SimpleDiagrams Ratings

Overall
4.8/5
4.7/5
4.9/5

About SimpleDiagrams

On-premise solution that provides desktop diagramming through sketches of problems, processes, and workflows. Learn more about SimpleDiagrams

Matt G.
Trainer
Utilities, 51-200 employees
April 24, 2017

“Easy and simple with enough features.”

OverallI run training courses and write user manuals. Simple Diagrams contains all the features I need. Much easier to use than Visio or PowerPoint. Cheap enough for my business to purchase without a director's signature. Great support from the author, Daniel. Great selection of shapes by default and more libraries available quite cheaply, plus you can import your own shapes. The only downside is that the shapes are slightly cartoonish, which is perfect for schools, manuals, training, presentations, etc, but some people may find it too informal.
ProsEasy to use. Great selection of shapes and icons. Doesn't go wrong or crash.
ConsCan't have multiple files open at once, although each file can contain man diagrams in separate tabs.

By McQuillen Interactive on April 24, 2017
Thanks for your thoughtful review, Matt. Much appreciated. Note that you can pull in any SVG image you want that has a cleaner look (I often recommend users to search on IconFinder.com). But yes, I should do more to make full libraries of "clean" shapes available (Right now there's just one). Suggestion noted!
April 24, 2017
Salman K.
Managed Services
Utilities, 51-200 employees
March 28, 2017

“I Like it.... a lot!”

OverallThe programme Simple Diagram was introduced to me by a work colleague as I needed to create some work flows. SD offers a free trial for seven days, however, after a day I was happy to download and purchase the software. Easy to download and incredibly user friendly - this is a handy tool to have if you're heavily involved with presentations and supplying work aids.
ProsUser friendly
ConsThe scroll up / down bar is limited - for example if your flow chart is bigger than the screen size offered you either have to reduce the size or omit information.

By McQuillen Interactive on March 28, 2017
Thanks for the review, Salman. I'm glad you find SimpleD easy and friendly! Note that you can press space bar to get a "grab" cursor and pan through your diagram that way. Also, new in version 4 is the "quick nav" in the lower right corner of the screen, which allows yet another way to move around your document quickly. I noticed you didn't put any stars for customer support. Note that if you contact support, you get me, and I try to answer all support emails within a day. I hope if you ever do contact me, you're able to come back and add five stars on that one.
March 28, 2017
Mike C.
VP of Marketing
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
June 17, 2018

“Does exactly what it says: It's simple to create simple-looking diagrams. Perfect!”

OverallIt's quick and easy to create informal, accessible drawings for discussions with clients.
ProsThe neat and hand-drawn appearance of the conveys informality that generates discussions with clients, implies draft status, and makes material less intimidating. There's energy in the diagrams that something more formal wouldn't have. The ease of use is absolutely terrific. Even the curve drawing tool, difficult in most other packages, it just click and drag to stretch into the shape you want -- it's so easy!
ConsThere are two things main things I wish were better: The first is that if you stretch to enlarge an arrow drawing the arrow head is stretched and distorted. The big arrows are drawings and distort just like drawings. I wish they were somehow smarter. The second is that if you use a half-dozen boxes of a certain type, they're going to be identical. When you apply a certain hatch pattern to them, the pattern will be identical. This makes the drawings look a little less hand-drawn. I work around it by rotating the boxes, flipping them, or choosing similar shapes to mix it up a little.
June 17, 2018
Erin L.
Creative Director
March 11, 2016

“I love this!”

OverallI am ideas person! Love mind mapping - not outlining! People who have projects that are not linear - but very associative - where components are interconnecting in a way that writing paragraphs and descriptions about concepts gets too long and you lose people! Visuals are worth a thousand words! It helps me put the macro then the micro together and to share the concepting with others! CUTE iconography! Only "cons" to list, if there are any - I wish there were more people and computer icons. Like different age group demographic icons: moms, older people, students, business person, and the stuff they use in daily life - car, cellphone, ipad, computer, maybe a cool set of grunge quotation mark icons, like the brackets - love those! In sales process we are showing people and the things they use - how it makes their life easier - so having that visually helps to convey the interactivity. :) That's why. Really nice boxes and grunge sketch look - awesome!! I will check out the video and other components available for the upper level subscription. Very cool. Will incorporate some of this into my Prezi presentation! Fantastic tool.

