Sling Ratings

Overall

About Sling

Sling is a free scheduling and communication software for companies where employees work on shifts. Sling is built around four features: shifts, tasks, messages and newsfeed, it allows managers to organize all aspects of their work on a single platform. Learn more about Sling

Jamie W.
Coordinator of Production Services and Facilities
Events Services, 11-50 employees
October 12, 2017

“Great scheduling system for decentralized team”

OverallOur schedule and our employees' availabilities are fluid. Sling! is able to keep up without even breaking a sweat. My employees love the mobile app, which can push reminders about scheduled shifts. I love that my employees show up on time, because Sling! can push reminders about scheduled shifts. I managed to get by before I discovered Sling!, but I honestly can't remember how. I'm able to spend so much more time doing the work now that I don't have to chase my employees down to get them scheduled to work.
ProsThe mobile app is what makes this package great. My employees love the push notifications when new shifts are posted. We have a variable schedule and a student workforce. Our MO is to post available shifts when we need people to work. Sling! lets our students apply for as many or as few shifts as they like. We can then approve individuals to put our team for the day together based on the skills of those who have applied and the needs of the tasks at hand.
ConsThere is no view available that visually groups like time blocks into shifts. Our shifts don't follow a set schedule, but we often need more than one person to work the same time block on a given day. There are now several features to help you save time when scheduling things like this. For example, you can copy shifts to avoid having to enter all of the same details multiple times, and you can select several different positions when creating a shift, but once created, each person shows up as their own event on the schedule. If I've got a half dozen different people working for each of four different time blocks on a single day, the calendar starts to get a little overwhelming with 24 separate events represented. If there was a way to group like time blocks into shifts with multiple employees assigned, this example would be down to 4 separate events, which is much easier to quickly get your head around.
October 12, 2017
Marlesha K.
Math Learning Center Specialist
September 8, 2017

“GREAT for managing many employees with unusual/atypical Shifts. Very scaleable, efficiency improves.”

ProsSo many 'Pros'!! -- - supports multiple work sites/locations. - supports different employee roles/titles. - supports large (unlimited?) number of employees. - can 'deactivate' employees & then reinstate them at a later date (no need to delete the employee's entire profile). - There are even more 'Pros' that we haven't fully explored yet, such as employees communicating with each other through the app to arrange shift swaps, etc. So much potential!! I work at a college Math Learning Center where we provide additional assistance to students seeking extra math support. Having a scheduling app/software that can manage many employees with atypical/changing/unusual shifts is crucial!! We employ both full-time permanent staff and temporary students tutors and with our temporary staff we have a lot of turnover as students come-and-go. Thus we have changes to the schedule constantly. So for us, a dynamic system is a must. The Sling support staff is also very responsive and open to suggestions and ideas. Some of my suggestions have been incorporated, such as being able to included a 'break' duration for a shift which then is subtracted from the shift hour total. These changes have made Sling even more useful! I am so thrilled to have found this FREE scheduling web application. We don't have the budget to pay for a scheduling software/app, yet we needed a tool that could handle our very specific and complicated needs. We found it in Sling!!
Cons- Would like to be able to add more details about each employee, such as customized checkboxes for employee 'expertise'. (There is a 'notes' section for each employee profile, which is nice.) - Be able to make tags/notes for certain dates, such as 'holiday' or 'extended day' to remind the scheduler of different scheduling needs. - Have a shift-responsibilities designation option, such as 'Opener' or 'Closer' - Would like to be able to 'collapse' some of the hours from view and/or designate a viewing window that shows only when our center is open (must be unique by location). Though being able to schedule shifts beyond 'operating hours' is needed (set-up, take-down time) but many hours before and after our operating hours don't need to be displayed. - Would like there to be a way to designate general staff 'types' (i.e. permanent vs temporary) not just different employee position. A Permanent staff member had additional responsibilities and must be staffed at all times, so being able to look at the shifts of just Permanent staff would be beneficial. - More customizable options for the print-view. All these cons, if addressed, would just be icing on the cake. The app, as it is now, is completely functional and covers all the necessities and more!
September 8, 2017
Retail, Self-employed
May 18, 2019

“Sling a must to check it out.”

