Float Ratings

Overall

About Float

Since 2012, Float has been helping the world's top teams including BuzzFeed, NASA and Ogilvy manage their employee and resource schedules. Assign and manage tasks with ease, whilst having a clear, single view of your team's workload. Get live updates of your projects and track resource availability including sick leave, paid time off and public holidays. With drag-and-drop functionality, flexible search and filter features, Float makes scheduling your team simple. Start your 30 day free trial. Learn more about Float

Brad W.
Senior Graphic Designer
January 17, 2019

“Float review for Audio Visual Studio”

OverallWith using Float we have been able to have one central, accessible platform for the team to schedule tasks and projects and to assign them to the relevant individuals, sometimes weeks ahead of the deadlines. This has improved the teams overall planning of jobs and has allowed us to see what we can take on, what we need to reschedule and at times when we have to call in additional help to meet the deadlines. Float is quite easy to use and is improving all the time with new features. For us as an audio and design studio it has become an essential tool in our day to day operations that has benefited our overall productivity.
ProsAs a busy audio and visuals studio the biggest advantage we have seen with using Float is the scheduling feature. This allows us to schedule when projects and tasks need to take place, and who is working on and responsible for each project and task. As we have a number of people on our team and often numerous projects on the go at one time, Float has allowed us to better coordinate everything and has become vital in ensuring that projects and tasks are completed on time by each individual team member. As a team we can view the overall workload and time frames involved, while as an individual you can keep track of what tasks or projects you are working on and what projects you can or can not take on due to scheduling.
ConsSometimes the administrator /account owner has certain scheduling permissions and can add projects for individual team members int he scheduling feature. This is great but when these scheduled tasks or projects need to be changed or reshuffled it can only be done by the admin person / account owner and not the individual. There have been times when the admin person has not been available and I have needed to change the scheduled projects created by the admin person but have not been able to and have had to wait for the admin person to do it. This is the only downside so far that I have experienced using Float.
Jonathan K.
Training Manager
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 5001-10,000 employees
August 5, 2019

“So Glad I Found this Software!”

OverallOverall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!
ProsI like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.
ConsFor my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.
August 5, 2019
Davy H.
Content Manager
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
August 2, 2019

“Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups”

OverallOur company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.
ProsEasy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.
ConsWhen creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)
Tomasz F.
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
September 9, 2019

“Resource planning in big picture”

OverallFloat is great tool that helps us in three ways: 1. Planning resources in the near future - thanks to this we can easily know what specialist and when will have free time for some short maintenance or start new project. 2. Planning time off office days 3. Get statistics about how much time was spend in which project in wide perspective and quickly check who and when was working on what milestone off the project for client reports.
ProsHow easy it is. To book resource or edit time range you only need a few clicks or drag and drop.
ConsIt will be nice to get notifications about not booked time of some resource and small tool for moving all booked resources for a given project in time.
Christian D.
Scheduling & Material Manager
Telecommunications, 51-200 employees

“Float Review”

OverallWe used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it. WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.
ProsKudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task's time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there. Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task. Great job, keep it up!
ConsWould like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.
Joseph B.
Resource planning intern
Environmental Services, 501-1000 employees
September 9, 2019

“Intuitive and helpful software, let down by occasional performance issues ”

