Alma Ratings

Overall

About Alma

Rethink SIS. Alma's integrated Student Information System empowers learning communities with a future-ready software platform developed for today's challenges and tomorrow's opportunities. Impressively designed and easy to use, Alma provides the industry's best SIS, including: admissions, enrollment and registration, student demographics, attendance, advanced scheduling, discipline, grades, state reporting, custom report cards, parent portal, student portal, standards-based grading, and more. Learn more about Alma

John M.
Director for Innovation & Technology
February 27, 2018

“Shifting to Alma has positioned us well as we transition our district to competency based learning. ”

ProsAlma has a modern interface that is intuitive for our users with all of the information they need right at their fingertips, or one screen away. The student/parent portal is informative and is enabling us to move toward a more paperless registration process. Our teachers love the communication tools built into their grade book that enable them to immediately reach out to a student and their parents without having to jump out of the work they are doing. The report card and grading systems are flexible enough to support both traditional and proficiency-based philosophies. Alma is also proactive in cultivating relationships with third party vendors to add additional functionality to the environment. Alma has also been proactive in monitoring our state reporting requirements and updating our state report templates which is no small task. And Alma's support team is nothing short of amazing. My teachers have the freedom to reach out and get the support they require and that is priceless.
ConsThere were a few features I would have like that did not come "out of the box" such as robust reporting tools, and built-in scheduling tools. That said, Alma has worked to integrate those into the system and future users will not have that problem. The one other piece that I believe is in process is updating the transcript system so that it employs the same interface as the report card generator.
Theresa S.
Digital Learning Specialist
March 13, 2019

“Alma Software - The Superstar of Student Information Systems!”

ProsAlma's ease of use for all stakeholder is top notch. Teachers, parents, students and office personnel can easily navigate through this platform with minimal clicks, all the tools and information you need as a user are right there in front of you. You no longer have to click 4 layers deep to find what you are looking for. Alma also provides an easy way to communicate with all stakeholders. While in the gradebook you can email students and parents, eliminating the need to use a secondary software program. Along with a traditional grading program, Alma provides a true standards/competency based platform. This SIS has grown alongside the change in educational trends, meeting the needs of schools, transitioning their assessment/evaluation practices. Support services for Alma are outstanding. The customer support team is available in the matter of minutes, assisting and answering all questions one might have. The team is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and willing to take an idea you might suggest and make it happen! This support team makes transition/roll over periods stress free!
ConsAlma's reporting section for state reports and other school information reports still needs to develop. As time goes on I believe Alma will continue to make improvements in this area. Reports are currently available in a a basic excel or csv files. These files work for what we need, but I feel this area could develop more in the future.
March 13, 2019
James W.
Co-Founder
June 14, 2019

“Glad we're using Alma”

ProsUnlike other SIS's, Alma actually looks and feels like it was made in the 2010's. The system is solid, and has essentially every feature a smaller school like ours would want (and many more that we don't need to use). The gradebook is excellent, and it's easy to transfer classes and students from year-to-year. Their customer service has been great (we accidentally deleted multiple report cards in different places the other day and they quickly and helpfully solved our issue by restoring to a backup), and they are continually adding features and improving the platform. And the cost has been at least 50% less than quotes we were getting from major competitors. Many reasons to switch to Alma.
ConsThe latest transcripts update was helpful - there are still a couple of features we'd like on the transcripts front, but that's mostly because our school has a unique curriculum. This is totally just a personal preference, but I'd also like to be able to search for classes in the search feature in addition to contacts.

By Alma on August 7, 2019
What incredible feedback, James! Thank you so much and we look forward building on all of your school's successes!
June 14, 2019
501-1000 employees
July 12, 2018

“It took a little getting used to at first, but I really ended up liking it.”

ProsFirst of all, I liked how often improvements were made throughout the year. It seemed that ALMA was always looking for ways to continue to improve the software in order to make it more user friendly. As a PE teacher, my grading system is quite different from the classroom teacher. I have 19 different classes (K-6) with about 30 students in each class. Each class would attend PE 2x each week. At first, it was very arduous to submit all the grades, one student at a time, at the end of each term. One of the improvements that occurred during this past school year, was to be able to submit an entire class's grades at the same time! That one change lightened my work load tremendously! And made it so I looked forward to doing grades instead of dreading it!
ConsAs I became more familiar with the features of the software, I became more comfortable using it, but I regret that it took me into my 2nd year using it, to become the most comfortable. Even so, the thing I liked the least about using this software was when I needed to make changes to the lesson details and maneuvering around the different tabs was a but cumbersome to have. Too many steps to have to make the changes I needed to. Hope that makes sense. Thanks!
July 12, 2018
Lynette V.
Middle School English Teacher
May 15, 2019

“Alma: A Teacher's Point of View”

OverallOur overall experience has been satisfactory. We rarely have the "drama" we dealt with when using our previous software. Keeping up to date more quickly and making changes to make the teacher use more efficient and faster would be of big help.
ProsOur school was first drawn to Alma because it combined a good software to meet student, parent, and teacher needs with great value. Customer service is fantastic. If any of us ask an online question, help is quick.
ConsAlma takes a long time to keep up with the times. For example, we have used it several years, but they just added the ability to enter a score on one student's grade book for a given assignment, and then hit enter, and then an automatic opening to the next student's grade to enter. In effect, it now performs well with a number key pad. Entry was singularly entered one a time which was so slow. In addition, there should be a quicker way to approve report cards. Finally, because we want students to monitory their grades, it would be helpful for them to have their own password access for limited viewing, keeping the parent password private for fuller access.
May 15, 2019
Jenny H.
Director of Information Management
51-200 employees
March 6, 2018

“I have enjoyed the switch to Alma. For the most part, it is user-friendly and intuitive.”