OverallMy personal feelings after having to pay such high prices for cable channels on the market we just had to drop them. Someone told us about sling and to try it. We love it. We will stick with sling for a long time. And to enjoy all the channels for cheap prices and affordable. Check it out and try it. Highly recommended Sling.
ProsSling is a great program. We have been with sling for 3 years now. We love sling. It better than spectrum for cable. Sling is way cheaper than any cable on market unless you go annetena. In order to use sling we had to buy roku to get sling for our tv. Sling programs offers very good rates for cable channels and more. Sling also offers dvr for any channel they have. My favorite channel is hallmark. Sling offers 3 hallmark channels that i never knew was on market. So being on a budget this was good buy and reasonable. Just to enjoy sling. I highly recommend it to anyone that is on a budget.
ConsI don't have any complaints or downfall with sling. I am very happy and pleased with sling. I don't know what i do without sling program. It great program and you can't go wrong with sling.
May 18, 2019
Hospitality, Unspecified
April 25, 2018

“Great Scheduling app with tons of potential”

ProsVery easy to use, lots of view options and adjustments, fairly clean interface, amazing features for free. Amazing that you can drag and drop, use keyboard shortcuts to copy shifts. UI is fairly full featured! Mobile apps are great, notifications are amazing.
ConsWe have multiple managers using Sling, and one annoyance is that we can't see each other's unpublished shifts. We end up using each other's accounts to see and adjust shifts. The messaging app seems like it would work really well, but we already use another way to communicate (Slack, FB messenger, WhatsApp are all viable and free). Same goes with Tasks and Newsfeed. I would've preferred the Clock in/out as an included feature over Tasks, Messages, and Newsfeed. Beggers can't be choosers though! I tried to contact Sling for interfaces, but got no response. Would like to know some of the interfaces they've already developed to be in the Premium prices.
April 25, 2018
john t.
CFO
Security and Investigations, 11-50 employees
August 28, 2019

“Best scheduling app out there”

OverallIt truly has been a real asset for our business, I really believe we would be lost without this fantastic software.
ProsClocking in works great with SLING, scheduling and the employee interaction with the app is fantastic!
ConsGetting use to messaging for help, were all used to calling someone. I found it works great and the response time is quick and responsive.
August 28, 2019
Rebekah P.
Enrollment counselor
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
July 25, 2019

“Sling - scheduling made easy!”

OverallOverall, I have really enjoyed Sling. It has helped me keep track of my own personal schedule
ProsSling makes creating your schedule so easy. Personally, I travel a lot for my job, so being able to track each hour of my day through sling has made things much easier. I also like how easy it is to just request time off for vacation and medical!
ConsCan't really see other team members shifts, so it makes it hard to keep track of what other team members schedules look like through out the day. It would be great to have more of a view.
July 25, 2019
Real Estate, 501-1000 employees
April 3, 2019

“Excellent time management tool”

OverallUsing Sling, we're able to correspond with our staff more effectively and schedule more efficiently. It keeps payroll costs in budget and keeps employees happy...No complaints!
ProsIn my office, we have a different platform already in place for time tracking, but Sling was recommended to us as a scheduling service. It works great! At no cost, we can allow our employees to request hours, we can assign shifts, and we can communicate schedules to our staff. It's helped us to keep our payroll costs in check at no additional cost. If we had the opportunity to switch to Sling for actual time tracking as well, we'd probably consider it.
ConsNo cons. I like the features, the interface, and the pricing model. If there's any con at all, it's that Sling can give information so freely that it at times becomes redundant.
April 3, 2019
Nicole W.
Human Resources
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 51-200 employees
October 24, 2018

“Helpful and Cost Effective ”

ProsMy company uses the free version of Sling, and for something that is cost free it's really wonderful. It's easy to navigate, and the messaging system has come in handy for us when our main method of communication (Slack) is down. We've tried several other paid and unpaid employee scheduling programs, and Sling has been the best one by far.
ConsThe only issue we have is that despite how many times we click "publish all future shifts", we still have to publish each new weeks shifts so that everyone can see. This is a very minor inconvenience though, as it's easy to quickly publish shifts.
October 24, 2018
Georgeanna C.
Director of Operations
Events Services, 11-50 employees
May 10, 2019

