Act! Ratings

Overall
3.5/5

About Act!

Act! makes it easy for businesses to grow, delivering proven CRM and powerful Marketing Automation - the ultimate toolset. The Act! portfolio also includes Act! 365, purpose-built for Microsoft Office 365 users looking for simple CRM with integrated email marketing. For over 30 years, Act! has been a pioneer in the small & midsized business software market and today offers the rich functionality, unparalleled flexibility, and exceptional value that enables a perfect fit for every customer. Learn more about Act!

Thom F.
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
August 1, 2019

“Very versatile”

OverallI have been using it non stop since the earliest versions - that should tell you that I am very satisfied with it.
ProsI have been using ACT for over 25 years and have seen lots of versions. I like its flexibility and that I can put users into multiple groups, It would be impossible to design a program that did everything everybody wanted it to but ACT comes close. I use it for sales, marketing, personal groups I coordinate, keeping track of some of my customers' customers. It can interact with Outlook and Google's calendar if you use either of those programs. I am a Premium member. The bad side to that is it is a little pricey - about $0 a month. The good side is that I always have the most up to date version. The customer support is wonderful if you are a premium member. Whenever Microsoft Windows has an update a lot of my programs need some adjusting. ACT requires the SQL to restart but that is a simple fix. If/when I have had issues I couldn't fix I just made a call and their support team was terrific in helping me. I like the fact that it is cloud based so I can access it on my tablet or cell phone or any computer anywhere. At my office I use the offline version and simply update the sync to the cloud. I have it set to update overnight also. One of the features I like best is the history. It is great to be able to look back to meetings, calls etc to see what I said, did etc. The library of forms is very useful also - create a form, letter - whatever - and you have a pre printed template you can utilize for multiple clients or for just one. It holds tons of contacts also.
ConsI wish it had more options for the ID/Status cells. The group function sort of does that but not like I need it to. Having 3, 4, 5 or more ID/Status cells would be very useful. Most of my clients fall into more than one category.
August 1, 2019
Music, 501-1000 employees
July 30, 2019

“Customer relationship management in a neat little package!”

OverallAct has become a valuable database of information for our teams, storing all manner of customer and company information that we can utilise for various means. It is a valuable asset for us and will no doubt continue to be in the future.
ProsThere are multiple benefits to using Act as reported by our users. The Act database allows for a large quantity of information to be stored, meaning we were able to decommission several other systems holding various bits of customer data by merging it into Act. We have found pricing to be competitive on a per-licence basis which suits us as a small team working within a non-profit organisation. Act makes it easy for users to update already stored customer/company information, so we always have up-to-date data for contacting, addresses, etc. Communications to customers/companies are tracked in Act so other members of the department can see who has communicated with who, and what the correspondence was - this is useful if a member of staff is off and another needs to pick up some workload. On the technical side, updates and hotfixes are provided regularly and it is relatively easy to install these during periods of downtime. The UI is easy to navigate, with clearly labelled menus and an in-built help area.
ConsWe have found it somewhat difficult to integrate Act with our current systems and have resorted to manually exporting CSVs with information to import into our systems. This is a legacy process and may have been improved upon however, we haven't looked into this. We have also had to purchase add-ins to enable certain features such as opportunities tracking, but Act plays well with these add-ons, so this is not too much of an issue for us. From an admin's perspective, it has proven difficult to set up an automatic installation that works with our MDT deployments, but we roll out images with Act on rarely, so this isn't too much of an issue. Perhaps in future, updates could be made to the UI to make it look a little less dated and bring it up to clean, modern, standards.
July 30, 2019
Jonathan M.
I.T. Administrator
Legal Services, 51-200 employees
May 21, 2019

“Act! is a flexible tool to track data the way you want to see it.”

OverallAct allows us to manage a vast database of over 85,000 contacts and 15,000 companies, as well as over 100,000 Table records between the two, with ease. Any information we need to find or update with these records is as easy as it gets, and makes our customer service team's jobs a relative breeze. There are hiccups here and there, especially with newer features to the program, but there's never been any issues that interrupt work or cause data loss, and the tech support available is very handy at resolving any issues we might have.
ProsEverything in a Contact or Company record's layout can be customized, moved around, hidden on a per-user basis, and otherwise manipulated however your organization needs it to be. My company makes heavy use of this feature, having multiple team-based layouts that present the most important data to those teams prominently. We also greatly enjoy the software's ability to perform advanced queries on the data that can be saved and re-run with a single click to provide accurate reports and drill down to specific needs in moments.
ConsThere are quite a few features that feel incomplete or at least not fully integrated. For example, the software comes with the ability to create and Mail Merge templated emails that imports information like a contact's name, and the Smart Tasks feature allows you to automatically perform certain tasks including sending an email to a contact, yet for some reason you can't do both - that is, you can't set a Smart Task to perform a Mail Merge to a templated email and send the result, meaning that the automated emails cannot contain information personal to the contact such as their name.
May 21, 2019
Robert O.
Sole proprietor
Arts and Crafts, Self-employed

“Value of using Act”

OverallSee What I liked most.
ProsStarted using Act about 25 years ago. Have added contacts since and used most of the features. Over time the use of certain features such as mass mailings to customer lists have faded, and now occasionally by e-mail. Over time I have come to value how I can locate someone that was a customer years ago, and have a complete record of a transaction, conversation or specific subject we were involved in. You have to learn to use for nearly every phone conversation or piece of correspondence. If you do, you will always be able to revert back to a contact, and who said what when. What correspondence was involved etc. To say nothing about scheduling appointments, and being reminded of birthdays and other important events. Act is the backbone of my business and personal contact information. Invaluable and used every day. I have used over may revisions and Company changes. Sometimes the customer service is better than others. Presently the Customer Service is Excellent. If you are a first time user or considering starting to use it I would recommend you take a course on using it as many of the features are not apparent unless someone shows them to you. A great tool to keep track of what everyone on your team is doing and as they move on a record of what they did and who was involved. A great tool that I rely on daily. Happy to spread the word.
ConsMany features that I never use, but see how others would. Don't like having to use MS Outlook for e-mail. Would like to access completely by phone, but my database is too big.
Bill D.
Apps Engineer
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees
January 5, 2017

“How act is helping me working at 74 as a sales man”

