Gusto Ratings

Overall

About Gusto

Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. Our products and services help you onboard, pay, insure, and engage your team in one integrated, easy-to-use platform loved by over 100,000 modern employers. Gusto makes taking care of your team a joyful experience, while helping you manage your bottom line and stay compliant. You'll feel like a pro no matter how complicated the situation. To create a workplace where everyone thrives, work with Gusto. Learn more about Gusto

Showing 50 of 1986 reviews

Showing 50 of 1986 reviews

Alex B.
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
August 30, 2019

“Gusto - Payroll Simplified For A Busy Small Business”

OverallOverall, Gusto is a great software. It has added some automation into our payroll and business. It gives me the peace of mind that my employees are being paid on time, and that taxes and insurance are being handled correctly. The added PTO features, and the ability to add retirement, and healthcare in the same platform is amazing as well.
ProsWe chose to move to Gusto when we looked to simplify and streamline our payroll. As a small business owner juggling payroll and all the other tasks associated with running a business, PTO management, HR management etc., was becoming a big time sink and we did some research and came across Gusto. Moving to Gusto simplified and automated many of those above tasks. It made it easier to track employee time off requests, made it dead simple and automated getting employees to fill out forms, and sign HR documents. And handling payroll, taxes, and such was so much easier after moving to Gusto. Once payroll was set up and configured, it runs on Autopilot. This allows me to know that payroll is being done every 2 weeks and that I have nothing to worry about. We hire a new employee and the employee is automatically added to the system and I know that everything is done correctly, including the workmen's comp insurance, etc. Overall, Gusto allows me to be more efficient with time and ensure everything is being taken care of.
ConsThe hardest part for us and the least liked feature in Gusto is trying to set up net-zero paychecks for me and my partner. There was no easy way to set up a paycheck to go completely to taxes. It required some calculations and messing with withholding amounts. Would be nice if there was an easier way to implement net-zero paychecks.
August 30, 2019
Pamela D.
Retail, 1-10 employees
August 13, 2018

“We've Been With Them Since Their Beginning”

OverallI would highly recommend them. Their site is so easy to use compared to other payroll companies (especially ADP). The people are nice and the price is great for all the things you get. They're more than just a payroll company.
ProsEasy to use. Clear, concise interface. Pricing is reasonable. They make it really easy to open a 401k account for your team even if you're a super small company. Support has usually answered within 24-48 hours. Phone support is available. Integrates relatively easily with accounting software by mapping accounts and exporting as special files.
ConsReally, only three minor complaints: I miss their old name, ZenPayroll. Gusto just doesn't explain them like ZenPayroll did. Payroll truly is easy with them. Gusto is literally defined as "the enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest"-the direct opposite of Zen. That's a total reversal that doesn't make sense. Also, deposits into employee accounts show up as Gusto rather than our company. Finally, accounting integration is dependent on downloading files and then importing. I would really like to see direct integration with the major accounting platforms like Quickbooks and Xero. I know, I'm nitpicking in both cases, but I had to think of something...
August 13, 2018
Jack S.
Dentist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2019

“Great service!”

OverallThe overall experience with Gusto has been great! We shopped around last December and got it right with Gusto. It would be hard to believe anyone out there could be the value that Gusto has.
ProsThis was exactly what we needed for our small company that just needed basic payroll. There is more functionality should we ever need it but the basic set up is a great price and covers our payroll needs.
ConsThere really are no downsides. The service is great at reminding to submit payroll and giving exact numbers to expect before submitting.
August 15, 2019
Brad H.
Co-Founder/Chief Janitor
Restaurants, Unspecified
July 2, 2018

“I LOVE Gusto! Gusto is pleasant to use and takes care of soo many things I don't want to worry about”

Overall1- Saves the headache of having no idea where to start with many accounting and HR functions of your business: No business owner actually enjoys worrying about all of those things. Gusto takes many of the functions that are most confusing/frustrating as a business owner and does them for you so you feel confidence that you aren't missing anything and it's done right. 2- Saves time: It automates many of the functions that shouldn't ever be done manually. And because of that I don't have to do as much or I don't have to pay as much for routine services that don't add value to my business. 3- Saves money: As a startup, you feel like you need to figure out a lot of things a normal business would normally just pay for because you can't afford it. Gusto is affordable enough that it's doable for a young company all while doing enough work that it's easy to justify the cost, which many services fail to do.
ProsIt's SIMPLE!!! One of few products/software I unequivocally love! Most every business owner hates doing tedious accounting, payroll and HR work that takes away valuable time from their being able to work on what's most important, their business. Gusto takes care of Federal tax payments, calculations, payroll setup, and a number of other things that are a black hole to me and makes it all feel manageable. If I want to add a new employee, I just click to set up a new employee and Gusto walks you and the employee step by step through everything that needs to be done. And for far cheaper than paying an accounting firm! I also love their playfulness and marketing. They make using their service truly a pleasure to use at every touchpoint.
ConsI can't say this about many software that I use, but I have loved absolutely everything about Gusto. I can't say enough about it. Maybe my only complaint is that they don't take care of legal and other stuff I really dislike doing.
July 2, 2018
Media Production, 1-10 employees
September 10, 2019

“Simply the best”

OverallI've tried so many other payroll packages. Gusto is the quickest to setup and maintain.
ProsEase of use to run payroll for both Employees and Contractors. They also have an awesome employee feedback service, which allows me to get a pulse on how the company is running directly from the employees themselves.
ConsIt's a bit pricy but totally worth it if you want a simplified easy to use solution.
September 10, 2019
Miriam M.
Accounting, Unspecified
July 28, 2016

“Want to hug Gusto”

