fairly easy for anyone to use. It has been a lifesaver for my organization to have this product which was at a very affordable price. It is continually improved with new features, many at user request. Customer support is top notch.
Cons The email module does not create responsive emails. This feature is seriously lacking in modern usability. I tend to use email via another email client and take advantage of the BCC feature, which copies the email to Bloomerang and attaches it to the constituent's record.
November 6, 2018
Danica D.
January 22, 2016

“Bloomerang is a user-friendly system that provides an easy way to track and engage your donor base.”

OverallBloomerang is a user-friendly, affordable donor database system that provides a clean and easy way to track and reenergize your donor base. Bloomerang is a newer system, so while there are certain functions that could be improved, the Bloomerang staff is very responsive to questions and suggestions so any cons may not stay cons for long. Below are a few current pros and cons with the Bloomerang system. Pros ' It is easy to define a constituent's recognition name, envelope name, informal name, etc. which makes merging documents seamless. ' In the event that you accidentally attribute a gift to an organization rather than an individual or create two profiles for the same constituent, it is easy to merge records and change record types. ' The search tool is quick and efficient. ' Reports are easily downloaded into Excel. ' System and profile dashboards give quick summaries of data, which are especially helpful for organization staff who may not be in the system every day. ' Constituent profiles have different tabs to show different information, but the constituent's name, contact info, and picture stay at the top which makes it easy to jump between records without confusion. ' Credit card processor integration with Stripe and BluePay make accepting online donations very donor-friendly. Cons ' When uploading information, the system errs on the side of duplicating records ' there's no automatic suggestions for matching new data with existing records, so unless what you're uploading is exactly the same as the existing information (down to the punctuation), the info won't be merged. ' Exported letters are only downloadable in PDF form, which prevents any touch-ups or personal notes before printing. Having the option to export to Word would make cultivating personal relationships with donors easier. ' System and profile dashboards aren't very customizable. Bloomerang has allowed our organization to streamline our donation record-keeping, donation acknowledgement, and donor communication processes to maximize our donor relationships. Use of the integrated Stripe online donation processor has simplified and expanded our capacity to garner online gifts, and the timeline functionality has greatly improved our team's communication about grant deadlines and moves management.

By Bloomerang on July 9, 2019
Hey Danica, thanks for the feedback. Good news: we now have real-time duplicate management! https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-real-time-duplicate-constituent-management/
January 22, 2016
Lee R.
Fund-Raising, 1-10 employees
January 17, 2019

“User friendly and affordable!”

OverallInitially, Red Clay Rescue's database was a poorly designed spreadsheet. I could not add enough features to maintain our rapidly growing donor base. Our budget was very low and we were only 3 employees--none of us particularly skilled with the internet. We found Bloomerang through a fundraising consultant and it has been a true blessing. It is very affordable and the features are to numerous to name. Now all of our critical information is organized and at the ready in a keystroke. New features are added frequently and the tutorial videos are so detailed that anyone can use this database. I can't foresee any reason to ever switch from Bloomerang.
ProsThe tutorials are my favorite feature. I am a one person office without a great deal of computer experience. At first I was intimidated by all that Bloomerang offered, but the tutorials are so detailed and specific that even I could use this program with relative ease. And because they are available 24/7, help is at the tips of my fingers! It is also VERY affordable for a low budget charitable organization.
ConsLike any database, this one does take time to learn.
Kristin W.
Program Director
October 29, 2018

“great cloud-based solution!”

OverallBloomerang helped us solve the biggest problems, which were 1) access by multiple users and 2) availability of software ANYWHERE. Being able to use the software in Tanzania (where we work) has been a huge benefit.
ProsAny small nonprofit that doesn't exactly fit the typical database mold can benefit from Bloomerang. You can make it what you want. The letter and email features have hugely strengthened our donor communications and improved our donor retention rate. Having an unlimited number of customer fields available has been fantastic; we always wanted more in our previous database. We were also able to canceled our email marketing software (which wasn't user friendly) in favor of Bloomerang's integrated email functionality.
ConsSeveral items from my wish list have been added over the past two years. (Yay!) Right now, the ability to print individual envelopes directly from Bloomerang is #1 on my list. That's the only important element that I feel is missing from Bloomerang.
October 29, 2018
Kathi T.
Communications and Database Administrator
Philanthropy, 1-10 employees
January 9, 2018