OverallI have been using ACT's since 1999 and this year I turned 74 and I'm still selling with the very best of them. I sell power supplies to industry and without ACT there is no way I could compete in the world of sales today without ACT, I put everything and anything that helps me sell more in a very competitive field including emails, quotes, power supply spec, and notes. I see so many people who will not invest in this program or database if they did their sales would be much higher nobody can remember everything but ACT does. In all the years I have used at never a problem of any kind I do keep it on three computers as the backup just in case there's a crash of one of my computers. I backup my database 2 to 3 times a week making sure I have everything when I need it. The thing I like most about ACT when I go to sales meetings I have all my information right in front of me on my laptop and so many people don't. So when I am questioned about any customer I can look in my notes and have the answers I need, without ACT my sales numbers would be much lower. Thanks ACT
ProsWithout ACT I could not compete as well as I do in the sales world for it is changing every day. I need ACT to help track my customers my orders my RFQ's and so many other things without it I wouldn't have a job today. I see so many salespeople who won't invest in ACT who sales numbers could be so much better I tell them about ACT but they don't seem to want to invest in their future and their future sales that could be so much better.
ConsI cannot find one thing wrong with ACT I have been using it approximately 20 years and never had a problem I cannot say this about other database programs I have had to use when I worked for other companies. Some of them were super complicated took hours of work just to get your data in whereas using ACT it was a breeze putting data in and saving data of all kinds.
Recommendations to other buyersI would like to see more salesman investing in ACT to help their sales grow and become the much better salesman, yes a good database like ACT can help your sales skyrocket if only they would use it.
Karen F.
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
October 9, 2017

“I may be prejudiced but I love this product”

OverallI have used Act personally and for my business almost since its inception. Full disclosure: I have written 7 books on the product as well as the training videos for lynda.com/LinkedIn. I also do consulting work for several other CRM products and wrote a book on SugarCRM. For the money, you can't beat Act. Act has all the power of the "bigger" players without the expensive price point. As newer features are added the existing ones remain relatively stable so that an existing user can upgrade without being hit by a huge learning curve. That said, new users of ANY software product, and specifically CRM software, need to realize that training is essential if they want to unleash the full power of Act. And, like with any other software, support and training is not free - especially if your Act version is several years old. Try calling Microsoft the next time you need help with a spreadsheet or can't get Outlook to send your email and you will see exactly what I mean. However, all Act Premium subscriptions do include free technical support. I urge readers to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt. For example, Act is absolutely the easiest product out there when it comes to a mail merge. Try doing this in Salesforce and compare the number of keystrokes it takes to complete a merge. Another reviewer complains that you can't merge to over "50 contacts;" that restriction is meant to keep you spam-compliant and can easily be overcome by using the built in Act E-marketing Tool. Another reviewer complained that it took "days" to download the software; again, this is simply not the norm and one has to wonder what kind of security settings might have been blocking the ability to download software.
ProsPerfect fit for mid-sized businesses. Great price point. Only truly hybrid solution that allows you to use Act both on your desktop and in a hosted environment.
October 9, 2017
Josh P.
Director of Marketing
Accounting, 1-10 employees
August 11, 2017

“ACT is a great software product that allows you to integrate your database and track your clients”

OverallACT is worth the price and worth the training to get educated on it. Unfortunately you need to spend some time figuring out the details, but once you do, it is off to the races and you will love the system every day. It really is a great product.
ProsThis product allows you to integrate the basic and most complicated processes within your business. I love the email link feature, any time I send an email to a client (who has their email in their account profile), the system automatically saves that email in the client profile. You don't have to search for it in your inbox, or click an extra button to push the details over to the profile, it all happens automatically. The icing on the cake, is now that it is in the client profile, other members of my team can see what emails I have communicated to client, and when they were sent. It helps to keep my team all on the same page. This is by far the best Client Database system I have ever used. AMAZING!
ConsThe biggest downside to ACT is there is not a built in funnel email system. You have to select the group or type of clients that you want to email, export that to another database and then send the communications from there. The system will still tag your emails as long as they are sent from your domain, but having to export the list an use an additional software or service to send the mass email notifications is a little frustrating. If they can fix this option, it would make my life a lot easier.
August 11, 2017
January 29, 2019

“Financial Advisor & Group Benefits Specialist”

OverallKeeping track of where I am in a client sale cycle and note taking of conversations that are time stamped help keep me compliant which is crucial to my business . When I open ACT! each day I get the reminders of what I am suppose to do to keep me on track is time saving to me.
ProsI have used other CRM platforms and ACT! for advisors is a very friendly system to learn. I was referred by another advisor to have a look at ACT! and when I inquired I received an excellent one on one training/review of the product. I was able to ask about specific features that I wanted in a data base and they were part of it. I live in Alberta and they changed some of the titles ie: Zip Code to Postal Code. I was able to add some of my own specific information boxes ie: Firm Number. I was able to purchase the software without having to pay for it on an ongoing monthly cost. Sharing data with multiple users/computers. The eMarketing feature I use all the time. I am able to build my own newsletters and monthly tips to send out with ease. The support team has been helpful when I have a question.
ConsI thought I would see if I could get some feedback from someone else in my office if they could think of something they didn't like but his comment was " No, I quite like ACT!". If I were to suggest one thing would be when entering something on the History - Type I wish we could edit those categories.
Andrew F.
president
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
April 29, 2019

“e-marketing, marketing automation”

OverallI would pay twice if I will be able to go to previous abilities that ACT has
ProsAct itself is as a good database software. Compering to previous version synchronized with Swift Page it has a better platform to create a template. There are other things you improve but for our small company we do not use them (like several times of sending same e-mail to one customer)
ConsIn Marketing Automation: - you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template - you can not send an e-mail from the template to one person (only to the group) - you can not sent an e-mail to lookup (every time you must create the group from lookup) - may e-mails is getting lost (in our 2 campaigns about 20% e-mails were not delivered) In e-marketing - you can not add and SAVE our data base fields in the template ****** In your previous version of ACT I was able to add fields from my database SAVE them in the template and send them to lookup without a need to create the group. ****** And your customer service ??? I believe you can do better work. For example - I wrote an e-mail to you about month ago - with totally no answers from you.

