CARTO Ratings

Overall

About CARTO

The Carto platform empowers everyone, from business analysts to data scientists, to turn location data into business outcomes. Our open, cloud software offers visual insights on where things happen, why they happen and predict what will happen in the future. We accelerate innovation, find efficiencies, power new use cases and disrupt business models through the use of Location Intelligence. Carto combines spatial and temporal data to power business outcomes. Learn more about CARTO

Matthew L.
Wildlife Campaigner and Researcher
11-50 employees
September 19, 2017

“CARTO have been incredibly supportive . Their mapping software enables us to reach new demographics”

ProsThe customer support provided by CARTO is excellent. Rarely have I had the pleasure of working with a company that consistently provides help and support so quickly and readily. With regards to the software it enables us to display large datasets that we have created in a new visual format. This enables us to convey not only a huge amount of information but also global and complex issues in a user friendly and easy to digest format. The maps we have created using CARTO have been viewed over 26,000 times in a year which for us a relatively small NGO is fantastic. Especially as this new medium to display our data has been picked up by media sources due to the ease at which these maps can be shared enabling us to potentially reach a broader ranged demographic than with previous outputs. The latest version is much improved from the first incarnation with the ability to undo certain actions and to move data points with the click of a mouse without having to change manually the lat and long numbers.
ConsIt can at times be rather clunky and slow to load, although this may be due to the number of data points within a map. Annoyingly with the latest version the ability to place a title on a map has been removed. Also the legends have a tendency to be very large and unmoveable whilst at the same time not able to accommodate titles over a certain length. The software is easy to pick up with trial and error but it is not immediately obvious what can be achieved and or displayed with the mapping software. I am sure that I have not been able to utilise all of the great functions there are available but I am not sure what is available. The widgets are a nice new addition but these again and large and have a tendency to cover large portions of the map. These could be slimmed down and also made obvious for the viewer that they could pull them up and reduce them in size to aid map understanding.
September 19, 2017
Charles C.
September 15, 2017

“Best Digital Geospatial Mapping Experience Out There”

ProsEase of access and speed. For a digital mapping platform, Carto is a powerhouse of a client that is both intuitive and efficient (in time and resources). I am able to upload and operate datasets quickly (along with exporting full projects); and, customize the features with relative comfort - including adding and removing without too much complication. It is comparatively the best platform I've used in the years I've been mapping, and they have been among the most helpful hands on assistance when it comes to snafus while working.
ConsI've few criticisms that make me like Carto less; but, the most significant one I could think of: I wish there could be more than eight layers when designing maps, as there are times when it's critical to juxtapose many different layers in identifying and judging patterns.
Céline J.
Co creator and promotor
Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees
August 28, 2017

“I used Cartodb and now Carto for years to support a citizen participatory project on active mobility”

OverallIt is the main platform to centralize data from a citizen mapping open platform (repubikla.org), to manage datasets, make análisis, visualize and communicate assessments and civil monitoring to governments un several Mexican cities. The benefits is having an easy, clear, and all on one platform, with a large gain of Time. I have a very good communication with collaborators with the webmaps, so we gain impact (track @repubikla #repubikla on twitter) I'm also learning a lot, through database management and análisis frequent tasks.
ProsCarto is a very versatile platform, well integrated to the web and social network. It totally satisfy my needs as an open data activist, to centralize data from citizenship, make attractive visualizations and spread them through a large activists ecosystem on the web and social media. It also helps to communicate effectively the data and the analisis to governments. The good aspect is it has both beginners and advanced users interfaces. It was one of the reasons we selected this tool to allow the group work. The support given to users is very attentive.
ConsIt could have even more flexible fonctions with no need to manage the code. For my use it is not necessary, but I guess that a way to custom OpenStreetMap Tiles would be very useful. As well, some link to "improve the OpenStreetMap basemap" (as used on many platforms) , is a good way yo interact with OSM and have shared benefits.
Dillon M.
Information Designer
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
September 11, 2017

“Great addition to our organization”

ProsIt allows us to easily display data to our audience in an interactive and meaningful way. CARTO has made it much easier for us to use maps as a policy tool.
ConsThe changes made to the legends system took a bit to get used to, but the Builder is getting better as more and more people use it. Can't wait for any improvements to come!
Geoff S.
Executive Director
Public Policy, 1-10 employees
September 11, 2017

“CARTO has helped us find new ways to visualize spatial data and connect analysis to a broad audience”

Pros-CARTO is a great, user-friendly product that has greatly improved the way that we connect spatial data and analysis to a diverse set of non-technical stakeholders -Creates attractive maps with easy-to-use interface -Back-end development features are user friendly and easy to learn even with limited GIS or programming experience -The ability to edit in HTML and CSS gives the opportunity to customize the end product design and provides a high level of flexibility and control -CARTO is always innovating and adding new features and functionality
Cons-It would be nice if there were some expanded analytics on map usage -It would be helpful if there was additional documentation on how to use HTML or CSS in CARTO. Currently, users largely have to figure it out themselves.
Arturo C.
City Planner
Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees
August 28, 2017

“Carto gives me the opportunity to make all my maps and databases everywhere.”