“Terrific Scheduling/Time Clock Tool”

ProsSling offers the flexibility to schedule and track staffing for irregular events (catering) with ease. I can also track actual hours worked vs my budget and schedule. Tremendously helpful. Their support has been very responsive, too.
ConsNot much I would change! The only issue my team and I have experienced is that the notifications can be excessive, e.g. if I post a month work of events, staff who are eligible for multiple positions will get dozens of notifications. It'd be nice if there was an option to get a notice of updates, but a digest of the details.
May 10, 2019
Maddie W.
LEasing and Marketing Manager
Real Estate, 1001-5000 employees
May 21, 2019

“Sling - Multiple Employee Scheduling”

ProsI like sling because of all the different customization options they give you. You can group people by position and schedule them easily. This is he best scheduling app I have used so far. You can see how many hours you've schedule for each position per day and per week and that is very helpful.
ConsOne thing I do not like about sling is that adding in the shifts each month/week can get pretty tedious. Also, it is very easy to delete all shifts for one person when you only meant to delete one.
May 21, 2019
Teresa A.
Vacation Rental Manager
Hospitality, 1-10 employees
September 10, 2019

“Sling was perfect for our needs”

ProsI love being able to completely customize shifts and even have them color coded. Everything was exceptionally easy and didn't require a training day to show employees how to use it. The ability to pull reports for payroll and other financial figures was a huge time-saver for us. Customer service is readily available and even friendly in emails.
ConsI honestly have no complaints and just hope it stays the same a nice long time.
September 10, 2019
Aurora N.
Kids Manager
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
November 24, 2018

“Sling for Managing Teams”

OverallHas helped me manage a team of 70 with constantly changing shifts (days/times)
ProsLove this products ease of use and ability to manage a large team schedule. Allos you to code people for different positions, set recurring shift times and even has a group chat to easily send out team notifications ect. Send each person's schedule directly to their phone. Great for managing a younger demographic.
ConsThere is no way for the team member to post a shift for coverage, everything has to be done by the manager (this could also be a pro, depending on what your looking for)
November 24, 2018
Logan C.
dentist
Medical Practice, 51-200 employees
August 19, 2019

“SUPER!”

OverallI love it and its been nothing but a benefit to us. Giving us all we need and nothing more and nothing less for a great price
ProslOVE IT! Cant say enough, ease of use, and bang for the buck! It covers all of our needs and saves us... amn probably 80% of what we were paying for a lesser product
ConsSometimes it can run slow but I think that's more having to do with my internet connection not SLING.
August 19, 2019
Matt F.
Store Manager
Retail, 11-50 employees
September 20, 2018

“Overall a great scheduling program”

ProsThe ability to completely get away from paper scheduling for my employees is great, and if a change is made they are all alerted through the website and mobile app. No matter where I am, I always no who is scheduled and can use my phone or tablet to manage all of it.
ConsIt is a bit cumbersome to copy and paste multiple weeks of schedules at a time.
September 20, 2018
Noora C.
Community Coordinator
Restaurants, 11-50 employees
October 7, 2016

“Great Company-Wide Communication Tool”

OverallSling is an awesome free program that makes company-wide communication a breeze. It's similar to an internal Facebook, with a newsfeed, messaging and contact lists. We were having communication issues between our three restaurants and Sling helped solve the issue tremendously. When you post on the newsfeed you can see who viewed the post which is great for accountability. It also has scheduling which they are continously adding updates to but we do not use that aspect as we ran into a few complications when trying to save templates for three different locations. It's great because it's an app so you can use the instant messaging to contact one another without needing to exchange phone numbers.
October 7, 2016
Morgan B.
Property Manager
Commercial Real Estate, 11-50 employees
June 21, 2019

“Better Organize Your Schedule”

OverallI used Sling to coordinate and schedule individuals canvassing for a political party. There could not have been a more simple way to run the campaign and I have used it in several campaigns over the past few years.
ProsEasy to quickly see schedule, Digital sharing among employees, Adjustments are quick and immediately seen, User friendly, High quality app
ConsAll changes have to be approved by an administrator, it would be convenient if my employees were able to trade shifts themselves without the approval. I wish there was a "low priority" setting that would allow this change. There were some difficulties using the software between different phone providers depending on how good the service was in the area.
June 21, 2019
Veterinary, 51-200 employees
December 4, 2018

