Help Scout Ratings

Overall

About Help Scout

Help Scout scales like any other help desk, but the customer experience feels personalized like email. Help Scout is ideal for companies of all sizes, and supports companies with 500+ users. Help Scout's clutter-free features keep teams of any size on the same page. With best in-class-reporting, integrated knowledge base, robust API and tons of integrations, and free iPhone app to support customers on the go, Help Scout lets your team focus on what really matters: your customers. Learn more about Help Scout

Celeste O.
Customer Support Lead
Printing, 11-50 employees
August 12, 2019

“Great customer focused company to work with! ”

OverallExcellent. While there is some admittedly cool functionality that other CRMs offer at higher prices, they don't make sense for our current business needs and you really can't beat Helpscout when it comes to their customer service and help resources. It's excellent working with a team who really care what their customers and their customers' customers think.
ProsTheir entire philosophy is centered around customer satisfaction and success. This mirrors our own approach and it's great seeing that in action. They are also great at handling questions and service requests, and I love all the support and information resources they offer.
ConsI wish the reporting functions were better and more detailed. Sometimes when something wasn't functioning in a way that worked for it, their response was suggesting a work around that would require a service plan upgrade when I figured out a work around that could work at our current level, but that is a very minor gripe.
August 12, 2019
John F.
That Guy
Entertainment, 11-50 employees
September 10, 2017

“Help Scout transformed our intra-office communication moments from chaos in motion to ballet.”

Overallto keep it simple..streamlined staff communications on everything from emails to phone call messages to intra-office project coordination and much more. Did I mention not having to get emails about emails that were about a forward of an email that was a forwarded email snippet...yep
ProsI no longer get an email about an email that is about a forward of an email which was originally about an email that was about an email that was forwarded regarding an email that was sent. Exactly..we have all had the pleasure of deciphering the shortened email snippet, forwards and the references to email threads that are broken but with Help Scout I now see it all..and see when..and where ..and who..Yep.. order to the choas of my many "conversations". And ohhhhh sooo much data hygine..i agree a terrible phrase but such a critical thing for any serious business. This includes a robust beyond belief search and filter feature. For those who appreciate effecient shortcuts and cross refereneced data points...yep tags..and filtering by tags as well. The bane of my existence is also the best feature which is the timeline transparancy that Help Scout brings. We all know who touched what when so we can not step on toes and if we try they put in the "traffic cop" feature to prevent unprofessional duplicate customer touches. Additionally, you can use Help Scout to assign voicemails to staff individual to deal with if your voicemail service offers emailed transcription forwards. Our staff also create conversation for intra office communications all the time to document timelines and details for reference later if needed. HS has helped us track everything from maintenance service logs to customer complaints and staff schedules.
ConsThis is only a tough question and one I would suggest come first when reviewing since after listing all the things i love and enjoy it helps me block out the uglier bits and pieces.. Besides some of the android app glitches that are more annoying than crisis creating I am still hard pressed to find many cons about using HS this past 2 years. has had a "negative" impact on my work communications besides the timeline busting myself for something
September 10, 2017
Greg H.
Veterinary, 11-50 employees
November 17, 2016

“Completely changed our business - for the better”

OverallMost companies using Help Desk software are in software development, tech or online commerce of some kind. We're in the boring, traditional business of veterinary medicine practice, and deal with hundreds of emails a day from clients and the rest of the outside world. We're the only vet company I know of that uses a help desk, and we use Help Scout - and absolutely LOVE it. We did use Zendesk previously, but found that it's way too complicated and not very personal. Pet owners don't want to be given a ticket # and feel like they're speaking to a robot. Help Scout solved that immediately when we switched. We have a lot of complex conversations via email that require multiple people being involved, communicating internal messages to each other about certain threads, etc. etc. Help Scout is absolutely fantastic, because it's very elegant in it's simplicity - but tremendously powerful in it's capability. On top of that, we've found their support team to be kick ass, highly responsive and always eager to try and figure out a solution to any issue we bring them. We are very loyal Help Scout clients, and plan to be for a long time.
Pros- extremely simple to use and understand as a user - treats communications like human beings and provides a much more personal feel to communication (as opposed to making people feel like numbers) - fantastic support team that's very responsive and solution focused - solid API that allows you to bring in data from other apps so that you have a consolidated view of a client, beyond just their email history
Cons- wish that the interface could be a little more customized for our specific needs - really don't have any downsides to it - it's a great product
Recommendations to other buyersIf you've looked at help desks and felt they were overpowering or too complicated to use, Help Scout is the antidote. Using it is like using an email client, and our clients feel like they're emailing individually to someone as opposed a big team. I love that they do away with the "ticket number" mentality which makes most help desks feel robotic and sterile. We've loved being with Help Scout as the product has gotten even better, and we're grateful for the massive amount of simplicity the product brings to our workflow.
November 17, 2016
Ian S.
February 4, 2015