By McQuillen Interactive on March 12, 2016
Thanks Erin! Glad find SimpleD helpful. I'm working on a feature that will let you directly import lots more shapes. Stay tuned...
March 11, 2016
Thomas B.
Editor
Higher Education, 1-10 employees
April 3, 2017

“A Productivity Tool With A Fun Attitude”

OverallSimpleDiagrams is fun to use, but it is by no means a program for passing time. If you want to create graphics that can be used in all kinds of presentations, this is the one to go for. Not only is it a quick learner's app, but it is also expandable in terms of artwork. And the support provided by the creator is second to none.
ProsEase of use, display formatting, expandability
ConsNothing to note.
Recommendations to other buyersMy review says it all.

By McQuillen Interactive on April 3, 2017
Thanks for your thoughtful review, Thomas. I'm glad you've found the app helpful!
April 3, 2017
Erin L.
Creative Director
Graphic Design, 1-10 employees
January 25, 2017

“Fantastic! Love this! Makes quick work of my presentation pitches!”

OverallI love this product! I use it when I need to quickly present concept-ing to a group, or fellow collaborator, and just want to use photo I pull from the web, the arrows, people icons, etc. - quickly conveys the project flow and function - roles of those involved. Love this! MAKE even MORE cute icons and people ! I would purchase them asap as an upgrade package! Very well done toolkit for creatives, thank you!
Prosease of use
Consnot much. would like more symbols for technology, people symbols - for volunteers (people raising their hands), sad people, satisfied people jumping,

By McQuillen Interactive on January 25, 2017
Awesome. Thanks Erin! Lots lots lots more shapes coming in v4....out soon. :-)
January 25, 2017
Walid Z.
Principal Consultant
Information Technology and Services, Unspecified
June 15, 2016

“WoW, I was urgently looking for something I do not know and I found this!”

Overalljust exactly what would you in need of, an enterprise architecture / Business Plan demonstration / Business Process Automation / Operational Performance Management / Workflow / Service Catalogue .. you name it ... it just puts a lot of condensed thoughts into a simple diagram! Genius!
Prosvery powerful and easy to use, can work with any svg, png, import custom libraries
Conscopy and paste (quality) / export PNG quality
Recommendations to other buyersbuy the software and contact Dan.
June 15, 2016
Dr Shaz N.
Writer
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
July 8, 2019

“Really good for teachers”

OverallQuick to learn, easy to use and fun, too. If I was still teaching, I'd still be using it. As I don't have to do presentations for myself, not so useful now.
ProsWhen I was a teacher I used this a lot to explain things simply. I don't use it now because I quit teaching, but for anyone doing presentations who can't find that key visual that captures what you want to say, this one's a must.
ConsWould like even more resources to tap into. It was a slow start, but there were far more when I quit than when I started.
July 8, 2019
Liz D.
CMO
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
March 2, 2017

“Love SimpleDiagrams”

OverallSimple Diagrams is great. Perfect for when you want to convey a serious message with a light touch. It's easy to use and gives diagrams and presentations a fresh, engaging appearance. Only teeny-tiny niggle is some of the pop-ups are a bit blurry on my Mac. However, this hasn't stopped me using and loving SimpleDiagrams.
ProsThe hand-drawn appearance of icons.
ConsTeeny niggle is blurriness of some menus (e.g. Finder) on Mac.

