Confluence Ratings

Overall

About Confluence

Confluence is an open and shared workspace that connects people to the ideas and information they need to build momentum and do their best work. Unlike document and file-sharing tools, Confluence is open and collaborative, helping you create, manage, and collaborate on anything from product launch plans to marketing campaigns. Find work easily with dedicated and organized spaces, connect across teams, and integrate seamlessly with the Atlassian suite or customize with apps from our Marketplace. Learn more about Confluence

Panagiotis K.
Founder & Managing Director
Media Production, 1-10 employees
September 16, 2019

“Great documentation platform for both intranets and customer-facing hubs”

OverallThe experience I had the last 9-10 years that me and my colleagues worked with Confluence is excellent. The document editor works smoothly even from the mobile app that is offered. There are many article templates to choose from when you start creating an article, from decision making documents to marketing strategy forms and solution focused how-to pages. Confluence supports a lot of media types in the pages, so it's easy to create helpful articles with video, audio, images and many more like attention panels, embedded spreadsheets, etc. You can even embed the contents of one section of a page to another page, so that if you change that it reflects the change in all the pages that the section was included. Which is great for customer support and of course technical documentation. Did I mention that you can create as many different wikis as you like? Confluence calls those "spaces" and it's a great way to keep things separated. I use different wiki spaces for my employees handbook, customer support, app manuals, design documents per project, etc. The possibilities are endless and having them separately helps with security between different roles in the company and outside of it.
ProsConfluence, especially the new cloud version, is one of the best tools to use for documenting your knowledge-base. The best parts for me are: - The ability to connect my articles with to-do tasks from project management (Jira from Atlassian, same company, so they work like a charm together). - The articles I can contain any media types, from spreadsheets that I can edit in-line to videos. There are also a lot of native panels to help anybody create very stylish articles with usability. - In-line and footer comment sections help my team discuss and develop documents all together, without losing any of the discussion history. - The ability to also keep an internal blog. I use that to inform my colleagues for the day-to-day developments, and keep everybody on track with high ideas and management efforts. - All of the above can be also used as a customer-facing knowledge-base, to serve your customers with documents, operation manuals and help articles. Very handy if you use it together with the service desk solution from the same company, but can also be used stand-alone too. In general it's one of the best choices that I made when I was searching for a documentation solution for my company and my clients, back in 2010. Almost a decade passed and Confluence is still growing better and better by the time. Atlassian the company behind Confluence is now huge and offers many solutions that integrate with Confluence, making it an even better choice if you use other tools from them.
ConsI can't find any cons to Confluence. After all there is no perfect solution, only elegant ones depending on the problem one tries to solve. Atlassian is offering a trial period so anybody can see if Confluence is good for their company's documentation needs. From my experience, it would be bad to start a trial before you hove some really motivated people in your team and some content to put in there. Because it would be better to test Confluence with something that you would use in your company, so that you see first hand the pros and cons while your team works with Confluence with material that is close to the true material that you would put in there. If I was to change one thing it would be the way it recognizes internally any of the pages I create, so that Confluence doesn't have any issues with pages with same titles. That would be a nice time saver and space saver in the outline of any wiki one creates.
September 16, 2019
Ajesh G.
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
September 12, 2019

“Finest Documentation platform”

OverallConfluence gave better documentation compared tot he old text files so that more readable format. The integration of images and diagrams make the documentation more user friendly.
ProsConfluence gives best documentation platform for your projects. We can categorize based on different projects and sub projects. we can create links to another pages which is very useful to route to another document without searching for it. we can see all the documents related one project in one section. It gives you wide range of features to include images and diagrams to make the documentation more useful. We can also subscribe to the pages so that anyone make any changes we get notified.
ConsConfluence needs more integration with the CICD tools available in the market to make more automated documentation. confluence needs to provide to create diagrams for documentation so that users dont need to go for external software for that.
September 12, 2019
Arturo M.
Developer
Information Technology and Services, 5001-10,000 employees
September 4, 2019

“Best documentation tool I ever used”

OverallI use this almos daily and I think it is a great tool for team performance. It allows to create and view all the info in no time and pretty well structured.
ProsThe main advantage about Confluence is that is part of the Atlassian Suite which involves Jira and Bitbucket among others. This makes pretty easy to integrate them and add quick references to a jira issue with just write the reference number. The text editor in Confluence is pretty complete, allowing to create really decent pages for any kind of documentation desired. The possibility of create nested pages makes really easy to organize the information in "chapters" "sub-chapters" and so on, giving your documentation a really neat look. This feature also allows to segregate the information, so you can have your product's documentation on one place, perfectly organized and set another "Chapter" for your team info, where you could store info about code conventions, timetables about overtime or availability, and so on. Confluence is also useful in order to create software designs, since it allows to create pages where you can paste your diagrams and so on and allows to discuss on them by adding comments or remarks. And the Watch utility keep you posted via e-mail whenever a page you're watching is modified in any way so you can keep track of a discussion or whatever.
ConsSo far didn't find any big issue with confluence. Maybe for beginners it has a bit of learning curve and some option like the page nesting and so on is a bit difficult to learn. Besides that, I think is a pretty complete software. Something I miss is the possibility of "downloading" a page with all nested ones into a pdf. That would be a great feature in order to generate documentation files.
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
August 13, 2019

“Perfect for a knowledge repository”

OverallThis is a software that serves well it purpose, really easy and quick to use and does the job very well. And the posibility of interaction with Jira and Bitbucket is a real advantage.
ProsBeing an Atlassian product it is fully compatible with the rest of the suite, and being used together with Jira and Bitbucket is a real hit. It allows to link a Jira task/bug/story/whatever by just writing the element reference number; it will automatically create a link to the real stuff on Jira. This makes easy to keep work briefs about epics and stories, so you can easily talk about when or where you fixed something, and just link the task in which you logged the work. Besides that is really flexible allowing to have multiple sub-level pages to properly organize the information in a much more structured way than a Wiki. This allows to keep software documentation, teams structure and oranization, meetings briefs, and so on in the same application but in a well structured and easy to use way. Regarding the usability, the text editor is quite complete, and allows to create very neat pages really fast. It supports images, tables, formatted text... everything you would need in a documentation app, is there.
ConsFor this software I have not found any serious cons... maybe something I would like to be changed is the placement of the save button. On that location I use to miss it and sometimes I just closed the page without saving because I forgot the button was there; but that is just my problem remembering things.