“Intuitive, flexible CRM for small to mid-size non-profit”

OverallOur mid-size foundation was able to replace Network for Good (formerly used for online/web donations and event registration), Constant Contact (weekly newsletter), and Exceed (old donor database) with the all-in-one functionality of Bloomerang. By self-hosting our web forms, we now present a more cohesive front to our constituents. We can do more in terms of donor segmentation, tracking of interactions, staff task assignments, and reporting. Overall, we've been very pleased with our new CRM (though we still use Greater Giving for our annual fundraising event/auction).
ProsDashboard offers at-a-glance analytics on donor retention and campaign progress. Conversion to Bloomerang takes more time than some other CRM vendors, but it is seamless and you have a dedicated Conversion Project Manager. Easy to manage Donor Profiles, and ability to do versatile donor segmentation. Decent Letters and Email marketing capability. I have found Bloomerang easy to use for our weekly newsletter. I like the Reporting capabilities, though the filters can get confusing. Great training webinars.
ConsMostly small things, such as the inability to customize the dashboard or upload a letterhead template. Cannot generate a donation acknowledgement directly from the donor's profile or timeline, at the time of gift entry. Also, support is limited to live chat or email. There have been a couple of times when no one answered the live chat and I had to wait for an email response. The Report filters can get confusing. For example, if running a Transaction report and you want to exclude certain constituents, you have to know how to get to those filters. Event Registration has some limitations, including the ability to limit the number of tickets for sale.
January 9, 2018
Robin G.
Environmental Services, 11-50 employees
October 7, 2016

“Seamless integration for constituent and donor tracking”

OverallI've done several database conversions and implementations in my nearly 20-year career in nonprofits, and without a doubt, the folks at Bloomerang made it fast, easy and seamless. After researching several solutions for donor tracking, we settled on Bloomerang because of it's robust features, customization ability, pricing and training options. Little did I know just how much I would gain from this product! Our implementation manager walked us through the entire process, and once I handed our data over to her, within just a couple short weeks she had all of our information uploaded, customized and ready to roll! I didn't even have to go back to them with any changes, corrections or adjustments! They actually got it right the very first time (something I've never had happen in the implementations I've managed before)!! Since start up, we've found it easy to further customize our data, enter and track donations and new constituents, and format and use the online forms for registrations and donations. There is a huge library of pre-recorded webinars to help with training, and their customer service department is very responsive. Plus they have regularly scheduled webinars to help you with all-things development and fundraising - not just webinars to tout their own products, but knowledge that can really help you take your fundraising to the next level. I'm so happy we chose Bloomerang for our donor management software. It's a software solution we won't have to worry about out-growing - the customization of the tracking and reporting will make it valuable and useful to us for years to come. This has been one of the best decisions I've ever made!
ProsEasy implementation Customization Easy online forms for donations and event registration Excellent training and customer service Easy reporting features Tons of features at a budget friendly price
ConsHonestly, I can't think of any!
Recommendations to other buyersDefinitely do your due diligence and research several options to make sure you are getting the donor management solution that is best for your organization.
October 7, 2016
Cori K.
Primary/Secondary Education, Self-employed
April 4, 2016

“Extremely Satisfied”

ProsAs a customer of Bloomerang for the past 3 years, their customer service always exceeds my expectations. Whether in an on-line chat or over the phone, their knowledgeable customer service representatives quickly respond to any questions I have. For example, when preparing a report of a segmented donor group, Bloomerang was able to help me through the process in a manner that allowed me to run these reports independently in the future. Their commitment to satisfying their customers is evident in the continual enhancements made to their product.
ConsLove that we have the ability to have multiple online donations pages that are tied specific campaigns but would like more flexibility with the online donation page.
Recommendations to other buyersListen to the Bloomerang experts! During our conversion process, my colleagues and I decided to keep households as one constituent. The more we use the product, we can see all the benefits of using the individual constituents and linking them by households. They know how to use their product best.

