Deltek Vision Ratings

Overall
3.5/5

About Deltek Vision

Deltek Vision is a project-based solution for professional services firms that combines project accounting, resource management, project management, time/expense management and client management in one product. Deltek Vision is a web-based solution available for cloud or on-premises deployment. Learn more about Deltek Vision

Rhonda L.
Manager, CRM Systems
Civil Engineering, 1001-5000 employees
June 27, 2017

“I'm a believer in Deltek Vision”

ProsWe use Vision for CRM and Proposals-Custom Proposals and Government forms. I love the connectivity between your firms, contacts with your opportunities and jobs. Using Vision enables us to store and retrieve our corporate history and the story of us...our projects, our people and our client relationships. I confess I am a power-user and have done most of the configuration to the system, so therefore understand it more than most others, but I can provide data of any kind from our system. We are integrated with a different accounting platform, so I can also provide up-to-date project reporting. We also use an intranet connector that makes our information easily obtainable/viewable through PC and mobile app (not the Deltek mobile app). I have used the Deltek Vision product since 2005 and had prior Deltek products since the late 1990's. Dewberry is a 2,000 person firm with 50 office locations in 18 states.
ConsAlthough I live and breathe Deltek Vision, numerous people at our firm just can't grasp the details and complain that it is not user friendly. The learning curve seems slow for some people to overcome, actually many people, but once it's figured out, there seems to be high value in their usage. I like the custom reporting tool but my users find it so difficult that most refuse to use it. I think the most successful firms will have a Vision expert and a strong IT (SQL, reports) and application team on staff. If not, you probably would need a consultant. My team has been able to keep everything in house to date.
David P.
Chief Financial Officer
November 15, 2016

“Twelve Years as a Deltek User”

OverallIn 2004, the professional services firm I worked for was managing a $10M/year business using Quickbooks. It was clunky and problematic, with no real analytic capability (i.e., where and how were we making money). I investigated various solutions, and discovered Deltek Vision. We hired an outside consultant to install and configure Vision for us,and life changed. We suddenly had a true business management solution. As the CFO, I finally had a tool that could give me true insight into the underpinning of our business,and where were profitable (and where we were not). Two years later, at a architectural firm, I inherited Axiom Protrax, practically a DOS-based solution. I quickly tired of operating with a 20-year old platform, and advocated for Vision. Having experienced one implementation,I was not enthused with dropping $60K for an outside party to tell me what to do to configure the system. So, over three months,I single-handedly configured and implemented Vision at a 50-person architectural firm. And it has made all the difference. Vision has continued to grow, through internal development and outside acqusition, and through it all they have maintained a consistent look and feel to the product. Adding functionality without detracting from the user experience. And their customer support has remained top-notch. I love the quick chat. If I just have a quick question, I can go quick chat, and quickly resolve my issues. I love this produce, and it meets the needs of my business.
ProsThe user experience. The ability to customize the interface. The ability to quickly drill down into reports.
ConsIt is such a rich,deep product that some of its functionality remains unused.
Recommendations to other buyersThis is a great solution for professional service firms, though be sure folks get the training they need to fully utilize all of its functions.
Tony B.
Executive recruiter
Construction, 501-1000 employees
March 8, 2018

“See your Vision with Deltek!!!”

OverallThis product is specifically designed to support the complete project lifecycle of professional services firms, Deltek Vision helps measure your most critical business functions. From pipeline building and client management to project execution and financial management, Deltek Vision users can experience measurable benefits immediately, including increased employee utilization, streamlined project management, reduced DSO and increased margins and profitability.
ProsDeltek Vision's is a software solution that allows you utilize custom proposal modules and government forms modules to cut down on hours off of proposal preparation. Because Deltek is the "source of truth" for our employee history and project history we are able to easily and quickly pull information from Vision onto proposal templates in minutes. Pulling information from a centralized archive it gives our users confidence in the data, employee updates/feedback are made one time (in Vision) instead having to always start the process over whenever a new proposal document is presented to the employee and gives our marketing professionals the extra time needed to craft the proposal to meet the RFP and client requested information. We use Deltek Vision to support our Strategic Plan goal for the company growing and win more work!
ConsThe user interface is extremely difficult to get used to. Since we started using this software my group has received a lot of calls from people in my organization who are unsure how to do basic searches and will ask us for help/assistance because they'd rather not deal with it. The main thing that is not intuitive is its search function, which is critical.
March 8, 2018
Susan M.
Self Employed
January 9, 2018

“Used Vision's General Ledger primarily in my role to produce month end and year end financial stmts.”