OverallAlthough I list here several cons, I think these are far outweighed by the practical benefits of using the product, and certainly don't dampen the experience too much. My experience so far with Float has been one of trying to make it reflect reality, and encourage adoption within our organisation. I think the real advantage of using it will be one project managers are widely aware of its benefits, and proactively use it to resource projects and keep abreast of changes in the availability of our team.
ProsFloat is an incredibly intuitive piece of software to use, with a simple calendar-like interface that everyone can understand. I have found that this aspect of the software is helpful in promoting its adoption within our teams. The experience is consistent across the product, which has allowed me to discover more and more features in and enrich the experience of using the product.
ConsThe performance of the software is occasionally a bit lacklustre. For example, I often find myself accidentally clicking somewhere on the screen which prompts a dialogue box to open to enter a new task. This problem is especially pronounced when using a trackpad, and isn't something that I experience elsewhere. Additionally, the interface seems to have a strange way of 'splitting' tasks that occur across multiple days. I have found that it often leaves blank gaps that give the illusion that a team member is working more hours per day than they actually are. There are a few features that I would like to see when going forward. Firstly, I think it would be good if there were different options when 'resizing' a task. Currently, the task can be resized independently across both axes (i.e. how many hours per day, and across how many days). I think it would be good if there were an option for these to affect each other - i.e. the total number of hours allocated to the project remains the same and could be allocated fewer hours across more days, or more hours across fewer days.
E-Learning, 11-50 employees
August 1, 2019

“Great Visual Tool for Resource Management”

OverallWe've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.
ProsWith Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.
ConsSometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.
Internet, 201-500 employees
February 11, 2019

“Program Manager using Float”

OverallWe are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue across the team per each project. Permissions are straightforward and allow us to control what we want. We can keep projects as tentative while awaiting for the contract and still allocate people to provide visibility into anticipated resourcing load. Overall Float has been great for us and I would recommend it to any organization providing services and focused around resourcing their team. Float has been constantly evolving and you can notice the difference and improvements rolled out weekly if not daily. Thank you for your work Float team!
Pros- Easy of use - Performance - Interface - Good visibility into my resources and their load
Cons- There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now - Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part - Adding holidays could be easier - When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project
February 11, 2019
Aidan D.
Chief Product Officer
January 26, 2019

“Beautifully simple and easy to use”

OverallFloat is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.
ProsFloat's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.
ConsThe only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.
January 26, 2019
Heather M.
Senior Creative Project Planner
Design, 51-200 employees
January 22, 2019

“Multi disciplinary studio management ”

OverallCurrently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.
ProsThe simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.
ConsThe search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved. Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window. Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.
January 22, 2019
Sara D.
Partner + Brand Strategy
Design, 1-10 employees
January 17, 2019

“Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers”

OverallWe needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.
ProsI like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.
ConsAnything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.
March 18, 2019

“Flexible, collaborative scheduling”

OverallIt's been a learning experience for us as a team, and myself as an individual. We now push all work in as soon as we even believe it will happen and mark it as tentative. We can add milestones and deliverables so everyone collaborating on the schedule can see how much work there is and how likely it is they'll be able to add more in. A great tool that's got us away from the horror of scheduling in excel.
ProsCan easily see the whole stream of work. We were using excel, not ideal, especially when it came to needing to change it and others had it open. We'd done this for years, not great. This tool means we can react faster to the needs of our busy studio. Adding milestones has been invaluable because we can easily see where pinch points will happen. Handling employee leave and work hours is now super seamless as float deals with it for you using the 'time off' feature.
ConsIt can be fiddly to arrange work in the correct order if you're doing less than half a day block at a time. Fortunately, this doesn't typically affect us, as we deal almost exclusively with long term, large projects.
March 18, 2019
Rick d.
Developer
Internet, 11-50 employees
August 2, 2019

“Great tool for day to day business!”

ProsFloat is very easy to use and makes you activities for the day very insight-full. As project manager it is possible to see all the activities for the team in a blink of an eye. The sorting functions are great; by project, by team and more. Also adding repetitive tasks and scheduled items is very easy. This tool improved our daily workflow greatly!
ConsFor now we really don't have any dislikes at all. All our requirements for good planning/team management software are met in Float.
Marco F.
Administration, Finance and Control Plant Manager
Pharmaceuticals, 1001-5000 employees
July 29, 2019

“Unbeatable task and team manager”

ProsEasy, Easy, Easy! Uncluttered and extremely intuitive user interface. Basically no learning curve, even for unexperienced users. Despite its clean and tidy interface, Float is still ideal for enterprise use. It sports a very powerful team manager platform, perfect to assign and follow tasks, instantly spreading any update with team members. Automatic reports allow to keep under control time consumption.
ConsFloat run in cloud, there's no possibility to implement a self hosted solution.
July 29, 2019
Allysa J.
February 13, 2019