By Bloomerang on January 12, 2017
Hi Cori! Are you looking for more flexibility in terms of style or functionality? As far as style goes, having a security certificate (SSL) on your site allows the form to show up directly on your site and inherit the look of your site. If you don't have that SSL, you can still upload an image and style sheet to the Bloomerang-hosted version of the form. If you are looking for functionality beyond the standard form, you might consider self-hosting the form. The sky's pretty much the limit when it comes to self-hosted forms. :)
April 4, 2016
Stephenie D.
Mental Health Care, 201-500 employees
April 23, 2019

“Outstanding Multi-Feature Fundraising Tool”

OverallI've used multiple fundraising databases over the years, and Bloomerang is my favorite. It's easy to use, customer support is outstanding, and it integrates our online donation platform, fundraising software, donor retention score, and e-mail marketing all in one piece of software. Bloomerang is a critical member of our fundraising team! The user interface is great, and the software is very easy to use. One of my favorite aspects about Bloomerang is the quick access to customer support. The online chat feature is wonderful, and the Bloomerang support team can even access our database remotely to help with any questions we are having setting up reports, e-mails, etc.
ProsThe user interface is great, and the software is very easy to use. One of my favorite aspects about Bloomerang is the quick access to customer support. The online chat feature is wonderful, and the Bloomerang support team can even access our database remotely to help with any questions we are having setting up reports, e-mails, etc.
ConsIt would be helpful if I could tag multiple donors in a note and/or task.
April 23, 2019
Ashley C.
Non-Profit Organization Management, Self-employed
October 3, 2018

“Bloomerang”

OverallOverall Bloomerang has brought so much organization to us. We are a small grassroots nonprofit that only has one staff person and several volunteers. Having a safe central place with all the information we need is huge. I know there is a lot more that this program can do that we have not even begun to tap into, but so far it has really improved how we serve donors.
ProsThis software is extremely easy to use! I love that it is cloud based so I can access from anywhere. I love that you can set up different forms for different things. I also think the customer service is top notch. I probably use the live chat once a week with help in creating reports and they are always quick and super helpful!
ConsOne thing we would really benefit from is having sub funds. There are appeals and campaigns, but we have things that are regular monthly designations that are under specific funds. For ex. We work in Sierra Leone so that is the name of the fund people select, but then under that it would be helpful for them to have the options of school sponsor, orphan sponsor, general, etc. I also think the EFT option for donors would be good. Many want to avoid the fees.
October 3, 2018
Gail R.
August 1, 2016

“Love the ease of the Bloomerang Interface!”

OverallChanging your database when you are an established non-profit is a daunting experience. We made the switch almost 2 years ago and have been very happy we did. The interface is clean and clear and so easy to navigate compared to our previous database which made getting reports challenging. Now, with a few clicks, I can really dive in to my data and this has allowed us to do a much better job of donor stewardship. I love being able to quickly see a snapshot of the donor history along with an assessment of how close they are to our organization (cold, cool, warm, on fire). Switching to Bloomerang has made me realize how important it is to be able to pull data easily in order to make operational decisions that have the most impact.
ProsIt is very easy to use, which allows us to have volunteers do data entry. We can upload interactions which means we can have information about who attended our events even when we use a third party ticket site. We love that it is web-based and can be accessed anywhere.
ConsI would like to see an email feature that lets you send one email - right now you set the filters so it does a mass email to just one person.
Recommendations to other buyersFor us, it was the same cost as our previous database (Etapestry) and it is a much better product. The team made the data transfer more painless than I imagined.
August 1, 2016
Deborah H.
Membership/Donations/Volunteer Coordinator
Museums and Institutions, 1-10 employees
June 26, 2019

“what works and what doesn't”

OverallMy overall experience with Bloomerang is that the software is quite user friendly if you follow the instructions and take the classes. And if you run into questions or difficulties the support staff is fabulous!
ProsThe best thing about Bloomerang has to be the customer support through the chat line. it is an impressive group of individuals who really know their stuff!!!
Consthe thing i like the least about Bloomerang is the lack of an integrated piece for addressing envelopes.
Julia F.
Philanthropy, Self-employed
April 13, 2017

“This software is one of the best products out there for a small to medium-sized non-profit!”