ProsIt does not require extensive training to learn how to use; the parent portal gives parents all the info they need at their fingertips; it has centralized all of our student info and made it accessible to all staff who need it; the report card design process is great--you can really customize it to suit your needs; they are constantly releasing updated and improved features based on customer feedback and requests; customer support is always available and very friendly/responsive.
ConsThe reporting functions are limited--it is frustrating at times not being able to design customized reports or to tweak the built-in reports for your exact needs; teachers have some complaints about gradebook's functionality (although many aspects of the gradebook are much better than our former system--it's tough to find everything you need in one program--there are always going to be tradeoffs); scheduling was a bit of a nightmare (on the other hand, our school's programming is very non-standard and often breaks software); there is no app yet--or even a mobile-friendly view--which is really needed for our population, where a large % of parents use their phones exclusively for internet access.
Ricky D.
Admin & Admissions
March 16, 2016

“Love this tool. Love the customer service even more.”

OverallWe moved from a very expensive and ridiculously difficult system to this one and it has made things so much easier. So far we use Alma mainly for the Grade Book and Attendance and it works really well. Attendance has gone through some changes since we signed up in September 2015 and this has caused a little confusion but once you understand what's happening (contact support) it's quite simple to use. Don't let this deter you though because I've already been assured that changes are coming. Speaking of which you won't get empty promises from these folks. I've requested a couple of updates since we signed up and some were even implemented within a couple of weeks. Everyone is nice to you when they're trying to get your money. The true test of a company's motives is the way they treat their customers after the sale. Well Alma have passed this test with flying colors. Every user (teacher and admin) has direct access to support so queries are usually dealt with pretty quickly since there is no need for support requests to go through me :) One of the best things you can do when you get started is to go through the online documentation in the support area. Many of my questions were answered right there. Be warned though - you may need to actually read :O As far as I can tell there is no perfect system out there (and I tried a ton of them before I found Alma) but with the constant improvements, beautiful interface and top notch customer support you'd be hard pressed to find a better solution. Creating reports cards was actually enjoyable and teachers were very pleasantly surprised by the simplicity of the process on their end. We also haven't been compelled to adopt all the modules at once. Adopting one small section at a time has made transitioning from our old, very outdated processes quite smooth and I for one can't wait to dive into the other features like parent portals and school fees. You guys have a fan for life here :)

By Alma on March 28, 2016
Hi Ricky, We have LOVED working First Baptist Christian School and we look forward to many more years together! Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. As you said, we are constantly improving the platform and we will keep you updated with any changes. Thanks! Elizabeth
Kay A.
August 28, 2019

“Grading Software”

ProsALMA allowed us to do standards based grading in a very efficient and seamless manner. ALMA had Florida standards uploaded for us, so it made it very easy to choose standards for grading. It was very easy to design the template that we wanted to use for our report cards. Responses to questions were almost immediate. ALMA is very intuitive to use - especially for someone like me who is technologically challenged.
ConsNothing stands out as a negative. I would be searching to find something that dissatisfied us.
August 28, 2019
Nikki M.
Academy Director (principal)
March 9, 2016

“Using Alma”

OverallWe began using the Alma gradebook last year, and then the Learning Report feature this year. Initial set up of the files and transfers was a little bumpy with customer service at the beginning of the year, so this accounts for 4 instead of 5 stars. From there, the team has really worked to adjust files to our needs, particularly when we come up to report card time. The program still seems relatively new, as the team is building and embedding resources as it goes, and customer service is responsive to requests for new types of reports. I really appreciate the chat feature in the program, to see which customer service members have seen a message in the queue, and that I get an email if I'm not online to see it. One difficulty that has taken some time is the process of loading our state standards. Only national Common Core standards for math and ELA, and the National Science Standards are available for the gradebook side. This meant hours, hours and hours of work on our part to code and format our state standards to send to Alma so that, hopefully soon, they can be uploaded and our teachers can use them. In the meantime, no scores on the gradebook side can be loaded for any subject other than math, ELA, and science, given that we want to use Common Core and NSS standards for those assignments. The process of loading specialized learning targets for report cards was very easy the first term. Since we were learning the process, teachers wanted to create some adjustments to those for the second term, and that required a huge effort on Alma's end, so we've been nervous and eager to see that working and get reports done in time for parents. Likely, now that we've gone through that with them, it would be easier for other schools if needed from this point forward.

