DATABASICS Time & Expense Ratings

Overall

About DATABASICS Time & Expense

Timesheets and expense reports on one platform that solve your most challenging pain points and free up valuable resources. A powerful mobile app that makes it easy to take pictures of receipts and build expense reports. Configurable platform to track employee timesheets, projects, & clients, meeting all your requirements. Direct integrations with payroll, billing, and accounting. Complete with essential PTO tracking & leave management tools for an all-in-one experience. Learn more about DATABASICS Time & Expense

Traci G.
AP Manager
Pharmaceuticals, 501-1000 employees
July 23, 2019

“2019 DataBasics Review ”

OverallMy accounts payable group had to manually process approx. 60 expense reports each week. This software not only saves them a considerable amount of processing time but it makes the entire approval routing and payment process more efficient.
ProsThe software is very user friendly. The general ledger extract, automated notifications and the availability to customize reports is extremely helpful. The security behind the rules and validation process, is ideal in helping my staff approve and make payment process efficient. The amazing DB staff from the our implementation team to our current support staff is the absolute BEST part of the entire process.
ConsIt would be great if the supervisors or managers that approve the expense reports, could do that simply by replying to the email notification

By DATABASICS on July 25, 2019
Thanks, Traci, for your thoughtful review of DATABASICS! We love to hear that you're saving time and making your processes more efficient. We're also thrilled to hear that the DATABASICS team has been so helpful throughout the whole process. We're also super thrilled to have you as a customer. Thank you for the time you took to tell others about us. -The DB Team
July 23, 2019
jon n.
Business Systems Administrator
Non-Profit Organization Management, 201-500 employees
June 13, 2017

“The product works and functions as needed for this organization. Customer support is top drawer.”

Overall1. Automated time and expense tracking with solid interfaces to/from various other applications. 2. Improved (over the course of many years) end user time and expense interface. 3. Hosted environment with the database custody proviso. 4. Top drawer customer support
ProsI like most: 1. Customer Support through the Databasics support website/portal 2. Application stability - little to no downtime 3. Application functionality 4. Ease of administration 5. End user experience We have a 360+ employee user pool who all use the time sheets with a good portion of that total also using the expense reporting. We have used Databasics since version 4x, through the years upgrading to version 5x and now version 6x in the hosted environment. The application is generally easy to use, in most cases, requiring only a brief initial orientation and from there, minimal end user support for the application. Many employees have taken advantage of the mobile application to enter either time or expenses while traveling and this was a welcome functional addition received with version 6x. Receipt imaging and organization was another welcome addition. We extract and interface expense data (weekly) and time sheet data (semi-monthly) from Databasics to our accounting application. We also import and interface organizational data (employee information, accounting structural data, etc...) into Databasics from both our accounting and HRIS applications. While managing these interfaces requires some training, assistance is always available if needed.
ConsUser feedback indicates that the time sheet form could be improved. The one recurring complaint/suggestion sine version 4x is that time sheet lines cannot be drag-n-drop managed for user sorting preferences. As an administrator, I dislike the fact that I no longer have physical custody of the database for other analysis or reporting needs. All ad hoc reporting must be done through the embedded Jasper reporting application. This generally meets the needs but is sometimes inconvenient to use.

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
We very much appreciate your thorough review of DATABASICS. Hearing about how it benefits you makes our day! Thank you, also, for your suggestions and feedback concerning reporting and the time sheet. Please continue to reach out if you have questions or concerns. We're thrilled for the opportunity to help!
Mark S.
Programming Analyst / Project Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501-1000 employees
June 9, 2017

“An easy to use expense tracking system that provides approval levels needed to manage your expenses”

OverallMoving from a paper tracking system to an electronic system has saved us money, allowed for better expense approval processes and increased the reimbursement turn around for our users. Using the mobile app and website allows approvals to happen from anywhere as long as an internet connection is available.
ProsThe software is easy to manage and setup. It is easy for the users to use. Mostly the Customer Support team is excellent in assisting when you have a problem. Individuals goes out of his way to get you a quick response to any problem or question you may have. It is great to have that kind of support behind you.
ConsThere are only a couple of cons I find about the program. When you want to delete a user you have to go to many different areas and delete the person before you actually delete the user profile. It would be nice from the employee record to click delete and the system asks if you want to delete all correlating records. The system is more designed to just make the user inactive versus actually deleting the individual completely. The other area is AD Hoc reporting. I feel the Jaspersoft report creation is not as easy as the rest of the program. You really need separate in-depth training on how to get the full benefits from the AD Hoc reporting portion.