OverallI am a huge fan of this software and have told all of my fundraising colleagues about it. In fact, I loved it so much when I recently switched jobs I made sure my new organization became a Bloomerang customer within two weeks of me being there.
ProsI love how intuitive and easy to use the software is. Even if you are a novice to fundraising, you'll be able to quickly get up to speed thanks to the nice visuals and ongoing training courses they offer. Bloomerang's customer support team is also top notch. They are friendly, knowledgeable and quick. Any question I've contacted them with, I usually was able to receive an answer within a few hours, oftentimes even within 30 minutes. My absolute favorite feature so far (I'm discovering new favorites on a regular basis) is being able to create reports based on the donor engagement level. It helped me a lot with the segmentation of donors and "deep cleaning" my database.
ConsThere are a few things that I hope the development team will be adding in the future. I don't like that the campaign process on the home page cannot be set for an annual goal. That would be a nice quick summary to have to share with the board. I also would like the donation page to be more customizable to include images.
April 13, 2017
Anastasia T.
11-50 employees
November 16, 2016

“Bloomerang has been a great addition to our development team”

OverallAfter weeks of research our nonprofit decided that Bloomerang was the best fit for our fundraising needs. Bloomerang is founded by the same creator of Etapestry and it is evident that the software was built on a wealth of experience in non profit fundraising. We can now track interactions with donors, set follow-up reminders, and organize communication all in one place. We can measure donor engagement through email opens, events attended, volunteer opportunities, social media engagement. We are also very excited to be able to track and measure donor retention, which is something we have not been able to do in the past.
ProsWe purchased a package of 1,000 records and with an additional annual cost of $14 a month we can access an integrated donor research tool. This allows us to search who supporters give to and how much, the value of their house, and who they give to politically through a database. This is an incredible deal since this process normally takes a lot of time and research from a staff member. Free Unlimited Email and IM Support Extremely user friendly They are constantly creating more tools based on customer needs and recent research of fundraising trends
ConsThe API is open but not easy to integrate with any other systems an organization might use to track information like Actionkit. There are plug in tools you can use to upload information and records from another database or system but you cannot easily sync another database system to Bloomrang so that they communicate regularly. Depending on your needs as an organization this may not be relevant to you.
Recommendations to other buyersTake your time with the process of finding a database that fits your organization needs.
November 16, 2016
Jennifer L.
51-200 employees
October 3, 2016

“Bloomerang-Great Software and great price”

OverallMy organization switched to Bloomerang almost one year ago to manage our donor files. I have been very pleased with the software and the overall experience with the company. They have very easy to understand webinars introducing new users to the software. I felt I learned enough from the webinars to jump right in. The system is very intuitive and user friendly. I felt I was quickly able to run reports and thank you letters (which I do on a weekly basis). The support chat feature is one of my favorite things. I have used it many times to get information on how to run a new report. The staff is always very friendly and walks me through all of the steps. I also love that it is web based so I can access it remotely. Overall I am very pleased with the software and feel you get an amazing product for a very reasonable price.
ProsThat is is web based and very easy to use. The price is also outstanding compared to similar products. You really can't beat it financially.
ConsThat thank you letters are exported as pdf's instead of editable documents. This does slow me down weekly.

By Bloomerang on May 11, 2017
You now have the ability to edit individual letters right from Bloomerang! No need to export to an outside file type. https://bloomerang.co/blog/design-segment-and-personalize-thank-you-letters-in-bloomerang/
October 3, 2016
Jamie C.
Outreach Manager
Environmental Services, 11-50 employees

“Bloomerang has Everything!”

Overall10 stars.
ProsAnd I mean everything! If you are serious about donor metrics and starting to better integrate donation history into your outreach strategies Bloomerang is amazing. You can run almost any type of donor report your little heart desires (sometimes takes some fine tuning, but you learn with time) and the fact that you can use those same report filters to send emails and generate letters to specific constituents is awesome. I am so glad we switched from our old email and donor databases and consolidated with Bloomerang. It's made a world of difference. Customer service is also fast and professional! They want to make sure you get the most out of their product.
ConsThere are some very minor inconveniences I run across occasionally. Sending letters for split donations has been tricky, and I don't understand why they consider a recurring donation schedule as a donation? All very minor things and easy to maneuver around. Nothing I would switch companies over.
Frank V.
September 20, 2018

“Outstanding Customer Support”

