Bench Ratings

Overall

About Bench

Bench is for small business owners who don't have the time to do their own bookkeeping. Every month, Bench turns your data into tax-ready financial statements. You can monitor your business's financial health, download your financial statements, and chat with your team any time via the Bench app. And at the end of the year, Bench provides you with everything you (or your CPA) will need to file your taxes. Learn more about Bench

April 29, 2019

“Makes My Life as a Small Business Owner So Much Easier”

OverallI started my graphic design studio in 2005 managing our books through a part-time bookkeeper who'd come in 1-2x a month and we'd then communicate a few times every week.. This system got us through the first 8 years of our business. Though functional, it was a time-consuming process. We used Quickbooks at the time, and I could never get comfortable using it to manage or understand our business's numbers even though our bookkeeper was serving it on a silver platter essentially. I've always felt Quickbooks was made for accountants, not business owners or individuals. Once can argue, it's supposed to be "accounting made easy", but it's really designed with accounting in mind - not business owners. As a business owner I wanted to quickly understand cashflow and profitability. Whereas Quickbooks seemed to that and much more, it seemed like I was doing my taxes every time I went in there. So I started looking for options and that's when I found Bench. And Bench, even back then, had already provided a service ideal for a small business owner like me. I've been using Bench since 2013 now, and I can't imagine running my business without them. It's allowed me to focus on my clients and design work which are revenue generating tasks, instead of accounting which was an anxiety-generating task.
Pros1) Uncomplicated Interface - For a non-numbers/non-accounting comfortable individual it's great. It provides me access and understanding to our accounting in a very digestible yet informative manner. 2) Accessible Customer Service/Communications - All the interactions I've had have been professional, courteous, and problem solving driven. It's never "No". Instead if a challenge arises, they've always been proactive in finding a way to address the challenge or question providing options. It's also especially great that you can speak with them or chat with them with no barriers. At first I was very concerned about this since our books are the heartbeat of our financials, and i was quickly at ease after the first few calls and chats. 3) Easy - Once our accounts were synced and Bench had a clear picture of how our business worked, it's set-it-and-forget-it. What used to required a few hours every week for me now has become an hour or two a month. 4) Transaction Verification Made Easy - I especially love how they've simplified this process to almost a game.
Cons1) Cash based bookkeeping. This was a struggle in the beginning since we were accrual based initially. However upon working with them and our CPA, we've managed to stay accrual based and set up a system where we do adjusted entries after filing taxes. 2) Not Quickbooks. This is not really a con, but should make it clear that if you prefer to stay on Quickbooks, this is not the service for you. They will provide your books as spreadsheets for your CPA to work with. At first I was nervous about this, but it hasn't been an issue. 3) Turnover with bookkeepers - Over the years, we've had I believe 5 different bookkeepers over the course of 6 years due to turnover or what seems to be internal promotions. It has not negatively impacted our service, but I do wish it was less frequent since at times I'd have to remind the new person some of the subtleties of our account.
Albert R.
Consumer Services, Self-employed
April 29, 2019

“Exceptional Services for Small Businesses”

OverallBench executives should develop the bookkeeping platform further to include items that allow the end user to have a total experience. I understand that the goal is to lead bookkeeping into full tech. However, I feel that users want some form of one-on-one service where they are able to meet and greet their bookkeeping expert. What I have experienced with Bench thus far are a series of glitches when adding accounts, not being able to delete accounts, and occasionally having to repeat myself when discussing issues with numerous customer support staff members that are not apart of my bookkeeping team. I feel that by establishing a video conferencing feature to the dashboard, it would be a brilliant opportunity for us, end users, to get to know their experts and to limit any inconsistencies while providing a more personal experience.
ProsBench has done a great job of placing most items one would require into a dashboard that makes the bookkeeping experience simple. Customer service at Bench is by far the best in the market! Staff at the company truly believe in the product and provide the end user with an exceptional experience each and every call.
ConsPlatform errors and the lack of additional features.
Chris S.
Photography, 1-10 employees
February 20, 2019