“Powerful wiki software”

OverallConfluence has become the place for us to collect information, across our business. We use it document our processes and policies (the access controls prove useful there), and our development teams use it on a daily basis to record the outcomes of discussions and to share knowledge.
ProsConfluence does a good job as a tool for writing, organising and viewing all kinds of documentation. It's fairly wiki-esque, but with a more intuitive editor for pages that should make it easier to pick up for new users that might be more familiar with, say, Microsoft Word. As an Atlassian product, you can expect a full set of tools for managing access to different pages and areas across your organisation, making it more appropriate for enterprises than more basic wiki software that doesn't always provide the same level of control. Another advantage is the high level of integration. 'Macros' allow users to include a variety of rich content, and are customisable. Examples of integrations include JIRA, Trello, Microsoft Office, G Suite, and more. The 'Atlassian Marketplace' can be used to find and install more macros.
ConsAlthough the editor is easier to use than the markdown used by a lot of other wiki software, it can occasionally be frustrating to work with. Not all macros and formatting settings behave exactly the same, so while you'd be able to fix these issues directly in markdown, you can end up trying out a bunch of different tools before you find the one you need to achieve your goal. As with all collections of articles, organising pages can become difficult. The software itself provides basic tools that allow you to define a structure for your pages, and these work well, but it still requires considerable discipline as your use of the software scales up.
David M.
Senior Engineer
Research, 11-50 employees
August 7, 2019

“Wiki Engine on Steroids”

OverallWe are using Confluence as our internal documentation storage system. It allows us to easily create documentation and share it among our various teams while controlling access to the teams. It is better than a document storage system for this purpose, as it allows us to create the documents on the fly, cutting a step out of the process and making documents easier to manage. We host it on site, so it is more secure than a solution like Google Docs as it's not on the web.
ProsWe use Confluence on a daily basis to document various aspects of our organization. There is a large variety of built-in templates for a variety of sorts of documents. We heavily utilize the how-to articles to record procedures. Although it does link with other Altassian products, like Jira, we don't use that functionality currently as we run Confluence on-site and Jira in the cloud. The upgrade to version 6 greatly increased the usefulness of the product, as it brought in concurrent editing, ala Google Docs, which was functionality we needed when developing procedures for an event as a group. The search and indexing capabilities make it easy to find a document if its location is not obvious.
ConsSearch and indexing can lose usefulness in the event you have many similar documents, like say a checklist that is executed often. I would like a function to be able to click a check box to "ignore results like this." The initial setup of Confluence was not completely straightforward, however, we were installing on an older version, version 5. (The upgrade to version 6 went much smoother.) I would prefer an omnibus install package if it doesn't currently have that rather than having to install PostgreSQL and the application. The LDAP integration could have been a little bit smoother than it was, although it is in line with the other Atlassian products I have integrated.
August 7, 2019
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
January 14, 2019

“An excellent documentation service that has saved me on many occasions”

OverallMy coworker and I use confluence extensively to document all of the work that we perform. As IT staff many issues that we come across will be repeated ad-infinitum. As such to simply be able to look up the fix from any location with internet access increases efficiency many times over. The notification ability helps all users to see what has been changed, when, and by whom providing an excellent level of accountability.
ProsIt is extremely easy to create a large number of documents, it is possible to reference other documents within them to facilitate ease of research, and documents can all be put into sub-folders to contain them within separate trees to aid with organisation. The mobile app is extremely useful for reading documentation whilst on the go - an example would be that we keep Video Conference details on one page that I have favorited, as such when I set up a VC from any location I am able to rapidly find the correct details to dial. The search functionality allows for extremely quick location of relevant documents. On many occasions I have not been able to find what I need looking through the lists, only to immediately find it on the first search. Indeed I no longer look through the list as the search is so efficient. When changes are made to documents it is possible to set it up to notify other members of the team so that they are able to see what has been done.
ConsThe only minor issue I have discovered with confluence is that when creating new documents setting the location is not as smooth as I would like. Specifically I need to begin creating the document, then select "Move" and finally put it into the desired place. This does not really cause issues as it is still a quick process, however a one click setup would be appreciated.
January 14, 2019
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
January 2, 2019

“Helpful Tool”

OverallOverall I would recommend using Confluence, but would caution people on how they rollout the new platform to their company. Ensuring that the expectations are communicated clearly for how the platform will be used, by whom and the frequency, are very helpful things to communicate when preparing your team to switch.
ProsThe interactive features of Confluence serves as the best feature and function of this platform! Our organization is relatively small (20-30 employees) and is a Foundation that interacts with other nonprofits in the area. As a result we had many touch points in the community through various teams and often time what we were doing would get lost. In an effort to improve our internal communication our organization adopted Confluence as a means of servicing our company. We used the blog feature heavily which proved to be the best method of communication internally and cut down on the amount of emails adding to the clutter in our inboxes. It also allowed discussions to happen seamlessly and served as a point of reference for folks to easily access when needed.
ConsIt wasn't always very user friendly. Our organization consists of a variety of ages, so the way that people have engaged with technology is also varied. There are times that adding spaces or pages have proved to be a challenge for those who don't consider themselves as "technologically savvy". There was a bit of a learning curve for me in learning to how to use the software, but the customer support team was helpful in walking me through difficulties. The mobile function also wasn't the best depending on how users have different spaces setup.
January 2, 2019
Janosch F.
Human Resources Consultant
Internet, 51-200 employees
November 25, 2018

“Versatile, powerfull, easy to use”

OverallAs with other Atlassien products Confluence is just a charm to use. It is a great Wiki and it continues to be the gift that keeps on giving the more atlassian products you combine with it. I would absolutely chose Confluence again in the past and in the future. If you manage it smart (by setting up well conceptualized wiki spaces and making people patreons of certain areas in order to avoid cluttering) I could not imagine any solution better suited to Knowledge management and business documentation than Confluence.
ProsWe use Confluence for serval years now, together with Jira (Ticket Management) and Bamboo (Build Server). It has proven its value time and again for us and provided us with clear, easy to navigate and edit business documentation for almost all areas of business. The Editor is esy to use, there are Plugins for all imaginable use cases (for example specific PDF exports) and a great FAQ and very helpful community. The Editor for content is fantastically in terms of ease of use and results to be generated. Also all Articles are stored versioned, so you can easyly go back a version, or check what has been changed in case you have to get back up to speed on a topic you left checking a while ago. You can follow authors, topics or wiki Spaces so Confluence keeps you in the loop about what is happening. In case you work on confidential material the user access management is just a dream to use, simple, powerful and without any ruged edges. Additional Features are added and when they are they are well thought through and perfectly conceptualized. I never have found a feature which did not deliver what it promised and more. Some are not for me but the ones that were introduced and sounded interesting generally were. This is THE tool for anyone who wants to document all kinds ok business knowledge from simple things like HowTo or FAQ Article to complex branches of deccsion documentations connected to development progress (by Jira ticket integration).
ConsConfluence has a lot of great features. The main Issue with Wiki Systems often is they work great in teh beginning and later become bogged down with badly maintained content or just forgotten structures. The search for the wiki still is not perfect. It has improved and is fine to use but I have seen better. There are also not a lot of features that support administrators in decluttering a large or huge Wiki and sometimes we had issues for complex, nested user rights. Also as always the case when you have an ecosystem of plugins, you have to make sure anything is compatible with a new version before you update, especially if it is a third party extension. Don't get me wrong, there is not much to complain here, you have to really look hard in order to find anything bad about Confluence.
November 25, 2018
November 6, 2018

“Perfect solution for interaction within our dev team and also for interaction between us & customers”