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
Thank you for your review and your feedback. We also appreciate your suggestion about deleting users and ad hoc reporting. We're also thrilled to learn about the benefits you've experienced in using DATABASICS.
Sherri R.
Senior Accountant/Special Projects
Construction, 1001-5000 employees
September 12, 2019

“Overall good product”

OverallDataBasics works well for us, our employees do both out of pocket and company PCard expenses. We recently upgraded our ERP system and DataBasics' support team was excellent at helping us work out the bugs.
ProsThe versatility for us was key, we have very specific requirements and DataBasics was able to accommodate most of them. The support team is great to work with, very responsive and helpful. DataBasics is very open to and supportive of new requests for features and has implemented several of them for us.
ConsCreating new reports can be cumbersome, they're not very intuitive. However the support team is great and has helped me navigate and created what I couldn't. We have a final review process where the number of expense to review can get pretty high, when the numbers are high the system is slow to load them.

By DATABASICS on September 13, 2019
Hi Sherry, Thanks so much for your review. We're happy to hear that the support team has been such an asset to you. They're very proud of their commitment to our customers and we're happy that you're also experiencing the result of that commitment. We've noted your concern with the load time and we'll continue to strive to make it faster to load. All our best, The DATABASICS Team
September 12, 2019
Renee K.
SR Business Analyst
Insurance, 1001-5000 employees
June 21, 2017

“Great software, easy to administer and support staff are amazing, always willing to help.”

OverallStaff are responsible for inputting their own reports and the automation of the approval process.
ProsThe product is easy to use and administer and the functionality has come a long way since we started using DATABASICS. They are constantly improving their software and their procedure documentation. They are always willing to help us deal with situations or new configuration requests, coming up with solutions or adding them as a future enhancements. I love working with their employees, they are always willing to listing and meet with me to discuss items. DATABASICS started to provide webinars so that you can learn new things about the software as well as using them as a refresher.
ConsMy least favorite thing about the software is the reporting, within DATABASICS admin and Jasper. Jasper reporting is something that I don't use all the time so I have to familiarize myself with it when I do go in and use it. However they have had some webinars on Jasper reporting which has been helpful as well as documenting what's included in the domains. Within the admin console there are some admin audit data that is hard to understand but they are working on improving these.

By DATABASICS on June 22, 2017
Thank you Renee for your honest review of DATABASICS. We appreciate the opportunity to hear your thoughts on the Expense product and we love having the chance to support you and your team with answers to questions and solutions to problems. Hearing about how the Support team has helped you in the past has made our day!
June 21, 2017
Sharon D.
Accounting / Bookkeeper
Public Safety, 51-200 employees
September 27, 2018

“Complete information”

OverallDatabasics has been a project that was implemented slowly and cautiously as most of our contractors are not up to date with technology. Unfortunately it cause a huge problem when trying to get the correct information from them. Databasics has solved most of this issue. The support I have recieved (even witn stupid errors) is extremely fast. The phone app is the greatest! Our employees using the phone app are up to date with their information and as a company we can now see where our strengths and weaknesses are in regards to the cost of goods sold as well as expenses.
ProsPrior to this software our company expense informaiton was all over the place and difficult at best to pull together when invoicing a customer for a completed project. now that all of our employees submit their time and expenses through Data basics I can acces all the expenses for a job within a few minutes by running simple report. The Databasics team was very helpful in
Cons1. Cant hit the back button 2. I would like to be able to match a cc charge to an existing entry.

By DATABASICS on October 1, 2018
Thank you for your thoughtful review of DATABASICS! We love to hear that you're now empowered with data about your organization. We're also thrilled to hear that our support service has been beneficial in solving unforeseen or unexpected problems. We are very appreciative of the time you took to tell others about us. Thank you bunches and bunches! -The DB Team
September 27, 2018
Rohit S.
Operations Manager (Systems - Philanthropy)
201-500 employees
October 11, 2017

“I use DATABASICS for my weekly time cards.”

ProsI like how I can save the time code and activity, so I don't have to locate the same codes every pay period. I also like how I can easily the time sheets from the last few pay periods right after logging in, without any additional work on my side.
ConsI think it is hard to see the dates/times for the entire pay period in one screen. Meaning I have to scroll right and left to view all the times i have entered, when I am still in draft mode. It would be nice if the entire pay period displayed on the screen without having to do this.