“Outsourcing to Bench was a Gamechanger”

OverallAs a small business we're constantly prioritizing big time spends and deciding what's worth us outsourcing and spending money on rather than time. Bench was one that, as soon as we were set up and going with them, we've never looked back. It is not cheap. But it's worth it for us, no question about it!
ProsWe've been using Bench for a few years now and absolutely love it. It can be basically as hand's off as you want. We get an email once a month when they're working on our books, sometimes an extra contact here and there if they provide other documentation throughout the year. And we have our CPA and Bench people in touch with each other which is even more off our plate. As small business owners, bookkeeping used to take a ton of our time, and now it's a breeze. And logging into our account we can look around at where our money is going with a quick glance
ConsI admit we haven't done a ton of digging around in the actual software - our typical use is them contacting us with any categorization questions once a month (and after a couple years there are hardly ever any). I do wish (or can not find how) we could see how much money we're paying/spending on a particular item. So, say, I want to see how much we're spending on just Facebook ads. What I can do is search for "facebook" (and I can specifically search within whatever time period I want, like Q4 2018 or January 2017), but it won't automatically give me a sum of all of those expenses. I CAN see a summary of expenses by category, but by "line item" (like "Facebook" or "AWS") would be even more helpful.
February 20, 2019
Brent W.
Financial Planner
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
August 20, 2019

“A great value of service for taking care of bookkeeping”

OverallGreat experience and helpful service. Awesome value since an in-person CPA would be double the cost. Bench was especially around tax time when it comes to working with me to get my numbers buttoned up.
ProsThe iOS app is simple and easy to use. I appreciate the quick access to messaging back and forth with my bookkeeper, making notes about transactions, and they referred me to Gusto for an integrated payroll service
ConsSome of the features like their Pulse tab of real time bank account syncing and electronic PDF statement syncing are glitchy.
Jon C.
Restaurants, 1-10 employees

“Bench Works! ”

OverallOverall, I recommend bench to everyone. They do have their shortcomings, but in my experience it can be fixed by not giving so many clients to one person. My current bookkeeper is great and very prompt on delivering my books each month. I hope she sticks around. YMMV, but keep with it, bench is the best out there.
ProsMy QuickBooks was a mess. I had brought in duplicate transactions from syncing with square and I was going to need to manually adjust thousands of items. Then I found bench! The bookkeepers are relatively easy to get in touch with when you have an issue; you can book a call, chat, etc. Come tax time the year end summary they put together was amazing. It made filing taxes very easy.
ConsThe bookkeepers are spread very thin, and turnover is high. I've been with them a little over a year and I've had 3 different bookkeepers. I had to complain about one of them because he wasn't giving me a complete set of books each month. (They ended up giving a month free while they caught up my books.) It costs much much more than QuickBooks and doing it yourself, and you do have someone knowledgeable doing the work, but all than means nothing if your books are fragmented.
Jean W.
CFO
Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees
April 29, 2019

“Best Web-based/Remote Bookkeeping Full-Services ”

OverallGreat experience, we've been with them for 2 years now and we will not switch to anything else!
ProsExtremely professional bookkeepers, easy to use user interface and 100% hands-free. They even have auto-linked bank accounts to pull your bank statements so you don't have to manually send receipts and statements. You can view your dashboard anytime and see live updates on your balance sheet. My CPA loves their books as well.
ConsSometimes the connection might be off and I'll have to upload documents anyways, and they'll still need my input for returning vendors/suppliers.
Patricia B.
Business Owner
Arts and Crafts, Self-employed
May 4, 2019

“Excellent Solution for Tracking Business Expenses”

OverallBench has set my mind at ease that all of my business costs and expenditures are being accounted for successfully and tracked.
ProsVery easy to use . This product has been very useful for me to track all business expenses and have all of the required audits of my accounts while also producing annual earnings reports. Very professional.
ConsIt would be nice if the system was able to read the memos for checks written to determine the purpose for the expenditure rather than the business owner having to review each check and identify its purpose for the business.
May 4, 2019
Sunghoon K.
Education Management, 1-10 employees