OverallI absolutely love the product. It is awesome. When your con list is made up of feature requests, you know the product is intensely used and you are looking for "more" or adjusting how things are done to help enable you to do your task, plus add functionality that would provide value for the product. This product is a 10 of 10 if you are using it right.
ProsThe widgets. I love the team calendars, the roadmap functionality for time lines, decision tracking and criteria, tasks/action items and the ease of defining them, status bars, and the flexibility for meeting notes, how to articles, blogs, file lists, product requirements, retrospectives, task reports, and troubleshooting articles from one source. It has really improved our interaction with customers for projects and documentation.
ConsFrom time to time I see issues with editing pages. It does not make the bold or color changes to changes even though the toolbar indicates it is made, it does not display correctly. I also see this display issue with tasks, where the tool bar indicates a task is inserted, but it is not displaying correctly. And also see this issue with bullets. It will display no bullet, or even worse, it displays additional bullets that I don't want. I would also love to be able to sync widgets between pages (ie a status bar on one page to a parent of that page for a summary. And also be able to sync components/pieces of a page between two Confluence instances. For an example of the use case, we have a time line that we maintain on an internal instance, and I want to sync parts of that timeline to an external instance that we share with customers. This would allow me to have internal only deliverables mapped, but provide a customer facing doc without maintaining two versions
November 6, 2018
Financial Services, 10,001+ employees
October 15, 2018

“Confluence for Team collaboration”

OverallMy overall business experience is great. Earlier team was sharing project content via emails that is a clumsy way to mamage and store the information, but as more and more people are using confluence it has become a repository and one stop shop to put knowledge at one palce which can be referred as and when needed. This is a great tool and a game changer for how we manage our collaboration within team for the project under Agile way
ProsThe best part about this software is the close integration with JIRA software. This is in real competition with Sharepoint as far as my understanding goes and I am an admin user for multiple scrum teams in my organization. Confluence in its own way is by far the easiest user-friendly software that I introduced in my team that was new to the agile world and now all our collaboration and communication on the process and tech document standpoint happens on Confluence. The comment section and different macros that can be added for adding content on a page and tree structure for pages created give this tool the edge and flexibility for teams to create the format that best suits to specific scrum team needs The technical document and usage of code snippet macro are very useful add-ons that have been given for formatting the content. from the project management standpoint, the product backlog and release planning can be done simply by adding JIRA tickets and their specific status that automatically is being fetched by confluence every time page is opened. The other most important feature is the ability to create JIRA tickets directly from the confluence page just select the text and then Confluence will give an option to create JIRA ticket and gets linked The reporting macros for JIRA tickets is a good way to track progress of projects
ConsAt an enterprise level, there are few web designing that is required to be done so that content that is already there can be structured in a much more web design format like links to confluence pages to be embedded in an image. That option is available but to central Admin and not to the page admin that makes confluence little crunched to admin users within a project. But this negative point is a very small piece in comparison to positives with this application.
October 15, 2018
Catherine G.
Operations
Public Policy, 1-10 employees
October 9, 2018

“It should be taken seriously”

OverallAs I mentioned before, I use it as a company wide manual where all employees have to leaf through it whenever they have a question on a certain procedure and if they have any changes they'd like to make to any old methods then they are encouraged to make the edits to keep the company knowledge up to speed.
ProsConfluence is great for creating company manuals or documenting company procedures. Think of it as a formal business blog or a wiki where you can keep a record of anything from basic tables outlining company info to company policies which can then be shared with the rest of the employees so that they can in turn, learn and input their own observations and knowledge. It organizes the pages for you and it makes it easy for anyone to search, edit and add new pages to keep the knowledge growing. At my company, we use it as a manual and all new employees have to read through it as part of their training. It allows you to add photos or videos to document special past events or to just simply make the page more interesting. The formatting ribbon looks similar to Microsoft word's so if you have experience with using a Word document then it should be no problem using the different types of formating options and if you have no experience then you'll get the hang of it pretty soon as it's fairly easy to deduce what each button does. I love how it is able to save any edits you make to a page and it doesn't publish it until you are ready so you are able to make new pages and edit old ones at your own pace and once you are done you can click on "publish". It alows you to restrict what other people can and cannot edit, it sends notifications to those who have a user in your account. I would recommend it.
ConsThe interface could use more color or some pizzazz as it looks pretty dull and it reminds me of an electric appliance manual: gray and boring to the point that you feel like throwing it away but then you are too afraid to do so because you may never know when you might need it. But then again, I use it as a company manual so I can't do much there, I'm guessing if you want something prettier then go get a blogging account but Confluence gets straight to the point and it should be taken seriously.
October 9, 2018
Maria Agnes C.
QA
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees
August 8, 2018

“One of the greatest tools to collaborate and build project knowledge base”

ProsA great collaboration tool where all project documents (from major project plan to reports to release cycle to simple meeting notes) can be organized and shared in one centralized location. The confluence editor feature makes it easier for me to create documents, review and share feedback and changes can be tracked thru page histories. Spaces are well organized and structured. There are page shortcuts, page trees, breadcrumb trails that aid users to navigate between pages and information. It is easy to build links within pages by adding an anchor. You don't need to remember which part of the page you have read a certain information and do page scroll. I like the gliffy plugin. Whenever I need to embed a workflow diagram, adding gliffy makes it easier to attach flowchart, it's dynamic as changes in the diagram is reflected in the page. I can highlight people in my reports or meeting notes by tagging them Documenting a test report is easier with the JIRA integration - JIRA issues highlighted and linked and JIRA issue filters can be embedded and since these two (JIRA and Confluence) work hand in hand, it makes delivering software in agile approach a lot easier.
ConsTo beautify your confluence page, you need to know which macros and plugins you need to add but by doing these, one needs to have very basic knowledge in html or programming which could be a learning curve to most people. But lots of how to videos are shared by Atlassian and lots of documented procedures are out there shared by experienced users. One just need to be resourceful. The challenges in embedding spreadsheet with macros and formatting tables are not a challenge anymore if you know what macro or plugin to use. Another issue is sometimes finding the information you are seeking is not successful and sometimes the information search for spans to multiple pages - but information actually can be managed by adding labels which again boils down to the user having the knowledge that this feature exists.
August 8, 2018
February 7, 2018

“A robust and feature-rich collaboration/documentation software that sets the standard”

OverallThe best wiki/collaboration/documentation software I've used professionally.
Pros- Lots of visual tools for organizing information, as well as molding communications: gliffy diagrams, code blocks, cells, spreadsheets. - Permissions model for segmenting information is greatly useful for organizations that create lots of documents and require some controls on searching and access to documents based on role. - Web-based interface for administrators of Confluence is convenient for managing content, delegation and authorization work. - There are many free software solutions in this sector of software, but generally require significant development to provide the value and features offered by confluence out of the box. - Development and improvements continue to be deployed, Confluence has not been static - Add-ons available through Atlassian marketplace to allow for further feature-adds for organization needs. I work in an IT environment, and diagrams for networks, software, process flows are invaluable for documentation purposes. - Shortcut commands for savvy power users saves lots of time inserting tools and setting up formatting with ease, once you are aware them.
Cons- Having used confluence for over 6 years, I have seen Confluence become more reliable with every update. At times, when something would go wrong with text formatting (bullet point indentation, for example), a power user could go to a tab of the document page you were working on, and edit the markup language of the page to correct the quirky formatting issue. This feature was removed. To the credit of Confluence, fixing such issues is less and less necessary, but power users like myself still miss it. - The permissions models can be confusing at times, even for highly technical people supporting the software. I do not think this is an issue with Confluence, but rather, a caution to administrators who approach permissions from different eco-systems.
February 7, 2018
Anna M.
Business Analyst
Legal Services, 501-1000 employees
January 21, 2016