“An excellent, lightweight, streamlined, modern helpdesk solution”

ProsFirst, Help Scout gets major brownie points for "eating their own dog food" -- they are all about the Customer Experience, and they live up to this philosophy by delivering not only a very easy to use and modern product, but answering support inquiries right away (and thoroughly), and publishing an extremely helpful and insightful industry blog. So when you buy into Help Scout, you're not just getting a great software product, but also getting a great organization running behind it. Aside from that I love how Help Scout does itself in fact deliver a great customer experience to our customers. It gets out of the way. Customers are not aware that we use it, in fact they believe they are emailing directly with me. Transactions are fast and lightweight, there are not many bells and whistles to complicate the process and slow down the support workflow. Help Scout made the hard decision to not allow custom fields on tickets, and while this at first seemed limiting, it has in fact allowed us to handle the ticket queue much more quickly, due to much lower overhead. For delivering quick and helpful email support, I can't imagine a much better way to bullseye the task than using Help Scout. We've been very satisfied with it.
ConsThe Docs section of the product is a little bit underdeveloped, but adequate. It would be nice in that area to have more cohesion the way you'd typically find in a generic content management system (e.g. Wordpress). For instance, currently it isn't possible to move an article from one collection to another -- you have to copy its contents, re-build it on the other side, and delete the original. That is my main complaint. In spite of that we have a full internal and external knowledge base hosted with the Docs feature, and it is adequate for our needs, if not exceptional.
Recommendations to other buyersPay attention to whether the bells and whistles offered by others are really things that you need. We were using Freshdesk before, and while it is a bit of a Swiss Army Knife, we were only using about 1/4 or 1/3 of the features the product offered. Help Scout takes a very different approach -- they've made the product about as light and streamlined as it can be (should be) for most small support operations. Give it a test drive and you'll probably see whether it provides enough meat for your support team or not. For most, it will probably be great.
February 4, 2015
Shaun V.
Senior Manager, Success Engineer
July 13, 2019

“Stellar Support Tool for SaaS companies”

OverallWe support a B2B SaaS platform in the Marketing Automation space and provide email support. Help Scout executes very well against the challenges that we have.
ProsHelp Scout is purpose-built for Support teams which is fantastic. The features, UI, and reporting align closely with how we run our support team which makes things a lot easier. We're big on automation and building on top of our tools and have been very impressed both with the workflow capabilities as well as the API endpoints and integrations that are possible. The team behind Help Scout does a terrific job of supporting us, they have been extremely responsive, down to earth, and accurate in their replies.
ConsTo deliver a really good and consistent experience, the support channels of email, chat, and phone are very discrete and can't be blended as easily together as say a tool like Intercom (where we were coming from). While a short-term pain for us, I think delivering better in each of the channels ultimately made us a more mature team in the end.
July 13, 2019
Jeff B.
Director of Support
February 4, 2017

“Terrific product. Great UI. Does lack on the integrations”

OverallWe've used Help Scout for several years. It's been a great product, really served us well. One of their best features is actually their marketing and weekly (twice a week now?) blog posts on Support, Marketing, and other related fields.
ProsSuper easy UI. I don't have to train newbies on using Help Scout for more than 10-15 minutes. It's that simple to use. VERY customer focused. It's not about a bunch of bells and whistles that are flashy fish hooks only intended to get bought by fishermen but not actually catch fish. Their product signs for the customer and the Support rep in it 8+ hours a day.
ConsThe lack of integrations. They just rolled out with a Salesforce integration, but lack integrations in other areas. Also, they're primarily focused on email so tracking chats and calls aren't that helpful...you would need to drop that data into Redshift, Gooddata, Domo, etc. to get much functionality in it. So unless you do that, you're stuck compiling a bunch in Google Sheets. Caveat: if all you do is email and maybe chat, then this product is everything you need and more.
Recommendations to other buyersDefinitely. Review Zendesk and a couple other offerings, but Help Scout is fantastic for small and medium teams. Where Zendesk shines with their management level controls and granular options, they fail in the actual UI and "using it every day" area. Help Scout is the inverse.
February 4, 2017
Johann K.
Customer Support Specialist
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
August 22, 2019

“The review”

OverallReally nice product for email support teams, but it doesn't do the work for others. I like the goal Help Scout has, but they need to fit to the market before they are dropping out.
ProsIt's your best solution on the market if you are looking to interact with your customers only via email. Really easy to implement and the CS is really helpful too.
ConsIt's really difficult to spice things up for the customer. Limitations are set rather quickly when trying to customize Reports or being proactive with customers.
August 22, 2019
Internet, 201-500 employees
January 27, 2019

“Very nice online customer support service”