OverallI get more job opportunities, since it's a very innovative product in the GIS enviroment.
ProsStyling capabilities, data processing, and dynamics. I like it because I can embed my beautiful maps everywhere, with many interactive functionalities. Also, the academy is awesome, there are many tutorials on how to build awesome stuff.
ConsThe new version is very awesome but is not as intuitive as the first version. It has a lack of editing capabilities offered by other desktop GIS software. The number of layers allowed also limits a lot complex cartography. The free version has a lot to offer, but the price of the paid version of the service seems too high.
Maria M.
Leader of Urban Projects
Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees
September 13, 2017

“Very friendly user and with several possibilities to categorize information and create nice maps”

OverallMake our technical information available on the internet.
ProsOur organization appreciates that the platform makes very technical information available to the community since it creates a bridge between the traditional geographical systems and the communication part of this information. It also has several and suitable options to categorize information, as well as to put layers, images, and text in the maps which is usually very difficult to incorporate in an online platform without coding.
ConsWe would like the possibility to put more layers of information per map and more space for datasets.
David B.
Executive Director
Environmental Services, 1-10 employees
August 30, 2017

“We use Carto for our land acquisition planning as we are a Land Trust preserving open space.”

OverallIt helps us to save more land.
ProsI think we use a limited amount of the software's capacity. We overlay parcel map data onto the carto platform and then use a key to code different types of properties.
Margaret M.
Senior Research Associate
Research, 11-50 employees
September 13, 2017

“I've used carto to make several multi-layered maps related to housing for my non-profit.”

ProsI love carto. As someone with very little GIS knowledge I've been able to make amazingly interactive, informative maps using Carto's very intuitive program. I love the map's pop up features which you can make come up on a mouse hover or mouse click and give information about specific locations and layers in the map. I also have made good use of Carto's exiting library of GIS files.
ConsCarto includes several analysis tools that allow me to do some analysis even without GIS skills. One analysis tool I wish existed was one that would allow me to filter one layer by another. That's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out how to do in Carto.
Victor N.
Analista de bases de datos
Internet, Self-employed
Used the software for: I used a free trial
July 25, 2019

“ Carto. excellent tool to manage your maps”

OverallI carried out tests in the free version, the loading, data management and final products of the analysis were excellent.
ProsCarto presents a fairly intuitive learning management, allows analysis of the loaded data, you can perform hot spot analysis and easily adapts to geomarketing management. You can also perform ideal location analysis, offers webinars and documents to learn from the platform
ConsThe cost of the license is medium, the trial period is very limited, it does not offer proposals aimed at students with few economic resources
July 25, 2019
Ka S.
Mapping Manager
September 15, 2017

“CARTO has enabled me to create several interactive maps to visually display data collected by my org”

Pros Ease of Use: As I have limited official training in using mapping software, I appreciated how easy it was to learn how to use CARTO's software. It was very easy to create a map from existing data my organization had collected by importing excel spreadsheets. It was also easy to incorporate popup boxes into my maps to display additional qualitative data. Diverse Mapping Features: CARTO software has many features and options which allowed me to create several different types of maps. As my organization collects several different types of data, the CARTO software made it easy to create maps that displayed this information in a way that was logical and visually appealing. Easy to find additional information or tutorials online from external sources.
Cons The tutorials or technical information on CARTO's website is limited. When I sought to increase my technical capacity to use the CARTO software, I had to seek external sources. There is no option to change or modify the base maps provided by CARTO.
Elliott R.
Digital Editor
Broadcast Media, 201-500 employees
September 5, 2017

“Dependable and flexible way of making creative data maps.”

OverallWe made some pretty engaging data maps using this software and government data.
ProsThe software allows our organization to visualize geographic data in a powerful visual. We regularly make unique maps that can easily be embedded on our website and works great on mobile.
ConsI would say that the newest version of the software had some learning curves, but were easy to navigate once you kicked the tires.
September 5, 2017
Stephen S.
Data Reporter
Newspapers, 51-200 employees
August 28, 2017

“Have enjoyed using Carto for a few years now. Helpful staff and a tool with powerful potential.”