By Swiftpage on April 30, 2019
Andrew, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the new Act! Marketing Automation. Please email me at mbowers@swiftpage.com and I will escalate your issue. Thanks again.
April 29, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
April 5, 2019

“ACT functionality in 2019”

OverallFunctional software for contact and opportunity management that has been in use for over 20 years with a consistent interface. All contact management software requires a learning curve to effectively use the software. My consulting clients do not use the marketing component of ACT, so those features have not been evaluated as of yet. ACT has gone through a number of owners, and the current owners seem to be putting in the effort to keep pace with Microsoft Outlook. Quickbooks integration could still be better though, but cooridnating with third party vendors will always be a challenge.
ProsConsistent interface through the years, reliable functionality and easy to resolve simple issues. Even in a small business, hosting the database on a consumer grade PC and operating system still provides a functional and fast connection. The ability to create an offline database that can then be synced with the master database is very useful for laptop users. Finally in ACT 2018/2019, the interface between Outlook 365 (aka Outlook 2016) and ACT! is finally more reliable.
ConsThe time it takes to create a large offline database seems way to slow. Some troubleshooting issues require support from ACT!. I strongly recommend a support plan with ACT!
April 5, 2019
Bud M.
April 16, 2017

“22 year plus customer Sage / Act”

OverallYears ago Act software helped me build a tremendous mortgage business. Out of that experience, I am reaching out to offer some effective criticism to enhance your product. Good luck! Feel free to contact me anytime.
ProsI was probably one of the first purchasers of Act. It is a great program that needs a company to put some serious thought behind making it work better. After shopping several other CRM software's I still think it is above the rest in both user friendly and functionality. You price for the product is more than fair (in fact, I think low) but the software runs like it is somebody's part time job.
ConsCustomer service is the worst. The guys in India are great and I have nothing bad to say about them but is there some reason I need to sit on a phone 45 minutes waiting to speak to the representative? Again I think Act could be the CRM leader but I don't see much improvement over the past few years. The principles of this company have sat back and let opportunities walk by not focusing on the customers needs. With all the apps and technologies available Act should have more to offer.When I purchase a product I do not expect to have to spend hours chasing down my answers through videos.
April 16, 2017
Fred W.
SVP
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
February 1, 2017

“ACT! 19 much better than 18”

OverallHave been an ACT user for over a decade. Works well, but syncing with Outlook and Gmail has been rough. Version 19 is much better, but still needs some work. It would be nice if ACT provided tech support for the first 90 days without paying all the time. Also would like to see contact photos added as it is in Outlook.
ProsOrganization and logic
ConsSyncing with Outlook and Gmail can be difficult.
Recommendations to other buyersAdd contact photos similar to Outlook and iPhone contacts. Improve choices for syncing with Gmail calendar and Outlook. Add symbol to advise owner that the syncing with Outlook or Gmail is working correctly. I always have to check after sending emails to see if really added it to the history.

By Swiftpage on February 6, 2017
Hi Fred, Thanks for your review! Did you know it is possible to add a photo to an Act! contact? You can edit your contact layout to include a picture field. Once this has been added, you can display any photo you like within the field. Regarding the Outlook email history attachments, there is an icon that looks like an envelope with a red X which will display in your taskbar if there are some emails which have been sent but not attached to an Act! contact. This is intended to notify you that these histories will be missing and will give you the option of manually choosing a contact to record them to, or creating a new contact from the info provided. If you have any further questions about Act! or are looking for advice, check out our Community Forums: https://community.act.com - Act!
February 1, 2017
Scott F.
Director of IT
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
August 9, 2019

“Solid and Reliable CRM Product”

OverallI've used ACT! in one form or another for over 15 years now, between several different companies, starting from when they were owned by Sage. ACT! has always been a solid, well-designed and well-performing product that puts managing customer's contact information, records and sales first and foremost. While some platforms have broadened their reach, ACT! has always stayed true to what they do well, which is manage clients and sales opportunities, which is what really makes sales.
ProsACT has been around for a long time, as has Swiftpage who aquired them. The software itself has continued to evolve and improve, but hasn't lost the overall feel it has always had. What I like the most is that they have cloud AND desktop platforms for those that might not need cloud services. They also have a large number of plans available, are affordable, and there are a good number of independent technicians out there that can help you with your data, and design third party add-ons too.
ConsThe recent change that does not let owners of much older versions of the software activate what they already own has me concerned.
August 9, 2019
Darren F.
Managing Director
May 2, 2016

“Best featured and Best value CRM for Small business”

OverallFirstly, I'm an Act! Certified Consultant and I sell and provide services around Act! and have done so since 2001. Although I'm not a client, I have continually had to make an assessment about whether Act! is the right product for our prospective and existing clients. My personal experience is that there is no single software product that is suitable for every business. If you are a big enterprise, Act! isn't the product you are going to invest in. For small business though it should be at the top of your list to review. Act! has a greater depth and depth of functionality for the price of any CRM software in the market for the small business users. If there was something that were better I'd be inclined to be offering it to our clients. Act! has been around for nearly 30 years and the many things that you are likely to want to be able to do, Act! just does. Many of the small, simple, day to day tasks will be made easier by your use of Act!. Act! is a product that you will hear many loyal and satisfied clients say that they Love and that they can't do without. Act! is easy to use and it's highly configurable. It excels in a MS Windows environment, so if you are running a server with some desktops and laptops it's an ideal solution. It will run faster than any cloud based solution. Act! comes with both a Windows and Web based access. You could have some using it on their desktop in the office, and others using it via the web browser. The Web version doesn't completely match the windows version for functionality, but the gap is closing. With Act! you can deploy it on your own server so you own and control your data. You can still have the advantage of a web based login but know that your database is in an environment you control. Act! has a range of excellent third party add-ons that en-rich it's functionality and with a new API in the latest 18.1 version there will be many more integrations between Act! and other web based applications. If I were to simplfy where I see Act! in the market it would be to say it sits in the middle of the basic cloud offerings like Pipedrive, Insightly, Highrise etc. and the full blown CRM's from Saleforce, SugarCRM and Microsoft. If you are an established business that is looking for a best in class CRM to work on your MS Windows platform and still provide good mobile and web browser based access then Act! is ideal.
May 2, 2016
John S.
Owner/Operator
Insurance, 1-10 employees
January 29, 2019

“"Get Your Act Together"”

OverallI am keeping my Insurance and Retirement Planning business running with it and I believe I first started using ACT in 1994. The basic functions that I use it for are easy to learn and use. I sure wish I would have had the chance to take courses on ACT, Excel, etc... while in college but when I graduated in 1979 there were no such things.
ProsWhat's not to love? It keeps my contacts names, numbers, addresses, emails, etc... sorted. I can mark/tag them for different groups, find them, note them, write them, sort them... I can schedule me calls, meetings, to-do's with alarms to remind me. I LOVE MY ACT!
ConsThe only reason for the 4 stars is because this software will do so much and I being age 60 and not growing up with computers all thru school... I am probably not doing one tenth of what I could be doing with ACT and yet it is still a LIFESAVER! Without ACT, I would NEVER be able to keep my "ACT" together... lol. It makes me feel a little incompetent knowing there is SO MUCH MORE it could do for me if I knew how to do it.
Denise E.
Legal Services, Self-employed
January 29, 2019

“Product Great but Tech Support Stinks”

OverallI've been using Act! since the early 1990s, in three different industries. For the first industry, it increased my close ratio of willing qualified buyers from around 80% to over 95%. In the second and third industries that metric was not easily measurable because of long relationship lead times, but it dramatically assisted efficiency.
ProsEase of use, flexibility of design, reports, ability to track relationships across multiple contacts, and mass mailing abilities
ConsSeems a little unstable at times for some features, and tech support is a game of Russian Roulette with perhaps one person in 10 who can troubleshoot a problem and fix it. The rest seem to be untrained, seem to have no analytical skills or trouble shooting abilities, seem to be reading off knowledge base scripts, and often make or recommend changes that end up making matters even worse. The product is WONDERFUL when it works properly, which is most of the time. But lookout for 2-7 days of downtime if you hit that problem that is too much for the low level tech support people.
Bruce L.
Automotive, 1-10 employees

“Using ACT!”