“convenient and accessible”

OverallWith bench.co I've been able to see in real-time our financial statements without having to ruffle through paperwork or calling someone/visiting an office. I would highly recommend this service to any small business owner.
ProsBench.co has literally changed the way I operate my organization & school. Whereas in the past we'd have to wait, and work around local accountants who had 100's of clients in queue, Bench allows me the convenience and access to my virtual accountant 24/7 online and poignantly clear on all aspects of bookkeeping.
ConsAs with all software based services, sometimes Bench can lag in their monthly accounts at the beginning of the new year. This is a very minor inconvenience to the overall experience.
Susan S.
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees

“Great bookkeeping company”

OverallOverall Bench has saved me time with preparing all bank reconciliations and year end tax preparation. It's also a stress relief that it's done thoroughly and properly. It's not just one person being accountable for my bookkeeping needs but the company stands behind it.
ProsI like the ease of having my bookkeeping done on a timely basis and not having to think about it until I get a message to review the month. I can then easily go in and make notes of any changes to be made or answer their questions to me. The customer service is excellent as well. They integrate with my payroll company too which saves time.
ConsThey don't integrate with my Customer Management System and they don't use QuickBooks which I also use. I process invoices through my CMS which also provides my scheduling, customer profiles, employee payroll reports, etc. I would love it if Bench would integrate their system to it so I can better track invoices. Instead I have to do that through QuickBooks but am only using a small portion of what QB offers since Bench does my bank reconciliation and they don't use QB. So I'm still paying for QB for this part of what I need. I have a daily service company and I process client credit cards daily in addition to tracking some clients that still write checks and a few who pay via ACH. I do that within QB. At this point I'm not aware of a better way if I want to continue using Bench for bookkeeping.
Erik F.
Executive Director
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
April 29, 2019

“Completely alleviated stress while reducing my bookkeeping costs”

OverallWhen I first heard about Bench, I was nervous about switching from a standard, old school accounting firm I'd worked with for many years. Within a week, my fears were dissipating. Three years later, my fears are completely gone. Bench completely meets my needs as a small business owner - while saving me time and money.
ProsBench is SIMPLE. The software provides me an accurate and easy to understand overview of my monthly and annual financials with easy-to- process visuals and graphs. The software integrates automatically with my bank and credit card, alleviating the back and forth calls and emails I used to labor through with my former "brick and mortar" accountants. When I have a question, the Bench team is always available and quick to respond.
ConsNada! No complaints here! I have not experienced a single problem with the Bench software
Pat W.
Member Lawyer
Law Practice, 1-10 employees
June 3, 2019

“Ditched Quickbooks and saved a lot of time”

OverallI am spending a lot less time on bookkeeping and accounting.
ProsVery easy implementation - love the human support on closing the books each month.
ConsNot all of my business accounts can be connected via feed (ie intuit payroll), which requires a drag and drop upload each month.
June 3, 2019
Missy H.
Founder & CEO
Alternative Medicine, Self-employed
April 29, 2019

“Takes the hassle work out of financial reporting ”

OverallOverall Bench has helped me to track and monitor my business financials. Tax seasons has been a breeze the last two years with Bench - something a lot of freelancers struggle with.
Pros- no need to use quickbooks - friendly and responsive staff when issues arise - individual bookkeeper assigned to your account - user interface is friendly and accessible - reporting features are solid - costs less than hiring your own bookkeeper - affordable rates which are advantageous for small businesses
Cons- auto syncing does not connect w Capital One bak accounts which results oftentimes a 2-3 week lag in getting monthly reports back - only retrospective reporting; no prospective budgeting features (need to use separate software) - does not provide tax accounting services; only bookkeeping - cannot easily customize revenue subledgers without discussing w accountant - no categories of fixed/variable expenses - cannot upload documents via mobile devices
Christina G.
Photography, Self-employed

“Seamless Bookkeeping”

OverallMy experience has been overall positive! My bookkeeper is there when I need him and always professional and friendly!
ProsSimply put, Bench took a headache away and made managing my bookkeeping easy and seamless. It also encourages me to be more aware of receivables and expenses + I really appreciate that I can check my books at any time, day or night. The overall look of the site is clean and approachable, and the interface is simple.
ConsA few times my bank accounts have come "unlinked" somehow and I've had to go back in and link them.