ProsI am a bookkeeper, but I hate payroll. Hate it! It's confusing, and there are a lot of regulations, and a lot of paperwork. Gusto's online system makes it more clear than any other system I've seen, and in fact, sometimes I use it to clean up messes that other payroll services have made. I haven't seen any errors yet for my clients, and when I call about something, I've always gotten a good and useful answer. Also handy to include contractor payments for small consulting firms. Employees and contractors like the online access to pay stubs and so on.
ConsSome things are a little inflexible, due to it being a piece of software rather than a service. So, for example, you can't tell it to add $100 to someone's paycheck once a month for a transportation allowance. Rather, you have to do $50 each paycheck. This works fine if you do payroll monthly or bi-monthly, but if you're on a 2-week system, you end up adding it manually each time. Anyway, just a few issues like that. I think their contractor system is limited and a bit expensive - I would love to add a way to be clearer about invoice numbers and other memo/description issues.
Recommendations to other buyersWhen recommending a payroll service, I look at cost-per-employee, size of company, availability of someone relatively knowledgable to manage payroll in the company (or me if that's what the client wants). I think Gusto is great for small companies with just a few employees and a few contractors. I would highly recommend it for household services (babysitters, cleaners, etc) and for consultants. It's not a highly hand-on service (self-serve) so if you need lots of assistance or don't want to bother yourself with payroll maintenance, it might not be for you.
July 28, 2016
Wil S.
Marketing Software Admin
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
August 26, 2019

“Modern Day Payroll”

ProsGusto is just on another level when it comes to payroll and personal information. To be able to access your pay, benefits, time off and view your 401K all from your account would be unheard of a couple of years back. I am able to easily go in and access all my info whenever I want without the hassle of approval or mailing anything which made moving for me stress-free. They're even creative with their fun facts of what you've been paid all year could have gotten you.
ConsNo negatives I can think of with Gusto other than the fact that I wish they existed in my life sooner. Then again I did come from a job where I need my paystubs mailed to me which was caveman technology to me.
August 26, 2019
SHEILA J.
Construction, 1-10 employees
July 1, 2019

“Gusto? They didn't need my business any longer.”

OverallHad a good experience until we had to suspend payroll due to a lull in business (you keep getting billed whether you run payroll or not). The stipulation is you have to reactivate within the quarter if you want to continue using Gusto. Well, the end of the quarter fell on a Sunday and trying to reactivate first thing Monday morning did not work. You cannot reactivate your account for another year. Makes absolutely no sense that a few hours made that much of a difference. The were willing to lose a customer and let me walk away instead of reactivating the account.
ProsEasy to use and navigate. Customer service is friendly and helpful. Reports are clear and concise.
ConsWait time for customer service is lengthy and usually requires a call back which they prompt for automatically or disconnect if the wait time is over 10 minutes. Monthly invoices are hard to find if you don't use the link provided in your email notification.
July 1, 2019
Karla G.
Accounting, 1-10 employees
September 8, 2018

“Super Payroll Solution for Small Businesses”

OverallThis is my go-to solution for any client whose payroll we are involved with. We use it ourselves and highly recommend to small businesses. If you go through your accountant there is a discount on the subscription price. The subscription can be paid by the client or the accountant.
ProsThis is a cloud based solution with a subscription price that is less than the big payroll companies. I like that you can have employees "onboard" themselves by filling in their personal information and bank information for direct deposit. This increases accuracy and preserves the employee security. I also like that the business HAS to have the payroll tax payments withdrawn with the payroll submission thus enforcing compliance. Gusto does all the Payroll Tax Return fillings, you can log in and get them. There is no need to print or deliver paychecks, which saves money and time - employees can get their stubs and W-2 by download. It integrates with your accounting software for automated recording, another time saver that increases accuracy. Support is excellent, and they deal with any notices resulting from transactions on their watch. If payroll is the same each time you can set to autopay!
ConsSome of my clients would like Gusto to submit garnishments or retirement payments, but that is not something they do.
September 8, 2018
Liz B.
Creative Department Manager
December 28, 2018

“Finally! A quick and easy resource for paychecks.”

ProsIt is so hard to find a simple platform with a clean interface when it comes Payroll but Gusto has achieved that. I have used several different programs and Gusto is by far my favorite because of the ease of use. I also love the email they send on payday that says "Hooray! You got paid today." Gusto seems to know what the typical employee wants when they log into their payroll application - as soon as you sign in there is a big blue button that says "See your last paystub", super helpful and saves time! You can also easily access your PTO time, year to date statistics on your wages, taxes, net salary, hours worked, and other helpful statistics. On just a small fun note, their graphics on their website are adorable.
ConsHonestly I do not have anything that I dislike about this software. It is incredibly simple and reliable.
December 28, 2018
Neha T.
Tax Consultant
Management Consulting, 10,001+ employees
June 19, 2018

“Awesome payroll support for small businesses.”

ProsGusto is a perfect and easy to use payroll portal both for employer & employees. It has a self on boarding system, for employers to send new hires their offer letter and paper work through its portal. Employees can easily update their address, direct deposit info, withholding all in one place. Previous month's pay stubs can also be accessed easily. Employees can easily load W2 directly into turbo tax through its website. One can also keep track on the taxes paid. Gusto also offers detailed description and helpful tips of required information to be inputted. Its editing process is also very simple & straightforward when any changes need to be made to employee info or business features.
ConsGusto seems overwhelmed and unprepared for the renewal period. Also there is no invoice function, so contractors cannot submit an invoice and have their managers approve it. A separate system for contractors for invoicing needs to be maintained. Also Direct Deposit should be little faster. Customer service is also not that good.
Individual & Family Services, 11-50 employees
April 16, 2018

“Gusto changed my world!!”

