SmartFile Ratings

Overall

About SmartFile

SmartFile is a file management solution that enables everyone to more securely share, manage and control files on-premise and online. SmartFile offers the best and most robust file access permissions and custom user roles for added security. Activity logs for user and file actions are kept in a perpetual log for HIPAA compliant auditing. Email notifications, virtual folder links, FTP, SFTP, and FTPS access points. Learn more about SmartFile

Zach W.
CTO, CCO
Publishing, 1-10 employees
January 25, 2019

“Overall really good but room for improvement”

ProsThis is a great out of the box solution. It was fairly easy to set up. Nothing difficult to administer. Overall, this is exactly what we needed and I'm very glad we use SmartFile.
ConsThere are so many little things that are easy fixes that would make the experience much more pleasant. I don't have a problem uploading files (i use it nearly every day) but a lot of the people on our team that use SmartFile struggle with certain things. Little things like having to click upload and then dragging and dropping in the the drop zone (that doesn't highlight when you drag a file over it) and then submit. People understand a file system. I would suggest imitating more of the features of a file system, at least for drag and drop. Sorting files takes several steps. It would be nice it this was faster. Uploading and downloading can be painfully slow at times. And no, its not our internet. Its you. We have a dedicated 1Gb download and upload line. Uploading and downloading from other servers are consistently faster. We upload to S3 every day and its always ten times faster. When we are transferring small files this isn't an issue. When we transfer a huge files. It becomes an issue. I really like the activities feed. Its very helpful for reviewing activity on our account. The activity feed works great some times but fails to load at other time or is incredibly slow. Make this just work. Along the same lines, the notifications are extremely helpful but delayed too long. I have a lot of team members who ask me to switch to dropbox. They have various reasons, not all legitimate, but some are. Look at their UI. Look at what they are doing. Its really easy to use.
Evan S.
Vessel IT Team Lead
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1001-5000 employees
August 26, 2019

“Great unlimited sharing platform. FTP and webdav support are a huge plus!”

ProsEase of use and setup of shares and links. accessibility for users.
ConsWhen issues do arise, we have had lackluster support in some cases. we have had this product for over 5 years.
August 26, 2019
Education Management, 11-50 employees

“Review of SmartFile”

OverallThe business problem that SmartFile solves is allowing lots of file storage which I use for daily backups of mission critical files.
ProsFirst and foremost, I like the fact that this service exists. I needed a place to backup files via ftp, and there are few places that allow for using ftp and allow this much file storage. There are a lot of features offered that I was not looking for, but they sure do come in handy. It is nice to have a web based interface and to be able to quickly generate and share a link with an expiration date.
ConsWe have had some issues with a false message saying we reached our limit. I have been working with tech support, and they are assisting with the issue. Tech support responds quickly, and I really do appreciate that.

By SmartFile on January 28, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Our engineers were made aware of this issue and are currently working on a patch to resolve the problem. We do apologize for the inconvenience and will continue to update all customers experiencing this issue with our progress.
Mark W.
Client Services
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
January 26, 2019

“TBD”

OverallTBD, building a business process and the single coupling to Okta has made us rethink our approach but in a way it's a good thing because we've decoupled storage from user context.
ProsThe offering provides a very polished interface and the ability to set your own branding are very well implemented in SmartFile.
ConsSSO provider support is limited solely to Okta which, while one of the larger providers in the space this sole point of support suggests that support and integration are generally intended to focus support, integration, and their business offering to Fortune 500 organizations.

By SmartFile on January 28, 2019
Mark - Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback, and I agree that our SSO options are limited. This limitation is due to SmartFile having one of the largest FTP user bases in the world. Over 75% of our user activities are FTP, and our user permissions are built to support this. Most SSO providers (ie. Google, Facebook, LinkedIn) only support an email as a username and therefore does not permit a non-email login. In order to offer more SSO providers, we would have to require users to use a SSO login for the web interface and a separate login for FTP. We felt having multiple login methods would cause a high rate of confusion to our user base and chose not to move forward with additional SSO providers. Also, you're correct in your assumption regarding enterprises. To meet our enterprise customers security requirements we did integrate with Okta and we just rolled SSO using Azure. Thanks again for your feedback and comments.
January 26, 2019
Arturo U.
IT MANAGER
Animation, 11-50 employees
February 1, 2019