“Awesome”

OverallCompany: Midsize Industry: Legal Documentation is my bread & butter and I have never used a better solution than Confluence. I also use JIRA and JIRA Service Desk, which taken all together amount to a mostly-seamless solution for all of my documentation needs!
ProsWith Confluence we have an environment that is very efficient to work in to add new content, very easy to update articles and manage file attachments. The keyboard shortcuts are second to none. It is an absolute pleasure to work in Confluence all day. Setting up spaces for various audiences, including a "personal space" allows me to draft documents privately and then move the document over into a space with an audience. Effectively I can "publish" content to employees with a couple of mouse clicks. Permissions are very well thought out. The permission scheme is based on spaces, individuals and groups, with flexibility from super-locked-down to wide open on the public internet. It allows control of various actions per person or per group, and affords us maximum utility of the product. People within the business are dreaming up different ways to use it faster than we can implement them. As with any full-featured system that allows you total control as an administrator, successful use of the product requires that you lay out your business requirements clearly first so that there are no unexpected outcomes. Establishing best practices for content creators within the system is also advisable. I have used other systems in the past, notably MediaWiki and SharePoint, and while I enjoyed them at the time, Confluence blows everything else out of the water. The control and flexibility is unparalleled and the product has obviously been designed for use in environments where project priorities, staff hierarchies, etc can experience rapid significant change. I also highly recommend the Atlassian sister product JIRA and add-on JIRA Service Desk for task based work management. It is incredibly useful.
ConsWith great power comes great responsibility and great potential to make an absolute mess of things. Deployment of this tool to a large user base would require some serious preparation to establish access schemes, permissions for user groups, best practices for editing and creating new content, and organizing content within the spaces. End user training is critical to cement those rules and establish a culture around using it effectively. I would not recommend deploying this tool in a slapdash hurry (Although, given it's innate flexibility, it would be easier to correct it later with Confluence than some of its competitors!)
January 21, 2016
aqsa y.
IT PERSON
August 21, 2019

“Confluence my writer tool for all time”

OverallMy experience with this software is up-to the mark because i can easily manage all my daily task with it with full ease and also this valuable application allows me to create JIRA tickets directly which is most interesting.
ProsI have been using this amazing software since last 2 years and its amazing tools for writing purpose helps in creating a large number of documents t full ease also this product has variety of features that influence me to use it is its ability to make road maps for my work and also it helps me in decision tracking with full ease of defining all its status bars. Indeed this software has improved my interaction with my clients a bit more easier and convenient as well.
ConsFew things that i personally don't like in this particular software is that it doesn't allow me to make certain edits in my documents and also i cannot make changes with toolbar as well. One more thing that i frequently experienced is that am not able to sync widgets between pages in it that is a bit more frustrating sometime.
August 21, 2019
Luke C.
Researcher
Research, 11-50 employees
September 17, 2018

“The Perfect Internal Knowledge Database”

OverallWhen WikiSpaces recently reported that they were closing their service right after I purchased an annual membership, both myself and my employer was quite disappointing. AS a result I lost funding for our internal knowledge database (it was a pet project to improve my value to the company). As a result, I experimented with many different alternatives, and finally settled with Confluence. I have been so happy with it that I also use it for my own small businesses knowledge base. it is efficient, has a dedicated mobile app, full of features and integrations, and carries a very modern look.
ProsAn incredible amount of features and integrations. Confluence is able to easily communicate with Google apps, Microsoft Office programs, etc. It even includes it's own widgets for creating Gantt charts! The presentation is quite modern, and though I haven't dig into it yet, I've seen that there's also a theme system in place to change the appearance of the environment. Embedding pictures and diagrams are really easy and have enough options to get it to look the way you want. Confluence frequently has both minor and major updates, it can be kinda exciting to login on a Monday morning and see something new!
ConsIt would be nice to have some level of image editor native to the app, similar to what one has in WordPress. It seems to have everything but a proper footnote widget, something that I really favor in both my research and my workplace. With the frequent updates, also comes the chance that not everyone will appreciate the changes; I had been using the blog feature for a few months quite happily, but recently they changed a few of the features in the blog function to make it more mobile friendly. As a result I lost a few features that I favored. It did however improve over time and I got over the lost of those features.
September 17, 2018
Bhavani N.
DevOps Engineer
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
September 6, 2019

“The best tool for documentation”

OverallWe went confluence when we had to share the workflows, test documentation, development documentation, important reads and links for new employees to get onboarded technically.
ProsThe ease of usage, diversification of the type of data that can be input, access control options. It was so easy to add flowcharts. If multiple people were editing the same document, the way it was handled is great!
ConsThe performance of the page load when there are diagrams and lots of text on a page was low. Less options to Export, like exporting to Excel is not present.
September 6, 2019
Miguel G.
Graphic Design, 1-10 employees
November 19, 2018

“Powerful Wiki for any business need”

OverallIf you are an organization that is planning to utilize Confluence and other Atlassian products, I would recommend introducing an administrator to this product. As the use of the product grows, not properly managing it can become more cumbersome than useful. This powerful tool can get out of control when not managed due to its enormous customization features and lack of understanding its features and functionalities across the enterprise.
ProsConfluence is an Atlassian product that provides a very powerful Wiki platform for documentation. More than just a Wiki or Blog, Confluence is a collaborative tool with extensive customization features. You can control every aspect of Confluence, from its overall design and layout to permissions and properties. Confluence offers an online as well as a local server version, with minimal differences between their functionalities. Confluence has an extensive library of add-ons and integrations that expand the product's capabilities. Confluence provides shared work spaces as well as personal spaces and pages that allow users to manage content.
ConsNot necessarily a con, but Confluence's extensive customization capabilities can often create a slight to challenging learning curve. This is why many organizations who rely heavily on this and other Atlassian products, often have administrators who tend specifically to the Atlassian suite.
November 19, 2018
Tania G.
Analyste principale
501-1000 employees
July 31, 2018

“Best wiki I've ever used”

OverallWidespread adoption. A wiki is only as good as the content you have in it and having an easy to use tool made people want to use it and create documentation.
ProsI love the ease of use of the editor and the content management features. I fell in love as soon as I saw I could copy/paste screen shots directly in the editor - it's such a time saver for me. You can also re-organize your documents in a snap, drag-and-dropping through the hierarchical view or using the Move feature. Content reports let you create page lists on the fly with the information you want in them. Templates are awesome - you can use theirs, customize them and even create your own so that your content stays consistent even when multiple users are creating documents.
ConsMost of the advanced features you need are available through paid-for add-ons. And still, I can't find a decent image management add-on. Also, when we had a few licences, the cost was negligible, but as the usage is growing, even though some of these add-ons are only used by a few users, we have to pay for the whole company. Finally, managing these add-ons as we upgrade Confluence versions is not always seamless. Some add-ons just stop working and aren't updated by the vendors, leaving us without the feature we've come to appreciate.
July 31, 2018
Jennifer L.
Aviation & Aerospace, 1-10 employees
June 9, 2017