OverallI have been using the program for 15 years. I like that when I last upgraded I did not have to learn everything over again! Microsoft does this and I don't care for it. I use mostly the contact database. However, I expect to purchase another copy of the program because of a new contract that will have extensive telemarketing and reporting.
ProsEasy to use
ConsSome of the features I will never use and some of the features take some time to learn how to use.

By Swiftpage on January 30, 2017
Hi Bruce, Thanks for the review! For reference, we offer a wide range of help and support materials for Act!, and can advise on further training if requested. For new users of Act!, our Getting Started resource center is useful for learning the basics of Act! and getting up and running. https://www.act.com/resources/getting-started We also have a free online training library full of videos detailing many of the features of Act!. Visit this here: https://www.act.com/resources/feature-tours It's also possible to purchase training workbooks which teach the fundamentals of using and administrating Act! in detail. http://swiftpage.com/training/order-manuals If you need any advice on any of the help materials we offer, please don't hesitate to ask! Act!
Maggie R.
Marketing Manager
Wholesale, 11-50 employees
May 1, 2019

“Act Upgrade and use”

OverallHas been a good tool for us as a small to medium business but beginning to require more functionality - support for the latest upgrade has been very intense and expensive
ProsElegant solution that works across a range of devices with possibilities for a range of integrations much more cost effective than the competition for small businesses
ConsNot always well integrated with other platforms eg leadpages etc - needs an intermediary or requires support of an ACT consultant to implement many integrations.
May 1, 2019
Lloyd M.
Sales Associate
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
February 5, 2019

“Best Program ”

OverallIn my business, history is necessary. I have data going back over 25 years that is at my fingertips. That and along with the ability to design and set a drip system to my client base is a great feature. I am very happy with my ACT! program for my business use.
ProsI have been a user of the ACT! program since I became a Realtor in 1990. It is one of the most versatile programs around. I am only using parts of the program necessary to run my business. It allows a comprehensive amount of information on each individual on record or family history. All activity is recorded in the history file for future reference. All Emails, letters and correspondence is attached to the individual for future reference. The groups that can be set-up
ConsThere is nothing that I dislike about this program. It has all of the features that are needed to run a business. There are also features included that are helpful in record keeping and developing schedules for a smoother day to day operation.
February 5, 2019
Greg W.
Broker
Insurance, 11-50 employees

“Good and Bad”

OverallSince I've updated it's been 1 a headache after another. I kept ACT Bc of my familiarity with the product. But now I have problems with SQL servers not starting, lost a database, and have to pay for customer service? The Customer support guys do work hard to fix your Problem. But paying to fix a problem ACT created or overlooked seems greedy. So minus 2 stars. Also getting some of the reports is not as easy as it uses to be. I don't use all the features of this software but some of it would be great, but now redundant as I have other programs handling those for me. Overall it's just "C" maybe "C+" for me.
ProsLayout and look. All the different features and uses.
ConsSometimes when I print address labels, it will go and grab the actual address instead of the PO Box. Also 1 wrong click and suddenly everyone connected with a company has that company's address. Also really had a hard time with Birthday reports. I just want 1 specific month, not everyone in random order. SQL servers don't always boot up.
Recommendations to other buyersFix the above. Also if there is a software glitch I shouldn't have to buy customer support to fix it.
John L.
Former: CEO and General Manager
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
January 5, 2017

“The Most Intuitive and Powerful Sales Tool You Can Have ”

OverallI have used Act! from the beginning. With that, I mean from inception to today. As a sales representative, I became an expert user of Act! It served as the foundation for my success and gave me an unfair advantage over my peers. While my fellow sales reps worked harder and harder, I worked harder but smarter, winning every sales contest and breaking a few records in the process. As a Regional Sales Manager and VP of Sales, I used the science that Act! afforded me with while my competitors relied on luck. Now, as a consultant, I recommend and teach Act! as the foundation of a solid process. I have turned down consulting contracts because the client company did not and would not install Act! As a sales writer, published in such magazines as Selling Power and Life Insurance Selling, I have recommended and used Act! in dozens of articles and a few books. Act! is key to a successful sales career.
ProsScalability and ability to customize
ConsNone
Recommendations to other buyersYou don't want to half-step with this. Sure, you can learn the basics and get by. But you need to learn to all, become an expert. Then it will make you money. Used to its full capabilities, Act! will make more money for you than your biggest account.
Cody H.
Sales and Marketing
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees
December 14, 2017

“THe company has been using it for at least 10 years ”

OverallTHere are a lot better CRM's out there figure out what you are using it for and what you need and start shopping I could suggest a few but to me they are a bit industry specific.
Prosseems very simple and we had a long standing relationship with ACT with the in house CRM. So we had a lot of our contacts already on board and it does keep track of contacts.
ConsWhen I came on board about 3 months ago I suggested going to the cloud the idea was well recieved and I contacted act. We intially had some issues uploading the information some of which I will admit was my own fault. when I did the software lagged extremely bad. I contacted the company spent almost 4 hours o the phone (mostly on hold) the first time and then didnt get a call back untill about 9:30 that night. Then the trial was running out with out the issue being resolved I asked them to extend it while we tried to fix the issue they told me I had to buy it and then they would be able to fix it....
December 14, 2017
Adrian M.
General Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees

“Act Review ”

OverallSometimes the amount of data is confusing because there are so many programs to monitor. I would find it easier if there was a program attached the file explaining usage without having to call tech support.
ProsI can track my customers and their email addresses.
ConsThe confusion with accessing customers.
Recommendations to other buyersSend a guide to assist users.