OverallGusto saves me so much time and worry. I know that our benefits are managed correctly and that we are always in compliance. I also know that everything on the payroll side is taken care of and if there is an issue or mistake the super amazing customer support team is ready to help!
ProsWe love using Gusto for not only our payroll but they also manage all of our benefits. Gusto managing our benefits has been such a life saver! I don't have to think about being in compliance anymore I know that they are keeping everything up to date. I get reminders when it's time to run payroll, when new employees need to sign up for benefits and when we need to renew our benefits.
ConsGusto has wonderful customer support the only downside for me is that when you call in you are always talking to a new person, sometimes that can make it a little challenging to efficiently get the answer or help I'm looking for, but they will help until the job is done!
April 16, 2018
Nicole B.
HR Director
Computer Software, Unspecified
June 30, 2015

“Head of Business Improvmenent and HR”

ProsSupport. They see every issue through as if you're the most important or the only client. They're thorough and they tolerate you if you're on a learning curve (we're an Australian business setting up our US operations and health etc benefits is a new and unnatural thing for a business to grapple with). The software is flawless and usability is perfect. We run our payroll in a few clicks, and that's because we don't choose autopilot. Used to run benefits thru Zenefits who made a lot of errors, and zenpayroll stepped in without hesitation or complaint and ran every correction. It's complete, not half cooked. It's how software and support should be done.
ConsWe are a global business, and things are done differently in other countries for payroll. For instance, we don't need to go thru the pain and inefficiently of supporting benefits in other countries. Plus there is different legislation and tax setups etc. I wish zenpayroll was configured to support payroll in other countries so companies like ours growing elsewhere could benefit from One-payroll without considering the bigger and clunkier vendors. If you're growing, most likely you're growing globally or planning to. Otherwise it's perfect.
Recommendations to other buyersYou pay for what you get. Free options, even ones with reputations for fast(est) growth, give you poor service and make a lot of errors costing you time and money, and a lot of embarrassment with employees. Zenpayroll on the other hand (although still affordable, not free) will hold your hand thru setup, support you thru every tax question and submission, streamline everything electronically and answer your calls and emails swiftly. Look for genuine, don't be fooled by promises of the marketplace.
June 30, 2015
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
September 16, 2019

“Love Gusto”

OverallIt is an engaging payroll software and we really enjoy using it.
ProsThe best part about Gusto is the simple layout, to the employee. It is fresh, fun and easy to navigate. There are animations and you can really store a ton of useful information on the employee page, including pay history, position information and tax info. Also, the bi-weekly pay email is fun and energizing.
ConsThe only issue I have ever encountered with Gusto is the way the paycheck renders when you click to view it. It often expands past the edge of the screen and makes it hard to view. Luckily, there are a few ways to review this information.
September 16, 2019
valerie c.
manager
Staffing and Recruiting, 201-500 employees
September 25, 2019

“Gusto gets payroll done”

OverallSo far gusto has been a good experience. The customer service has been really helpful at answering questions I have on the fly.
ProsI like that all employees have access to their gusto accounts and can change their personal information and look at paystubs on their time instead of mine.
ConsI do not like that when pay stubs and check are printed out they are not in any particular order. I would prefer them to be alphabetically. I also do not like that the pay roll menu does not allow to make multiple payrolls at one time. So if I run my direct deposit one day, when I run my checks, it is on a separate payroll as "offcycle"
September 25, 2019
Robert D.
Vice President of MSP relations
July 11, 2019

“Give it some Gusto”

OverallGusto is a wonderful product. the integrations with services and the ability to customize your W4 digitally when things change is great. The system is smooth with no hiccups. The benefits section is great. having the ability to see contributions at a glance helps. the only lacking feature is Calendar Synchronization to know when people are off and on.
ProsGreat Time Clock feature. Way better than our old choice. the system is pretty, fluid, and we dig the fun facts they include in the submenus. I did not know i could buy that many bananas.(only users will get it.)
ConsI don't have any dislikes for gusto. It works great. the only issue is it does not give wider access to see multi location sites employee schedules.
July 11, 2019
Lisa H.
PC/Network technician and business owner
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
April 12, 2019

“Excellent payroll service for small businesses”

OverallI have used three other payroll services, and Gusto is much better than any of them for my business. I spend a few minutes each pay period and my employees get paid. I spend a little more time to add an employee, change a rate of pay, or remove an employee who quits, but all of those processes take a minimal amount of effort to provide me with a lot of peace of mind.
ProsIt is so easy to set up and use! On the regulatory and government side, it takes care of all filings and payments for federal and state taxes and unemployment, and it sends email reminders when I need to do something. The user interface, online help, and email help are all friendly, lighthearted, and unintimidating, but accurate and efficient, too. I have used this software for over three years, and I've never had any problem that wasn't solved quickly.
ConsThe reports are a little hard to navigate and they don't offer enough options; however, they can be exported as CSV files, so they can be customized further in a spreadsheet application like Excel. I'm having some difficulty with an employee advance that is still trying to be deducted, even though it was paid back last year, but I'm sure support can help me as soon as I get around to asking. Otherwise, great software.
April 12, 2019
Daniel Shatzkes CEO E.
Founder/CEO
Music, 1-10 employees
November 29, 2018

“Gusto makes payroll stupid easy”

OverallGusto makes payroll incredibly easy, makes integrating with Quickbooks simple, and makes the entire payroll process very transparent. I can add bonuses or commissions to any employee for any payroll period and I get an easy breakdown of where all the money that is drawn out of my business account is going. Any time I've needed help or support Gusto has been fantastic either on the phone, via email or with Live Chat. I don't know how other payroll companies do things but I know that I love Gusto.
ProsTaking care of payroll each month takes literally just seconds. My company is small, so maybe a larger company with a lot more employees might take a little longer. But probably no more than a couple of minutes. Plus, I love how Gusto gives an entire breakdown of what is being paid and to who so you can see exactly how much the employee gets and how much does to his/her taxes, and also how much in payroll taxes the company is paying.
ConsThe monthly price is the same regardless of whether or not you use a lot of the extra benefits and offerings. For example, Gusto offers a way to offer employees 401k benefits or health benefits. It would be nice if there were a slightly less expensive option for micro-businesses that don't necessarily make use of all those benefits.
November 29, 2018
cary c.
sales
June 19, 2018