“My go to for collaboration”

ProsConfluence on the cloud is really easy to use. Non-technical people and technical people can easily figure it out. What I love about it is that it kinda of has a social media feel and but has all of the functionality to manage a Lean Agile project. The integration into the Google Suite of tools has brought some other key features like single sign on via Google Accounts which is kind of nice. Anything to battle security fatigue is a plus in my book. The cost is also really affordable for new businesses and start-ups and even personal projects. Why did I not use Confluence to plan my wedding?! Anyways,I digress..this is definitely one of my favorite collaboration tools out there and if you think you need to work together on a team doing MULTIPLE projects, Confluence is a must have.
ConsI feel like every time I go in there, there is a new widget to use. There are so many of them that I don't have time to go through them all to find out if it is worth getting! Atlassian should consider sending "recommender" notifications of tools that might fit our needs based on our usage pattern. I'm not overly concerned about privacy here, but if there is a new widget that I don't know about I'd like at least a small tickler or notification to check it out.
June 9, 2017
David M.
Lead Business Analyst
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees
January 8, 2019

“Sensational Collaborative Tool”

OverallOur project team had a need for a collaborative environment where members could share information to help educate one another. One key benefit I have come to realize is the ability to define permissions for which team members could access each page.
ProsFrom the set up of a pages to creating the structure of a Confluence space, I have found Confluence to be incredibly easy to use. As part of the Atlassian suite, the integration with Jira is a great added bonus. The control panel makes for quickly formatting the rich text. One of my favorite parts is the customization of templates. The feature I have used most often is the recurring use of the customized Meeting Notes template. It has proved to be an effective means for presenting to meeting attendees what was discussed and decided upon. Relating to that is what I like to consider as a hidden gem of Confluence - the consolidation of the action items from different meetings.
ConsThere really isn't much. I guess one thing to call out would be around creating tables. It is very difficult to see the borders of the columns and rows. I find that I can struggle to know where to be entering the text within a cell. It was be nice if there were options to select the thickness of the lines.
January 8, 2019
Apparel & Fashion, Unspecified
July 14, 2018

“Good documentation and wiki tool”

OverallEasy project tracking, effective documentation and the ability to have integration with other tools are some of the good features that I like in Confluence.
ProsIt is designed well and is helpful is storing team tracking and information documentation. Confluence acts as our central repository and acts as the wiki for projects across various departments to document a project starting from design to implementation and maintenance. Any document/task could be properly managed to editing features for the team and a history of changes that are made to keep track of the iterative updates that are made on a document. Also, integration with other Atlassian tools like JIRA is very useful to tracking a feature from difference perspectives and keeping everyone aligned within the team on the current status and next steps.
ConsOrganization of the pages can be improved as it is sometimes not straightforward to find content related to a particular project or task. Also, the inline editing tools for a document could be enhanced as you end up relying on macros and other tools very often to be able to properly structure and format a confluence page. Searching the documents is not very easy and it is sometimes difficult to find the right content when needed.
July 14, 2018
Ellie J.
Senior Project Manager
June 7, 2017

“Great product for documentation”

ProsThis product is great for documentation and sharing information. I do a lot of training documentation and Confluence is a great place to store the information. Anyone in our company can easily access the information through a link. Because it is online the information in the training materials is always up to date; we don't have to worry about someone having an outdated version of the document. In addition, Confluence allows for screenshots to be easily added, which is awesome, and it automatically resizes them, which is amazing. You can also add grids (which isn't Confluence's strong suit but still a nice feature) and Table of Contents and many more features. In addition, you do get to keep Revision History in Confluence so if you change something and need to reference an old version of the document you still can. And, you can change the access different people have so some people can edit the document and others can only view, or some can't view at all.
ConsThe software was a little confusing to learn to use. Now that I know how to use it, it is easy, but we did have to have some training. While others are learning it they aren't using it much because it is kind of foreign to them but if we could get past adoption issues the software would be a great help to us.
June 7, 2017
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
October 6, 2019

“Not just another knowledge base”

OverallOverall, Confluence has improved communication between our business analysts and developers. It has also helped us to better embrace documentation for our products and helped us with project management and issue tracking.
ProsYou can create a page in seconds. It's super easy to pull your Jira issues onto pages in Confluence. There are great templates that help you follow best practices for project documentation and great plugins that help you with things like mockups.
ConsThe administration piece is a little challenging if you have not received any training on it. I feel like the user management and some of the other configuration settings could be improved upon.
October 6, 2019
Luca D.
Head of Design
August 27, 2019

“Confluence the wiki for your projects”

OverallWith Confluence we sold a big problem in the project data collection. Now with confluence we (as a company) are able to collect and store all the critical projects informations
ProsConfluence is the tool that allow you and your colleague to communique and collect all the project informations. The things that i like the most is versatility in the project structure creation and the ability to create and share very complex pages. We use confluence daily on different level of the organization from the management to the clients project
ConsThe thing that I dislike the most is the page editor but don't despair with the new redesign they rethink from the ground up all the content creation experience so for now I don't have a real cons.
August 27, 2019
Benjamin M.
Activations Coordinator
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees
August 10, 2019

“A complex platform - in all the right ways”

OverallWith confluence, we have created a fantastic "KB" (Knowledge Base) forum for our business. It's a place to document processes, link to useful software, and it ultimately makes work and collaboration easier.
ProsConfluence has so many layers of security and permission structures that you'll never accidentally let someone see a page they shouldn't. Once set up properly, it's an amazing way to collaborate! The sheer number of customization plugins and add-ins really lets you make it your own.
ConsThe difficulty of getting it running on your own server and making it work initially. Confluence has good documentation, but it's still a fairly difficult implementation. There are some slightly confusing licensing models, too.
August 10, 2019
Philanthropy, 1001-5000 employees
February 1, 2019

“Confluence - A truly collaborative application.”

OverallOverall, I highly recommend Confluence for any organization that is looking for collaborative software. It is extremely useful and easy to learn.
ProsConfluence is incredibly easy to use. It is designed to be a collaborative tool, to share information (wiki-style), documents, photos, etc. Our organization has been stuck on SharePoint for so long that there are documents for days upon years stacked up in unused libraries. Confluence has been a lifesaver for us by allowing us to rid the libraries of these outdated documents and placing the content we need access to right there on the page. If a template is needed, we can add that template to the page for download. We can link to other Confluence pages for additional or related information and build child pages to help dive deeper into a topic. We also utilize JIRA for our ticketing system and since Confluence and JIRA are both owned by Atlassian, we can integrate metrics, reporting, dashboards, and other information from JIRA in a way that is consumable within Confluence. We also can add Tableau reports, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, Adobe PDFs, etc. It works extremely well with other applications.
ConsMy least favorite part about Confluence is its limited page customization from a font and color perspective. It will also only allow up to three columns and other formatting limitations. There might be macros to overcome this, but that is also frustrating. Macros have been built to "fix" things within Confluence by hundreds (if not thousands) of other individuals and companies. Many sell those macros and varying costs. It has forced us as an organization to maintain a dev environment just to ensure that a macro that we bring in isn't malicious. Confluence's base macros are extremely basic and sometimes not very useful.
February 1, 2019
Defense & Space, 51-200 employees
December 21, 2018

“Great for team collaboration and information sharing within an organization!”