By McQuillen Interactive on March 14, 2017
Thanks Liz! So glad you find the app useful. Based on your email to me, sounds like that blurry issue was from a past version. Let me know if you have any other issues using the app.
March 2, 2017
Jenny M.
Freelance Content Writer
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
April 26, 2019

“Hand-drawn diagrams that get your ideas across”

OverallSD allowed me to map out my ideas in a clear and casual way that's easy to create.
ProsThe name pretty much says it all. This software lets you put together simple diagrams that don't look overly polished or corporate. My brand is mostly friendly and casual so I particularly love the hand-drawn look as it's informal yet clear. So far I'm happy with what this product offers. It was easy to download and the interface is easy-to-use. It's been useful to provide visual aids for my clients and I even use it for personal projects where I need to map out my ideas. Price is reasonable too!
ConsNot much aside from having a wider selection of shapes and symbols. Possibly more export options.
April 26, 2019
Andrzej M.
Security Officer
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
November 3, 2017

“Best fast-making, great-looking & explain-everything-on-screens tool.”

OverallTime saved to create simple & fast clear picture with info i wanted to share.
ProsEasy to use, customizable, stable tool. The fact that you can create your own libraries is best for me.
ConsSo far I found nothing to complain about, and I am a user since the first release. I am not considering this as a constraint - but you need to accept this app as not a standalone one but you need Adobe Air.
November 3, 2017
Bal S.
March 3, 2015

“Fantastic software”

OverallI have been using SD for a long time now - since version 1. I've upgraded with every release so far. I consider it an essential part of my graphics toolkit. It is fast, lean, and has combinations of unique shapes and backgrounds that enable me to make distinctive sketches that could take more time in other software, like Visio (which I also have and like). The customer service provided by Daniel McQuillen is superb. Every question I have ever asked has been quickly responded to. My suggestions might or might not be implemented, but they are always received with respect. I can't ask for better. And the price makes this tool affordable for me. This is a piece of software I strongly recommend - without reservation.
March 3, 2015
Jacques-Yves B.
CTO
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
April 16, 2019

“Excellent software. Easy to use. Intuitive.”

ProsEasily start doing the most important thing: create a model of your ideas that you can rapidly share and put to the test. Simple beautiful object design.
ConsWould like have automatic lines showing up to help align objects easily.
April 16, 2019
Suresh P.
January 27, 2017

“Teaxan-SimpleDiagrams”

OverallSimpleDiagrams is a well-designed software program based on Adobe's light-weight Air platform that can help you to quickly describe your thoughts or capture a process - visually. The paid version gives you access to additional symbol libraries, the ability to export your diagrams to XML, Basecamp and Yammer, and rights to install SimpleDiagrams on up to 3 computers. Because it is built using Adobe Air, you can run it on any Windows, Mac or Linux PC
January 27, 2017
Rui B.
Specialized Consultant
Utilities, 10,001+ employees
August 10, 2018

“Simple and attractive”

OverallBasically I was looking for a different visual approach to process diagramming and presentation, to help create an unconscious break with the past approach to processes
ProsEasy to use and interesting shapes make it different from Visio and other diagramming tools, a more "hand drawn" style. And it is inexpensive
ConsA small thing, drag with the control key pressed does not copy the shape ;) - yes, I know it is a powerpoint/.. thing, but already present muscle memory means that it would speed up diagram creation.
August 10, 2018
Jamie P.
Managing Partner
October 29, 2017

“Fill a Great Need”

ProsThe software performs as expected. Easy to use. Love it. There really isn't anything on the market that allows you to produce hand-drawn style imagery as easily. I used this to illustrate my most recent book - Unicorn Tears.
ConsBetter image setup and export options. The new diagram dialog box needs to be clearer and the options need to be better explained. The export diagram box also could be friendlier and higher res export options should be available.
October 29, 2017
David P.
April 10, 2017

“Text orientation”

OverallIt would be nice if the text stayed horizontal if we rotate an object. I may have missed this, but that is my initial thought. Will keep testing it.

By McQuillen Interactive on April 16, 2017
Hi David. Thanks for your feedback. You could always create a "Complex shape" with the shape in question together with a text box. Then double-click that complex shape to edit the internal shape (for rotations, etc.)
April 10, 2017
Mark S.
August 15, 2015

“Extends the mind, prevents the mouth getting in the way!”