By DATABASICS on October 17, 2017
Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear that logging your time is easy. Concerning the Con you noted: It is possible to change your view. Here's how: Click on your name in the top right corner. Click on My Preferences. Look for a section titled Time Preferences. In that area, you can adjust the percentage of your screen taken up by your timesheet. If you enter "30%," for example, then the timesheet will adjust to fit into one screen in draft mode. Then, click "Apply Changes" at the bottom of the screen. Try entering different percentages to see what you prefer. We hope that this fixes the concern you noted. If we can help, just reach out at support@data-basics.com. Thank you for the opportunity to work with you!
October 11, 2017
Suraj D.
Systems and Network Administrator
June 5, 2017

“The app (desktop and mobile) is quick, easy to use and the promptness of the support team is crazy.”

OverallI can easily submit my reports.
ProsI have been using the app since almost a year now, and I still don't find it tedious to submit my time every day. The reason being -- how quick and simple it is to use the app. I have added the clients and time codes I frequently use to my favorites, and in literally 4 clicks I can submit the time. If I need any assistance, an email or call to the support team has always been helpful. The promptness and the flexibility of the team is applauding. If you like traveling, then the cover pictures will make you wonder what are you doing in front of that screen. The app that my previous employer used for time tracking would make me wait until Friday to do my time-sheets or until the deadline was approaching, but with Databasics I can do it every day with so much ease.
ConsIn the last one year I have never come across anything major. The only problems I had to deal with were few glitches, which would stop after restarting the app.

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
Thanks for your review, Suraj! We're happy that you've found the app so helpful. We appreciate the feedback.
Sean H.
Accounts Payable Manager
Insurance, 1001-5000 employees
June 9, 2017

“I work with this product everyday and incorporate new employees into its use.”

OverallWe are now able to keep up with reports and receipts per manager in one secure location.
ProsThe software is user friendly. We are able to train managers within an hour on how to use DB. Being able to adjust a report before reimbursing is a breeze and the validation makes it much easier to keep up with per diem for our managers.
ConsThe reporting. I would like easier was to extract information from the system as well as receipts. If there were ways to mark them so I could pull all of them up when I generate a report to provide support for the charge.

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
Thank you for your review and your feedback. Please reach out to us in the future if we can help with reporting and extracting information! We're here to help at any time.
Hardeep B.
Purchase Card Team Lead
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
August 15, 2017

“System that was provided is Travel Expense system. We were looking for Purchase Card Program. ”

Overallwe were able to implement this software as Purchase Card reconciliation system for CACI. This system will allow users to reconcile transaction and attach back up documents, those will be stored in the system up to 7 years. The need to be able to store documents online for 7 years is what lead to the implementation of this system.
ProsIt's an advance system and accommodated what were looking for even though it was not Purchase Card system.Customer rep helped us made this system function as we expected it to work. From the start, he took the time to sit down with the team to understand our project needs. We understand this is common for implementations but what stood out what his willingness to understand the intricacies of our program and mutually work to develop solutions that work for us (and not just implement solutions that other companies have used).
ConsSystem can be improved with minor tweaks those will have huge impact for users. Most of our users are used to simple and non-complex system. this system has many features those confuse users. specially the non-tech users.

By DATABASICS on August 15, 2017
Thank you for your thoughtful and thorough review! We pride ourselves on the functionality of our product and on our customer service team, so we're thrilled to read that you are satisfied with both. We look forward to many more years of a productive relationship and we hope that you'll continue to reach out to us if you need us. Thank you again!
August 15, 2017
Tom R.
Associate Director - Travel Accounting
Music, 1001-5000 employees
May 25, 2017

“Databasics is the most user friendly T&E application we have used in the past 15 years! ”

ProsUser friendly! The admin functionality is very easy to navigate. The application flags policy exceptions for offshore audit team as well as approvers in the 4 level approval flow. Split screen capabilities allows audit team and approvers to view receipt attachments at the line item level. The application handles ALL interfaces/feeds from Amex, HR, PRS system and SAP. The Jasper reporting tool used for budgeting, T&E Spend and exception reporting. Helpdesk is actually VERY HELPFUL!!
ConsNothing really bad to say about the application it self, the help portal at times is a bit cumbersome.

Dyanna H.
Registration Systems Analyst
Events Services, 11-50 employees
June 12, 2017

“Time saver, easy to use”

OverallInformation at your finger tips, easy to use.
ProsLeave Management has been such a great add for our company. It allows each employee to see how much PTO they accumulate per pay period, how much they used and when they would max out. It makes each employee responsible for managing their own PTO. We can customize it to our needs. We have different accrual rates for length of service, as well as exceptions to the rule. Set them up once, assign them to the employee and it all works! Customer support is amazing and responds very quickly when you need assistance.