By Bench Accounting on August 21, 2019
Hi Christina! Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us! We've passed this along to your bookkeeping team, and I know they will be thrilled to hear this!
Patrick M.
April 6, 2018

“Awesome tool, great customer service, and affordable!”

ProsWhat I love the most is the customer service. Despite this being a "bookkeeping software/tool", you get a dedicated accountant. Executives are so responsive. Every time I have a question, I get a response that same day. The platform is also easy to use, and the interface makes it really easy to upload documents, download reports, etc. Really recommend!
ConsOne small issue is the capabilities. If you have highly complex bookkeeping needs (a unique situation or business model), this may not work for you. This doesn't matter for 99% of businesses.

By Bench Accounting on April 9, 2018
Hi Patrick - This is so lovely to hear! We're so glad we've been able to help take bookkeeping off of your plate. I've passed this on to Michael and your team, and you've made their day. - SP
April 6, 2018
Kirk W.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
April 30, 2019

“It's like having a personal bookkeeper at a much lower cost.”

OverallWe save a considerable amount of money over brick-and-mortar services and save a huge amount of time by not trying to do this ourselves with Quick Books or similar software.
ProsValue. They provide services like a personal bookkeeping company. Very helpful and quick response.
ConsNothing comes to mind. We've been very happy with it.
Jocelyn K.
April 29, 2019

“Bench Makes Running a Small Company a Breeze!”

OverallBench has made accounting for our small business so simple. I struggled with other software that had clunky user interfaces (Quickbooks) and a steep learning curve, I needed something that could ensure that my business accounting would be accurate and up to date without it eating all of my time. Our Bench bookkeepers have all been wonderful - they're fast to respond, give good information and work really well with our accountant. Taxes were a breeze this year after a full year with Bench! I have recommend them to other small business owners and urge you to try them out. You'll wonder what you ever did without them.
ProsBench makes work simple. The interface is very user friendly and instinctive, reports are clear and accurate. Our accountant can log in easily and the customer service is stellar.
ConsThere is literally nothing I don't like about Bench.
Hospitality, Self-employed
April 29, 2019

“Must Have for Small Business Owner”

OverallWhat I love is that I don't have to enter a thing! Doing the books was not only frustrating, but also time consuming. Having Bench on my side means I can focus on building and growing my business, knowing that the data that drives my decisions is solid!
ProsBench isn't a software. It's a team of people USING a dedicated software platform to help you manage your books. This has made all the difference for me in my business. Other accounting programs didn't teach me how to manage my books or read my monthly reports. My dedicated Bench bookkeeper answers my questions, provides me resources and is a partner in helping me understand my business finances to make better decisions. If you are a small business owner who is great with customers, but bad with books...this is your solution. Stop trying to figure it all out yourself. Call Bench and get a dedicated human to help you out! You won't be disappointed!
ConsAfter being on such robust software platform, I miss some of the bells and whistles those packages came with. But, Bench doesn't need all that. It's intuitive and focuses on the financial reports you need to make the best decisions for your business. You may have to look outside the platform to track some of your KPI's.
October 5, 2017

“No more all-nighters at tax time! Easy to use, great support team, no more headaches.”

ProsThe interface is clean and easy. Submitting expenses is easy and in most cases automated. My team, led by customer rep, is very responsive.
ConsThe only thing and I'm splitting hairs is that for more detailed ecommerce analytics, I need to either go to my ecommerce platform and/or pull other data for company performance. It would be helpful to be in one place. But that's a tall order for the great Bench price.