OverallI started my career as a support engineer, I used several ticket systems (simple support, kayako, zendesk, some others) and quite familiar with them. When I started to use help scout, I was quite impressed with it. It's very simple, yet it gives the support engineer all the things you need (add comments, canned replies, re-assigning, automatic actions, etc). Also it's very affordable and easy to start using. In fact, when one of my friends asked me for a simple support system, I did recommend him Help Scout. It definitely is better to pay them a small buck, rather than spending your time and effort on purchasing some big system, installing it on your own servers and customising it. There are some minor things that I'd be happy if help scout improve upon, but otherwise I'm very happy with them.
Pros* You can setup online ticket support system for your clients very easy and cheaply * Your support engineers will have everything they need to support your clients effectively * No bloated unnecessary features, only those that you need
Cons* Online mobile version leaves much to be desired * No way to merge several tickets at once * You can't make a note/reply and keep the ticket open, you have to re-open it.
January 27, 2019
Jeff B.
Director of Support
February 6, 2016

“Organization and focus on delivering excellent customer service”

ProsThey are super responsive. They are pretty rad and transparent: if something goes wrong on their end they are not afraid of admitting fault. Which leads me to trusting them because I can believe them. I know that tells you very little of the product, but as leadership that's something that I really need. Other environments-blameshifting-I cannot stand and can't trust, believe, or hope that they'll hold true to their promise. We're leaving another vendor for that reason. Their system is very responsive, quick, simple, and easy to learn. There aren't too many bells and whistles which simplifies my life when onboarding new teammates. Their docs are well written and engaging.
ConsThe vendor is great! I'd say a better or more thorough live chat & phone integration would be great. We communicate with customers via email, phone, live chat, and Twitter. It's hard when all these are fairly decentralized. Help Scout *does* have a live chat integration (which we use) and we can forward VMs to Help Scout (which is great). But if you're looking for tracking call length, live chat length, or some of the other nifty metrics in one central place, you'll need to use Excel or a Google Sheet. Or use everyone's API to feed into your own system.
Recommendations to other buyersTalk with them. They are real people. They'll tell you where they are good and if you need to look elsewhere for what you need. They do email really, really well. I am stoked that we get to use them.
February 6, 2016
May 1, 2018

“We use Help Scout to stay on top of our customer support”

OverallHelp Scout helped us get a handle on our support workflow and as we've added to our support team, it's made that process painless. We use the custom sidebar apps to great effect.
ProsHelp Scout is a focused, straightforward support mailbox product, and we've been using it to great effect since we switched over (from a shared inbox for support) a couple of years ago. We were happy with the pricing, and we use the custom sidebar add-ons to great effect. We've written our own sidebar app that gives our support team access to a ton of useful customer information and error logging without ever leaving the mailbox. When we've dealt with Help Scout support, they've also been great. Help Scout does exactly what we want.
ConsHelp Scout is a relatively slim and focused offering (although they are indeed adding new features all the time) this was actually a *selling point* for us, as we didn't want a super-complex tool for this but I am sure that for some users this could be problematic.
May 1, 2018
December 11, 2018

“Couldn't run my business without it”

OverallFor any business, customer satisfaction is crucial. Help Scout is the tool to make it fun and easy.
ProsAfter having used Zendesk for a while, I was not happy with its and complexity. I wanted to have a support desk tool that made it look like it was regular mail to the customers. And HelpScout did exactly that. After having used the free version for more than 2 years, we are now on the Business plan. It was great that we could have used it without having to spend money on it, but it's soo good that it's definitely worth every penny. The Docs integration is perfect, as we use it in replies to customers, in the beacon for self-help and we now also embed the docs on our website through the API.
ConsIt would be great if we could set a custom threshold for the spam filter, as we have a bit too many false positives.
December 11, 2018
Maurice A M.
Operations Director
January 10, 2019

“Dead Simple to use Help Desk”

OverallOur company uses HelpScout as its internal Help Desk for all of our associate's requests/needs such as equipment request, payroll inquiries, BYOD access, and so. We found HelpScout incredibly useful; it has increased our response time and productivity, and we are starting to build our internal Knowledge Base. Moreover, most importantly, the price is affordable and goes along well our needs.
ProsInitial setup is straightforward. We currently only use the ticketing/email feature in HelpScout, so setup and email configuration were complete in less than 10 minutes. The interface is clean, direct, and getting used to the layout is quick. We have synced our main Mailbox queue to a private channel in Slack, so each time there's a new ticket is sent there, which is beneficial to keep track of incoming tickets. Working with HelpScout is simple and straightforward. Currently, we only use the ticketing feature, and it's been a gratifying experience. All the essentials like adding internal notes, tags, tagging other agents, and replying to customers are there. My favourite feature is the search function, which helps you find that four-week-old ticket you closed a while ago easily just by searching a few keywords that were included in it.
ConsSo far, the only complaint we had was the "next" feature, once you reply to a ticket, the next open ticket assigned to you would pop up immediately, and if you're not careful, you might respond the wrong thing to the customer!
January 10, 2019
Jonathan Z.
Staff Accountant
July 3, 2019