OverallFinally, i have a way to share a "simple" idea with clients. In the fog of digital marketing, having clear diagrams has helped immensely, and in the first client side application, this software helped us land a major retainer client. I've upgraded, and its awesome!

By McQuillen Interactive on August 16, 2015
Glad to hear that simple and clear visuals are helping you communicate with your clients, Mark!
August 15, 2015
Judy o.
July 2, 2015

“A great gem to find”

OverallAfter downloading the trial I didn't have to think twice to buy SD, or even wait, and it stayed in the dock. Not many apps do. SD is quick, easy, intuitive, fun, versatile and the custom shape capability opens up so much potential. I have already created a couple of sets a few days in to owning the software. I look forward to working with it in earnest.
July 2, 2015
Mark G.
March 8, 2016

“Super easy to use, straight forward functionality, stellar support!”

OverallDid I mention the stellar support? Within minutes I was able to begin modeling processes and web page wire diagrams. A couple years back I had an issue with running it on my MacBook, but that all works great now. I've never experienced such timely, competent support with any other software product.
March 8, 2016
Samantha P.
Planner
March 9, 2016

“Wow, I am so happy I found Simple Diagrams”

OverallI am in the process of launching my visual creative planning business and completely in love with Simple Diagrams. The software is easy to use and has such simple yet stylish design. I can't wait to use the software to help my clients soon.
March 9, 2016
Alyx P.
Head of Operations
November 10, 2015

“A Great Resource!”

OverallSimpleDiagrams rocks! It is easy and fun to use, and has become an essential part of my workspace. I don't know how or why I ever lived without it! It is reasonably priced, flexible, and did I mention fun? Thank you for creating such a wonderful product!

By McQuillen Interactive on November 10, 2015
Thanks Alyx!
November 10, 2015
Jeff B.
March 30, 2015

“Great product!”

OverallI'm not much of an artist which is why I really like this product. It's simple to use and offers an array of creative versatility to choose from. I like how the diagrams tend to stand out from other generic sketches on the web.

By McQuillen Interactive on March 30, 2015
Thanks Jeff! I try to keep SimpleD easy to use.
March 30, 2015
Sze Yuen W.
January 24, 2016

“Any library for creating map ?”

OverallSimple Diagrams is a very good and easy tool for use. How, I can not find any library or tool for creating the roads or junction of a simple sketch of map. See if later version can achieve this.
January 24, 2016
Simone B.
Proprietario
October 7, 2017

“Very usefull application”

ProsEasy to use. Is simple, is complete, is very very beautifull application. I'm happy when use it. Thanks
October 7, 2017
Mark H.
January 15, 2016

“Diagrams are visually appealing!”

OverallHave received numerous compliments on visually appealing style of the diagrams in my presentations. They "pop" on the screen, compared to typical powerpoint-style diagrams.
January 15, 2016
Rob C.
None
March 21, 2016

“I like it and learned to effectively use it in a few minutes.”

OverallI like it. It does its job well and helps me get organized by having me write down my thoughts. I more easily remember what is going on.
March 21, 2016
Hans N.
April 28, 2015

“Well designed (SW and shapes), open, flexible”

OverallVery handy solution with fun factor. Great concept (support of user libraries, SVG graphics). And an open minded and repsonive developer. Excellent price/value ratio!
April 28, 2015
MALCOLM M.
March 13, 2016

“New to SD but really like it. Nice work.”

OverallNew to SD but really like it. I have not had time to dig deep, but make really nice informal flow charts.
March 13, 2016
Peyman Y.
November 17, 2015

“Amazingly simple”

OverallThis is a tool that can make communication much simpler. Easy to use, reliable, and balanced price.
November 17, 2015
Computer Software, 201-500 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
December 14, 2018

“Love this app for charts!”

ProsIt's so easy to use. The UI is great and very intuitive. It's super easy to brainstorm with and make flow charts.
ConsIt's a paid product. There are other products that do the same thing for free. I also like LucidChart as another option
December 14, 2018