ProsThe general ledger was easy and logical for an accountant. The work breakdown structure allowed for reporting consolidated reports as well as subsidiary level, office level, and departmental reports. Vision handled large amounts of transactions and data efficiently. Vision offers functionality to do time sheets and expense reports remotely. Vision has great security features that can remove access to certain areas or information based on an employees role in the Company. It is easy to remove rights immediately when employees leave the Company. In addition, roles can control who can make changes or post transactions. Vision allows for automated reporting. For example, an Accounts Receivable report can be automatically sent to an employee's email on a scheduled basis.
ConsThe software is not logical for non-accountants. The software is primarily for A'E firms but very difficult for those users. Most of the engineers are unable to write and run project reports. When they do get a report, the report isn't easily understood. The software is difficult to support internally and requires a database specialist to get maximum value. Vision contains a massive amount of data but the canned reports do not always offer the different types of data in same report. Unless you can write custom reports, you will have to pay expensive consulting fees.
January 9, 2018
Imran S.
Senior Financial Advisor
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
March 27, 2019

“A Fully Integrated Solution Software with Great Features”

OverallDeltek Vision has a database where I can put all my information for each assignment / project. Deltek for me is a fully integrated service product that can provide Managers, Heads and other office staff detailed information about the financial status of any department or segment in real time.
ProsDeltek Vision has easy to use tools that allow all the operators - from high level Managers to back office staff members the ability to view and understand where the company's resources and project budgets stand at any given time. Deltek Vision allows a lot of customization and flexibility that can be very helpful for any individual in his company. One amazing feature is that Deltek Vision provides extensive functions of project management all in one single program like expense reports, budget planning, time sheets, auditing etc. Managing work utilization is very useful for me because a lot of my team members are spread in distinct locations throughout the country who are working on the same project.
ConsA major flaw of Deltek is that the system's outlook is very outdated. I personally felt that Deltek Vision was lacking in the expense report department. Reports are very hard to export. Even so, when I export the reports to excel, the formatting is completely undesirable, and I must spend a few minutes to format them.
March 27, 2019
Debra H.
Senior Staff
Architecture & Planning, 1001-5000 employees
November 7, 2017

“Searching for data results in quick results, good report generation feature, easy to edit.”

OverallInformation about each project such as who is the PM, lead architect, lead accountant, project location, legacy data, status, etc. is essential to our business. We can easily search for all current projects in any city, state, province, country. Our PMs use this to keep track of payments, invoices, employees assigned to the project, budget data, and documents stored on our servers can be linked from within a record. We can view other projects for the vendor or client.
ProsIt allows me to have three databases open. In my case, Projects, Employees and Timesheets. It's great to toggle between them without having to log out and in again. Data retrieval is quick. It allows me to search for very specific information so my results don't overwhelm. Data access is controlled at the user level so people cannot edit fields without proper permission. Before Vision, we used a database that contained project numbers that were preserved in the Vision database. So if we need to look up project data based on the old number, we are able to. This saves us a lot of time.
ConsIt is difficult to learn this software on your own beyond searching. There are so many features that allow us to look at the data in several ways. Most of those ways are unknown to me so training is required. I would suggest that companies provide proper training before implementing it firmwide to avoid frustration.
November 7, 2017
Sandra S.
Chief Financial Officer
February 28, 2017

“Vision Review by Accounting”

OverallVision has good features and is lacking in some features. Vision used to be able to alphabetize A/R Statements when we initially started using it. Through upgrades, Vision lost that feature that we found valuable for our billing process. Vision is lacking in end of year reporting functionality. For example, end of year 1099 functionality is lacking. States require the account id assigned to companies to be reported on 1099s. Vision is currently unable to print accurate paper copies nor is it able to provide an accurate electronic file. Customer support was not able to help me and I had to manually edit the electronic file in order to have a 1099-MISC that would pass our state's criteria. Vision does not provide reporting for form 1099-INT which I need for reporting interest on shareholder payouts. Financial reporting is lacking some. Balance Sheets typically have Assets on page 1 and Liabilities and Equity on page 2. I have not found a way to easily achieve this with settings in Vision. I have employees that would like to be able to review their payroll withholdings and paystubs at any given time, but are not able to do that. At times, Vision is disappointing for the Accounting department. At other times, it is a rock star for us.
ProsIntegregrates the engineers project management with accounting reporting.
ConsPayroll tax/End of Year Tax Reporting is lacking.
Recommendations to other buyersNo.
Jun J.
Accounting Manager
November 9, 2017

“Powerful yet not so user friendly.”

OverallNot so user friendly, too much steps to get one voucher in. Entering description is not so easy and flexible, keep getting too much error message.
ProsBiggest help is that It has WIP feature where we can keep track or our work in progress without outsourcing to vendors. It offers full accounting functions.
ConsIn the reports, info are not easily accessible with clicking the items you want to see. VIsual weakness where it does not disclose all info in the window and cannot adjust borders left or right to fully expose all info...always need to use left and right scroll to enter or see the whole line.. voucher and invoice number too short, can't fit long numbers, All the modules are not available...can't tell if other modules that we don't have licenses are useful to us or we need it if we don't know how it works or what it can do,,,,it doesn't give trial period like quickbooks or peachtree where we can test it for short period. Reports are too much options but doesn't have options that allows us to see more clearly. Visual really too messy...would like to see simpler and clear reports.
Rob W.
Accountant
August 31, 2017

“Could build an aircraft carrier with this software or use it to run a small destroyer, depending on your needs.”