OverallDonor segmentation is critical. You cannot have one message for the variety of donors we have. Bloomerang has allowed us to quickly sort donors by level of giving, by donor type, etc. Now we can send appeals to different groups with personalized messaging. But I also must say that the customer service is outstanding! They are quick to respond and help. Thus, as the Executive Director of my nonprofit, my overall experience with Bloomerang has been incredible.
ProsIt is very user-friendly. It automatically segments our donors which helps us personalize appeal letters. Additionally, we are able to track corporate/foundation giving. This is helpful because it allows us to see if there has been a stop in giving, and that's helpful for all donors!
ConsI'd like to see it have the functionality to set up recurring tasks for grants because grants are cyclical. I create tasks to remind when grant applications are due. Once I've submitted the grant application, I "complete" the task on Bloomerang, and it disappears. It would be great if it automatically created a new task for the following year!
September 20, 2018
Sandy W.
Operations Manager
Philanthropy, 1-10 employees
August 28, 2017

“Bloomerang is an Excellent Investment”

OverallAs a nonprofit organization, value is very important when making spending decisions. Bloomerang has exceeded our expectations, and we consider it an important investment in maintaining donor relationships!
ProsWhat a fantastic user interface! Bloomerang is very user friendly. Makes it so easy to enter new constituents and donations. The ease of use might make you think this is a simple program. It is not. The database capabilities behind the scenes are very powerful and provide the ability to easily generate complex reports. Support is also excellent and provides very fast assistance when needed. It also integrates very well with Quickbooks. If you are tired of spending time trying to track your donor activity in an accounting software, such as Quickbooks, and on spreadsheets, this is the software for you. Simply put, use Bloomerang to track DONORS and accounting software to process DOLLARS. I highly recommend Bloomerang!
ConsThe Letters function is a good feature, but I would like the word processing tool to be more robust. The formatting capabilities are limiting for more complex documents, such as invoices and receipts. The Reports function is powerful, but would be even better if both transaction and constituent data columns could be customized on one report.
August 28, 2017
Lori M.
Finance Director
November 26, 2018

“Bloomerang ”

OverallBloomerang has made big difference in our ability to track and maintain donors. It brings a number a functions (donor info, donation info, auto donations through credit cards or ETF and donor communication) all to one place.
ProsBloomerang is a great donor database software. It provides one place to keep customized information about donors as well as their giving information. It is truly customizable, can integrate with your credit card and ETF processor and gives you the ability to email your donors both as a whole or with customizable filters. I also enjoy the webinars that they offer for nonprofits or for using Bloomerang more effectively.
ConsThere are a few quirky things that have been annoying. Automatically added new constituents to every email group and the way that the software calculates a campaign goal two things that come to mind.
November 26, 2018
Jaclyn M.
Director of Giving
Primary/Secondary Education, 1-10 employees
May 4, 2018

“Don't bother with other databases!”

ProsBloomerang is the easiest to use, and includes features that are based on what fundraisers really need -- not all the random extras that seem cool but are just useless clutter. Imports are easy, reports are easy, even acknowledgement letters are easy and integrated. Software updates are automatic and seamless, so you never have to mess with them or risk being out of date. The customer support can't be beat. I've transitioned two organizations to Bloomerang, and will hopefully be transferring a third within the year!
ConsThe only thing I'd love to see change is for acknowledgement letters to be exported in Word format instead of only PDF. That said, even the PDF is highly customizable before it exports, so it's a teeny tiny itsy bitsy problem.
May 4, 2018
Karen G.
Development Director
November 28, 2016

“Once you try Bloomerang you'll never look back”

OverallBloomerang is so easy and enjoyable to use. I am able to manage all of my development processes through it, streamlining tasks and saving time and energy. It has made my job so much easier and I am a better fundraiser because of it.
ProsThe reporting, ease of data entry, mass email management, donor/volunteer engagement and retention tracking
ConsVery minor issues that will probably be fixed down the road. Can't mass upload tasks (have to manually enter even if they repeat annually) and can't schedule emails to go out at a later time. But the pros way outweigh the cons.
Recommendations to other buyersDon't be intimidated by the cost - it isn't free but it isn't the most expensive on the market either. Yes, you may be paying more than you were before, but the man hours you'll save and the quality of work you'll get out of it is worth the investment, as Bloomerang allows you to spend more time fundraising and less time database managing.
November 28, 2016
Britt N.
Executive Assistant
Civic & Social Organization, Unspecified
April 5, 2016

“Mastering Donor Metrics Made Easy”