“Good CRM and Customer Care platform for mid-sized businesses”

OverallAmazing, we used Help Scout within the company as an internal customer-care platform and it really paid dividends when it comes to us having great findings with the data we were able to pull off of this great platform, I would really recommend it to be used mainly as a customer care centralized platform, and to accompany it with other online integrations to fully exploit its capabilities.
ProsHelp Scout is a very versatile platform that allows you to ticket any inquiry coming from casual customers or recurrent clients, its mid-range capabilities allow you to create macros, integrate other online-based services, and even keek a good track of your KPIs and basic business statistics for a well-founded decision making process, its pricing is not bad at all, and you can get a lot from its community.
ConsThis platform is not necessarily meant for entry-level customer care, due to the price is not the cheapest, you get a good variety of tools and services you will really want to exploit, so acquiring this service really means a commitment.
July 3, 2019
Jesse B.
QA Team Lead
February 16, 2016

“Help Scout - a help desk that doesn't suck”

ProsFirst of all, Help Scout does exactly what it needs to (facilitate organized, efficient conversations between customers and support people) without getting in the way. The UI is great (especially since 2015) and the workflows are easy to learn and relatively powerful. Keyboard shortcuts are killer. But most of all, I love that Help Scout doesn't feel "heavy" or "dated". It feels modern, fast, and clean. And the support people are just plain awesome. Oh, and did I mention their blog posts?
ConsLike many companies, they had to grow to keep up with their customer base - which is awesome! But some of their new hires weren't the greatest at support (ironic, eh?). Also, they've had a fair share of downtime recently, though they've been excellent at communicating and building confidence even through these rough times.
Recommendations to other buyersBesides making sure that the software you choose has the features you need, I'd recommend just trialing a few solutions and seeing how hard they are to pick up and use. I was able to learn Help Scout in about 15 minutes... can you say the same about another Help Desk? Also look into the KB options (Docs is pretty good, though missing some features I'd like to see) and you'll probably want to use the same solution for both your help desk and KB, since the integrations between the two are essential.
February 16, 2016
April G.
Operations Manager
Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees
April 13, 2019

“Excellent customer service software”

OverallI've used this for customer service for a website development company and a professional women's organization and it's been amazing in both cases! Highly recommended.
ProsBest features are internal notes and custom tags, traffic cop that stops the sending of your message of they've responded since you started writing, undo send, and able to see if surgery team member is working on that email already. Also integrates mailchimp so you can see who is on your mailing list, and subscribe them if not. Automated workflows based on custom parameters are incredibly useful, too!
ConsCould have a more robust Zapier integration.
April 13, 2019
11-50 employees
April 26, 2018

“Like all the other Help Desks, but faster, more focused, and cleaner”

OverallEasy Help Desk software, fully functional with even more bells and whistles, amazing design, and affordable to boot!
ProsHaving used Zendesk for years, I was looking for a alternative option without breaking the bank. Help Scout has all the features i needed for my team, and more. Help Scout looks/feels great. Everything is right where it needs to be. I can quickly show a new employee how to use it in minutes. Zendesk looks like a dinosaur in comparison, and had to train them for a few days before my employees got comfortable.
ConsNot much to dislike. They have a lot of integrations built right in, and zapier fills in the blanks. The only thing I wish I had was the custom fields, which is in the PLUS feature, and I'd have to pay a bit more money for it. But can't complain about that.
April 26, 2018
Lucas K.
February 1, 2017

“Easy to use, flexible, and great support”

OverallWe've been using Help Scout for ticket management for about three years. Prior to Help Scout we had used several others, most notably Zendesk. We found that Help Scout was the easiest for our team to use, while still providing a good set of features for customization. The support team at Help Scout has been fantastic as well; they've been very receptive to feature suggestions, quick to resolve what few issues we've encountered, and every contact with them has been a great experience. That last part is important; I personally deal with the support teams of a dozen or so vendors on a regular basis and sometimes the lack of attention to detail and reading comprehension in level 1 support is astounding. Very refreshing!
ProsEasy to use.
ConsNo android app, but the web app is still quite functional on a small screen.
February 1, 2017
Carl N.
December 7, 2016

“Best Customer Support Software with the Best Customer Support”

OverallHaving tried or reviewed every customer support solution we could find, we have found Help Scout to be the best solution because of it being as simple to use as regular email, yet powerful enough to handle all of our company's communication. Help Scout is the key tool we use in our web development and hosting business, handling all of our client communication and allowing us to easily discuss requests internally, pass around messages, and provide quicker response times to our clients while making our lives easier. Additionally, the customer support Help Scout provides is the best we've ever seen. They are super friendly, very quick to respond, and understand requests the first time. They are the model for customer support, and they even blog regularly about how to provide great customer support with very useful tips.
December 7, 2016
Moses Z.
Associate
May 4, 2018

“Best ticketing tool out there!”