OverallConfluence is great for presenting data and information for other users on the team to see, but can be a struggle to customize or format in the way you want.
ProsConfluence is very easy to use. Within the company, we use Confluence for creating guides, work instructions, and capturing other forms of data in spaces that we can organize. Everyone on the team has the ability to modify pages, adding their own inputs, or making comments. The tool supports a few useful methods of formatting information: tables, images, code snippets, and the usual rich text formatting styles. There are various addons that expand Confluence's basic functions. Confluence and JIRA can work together and you are able to add JIRA links or view JIRA field data directly from Confluence. It is easy to draft pages without publishing them until ready. The tool also has many other features for customizing your spaces, from page layouts to color schemes, but my company has these options limited to admin users only.
ConsAs much as it is great to enter information on pages in a very presentable manner, text formatting can be very frustrating. When you are on a bulletted list and want to remove the bullet from the next text line, it often also affects the previous line. It is the same thing for bolding or indentations, text isn't often treated as per line but sort of in groups of lines that I haven't been able to figure out. It is certainly not as easy as writing things out within a Word document or other word formatting tool.
December 21, 2018
Marketing and Advertising, 10,001+ employees
October 25, 2018

“Confluence Review”

OverallWe solved myriad of business problems with Confluence, but chief among them was categorizing and organizing tasks and results for not only our group, but for other groups and our teams to see. For us, it was a place to digitally house relevant documentation of everything from the start and progress of projects to meeting agendas and meetings. It served as an online hub for our documents and activities, freeing up room from our servers and local drives.
ProsWhat I like most about Confluence is the transparency and visibility it gives to other members of your team so they can keep track of what's going on. I like that we can post information to Confluence, have ownership and have accountability applied to the user. Everything is documented and it's an easy-to-use format.
ConsWhat I liked least about Confluence is that it takes a while to figure out how to use it effectively. And there isn't a lot of support for user's to find solutions. It usually helps if someone on your team or in your workplace is familiar with Confluence and can walk you through it. Designating groups, uploading and categorizing information and tagging the right people for the right context was a struggle for me at first, but I figured it out.
October 25, 2018
March 30, 2018

“Great software for both internal- and external-facing documentation”

OverallConfluence is a more than capable page for generating support documentation.
ProsI liked that Confluence is really easy-to-use. A GUI editor means that you can just write things down even if you don't have any background in markdown. Inserting screen captures into your documentation pages is also easy, as all you have to do is copy, then drop the captures into the page, without needing to save them beforehand. Confluence has everything my team needs for coming up with comprehensive support documents. There are also many third-party plugins you can use for your documents, e.g. for generating PDF copies and formatting print-friendly pages.
ConsAlthough the GUI editor is cool, at times, particularly when I want to customize a page, it's also its biggest drawback. You can't customize the page at all. Moreover, there are times when Confluence takes too long a time to load. Lastly, although documentation is comprehensive, at times, you have to do a lot of digging before you can find the appropriate support page for a feature. This might be because of the software's broad list of features. Many of the third-party plugins are also quite expensive.
March 30, 2018
Jared M.
NOC Manager
September 19, 2019

“Documentation Basics”

OverallWe've used this for some time because it just works. That said administering it has been somewhat frustrating at times due to us not having a developer on staff. Doing anything with the tool other than building spaces and pages will require some time investment and some very strong guidline adherence from your documentation editors and contributors in order to 'work'. For us, it hasn't been working, we need more structure and will therefore likely leave the product behind soon.. But this tool absolutely has its place for many scenarios.
ProsConfluence makes for a great entry point into getting a Knowledge Base or even an environment of communication in your business. Creating pages is simple and with lots of features its easy to get them looking very presentable. Some built in templates help get you thinking like you need to in creating an organized environment that is easy to surf and find what you need. An advanced back-end makes it so you can develop if that's your thing. Not to mention the ability to host yourself with the myriad bonus' that that comes with.
ConsTime: If you need advanced layout and/or don't have the first clue in how to structure your environment this tool may not be for you.
September 19, 2019
Krystyna L.
Quality Assurance Manager
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
February 28, 2019

“A multifunctional wiki system, but not a storage repository”

OverallIf you are looking for a way to collaborate better, Confluence will provide you with all the necessary features for this. Definitely, Confluence deserves to be recommended thanks to its high level of productivity, multifunctionality, and ease of use.
ProsThe abilities provided by Confluence to work with documents and other content are incredible. It is a pretty simple action to attach various types of documents, as well as track, look them through, and search the necessary ones. The latter is available due to the possibilities of the advanced program's search system as well. Apart from this mentioned functionality, our company also likes the security level of Confluence, its administrative and management features, and powerful configuration capabilities.
ConsWe like how powerful Confluence is as a wiki system. However, this product is not a storage repository at all. That is why our employees and clients of our services are sometimes confused because of the constant need to switch between different platforms. It may be really hard to figure out which solution should be preferred in every particular case (for instance, SharePoint or Atlassian Confluence). Otherwise, we do not have any other serious drawbacks we have found about Confluence to share with potential users of the solution.
February 28, 2019
July 20, 2018

“Using this software from last 4 years. It's simple, easy to understand and user friendly.”

OverallI have prepared lot of documents related to my project and placed those at Confluence. Shared the link to those documents within my team. Anyone who need it simply download it from that location. Also downloaded lot of documents from confluence which helped me to understand the project. No need to approach different people for the documents.
Pros1. It is a centralized location to store documents at organization or personal level which can be easily available around the globe. 2. Simple and user friendly interface. No special training is required to understand the tool. 3. Use to track your daily activities like meetings, scrums happening at organization level which can be easily monitor by higher authority through this tool. 4. Easily can be linked with Jira. 5. Notification functionality is one of the strong feature present in the tool. Team will get notification through mail if some update the page.
Cons1. Searching the document is bit difficult if someone forget the name of the document. 2. Don't have the option to chat with colleagues at organization level . 3. It's not free. User has to pay to get the license.
July 20, 2018
Heather Z.
Manager, Ad Solutions
Media Production, 10,001+ employees
March 26, 2019

“Confluence: the documentation dominator!”