“Float is great”

ProsIt's really really REALLY easy to use with a very intuitive interface. Float is continuously tweaking features for the better to further improve upon the UI/UX. My project management team did a lot of research on resource management tools and Float was the only one that allowed for such a granular view (i.e., instead of planning sprints in 2 weeks, it's day by day). We needed that for our business as we are run day-to-day with sometimes very small tasks (0.5-1hr) and Float was the only one allowing us to get that granular. Further, whenever we've had an issue the Support team is very quick and responsive to helping us!
ConsThe Reporting tools aren't as great and well-organized as our Finance/Billing team would like. But the front-end is superior to the other tools my team considered so we are still using on that front.
February 13, 2019
Paul B.
Head of Engineering
January 17, 2019

“Float for time management”

OverallProblematic - not 100% sure this is floats problem, as it seems designed for the restaurant/service industry, and we are more a agency/service business.
ProsI like the fact you can filter and search by people and/or project
ConsI don't like that you cannot see 3months in advance on 1 screen. It's still laggy when scrolling, we have 70 people timesheeted and we have project managers filling this in, they find it cumbersome. The repeating tasks are not well formed, as in if you set a repeating weekly task then want to edit one week to be say 3 days, it won't let you do it. We have other awkward things around adding contractors or people leaving jobs, it would be nice if Float had more sample data as I think sometimes we uncover usecases they haven't tested for - atleast tested the UX for. I'd love it to improve, as the last speed improvement they did was a step in the right direction, but more customisation is needed.
Rachel S.

“Great software”

OverallFloat allows the entire studio to understand what they're booked on and gives the managers a greater understanding of when tasks are completed.
ProsFloat is a really helpful piece of software, especially for running studio resourcing. The flexibility of being able to move jobs between different resources is great. Definitely one of the easiest resourcing tools i've used.
ConsAfter doing a a few resource moves the system gets a bit buggy and you have to refresh or sometimes log out and log back in again to see the changes you've made.
Ben C.
Deployment Manager
Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

“Flexible and responsive”

OverallFloat has given me the ability to schedule resources from a regional perspective and utilise cross project multi skilled resources. I can easily search a resource skill and view their availability !
ProsBeing able to make changes and have those changes reflect live on my teams phones is a HUGE benefit!
Consresponsiveness of the website. Would be great to have local instance for a faster response when making changes
Gordon W H.
Digital Project Manager
Design, 11-50 employees
January 17, 2019

“A great solution for a small team with room to grow”

OverallNot having to rely on tools that weren't built for this purpose to achieve the desired output is fantastic. Excel is for numbers and spreadsheets, not managing project.
ProsI love that this is an affordable, web-based, easy to configure and use tool that is extremely flexible. There's a lot of power in only asking for as much information as is needed in order to be useful. It's a great visual way to manage projects and people and to get a sense of how people's workload is at any given moment. As an end user, it's great to be able to see how my week is looking at the start so that anything that comes up can be managed and it's a burden to try and juggle it all.
ConsFloat very much purpose-built to schedule work, but there are a number of features that are present in more project-focused solutions which are lacking-- namely time tracking and dependencies. However, adding some of these features might sacrifice that which makes Float great at what it does, simplicity.
alice t.
Project manager
January 17, 2019

“Float Review - Digital Agency ”

ProsI love how simple the interface is. Everything is clear and on one page, useful reports, labels and additional features such as tentitive work or team views make resourcing much easier. I really like using this tool, I use it everyday at my work. It is easy to manage the pipeline and resolve clashes easily.
ConsI love how simple the interface is. Everything is clear and on one page, useful reports, labels and additional features such as tentitive work or team views make resourcing much easier. I really like using this tool, I use it everyday at my work. It is easy to manage the pipeline and resolve clashes easily. It works well for a lower amount of people. As the buisness grows it is more effort to maintain. However for companies with less than 100 people this is a great solution. One negative is they removed the alt click drag to copy fundtion which I really found useful. Genreally it is a great tool!
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
August 12, 2019