OverallSpeedy communication with clients, great reports to categorize the requests that come in, very to near flawless functionality, and rarely an issue with Help Scout.
ProsEasy to manage accounts, great for keeping records of a clients request, real-time request, great reports, easy to use and adapt. Honestly, I would recommend Help Scout, is a great ticking tool that has helped me reach-out to clients and keep communication rolling with them efficiently.
ConsI like the software when used on a computer, but the app for a mobile device does lack functionality. I would like to have the same options as I have on the computer. I don't want to be completely demanding so I won't request the high-end gadgets, but the option to see whos working on a ticket on the app will help a lot.
May 4, 2018
Carrie S.
Virtual Assistant
Management Consulting, Self-employed
June 5, 2018

“I currently use Help Scout with a client and it is a great tool for staying connected and helping each other respond more quickly to her clients. Really neat software.”

Pros1. The number 1 thing I love is that emails are "closed" once they are responded to. When I'm in my own email, I have a tendency to never delete messages. Then I think I need to sort into folders and so on, but that's a waste of time and messy. Help Scout automatically closes them when you've responded to it. But you can still search for it and find it. It's perfect! I get Zero in-box with Help Scout! 2. I also like that you can tag people (reassign) so my client can assign emails to me that she wants me to handle. 3. You can tag the emails, so once a week, she can go in and find a certain type of message to work on those all together. 4. You can write a common response and then save it to be reused. 5. You can write notes within message and tag the team member who you want to see the note, but the original sender of the message doesn't see the note.
ConsI found it confusing at first because I didn't know where the closed messages were going, and I was nervous about closing messages, that they would disappear. But it just took some learning. My client who added me to her account was able to show me how it works. I'm not sure what the Help Scout training is like.
June 5, 2018
Ashlee B.
Special Project Coordinator
11-50 employees
January 28, 2018

“The best help desk experience I've ever had”

ProsThe customer support is phenomenal! The Help Scout team is personal, friendly, and fun- a pleasure to interact with any time I get the chance. But because the software is so seamless on its own, a rarely have to reach out for support. I most appreciate the reporting features that show conversation rates and customer happiness.
ConsI would like to be able to export a list of customers I have spoke with over a set time period, so I would be able to automate outreach and followup. As of now, there is no established way to export lists or data.
January 28, 2018
Tessa A.
Customer Support Trainer
Retail, 51-200 employees
April 19, 2017

“Awesome Bonus--Help Scout's Email Newsletter!”

OverallHelp Scout is easy to use, has some great metrics, makes organization a breeze, and allows companies to standardize email responses. But in all honesty, my favorite thing about Help Scout is the weekly newsletter they send out via email. It may be more or less often than weekly, I'm not entirely sure; however, I just love it! I almost always read the entire thing. It focuses on one topic, it's always helpful, and it's often strangely timely so far as what's going on in my professional and/or personal life. I've found it really useful. Indeed, two Christmases ago, my list included multiple items I learned about one of Help Scout's newsletters!
ProsThe email newsletter.
ConsHow sometimes emails end up being responded to by multiple agents because they aren't automatically closed out.
Recommendations to other buyersNone I can think of at this time.
April 19, 2017
Dave Z.
Principal/Owner
June 11, 2018

“Keeps our customer support organized and on task ”

ProsA clean UI that has obviously been well thought through. They iterate and add features routinely and are very proactive in communicating with their customers. For example, I had discovered a bug, which they confirmed and rolled out a fix within 48 hours. There are small reminders and tips presented within the context of the app, which are very helpful (eg. helping the user in distinguishing between an internal comment and a customer reply - this is very useful). Overall, there is great value for the money, I would strongly recommend Help Scout as a help desk/customer facing communication tool.
ConsIMAP integration for outgoing e-mail archiving would be highly valued. Only Gmail is supported at this time.
Melissa B.
CS Manager
January 13, 2018

“Love Help Scout”

ProsI love all of the features that Help Scout offers. We're a growing CS department and it's scaled with us quite nicely. Our Developers are able to customize is for us and it's quite easy to use.
ConsThere are only a few things I don't like about HS. The main thing is that it would be nice to make article formatting easier to use with out HTML. And, it would awesome if they implemented a live chat feature, so we didn't have to use Intercom in addition to HS.
January 13, 2018
Daniel H.
Operations/Support Manager
March 3, 2016

“Our company has been using Help Scout for a little over a year now.”