By Alma on March 22, 2016
We are working all of the time to improve our custom and state standards import process. We appreciate not only your patience with the process but your feedback. We also hope to make updating academic targets smoother - as we know these are constantly evolving at schools. We will keep you updated on any progress we make. Thanks again for the feedback!
March 9, 2016
Kieran C.
June 25, 2018

“I greatly enjoyed the user-friendly interface as compared with Plus Portals: Alma had all I need.”

OverallThis was the most user-friendly, aesthetically pleasing learning management platform I have used. The staff seemed friendly and in consistent dialogue for improvement, which puts it ahead of the others I have used.
ProsAside from the user-friendly interface (for faculty, parents, and students), I liked, essentially, how accommodating the site was for my needs. I liked that posting assignments was easy and that eventually the option to duplicate assignments was added. I also like being able to upload files, links, and write (and see clearly!) instructions in the assignment narrative box. Speaking of which, the option to comment thoughtfully on assignments was great.
ConsI remember wishing that I wanted the duplicate feature to duplicate everything as it only copied some of the information, not all of it. I also wish teachers could set preferences, like a memory or default setting, so that I wouldn't have to click between tabs if that was not a frequently used tab (for instance, clicking "details" instead of seeing the student roster when checking assignments).
June 25, 2018
Nicole H.
Teacher - 5th Grade
June 21, 2018

“So easy to use! Great for quick grade updating. ”

OverallIt is easy to use and it makes it so easy to communicate student performance with parents and administrators.
ProsI love how easy it is to use. I can have my students call out scores for homework assignments and be updating them during class time. I also love it as a parent communication tool. With the simple categories and live updates, I can quickly show my parents where their students are struggling simply by updating my gradebook.
ConsI wish the assignments in each subject were sorted with the most recent assignments right next to the students names. I also wish there was a feature that would allow you to email a particular group or class right from the main screen instead of having to open that class.
Dominick J.
February 23, 2018

“Great for standards based grading, but would be much better if they had an app”

Pros-Very easy to grade an assessment on multiple standards -Constantly updating software to make it easier for teachers -Easy to put anecdotal notes on students accounts that parents and teachers can see -It seems that the team at Alma works hard to make any individual changes you might want for your school
Cons-There is no app for teachers, this is a major downside for schools where teachers do a lot on their phone. I miss the days when I used to be able to easily take attendance or access student information from my phone -The grading portal still has some technological kinks that need to be worked out. Sometimes you will click on one student's name and you end up accidentally entering grades for another because the screen jumps. Once you do this it is difficult to delete the grade unless you mark the assignment N/A.
Lauren B.
Assistant Academic Coordinator
Education Management, 5001-10,000 employees
June 23, 2018

“Used for an elementary, has great services, could be improved.”

ProsI LOVE the customer service. They are always willing to work with us and help us adapt the program to what we need. I love the many different reporting features and how they each have a unique description that helps me find exactly what I need. I also like that I can star the reports I frequently use. I like that I am able to easily fill in grades in the "gradebook" tab, as well as having the opportunity to quickly report final grades at the end of the term. I am also happy with the ease in resetting a password for a user who has forgotten theirs as well as the quick ability to change a username. I appreciate that many users can have access to the same information (meaning a student and both of their parents can have their own accounts but access the same information on their child). I think overall I am mostly impressed with Alma's support team, how quickly and professionally they respond, how they will not let me leave the conversation until they are satisfied that all of my questions have been answered and my concerns resolved, and I love that they are constantly updating, making the website better, and then sending out an email with all of the updates and detailed instructions on how to utilize them.
ConsI feel the website could be slightly more user friendly. There are often times it takes longer than I would like to access the information that I need (a lot of clicking through redundant tabs and not a lot of short cuts). I also wish it was easier for parents to understand the website. I don't like that there is no easy way for a parent to access a student's missing work, instead having to look through each class and assignment to see what has and has not been turned in. I also wish there was a way for us, as administrators and teachers, to see exactly what the parents see. It is hard to give advice and support to a parent when their screen looks different from mine; and I often don't know if they can see everything that I can, like all of the notes and assignment descriptions and what not. Otherwise, I am mostly happy with Alma.
June 23, 2018
April B.
May 4, 2018

“Easy to use and provides an enjoyable experience. ”

OverallI am able to quickly get in touch with my students at any time regarding any matter that needs to be addressed.
ProsI like the fact that this software is simple to use with no prior instructions needed to start. I was able to accurately use the software the same day that I bought it meaning that I was able to really get a grasp on how it works. I also am a fact that I can create a file report for each student and write notes daily to track their progress. This is not something that seems to be common with software, but I appreciate the added touch.
ConsI wish that the software gave me the ability to see absences as well as when students have been tardy. Having this information handy would allow me to file my reports more accurately. I also am not a fan of the price tag, I feel as though it could be cheaper.
May 4, 2018
Katy B.
counselor
February 23, 2018

“The absolute worst year I've had as a professional school counselor.”