“Review after 3 years as an Software Company to follow our client's project”

OverallWe choose Float because it doesn't do a lot of things but what it does it do it well
ProsEasy to use Collaborative Efficient for each project manager
ConsDifficulties to follow each budget for every project we deploy Smartphone apply very limited
August 12, 2019
Chris N.
Integrated Producer
August 1, 2019

“Great Concept with Some Server issues”

OverallFloat helps us accurately manage our project life cycles and also individual workloads to ascertain useful information about performance rates and also account health.
ProsFloat is visually very easy to read and allows users to be succinct but detailed at the same time.
ConsFloat tends to not register all our changes and tends to not be completely "LIVE" as it requires multiple refreshes at times to attain the most updated information. This is mainly happens when there are multiple project managers. The export report is not as detailed as I would like it to be. It would be more beneficial to have monthly exports with breakdowns per job, per person and per week. I need to use the raw data more often than referring to the online report so it would be good to see some improvements on this.
Matthias B.
Co-founder & CEO
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
January 17, 2019

“First impressions after a couple of weeks”

OverallFloat works as expected but has a couple of UI glitches. It's a bit hard to get real overview as soon as you have more than ~5 people or want to get a long-term view. The tool has a lot of potential and definitely works better than an Excel sheet ;-)
ProsIt allows for very transparent capacity planning within the company. Every employee can see their own and co-workers schedule in advance and make changes to it. Also it forces project managers to do capacity planning since this is our "single source of truth" for planned work. We also like the focus of Float to solve only one business problem.
ConsThere are a couple of things that we discovered in the past weeks: - Milestone tooltips are buggy - they sometimes don't disappear - Horizontal scrolling with a classic mouse does not work as expected (SHIFT + scroll) - It would be nice to have an iCal address for team members to see all "time off" entries in Google Calendar or other calendar apps - Working with recurring tasks is a real pain (Rescheduling within weeks, splitting etc.). We chose to not use this feature alltogether. - It would be nice to have a sync with GitLab to be able to select GitLab issues instead of defining "tasks" in Float all over again. - It would be nice to automatically sync "time off" and G Suite's "Out of office" functionality - Due to the horizontal view it's quite difficult to get a long-term view of capacity. It's only great for short-term (~1 month) planning.
Bryan T.
A/V Field Technician

“Quick and Easy!”

OverallIt's still quick and easy even with its very few flaws. my coworkers and I are all scattered around the country so its nice to be able to quickly look at an upcoming job then find out who is on it with me without having to call them all and find out who I'm working with!
ProsI've only been using it for about 6 months but I love how clean and to the point it is. I find my name and find out what my duties are for that day. I travel a lot so its really nice to be able to look at a week and see where in the country I may be. It allows me to start planning my travel and some sightseeing with plenty of time to spare so that once the time comes, I just get on a plane and go to work!
ConsThere's no Android app. That's a big turn off but I manage. I'd really appreciate this functionality in the future. I'm not sure if its just me but when I log in on my computer, each area takes up the whole screen. its quite strange. I have to scroll to the next person even though they should be smaller boxes. on my phone they are almost too squished to read and I haven't found a way manually size the boxes.
Hannelie v.
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
August 19, 2019

“Key resource management tool”

OverallVery easy to use, great dashboards and continuous enhancements to the product.
ProsEasy to navigate and setup. Integration with Outlook. Out of office functionality. Administration module to access invoices etc. Team setups
ConsMore fluent way of connecting to JIRA. Financial management and time tracking would be great.
August 19, 2019
viviam a.
COO
Research, 1-10 employees

“Good project dashboard”

ProsTo see all my team tasks To see all my projects at the same time
ConsCan not edit project from "project" tab. Can not have a timeSheet for my team. Can not have a gantt to projects.
Christine P.
Digital Producer
Marketing and Advertising, 1001-5000 employees
January 23, 2019