By Swiftpage on January 24, 2017
Hi Adrian, We offer a wide range of help materials for Act!, and can advise on further training if requested. Did you know there is a help guide built into Act!? This can be accessed and searched by pressing F1 on your keyboard. If you're new to Act!, our Getting Started resource center is useful for learning the basics of Act! and getting up and running. https://www.act.com/resources/getting-started We also have a free online training library full of videos detailing many of the features of Act! Visit this here: https://www.act.com/resources/feature-tours You can also purchase training workbooks which teach the fundamentals of using and administrating Act! in detail. http://swiftpage.com/training/order-manuals If you need any advice on any of the help materials we offer, please don't hesitate to ask! Act!
James S.
Mental Health Care, 1-10 employees
January 5, 2017

“After user since version 2.0”

OverallI run an international consulting business with customers in Europe, the Caribbean, Africa, and all over English-language North America to the north of the Arctic Circle. I could not have built this 25-year business without ACT! In retirement, I am serving as a university professor. I have over 7500 contacts in my database. ¶ I served on the beta team (I actually loaded version 1.0 but it was not as good as competitors) when version 2.0 came out it was hands down better than what I had been using. I have updated act every year ever since! Service is great and good but available only during business hours specific time, I only wish it was available 24*7
ProsTotal ease-of-use and fantastic tech support.
ConsSince my days on the beta team, I have asked that if you highlighted a phone number overseas it would tell you the local time of day and whether that was a business day or a holiday. Tech development teams have always said that is a fantastic idea dating back to version about 2.0 but it has never been implemented.
Brian S.
employee
Financial Services, 11-50 employees

“Long time user”

OverallDespite the issues I mentioned above once you get it set up it is very reliable and I never run into issues such as crashing. It is a very stable program in my experience.
ProsI've been using Act for 20 years and it works fine for most of my needs. I love that I can synchronize databases with my team members. It is also customizable so that the contact screens show almost any fields you could want. They do have a very good support site with very good walk-throughs to solve problems.
ConsI know I'm not getting the most out of it or using it to its full capability, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with a lit of other applications where you would need to import your database. I have also found that (maybe because the database attaches to sql server?) it can be a little cumbersome to set up and get it syncing and it is very finnicky.
Julie E.
Group Sales
Hospitality, 501-1000 employees
September 5, 2018

“CRM Database”

OverallThis has been our groups database for over 10 years.
ProsWe can leave internal notes, create and save contracts, create custom columns for searching and organizing, can edit the format to fit our needs without consulting with the software company. You can see which user has done the work, assign reps and task other users and yourself. You can create separate databases for different functions, and assign a group under various levels (inquiry, quote, confirmed, etc.).
ConsIt's not very pretty nor modern looking, but it does the job. My computer has changed a couple of times since starting to use ACT, and with one hard drive change it was very difficult and time consuming to figure out how to change the text size within the fields, because it was tiny and apparently most monitors are huge now, so it was a big strain on my eyes.
September 5, 2018
Eric B.
May 18, 2018

“Good, I like the custom fields. ”

ProsCustom fields. Ease of backup. I like that you can save multiple layouts. I do not like that the layout doesn't fit my screen using a typical new HD monitor. I either have to keep the type really small or thevtext gets very blurry. Syncing with iPhone - your app doesn't include all the fields. Every time there is a major windows update, ACT has issues. For many years I have asked for a couple of features to be added and was always told by tech support that it should be Easy to add, but nothing ever happens.
ConsSyncing with iPhone - your app doesn't include all the fields. Every time there is a major windows update, ACT has issues. For many years I have asked for a couple of features to be added and was always told by tech support that it should be Easy to add, but nothing ever happens.
May 18, 2018
Gail G.
Training Coordinator
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
November 27, 2017

“DO NOT PURCHASE THIS CRM”

ProsConsidering the pathetic customer support, I would have to say - nothing! Our inability to reach Customer Support to resolve our conversion issue has rendered the CRM useless.
ConsOur small company has been successfully using ACT for years and three weeks ago we moved from the server version to the cloud. Since we made the switch we have been literally "dead in the water" as some of our data did not make the conversion and we have been unable to reach anyone from Customer Support to help us resolve this issue even though we purchased the Premium Support Package . Last week our head of IT was on hold for 1.5 hours before someone answered the phone only to be told he had reached the wrong help line, was transferred to another help desk, was on hold for another hour before he finally gave up. This is simply not okay!!!
November 27, 2017
Richard B.
Management Consulting, Unspecified
October 20, 2015

“Easy to use amd gives you fuill ownership of your data”

ProsThe deployment options for Act! are more extensive than any other CRM on the market, your data is controlled in your own environment, can be accessed over the network, via Browser and remote devise plus remote synchronisation models for travellers where there is no internet (like on planes). Act! is also fully customisable to suit your workflow and business strategy requirements over which we have control at all times. Act! has improved our team collaboration, increased our sales through better process management and reporting Our team love using Act! as it is simple and easy to understand
ConsSwiftpage have only had ownership of Act! for 2 years whereas Sage had it for over 10 years, I believe they have strong strategy on future development of Act! however there has not been a lot of change over the past year. We are hoping for improvements in browser support for 2016
Recommendations to other buyersWith any CRM training and support are essential, engaging a professional Act! consultant adds long term value to your business as it would with any CRM, Act! is no different and we have an excellent well thought out solution that has improved our productivity and customer interactions. We could not have done this without professional guidance as there is so much more to Act! then just the interface that people just won't understand without help.
October 20, 2015
Heather B.
Office
Construction, 11-50 employees
June 13, 2019

“We Love it! ”

OverallI think we would be lost without ACT! We have had it for 4+ years now and it seems to be the glue that holds all the information together!
ProsEasy to input customer information. Easy to look up info. Print all our contracts and labels.
ConsRecently started charging more. Meaning they now charge for each computer that has software running on it.
June 13, 2019
Sandra B.
President and Owner
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
January 31, 2019

“Best Softwear that has Total Customization to Suit Your Needs!”

OverallEasy & quick access to all my contacts. Save a lot of time! The people that put this together thought of everything. Buy this program, you won't be sorry!
ProsI love that I can customize the colors, font size, page layout, tabs and everything else! I have been using ACT for at least 25 years and think it has everything anyone would need, regardless of profession. It is easy to work with once you get to know some basics. You can make different templates that enable you to have different views and show different information. So many features! It works well with WORD and I understand it can be used with G-mail. Best use is with Microsoft Outlook.
ConsI don't like the change you made for the left side of template. It is dark gray and I don't know how to change that color!
January 31, 2019
Brad H.
VP
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Self-employed

“ACT review”

OverallI am able to be much more efficient, effective, and TIMELY in the way I communicate with my existing customers and new prospects.
ProsIt DOESN'T forget...like I may. You have to be anal/have OCD to keep up with it daily and meticulously in order to receive maximum value. I am able to find names/accounts quickly; able to put together groups quickly and easily for mass email marketing campaigns, etc.
ConsThere have been several software bugs that I have brought to the attention of Swiftpage support staff over the years...but there is ONE that is still persistent and has not been addressed.
Heidi T.
Systems Administrator
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
November 14, 2018