OverallOverall as compared to the other 5 ERP systems I have used over the years I have to say Vision is one of the best out there, especially for project oriented tracking. Deltek is also a company looking for improvement and advancement within their programs. The new generation they are working on to Vision takes the program to a very modern and more robust place. Great things are coming!
ProsHas the ability to be customized in many ways to improve functionality and process routine tasks behind the scenes with workflows. Great when you want scheduled reports to be pushed out to staff on a regular basis, can be either be emailed or sent to a dashboard. System is fairly easy to use and navigate once you get the hang of it. However, the size and capability can be off putting if you give too much access to none power users.
ConsAlthough there are many reports and lots of options within each report they can also be limiting. For example if you wanted to run an A/R graph for aging you can only choose three options (Current, 30, & 60 days). Therefore if you have five options (Current, 30+, 60+, 90+, 120+) you will need to run two graphs to see all the info. However, if you have someone who know SQL you can design and write your own reports which is a plus.
August 31, 2017
Katherine N.
Project Leader
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
November 15, 2016

“Deltek Vision ERP Implementation needs an onsite professional”

OverallThe controller left December 31st. The company went live February 1st. I began February 6th and I had never seen Deltek Vision before that day. Deltek Vision is a powerful, project management software which can help you have almost real-time visibility into all aspects of your business. Hi, my name is Kathy Nixon and I am a CPA, a PMP, and a professional coach. Post-acquisition mergers of systems, processes, and teams is my niche. This assignment had me serving as interim corporate controller of a $130M+ Revenue company who was merging its three companies currently on Quickbooks all into one system, Deltek Vision. Greatest take-aways: 1. Designate a Subject Matter Expert. It can be a Deltek Vision consultant or a third-party consultant with heavy Deltek Vision experience. 2. Develop a Steering Committee across all company disciplines and meet weekly. Decision making and joint buy-in is important. 3. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate. Communication to all areas of your organization is imperative to the success of the implementation. 4. Train, review, test, train some more. It takes a village to raise this child. 5. Designate or hire a project manager. For success, you need someone focused on all areas of this software's implementation. Setup, testing of setup, training, input, verify input accuracy, invoicing, collections, accounting and financial reporting. 6. Expect 6 months (to a year) before everyone is onboard. 7. Develop a budget which includes 5 times the software's cost. Yes, five times. It is a pay me now or pay to correct it later proposition. Good luck! Wishing you success. Let me know how I can help.
Chelsee B.
Billing specialist
June 28, 2017

“Deltek Review from a billing standpoint”

OverallDeltek Vision is mainly well suited for project managers to view project data in one place and also for billing purposes. It allows you to view a project as whole or drill down and see a certain time frame. Deltek Vision could be updated to be more HR inclusive. Right now we can only use it for time and expense and also payroll.
ProsThe time sheet and expense entering are very detailed and users can log time from iAccess if they are out of the office as well as upload to receipts straight into vision. It works great as a billing system. it's pretty straight forward and being able to run batches or also single invoices depending on your need is helpful. It has a wide variety of reporting and you can also customize report to drill down and pull the info you need.
ConsIt can be difficult for new users and somewhat overwhelming. You need to be familiar with customizing reports to be able to get what you want. The default reports don't usually provide what information is needed. I really hate that we still have to use internet explorer to access vision.
June 28, 2017
Joel N.
Data Analyst
Information Technology and Services, 501-1000 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
June 10, 2019

“Deltek Vision Review”

OverallIt makes planning for business finance simpler. With an amazing interface (dashboard for quick access), you can make plans and generate detailed reports needed for decision-making.
ProsWhen it comes to everything accounting, this tool is reliable and effective. You can effectively manage budgeting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue report and financial forecasts. Financial planning requires accuracy and detailed info and therefore, it can be daunting when you are dealing with several projects at a go that require planning. This tool saves you all the trouble and helps you plan accordingly . Secondly, it makes organization pretty simple. You can determine which of your staff are suitable for a particular project based on previous reports detailing their performance on the project. You can also get to the root of issues because everything is pretty much detailed. Businesses have ups and downs from time to time and having a tool that helps you get to the bottom of hindrances is an added advantage. It guarantees you great and reliable insight with features such as payroll, mobile app, expense management and client invoice among others.
ConsThough it fully covers planning for business in nearly all aspects, I'd really ask that they check out resource planning. Document implementation shouldn't have hitches at all. That also should be checked.
June 10, 2019
Sue I.
Accounts Receivable Manager
Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees
March 29, 2017

“Deltek Vision - Wonderful Program to Control & Grow Your Project Based Business”

OverallDeltek Vision is a work horse of a software program. Its functionality is extensive and requires a full time person to be invested fully into set up and maintenance of the many features available. We find that we aren't able to use many of the great features simply because we don't have the time to explore and learn them all. Reporting features are fantastic and so useful in project management. Highly recommend this program for any project based company.
ProsThe reporting features are so inclusive that you really can get any info you need at the click of report once you have them set up.
ConsIt relies on accurate entry of data so I can't even say that there's a negative about the software just that you need consistent processes of input in order for the features to work efficiently.
Recommendations to other buyersFor smaller companies all modules may not be required so I would start with the core product and work up to the other modules. There is a lot of functionality in each one so you need staffing responsible for set up and use in each section of you won't be able to use the program to its full ability.
Stephanie W.
Accountant
June 26, 2017

“Deltek Vision has everything an A&E firm needs to run its daily business. From project planning on.”