OverallConfluence is our documentation heavy-hitter. And we don't just use it as a system of record, but we also use it to share information cross-company. In almost all instances it has replaced the need for emails, shared drives, and online documents! It's nice having everything (securely) in one place, right at your fingertips.
ProsIn the hectic world we live in today, it seems like a bigger challenge to take a few beats to write things down. My team has become a champion of documentation, but often the larger issue is overlooked: where will this documentation live so that it is accessible and can continue to evolve?! Confluence was the perfect solution!! We have paved the way on the documentation frontier and the rest of the organization has finally jumped on board. Confluence not only allows for cross-team collaboration, but it's a magnificent way to organize and share documentation.
ConsYou really need a game plan when organizing your documentation in how Confluence sets up the hierarchies and the rich text editor format may take a little to get used to if you are coming from other documentation products.
March 26, 2019
Pedro C.
Operations Manager
Information Services, 51-200 employees
February 17, 2019

“You pay the premium but you get the best”

OverallI have created and managed years-long projects in Confluence, involving over 100 users. I have trained users on how to use Confluence. People that are not so savvy with technology might struggle a little bit with Confluence. Confluence does have amazing documentation on the tool, as well as a very helpful community. What I also suggest is, if you are the administrator of the tool, is to do "Confluence 101" webinars to the users and record it as well. You can then upload that recording into confluence itself, on a "how to" section, where you can also small short videos on where to find certain things in Confluence, or do certain tasks, and when you send users the invite to join Confluence you can simply ask then to check those videos as a first step.
ProsMost complete collaboration software out there. It does 99% of want you might want to do. The other 1% are still achieved but slightly different than you might expect.
ConsNo red flags in this product. The learning curve is a little but step. But I guess that comes with any software that is so complete and powerful. I think that based on all the capabilities of this tool, it's relatively easy to use after you have spent a couple of days going through it.
February 17, 2019
Abizer A.
Senior Analyst
April 11, 2018

“A very useful tool for managing the complete knowledge repository and team-management information.”

OverallThere are quite a few business problems that we solve using Confluence, the most important one is team collaboration. with confluence our team can collaborate and share information and documents with ease. We can archive information, we can add information to confluence and every stakeholder will be notified about any updates etc which is quite useful in a high-demand scenario as ours. Another business problem that we solve using confluence is progress tracking and reporting by integrating it with Jira.
ProsThe way we can organize the information and the complete knowledge repository is pretty good. Here we can manage all the data with ease and in properly organized manner. The searching of any information is quite easy. Another good factor is its various integrated tools like I can manage a team calendar here, make various add-ons and integrate it with Jira etc which is quite useful for us.
ConsSome of the things which I dislike is its Page-Tracking. Sometimes we have seen that the page tracking doesn't work pretty well. Another thing which makes me uneasy is its formatting of pages which is trivial at times and I cannot add much graphics
April 11, 2018
Robert W.
PRoject Manager
Telecommunications, 1001-5000 employees
September 24, 2019

“Works Well for end users but a bit cumbersome on the admin side”

OverallThe company uses Confluence as its main tool for intranet communications, with spaces for HR, IT, Business Areas and so on. End users can find information off the main landing page and go to where they need to go. A big plus for us is the ability to set up spaces and pages to fit unique needs as well as use templates for a consistent look and feel. The many add ons and tools make Confluence a great tool for the different units to use as best fits their needs. There are some improvements to be made in search capabilities and more intuitive instructions, but for a huge tool, it's one of the best
ProsEasy collaboration for teams from 2 to infinity. WIki pages can be made for multiple uses and viewed by those that need to see it. Scalable and easy to template makes consistency great. The integration of Gliffy Diagrams and JIRA is most helpful.
ConsConfluence is easy for someone just viewing or collaborating on a page BUT is cumbersome to manage, and permissions (privatizing a page) is difficult and the written help is not good at all. THis sometimes means giving permissions for a whole space in order to give permission for a page.
September 24, 2019
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
September 21, 2019

“Good for organizing content”

OverallUltimately, I think it is a very useful set of software, but it is not as much a database as a content-management system. If you intend to use it to create and share documentation, it's great. Storing and reporting on details requires other tools.
ProsI liked the ability to customize and to store lots of documentation. We also used it for working on documentation with a team while maintaining change-tracking, which was great.
ConsTo be really useful, it requires the addition of a lot of plug-ins, which allows you to do more extensive exporting, do things like "find & replace" across more than just a page, etc.
September 21, 2019
Kate B.
Communications Manager
Internet, 201-500 employees
September 4, 2019

“Great for Documentation, But Needs Better Editing Tools”

OverallOverall, Confluence is best when used in conjunction with Jira and other software. I don't think Confluence is the best tool for writers and editors, but it works great for tech teams.
ProsConfluence is great for keeping SOPs, meeting notes and other documentation organized. It really helps everyone on your team stay on the same page, and it's easy to create different teams, projects, etc. Plus, you can easily insert your Jira tickets so if you're managing projects there, the integration is flawless.
ConsI'm an editor and I find it really difficult to track editorial changes within the software (mainly because it wasn't designed for that purpose). You can see the history of changes and add comments to each page, but you can't add tracking the way you can in Microsoft Word or Google Docs. I have to embed Google Docs into Confluence rather than adding content directly to Confluence pages. You also can't copy images from Confluence into external software, which is a pain when needing to copy documentation that includes screenshots and graphics.
Computer Software, 10,001+ employees
August 20, 2019

“Living Documentation was not same before Confluence”

OverallSo far it has been great experience. We have an enterprise instance of Confluence for more than 10000 users who manage their project documentation on daily basis in Confluence
ProsConfluence is just not document file repository but a great tool to enable team collaboration and living documentation principles. Other features include easy to use, configurable with tons of marketpace, vast community support
Consno workflow driven plugins available for Confluence. Also flowchart driven plugins lack intuitiveness and ease of operation.
Steve B.
User Experience Lead
Financial Services, 10,001+ employees
July 29, 2019

“Finally converging on an intuitive wiki solution for the enterprise”

OverallConfluence is the new target for my organization for storing and sharing content, replacing the venerable SharePoint. However, migrating information from SharePoint to Confluence is a laborious task. Several programs offer to expedite the process, but the morass that results is often more work than a manual move. This isn't the fault of Confluence, but is rather due to the very different nature of what SharePoint attempts to do versus a wiki. The only area in which I feel the product truly lacks is integration/support of copy/paste from Excel. A lot of the complex formulas used to create products in Excel are lost when a table is pasted into a Confluence page. This almost always means pasting the spreadsheet as an image, and adding the Excel document as an embedded attachment. It would be far better if the product supported more features of Excel in its tables. Thus, while we are moving the content sharing section out of SharePoint, we are not abandoning that product as it still has other collaboration features that are meaningful to a Microsoft-based organization.
Pros(Nearly) seamless integration with JIRA Simple to set up integration with SSO
ConsTables, an integral feature of wikis, are still limited in their nature and too complex to create and modify
July 29, 2019
Nikolay N.
knowledge manager and senior technical writer
March 12, 2019

“Complete knowledge storage and management functionality for a software development project”

OverallI used Confluence at a large fintech project as a knowledge base for the entire project team, both development and commercial, for more then a year. After I've created the initial framework for knowledge storage (spaces system, contents tree, tags, rules etc.) and wrote some core articles the team members started to fulfill it with their knowledge: tables, code samples, descriptions et al. It worked greatly for the entire project manageability and productivity.
Pros1. It provides both simple and versatile tool for knowledge storage and management at a sophisticated software development project. 2. It integrates easily with other software project management tools from the same vendor (JIRA) and from the third parties as well (Google Docs, Slack, Adobe and many others). 3. It contains the add-ons marketplace providing a lot of solutions for the functionality customization for certain project. 4. Last but not the least - it has a free tariff covering lots of demands of lesser and medium project teams.
ConsI think that some users may consider the formatting/markup functionality of the page editor (fonts, styles, etc.) too minimalist. For me it was not a big problem, I utilized seamless Google Docs or PDFs integration where rich text formatting was a must.
March 12, 2019
11-50 employees
February 9, 2018