By Bench Accounting on October 6, 2017
Thank you for the review! We're excited to hear your books are no longer keeping you up at night. I've passed along your feedback regarding ecommerce analytics to our development team as well. - SP
October 5, 2017
Danny S.
Business Owner
Financial Services, Self-employed

“Game Changer!”

ProsI love that I don't ever have to worry about saving receipts & it has taught me to even be more organized!
ConsHonestly I don't have any negatives on this.
Adam B.
Realtor/Investor
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
August 20, 2019

“Bench is the best option for all your bookkeeping needs”

Pros1. Easy to use 2. Does not take too much time 3. Affordable
ConsThere are no cons. I love this product and all that if offers.

By Bench Accounting on August 21, 2019
Hi Adam! Thanks for sharing this positive feedbackwe're over the moon hearing this! We can't wait to pass this on to your bookkeeping teamthey're going to be super excited. Thanks for being with us!
Akande D.
Marketing Communications Specialist
Consumer Goods, 1001-5000 employees
July 25, 2019

“Bench is a great platform for small business finance”

ProsWhat I really loved about this platform is that you get an assigned account supervisor to help you through the setup process and using Bench. They help you identify expenses and what they should be looking for and will even do back accounting if you really need it (I did!). Overall a very cool platform and a good experience.
ConsBench is not a CPA platform, they are a bookkeeper platform. I was a little bit confused about the difference at first, but after they made it clear the scope of their services, I felt more comfortable with the company as a whole. It's not a negative, but something to be mindful of.
July 25, 2019
Internet, 1-10 employees
May 20, 2019

“Quick to get started!”

OverallI'm happy to use them overall. I wanted to take this off my place and have someone else manage and they are certainly doing that. They are just a bit slower than I would like.
ProsI really like the balance sheet and income statements.
ConsThe support is a bit difficult to deal with. There's 4-5 unnecessary calls for setting up the account and seems to be as disconnect among staff there. I was also cancelled on last minute and had a no show.

By Bench Accounting on May 22, 2019
Thanks for your feedback. We apologize for the last minute cancellation of your appointment. We know how precious business owners' time is, and we have shared your feedback with the team to ensure that it does not happen again. Thank you as well for referencing the number of calls you had to set up your Bench account. We strive to schedule the minimum number of calls required to get to know your business inside and out, and gather all the information and documents/reports your bookkeeping team needs. We appreciate that the amount of information required to complete bookkeeping can be a bit overwhelming! We're always looking for ways to improve our systems so we really appreciate your feedback. If there's anything else we can assist you with please let us know and we'd be happy to connect you with one of our Client Success reps.
May 20, 2019
Tony S.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

“Leave it to Bench”

OverallBeing a hands on small business owner is tough enough. Not to mention all the documents, payroll, and most importantly booking keeping. This is where Bench comes in. The team at Bench is always helpful with any questions or concerns. They keep accurate booking and make it stress free each and every year. You will not be disappointed! Try them out
ProsEase of use and up to date information always.
ConsNothing. They are very good at connecting everything you need.
Christopher H.
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
April 29, 2019

“Great for Owner Operated Companies. ”

ProsBench is the ideal service for owners looking to shed bookkeeping responsibilities.
ConsLink between financial accounts and software sometimes breaks.
Manabu T.
CEO, Co-Founder
October 4, 2017

“Solves the Startup Book-keeping Headaches”

OverallAll of my book-keeping headaches are gone!
ProsI really like it that Bench people essentially leave me alone and they will do all the bookkeeping stuff for me. It is not my forte, so it is great and done at much lower price point than hiring a firm. The web interface is great and pretty much you upload your expense receipts and they will take care of it.
ConsOccasionally the bank statement transfers stops, then takes a bit of trial and errors for it to work, only happens perhaps once a year or so. No biggie, but could improve it.