ProsWide array of customization options to fit varying skill levels. If you're stuck on something odds are it isn't because you can't do it, but rather you have to learn something new and more challenging in order to do it.
ConsLearning curve can be a bit steep at first. Recent changes to the UI expanded the power of the tool, but made entry-level harder to navigate.
Mathieu A.
License Partner
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
Used the software for: I used a free trial
October 3, 2019

“Thank you Carto, Thank you executive”

ProsI really enjoyed playing with this tool. I created 2-3 maps during my session with Carto in link with my job. I was a complete neophyte at 1st but with the help of the customer service and executive he helped me step by step to improve and make my maps even better.
ConsReally hard to use when you have no knowledge. Wish I entered in contact with Pablo earlier in my trial I would have had more time.
October 3, 2019
Luan J.
IT and GIS Manager
Non-Profit Organization Management, 5001-10,000 employees
August 29, 2017

“Powerful and easy to use geospatial web platform”

OverallInteractive web maps to present our efforts on getting rid of explosive remnants of war.
ProsPowerful data visualizations and analysis and with a few click you are up and running. The styling, analysis, widgets and programming interface extend the capabilities of what you can do with the platform.
ConsMore like suggestions than cons: the widgets need to support more data filter types such as drop downs and calendar date pick up fields and filters; also data exports to different formats.
August 29, 2017
Chris H.
GIS Web Developer
Environmental Services, 11-50 employees
August 30, 2017

“Carto makes web based GIS and interactive web mapping a breeze”

ProsDrag & drop GIS data integration, robust APIs, their dashboard makes learning and using SQL easy, superb support staff & team.
ConsThe new Builder interface takes some getting used to, but is super powerful once you learn it, and Carto has plenty of tutorials to help you get started.
Laura S.
IT Consultant
Utilities, 51-200 employees
September 12, 2017

“Made great maps easily. I was able to merge different datasets (shapefile and population data)”

OverallFantastic Maps!
ProsI really like that the result looks very professional and it is very easy to do chloropleth maps. You can customise the maps and info windows a lot.
ConsI have not used the statistical functionalities of the software yet. I would like to make an animated map (torque map) but this seems to be a bit more complicated because data needs to be formatted specifically. Though Carto is great and I can do most of the things I need to do!
September 12, 2017
Niyi A.
Instructor
E-Learning, 1-10 employees
August 28, 2017

“CARTO has helped expand Literacy around Location Intelligence in Nigeria. Ease of use.”

OverallThe software helped us teach young Nigerians easily about the basics of use of Location Intelligence
ProsThe Ease of Use and the fact that it has free features that help young Nigerians create simple visualization and also Learn the basics of using Location Intelligence to visualize and analyze issues while it also raises their curiosity on solving problems.
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
October 11, 2018

“Great tool to visualize data”

ProsIt's a great tool to visualize geopositionated information
ConsThe styling can be complicated on complex maps
October 11, 2018
Brandyn F.
GIS Specialist
September 15, 2017

“Have primarily used Carto for easily bringing the geospatial power of PostGIS to the web.”

Pros- The SQL API is extremely easy to use and opens many possibilities for web-based GIS. - The out-of-the box tools for geovisualization are beautiful. I haven't used much of these, but admire the visualizations I see published.
ConsThe UI could be more straightforward. I don't spend much time in Builder, primarily using the APIs, but when I do it takes a little while to get the hang of it.
Hadassah D.
Technology Manager
Non-Profit Organization Management, 11-50 employees
September 13, 2017

“Quick functionality, beautiful viz”

ProsEasy ingestion of data sets and access to other data sets, powerful aggregations and visualizations, sync with Google Sheets very convenient.
ConsA few hard limitations in the visualization options, mobile optimization not available on every interface.
Oil & Energy, 201-500 employees
April 25, 2018

“Great Cloud software for digital mapping”

ProsCARTO takes digital mapping to a new level. It is cloud base, easy to use and fast to learn. Makes GIS mapping more interactive and easy to customize for different purposes.
ConsI used only the free trial but it was a great experience. Being open-source any issues you might have you'll find a solution online and also they keep adding new features.
April 25, 2018
Lisa W.
Communications Manager
Recreational Facilities and Services, 11-50 employees
September 13, 2017

“Clean, smart platform, a great leap ahead for our organization.”

ProsOur new mapping tool is well designed with and easy to use, important because our members span a range of technical ability.
ConsCan't speak as well to this because we didn't build the tool, but we are collecting a list of refinements to make the next time around.
Research, 11-50 employees
September 17, 2019

“Great mapping”

OverallUsed quite a bit during free trial and loved it. Price was a pain though.
ProsCarto is a great mapping tool, super slick, easy to use, great customer support, fantastic documentation.
ConsPricing is where there was a miss for us, quick expensive and lots of alternatives out there in the market.
September 17, 2019
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
April 11, 2019

“An excelent way to view GIS data”

ProsIt has a lot of tools for the analysis of the GIS data and visualize it , quick and easy
ConsAt the begining it's dificult to get used about how it wokrs
April 11, 2019
Becky S.
Co-Founder + CEO
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
August 30, 2017

“Such a great way to visualize our data”

ProsIt was so easy to set up, an intern did it for us in a few hours. We got all our maps integrated in a short period of time. We love how Carto displays the data in such a beautiful way.
ConsWe had a few small glitches where our changes were not displaying, but the customer support team was able to fix them quickly.
Stephanie S.
Student
International Affairs, Self-employed
February 15, 2019

“Carto is easy to use and compelling!”

ProsIt is very simple to use and you can link to live excel documents so your data automatically updates!
ConsImporting base maps can be a bit confusing at first.
February 15, 2019