ProsEverything that you need is in one software program. You can plan a new project, see which employees are available to sssign tasks to, and run payroll all with out leaving the software. Reports, including custom reporting, is quick and as easy as selecting what you want the report to show and hitting preview. From there you can print or save as either a PDF or as an excel spreadsheet which makes the reports even more versatile. With the addition of iAccess it's helping the 'away-from-the-office' employees be able to check time sheets and project info from anywhere.
ConsThe learning curve for implementing features not previously used is a little steep. There's not a lot of "free" tutorials for setting up features to begin with, although you can find quite a bit of information about using features once you have them set up correctly.
June 26, 2017
Leigh F.
Senior Accounting Administrator
Environmental Services, 1001-5000 employees

“Review of Vision”

OverallI used Vision from July 2007 thru the present, my company was bought out last fall and we are forced to switch to BST as our accounting system. Vision is infinitely superior to BST. BST is an abomination it takes twice as long AT LEAST to do anything. I wish we could continue to use vision. It was more flexible, intuitive and efficient.
ProsIt is intuitive and versatile and could be used to meet our customers needs.
ConsCompared to BST which I have to use now I love everything about Vision. When I had not experienced the contrast I would say there were some fields that you typed in that you had to expand to use and that was a nuisance. Or that in interactive billing there is a lot of gray space that I would rather see my data in. However, I had ever used BST before I would have be thrilled to open the screen to change the notes instead of 5 components to do one invoice.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you are choosing between vision and BST choose Vision a thousand times over.
Jeanice F.
Vice President

“My Experience”

OverallOverall, Vision is good. One feature I do not care for is the reporting and the fields are not in alphabetical order. I love the advanced search feature in reporting. I love the A/R transaction input experience where you just pull the invoice and it puts everything in. That is outstanding. Timesheets is another great feature of Deltek. One thing I feel needs to improve is the A/R search under the Accounting Tab/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review, if you don't know the invoice number and search by client, it pulls all projects for that client. It should only pull those projects with outstanding A/R. I don't care for the customer service thru the help. Calling was much better.
ProsThe A/R transaction entry, the advanced search in reporting, timesheet processes.
ConsThe project reporting list of fields not in alphabetical order when you are trying to create a report. I know you can sort but it would take that step away if it was automatic. The search for an invoice number under Accounting/Accounts Receivable/Invoice Review.
Jun J.
Accounting Manager
September 6, 2019

“Effective but not efficient”

ProsIt's a good tool to keep track of work-in-progress and everyday accounting transactions.
ConsIt's not so user friendly and not so efficient and expensive tool for the same things that can be done with Sage software.
September 6, 2019
Diana Y.
ERP Systems Analyst
June 27, 2017

“Great product, customizable and great support”

OverallCentralized Project based accounting and reporting.
ProsThe customer support at Deltek is great, they are always available to help you out with questions you may have wither technically or application use. Vision is also customizable, they have a talented staff that is able to help customize the software to your business's needs. Standard out of box features are easy to use and the company is always looking for input from customers to improve it's use.
ConsIt get a little bit more on the cumbersome side to use if your a larger company, although I feel like this might in part be due to our customization of the software as well. As mentioned in my Pros, Deltek's support staff is always helpful in any situation so with their help we can usually work through any issues that occur.
Charon D.
Senior Project Accountant
Environmental Services, 51-200 employees
November 27, 2018

“Current User, Worked with Super Users”

OverallIt has been a great tool. it makes me brush up on some financial skills that I haven't needed for a while. its useful for the whole company but I wish it were more easier to incorporate things as for all staff to learn. Overall I love working in Vision.
ProsIts easy to lear, tons of data files to export and use. there are some very useful features. A company could run all financial aspects and management tools of their firm with this one system but for a bit of money. There are options to use this in the cloud. Training is available although at a cost. Many advantages, many uses.
ConsWould be great if there was a ease of use for non-financial personnel. More useable help links that really get you to where you need to be, less costly. Wish it was not going away.
November 27, 2018
Chelsee B.
Billing specialist
February 21, 2018

“Deltek Vision”

OverallWe use vision for billing, invoicing is made simpler and PMs have an easier time managing their projects. iAccess greatly helps PM's get a quick snapshot of their projects on a daily basis - which means more efficiency.
ProsTime and expense management as well as reporting and being able to drill down for PMs on certain aspects of their projects. The reporting functions well, and the batch billing is excellent for running large amounts of invoices at one time.
ConsI don't like that it only runs on internet explorer - it's a bit outdated. I also wish that it was more HR inclusive. It would be great if you could run unposted labor reports that included the billing rates which is a minor inconvenience. Also if you could run an unposted unit report as well that would greatly benefit the PMs.
February 21, 2018
Jon H.
Principal
April 20, 2017

“Can do almost anything you want, but not intuitive”

OverallVision has the ability to track time and expenses and prepare project plans and report out that information in infinite detail. Benefits to your firm can be vast from timesheets, to project plans to CRM data and coordination. However its unlimited potential also leads to a lack of intuitive processes for the casual user. Lots of training time is required for high performance users to be able to track and understand the data and reporting and connection. Can require significant time to accurately input and adjust details as project fees and schedules change.
ProsAbility to report out data and create customizable reports and methods of reviewing and previewing that data. Useful for forecasting and reviewing upcoming projects.
ConsNot user friendly or intuitive. Field names and connections to other fields are not readily apparent. Takes years to become fluent in the program.
April 20, 2017
Nereida B.
ANALISTA CONTABLE
April 26, 2018

“Important business data in real time.”