“I think this is one of the best software programs if you have to do payroll and filing”

OverallAwesome software for keeping your payroll on point and it also allows employees, contractors etc etc to look at all their past payroll history any time they want. You can handle all kinds of situations with this software including notifications with money deposits, or if you need to turn in a time off notice you could do it through this software,
ProsFirst of all I believe Gusto is more user friendly than any type of Quickbooks related software program. This program will literally keep your payroll organized and on point It actually gives me the exact amount of payroll that I owe every other week which helps me stay on track and eases up some of my frustrations crunching numbers and physically doing it myself. It literally does everything for you once you have the specific information entered, especially filing and organizing your payroll
ConsIt is priced a little bit more than similar programs but that is ok because I know for a fact with everything you ever buy that you will always get what you pay for. You want to be cheap, you get cheap software that you have to replace or winds up being junk, you want to spend a little extra your not paying out the butt later on new software.
Christine S.
Construction, 1-10 employees
September 23, 2019

“Great product!”

OverallGusto is great. They are very helpful when you have questions. They have lots of items that you can add on in the system to help build a benefits package and it is painless.
ProsGusto is great. It integrates with our accounting software and time keeping software. Makes running payroll a breeze.
ConsNothing, so far it seems to be great and has been growing with our company.
September 23, 2019
Automotive, 1-10 employees
June 5, 2019

“Gusto is the Hero Payroll System We All Need”

ProsGusto is so easy to use and so user-friendly! We had a previous payroll system before Gusto and every payroll cycle we had to wrestle with the system to make sure pay was out on time. Gusto is so much better! It sends updates and alerts directly to your email - our old system forced you to log in to see an alert so unless you logged in every day, you would never know if something was off!
ConsThe only complaint we have about Gusto is that the price is very competitive until you start adding more features. Even the base package of Gusto has quite a few features which work great for us but I can see how if you want a more complex, intricate system, the price could go up pretty quickly.
June 5, 2019
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
February 21, 2019

“Finally a payroll system that anyone can use and understand!”

OverallPayroll is no longer such a confusing and tedious process. I feel like I am back in control of my company finances with Gusto.
ProsI absolutely love their support team. I have encountered many questions and potential problems on my end over the years, and their support has been super quick to reply to any of my concerns. They will go out of their way to help you navigate your payroll issues. Gusto is very easy to use and it gives me a safe and secure way to promptly fill out required forms and meet tax deadlines. I feel like my payroll process is essentially on auto-pilot now, so I'm saving time and money. The checklist approach to setting up accounts makes things very easy right from the start and the dashboard lets you know what actions are needed.
ConsI wish I would have discovered Gusto sooner.
Raghu Y.
Marketing and developer
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
December 23, 2018

“Great product for payroll ”

OverallGusto Zen payroll does everything for my business, this software is face is getting access to high-quality, yet affordable, software, particularly in HR for our business, it as given a huge demand for my business, it can be used in health sector also, thanks for such a wonderful product, gusto gives a lot more packages for your needs, it's an ideal management online payroll gives our business to gain profits...
ProsGusto provides a cloud-based payroll, benefits, and human resource management solution for businesses ,Gusto helps in handling payments to employees and contractors and saves time, it can manage electronically as of paper work to the client needs, Gusto benefits administration and compliance management platform. Designed to serve mainly small businesses across world , gusto mainly works for payroll system and human resource for your business i strongly recommend this software it's number one product for your businesses
ConsGusto lacks one con, everything is good but it doesn't provide mobile app to easily access thorough it for Android or ios, website is good and easliy maintained, try to improve this, over all no issues...
December 23, 2018
Beth M.
Owner/ Founder
Consumer Services, 11-50 employees
October 10, 2017

“Gusto is a miracle tool for payroll!!!! ”

OverallThis software has made payroll and hiring such a breeze! I used to dread new hire processing- but with Gusto the new hire do all of the work! And the interface makes it totally easy for them. =)
ProsI am obsessed with this product and the support staff that comes with it! I have tried Intuit and ADP before finding Gusto. Gusto was a total game changer for me. The software is easy to use and really makes payroll a breeze for those of us who have businesses to run! You can upload a CSV file with that week's hours and any other payments and BOOM- payroll is done. I also like that they give me the exact amount I owe each week for that payroll- no monthly or quarterly surprises to budget for. And I have opted to roll in my workers comp payments as well. SO EASY. They also offer AMAZING onboarding options that mean every time I hire, I only enter a new employee's email address and they do the rest. I then verify that things look ok against their ID, e-sign the i9 and it's back to business for me. Everything looks modern, fresh and fun- and that makes my company look polished and put together! I literally do not know how we managed while using the other companies. We love Gusto!!!!
ConsIt might be a tiny bit more expensive than some of the other guys, but those dollars are completely worth the time saving and error avoiding features included in Gusto. And their customer service far exceeds the other companies as well.
October 10, 2017
Facilities Services, 51-200 employees
August 22, 2019

“Best payroll software i've used by far”

OverallThis has helped me organize and group all my payroll and benefits so easily and in proper order i would be lost without this software
ProsIt not only makes doing payroll a brease, which for me was something i dreaded most, but it has all your company's benefits at hand for easy access. Makes a task that used to be such a stress so simple and easy to accomplish, i can't imagine going back to doing payroll without this software.
ConsI can't think of one con the only thing that would make this software better would be if it were free.
Ethan K.
Customer Support Specialist + Account Manager
January 30, 2019

“Gusto makes tracking my pay a breeze!”