Overallnone.
ProsYou can log in quickly. The people who have come in to assist with how horrific this year has been have been mostly humble and at least tried to help.
ConsAbsolutely impossible to have what we need at our hands as high school counselors. Everything is laborious or actually impossible to do. It has taken MONTHS to get even tiny bits of advances to make this usable. Transcripts, which are an essential piece for our kids, took 6 months to have functioning, and they're still inaccurate. Scheduling is months behind because the programming is inept for a school this size. It lacks confidentiality and privacy that's important for our students. Household units are not available, access to other buildings makes it impossible to know who has siblings and other people living in their home, which poses a safety issue when filing reports to CPS, report cards are still completely wrong and inaccurate. I could truly go on for an awfully long time, but I digress. At the end of the day, I think I can vouch for every person in my building when I say that this program was rolled out in a deplorable way, changes and improvements are slow and sometimes non-existent, and it's made me reconsider even working in this corporation due to how terrible this system is. A program in its infancy has been detrimental to every single stakeholder in this corporation, and I've been disappointed since the first day of training in August.

By Alma on February 27, 2018
We truly appreciate you taking the time to help us improve the Alma experience. Change can be difficult, and while most Alma users have had positive experiences, we are continuously improving because our mission of serving educators like you is our life work. Along those lines, we have the industry's leading response time to customer inquiries by a factor of 10. We love working with your corporation because of the positive impact it is having on its students -- and we know its an organization you can be proud to be a part of. Other similarly-sized districts in the Alma family currently enjoy the flexibility, security and power our platform provides - and we'd love to explore how we can bring you to that same opinion. Your account manager will reach out to set up a time to go over (and fix) any issues needing attention.
Kathryn S.
Education Management, 201-500 employees
February 23, 2018

“Alma is not providing teachers with and easy to use platform for grading, attendance, etc. ”

ProsI like that I can look up any student in our school and see that student's schedule and current information.
Cons1. Our students (Seniors especially) cannot get their current transcripts. This is troubling for many reasons. Perhaps the most important being their choices for scholarships and higher education will be affected by this. Students cannot apply for financial assistance through scholarships without current transcripts. I have personally spoken with at least three students who have missed out on scholarship opportunities, simply because they cannot access current transcripts. 2. Can't see overall student GPA 3. Can't see student class rank 4. Student Mobile usage is very confusing. Can't see grades the way they should. 5. Ease of access is horrible 6. No mobile app, and mobile website is very difficult to read 7. Not organized well 8. When emailing "all students" I cannot exclude certain classes; I can't email multiple classes at once without including EVERYONE 9. For attendance, it is very confusing. If a student is marked present first class, they are marked present for the entire day. This was clearly set up for use in an Elementary School. High School is different. We need to be able to see where our students are throughout the day. 10. Inputting grades takes many more steps than our previous system. There is no way to toggle between students with the keyboard. 11. There should be a way to block certain people from seeing certain information. At the beginning of the school year, student Social Security Numbers were viewable by any teacher or staff in our building.

By Alma on February 27, 2018
Below we briefly address each of your concerns. But, because your satisfaction is our starting point, we will also follow-up for a deeper conversation about this. We want you to be elated with Alma! #1, 2, 3, 9, 10, 11) We do provide the functionality you're describing and would love to review each item with you. Based on the information you provided, these concerns may indicate further training is needed. Your Account Manager will be in touch soon or you can always contact us through our in-app support. #5 and 7) Most of Alma¿s users love our ease-of-use, navigation, and access, but as with all things, we can/will keep getting better. Let¿s discuss further. #4 and 6) Depending on the phone size and the gradebook in use, the experience for viewing student grades on a phone can be less than ideal. We are actively exploring more options. #8) Great idea! This is the first time we have heard this, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. Your suggestion has been logged
Lindsey M.
Dean of Teaching and Learning
March 2, 2018

“Alma has been great as responding to our requests for improvements and additional features.”

ProsI love the visual simplicity of the grade book and the compatibility with Standards Based Grading. Not many grading softwares have the finesse for options and sophistication within SB. I've also had great response from folks on the team to help fix issues quickly and respond to inquiries.
ConsWe are still figuring out how to set up out report card to best reflect SBG. Since our school writes narrative reports in addition to assigning standards, the option for narrative reports still needs some work. Our teachers write extensive narrative reports, and currently, the text options are pretty minimal, including text edit features when copying and pasting from an outside document. Additionally, we'd LOVE to see compatibility with Google Classroom for assignments and the grade book.
March 2, 2018
11-50 employees
November 10, 2017

“Very easy to use an constantly improving”

OverallMuch much easier to manage student data than power school
ProsAlma has a great and beautiful interface and its very easy to use. The support is excellent, easy to access, and very responsive. We wanted to replace Power School because it was difficult to use and felt like it was designed for larger institutions, requiring more resources than we have.
ConsWhen the product was new it wasn't as robust as other similar software but they take user feedback and constantly add new features.

By Alma on February 26, 2018
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us a review! It's great to hear how user friendly you find Alma to be, and yes, we are constantly improving. New updates each week! Thanks again!
November 10, 2017
Tyler P.
February 27, 2018

“I've been using alma daily for 3.5 as a teacher and find it to be incredibly user friendly.”