“Great tool for sharing notes and organizing a notable amount of documentation”

ProsIf you're in a small, growing software dev team, you get to the point that you can't remember the details of everything you work on. You start writing txt or doc files that you have to look for It's way easier to start working with it wrt another Atlassian tool like Jira - once you stop trying to use all the available features. Later, when you know what you need, you will probably find a plugin for that, like embedding draw.io diagrams, pdf files, spreadsheet-like calculations integrated with Jira, etc. There's a lot of freedom in how to organize the documents. Recently our company got an ISO certification for Quality Management and Confluence proved to be a perfect tool to manage documentation, drafts, modules, also keeping an eye on access restrictions.
ConsThe amount of features can be daunting, especially the tutorials that seem more like a showcase than a way to start working quickly. Just start with blank pages and try the features with the time that your work allows. The cloud version can be slow sometimes if you're far from Atlassian's infrastructures. Many interesting plugins are not free (but they're probably worth it).
February 9, 2018
Randall H.
11-50 employees
January 14, 2018

“Great for building knowledge base and capturing work documentation”

OverallOverall, Confluence is a great tool for capturing useful and shareable information between individuals, groups, teams, or projects. It contains many useful features and addons that can expand on its basic capabilities.
ProsWe have used Confluence to capture work instructions, business rules, technical information, links to artifacts, tool usage documentation, keeping track of tasks via embedded calendars or links to JIRA. It is for the most part very easy to use, populate, create and organize pages, and add widgets. With elevated privileges, one can manage interface colors, layout, templates, widgets, permissions, spaces, and many others. There are many widgets that can be useful to a project or team.
ConsIf you have access to space and page settings, they seem often unintuitive. It is hard to manage who can or can't view pages and use other advanced features. Confluence's integration with JIRA is very limited, only IDs or IDs with names can be displayed. If there was a way for Confluence to display tables based on a JIRA query, that would be way more useful.
January 14, 2018
Mike M.
February 10, 2015

“Use of Confluence for Knowledgebase and QMS”

OverallDespite off-the-shelf options, we built our Quality Mgmt System using Confluence. Best feature is the ability to collaboratively share documents. Advantages of this over our previous method (shared directory on server): 1. No out of sync document instances. There is one instance with the ability to post live excerpts or link to the document elsewhere. When the document is revised, shared content is also. 2. Ability to search all document content. 3. Group memberships can be granted to users in a simple way, allowing for reviewing assignments, permissions, targeted content, and task lists. 4. A variety of macros allowed many additional features within our local instance (self-hosted). These include: a read confirmation macro (to record employees keeping up to date on required procedures), a document approval macro with configurable workflows (the basis for our document change/review procedure), page attachments (that allows related documents to be stored on summary pages), a reporting macro that automatically creates summary table on parent pages in a tabular form of their child pages, and a very simple flow charting macro (Gliffy) that is fairly powerful. The downside is that the editor is a bit buggy (with numbered/bulleted lists) and plays differently in different browsers. It appears to be the most stable in Chrome, but a feature allowing editing in place of MS Office documents is only functional in IE. The WYSIWIG editor is fairly light without a lot of format options (for some this turns out to be fairly economical and is a much simpler user interface than Office products). Frustratingly, I have been dumped out of pages or have had them lock up. I'm also very frustrated with the documentation available (core product and macros). Although the feature descriptions vary from OK to mediocre, my issue is the lack of application examples. Without examples, one is left to a trial-and-error approach. I have truly hated this! Once the concepts are learned, it does seem fairly straightforward. For this reason, I rated ease of use as 4/5 even though I very much like the product and gave it 5/5. I haven't used customer service, so no rating. As a part-time QMS manager wanting to get others involved in the shared management of our system and its documents, I've been very happy with our choice. Where other QMS software may have worked out of the box without development, I don't believe that they would have been as collaborative as our Confluence based system.
February 10, 2015
Cristian B.
Sr Software Development Manager
Semiconductors, 501-1000 employees
July 18, 2019

“Confluence - your one place for the knowledge center”

OverallWe use Confluence as a knowledge center, to have one place to go for all our documentation. It has worked great so far and many people inside the company has adopted it already.
ProsConfluence is very collaborative, meant to keep people "on the same page" in regards to your documentation/knowledge needs. It has templates that you can use to create different kinds of documents, with built in html and css that makes your pages look nice. It integrates with Jira for bug tracking, which means you can relate a ticket in Jira to its document in Confluence so that people can learn more about that issue, if needed. The permissions scheme is very flexible allowing you to address complex requirements when it comes to not allowing people across spaces or external people seeing restricted documentation.
ConsFor non technical people is not as easy to use, if you want them to create nice looking pages/documents you need to have some hands-on training. The price of the software is per number of users and it goes up really fast.
July 18, 2019
Jay S.
Computer Software, 10,001+ employees
February 26, 2019

“Collaborative space for sharing thoughts, ideas and documents. ”

OverallI have been using confluence page for a while now. I have used confluence primarily for knowledge management and sharing internally across teams. I have documented lots of how to articles that helps every one (including myself), to refer to at latter times.
ProsYou can create your own page for the idea you want to share. You can create different spaces by division or particular project. Very easy to use platform. There are multiple templates available to help you start. Starting from "how to" templates to technical documentation templates. Easy to follow an article or author. Editing and formating is so easy with the available tools in confluence. You can insert images, links etc to create a great page. Newsfeed feature which provides the most current blog postings and happenings in the organization.
ConsSome time automailers from confluence floods you inbox. so be careful on what and whom you are following. some time the page response gets slow and that will frustrate you. but that does not happen very often.
February 26, 2019
Jenny R.
Independent Representative
Research, Self-employed
October 17, 2018

“This is the enterprise svn-wiki”

OverallI used to journal ever since I was a little girl. Now everything I do is systematically recorded and documentated on my own hosted Confluence server. So that whenever I want to repeat anything I have done: code that I have written, system which I developed, game that I played or idea that I have heard - I can now search and call them up to reimplement elsewhere - all thanks to Confluence which has also excellent permissions and protections.
ProsWe have used this to document projects and write protocols which can be used for reference without scrolling through months of chats to find what you need. It is best used as a static repository of the final work or versions which are fairly stable. For tasks, we use the sister product which can be integrated - JIRA. The main benefit of your Confluence is that all your changes are tracked and versioned using svn.
ConsLike I hinted previously, that it should used as a repository of protocols and documentation where changes are not very frequent since although it has versioning it gets rather unmanageable when there are hundreds of changes.
October 17, 2018
Consumer Electronics, 10,001+ employees
August 20, 2019

“Pretty good utility for maintaining Wiki for teams”

OverallA great collaboration tool where majority of the design reviews, explanation of how a feature works etc are documented.
ProsProvides great flexibility to add weblink, code snippets, tables etc in the document. I specially like the 'watch' functionality which sends out an email anytime there is a major update to the page. I also think the Poll functionality is pretty effective.
ConsNot very intuitive. I recall I had to spend a lot of time the initial few times when I used this SW to even understand basic stuff such as adding rows to a table etc.