OverallI wish my previous employers had used Gusto so I could have been introduced to it sooner. I will definitely be a little upset if I ever change jobs and my new employer doesn't use Gusto. It's just so handy and does EXACTLY what I need it to do.
ProsThere's so much I like about Gusto. Being able to track my paychecks digitally has helped me budget properly for the first time in my life. It was easy to set up direct deposit, and even get my paycheck split into different accounts. We also just recently switched to Gusto's time tracker for clocking in and out. Taxes are ramping up, and Gusto allows me to view my W2's online and even integrates directly with TurboTax to import my info quickly and easily. I filed my taxes in 15 minutes thanks to Gusto.
ConsIt would be nice if Gusto had a dedicated app for mobile phones to use the time tracker for clocking in and out, as right now you can only use the website.
January 30, 2019
Amy T.
Retail, 1-10 employees
November 14, 2018

“Makes payroll easy for a newbie”

ProsAs a small business owner, I just hired my first couple employees last year. I was completely new to the whole thing, and was a bit intimidated by all the requirements of doing payroll. After looking into a few payroll software options, I went with Gusto and am glad I did. It walked me through everything, in a very user-friendly way. It has helpful articles about the various requirements of payroll taxes, steps for hiring employees, forms to fill out, etc. The setup took a bit of time, but was a pretty reasonable process. Now that it's all set up, I don't have to spend hardly any time at all on payroll. I spend maybe 10-15 minutes every two weeks on payroll, and then don't have to think about it. Gusto handles all the payroll taxes (filing, paying, etc), and employee direct deposits. It honestly couldn't be easier.
ConsI had a little bit of a problem getting my state taxes account set up. For some reason, it was giving me error messages about account numbers and things. Customer service was able to help me through it, and figure out what the issue was on their end. That was the only part of the process that wasn't totally painless. The only thing I wish this software had is a timecard functionality.
November 14, 2018
Internet, 11-50 employees
September 16, 2018

“An HR-solution revelation for employees”

OverallI wish the HR solutions at my previous companies had been as helpful as Gusto has been. So many other providers create such needless headaches when looking for the most basic employment (pay, benefits, insurance, 401k, etc.) information. Gusto's been a revelation.
ProsAs an employee, it's been such a revelation using Gusto. It's so easy to get so many HR-related things done (check pay stubs, change tax exemption status, see benefits, etc.) in a friendly, well-designed solution that it's mind-boggling that some of the older, entrenched HR solutions have been getting away with such a painful UX for so long. It's one of those companies where they really seem to lean into their brand promise in every little interaction... even when I emailed them to ask a question about COBRA coverage, they responded sooner than expected with a friendly, personalized, helpful response. It felt like I was talking to someone who represented the company and genuinely cared about my experience with them. (Unlike, say, an outsourced call center person.)
ConsI don't know what Gusto costs relative to the competition, so I don't know what the ROI will be for you, but frankly I haven't run into any frustrations with Gusto, yet. It's been nothing but pleasant surprises.
September 16, 2018
Robert D.
Accountant
July 27, 2016

“Cheapest, fastest, best service”

ProsTheir pricing is not only competitive, but scales linearly with the size of your organization - beating many other services handily price-wise for smaller companies, especially if you run bi-weekly or weekly payrolls. The ability to pay Gusto by month rather than by the payroll gives me flexibility in paying our employees more frequently without added cost. To top it all off, their customer service reflects their aim of taking on their relatively enormous competitors - they have an incredible support team.
ConsThey don't show net pay until after you hit submit. It makes grossing up bonuses a pain, but that's ultimately not a big deal. Plus, for how few times I've had to do it, it remains a possibility that they've got this functionality now and I'm just not aware of it. The area for viewing prior payrolls also bothers me, as I'd prefer something less flashy and more strictly functional (don't gate viewing prior payrolls by making me click to scroll the list down, Gusto, it's aesthetically pleasing but functionally it's an unnecessary hassle).
Recommendations to other buyersTake price into account. Some companies won't share their price upfront, typically because they can't compete on price. Contrast that with Gusto, where you pay monthly, they're upfront about their costs, and you're almost always paying less than other payroll services which charge by individual payroll. There's a reason other payroll services gate their pricing behind a lead funnel. They want you to trust that becuase they're larger, they'll be better, and disrupt your straightforward research in the name of personalizing your "quote" (hint: it's all for show). Bigger being better isn't always the case, and you shouldn't trust that it's the case without doing your research and evaluating your needs against the services offered. For a small business, Gusto pretty much beats the competition handily. I've recommended it to friends using other services to save money and simplify admin for their small businesses, and they've all enjoyed it so far.
July 27, 2016
Alex L.
Marketing and Advertising, Unspecified
May 1, 2015

“There's a reason why they call it ZenPayroll!”

OverallAfter trying out the Big Guys is payroll I was lucky enough to stumble upon Zen. Sign up was easy and implementing it into our business was a breeze. Everything can be done online so it saved a number of hours getting important data into the system. They also have an amazing contractor portal where independent professionals, temp staff and other workers can see their whole payroll history. My favorite part about ZenPayroll (other than the incredibly great support) is that they handle all of the filing for you. Working with the EDD can be a paperwork nightmare and ZenPayroll takes all the pain out of it. I love getting our quarterly filing notices that say "No action is required from you at this time." It's like having a dedicated person to handle all of that boring, yet necessary and legal paperwork of hiring, taxes and payments, who always knows what to do and when. I truly believe no one does payroll for small business better than ZenPayroll.
ProsQuick. Easy. Efficient. Completely cloud based. All the filing and heavy lifting done for you. Great user interface and paying employees and contractors is super easy. I also really like the price. You get everything for one flat rate, and you only pay for the employees that you have and the contractors you pay for that month.
ConsI can't say that I have "cons" with ZenPayroll, but a neat feature would be to add custom check printing. Currently if you have quickbooks they have it setup, but it would be neat if you could order checks from ZenPayroll to run through your company printer that were formatted just the way you needed them. We have our own template that works now, but if they had their own checks that would be better. I would also add multiple pay rates for employees (like regular rate vs training rate) but I believe this might be somewhere on their roadmap.
May 1, 2015
Jennifer F.
Owner dentist
Hospital & Health Care, 1-10 employees
August 20, 2019

“Love Gusto!”