ProsIt's got a clean design that gives you access to meaningful donor metrics on the dashboard and for each individual donor record. The timeline is absolutely perfect when it comes to getting a snapshot of the donor and the additional features of the reports and emails make it easy to both keep in contact and to manage mailing that is relation specific. Along with the product being top-notch, you also have access to great educational sessions that are free and are either full of good information or give you further tools to help out in the industry which makes Bloomerang an all around great company with a very functional product.
ConsThe letter and email sections limit what you can do in the editor. There are also a limited number of templates for quick creation and it would be nice to see more variety in them which would help out when trying to make quicker publications.
Recommendations to other buyersKeeping in mind what matters most when tracking donors comes first, meaning it's important to have what you need, but it's also important that it's done in such a clean cut and easily manageable way. It's the ease of use that really helps out especially when you're dealing with a high volume of important information. It really cuts down on the time you have to spend working with the product just to get what you need. Time spent having to tweak a report or figure out how to torture a number out of a data set is wasted when a product like this puts it out in the open.
April 5, 2016
Jim J.
Managing Director
Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees
May 7, 2018

“Bloomerang non-profit donor tracking”

OverallI am a long time user of this product, and I would totally recommend this product to anyone considering switching or even the first time donor database user. This product has features that will help the seasoned non-profit and the start-up alike.
Pros- Its integrated with other 3rd party products - I can easily incorporate a number of things (through code snippets generated from by the Bloomrang database) directly into my website - Good and responsive customer service - I like the initial sign-in dashboard
Cons- I wish there were a more granular control of users ability to see different parts of the database (i.e., donations, anonymous gifts, etc..) - It's great that there are so many options, but it would be great to "disable" certain features I don't use - I wish the task aspect had more features
May 7, 2018
Ashleigh G.
Vice President
Fine Art, Unspecified
April 8, 2016

“The only one I love”

ProsOur organization was ready to move to a database for the first time, and Bloomerang has been a great solution. Bloomerang gives us reliable, consistent data and reports in a user-friendly platform, plus we use it to track stewardship actions, grants, and more. It's a streamlined platform that meets our needs today and will grow along with us in the future. I have also found it really easy to train interns and volunteers on certain tasks, like entering contact reports and running acknowledgement letters. I've used several fundraising databases, and I can confidently say that Bloomerang is the only one that I have ever loved using. It does exactly what I need it to in a really manageable, intuitive platform.
ConsThere is not currently an easy way to enter complex gifts (split gifts, gifts with multiple stock share sale prices, etc). Most of our gifts are not complicated, however, so it's not an issue for us right now - and there are work-arounds.
Recommendations to other buyersBe honest about your needs and the size of your database - some products will have too much or too little functionality for your needs, so you want to buy the one that fits your org. If you aren't sure how to make that call, call up a few development folks from other nonprofits you trust and ask for their take on your needs. They will be able to help you translate your org's needs to the right type of software.
April 8, 2016
December 19, 2018

“Best in the Business!!”

OverallWe are very pleased with Bloomerang at all levels. It provides us a cloud based solution to our data needs and gives us complete access where and whenever we needed.
ProsBloomerang is a very easy to use data base that can deliver the reports, data and information that any development department will need. In addition, Bloomerang has a built in newsletter feature that allows you to send your message to donors and keep constituents informed. This is coupled with letters and reports that are further help to deliver your message to the donors. The program is also backed by a support team that is available in minutes to chat if and when you need help.
ConsThe software could use additional pre-made templates for reporting.
December 19, 2018
Rachel D.
Donor Relations Coordinator
October 11, 2018

“All - in - one CRM”

OverallIt is extremely convenient to have all of our needs in one place. It really has the capacity for a lot, and can do a lot if you know how to use the software well.
ProsI like that it has so many things integrated - email list, newsletters, reporting, tracking, volunteer forms, and more. It fully integrates donors, constituents and volunteers, and encompasses features we need streamlined through our website and into our CRM. It is also extremely user friendly and clean layout.
ConsThe customizability is hard. One particular thing is the email templates. The email functionality itself is great, but the templates are limited in how much you can customize that that can be challenging. It also doesn't have a duplicate record check feature.

By Bloomerang on July 9, 2019
Hey Rachel, good news: we now have real-time duplicate management! https://bloomerang.co/blog/new-feature-real-time-duplicate-constituent-management/ Glad you have been enjoying Bloomerang!
October 11, 2018