OverallI am using Deltek Vision to identify problems affecting the performance of our company and hinder the successful implementation of some projects. I am also taking advantage of useful features to improve performance and complete projects successfully.
ProsWhat I like about Deltek Vision modules are purchasing and asset management because they allow me to track purchase orders and fixed assets; It helps me to get new business, improve performance and optimize the operations of our company.
ConsFor some people within the company's user interface it is not always so friendly and does not have much ability to change the screen size. In addition, it may not be ideal for companies that only require specific modules, since all the modules are included in the software.
April 26, 2018
Rossana O.
Service Support Manager/Database Administrator
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 201-500 employees
April 14, 2017

“Deltek Vision”

OverallDRMP, Inc is a Civil Engineering firm with 350+ employees. It has been using Vision since 10 years ago and before that it used Advantage. The following modules have been implemented: - Vision Core - Vision CRM - Vision Payroll - Deltek Talent Acquisition And we're in the process of implementing Asset Management and Deltek Talent Performance Vision is used as our ERP system company wide.
Pros- Very customizable. As it uses SQL as the backend database, custom store procedures can be created to automate company processes. - Very powerful software that can meet a lot of the company's needs. - The use of workflows is something else that is very beneficial because it allows to automate task.
Cons- The security portion is cumbersome and sometimes not very flexible. - Training is very expensive
April 14, 2017
Barbara C.

“Deltek Vision Review”

OverallWe have used Deltek Vision via the Cloud for two years. My previous firm was not on the cloud and it appeared we had more issues which I believe were related to our IT Department not always updating the software. The seamless updates are great. I would have like to have more written manuals for the software. When I originally started using Deltek there were general manuals for each module. I found these invaluable. The features and functionality is above what we need as a small firm. However, as we grow I can see were many of the functions we do not use will become invaluable. We have had to reach out to customer support for technical issues related to problems with individuals users and each time the technical support has been excellent and our problems solved quickly. We have never had an "outage" or problem accessing the software which is a big plus. While I would recommend this software to most firms, due to the cost of the software I would suggest smaller or start-up firms explore other options to see if their needs can be met through other software until the business is on solid ground.
Eric M.
April 11, 2017

“EMajor Civil Engineer Review of Deltek Vision”

OverallI have used many of the tools in Vision, including the new iAccess and am excited to see what continues to improve. I do have one wish that i hope could be granted and that is to have iAccess show the project task and phase (not just the number) when your cursor is in a cell to enter time, like it shows in Vision. That way it will allow a double check as a user enters their time, I have found more errors when team members are using iAccess because they may not realize they are entering a code for ROW in Phase 53 and it should have been Utilities in Phase 52. And the line chart showing actual and planned progress will become a great asset. Thanks
ProsEase of tracking time and ability to break down complex projects and filter billings.
ConsiAccess doesn't show a project description when entering cells, see comment in review
Recommendations to other buyersSee comment in review. thanks
Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees
November 14, 2018

“A workhorse with a lot more features than I ever use”

OverallI sometimes consider Deltek a necessary evil, but it is as good a software as I have seen and used.
ProsDeltek has been the tracking software of choice and previous firms I worked at. To me it is the standard for tracking time spent on projects and for tracking project performance. The ability to track an analyze multiple employees' input is beneficial. As a project manager, my interface was tracking and project planning. Accounting and management used Deltek extensively to track project and firm performance.
ConsDeltek can do a lot of things, and can easily get very confusing for staff who may not have extensive software training in its functionality.
November 14, 2018
Marie R.
October 12, 2017

“Great tool for project management and proposal preparation”

ProsI've used this software for at least 3 years now, it's great for many things like project management and proposal preparation. It allows you to store and organize so much info per each project you might be working on. In my case, we use it for architectural and engineering projects. We use it daily.
ConsThe platform is a bit outdated looking, but the software does its job which is organizing info. One of the main cons I would see is the creation of duplicates, this is a great issue when doing proposal preparation. Some people have read-only permissions but other who can edit often create duplicates, so a little maintenance needs to be done here and there.
October 12, 2017
Ashley M.
Civil Engineering, 1-10 employees

“Professional Engineering Firm”

OverallVision allows our firm to seamlessly track project progress and maintain our office system in a safe and convenient location. We have been able to reduce paper-waste by uploading invoices and A/P directly into Vision. User settings allow our employees quick access to items needed to complete their projects efficiently. We are definitely happy with Vision!
ProsEverything is very direct - you don't waste time looking for the program you need or wondering which program to utilize.
ConsSome of the features (ie - vacation accruals) are difficult to set without previous software programming experience.
Recommendations to other buyersKeep setup tied to a few select people - Vision doesn't notice duplicate entries (Vendors with the same name, similar names, etc...) , so it's easy for that to happen and go unnoticed.
Kevin N.
Finance Director
March 7, 2017

“Comprehensive software solution, but plan on building your processes around it”