OverallI definitely recommend Gusto, both for larger and smaller companies. It seems like they are always making efforts to improve and add new functions to their service.
ProsI used to use Paycheck and had nothing but issues with them, nevermind the high fees. Gusto is incredibly easy to use, has friendly customer service who actually resolves issues in a timely manner and is reasonably priced
ConsDuring ng busy season it can be difficult to receive quick responses to questions. Usually hold times are too long so I will just email and it takes a day or two for a response. Still better than Paychex.
August 20, 2019
Claire P.
Technical Recruiter
Internet, 1001-5000 employees
March 18, 2019

“Gusto staff can't keep up with demand ”

OverallI think Gusto has great ideas and will eventually get there. There needs to be a better system in place for pushing data to insurance carriers. Gusto needs better communication around what is happening and what the timeline will be for fixes. That takes more staff and a better trained staff.
ProsIt's nice to have a benefits dashboard and payroll system in one. Gusto makes the new hire paperwork process so simple and reminds me of birthdays and anniversaries.
ConsOur benefit renewal was an absolute nightmare. There were tons of mistakes made by the Gusto team. It's obvious that information needed by carriers is being manually typed by someone at Gusto. Employees names were spelled incorrectly on insurance cards, addresses were wrong, the contribution table (company vs employee contributions) were completely off. We had to restart open enrollment twice for a company of 35 people. As the head of HR, I was embarrassed.
March 18, 2019
Nichole P.
Founder + CEO
Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees
February 17, 2019

“Perfect for start ups”

OverallOverall it's a valuable option for businesses just starting out that want the features a corporation would have, but at a great price and with fee limitations.
ProsI love that this payroll software is easy to use, and decently priced for the average startup. It has HR management, payroll and benefits all dolled into one. The interface is well designed and it's enjoyabke for an administrator and for employees to use. One of my favorite, small things about gusto is that each payday you get an email that says "woohoo you got paid" and a paystub is in your inbox waiting for you. As a business owner, you can automate payroll which is a necessity because you have a lot on your plate already running an entire business. Gusto has your typical year end forms and connects/integrates with other HR platforms that focus on non-payroll activities so it's a win win.
ConsGustos benefits are only available in certain states, so if you're lucky you can use this feature, and they are rolling out more but it takes time.
February 17, 2019
Yessenia P.
Leasing Agent
Management Consulting, 11-50 employees
February 2, 2019

“Gusto, and my pay. ”

OverallIt definitely solves PTO problems. People in the company not knowing how much they have, because they don't keep track themselves. No worries Gusto does it for you. I think just having an app where you can see what is going on with your pay, break down, and vacation time is amazing. It can even show you what you would make in overtime, double-overtime ect..
ProsI truly like Gusto for a number of reasons. One would be the easily accessible W-2 from my work, that they uploaded on Gusto and gave me immediate access to it. It made it easy to send it off to my accountant to file my taxes. Second would be the breakdown of my paycheck. I can see it every week in the app, and see what I made, what is getting taken out, even how much PTO I occluded that check. Third would be the PTO request. It is super simple, I pick my dates, put on the notes why I am requesting these days off. It then sends it to my Manager, and she can approve it remotely. These are just a few of the top features I love.
ConsNothing. It is simple, easy and that's all I need.
February 2, 2019
Michael Y.
Job Developer
Staffing and Recruiting, 1-10 employees
August 6, 2019

“Gusto is amazing”

ProsGusto is a userfriendly software that is easy to learn. With its new features, I am able to submit my timesheet and input my hours instantly. I also can review my pay stubs, salary, benefits, and anything else that is related to my job! It's super easy to use and I really enjoy using it.
ConsWhen inputting your hours, if your company provides any differential, it'll be confusing on how to input that into Gusto. There is a note setting where I input my hour differential and I would have to notify my supervisor. Maybe this could be something Gusto can include so companies who provide a shift differential can have their employees easily input the information.
August 6, 2019
Alexander J.
Director of Operations
Food & Beverages, 201-500 employees
February 21, 2019

“Gusto: An Integrated HR and Payroll Option Worth Considering”

OverallOverall Gusto has proven to be a valuable tool for HR needs and is powerful enough for most organizations.
ProsGusto integrates all of the time and attendance, HR, Benefits, and Payroll tasks to create a central HR platform. It does a decent job streamlining across each of these HR-related tasks and is a good solution for smaller organizations. Gusto also integrates well with certain third party platforms to help with accounting and other functions.
ConsGusto is a great tool for smaller organizations, but doesn't have fulfill the same level of needs as a more robust HR tool. Like many of these tools the initial setup is cumbersome, but once that is in order things work well.
Janine S.
CEO & Founder
Legal Services, 11-50 employees
December 31, 2018

“Exceptional Customer Support!”