By Bench Accounting on October 5, 2017
Hi Manabu - Thank you for your kind words! We're thrilled to be able to ease the headache of bookkeeping for you. We've passed the message on to Nadeeshi and the rest of your team, and you've made their day much brighter. - SP
October 4, 2017
Alissa E.
Events Services, 1-10 employees
May 3, 2019

“Bench has simplified our life!”

OverallThis has saved me so much time from needing regular in-person meetings with our bookkeeper. Love the ability to hop on a call with our bookkeeper at any time. Everything has been easy to use and transition.
ProsGoing from a traditional bookkeeper to Bench has been such a positive experience. Our books are so much more efficient and the online portal makes it so easy to make changes, track our spending, and ensure we're up to date. The combination of online account connections and automation mixed with a real bookkeeper that knows your account has been very helpful.
ConsSome challenges with connecting financial accounts but appreciate the security requirements
May 3, 2019
April 29, 2019

“Bench offers great support for a small Book Keeping Service”

OverallI am a loyal customer and a happy one. I make it clear if you run a small business Bench can positively help your business grow. If you are a medium business its likely not for you but for Mom and Pops this is a perfect service.
ProsThe price is worthy of the value. The service is grounded and level. The results each year were less stress, more time spent with family because our bookkeeping services were met.
ConsIt's not software its a service, and ultimately every service has a price. I don't think the results are valuable unless you work with your bookkeeper to accurately get all of your bookkeeping done. As a result, there is some time involvement required. BUT FAR LESS than you'd need to do if you managed it yourself.
Trevor E.
Sports, 11-50 employees
May 5, 2019

“Love Bench!”

OverallWonderful! So happy we started with the business.
ProsBench has really helped us with the task of bookkeeping that just got out of hand. The people that help you with your account are so responsive and very helpful!
ConsI would love to have a screen that shows real-time info on where the company is at in the year.
May 5, 2019
London B.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
April 29, 2019

“They do what they know how to do so I can do what I know how to do. ”

OverallOverall very hally
ProsI love math. I love numbers. And I could probably do my own bookkeeping if I didn't have to also run the business, hire employees, train employees and work from home with two toddlers underfoot. That's why Bench is so important to me. They're the experts in their field. So they take that off my to do list so I can handle everything else.
ConsI hate how my bank account always goes offline and I have to remember my password again and again to get it back online.
Greg B.
Wholesale, 1-10 employees

“Excellent Product”

ProsThe ease of use, from processing receipts to monthly financial reports, makes this the best of the bookkeeping software services I've ever used. This frees up so much of my time!
ConsI'd like to see a full accrual accounting method introduced and supported.
Martha S.
Public Relations and Communications, 11-50 employees
April 29, 2019

“Can't imagine running The Key without it”

ProsI LOVE being able to set and forget all the regulated/complex elements of our backend office. Not only do things run smoothly, but the Bench team is always available to confirm that all is as it should be whenever we get concerned. Excellent benefits are a huge part of the culture we're building, and Bench makes it so easy through its core product and partnerships.
ConsI'd love to have even more partners for wellness benefits
April 29, 2019

“Using Bench for Bootstrapped Software Company a Year Now”

ProsEasy. Don't have to do anything and they send you pretty monthly reports. Also, it makes tax time so much easier. If you're starting/new this is 1000000x better than trying to DIY.
ConsIt's possible at some point we'll outgrow Bench. Just as business grows there are more complexities and need for full-time staff. Still, it's great (GREAT!) when you're starting. Probably I'd like for it to be a little bit cheaper, but hey that's life.
Steve L.
April 29, 2019

“Reliable Bookeeping at a reasonable price”

ProsEast to use. Improving on the regular and with new features like Pulse. I like the dedicated support and team member you are linked with makes it feel like an extension of my team.
ConsGuided setup was more time consuming than it needed to be.. the sales team was great but my implementation team seemed like they were in the dark. After working through this and actually switching our bookkeeper within Bench after that it's been great.
Nage D.
CCO
April 29, 2019

“More then Just Software”