OverallAs a teacher, alma makes it very easy for me to keep students and families up to date on student progress.
ProsAlma's user interface is easy to navigate every step of the way - from taking attendance to posting and grading assignments to creating and publishing report cards. Features are easy to use and customizable by class. Their customer support team is consistently responsive to requests and does an effective job communicating and offering support for new features.
ConsIn the future, I'd love to see alma develop an app for mobile devices or a more user-friendly mobile version of the website.
Marsha K.
Administrative Assistant to the Head of School
February 27, 2018

“New growing company willing to create a highly competitive program for all educational venues.”

ProsClean and easy to navigate whether on the parent side or on the administrative side. Customer service is also quick to respond when we are in need.
ConsQueries of information cannot be easily accessible unless requested. School families are unable to access their own personal information to edit. Families would also like to be able to see contact information for families within their child's class. It would be beneficial if families could email their student's parents just as teachers can so that they may plan for upcoming parties, field trips, etc. without contacting the school for names, emails, etc.
Yoselin W.
Instructor
June 26, 2018

“Super simple to Handel and navigate. Makes my life as a teacher easy. ”

OverallAble to learn a universal program that could potentially be used at a different school.
ProsI LOVE the new and easy way to submit grades. Easy few step process. Before there was a more complex way and now it's a simple three-step process to submit y'all my grades. I have group grades and I LOVE that it separates them by grade.
ConsThere is absolutely nothing negative. The whole system is consistently improving and making it that much easier for teachers to use in our short amount of time to submit grades for all of our classes.
Rima N.
Principal
June 26, 2018

“using ALMA has been convenient. ”

ProsFinding all the information related to students all in one place. The student and parent portals are very useful aspects of ALMA. The ability to communicate, in bulk, with different groups. School announcements is a good feature. Alma Start is a potentially great service.
Conswe are not able to use Arabic to enter information (we are a school in Lebanon, where Arabic is the official language) It would be a good idea to be able to share disciplinary incidents on the parent and/or student portals.
Karyn T.
HS Principal
June 11, 2015

“Awesome Program!”

OverallPros: Price can't be beat; extremely user friendly; best customer service ever experienced - they listen to your needs and try to give you exactly what you want and they respond immediately; personal training for your school; help available by email and phone; product still being developed so as a customer you have a lot of input; live demo when deciding to use or not Cons: No accounting or student discipline record keeping options; admin privileges are all or nothing - you cannot give someone admin privileges for just one task without giving them access to all admin privileges; product still being developed so had to wait for certain features My experience with Alma has been great! We're a new school, so have an extremely limited budget. We had expected to have to settle for a grading program and Excel or Access for the admin. Alma was the perfect choice for us! They have been so helpful and fast with their customer service. They are new, so are still working out the kinks, but each time they change something, it just makes our use of the program easier. Alma is so user friendly, I could have learned the program by just exploring on my own, but the live tutorial for our school saved me the time. Alma only charges for certain features and even those costs are nominal. There are only a couple more features I'd like to see in Alma, the financial and discipline record keeping. Other than that, it's got everything we have needed this year.

By Alma on June 11, 2015
Hi Karyn, Thank you for the kind words! The good news is we will have a discipline feature available for next year! We will not have a full accounting tool next year but we are building a fee tracking tool. If there are other features that could benefit Pleasant Grove don't hesitate to let Karen know. We are always adding new features!
June 11, 2015
Maria Elisa V.
Third Grade Teacher
June 21, 2018

“Alma was useful for me as a teacher. It helped me stay organized in my plannings and assessments”

ProsWhat I liked the most about this Software is that it helps teachers to stay organized in their daily plannings, but also in the evaluation process. This was my first year as a teacher, and I loved using ALMA because I got the chance to put all the information that I needed in that Software. Just by clicking on ALMA I could take attendance, find information about my students, update my plannings, follow the CCSS Standards and upload the grades.
ConsAt the beginning of the school year, it was a little complicated for me to understand how ALMA worked. I had to ask many times to the Principal of my school about how to upload my daily plannings and align the assessments to the Standards. However, after a few weeks of practicing, it became easier for me.
Cheri S.
October 3, 2016

“Alma Review”

OverallI'm happy with the improvements are have been made. I'd like to see a seating chart for each class. The system could create it by abc's, age, boy/girl or randomly.
ProsCan access on-line at home or work.
ConsLots of clicking. Must click many times to enter grades. I'd like to be able to 10 key.
Recommendations to other buyersAdd a seating chart option.