“Does what it is meant to do really well”

OverallIt's been great. It's solved our issue of resourcing, and once your team is on board with using it however you decide, it is a really helpful and powerful (yet simple) tool to make sure communication and expectations of teams for the day is clear.
ProsFloat is made for resourcing at a high-level view. They do this well and in a visually appealing manner. Float is constantly improving as well with adding more helpful features. They are not trying to be a project management tool or something else, which I truly appreciate as I don't want too many bells and whistles on top of their core product.
ConsI'd like the ability to clean and audit it a bit more, as we use it for a very large network, but that may be more on my company than Float to manage.
Nick C.
November 26, 2017

“Float is a great solution for small businesses looking to get their schedules organised ”

OverallEasy visual scheduling for the team
ProsWe love the easy drag and drop interface, the ease of use of the whole system, the API allowing us to create/sync projects and tasks from our project management system, and the ability for our team to sync their Float schedule to their iOS or Exchange calendars via the iCal feed.
ConsWe think there are some minor things that would make the software even easier to use missing from it: - ability to drag and drop to copy a schedule from one person/resource to another (not just reallocate) - ability to see Notes on a project by hovering over the quick note icon on the schedule - ability to see confirmed appointments vs tentative (clients are using colours to do this at the moment)
November 26, 2017
Veary W.
Delivery Manager
August 1, 2019

“Change the way you work!”

OverallTime spent managing an excel spreadsheet, trying to integrate or find out staff holidays and /or training, managing pipeline work and assigning staff - all this is now achieved in minutes rather than hours!
ProsFloat saves you time: when you manage a number of resources across multiple clients and projects and lets not forget planned training and AL - most organisations don't have one system where employees, managers and project managers can view staff availability. The administration for Float is low and does not require you to update!
Consupdating a resource and having to select the Today button again - sometimes is confusing
Jodine B.
Creative Director
Design, 51-200 employees

“Floatastic”

OverallIt's been invaluable for design resource planning and tracking for both designers seeing their plan for the week and account managers ensuring we have enough hands on deck.
ProsWe've been using Float for daily and forward resource planning for about 2-3 years. It was good to start with, but has continually been updated and improved, the latest version has great new features that we've always wished we had. There are tons of great features: colour coding of projects, annual leave and public holiday entry, scaling of time blocks.
ConsMost of the niggles have been fixed in this latest update. But having to enter hex numbers for colour selection. It's account managers using this product not designers.
Laura P.
Production Coordinator
Media Production, 1-10 employees
September 5, 2019

“Great value. Lots of potential”

OverallI've been using CETA scheduling software for the last 4 years in big VFX companies and I must say that Float is not there yet but is actually getting broadly comparable. In the last 4 months that I introduced it into my new team it's proved to be quite useful to keep track of the progression of our projects. During these months I've seen that it has already improved in many areas that I'm excited to see what comes next. I can see it can become a really powerful software.
ProsThere aren't may softwares that let you schedule a team in such an easy and organised way. I think most softwares nowadays are too complex and make you spend more time organising tasks than actually working on them. Float is so clear and simple you can actually use it to manage big projects without spending too much time on it.
ConsIt's getting better, but it would be very useful if we could: - Right click on a pencil and be able to copy it over into a different person. - Book more than one person on the same project (for example if two workers are on the same project because one of them is doing a training but you don't want to charge twice for that time). - Lately when I try to schedule more than 1 project in one day on the same person I get a message saying I can't schedule anyone for more than 24 hours) even if I'm not exceeding the 8 normal working hours. It'd be great if that could be fixed. - It'd be good if milestones were more visible. - I think reports should be a bit less complicated and more visual. - It'd be really helpful if you could group projects up in folders when you go to the Projects tab as at the moment we have like... 45 different projects going on and although we color code them it's difficult to organise all of them. -I'd like to have more than only three types of view when looking at our schedules a part from 'Days, 'Weeks' and 'Months'. It'd be great if you could 'Archive' users as well as projects. So when a worker it's not working at the company anymore and you don't want to pay for it on Float you can kind of 'Archive' him (so you are not able to book him on anything but still you can see him on the boards so you don't loose what it's been scheduled on him.)
Edward W.
Lead Developer
Media Production, 11-50 employees