OverallI've been the Vision champion in our organization since 2008 when we began to use it. Vision has been steadily improving over the past 10 years and also been getting left behind in innovation. Over our time with Vision we've evaluated other software at a few points and have not found a single solution that can provide a similar integrated experienced. The power of Vision and the reporting is built on Microsoft's SQL engine, but it does require users to be invested in learning it's use to get the most out of it. Without proper time devotion, training, and some trial and error it does leave users frustrated. Along with the power of the product comes a lot of over-complication and reported amounts that often aren't as expected or isn't fully explained or clear on where the data is coming from and what it means. This is probably the primary problem with Vision in my eyes - data labeled in one area of the program isn't the same as data reported under the same or very similar label in another part of the program. The end user experiences and ease of use is greatly lacking, but should be vastly improved as Vision is (finally) becoming modern and migrating from a .NET platform to a HTML/web-based platform. This upgrade shows promise of having better end user use and intuitiveness. We are hopeful that Vision will continue to be a tool for our company for many more years.
ProsPowerful reporting and a mostly, all-in-one solution for managing our firm and projects
ConsUsability. The lack of a user to be able to sit down with the product and pull the data they want without significant training. Data reported is calculated differently in part of the software - revenue in one area is actual billed amount while revenue in another is hours worked times billing rates.
Recommendations to other buyersInvest the time and outside help needed to properly setup the software and train your staff. Get management buy-in to reinforce frequent use then it becomes a very power, useful too.
Diane G.
Director of HR

“Deltek 2020”

OverallI have been a Deltek user for 25 years and have gone through many software changes from CFMS to Advantage to Deltek. Your team is very good with upgrades and now that we are in the Cloud, even better. We utilize your Knowledge base before we place a call for Chat. Your team members are very good at following up to make sure our question / concern was addressed. If I could add one thing to my wish list it would be a fully integrated HRMS module. Deltek's flexibility has enabled me to create my own, but a fully functioning module would be tremendous benefit for me.
ProsThe integration of data between departments. I also like the capabilities for user designed fields.
ConsSome integration has not been successful. Would like to carve out some time to address again.
Recommendations to other buyersVery user friendly.
Ifeoma O.
Developer
July 9, 2018

“Deltek makes us better manage project budget.”

ProsDeltek is easy to use ,thanks to the intuitiveness of its user interface. In time past we overly expended on projects to the extent that we crossed project budgets ,and thereby missed key project milestones. Since switching to Deltek over a year ago ,we have been able to better follow through with project budgets without overspending. Obviously having project planning, business development and Accounting together into one platform was very much helpful. We have been able to customize the Deltek Workflow to fit into the personal needs of my team ,thereby making much more effective.
ConsFrom experience so far , Delteck Vision expense reporting is flawed in the area of mobility , receipt uploads ,and ease of customization.
July 9, 2018
Cindy C.
Vice President
Construction, Unspecified
3.5/5
June 12, 2015

“Great integrated ERP solution for project-based business”

ProsThe product is designed for architects, engineers and project-based consultants and it does that very well. The best part to me is that it is a 360 degree solution from sales lead tracking to proposal creation to project accounting to overall company financial results and back again. It covers the entire project lifecycle and emphasizes how every piece of data from every stage of that cycle integrates and affects all the other stages. The vendor is great at taking customer feedback and working that in to future releases of its products.
ConsThe only difficult thing we have come across is due to the fact that our company is very small and the software is generally built for mid-sized companies. It means that many of the modules can be overkill for us and the training needs a bit more than we expected to use all the features, bells and whistles.
Recommendations to other buyersTalk to your peers and competitors about what they use and the triumphs and pitfalls they have had. Make sure you dedicate enough resources to properly train all users and get buy-in from leadership and a few key "power users"
June 12, 2015
Kelly C.
Administrative Assistant
March 30, 2017

“Great Program, Lots of Capability”

OverallWe are a small architecture firm and, honestly, Vision is probably way bigger than what we actually have needed in the past. That said however, we have really benefitted from the portions of the program that we do use and have used, and there are several new portions that we are just starting to grow into. Our experience with the customer service team has been great, they really take the time to work with you so you understand what you're doing, and the Quick Chat feature is great for those quick little questions you have from time
ProsThe capabilities are amazing.
ConsIt's a bit bulky. I wish that there was more of an "a la carte" way to use the program. We are a small design firm, and a good chunk of Vision isn't really anything we use.
March 30, 2017
Tiyana L.
Vice President - HR
11-50 employees
February 28, 2017

“You Need a Dedicated Coach with This Product”

OverallI love the Deltek Vision product, I just wish there was a dedicated person that could walk through every aspect with you. There are a lot of facets that I have to feel my way through and this creates a lack of confidence. Even when we get the help, I feel as if they are so well versed it is not always communicated in laymen's terms for the everyday person. Maybe having a person who is dedicated to helping a company through their process.
ProsA great variety of modules to help you in your business; creates some great reports (those that I am familiar with).
ConsWish there were tutorials with program. I have used You Tube videos to help out periodically.
Recommendations to other buyersSort of pricy but all the people behind the scenes have to be paid, so understood.
David G.
Civil Engineering, 5001-10,000 employees
November 6, 2018

“Deltek Vision Review for Engineers”