“Perfect if you are not setting up your own FTP Server”

OverallOur experience with SmartFile has been a positive one. We use it to transport files to and from our sister studios in China and we find that this is one of the only FTP servers that makes it to China.
ProsMy colleges and I love that we can access our files via the web anytime.
ConsThe web portal times out on long downloads and we do get partial downloads that way, smaller files are fine to be accessed that way but when moving project files over 11gigs, we have to use FileZilla or any other FTP clients since those can be set up to continue an upload/download without having to start all over again.
Architecture & Planning, 201-500 employees
February 1, 2019

“An easy to use FTP file management with powerful features”

ProsWhat I like about SmartFile is that is easy to use and provides powerful features for companies that rely on FTP as part of their business. I like how we can organize everything and specially how we can give access to clients to upload the files needed to work on their projects. The main reason we had chosen SmartFile is that we do business in China and the US and file transferring is a problem due to China's security wall. SmartFile manages this very well and it was the best service we tried uploading files from the US to download them in China. More than 5 services tried, some of them more expensive, and SmartFile was the fastest.
ConsThe software provides us with what we need. If could improve something, it would be the interface. It's easy to navigate but needs a revamp to make it look more up to date.
Donald S.
Dir Of Product Management
Computer Software, 51-200 employees

“SmartFile Review”

OverallMy overall experience has been positive. Our customers and prospect appreciate the secure FTP capability. We have found the system very easy to administer, and the tech support has been very responsive.
ProsThe thing I like most about SmartFile is that it provided me a quick way to get out of my on-prem FTP server and easily provide secure inbound and outbound FTP to my customers.
ConsIf I could change anything about SmartFile it would be two things. I would like more control over the configuration of the system generated emails. I would like to customize them more. The other thing would be a more straightforward way of creating common folders that all of our administrators could share.
Media Production, 1-10 employees
January 25, 2019

“Smartfile - A Real Solution for File Sharing”

OverallOverall, Smartfile has been an absolute gem for me and my colleagues. Uploading and downloading for both employees and client is very easy and intuitive.
ProsSmartfile does exactly what I need it to do. The ability to send and receive large files in addition to sharing them in vast levels of secure measures.
ConsMy only gripes right now is that you cannot share files and get feedback on the files themselves. For example, if I send a video I am working on with a client, I cannot create a centralized "hub" for feedback like some competitors do. The only other capability that I wish it would have would be having desktop capabilities to upload/manage content.
Andrew C.
Director Application Support
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
February 5, 2019

“Great Product, Great Price”

OverallThey have been very helpful and when we do have problems their support is very timely and they have resolved all of our problems in a very short amount of time. Very happy with the product
ProsIt is easy to use I set up managers for their own areas and let them create their own users. It is easy for people to use, even non technical people.
ConsAs managers create users for their area and when the manager leaves the users are still tied to a manage that is no longer with the company. I wish there was a way to take all of the users who are tied to a manager and move them to a new account.
Carol M.
Vice President
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
January 25, 2019

“Good tool for our business”

OverallSmartFile has been a valuable tool for our business, and we use it for document transfer. I am not certain if we are using all of the SmartFile features to our best advantage.
ProsWe like the flexibility of Smart File, where we can set up branded portals for our clients, and provide them with links and passwords for secure access. We can set up our own file structure, and have control over whether clients can download or download and upload.
ConsWe have had several occasions where the site was unavailable due to technical difficulties.
Wholesale, 11-50 employees

“Great service”

OverallWe use SmartFile to move large image files and CAD files.
ProsSmartFile helps us achieve the necessary connections with our overseas vendors and our domestic customers. Some services similar to SmartFile could not reliably connect to in some countries, such as China.
ConsI would like to see a better API that is also better documented.
Trevor G.
Government Relations, Self-employed

“Good Service”