By DATABASICS on June 15, 2017
Thank you so much for your kind review. We are thrilled to hear about how leave management is working for you and solving problems. Please continue to reach out with questions or problems. We're always happy to help!
June 12, 2017
Cynthia T.
Director of Finance
Events Services, 51-200 employees
June 13, 2017

“DB has solved our issues with managing utilization, labor billing and expense reports”

OverallHR compliance for hourly employees, time off management, electronic expense reports that seamlessly upload to our financial software, labor utilization by employees, departments and projects
ProsIntegration with Microsoft Dynamics/Solomon Project Controller and Financial Accounting is seamless and easy to manage
ConsI think the report writing can be a little challenging and output not always pretty but it does work

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
Thank you for your review and your feedback concerning report writing. We're happy to help with any problem or provide an answer to any question. We're also thrilled to hear about how useful DATABASICS has been for you.
Sue V.
Travel Program Administrator
Defense & Space, 201-500 employees
June 27, 2017

“From the time we chose DATABASICS , I have always had excellent customer support from the team.”

ProsThe ease in the creation, approval(s) of the TA (Travel Authorization) including the travel advance option. Along with ease in the creation, approval, and payment of Expense Reports. It is extremely helpful that American Express provides a daily data feed with the employee's AMEX charges along with the currency exchanges for the International expenses.
ConsI miss being able to have go between two functions in the application. For example, the ease in going from the Expense Screen and the Admin screen. Perhaps this has changed since my last upgrade.

By DATABASICS on June 27, 2017
Thanks for your review, Sue! We're thrilled to hear about how our customer support team has always been helpful for you. We look forward to continuing to resolve problems and answer questions. We're also glad to hear about how easy you've found it to create, approve, and reimburse expense reports. Thanks for the feedback on the admin view
June 27, 2017
Nancy C.
Databasics administrator
Aviation & Aerospace, 501-1000 employees
June 16, 2017

“Our company has been using Databasics for over 9 years. We have been very happy with this software.”

OverallExpenses are posted into our accounting system which saves the company so much time compared to the manual process prior.
ProsI like that the credit card transactions feed into the system. The government per diems calculate automatically.

By DATABASICS on June 22, 2017
Thanks for your review, Nancy! We appreciate that you have found credit card transactions to be helpful, saving you time over manual processes. We're happy for the chance to hear your thoughts about the product and we're here for you in the future to answer questions.
June 16, 2017
Dave J.
Financial Analyst
Building Materials, 1001-5000 employees
May 31, 2017

“DataBasics Mgmt and Staff have been wonderful to work with. They really are very customer focused.”

OverallValue, Reliability, Good support and customer service. Management that works hard to develop what you need.
ProsReliable, Intuitive, and well supported. This product is always up and running. The service team is in front of all issues and communicates well with the user base. The product is intuitive after the first introductory training. May online help tools.
ConsBack End Reporting. There is an Ad-Hoc tool for creating back end reporting but it is not the best reporting tool. Have had issues getting what I needed and having it run without help from their DB team. They usual come up with a solution and do the work for you or help you get something to fit the need.

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
Thank you for your review and your feedback. Please continue to reach out to us for any problem or question!
May 31, 2017
Claudia E.
Ofc. Mgr.
August 23, 2017

“great”

ProsWe are very please with it. It is very straight-forward and easy to use and meets our company needs.
Cons

By DATABASICS on August 24, 2017
Thank you for your review, Claudia. We're very appreciative that you took the time to write about DATABASICS and we're thrilled to hear that we're meeting the needs of your company. Please reach out if we can do anything to help in the future!
August 23, 2017
Missy L.
Accounts Receivable/Expense Reporting
Consumer Goods, 1001-5000 employees
May 25, 2017

“I have had only good since we moved to solely Databasics- the service is wonderful! ”

OverallThe ability to pull our payment to our drivers at any time. This will and has helped in rare instances that we missed a holiday deadline or someone was unable to submit expenses on time. We have enjoyed a better support system with troubleshooting.
ProsThe ease of use and training for our users. Most all of our drivers transitioned easily to the new system and have had very minimal issues since. Any time we have had any trouble Support is always ready and willing to help out at a moments notice.
Consthe fact that I haven't been able to learn every aspect of its capabilities yet. Not due to any fault of Databasics but of my own - just taking the time to learn/attend a webinar.