ProsI love that Gusto does all of the HR work for me and that my team can log in anytime to download a past pay. It's easy to make payroll and team member updates and add bonuses or commission on the fly. Any time I've had a problem I've been able to get in touch with a friendly helpful person on the phone immediately and that is SO important with a payroll company!
ConsI sometimes have trouble trying to get tax notices handled properly. I would like a way to enter employee pay by salary and not indicate hourly rate on the paycheck. And I think it would be helpful to enter an end date of a terminated employee but not have to send a physical check for the final pay.
December 31, 2018
Christopher J. F.
Account Executive
Accounting, 1-10 employees
October 17, 2018

“Say goodbye to Toby from the Office and say hi to Gusto”

OverallI get paid through it and it was easy to get myself set up and I help people set up their payroll on it. It's incredibly easy-to-use. Not much I can say after that. Oh and their support is great.
ProsGusto is the easiest, and most user-friendly app to manage people, payroll and benefits. At work, I train people on how to use this product and it takes me under 30 minutes to do so. It's incredibly user-friendly, and if you ever have issues that would typically require an HR person (i.e tricky HR cases), you could reach out to Gusto and they could help you navigate through it as the business owner.
Conshard to say. every company I review is either because I hate them or I love them. In this case, I love Gusto.
October 17, 2018
Edmond L.
Partner Management Associate
Internet, 11-50 employees
September 27, 2018

“Easier than having an accounting department write checks!”

OverallAlthough it's just a way to pay people, it matters a lot to the recipients. It's a neat and clean way to show your employees that you care by making payday (the reason we all show up) a bit easier to understand.
ProsThis service makes it VERY easy for all our employees to see not only when they were paid but a breakdown of their check. The stats offered are really helpful for employees that want to know where every cent goes that's not being directly put in their bank account. Their payday emails are fun. They are colorful, full of charts, and even include a bit of trivia. These fun emails help employees take an extra minute to review their current info so there is complete transparancy between employer and emplyee.
ConsThe only issue I had was already addressed. They would show your paycheck amount in the email. If someone was standing nearby or saw an open email, they might see something you'd rather keep private. They've recently introduced a link at the bottom of the email that will allow one to hide the paycheck amount in future emails.
September 27, 2018
Erin Q.
Accounting Assistant
Accounting, Unspecified
August 29, 2016

“Easy and Flexible Payroll and HR Management”

ProsThis product is very user friendly. It allows you to manage various types of employees in various locations with easy. I could easily manage salaried and hourly employees and it allows hourly employees to enter their own hours. It also allowed employees to set-up their profiles, which saved time on my part in the back-end. Instead of copying a lot of personal information and making constant W-4 updates, the software allows employees to set themselves up with information they know well and make changes that streamline during the payroll process.
ConsSometimes it felt like certain tasks were taking more clicks than necessary to complete. For instance, if I need to change the pay rate for several employees I would go into each one individually, but then once I saved and was ready to update the next profile I would have to go back to the employee screen and then expand the scroll-able list again. It would be nice to easily go back to where I was when making large updates.
Recommendations to other buyersThis is great if you're smaller or newer to the payroll/HR process. The Gusto help team is amazing and are very quick to answer questions, and answer them accurately. The cost savings is wonderful too. You basically pay based on the number of employees you have per month. If you have seasonal operations, this could save you greatly during your off-season months. And when employees are not working they can be temporarily turned off without losing any information with they work for you again the following year.
August 29, 2016
Bryan H.
Vice President, Finance
Executive Office, 51-200 employees
September 11, 2019

“Terrible customer service, average system, Predatory Lender”

OverallThe world has caught up to Gusto. It is just a run of the mill self-service payroll firm. Comparing any self-service firm to a full-service firm, the self-service firm will win on cost, though that is about it. In addition to losing on Customer Service, the constant annoying sales pitches and calls regarding HR benefits as well as the firm charging for simple improvements, such as adding paid-for time tracking is a severe detriment. The fact that it has now morphed into a Payday Lend is the last straw for me. I do not trust Gusto with my firm's or employee's data and am extremely happy that I never moved any healthcare or other benefit systems to their control. I have been with the firm since our beginning, but will be moving on to another system as soon as possible.
ProsThis is one of the many common low-cost self-service payroll solutions. It allows you to pay your Employees and Contractors and handles virtually all of the taxes and processing of payments to the taxing authorities. The interface is on par with the many other UX/UI's in the industry. As is industry standard, Employees are emailed all end of year documents automatically. The company also offers access to two-day payroll processing.
ConsCustomer Service is terrible - an absolute nightmare. When mistakes are made by Gusto, they are hard, if not impossible to fix and/or get them to admit to. The firm has attempted (and mostly failed to my knowledge) to enter the higher margin HR platform and benefits fold. The firm has also just begun predatory lending at rates advertised as 1% which are actually as high as 45.63% (per their own fine print). The Customer Service in this area (from my limited exposure) provides misleading at best and false at worst information. This used to be a great firm, but there was an initial turning point where it began to focus more on marketing than the system, which then led to the constant sales calls for HR and other insurance services, which has led now, to Payday Lending. There had been an Intuit integration issue that seems to have finally been solved. Additionally, the firm has the same problem with missed payments and 941 misfilings that other full-service platforms have, however the customer service is severely lacking and resolutions take forever. The platform also can not handle an employee working in two states (more common in the North East). The cost for paying contractors is too high which limits the usefulness of the system overall - forcing a company to keep Employee Payroll, Contractor Payments, and expense reimbursements on separate systems. I have also received tax filings from another firm as their own CSR system combined two threads and had to speak to the a
September 11, 2019
Annie S.
Director, Sales & Marketing
Human Resources, 11-50 employees
January 27, 2019

“Great payroll tool for a small business!”