“Great scheduling tool”

OverallI've used Float for a number of years now, it's my go-to tool for scheduling resource as it's very quick to setup, and only takes a few minutes each day to update and maintain. The pricing model is also great, as it's per resource, so you can have as many (free) account as you like with access to see the schedules still.
ProsFloat is great for scheduling development resource, the biggest advantage it offers is the ability to quickly and easily make amends and changes, and seeing what impact that has on other projects.
Consthe UX can be a bit fiddly when it comes to setting up repeating events, such as weekly maintenance windows. It does however become easier once you master the keyboard shortcuts.
Morgan C.
CIO
January 17, 2019

“Float, the scheduling tool that powers our team”

OverallFloat has enabled us to grow our team without much additional effort to track and report on the team allocations. It is essential for our traffic and scheduling.
ProsWe depend on float to track allocation of work across our team. This varies from tasks which take a few hours, to tasks which take multiple weeks or months. Float handles all this, enabling us to see which of our team need work, and how we can juggle or reschedule work when things change.
ConsWe do have duplication between team members' Google calendars and float, and have tried to resolve this by automating a synchronisation - but the calendars will always have more detail than Float so we are living with this duality.
Faye B.
Traffic Manager
Fund-Raising, 11-50 employees
January 17, 2019

“Into the future you go with Float”

OverallIt has transformed our creative deparment going from excel sheets sent around via email at the end of the week to everyone having an account and checking their workload for the day. It has also meant I can work closer with the finance department to forecast and see hours burnt.
ProsFloat completely transformed our creative department as it allowed me to be much more reactive with organising the workflow of the floor. Float gave me back so many hours to manage projects. It's very easy to use and a great way to see what projects are booked in with who. We have multiple projects and the colour coding tool for clients is a dream!
ConsThe only con I have found with Float is aligning the same projects tasks in one line. For instance Person A could have Project X with 1st development ending on tuesday and 1st comments on wednesday starting 2nd development, if they have another project, say project Y that could be in the same row as 1st development and 2nd development could be a line below making it a bit hard to follow.
Sam M.
Consulting Coordinator
Management Consulting, 11-50 employees
September 12, 2017

“Float is my go-to tool for time management ”

OverallI manage a team of 8 consultants. Float allows me to see where everyone is going to be on just one screen, instead of having to check 8 different calendars. Ease of my job is absolutely the biggest benefit.
ProsWeekly emails, ease of adding in new projects or tasks to existing projects, the color options (it's like working in a rainbow!), and the reporting/statistics feature. It's nice being able to see current utilization vs. projected. It's very basic, but very straightforward. I also love how it's cloud based, so I can access it anywhere I need to.
ConsMy only complaint is that if you make adjustments to the weekly schedule too close to when the weekly emails go out, the changes might not always get picked up in the notification. I've worked with the developer team to try and figure this one out without any luck. It's so minor, though.
September 12, 2017
Finn B.
Developer
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
August 2, 2019

“Wonderful piece of software”

ProsFloat has given me more overview in my day-to-day planning at work. It's a wonderful tool that does what you'd expect. Besides the wonderful functionality and ease-of-use, it looks very good, too.
ConsI'm personally missing a few key features: - I'd like to see Google Calendar integration, it'd be nice to see my day in my calendar on the go. - Notifications would be handy, I've had it happen my planning has been changed without me knowing. - A dark theme is always a good thing, would love to see that added.