“Great Technical Support”

OverallAllows our salesperson to keep detailed notes on phone calls and customers of over 20 years. She loves using the software and relies on it every day. She has never lost any of her data in all of the years of upgrades.
ProsMy user had an older version of ACT! that she had been using on her laptop that was not compatible with the latest version. The support team was able to take a back up of her database and upgrade it to the current version free of charge and without any hassle. Happy User=Happy IT support team.
ConsHard pressed to find anything that I didn't like about the software. It has been a trusted application by one of our top salespeople since the early 90's. She has maintained her database of clients and partners through several upgrades and has always been satisfied.
November 14, 2018
Thomas O.
Director, Business Development
Pharmaceuticals, 11-50 employees
May 7, 2018

“Love the ease of use for both entering data and retrieving info”

OverallI use it to track my clients and prospects and I can tell anyone the last time I made contact, what that was - letter, Email, Phone Call, etc. and it allows me to connect important info to any of my clients, prospects, friends and family.
ProsThe fact that I was able to use the product immediately with no instruction was a great pro. Entering data and retrieving info about a client is easy, and building history of calls, Email messages, letters in a record is great.
ConsI am not happy with support as all they do is provide a fix when there is a problem, but not direction in how to build reports or use other functionality. I have had to fix the same problem with direction from their service group several times. If I ask for help with reports they tell me I need to find a consultant for that.
May 7, 2018
Richard L.
Automotive, Self-employed
May 20, 2019

“Act Review”

OverallI own a sales agency. My business is communication. Act is a great tool for assisting in communicating, I like the auto dialer, and storing records of my communication.
ProsEverything in one place. It is great that Act integrates with Outlook so you can keep histories of email messages. You can add attachments such as quotes in word or .pdf form.
ConsCan we get it to work with OneNote? I use OneNote for my to do's, quote follow up, etc. It would be great if you could link opportunities and histories using OneNote. I have issues using opportunities. It is really me that has the issue, not the software. Maybe if it was a simpler tool I would use it more??

By Swiftpage on May 22, 2019
Hi Richard, Thank you for the review! And thank you for the feedback - I will pass it along to the team.
May 20, 2019
Dimuthu A.
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
April 10, 2019

“Track & Work (Best Solution for Sales)”

OverallMy company sales division, use this for their marketing and sales tasks. We have expanded our sales by 120% approximately last year and this was the system/application we used to carry our connectivity and operations. Which means, there is a huge impact from Act! for our success. Would recommend this to anybody without a hesitation. This is a fine product.
ProsThis is one of the most descent application you can find for CRM (Customer Relationship Management) category. Simple and easy to use. Exists of great tracking feature and employees who roams place to place while working can interconnect with the office premises and continue with their tasks very easily. Email functions are also very helpful for building customer base.
ConsEven though thy provide good space for marketing, still feels like that this application could improve social media marketing to a next level. Also reporting section should be improved.
April 10, 2019
Debbie B.
President/CEO
Retail, Self-employed
October 30, 2018

“Long time user of ACT”

OverallBeing a user of ACT for decades, I keep notes in my database to refer to later. If someone orders something from me years later, yup, I have their information. It's nice when I can ask how old their kids are now or if they still have the pontoon boat.
ProsPeople think I remember lots of things, but I just put detailed notes in ACT and retrieve them when necessary.
ConsBugginess with Windows 10. I have never had so many tech support calls and need to upgrade my software since Windows 10 came in the picture! SQL Server issues, incompatibility with other software (fixed with tech support). I spent hours one day with tech support, another 3 hours another day and just decided to upgrade because they assured me that the new upgrade would fix my issues. So far, so good.
October 30, 2018
Jeanne C.
Employee
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 employees
November 22, 2017

“Great until you need support”

OverallYou need to put more Tech support people that know what they're doing to help those that have had this software for over 8 years!!!!! It's such a pain to get through to you for help.
ProsEase of storing, using databases once the horrific install and debugging is done. I really don't have anything else to say about the product.
ConsTerrible, terrible customer support. No one answers the Tech Support line ever. If you call Sales, they give you 20 excuses as to why no one can help you. You might get an email from Tech Support telling you to do it yourself via links. Bottom line, sales people are great just don't look for anyone to help with debugging. The upgrades are often and every time you do an upgrade, you MUST contact Tech support because there are constant bugs
November 22, 2017
Robin A.
Piano tuner
January 13, 2018

“The best CRM I have come across - been using it since 1997 - more than 20 years!”

ProsCan be customised just how you like it in so many ways. Does everything I need and want it to Easy setup and install
ConsNo native Mac version. I have been using the Mac platform now for 10 years and have to run ACT! through a virtual machine which works well enough but limits functionality. Also, the newer versions are clunkier and cumbersome compared to earlier versions. Whilst they may lack some of the bells and whistles of more modern versions, I have stuck with ACT!2000 (a.k.a. version 5.04.495 which was designed for Windows 98, and will run on no later Windows version than xp! I tried upgrading a few years ago but didn't like it as much so went back to my old version.
January 13, 2018
Tom H.
Managing Director/Owner

“Long Term ACT! user”

OverallI have been using ACT! since V.6. Presently I use V.18 on the cloud and synchronize it with Companion Link on my Blackberry phone, Android tablet and Mac Pro computer with Parallels. I depend on ACT! for scheduling appointments, contacts, email, keeping track of business opportunities, etc. Several time that I needed help from tech support and have always been very pleased with the availability and quality of prompt service. It is comforting to have this important information kept secure and readily available from anywhere anytime. I highly recommend the program and am willing to answer questions from prospective users.
ProsMeet my needs and excellent support.
ConsHave had problems configuring my display on Mac Pro when Windows updates my Mac running Parallels. ACT! support has always fixed the problem.
Recommendations to other buyersWould be nice to have ACT! for Mac.
David H.
Realtor
Real Estate, Self-employed
March 26, 2019

“Things that are gone”

ProsI needed to upgrade my Act software last November and for many uses on a daily basis, I'm glad I did -- emails out through Outlook, documents out through Word including one-off letters and the envelopes, and certainly the maintenance of people in groups and subgroups. Not complaining about those things. When I upgraded I paid for the 30 day tech support that included installing the V21 and a week later getting the tech on my computer to clear up a few things. The charge was well worth it.
ConsBut there are a couple of major steps backwards for me. I am given 30-50 business cards per month and for years with previous Act! versions (I now have V21 Pro) I was able to use a Cardscan to scan the business cards into Act. It saved a lot of time, allowed me to have a picture of the card under "documents" and was quite efficient. Cardscan is not longer compatible with Act! What's worse is that apparently there isn't any brand of scanner or Android App that is. I am trying to do a workaround of some kind to perhaps scan to Excel and then import to Act, but gee, what an inefficient pain. For years I have used a Dymo Labelwriter to print mailing labels directly from Act and that's no longer possible. The usefulness of printing a label or two was great. But no longer with V21 Pro.
March 26, 2019
Nikki D.
Client Advisor
Medical Devices, 11-50 employees
March 11, 2019

“Very Helpful”

OverallThe support staff are excellent and will go above and beyond to help me if there are any issue. Mostly user issues and not knowing enough about the processes.
ProsIt is easy to use, the support team are very helpful
ConsThere are lots of you tube videos about ACT on line but i think there should be more in the help section. Also a Chat option would be ideal. Sometimes it is easier to ask a questions than call.