OverallSmartfile seems to be a small firm, or they just have support who monitors activity. The bottom line, they are very timely in responding to the emails in the past.
ProsI needed an online service to be able to share confidential files with people I work with. I chose this service because I am able to create the user names/passwords and then I am able to verbally give them the information. All they have to do is login and download the file(s). This seems safer than sending links to websites via email. That system does not seem as secure since those emails could be intercepted.
ConsThe limit of users is the issue for me. In my case, I will need a user from anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks, on average. But that is not in constant use. I may send a file(s) to them a handful of times during that time. So, I rotate the 4 account names quite often, depending on who needs a file at the time. More users at a lower rate might interest me in paying for more users, considering the small file sizes / frequency of access I have.
Angela K.
Art Director
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
January 25, 2019

“GREAT INTERNATIONAL FILE TRANSFER SOLUTION”

OverallMy company was unable to effectively share files with our printers in China. Smartfile enabled this necessity for us successfully.
ProsI really like that I am able to transfer files internationally easily and know that my customer or vendor is able to download the files I send them with little or no problems.
ConsWhen generating a shared link I detest having to go in and check a box every single time that says all files within a folder will be shared before I generate a shared link. This should be automatic as it is on other cloud data transfer solutions. Many of my coworkers who don't use smartfile often don't realize this has to be done and miss this important step in sharing files.
Jesse Paul S.
Regional Sales Consultant
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
February 1, 2019

“Quality FTP for your Business”

ProsI really enjoyed almost every feature provided by SmartFile, including the easy to use interface that can be customized to emulate brand look and feel and the ability to create a hub for my clients to use.
ConsThe only piece that I didn't appreciate was the price. My business is fairly small so the costs can quickly add up but I know SmartFile is the best solution for my business and clients and that is whay matters most.
Max A.
Director of Interactive Media
Design, 1-10 employees

“8 years of use”

OverallAlmost flawless
Pros- Wide variety of services and functions - Wide variety of connexion type - Almost no downtime - Automations - Good support
Cons- Price can be lower (depend on the services you really need) - Access to Custom Branding only for higher price plan
Joshua W.
IT Director
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees
February 2, 2019

“Smart File”

ProsVery simple to setup Users acclimated with ease
ConsConfusing platform to share files, The buttons are not obvious on how to use it. (took me a while to figure out i needed to push the upload button, the 0% made me think it was already uploading. I needed to make directions for all of my users on how to use this service, and they were detailed with screenshots.
February 2, 2019
Peter M.
Airlines/Aviation, Self-employed

“SmartFile Review”

OverallI am required to keep BU off site
ProsLots of options to tailor cost to need Just keeps working
ConsOptions don't well match my needs I would like an option for old versions to be deleted so usage does not continuously grow.
Rachel W.
Assistant Director for Broadcasting and Communications
Public Relations and Communications, 1-10 employees

“Smart File Review”

OverallWe are connecting all ten of our members to our files in a very efficient and cost-effective way.
ProsThe software is really easy to use and we have not had any issues in over a year.
ConsWe really have not had any issues at all. The only thing I have noticed is that sometimes my login will expire when downloading a large file and so I have to start over.
darshan P.
Dir. IT
Sports, 51-200 employees
January 31, 2019

“over all good product”

Overalllove it but can not replace other services because of Video upload speed
Prosvery easy to setup and configure for everything
Consit is running very slow for video files
January 31, 2019
Ted M.
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees
January 25, 2019

“Perfect Fit For Our Company”

OverallWe use it on a daily basis, Finding files is very easy.
ProsIt is very easy to use. Seamless integration with our software.
ConsI have never had an issue using Smart File.
Dan Z.
Chief Technology Officer
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
January 25, 2019

“Simple option for hosted FTP, FTPS, SFTP”

ProsReasonably priced, easy to use and supports multiple protocols -thus giving us very good ROI by not having to support multiple FTP infrastructures.
ConsNothing really. So far it has worked great for us.
Dan P.
Design, 1-10 employees

“SmartFile Review”

OverallNeed more options for smaller business, the upgrade options jump to high for the next level
ProsFTP and web based uploads and downloads...FTP was important to me
ConsDownloading folders (as zip...) takes a long time and does not always work.
Jon Q.
IT Manager
Construction, 51-200 employees

“SmartFile - Good Value”