ProsEasy to keep track of time for consultants. Fairly easy to navigate through the system, but you need to use it all the time otherwise you'll forget. I like the fact that it predicts or can search for fields even if you don't have a full job number for a project. I also like that there is an APP for the software.
ConsTakes too long to load up. My android app also isn't so fast , and there isn't as many options available on the app as I would like (i.e. to read comments that people write before I approve their timesheet or expense sheet).
November 6, 2018
Eric P.
Consultant
Management Consulting, 201-500 employees
May 31, 2018

“I wish Deltek was more intuitive to use”

OverallI have not attempted to use Deltek for anything other than submitting my regular time sheet. I am aware that there are other uses which could potentially add value for a business.
ProsI use this project to keep track of my time sheet on a bi-weekly basis. I like that Deltek allows for comments to be entered under for each day so I can easily communicate to my supervisor all of the work that I did during the pay period.
ConsThere was a bit of a learning curve in regards to launching the application on my PC. It was not as intuitive as I had hoped it would be. I also sometimes experience difficulty when attempting to save the time sheet data I have entered in. This happens most often after my computer has been left idle with the application still running in the background.
May 31, 2018
Diana Y.
ERP Systems Analyst
February 22, 2018

“Project Based ERP”

ProsI love that this is a project based solution as well as the ability to customize the product. PM and accountants are able to clearly see every project and allows for easy out of the box project reporting. Customer service is also amazing.
ConsOur set up is a bit different, we have a lot of customization which sometimes affects the software's performance, but this is our own doing so we can't hold it against the product. The fact that it can be customized is a plus, the downside is you have to upgrade the custom(s) every time you want to upgrade or even apply the a CU.
February 22, 2018
Eric W.
Associate Director, Business Systems Support
Management Consulting, 201-500 employees
November 20, 2017

“The "Do It All" Project-Based ERP”

OverallDeltek Vision has quite the array of built-in configuration settings to allow any project-based consulting firm to tailor the software to their needs. One of my favorite things about Deltek Vision is that it gives me the ability to track and integrate critical business information through the use of the software's built-in custom information centers.
ProsCustomer Support, Extensibility, Built in Configuration Options, Vast Reporting Capabilities, Detailed Documentation, Full Project Life-Cycle Integration
ConsTo keep consulting costs to a minimum, it would be best to have an internal SME to get the most out of the product.
November 20, 2017
Jennifer G.
ERP Manager
Market Research, 201-500 employees
April 18, 2017

“Great Customizable Solution for Project Based Firms over 100 and growing”

OverallVision is an amazing tool that allows end users the ability to configure and customize the program to their needs. There are some limitations with what the SAAS / Cloud Option can do and definite delays with needing things done with when working with the Cloud Ops Team, however normal Customer Support is amazing. Definitely spend the money in consulting and developing the program prior to deployment, will save the organization money in the long run and make end users happy.
ProsConfigurable, fully integrated ERP, project based,
ConsBeing a cloud based customer, the delay in which the Cloud Operations team responds to issues and how they communicate.
April 18, 2017
Jennifer B.
Corp. Marketing Specialist

“Love Deltek Vision!”

OverallI have been using Deltek Vision for well over a decade. I love it! It's flexible, easy to use and completely customizable.
ProsThe flexibility. Ease of use.
ConsThe reporting feature. In my last job, where I also functioned database administrator, I used Crystal Reports (which I really liked) to create the reports I needed. In my new job, I don't have Crystal so I've been having to make do with the standard reports which aren't as customizable.
Recommendations to other buyersMake sure your firm has an advocate - a go-to person - for the software/database. Someone that's going to understand the depths of the data and repercussions of extreme customization.
Cathy C.
Operations Manager
Human Resources, 11-50 employees

“Very good!”

OverallIn my experience I have been happy overall with my Deltek Vision software. As a professional services firm, there are features I am hoping for that will make my job easier. Workflows are good but could be easier to build. The planning module is also good but needs more automated features......too manual at this point. Billing module for our firm is also very manual....takes 1 - 2 days to complete and post.
ProsIt takes the place of 4 separate systems and accessible from anywhere since its cloud based.
ConsAs a professional services firm it seems to be lacking in features for our processes.
Recommendations to other buyersRequest for more professional services features please.
Adam S.
CRM Consultant
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
March 25, 2017

“CRM Consultant”

OverallI have been using Deltek Vision for over 10 years and have seen many clients benefit greatly from its capabilities and features.
ProsCustom configuration capability is awesome. You don't have to be a programmer to learn how to set it up. Searching and reporting tools are second to none.
ConsSometimes the great amount of capability can be intimidating to customers. That is why I always recommend training for a successful implementation.
Recommendations to other buyersGive it a try and start with your largest priorities first. Talk to Deltek Vision customers to learn their success stories. Join a Deltek CRM User group to learn best practices.
March 25, 2017
cecilia k.
March 22, 2017

“My Vision experience”

Overallthis begins our 4th year of Vision use after a conversion from QuickBooks. there is no other software I'm aware of that has the project reporting capabilities that Vision does; sometimes it's a little overwhelming. It would be nice if some of the "standard' reports would be created a little different to become another standard report. On the minus side, our Project Managers have complained that you have to put the same information in too many places; that it would be nice if the same info flowed into all the other of Vision.
Proseverything is integrated: project, accounting, marketing, leads, conferences
Consdifferent elements can be very, very technical
March 22, 2017
Patrick V.
Director of Corporate Inspiration
Civil Engineering, 11-50 employees
March 20, 2017