By Swiftpage on March 15, 2019
Hi Nikki, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. I wanted to let you know that we do offer a Live Chat option for support - technical support chat is available for customers with a current subscription or support plan, or Act! Premium trial users. Please note our technicians cannot provide remote assistance by chat. We appreciate your business!
March 11, 2019
Cecil J.
Insurance, 1-10 employees

“Act! Premium Review”

OverallI believe, since I use it every day, the basic use is fairly easy. I just upgraded to the new ACT!, and because of the folks they have in technical assistance, it was easy, but time-consuming, because I had all of my data stored on a Western Digital separate hard drive. I am a salesman, not a software genius. Since I have been using ACT! for over 30 years, I haven't found anything better.
ProsIt keeps all of my contact information about my clients in one program.
ConsI know ACT! has many videos to watch about how to working with its amazing abilities. On a scale of 1 - 10, I would rate every piece of software help a 10-- Meaning very difficult. I'm sure that there are others who might find the help programs helpful.
Nicole S.
Agent
March 8, 2018

“ACT has many features, but most of them are cumbersome and lacking full functionality.”

ProsOur office has been using this product since before I started. It is a solid database program and if that is all you want to do is have a large database of contacts, then this performs well.
ConsI dislike how this is still only available for windows computers which makes communicating information in an office with both Mac and PC impossible. Also, the outlook plug in that allows emails to be synced with a contact in ACT will only link emails to the PRIMARY contact. So that means you have to manually sync that. If you are emailing over 100 emails a day, you end up either spending most of your time manually syncing contacts or just foregoing this feature. Also, you can only add 4 contacts to a company. Often times, we need to have upwards of 6-10 contacts for a company so the inability to add more is a huge issue. And since ACT isn't online, any changes made on any employee computers while not connected to the server means no one else has access to that info until they make it back to the office to sync. Which means our data is never fully up to date. There are so many problems with this software that we often don't try to take advantage of any of the other functions.

By Swiftpage on March 12, 2018
Hi Nicole, Thanks for your feedback! You're correct that our main desktop product is only available for PC. Did you know we do offer a fully web-based solution, Act! Premium Cloud? This works great on PC and Mac, as well as keeping your data online on our hosted cloud servers. It sounds like your business could make good use of the features available via Act! Cloud - might be worth checking it out at act.com - we do offer a free trial too. We'll definitely be taking your feedback on board for future releases - especially what you've said around email syncing. We've got some major improvements planned in this area in the next release (20.1). Lastly, there should be no limit to how many contacts can be assigned to a company - if you're having issues adding more than 4, I'd definitely recommend contacting customer support, who'll be happy to help. If there's anything more we can do to help, please let us know! Thanks again, Jon, Act! Social Media Team
March 8, 2018
Bill F.
Realtor
Real Estate, 11-50 employees
January 18, 2018

“Good but Not Great”

OverallPlease get me any additional information on work arounds (solutions) to ACT integration with Office 365.
ProsI have used ACT for over 15 years. The functionality within ACT is good along with the features. It is very intuitive and easy to use.
ConsThe 3rd party integration has been an on going issue for me. Most notably integration with Office 365 and specifically Outlook. I spent hours on the phone with both ACT and Microsoft support trying to get e-mail & e-mail merge to work properly. Each pointing the finger at the other to the point I was ready to look for a new CRM. Fortunately I got it working correctly but I am still concerned about the stability of the two products together.
January 18, 2018
Robert C.
Sr Metrology Lab Manager
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees
December 28, 2017

“Powerful Contact & Correspondence Management”

OverallI would recommend that this application be considered for those shopping for a contact management and email correspondence archiving tool.
ProsACT! is a power contact correspondence management tool that archives your emails with a given individual for future reference. It also help track agreements and proposals sent by email, dates, and changes in contact information. Contacts are logged by name and company, so it's easy to find all emails to and from a given company as wells as an individual. The tool is very powerful and provides a lot of function including many tools that I don't need to use. These are likely useful for sales people.
ConsSome of the functions are bit hard to find. For example, the add note function is hidden on the page as a tiny icon. Once you get used to the system, however, it works fine.
December 28, 2017
Karina L.
Food & Beverages, Unspecified
1.5/5
September 11, 2014

“Constant glitches, awful customer service”

ProsAt this moment, I am struggling to think of anything positive to say about my Act! experience. Both my boss and I have had problems since we bought it. I have lost entire days' worth of sales time on the phone with their tech support trying to fix issue after issue. And to make matters worse, they keep telling me to give them more money if I want better, faster, more competent customer service. All I want is for the program to work correctly and do what they promised it would do!
ConsThis program is seriously glitchy, and the customer service experience has been bad. I have spent countless hours on the phone trying to get issues resolved. And to add insult to injury, they keep telling me that if I want better customer service and faster, more professional support I need to give them more money. If you believe in your product then, stand behind it and fix it. My boss and I have spent enough time (and money via lost sales revenue) dealing with Act's technical issues already, so I wish they would stop telling me we need to shell out more. After two days on the phone with them, having been escalated to their Level 3 support guy, my Outlook started to have problems immediately after hanging up with him. I have never had a single problem with Outlook since I started using it. Over the last two days, three different tiers of tech support have remotely accessed my laptop, gone into my Outlook as administrators, and messed around with it. Though they managed to fix the mail merge issues I was initially having with Act!, they clearly messed up my Outlook along the way. Now they claim it is a complete coincidence that Outlook started sending me error messages the moment I hung up with their top tier tech guy. They keep telling me the problems are not related, it is solely the problem of Outlook, they are not experts in Outlook, and I should call Outlook's tech support for help. Clearly, it is not a coincidence or unrelated. And clearly, they are confident enough in their Outlook expertise to go into my program and mess with it. And as tech support for a software program that works with Outlook, they should be trained and qualified to work with Outlook in the first place. I have asked repeatedly to have their top tier guy call me back. He knows what he did, so he should be able to track down his mistake and fix it. But they keep saying they can't do that without me shelling out more money. As if all of that wasn't enough, during my last conversation with their support, I had to force the rep to stop trying to get me off the phone and to fix the new problem that had cropped up with Act! just today: the loss of my email history. It took her close to an hour, and she finally discovered that my email history was now gone from Act! because one of the three techs who has remotely accessed my computer over the last two days accidentally replaced my database with a demo database. And even in light of that, she still tried to say that the issue with Outlook had nothing to do with anything their tech staff did. She continued to insist it was all just a coincidence. I told her I felt the time had come to talk to a supervisor, and I asked her to put one on the phone. After placing me on hold once again, she finally came back and said a supervisor was unavailable, and one would have to call me back in 10 minutes. It ended up taking close to an hour to hear from him. He did finally fix the Outlook problem, but when I asked him what I should do if the error messages come back in an hour or two, he said I had to start all over again from the bottom. The whole routine: wait on hold, start with a low-level tech, slowly work up the ladder, all of it. That or pay the fee. The next day, the Outlook error message came back! And I had to lose that day as well trying to get them to fix it. I spoke to my boss, and he said the same thing happened to him a while back, where they tried to blame Outlook. So my boss said he started a conference call with the Act! tech guy and the Microsoft tech guy on the phone at the same time, and lo and behold, the problem turned out to be with ACT, not Microsoft.
Recommendations to other buyersI would look at other software altogether. Considering all the time, effort, and problems we have had, if we could do it all over again, I don't think we would choose ACT for our business.
September 11, 2014
Vincent R.
Banking, Unspecified
June 18, 2014