OverallWe are a small business that has been steadily growing over the past two years. We began searching for a unified help desk service about 18 months ago. We tried another service first but found the cost and initial setup too daunting. We began a trial of Help Scout shortly thereafter. During our trial the Help Scout staff was eager and willing to offer assistance but I never felt pressured into committing to anything until I knew it was the right service for our company. They even extended our trial by two weeks because I had been so busy with other things I hadn't had enough time to test it out. In the beginning we only used the service to handle our e-mail and fax business. The fact that Help Scout integrates with our phone/fax service as well as our live chat service is awesome! Over the course of the next year we began utilizing more and more of the services and features Help Scout offered. We have found that the company has always been quick to respond when we had a question or needed assistance and was very open to any ideas or features we would like to see. They have implemented new features that have been invaluable in our day to day operations. We found the pricing structure to be very fair and flexible to suit our needs. The initial setup was very intuitive and only took a few hours before all of our services were up and running. I never felt pressured into paying for any services we didn't need. Overall we have been very happy with their flexibility and willingness to offer assistance when needed. We've very excited to try out some of the new features just implemented in the Help Scout Plus service and appreciate the offer to test it out before we commit to upgrading. Very happy customer!
March 3, 2016
Brad B.
Technical Support Manager
December 3, 2018

“Help Scout - The solution we were looking for! ”

OverallHelp Scout is easy to use, appealing, and very effective. There is always a feature to accommodate our needs.
ProsHelp Scout is so user friendly! In the past, we tried several ticketing systems but they didn't seem to fit in with our flow and organization. We heard about Help Scout, tried it, and simply fell in love! Help Scout is so easy to use and work together as a team.
ConsThe one thing I would really like to see in Help Scout is a Round Robin auto-assignment feature. You can do quite a bit with workflows but I wish there was a simple way to Round Robin auto-assign our incoming tickets.
December 3, 2018
Lindsey H.
Student Coach
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
October 18, 2017

“Powerful and Easy to Use!”

OverallEase of use, overview of mailboxes and emails, time-saving shortcuts
ProsLove seeing all message threads with the contact to the right when an email is open Like being able to star certain boxes so they show up first Love being able to have stored replies Like being able to keep notes that you can see at a glance upon opening an email
ConsDon't like that it sometimes takes a bit for the numbers to refresh in mailboxes, from time to time. Don't like that you can't order or resize the starred mailboxes Don't like that multiple addresses for the same person aren't flagged somehow
October 18, 2017
Dustin D.
Consumer Services, 51-200 employees
February 5, 2017

“Help Scout is fantastic”

OverallBeen using Help Scout for years. The main reason I went with them over others was the still small business feel you can give your customers even with dozens of employees being involved in customer interaction. The tickets are silent to the customer, unlike many other products which a customer is nothing more than a ticket.
Pros- Easy interface - Lower learning curve - Continually improving - Good customer support - All cloud based
Cons- Per-user costs can add up
Recommendations to other buyersI recommend you try it, it's a great product.
February 5, 2017
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
April 10, 2018

“Help Scout is the best customer service management software out there. ”

OverallHelp Scout is the best way to manage client communications. It is efficient and intuitive, saving my team time and keep our communications organized.
ProsHelp Scout allows my team to handle client requests collaboratively and efficiently. The UI makes it easy to view my pending cases, as well as my teammate's cases making it easy to take it over if someone is out of the office.
ConsI have no cons for Help Scout. All the features and functionality was incredibly well thought out, and it is amazing how helpful it has been for my team.
April 10, 2018
Matthew S.
Happiness Engineer
September 7, 2015

“Makes life SO much easier”

OverallHelpScout has become an essential, can't-do-without part of my workday with how savvy and helpful it is in organizing contact with our customers and giving us a handy module for FAQs to boot.
Pros- Keeping un-answered emails bolded even after you've read it once, - "Traffic Cop" for keeping egg off your face in case you send an email before reading a follow-up email from the customer - Intuitive inbox and Doc-editing interfaces - Ability to tag email addresses and assign conversations to a particular team member - "Show original" option to see the email in its original formatting, in case HelpScout's interface isn't able to accommodate - Quick customer service response times, to fix problems in a pinch - about 20 other things :-)
ConsPretty minor, really: - Sometimes the inbox counts don't always update automatically (between 30 seconds and a few mins, depending on the day) - I honestly can't think of any others (seriously, it's that good)
September 7, 2015
April 15, 2019

“Help Scout for Customer Support”

OverallOverall we have had a good experience but I do think we have outgrown Help Scout as our company grows and other departments need visibility into Support data.
ProsExtremely intuitive and easy to use. Learning to use Help Scout takes very little time at all. I enjoy the overall UI and simplicity.
ConsReporting. As my company grows we have found that the reporting isn't as robust as we would like. It is pretty difficult to gain insight on particular customers who are reaching out and volume per account.
April 15, 2019
Consumer Services, 11-50 employees
September 25, 2018

“Useful tool for managing customer communication”

ProsI liked the ability to create complex rule sets that auto-filter certain types of conversations to appropriate mailboxes. Without this, there would be a lot of noise experienced by our various internal users
ConsNot significant, but would be great if users were given a more expansive toolkit for editing copy (fonts, sizes, etc).
September 25, 2018
Apparel & Fashion, 11-50 employees
June 11, 2018

“Great way to organize customer interactions”