By Alma on November 8, 2016
Hi Cheri, Thank you so much for taking the time to send in your feedback! We agree that the ability to create a seating chart would be a great addition to Alma and the team is currently working on a way to make this possible in the near future. Again, thank you for your feedback! Best, Kelly
October 3, 2016
Christina W.
School Counselor
April 6, 2016

“Excited for the future”

OverallPros-Customer service is great. They work on updates almost every week as their product continues to grow and expand to meet the needs of school districts. Cons-They are developing the transcript and the scheduler component. That is why I rated overall as 4 star instead of 5.(I am a high school counselor). Ease of use is continuing to get better and better with each update they make. It's not that the program is hard to use it is just that occasionally there are a few more clicks you have to make in order to get to where you want to be. However, they have added a few things just in the last week that are making it easier and more efficient to use.(gradebook updates, search bar, etc) Making the jump to Alma was a big leap at the high school because when we started they did not have a scheduler component or a transcript. This made me very nervous as a high school counselor who uses both of these items. However, I was tired of having to track students using a credit worksheet. I know that with a year or two Alma will be were the high school needs them to be. The parents and students have made many comments about how easy it is for them to use their side of Alma. The communication tools within Alma are easy to use and something I use to reach parents/students about different opportunities, scholarships, testing dates, etc. I am excited to be on this journey with Alma and feel like we are headed in the right direction!

By Alma on November 9, 2016
Hi Christina, Thank you for this valuable feedback! We are happy to hear that you and your parents are finding Alma easy to use. Thank you for trusting us to meet your scheduling and transcript needs - scheduled improvements are definitely on our roadmap in the months ahead! Kind regards, Kelly
April 6, 2016
Ryan S.
Principal
April 6, 2019

“Principal's opinion (who has used multiple SIS systems)”

OverallI have had the most postive experience dealing with the Alma staff. I work at an International school in Southeast Asia and they will regularly make time to chat online.
Pros- I love the integration with google classroom. In this way it essentialy forms an SIS and LMS into one. - I love that the staff is so progressive and open to feedback. Really kind people with a passion for education are the type of people I want to work with - I love that they are constantly updating to make the product better based on the feedback of their customers - I love that it is so well laid out and easy to use. People who have used other SIS systems can certainly appreciate this.
Cons- I would like to see the integration of performance rubrics that can be tied to the gradebook
April 6, 2019
Elizabeth D.
Principal/School Counselor
November 6, 2018

“CTA”

OverallExcellent. This is our 4th year with Alma. They've added so many features, making it better and better.
ProsThe Interface is highly intuitive and easy to figure out.
ConsThe problems I've had were that they let us purchase features that weren't actually ready. I think it wasn't fair, and it ended up creating problems, and Alma never apologizes or admits that they weren't ready. A few features don't make sense for us, and they're not customizable.
November 6, 2018
Bonnie M.
Curriculum Specialist/Teacher
Education Management, 201-500 employees
November 4, 2018

“Easy to use grading system”

OverallI work for a K-9 charter school and we use Alma to keep track of our student grades. I am not all that computer literate but Alma has been quite easy to learn and is capable of keeping and organizing all the information we need as a school.
ProsAlma is easy to use with various features that make keeping track of grades easy and accessible.
ConsIt took a little bit of time to learn how to use it since it was very different from the system we had been using.
November 4, 2018
November 3, 2018

“Ease of Use”

OverallThis is my 2nd year of working with ALMA. I have worked on many other school products for attendance and grades, and this is definitely the clearest one I have worked on.
ProsIt is easy to find everything I need when adding assignments and grades for my students. I love that I can add comments with each assignment. It is easy to go between classes from one feature of ALMA to another. I am also a parent, and I love how I can quickly see my child's grades, AND missing assignments on one page. This helps us keep up with what needs to be done.
ConsI can't think of anything that I really dislike.
November 3, 2018
Martha (Sandy) C.
Teacher/Vice-principal
June 29, 2018

“Customer support is immediately available-this is a reliable aspect of Alma and the reason I recomme”

OverallExcellent management of student information - excellence in parent communication through Alma.
ProsWide variety of features and uses - also, the immediacy of customer support - when we have suggested the need for new features, these options have been added
ConsOccasional shut-downs due to updates - otherwise, I don't really think of aspects that I don't like. Our past experience with RenWeb was negative, so Alma is comparatively flawless.
June 29, 2018
Hannah W.
Registrar

“Awesome program!”

OverallGreat program for student records, accounts, parent information and transcripts. Alma is quickly becoming one of the best programs for schools!
ProsEasy to figure out and work with. Awesome customer service and quick. You do not have to be technically advanced to work this program. Love the access to students, and parents and ease of access.
ConsWould like to customize the layouts on transcripts a little more.
Michael F.
College Counselor and Director of Outreach

“Super happy with Alma”

OverallAlma has been a game changer for us. As a small college-prep school with a very small administrative team, it was next to impossible for us to keep track of things like attendance and assignments on a day to day basis. We had tried other services and found them cumbersome and to have way too many features for our needs. When we implemented Alma this past summer, it was like a breath of fresh air. Using it is very simple, intuitive, and it's kept us much more connected with our families as well as allowed for parents to be able to more easily track their child's progress on a day to day basis. The one thing I really want to highlight here though is their customer service. It is, bar none, the best customer service team I've ever worked with. Responses to questions are extremely fast, patient, and kind. They are flexible with requests and are very open to feedback. I was happy with the product when we adopted it, but was blown away by the outstanding customer service. While there are definitely features that we wish Alma had (the biggest one by far being the ability to have it work well on mobile and/or have an app), in general it's been great, and they add features frequently as a growing service. I have a feeling that Alma will only improve on an already great project as time goes on. I recommend them highly.