OverallStress free, conviennent and helpful!
ProsI love that Bench isn't just software, even though the bench software is a million light years away from other book keeping services with its clean dashboards and colorful graphs. The team is as efficient as as helpful as they claim.
ConsDepending on your banking provider, you may experience slight connections issues and have to manually upload statements, but it's far easier then bookkeeping by myself.
Eric H.
President/Owner
Political Organization, 1-10 employees
April 30, 2019

“Exceptional Product and Service”

OverallInvoicing. Tracking finances. Giving information to my accountants. Bench is responsive and easy.
ProsThis product is easy to use and really helps me to stay organized. I was a Quickbooks user before Bench, and this software is far easier and more intuitive. I spend less time tracking and organizing finances and if I do have an issue the customer service team is always helpful and responsive.
ConsI kept putting off the setup because I thought it would be like Quickbooks and be too time consuming. I was wrong. If you think you are too busy to change your software, trust me, you aren't. Bench is worth it.
Jason A.
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
April 29, 2019

“Great value for bookkeeping service”

OverallThey are great to work with.
ProsIt makes it really easy for us to not think about accounting
ConsThere are features that I'd like to see like invoicing that would allow for more report development and forecasting as well as a more consolidated financial software stack for us.
Tony L.
Financial Services, 1-10 employees

“Love Bench!!”

OverallLove bench and my bookkeeper! No complaints just happy to have them!
ProsBench makes communicating so easy with your personal bookkeeper. There system/software makes doing everything a breeze. And the cost no accountant can touch!
ConsI have no cons about the software or the support!
Education Management, Self-employed

“Great Accounting Software”

OverallOverall, I believe Bench has given me peace of mind about my financials being documented correctly and allowed me to spend more time working on my business instead of in my business.
ProsBench is easy to use and they take the guess work out of managing your business financials.
ConsThere have been a few moments when Bench missed expenses, and had I not caught them, they would have gone undiscovered. They could do a better job double-checking their work.
Jen R.
Sporting Goods, 1-10 employees

“Bookkeeping made easy”

OverallWhen there was an issue with my books, i was able to get a supervisor to help iron out all the kinks (the issue was with my payroll system and tax liabilities, not bench) i was happy to have that service available
ProsI like the reports i can generate on my phone. It's so nice that this is in app form.
ConsNot so much the software but i don't like that i have had six different bookkeepers since signing up two years ago. While they do have a team that works together overall, it's been a little daunting having a new bookkeeper every few months. This was more an issue when i first signed up, I've had my bookkeeper now for a time least six months.
Dawn G.
Owner/Attorney
Law Practice, Self-employed
May 7, 2019

“Bench has been life-changing”

OverallI used to keep my own books, which meant that I got behind and would have to go through piles of bank statements and receipts at the end of the year. I really wish I'd found Bench sooner!
Pros1. The onboarding process was easy and fast. 2. It's easy to communicate with my account representatives. They are very responsive and friendly and knowledgeable. 3. They pay attention to detail and are very accurate. 4. The reports are comprehensive and easy to read and understand.
ConsI cannot think of a single thing I don't like. Everything is good.
May 7, 2019
Philippe Q.
Executive DR
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
April 29, 2019

“A+ Bookkeeping Management Software”

OverallOutsourcing with Bench was a part of our financial streamlining strategy processes. It allowed me to free more time in what I liked doing.
ProsUser Friendly User Interface Excellent Customer service
ConsWish there was some sort of Sync with Quickbooks
Yosef S.
April 29, 2019

“One of the most useful tools I've invested in for my business”

OverallVery happy, receptive to my requests and questions and the user interface is very intuitive and easy to use.
ProsAs a growing business, this has been a very powerful tool to let me capture revenue and expenses. The combination of a software-based approach with a dedicated account manager has been awesome. Plus, when it came to tax-season, Bench did much of the heavy lifting for me, saving me **hours** that I used to spend on tax prep.
ConsThere seems to be a fair amount of churn when it comes to account managers.
Emily L.
Owner and Co Founder
Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees

“Amazing!”