By Pixel Paddock on August 9, 2019
Hi Finn, Thanks so much for the feedback! We do have a Google Calendar integration. You can select this from the global navigation menu > My profile settings > Integrations. Support article: http://support.float.com/en/articles/2795210-google-calendar-integration We're working on notifications at the moment, stay tuned! Thanks again for the feedback and choosing Float! Siobhan
Seb P.
Digital Content and Project Manager
January 17, 2019

“Great tool for scheduling across a busy creative team”

OverallWe have been trialling Float in order to replace a pen-and-whiteboard system in our office - it replicates the experience of that board almost exactly, with the added bonus that our team and other teams within the agency can view the schedule from anywhere, rather than needing to be at the office location. So far, with the exception of the minor suggested tweaks above, it has done everything we've needed it to.
ProsThe quick and intuitive means by which projects and jobs can be added, updated and moved around in schedules. It's a really handy way to both view and quickly update the full picture of workloads, schedules, availability and project progress.
ConsWhile excellent for immediate-term planning, I would like to see a little more in the way of options for longer-term, or non-date-specific, planning - perhaps the ability to add a "pending" column that sits persistently alongside the day and date columns, to act as a reminder of jobs that will come onto schedule soon but aren't ready to be assigned to a particular day/week! It would also be useful to be able to less evenly proportion time across days - e.g. spread a job over two days but assign more hours to one than the other, rather than the equal split as present. These are feature requests rather than issues, though - on the whole the experience is excellent and does exactly as you'd hope/expect.
Jamie B.
Head of Design

“Float 2017-2019”

OverallOur team would be unorganised chaos without it!
ProsI've been using Float to organise the structure of our Design Team for over two years now, we trialled a few different alternatives but ultimately Float was the top pick for our team. The simplistic booking system means ease of use for our Designers, we can view our work, the time, the project type, and add in notes with project manager names so we know who to contact. Being able to share an un-editable version of this schedule with the wider team is perfect for visibility on available time.
ConsThe lack of an Android version of the Float app.
Amanda F.
Digital Producer
September 5, 2019

“One of the better project management tools out there”

ProsI like that you can split bookings and set different hours on different dates, rather than blanket booking a full resource.
ConsI dislike that you must click more than 2 times to add a new project. It's an extra step that I find a bit more cumbersome than other project tools.
Kem P.
Manager, Graphic design
Non-Profit Organization Management, 51-200 employees

“Quick and easy”

OverallI find Float very quick and easy to use. On the rare occasions I have shared feedback with the Float team responses have been swift and considered. There have been significant improvements during the time I've been using Float which has streamlined features and usability.
ProsI think one of the most attractive features is it's ease for inputting data and activities. It's quick and easy, and this makes it easy to teach and implement within a team. The last thing you want is a tedious process that is time consuming and slows down productivity.
ConsOverall I think it is very simple and easy to use. Some of the recent updates and features that have been added over the last couple years have overcome some of the issues that I probably noticed when I started using it.
Marc S.
Creative Driector
Marketing and Advertising, 201-500 employees
August 6, 2019

“Overall a good tool”

OverallIt's one of the best tools on the market.
ProsFloat is a relatively easy to use tool regarding its amount of features. The UI is quite intuitive and the Float guys are updating and implementing features regularly.
ConsSince we implemented our whole company in Float the system got slower. It was much faster when we had only 30-40 employees to handle. Now with nearly 500 it often reacts slowly and that feels like a bug. There are a lot of features still missing and I wish there were more possibilities to customise.

By Pixel Paddock on August 30, 2019
Hi Marc, Thanks so much for the review! We're always keen to hear from our customers about improvements and new features to add to Float. Please feel welcome to email support@float.com with your specific feedback. Cheers, Siobhan
August 6, 2019
David B.
Executive General Manager
Mining & Metals, 201-500 employees

“Excellent tool”

OverallWe are using float every day to manage our 12 week resource schedule and balance the workforce.
ProsIt is simple and easy to use . The User Interface is clean an uncluttered and you can quickly see who has capacity to take on more work.
ConsWe would like the ability to lock down the settings and colours, so we can enforce upcoming jobs of different type or status are shown in the same colour. It would also be good to have regional settings for things like public holidays so these aren't applied globally. Holidays differ across countries (e.g. thanksgiving doesn't apply in Canada and Australia.
Joanna N.
Frontend Developer
Online Media, 11-50 employees
August 2, 2019