By Alma on March 30, 2016
Michael, thank you so much for the kind words! We work really hard to make the platform simple and intuitive and it is great to hear that we are succeeding at that! We know how important a mobile app is and we hope to have that available over the next year. We will keep you updated!
Bob W.
Middle School Teacher
December 4, 2018

“Alma”

OverallThis past week one of my class grades was deleted accidentally by the office while in the process of grading the first trimester. Alma recovered the grades and sent them to the office the very next day.
ProsThe ease of use grading. The software allows the user to add one subject or grade to another class with just one click.
ConsSometimes the forms are long and hard to read on display.
December 4, 2018
Adam P.
Assistant Principal
February 27, 2018

“Great customer service. ”

ProsThough it took some time to get adjusted to a new management system, the people of Alma were always willing to listen and try to meet our needs. The best part of the system is it is continuing to grow, new features are added monthly.
ConsThe system works relatively smoothly, but there are times where I need a specific report that I cannot pull. There is a form builder beta that I am looking forward to see developed. Additionally, I would like to see a data warehouse portion of the system. One stop shopping would be nice.
Jean-Philippe F.
Director of Technology
July 20, 2016

“A killer SIS.”

OverallEvery SIS should be this easy and straight forward. The team at Alma is extraordinary. The product is easy to use and efficient.
ProsPerfect. It give you all that you need from an SIS. I mean...it really is.
ConsLimited scope. I am Director of Technology at a private school. The system is not as robust as a Blackbuad or Veracross, yet.

By Alma on November 8, 2016
Hi Jean-Philippe, Thank you so much! I'm so happy to hear that you find our product so easy to use. And yes, we release product updates each week so continue to let us know what types of improvements you would like to see within the system - we listen and use every bit of feedback! Kelly
July 20, 2016
Daniel M.
April 19, 2019

“Best of the School Management platforms”

ProsThe user interface is exceptional. Ease of use is exquisite when compared to alternatives which make school management complicated and clumsy.
ConsAny issue I have had with the problem, few and far between, have been swiftly addressed by our representative and our feedback was used to improve the platform.
April 19, 2019
Francys H.
Academic Secretary
May 12, 2019

“Great Service!”

OverallIn AngloAmerican School is great tools for comunications, save information, and keep conecting with our parents, students and co-wokers.
ProsI like ALMA cause they have a good service with their customer. Every i need help or information, they did ASAP and resolved my issues.
ConsNothing, i like versatality and easy manage .
May 12, 2019
Caitlin J.
Assistant Principal
March 8, 2018

“Alma changed the way we look at student information!”

ProsThe visual interface is intuitive and logical in its progressions. The customer support is immediate and tailored to your specific need.
ConsIt is still difficult to create your own reports, but the interface is progressing. We are also working towards a Data Warehouse solution that is still in the building stages.
March 8, 2018
Randy W.
Assistant Superintendent

“An SIS to grow with”

OverallThe move to Alma has been a great step for our school district. It is simpler and more comprehensive than our old SIS.
ProsThe customer service at Alma is unmatched. They are attentive to the growing needs of school districts and work to try to accommodate feature requests. From the parent side, the interface is simple and clean and has the pertinent information front and center.
ConsThe emergency alerting by phone is an area in need of improvement.
Linda K.
School secretary
June 28, 2018

“This was my first year using Alma. Our school has used it for 2 years”

ProsI like the ease of keeping attendance and being able to email the parents. The parents like the ease of checking their children's grades and assignments.
ConsI am having trouble learning the report card program. I am still receiving training for this but it seems very difficult to have to switch back and forth from one program to another. I sure once I understand it with more training I will like it. My trainer does.
June 28, 2018
Susan P.
School Counselor
March 9, 2018

“Dysfunctional, Disorganized, Shallow, Time Consuming, Primitive, Not intuitive, Poor Design ”

OverallNone
ProsI have found little positive to say about the functioning of the software. It does not fit the size of our organization and the design structure is too primitive. There are too many steps involved for transactions.
Cons*the que*lack of confidentiality*process of accessing information, having to scroll through entire population to select students for reports*scheduling functionality is primitive* data reliability and validity for student grades and transcripts* student and parent use has diminished* report card processing is cumbersome* student display of schedule; no full year* student print out of schedule and on and on

By Alma on March 16, 2018
Wow, Susan. We are dismayed to see your experience with Alma doesn't match the rest of our users! Thank you for the feedback. As you can see from nearly all of Alma's other reviews, this seems to be an isolated issue with just your school. (We are even getting stellar reviews from others in your district, and in your school.) Alma is built to handle any size school or district - big and small, so we may need to drill down and figure out what training is still needed. We understand change can be challenging, which is why our world-class customer service team is always here to help. Our platform is widely recognized as having the most intuitive design and easy to use interactivity, while providing the deepest data insights available. We look forward to improving your experience! Your account manager will reach out to help you through this transition.
March 9, 2018
Hector M.
Data Manager
March 6, 2018

“Great at what it does, though limited in what it does...”