ProsThis was the first customer service software we used as a team and it is really solid for being able to connect with customers through multiple points of contacts.
ConsI really wish we could connect the entire customer journey within helpscout, it would allow our team to be more informed when dealing with customers.
Lynn T.
April 22, 2018

“Help desk software works seamlessly with email for customer convenience”

ProsIt's very easy to keep up with support and help co-workers with tickets. It's easy to update the status and make sure nothing is falling through the cracks. The integrated docs is great for looking up error codes or messages.
ConsIf customers respond to an email and reply with comments 'inline' with the original response, their comments get stripped out. And when customers paste images inline with their text it's hard to follow which attachments are associated with each comment.
April 22, 2018
Fabio M.
Co-Founder
August 1, 2018

“It makes customer service that much easier”

Overallease of use, improved customer support, great feedback from cusomters
Prosease of use, works on mobile, customer support. Overall it helps me stay on top of all our customer requests.
ConsNone! There is not a lot to say here. My only gripe was before there was no mobile app but now there is and its brilliant
August 1, 2018
Rob C.
Ambassador & Founder
Media Production, 1-10 employees
August 30, 2015

“Simple & cost effective for small team support”

OverallWe were struggling to ensure all our customer support emails were replied to in a timely manner and often we were missing replies or getting confused when multiple employees needed to handle the support. I tried a few different systems and they were either bolted on to Gmail, which got confusing or overly complicated for a small team. Finding Helpscout was a breath of fresh air. The web app was simple to setup and immediately it made sense with features that gave us the power to ensure we were giving our customers the best service possible.
Pros* Simple to use with powerful features available if you need them * Great documentation so little or no training needed for new staff * Customer service from helpscout is brilliant with quick and helpful responses * Two favourite features - 1) the ease with which you can move assign conversations back and forward between staff members 2) Save replies - saves so much time!
Cons* A mobile app or mobile optimised web app is really needed
August 30, 2015
Mark S.
Senior Engineer
Computer Networking, 1-10 employees
February 25, 2019

“We Use Help Scout for managing our IT calls”

Pros-Ease of use. -It helps keep all of our service calls in one place
Cons-Since we are using it for service calls and not for help desk, it doesn't do all the things we would like it to do. It would be great if you could create forms that you could fill out.
February 25, 2019
1001-5000 employees
March 7, 2018

“Help Scout has helped us feel like experts in customer service because we can offer help quickly. ”

ProsImplementation in our business was very easy because the compatibility testing is all done in the background. As a help desk software, Help Scout is at the top of the list when it comes to implemention & integration.
ConsSometimes it becomes evident the network struggles but rarely is it ever an issue. Additionally, many features feel pulled directly from other help desk softwares, but the features that set it apart are still present.
March 7, 2018
Sue Q.
Customer Success Director
July 14, 2017

“Easy to use”

OverallOverall great. Would recommend to others.
ProsGreat reporting options Easy to use Awesome customer support team Great search options Easy to set up
ConsTheir help docs are often outdated. Also some of the features that stated were included ended up having a extra monthly charge.
July 14, 2017
Nina W.
Home Services
Real Estate, 201-500 employees
January 2, 2019

“Help Scout Helps”

OverallEach of our departments have their own helpscout. This is where we can all work from, pull from, and even look back on past items just by searching for that home.
ProsI like how it is like an email box that everyone in that department has access to.
ConsAt first it takes time to learn. I didn't like closing something out because I didn't want others to miss it. So I started leaving those pending.
January 2, 2019
Chelsea M.
Scribe Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees
February 26, 2018

“Help me Help Scout! ”

OverallAll of them, to be quite honest!
ProsAs a small startup I have been doing support from my email inbox for a long time. Help Scout has saved me from this! I can now search through support requests and understand the metrics/ trends behind them.
ConsI would like to see more in terms of visualization. You can tag certain requests with things, but I wish this process was more automated.
February 26, 2018
Rocky K.
lead
October 3, 2017

“Help Scout does one thing really really great”

OverallEase.
ProsIt was incredibly easy to set up. We migrated out of Zendesk to use Help Scout, and my team's eyes lit up from how intuitive it is to use. I even had non-coders building workflows to make email management easier. The best is when I asked their support about integrations and other fancy- and they told me that it's not in their vision. They want to build the best email support desk, period. And it's really really good!
ConsThere's a lot of integrations that aren't built in. Which, it's not a game breaker. Do you REALLY need your toaster talking to Help Scout?
October 3, 2017
Brad M.
Director Customer Service
December 9, 2015

“Does everything we need regarding tracking of Customer Service communication”