“Inter-connectivity is a problem”

OverallConnecting CRM functions to MS Outlook is a continuous and long-term weakness (for over 10 years). Project planning connectivity to MS project is also very spotty - works sometimes, most of the time - it does not work. Reporting has always been a problem - not enough flexibility. Same for search capability - often fields are not available that are needed for proper selection of records. All of these issues have been raised many time via cases over the years - they never seem to get fixed.
ProsIt has powerful features - the connection between financial data and project planning is a real plus.
ConsLack of flexibility and inter-connectivity is a constant frustration.
Recommendations to other buyersNo
March 20, 2017
Ginger B.
Civil Engineering, 1-10 employees
February 28, 2017

“Searching for other solutions.”

OverallCustomer service used to be wonderful, but now, they want everything web based, so don't even try calling the 800 number. The web based portal takes ages to get a response: just upgrade your case immediately, or you are going to be waiting days for an answer. The software is getting too big to be useful for any one segment of the company, and requires a good deal more work than is necessary. There is a lot of duplicate entering needed. They do have a few support staff who have been there forever. Those people are worth their weight in gold. Yes. I know. This is a review, I shouldn't name names. But one of the rep is darn good, and patient, and gets you the correct answer. Maybe they'll give her a raise for this. Once you figure out how to get the information needed out of the software, it is reliable. Here is a for instance: in the Info Center, I can enter a budget in the project info center. Then, I can reenter a budget in the planning info center. Then, I can reenter a budget in the accounting. It would be nice if it was just something that would flow through. I have been doing accounting with Deltek for 14 years now: I have begun the search for a replacement software.
ProsReliability
ConsIt is getting clunky. Advantage, the predecessor to Vision, was easier to operate than Vision is. The customer service has also went down hill.
Recommendations to other buyersIt might be great for a company that has the resources to hire one person for each accounting function, say, one for AR, one for AP, one for budgeting, etc. If you only have a few people trying to run this software, it is about useless other than to do some basic accounting tracking. Don't bother buying the add ons like planning. They require another person.
Joseph M.
Senior Escalation Technician
11-50 employees
July 11, 2018

“Phenomenal support and very expansive software set ”

ProsVery responsive, very good support and never ending modules to make employees lives easier. We are currently using the Time and Expense mobile apps with little to no challenges. Setup took a bit of work but support was there ever step of the way. Any problem is corrected within hours instead of days.
ConsDue to the complexity and versatility it is not as point and click for install or use as some other products. This is a very welcome trade off for me and my company as the benefits outweigh the cons.
July 11, 2018
Nancy E.
Manager, Business Operations
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
March 29, 2017

“Deltek Vision Cloud SAS”

OverallI have been using Deltek Vision for approximately two years. Company provides professional services, so mainly T&E projects, a few fixed price projects. Integrated T&E and financials works very well. Standard reports provide most of what we need and have found customizing easy to do. Mainly using accounting, billing, T&E, reporting. Setting up new projects, new employees, new vendors, and new clients is pretty simple. However, some of the backend setup, such as Revenue Methods is complicated, so we've had to hire a consultant a couple of times. Deltek Customer Support has been great. Prompt response time and great follow up. No issues with system availability either.
ProsIntegrated T&E with financials.
ConsUser manual does not provide enough detail on configuration. Anything complicated requires use of a consultant.
LYNNE S.
Vice President Finance & Business Development
March 10, 2017

“DELTEK VISION”

OverallWe have found Deltek to be a great software program in many respects for our engineering company. Although there is a huge learning curve to get started it is well worth taking the time to learn the many facets available in making your everyday functioning in the office run smoothly.
ConsThe HELP is very difficult to understand at times ... someone should spend the time to make it 'helpful' and 'understandable'. It is very cumbersome and if you don't have other firms using the software, many times you are stuck for answers. We also think it is VERY costly!!!
Recommendations to other buyersMake it more affordable!! Have better support!
March 10, 2017
JANICE S.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 51-200 employees

“Happy Controller”

Overall5 years on Vision, accounting & payroll modules. We are moving to outsourced payroll. We have found the payroll module to be cumbersome and not as well supported as the rest of Vision. Simple problems that seem like easy fixes (ex. W-2 forms not lining up for preprinted forms), are not addressed. There seems little interest or support from Deltek, and it would be so nice to be able to have under one umbrella, but as employee reporting requirements (ACA) are increasing, we weren't comfortable to continue with the Payroll module as it exists.
ProsReporting, seamlessness between time/billing
ConsPayroll module Only available on explorer
November 9, 2017

“I have used this software to report time and expenses for many years.”

OverallIt captures time and expense data very thoroughly. I like that there is a field for every detail you would need to enter.
ProsWhen configured properly this software is very user friendly and intuitive. There are a lot of features that not everyone will need but certainly useful if you take the time to learn it.
ConsI can't think of anything I don't like about this software. The insert function inserts a new line item below instead of above the line selected but that is just a tiny bit annoying. I'm over it.