OverallGood customer service. Fast/easy learning curve.
ProsSuper user-friendly. Beautiful interface. Easy on teachers and admins. Partial sync with Google Classroom.
ConsLack of many modules: Library, admissions, facilities... Lack of Google integration (email, calendars...). Clunky calendar features.
Education Management, Unspecified
February 26, 2018

“Alma has made life so much easier! ”

ProsIt is user friendly and integrates so many different pieces of information into one place. I am able to click on a student name and see their siblings, parents, attendance, report cards, disciplinary infractions and so on with just a few clicks!
ConsThere are a few minor improvements which we have asked Alma to improve, and they have been responsive to these adjustments.

By Alma on February 27, 2018
"Alma has made life so much easier!" -- music to our ears. Our easy-to-use interface and powerful (yet incredibly flexible) technology is why so many schools and districts are making the switch to Alma! Thank you for the feedback, we appreciate it.
February 26, 2018
Stacey K.
Operations Manager
January 5, 2018

“We have recently started the transition to Alma and have found the transition to be well supported.”

OverallThis software is more modern that what we were using. It is very user friendly and aesthetically pleasing. It simplifies the steps needed to achieve our goals.
ProsI like the clean layout and user friendly design. The customer support team is responsive and helpful. Overall our transition has gone smoothly.
ConsI wish there was an app for teachers to make attendance and entering grades simpler. I also wish there would have been an easy way to transfer historical data from grade levels below high school. It would be great if payments could be processed through Alma. I look forward to seeing the enrollment forms and helps Alma will offer.

By Alma on February 26, 2018
It's great to hear that your transition went smoothly. Sometimes this can be the hardest part depending on what shape your data is in! Our admissions feature, Alma Start, is going to save you a huge amount of time and will be a very professional look on the parent facing side of Alma. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know your thoughts. Your feedback has been noted and passed along to the team!
January 5, 2018
Heather R.
Senior Manager, Marketing & Technology
June 23, 2017

“Excellent product with great user interface. Very easy to set up, use, and navigate. ”

ProsVery intuitive interface. Excellent customer service. Frequent updates that take customer requests into consideration.
ConsSome inflexibility across users (i.e. directory access). Software is very user friendly, for both novice users and those with more experience.

By Alma on January 8, 2018
Hi Heather, Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your feedback! We are happy to hear that you feel that Alma very intuitive and easy to navigate. Thank you for the constructive feedback about our directory - we are actually in the process of revamping that as we speak. Something to look forward to! You have a been a great customer to work with. Looking forward to our many Alma years together!
June 23, 2017
Carlo F.
Tacher
E-Learning, Self-employed
May 11, 2019

“Why I like Alma”

OverallI teach Computer Science online to Multinational students of Safir American School and I find it very easy management of grading and issuing of report cards.
ProsAutomatic grading according to predefined grading policy.
ConsThere is no record of emails sent to students or their parents.
May 11, 2019
Greg H.
Assistant Principal for Academic Affairs
April 9, 2018

“ALMA is customer friendly and extremely responsive.”

ProsALMA provides flexibility and responsiveness to individual needs. ALMA continues to grow at a rapid pace developing new features which are design to expedite the management of student data.
ConsALMA is continuing to evolve and increase functionality as well as unique features. While the system is not old, it provides all of the necessary tools and has increased functionality considerably every year.
April 9, 2018
April H.
Lead Secretary
February 28, 2018

“People are unhappy thru out the school system, very disappointing.”

OverallFace page has all in one, everything needed for information of a student.
ProsCommon sense functions, easy to move about. I like the look of the program and is easy to teach to other users. I like how the reports card area is set up, altho we can not print them easily without a pdf converter!
ConsReports -reports are not in pdf forms as needed. Hate the reports, most secretaries do not have time to mess with formats and a lot of us do not have the software to even do so, corporations do not want to provide that due to budgeting. Please start making PDF options. The reports options are basically useless for my position of lead secretary. Not doing well with our higher grade level schools. We can not even run reports cards.... the reports make us do more work, and we do not need more work . We do not have the abilities to use the reports. PDF form is a better option for secretaries. The biggest complaint thru the system is Reports are not what we need....

By Alma on March 6, 2018
Hi April, This is great feedback! Every user has different needs with the data produced in reports. Some users want to manipulate the data, which is when excel and CSV files are best. And others wish to see and share the data in a more formal way. That is when PDFs are most helpful. Depending on the report, we can make PDF an option as well as CSV! Your Account Manager will reach out to better understand which reports we should amend.
February 28, 2018
Sten S.
High School Director
February 27, 2018

“Alma is visually appealing to students, staff, and parents. Navigating the system is intuitive. ”

OverallConnection to google classroom is great. Students can easily access and utilize the system. Staff can easily submit grades.
ProsCustomer service is excellent. If there is ever a problem I can use the online chat to get answers or call Alma. Alma offers custom reports to meet the individualized needs of schools.
ConsThe reports section needs attention. Waiting for an upgrade so that data can be more easily customized.