“Very useful but it takes some time to learn how to use it”

ProsMy favourite feature of this software is the fact that everyone can customise how the app looks like. I can sort data exactly how I want and make it more useful for myself.
ConsAt the beginning splitting and moving tasks can be a quite hideous job. Especially in the environment where we have many changes during the week, it can be difficult to keep track on everything.
Joel P.
Facade Consultant
Construction, 201-500 employees

“Float Review”

OverallDetermining the workload spread across a range of employees
ProsEase of use and easy to understand format and layout across large amounts of time
ConsAdding hours and hours per day - the difference can be confusing
Staffing and Recruiting, 51-200 employees
January 20, 2019

“Lifesaver! Great tool for scheduling across multiple teams and offices”

ProsI've been using float for almost a year now. It has made SUCH a difference in allowing our teams to be able to track where and when individuals are working from home/out of office/on holiday on a simple and unified platform. The tool is also incredibly user-friendly and makes it easy for anyone to be able to use it on a day to day basis.
ConsNothing major comes to mind about the tool that I dislike particularly. With that said, some potential improvements could include: - Allowing you to drag and drop to copy a schedule from one person to another, instead of just relocating it - A way to see notes on a project by just hovering over the icon rather than clicking on it
January 20, 2019
Kimberly W.
pocss
Medical Devices, 5001-10,000 employees
January 18, 2019

“Float”

OverallI love the mobile app for Float which enables me to always know when something has been added to my schedule. As a contractor I am unable to receive emails on my personal phone so having the Float app allows me to stay in touch just in case something gets added to my schedule at the last minute.
ProsI am an end user of Float. It allows me to see my schedule and my co-workers. I am able to keep up with locations of both myself and my co-workers at all times
ConsMy project manager makes all the changes in Float. However, she is amazing; therefore there is no need for me to do anything inside the software. So, I have not had a whole lot of experience working inside the software. I only know the end use which is extremely helpful.
January 18, 2019
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees
January 16, 2019

“Does exactly what I need it to do”

OverallIm able to easily schedule many people and if I need to reassign a task to someone else, thats very easy to do.
ProsI like how I can go from day to day, week to week Month to Month etc very easily. I like that I can make the calendar. I like that it keeps the name of the Tasks in the history, very useful when assigning multiple people to the same task. and the fact its a shared calendar that updates in real time for the most part.
ConsI don't like the how an assignment can easily be deleted (when I didn't mean to) I wish there was was something that popped up that asked "was I sure" Also, it doesn't appear the people who are read only cannot see the comments that are initially put in under a task.
Chloe D.
Student Content Specialist
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 employees

“Works well”

ProsIt is intuitive and easy to use. It has allowed for better communication with my manager and colleagues in order to keep the many parts moving in a complex, long-term project.
ConsI don't have any complaints about the features I use. I would like to start using more of the features in the future.
Mike M.
Managing Consultant
Computer & Network Security, 11-50 employees
September 4, 2019

“Great for on the fly scheduling”

OverallIt's been very good for our consultants
ProsEasy edits, flexible moving things around and visibility
ConsDoesn't integrate with time sheets, could maybe use a bit more functionality
September 4, 2019
Andre V.
Principal Consultant
Mining & Metals, 51-200 employees
August 2, 2019

“A user's honest review of Float... one year later”

OverallTeam management. The main benefit for me is to, at one glance, be able to see team availability for task scheduling. It makes my job easier to hand out tasks and see who is low on workload.
ProsEase of use and functionality. The fact that this software is specifically designed to fulfil a task.
ConsOverall very good. Nothing is bad and nothing that I really do not like. I am not familiar with the price structure and never required follow up service, so I cannot comment on those two items.