Overall I am sure we use Help Scout in a different way than most. We are not a 'call center' or even 'customer service center' in the true sense. We are the Technical Support department of a Medical Device company and use Help Scout to track not only emails to/from our International Distributors service organizations, but also voice mails from our U.S. customers. As voice mails are left, no it is not acceptable but unfortunately necessary evil at times, an email is also generated and put into the specific mailbox. Not only does this allow us maximum visibility, I can run reports monthly showing number of voice mails left and especially how soon they were answered. Metrics I use monthly and share with senior staff. The only thing that would really be beneficial to me would be the ability to export reports into Excel, or even as CSV. The reports are already very easy to use and gives all the information required. It is just sometimes I would appreciate the ability to modify and drill down even further, even create a pivot table, using the data available. Help Scout is always quick with a response and assistance. Any time we have had issues, or even questions or feature requests we receive the answer. In conclusion, Help Scout has helped us help our customers in a better and more efficient way. That is all I can ask. Well, and the reports exported to Excel !! :)
December 9, 2015
Margaret S.
Hobby Blogger/Vlogger
April 20, 2018

“Simple and Easy To Use!”

ProsI love the assign options and leaving notes to your teammate. It is pretty easy to use and this is our first helpdesk software on our team. Definitely not thinking of switching to others so far.
ConsThe merge option needs some update. It is quite confusing at some point especially when you are handling a lot of support emails.
April 20, 2018
Larissa A.
Growth Team Associate
E-Learning, 11-50 employees
January 11, 2018

“Everyday use for support of prospective users on an educational website. ”

OverallAn easy, quick way to provide support for all prospective students who come to us wanting information on our product.
ProsIts User Interface, it is extremely simple and friendly. It's also fun, the little messages whenever you have a clean folder is always a great pick me up throughout the day.
ConsIts search engine, when trying to pinpoint specific tickets with certain filters, the filters sometimes do not work and fail to give a filtered search that's helpful towards finding context on a specific issue that's been handled before.
January 11, 2018
Jedd C.
Director of Creative Solutions and Communication
December 18, 2015

“A Customer Service Team's Best Friend”

OverallPROS: - Simple and effective customer service tool for multiple users managing one email address/inbox - The "notes" system allows for team members to provide feedback and support to another team member responding to a client's needs without the client seeing this conversation. - Great open integration with other project management tools and applications - Simple, clean design. No distracting interface. CONS: - No real-time chat feature with other team members (notes works well but it would be great to chat with another team member, and capture this conversation without using a separate messaging client like SLACK). - Not a CRM. You can connect to a CRM but the information that can be captured, shown, and note taking ability about each client is very, very limited. - No dedicated mobile app support for smartphones or tablets. Help Scout is a simple and effective tool for a team to manage one email address/inbox. With the ability to collaborate and have conversations with other team members about emails without the client knowing is it's best feature. Not to mention but their team and service is outstanding (as you would expect) and they are constantly looking for ways to improve. Whether you are a small organization or large business, if you providing customer service or assistance and have multiple team members, you should be using Help Scout.
December 18, 2015
Nina V.
Retail, Unspecified
February 21, 2015

“Help Scout saves time and money!”

ProsHelp Scout makes lost messages a thing of the past. We frequently forgot to mark messages unread when they were not dealt with and lost track of customer issues because of it. We love the assigned messages option and being able to maintain multiple users at one email address.
ConsWould love to see a mobile app - I could definitely be much more productive if I didn't have to always have a computer to help customers or 'close' junk emails.
Recommendations to other buyersFree trials exist for a reason. If you're not sure, try it! And try the others too! We tried a few other programs prior to Help Scout, both paid and free. One particular program had too many bells and whistles. It was a distracting layout and not user-friendly. Help Scout is the opposite of that. The plain layout helps to keep you focused on the task at hand, increasing productivity and leaving more time for additional tasks.
February 21, 2015
November 15, 2018

“Delivers”

Pros- Communication feels natural, with no need for "tickets" - Very simple to use, regarding both Mailbox and Docs
Cons- Embedded Docs is limited and does not support the same styling options as the microsite version - Having to pay an extra for the new Beacon 2.0 when the former Beacon was included in the plan
November 15, 2018
Mark L.
Marketing Strategist
July 22, 2018

“Effective basic help desk software”

ProsWe don't have a complicated support team/process, and Helpscout has done the job for us. I love the templates feature (though I'm sure that's standard amongst competitors). I am not wow'd by it, but I appreciate software that does what it says it will do, and Helpscout does that. I would strongly recommend it to anyone with relatively basic support requirements, only because I haven't seen in action with teams of more than 3, or for teams that require deeper analytics.
ConsThey are working on a live chat feature, that will be nice when it launches. Using a separate tool for live chat is a little annoying, and I'd like to integrate it and track it alongside of email support.
July 22, 2018
Internet, 11-50 employees
November 28, 2018

“Great For Keeping Track Of Emails!”

ProsI love that multiple people have access to the same group and can work on the load of emails. It is a great way to team up and tackle those large inboxes.
ConsAt times, I have to refresh the site a couple times to clear out the inbox after I have closed all of the different emails.
November 28, 2018