By DATABASICS on May 25, 2017
Thank you so much for your review!
Roxanne H.
Finance Coordinator
Accounting, 501-1000 employees

“Excellent Customer Service”

ProsEase of use Very intuitive Easy for the Administrator to us and update/make changes quickly New User Training is short or not even required in some cases.
ConsReporting through Jasper some reports are available through DataBasics Creating reports through Jasper is more difficult

201-500 employees
October 13, 2017

“I use Databasics on a weekly basis, it serves my needs well.”

ProsI like that you can email receipts directly to your expense report. It is easy to navigate and reconcile.
ConsIt would be great if it was easier to see a past expense report - currently I have to export a file to review the line items.

By DATABASICS on October 17, 2017
Thank you for your review! We're happy to hear that emailing receipts is easy and quick. Concerning your note about the ability to see all past expense report line items, it is currently possible to search all past expense report transactions in one screen without having to export. However, this is a feature that must be turned on for your specific site. This is called the "admin read only module," which we can enable, but we will need to confirm it with your administrator. To initiate this process, please email us at support@data-basics.com. We can then provide next steps and communicate with your administrator. Thanks again for the review and the opportunity to work with you! --DATABASICS Support
October 13, 2017
Media Production, 51-200 employees
August 29, 2019

“It's very handy”

ProsI love that they have an app for smartphones. It makes things so much easier.
ConsThere have been times it locked up, but it's rare. And less frequent lately.

By DATABASICS on August 30, 2019
Hello there! Thanks for leaving us a review. We are thrilled that you have had a positive experience with DATABASICS Time and the DATABASICS app; our staff will be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. So thanks for your time and we look forward to continuing to work with you.
August 29, 2019
Cooper W.
Controller
June 5, 2017

“The ability to give employees access to see PTO in realtime is great!”

OverallCon: I didn't hear about it sooner!?! There's really nothing to change about it, honestly. We get the view, we get the report... it's great.
ProsEverything's automated. We set it up and it tracks and provides views to employees with me doing anything. It's a huge time saver and big benefit for our team members.

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
Thank you for your feedback. We're happy to help with any question in the future!
Jen V.
Accounting Consultant
June 5, 2017

“It's just a really easy software to use. One place to go for timesheets and PTO”

ProsI have to track my time to projects. Now that we use DATABASICS it takes me half the time to do my timesheet
ConsNot sure... we haven't begun using all of the modules yet. We're supposed to implement Expense module next quarter.

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
Thank you for your review. Please reach out to us if we can help when the Expense module is implemented.
Raj C.
Staff Accountant
May 25, 2017

“User-friendly, easy, great support help”

ProsUser-friendly, mobile capabilities, ability to capture receipt on phone and email to an expense report
ConsThe inability to choose more than one expense to upload to an expense report, and then categorize and add them all to an expense report (instead of adding them one at a time).

Matt S.
Sr. Financial Analyst
June 7, 2017

“Great system for time keeping and reporting”

ProsEasy to input time sheet data and submit time sheets. Great reporting functionality and ability to design and customize reports.
ConsAdministrative capabilities are not straight forward and difficult to navigate. Custom reports take significant time to run and load.

By DATABASICS on June 13, 2017
Thank you for your review and your feedback. Please reach out to us if we can help with the administrative capabilities or if we can help with running reports. We're here to help!
June 7, 2017
Anne-France C.
T&E Accountant
Medical Devices, 10,001+ employees
August 24, 2017

“Quite good overall. This software could be more intuitive to use”

OverallHarmonized way to do expense reports
ProsWhat I like most is the fact that it is possible to use it anywhere, on multiple devices. I also like the receipt express.
ConsAs an admin, I don't like the fact that the different tables are not linked together (example: it is not possible to have WBS in the same file as the employees, when exporting Employee file in Data Piping). And VAT treatment is still very poor.
August 24, 2017
Jennifer S.
Marketing Director

“Quick & Easy ”

ProsProsI like that it's easy to use. I have used other time and expense systems in the past and it would take forever to file my expenses. I like that I can quickly do my expenses and I get reimbursed fast.
ConsWhat I like least about the software is that it's meant for mid-size and enterprise businesses and not for personal use.

Chris C.
Lead Recruiter
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
February 13, 2018

“Easy to cut down on expenses”

ProsVery easy for our staff to submit time and expenses. Administrators love this because it is also easy for them to gather the information.
ConsThe only challenge is you need to navigate through multiple screen to review and confirm information (dates and times entered)

By DATABASICS on July 11, 2019
Thanks so much for letting us know about your experience with DATABASICS. We're so glad to hear that your administrators love DATABASICS. We're also happy to take on your feedback about the multiple screens. The latest version minimizes the number of clicks you need to get your tasks done. Check out version 7 to see it for yourself!
February 13, 2018