OverallGusto is a great alternative for small businesses where cost is an issue. This is a low priced tool which allows you to avoid spending high costs on other premium payroll and benefits systems.
ProsWe use Gusto for our payroll needs as we are a small business unit. It has been super easy to onboard new employees and get them set up. Our feedback from staff is that they love this tool. They can easily access their paystubs, make changes and view their benefits, time off etc. This is a great low-cost option for self-service payroll. The interface is very fun, friendly and intuitive. Gusto has a great UI and they always include fun facts and images on their home dashboard page. I would definitely recommend this product!
ConsUnfortunately, we did have an issue with customer service and our new benefits set up. We were told it would be set up and ready to go only to find out that we were misinformed and it would take an additional month to get the benefits set up. It could have been a one time erroneous issue but it did set us back a month and cause some employees to be upset. I think they could improve on their customer service wait time (Monday morning wait times are the worst).
January 27, 2019
Nolan H.
Financial Manager
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
January 16, 2018

“Very easy-to-use, simple software that does everything I really need it to. ”

OverallLike I said, I'm not sure what changed, but when we first started with Gusto (mid-2017), the response rate on emails were fantastic. Now, the only time I can get a response via email is if I submit a question and end up calling multiple days later. By the time my email is responded to, I typically have the answer from some other source or from a phone call. Good software with the potential to be great.
Pros--Very easy to use overall --The dashboard is nice, especially with the notifications --Love the intertwined tax forms --Ability to customize reports --Number of different reports you can run --For the most part, support is very knowledgeable
ConsThe only con I really have is that Gusto used to be so good about responding to email and questions submitted online in a timely manner. Now, I feel like to get anyone to respond, I have to call which isn't a bad thing, but most of the time the person on the other end can't help me directly. They typically have to pass me off or get back to me via email which is what I would like to happen from the get-go.
January 16, 2018
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
September 29, 2019

“Gusto is quite possibly the best payroll/HR system out there for smaller companies ”

OverallVery easy to use, customer service is top-notch, and although the price is a little high it's worth it.
ProsEasy to use portal for payroll on both the employee and the employer sides. Has plenty of integrations - TurboTax, Quickbooks, Xero...
ConsIt can be considered pretty expensive for some small companies. Can have long wait times/hold for customer service.
September 29, 2019
Johnny A.
Director of Development and Operations
Museums and Institutions, 11-50 employees
May 24, 2019

“Nearly perfect HR but an amazing value”

OverallDespite the lack of some features, we've been with Gusto for several years and the value and the customer support more than make up for it.
ProsGusto is beautiful, easy, and has all of the basics. Personally, I don't have time to spend more than a few hours each week on HR but Gusto makes running payroll and onboarding new staff quick; keeping our paperwork to a minimum; and handles benefits like a pro.
ConsGusto is missing a few features that would make it a perfect product. Timesheets are *very* basic. Reports can be a little cumbersome. And there's no feature or integration for performance management or applicant tracking.
May 24, 2019
Mike M.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
February 15, 2019

“Gusto: The Best Payroll For Small Business ”

OverallWe have been using Gusto since it was ZenPayroll and I wouldn't think of using any other product. Gusto makes payroll simple, integrates with Quickbooks and gives our company a clear transparent payroll process. Employees and clients can look at past payroll history effortlessly and transparently. An asset to any business.
ProsGusto sets out everything in a clear concise manner. It has an easy to use interface which means less time concentrating on payroll and more time concentrating on projects and the needs of our clients.
ConsWe haven't found anything that we disliked about Gusto or about the customer support. I can't say this about any other product we use in our business.
February 15, 2019
Staffing and Recruiting, 1001-5000 employees
August 21, 2018

“Payroll services for small business”

OverallThe biggest benefit it gives me as a small business is the ability to not spend time on worrying about payroll, taxes, documentation, etc.
ProsI like Gusto because it links to another service I use for time cards, it's trustworthy and my team can upload their own direct deposit info, pull their w-2 and change their w-4 as needed helping me to avoid the need to be full HR while trying to run a business. It sends you several reminders to run payroll before the deadline so you can meet your team's timing expectations. They file documents for you with the State and Fed government as well.
ConsThe software requires a pull of the payroll funds from your business account for 5 days in advance for contractors and for full-time employees as well - at least until you build up some "credit-worthiness" then it goes down to 2 days in advance. Also I wish there was a way to set up a calendar notice of when to have payroll approved to download it to your calendar without manually entering it.
August 21, 2018
Michael R.
President / CEO
June 13, 2018

“If you like the pain of Payroll Don't hire gusto! They make payroll seem non-existent!”

OverallAn all in one solution for payroll has saved me time and an insane amount of money. I can't say enough about how excited I am that technology like this exists.
ProsI love, love, love that i can export emplyee hours from T-Sheets into Gusto with just a few clicks. I love that my employees can go onto Gusto and make changes to their own account for tax purposes and time off requests.
ConsThis isin't really a Con but since i've only been using it for a few years but I can't help but wonder if everything is getting done. Customer support reassures me that the IRS is getting my payments but they make everything soo easy it seems to good to be true!
June 13, 2018
Rachael B.
Executive director
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
September 24, 2019

“I won't use anything else for payroll”

Overall Instead of spending hours running payroll, calculating taxes, and completing confusing compliance reports, I can actually work on my business and let gusto take care of everything else
ProsGusto takes care of direct deposit, tax payments and calculations, compliance filings, and end of year forms for employees. You plug in the numbers and information about your employee and they take care of literally everything. It's amazing. Gusto takes care of direct deposits, tax payments, and calculations, compliance filings, and end-of-the-year forms for employees. You plug in the numbers in the information about your employee and they take care of literally everything. It's amazing
ConsThere was nothing about it I did not like. Gusto is your one stop shop for all things payroll and compliance.
September 24, 2019
Marisa P.
Paralegal
Legal Services, 11-50 employees
August 22, 2019

“Payroll has never been easier!”

OverallMy overall experience has been incredible. Thank you Gusto!
ProsBeing in a firm that is growing rapidly I love that I don't have to stress about making sure everyone is paid on time and that I am able to review their submitted requests for sick leave or vacation. I love that Gusto now gives the employees of the firm the option to track their time! This has been one of my most favorite features of Gusto! Gusto continuously amazes me with their awesome updates.
ConsI've been using Gusto for years now and I have not encountered any problems thus far! Keep up the good work Gusto!