ProsWe love that we don't need to do anything - bench takes care of all the receipts etc.
ConsI don't love that we have not met our book keepers in person but online does the trick!
Sam Ramirez F.
Entertainment, Self-employed
April 29, 2019

“Good service for small business ”

Overallench is a solid bookkeeping service for a small business. It's affordable and the online tools to add expenses and analyze data are decent. My one area for improvement is that I wish Bench offered more human customer service support, even if it's a basic level of accounting I got help in uploading data and having a review done. But I could have used some more help with fully understanding my balance sheets. Overall. Bench is great value for your money and is recommended highly for small businesses in need of book keeping services.
ProsEasy to use. Friendly customer service. affordable.
ConsWould have liked more human assistance even with a basic account
Victoria E.
Law Practice, 1-10 employees
June 9, 2017

“great service for the price”

OverallGreat simple accounting service for the price.
ProsI really liked the responsiveness of my team, and the ease of reviewing my account each month. during our monthly call, which is included with the monthly service fee.
ConsThe only con is that you have to pay more, the more accounts you add, which was not a problem for me initially, but would have been if I added another account in the future.

By Bench Accounting on October 3, 2017
Hi Victoria - Thank you for the review! We're so glad to hear we've been able to help make bookkeeping easy for you. I'll be sure to pass this along to Tammy and the rest of your team. - SP
June 9, 2017
Jakob A.
Computer Networking, 1-10 employees

“Simple and Easy”

OverallIt was easy, we had them do a whole year of books at once. It took a little longer then originally quoted but they did a solid job and had good contact. No complaints at all.
ProsI like that they do everything, its easy. You send them the info and they get it all ready. The team is friendly and provides good support.
ConsA couple features that would be nice include being able to send ACH payments from the software. Also they live look at your accounts is seperate from the book-keeping, small non-issue.
Jonathan B.
Retail, 1-10 employees
April 29, 2019

“Very happy with their service ”

ProsThey take care of everything for your Bookkeeping needs.
ConsI been using this service for 2 years now and I am very happy. I will continue to use them.
Construction, 1-10 employees

“Best overall experience”

ProsThis is the most efficient book keeping experience out there. They are totally consumer oriented, meaning they have a team of agents always waiting to assist you with every detail.
ConsI have to say that just the basic setup is my least favorite task of the Bench experience. But I honestly can tell you that gathering and submitting my bank statements to them was the hardest thing I had to do. Even though this was done in less than 15 min....
Michelle S.
Owner/Photographer
Photography, Self-employed
April 29, 2019

“simple online bookkeeping for small businesses or solopreneurs”

OverallI run my own business, and am NOT great with the numbers side of things. Bench handles my "books" for me, so I can easily keep track of all business expenses and profits so I can make sure things are on track. And this kind of record keeping helps streamline things in a BIG way when it's time to pay taxes.
ProsIt's hands-off accounting for those who want to outsource, so they can get back to actually running their BUSINESS. And I like that there are actual PEOPLE taking care of me. I can reach out with any questions I have and get answers QUICKLY. And the team is able to easily get in touch with ME with any questions they come across, too. The messaging system is incredibly easy to use, and a great way to keep track of conversations. And while there IS a learning curve to this software, I like that the team actually schedules a walk-through to show you HOW to use it, rahter than leaving you to do it on your own.
ConsSome bank accounts won't automatically sync (smaller banks or credit unions?), so there is still a bit of time needed on my end to download a report from my account and upload it to the Bench system. But it doesn't take that long to do, so it's really not that big of a deal.
Consumer Goods, 1-10 employees
April 30, 2019

“Bench is a valuable partner”

OverallGood experience. I would recommend Bench to other small business owners.
ProsBench does a good job keeping up with our books. They have been reliable through the years. The software is efficient and allows us to access our financial information as needed. The reports have provided us with actionable insights.
ConsSometimes it can take longer than expected for the previous month to be updated. Manually checks for errors are necessary before closing out the books for the year.