OverallOverall the service works good, Support is good.
ProsUnlimited storage / Unlimited users for the one price
ConsSystem is slow. Updates sometimes break features and have to wait until next update to get fixed.
Katie K.
CMO
Internet, 51-200 employees

“Ease of Use”

ProsI needed this to seamlessly integrate some files via an FTP. Smartfile did the job.
ConsI can't think of an issues I have had or anything that I don't like, really.
Banking, 51-200 employees
February 4, 2019

“Secure file portal”

OverallThis solution was perfect for our needs. We used this almost like an extranet and way for sharing sensitive documents with customers. Customers and business able to drag and drop files into a familiar explorer window and share files with ease, while still being secure,
ProsOn premise solution that we used to secure file transfer and storage of customer data.
ConsThe cost seemed a bit high, but you do get what you pay for!
February 4, 2019
Tim B.
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
January 28, 2019

“Good product. Subpar interface and customer experience.”

OverallWe had hoped to provide clients a branded cloud folder they could use for our clients. Serving as an intermediary has been challenging.
ProsThe structure of the software is great, and people really like the user settings and branding options.
ConsI've been trying to change my subscription status for two years. The customer service has been a runaround between a person saying to use the website and the website saying we have to talk to a person. We'll end up just cancelling as a result.

By SmartFile on January 29, 2019
Tim - Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues changing your subscription. Can you please email me at the address I've included and I will make certain we take care of your problem.
Matt S.
Co-Founder/Vice President
Retail, 1-10 employees
February 1, 2019

“Great system...but somtimes slow.”

OverallNot many complaints here. It's a good system and works with our liasons in China, which was the main purpose of using it over something like Dropbox.
ProsI like that there's a desktop component as well as a web interface so I can use it almost anywhere.
ConsIt's a little slow to access files on desktop and prohibitively slow to upload files on the desktop. I typically use the web interface to upload docs so that it goes faster.
Elfego S.
IT Systems Admin
E-Learning, 51-200 employees

“Great Tool”

ProsWe needed an sFTP service with an easy to use UI for customers to share information with. This platform did the trick!
ConsThe UI could be improved a bit (modernized), but part from that, it works.
Vera O.
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
January 28, 2019

“Good value for your money”

OverallSmartfile is now our internal backup and allows us to access the files anywhere. It also helps sharing big files with clients that couldn't be sent by email.
ProsSmartfile is easy to use and has several interesting features. In the agency we use it as an internal backup but the possibility of creating password protected links to send files / folders to clients is excellent and allows us to dispense with other filesharing software / websites.
ConsIt's a bit hard to understand the Automation rules and manage the notifications each user receives.
Justin E.
IT Director
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
February 1, 2019

“Has potential but need some flushing out of features”

OverallWe eventually ended up abandoning the product due to other options in the file sharing space providing the needed features and storage requirements. At the time we stopped using the product many of the features were advertised but "coming soon" I do not know if this was the case but the cost of the solution overall with the limited capabilities was an issue that required us to look into other companies for our needs.
ProsThe interface for user management was easy to use and adding external clients was very simple.
ConsThere is a lack of features for the on-premise version. Some of the features that were advertised and sold to us as being available were not on the on-premise version and at the time of our use of this product there was no ETA in bringing those integrations in.
Victoria D.
manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees
April 4, 2019

“Think this as a document library”

OverallDoes what is says on the tin - support is a great for any issues
ProsThis was purchased to centralise all our driver documentation. It was easy to set up and it's great that we can archive expired documents. It's great to see who has done what through the activities feed and I was able to set up managers and let them create their own users.
ConsUploading files can be slow at times. At first I thought it was our internet but it's not. Big files take such a long time!!
April 4, 2019
Andre H.
Biz Developer
Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees
January 28, 2019

“Good for sending large files to China”

OverallWe are sharing large AI-files that are too big for e-mail sending with suppliers in China. Without this service we couldn't have shared these files in an easy way.
ProsOne of the few file sharing services that our Chinese suppliers can access in China.
ConsThe UI is a little bit difficult to understand sometimes. For example if you share a top folder you don't automatically share content in sub-folders.