“Awful experience with Act!”

ProsThere is absolutely nothing I like about this software.
ConsZero functionality. It can't pull any reports that are meaningful. When I think I can pull a report that is meaningful, I realize the data isn't even correct. It has almost no dynamic features; for instance, it can't update data by pulling it from another source; it has to be manually changed, which leads to errors. Also, Act! web premium only works if you have a really high quality internet connection. For example, we have 100MBPS internet; however, the speed is very inconsistent, which causes the Premium web version of Act! to constantly crash every time the internet slows down, while any normal web app would continue to load, or try to load, or just slow down. But Act! doesn't have that functionality; it just crashes, becomes unresponsive, and doesn't save any of the data you just input. When you restart your browser, it makes you sign in again. Also, almost no functionality is available on the web app; you can't delete contacts on the web version; you cannot import anything into the web version, and you can't manipulate any data. You can only input completely new data. It's literally awful. Contacts don't link well with groups or 'companies.' If you have seven people working for the same company and that company moves offices. If you change the address to that company, you have to individually change those seven people who work there. But the worst feature is the importing tool. You can't import in any 'advanced' way at all unless you pay for an importer tool, which you can't be sure will work for you. When talking with our third party Act! customer service person, I asked if I could try the import tool to make sure it did what I want before I bought it, or if I could have him try it for me to make sure it worked, and he said "No. There is no way to provide that service." When asking a simple question like, "So your input tool didn't find the duplicate contacts and just imported 700 duplicates. Is there a way to delete the duplicates all at once? Because all I see is an option to delete the duplicates one by one?" they told me there was no way to do it but that they would charge me to have them delete them for me. And I was quoted at an over 50 hour project quote, for something that took me one minute to do. So I just restored my backup file and started over. Also, I purchased a duplicate removal tool that was developed by a third party software company, and I thought it would work great, but it turns out that half of the contacts in the system had been uploaded with their full name as one fiedl and the other half with their first middle and last name as different fields. There is now way to differentiate this in ACT because it displays them the same way, so it merged all of the John's into one John contact. So again, I had to restore to a backed up database. The Swiftpage integration is awful. The only way I am able to use Swiftpage to any success is to export every single email, name, and address in Act! into an Excel spreadsheet, remove any duplicates, sort by region or the way I want to set up groups to email blast in Swiftpage, go to the actual swiftpage6.com website and upload the spreadsheets into Swiftpage manually. The Swiftpage email marketing HTML editor is also pretty bad. You can write beautiful HTML to display a great email, but Swiftpage mutilates the code in ways no one could ever understand. I am a professional coder - javascript, html, css - and it takes me hours, sometimes days, to design a marketing email that displays correctly in any sort of email client. In fact, it doesn't even ever look great when it's done, even after all the hard work. I would highly recommend any other email marketing company other than Swiftpage. I was on hold with a Swiftpage rep once for over three hours to find out why my email blast which was supposed to be sent by 10AM was still in the queue by 7pm. It actually didn't go out till almost midnight, and we had a 3% open rate, when we normally have a 15% open rate with other email marketing software. Please, please please do not buy this. With a database as important and large as mine, it's going to be extremely hard to switch to another software without major delays in service. The company has used it since 2002, and there is a lot of important data that needs to be imported into to a new system. It's going to cost a lot of money to do, and we will do it, but I just pray and beg that no one else ever has to be in the same situation that I am in if they don't have to be.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are a small business looking for a cheap database software, I would recommend looking into Microsoft Access 2013 over Act!. It has a web app developer; it actually writes the web app for you. You can then share it with anyone on your network (anyone at all that works for you or with you), and they can open your database in a browser. I'd also recommend Microsoft Dynamics, which is more expensive, but it has a ton more functionality and seamless integration to other MS office software and has a very modern sleek look and feel. And then there are the best CRMs I've worked with, like Oracle's Siebel, but it's just way too expensive for any medium to small business.
June 18, 2014
Robin A.
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
January 29, 2019

“Great Office Tool with Exceptional Customer Support!”

OverallI've been using ACT for 7+ years now and love it! I create contact lists to do mail outs every year and love the ease of the programs functionality. Updating customer information is a breeze and organizing lists is as simple as clicking a button. It's affordable and you can add on to the basic program so you're only paying for what you need!
ProsACT is very versatile. You can take full advantage of what it offers by using the marketing tools or use it just to house customer data. It's all up to you!
ConsI wish there was a way to create search fields or search multiple search fields at one time. I search by address a lot and there has got to be an easier way to find project locations.
Cathy W.
Service Coordinator/Admin Assistant
Facilities Services, 1-10 employees
October 24, 2018

“Love it!”

OverallI am able to find information at my fingertips when I have questions about their system. Makes my phone calls a lot quicker. I don't have to put people on hold or call them back.
ProsThis software has everything we need about the installation and history of the customer.
ConsI wish there was a way to integrate the install side to service side. It is a major pain when you are in one side and you get a phone call and you have to jump out of what you were doing to go to the other side . Plus most of the time once a system is installed they become a regular customer and you have to move all that information over to the service side. But other than that it is a great product.
October 24, 2018