By SmartFile on January 29, 2019
Andre- Thanks for your feedback regarding our sharing options. I will share this information with our engineers to determine an easier solution to share files.
Steven D.
Computer Software, Self-employed
January 25, 2019

“Good value. Works well with automated process.”

OverallAn automated process transfers large digital assets to and from the password-protected SmartFile space. The assets need to be unreachable by visitors to websites but easily within reach of authorized users. The SmartFile arrangement is working very well and this is now one less thing to worry about.
ProsGood value. Everything seems to work well. Very little interaction required with the company.
ConsNothing we don't like. Except that I am required to enter 40 characters into this field when I have answered the question using only 22.
Gennifer D.
Financial Coordinator
Education Management, 10,001+ employees

“Extremely helpful”

ProsIt's easy to use, and makes collaborating very simple.
ConsI don't have anything to say about this that I don't like.
Attly A.
Medical Devices, 201-500 employees

“Smart, Simple FTP”

OverallSmartFile has been an easy tool to use and does a great job at delivering as advertised.
ProsThe software is easy to setup and gets going. User management is a breeze.
ConsNo real issues with the software. It meets my expectations.
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees

“SmartFile”

OverallOverall the system works as expected and has proven to be very useful in our development efforts
ProsThe system is very intuitive and easy to use. Setting up new users was easy.
ConsNo Administrator account. If you create multiple users, you cannot see from user to user. There needs to be an administrative access level to allow viewing other users.
Warren M.
Apparel & Fashion, 1-10 employees
January 25, 2019

“Not enough features for the price”

OverallIf it wasn't for the connectivity with Chinese users, I would not use this software, especially at its current price level.
ProsIt's accessible by Chinese users where other file share systems are blocked
ConsThe rest of the features are equal to or less than I can get for free or $10/mn with other major file share solutions
Feng L.
CIO
Translation and Localization, 11-50 employees
February 5, 2019

“Genuine FTP Service that is Fairly Easy to Use”

ProsComplete FTP and SFTP features Relatively Secured Conveniently available
ConsNot so easy to use for general users Administrator should have more system-wide access rights
Animation, Self-employed
Used the software for: I used a free trial
July 29, 2019

“Good file management”

ProsI only used this program for its free trial, but I liked how the interface was built and the fact that you can have permissions and thus, can avoid having leaking information issues.
ConsAltough I liked the inteface, it can get hard for some people too get the hang out of the upload methods, and it gets just a little confusing
July 29, 2019
Adam R P.
Legal Services, 1-10 employees
February 1, 2019

“Straightforward tool, easy to use”

OverallIt's been very helpful and I don't know what I would do without it.
Pros I am a solo attorney and I need to send large files to opposing counsel and other persons on a fairly regular basis. File so large that email will not work. SmartFile filled that gap in my tools. It's straigtforward and relatively not weighed down by confusing options.
ConsI wish it was a more straigtforward workflow. For instance, starting with who I want to send the file to and then uploading the file (like an email workflow).
Chris R.
Systems Engineer
Retail, 51-200 employees
November 8, 2018

“SmartFile is only consistent in erros and slow speeds ”

OverallIt has been a terrible experience of having to upload files over and over to get one to complete without an error or disconnect. Once you have a few hundred files uploaded the portal slows down to taking 10-15 seconds each click to navigate.
ProsIt has a clean web dashboard and user interface.
ConsUploading files via FTP or larger than 500MB takes days to weeks to upload due to constant server errors and disconnects.
November 8, 2018
Mike W.
Dev Manager
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
January 25, 2019

“Great concept, confusing features”

OverallOnce a client is set up, it's easy for them to upload files securely for us.
ProsEasy to view files and navigate the web interface.
ConsConfusing to set up users/groups and grant permissions.
Nicholas G.
February 3, 2016

“Better and cheaper options than SmartFile are available.”

OverallPrepaid SmartFile for 1 year. Was a waste of money. Customer service is poor, tickets were often closed without the questions within being answered. SmartFile is inflexible with their plans, they are not granular as claimed as there are only 3 options and no ability to add or remove features individual features. Based upon my legal advice, the SmartFile terms and conditions contravene Australian law. Better and cheaper options than SmartFile are available.
February 3, 2016