“Excellent solution for scheduling, time clock, and company-wide communication”

OverallSling has been an excellent addition to our company's set of software. I would recommend Sling to any SMB.
ProsEase of use Customer support Strong scheduling platform Strong time clock platform Numerous communication and task solutions
ConsCan't run payroll directly through it - yet!
Jason K.
Imaging Scientist
Research, 201-500 employees
August 10, 2019

“Decent event scheduler for medium sized groups”

ProsAbility to organize events for a medium sized group and share documents between participants.
ConsEmail notifications did not work as reliably as wished for - either that or it was too easy to mess up notification settings.
August 10, 2019
Construction, 51-200 employees
May 30, 2018

“Love this scheduler for our team!!”

ProsI love how easy it is to track unavailability, submit time off requests, see others who are scheduled, and communicate with them all in one platform.
ConsI wish I could search availability of just ONE other user. Right now I can see mine or I can see full schedule, including everyone's "unavailability." I wish there was a "scheduled" option or just ONE person's option.
May 30, 2018
Cosmetics, 11-50 employees
January 14, 2019

“Best scheduling software I have used”

OverallUsed this software at multiple jobs and the ease of use is exemplary as well as the features are very useful as an employee.
ProsThe feature where it lets you offer shifts and have shifts covered all with the click of a button. No more text or phone calls to co workers asking for shift coverage!
ConsSlight learning curve to learn all of the features. I reccomend a group training.
January 14, 2019
kyle j.
TAC
Telecommunications, 51-200 employees
September 13, 2018

“Sling Review”

ProsI love how i can see which co-workers are going to be in, and which ones need shifts covered, as well as seeing when Overtime is approved, without having to call and ask someone
ConsI feel like they could make it more simple, or less cluttered. I also wish that i could set my default view of my schedule to month rather than weekly
September 13, 2018
Dan H.
NOC Supervisor
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
May 2, 2017

“Amazingly easy to use shift scheduler and perfectly integrated chat/announcement functions”

OverallScheduling shifts for our NOC is finally easy, and our ability to communicate across multiple shifts has vastly improved.
ProsI am the supervisor of a NOC with 24x7 shifts 356 days. We recently replaced our old scheduling software with Sling. From the very first mouse click we have been overwhelmed with how happy we are with this software. Shift function: Ease of use - We re-created our schedule in minutes. Its easy to read and track. Message function: Ease of mass communication - With an easy to use app on our phones and a simple messaging area, we have now replaced SLACK
ConsTasks Function: Lack of functionality - The task schedule does not support large teams very well. We have decided to not use this function at this time.
May 2, 2017
Thea E.
VP for IT
Construction, 201-500 employees
September 21, 2018

“Workforce management in the cloud”

ProsI enjoyed testing this software - it's good for workforce management and staff load distribution. It has a lot of features that will make a project manager enjoy it a lot. I also like the flexibility it offer for recurring scheduling. I have tried other tools, but their is easier to use in terms of recurring scheduling. The price is also reasonable and it offers free trial, which is really cool. I haven't used the part where you could compute the labor rates, which I'm pretty sure it would be awesome to use too, makes billing a lot easier.
ConsWe tried to use this tool for the project scheduler, however, it was quite challenging, as we were dealing with 200+ people at that time. If you only have 1 person doing the tracking, I wouldn't recommend it. It'll be a lot of work for 1 person. Sling offers too many options that you'd like to use them all to make the most of the really good price that they offer.
September 21, 2018
JaVon A.
General Manager
Restaurants, 10,001+ employees
January 18, 2019

“Sling - JA”

ProsSling allows a business to schedule employees and allows the employees to use a similar software to view their schedules making everyone's lives easier.
ConsI feel as though Sling is missing a lot of features for companies such as mine.
January 18, 2019
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees

“Great for work”

ProsThis software makes work scheduling very easy. Great also for messaging coworkers
ConsNo issues at all. Everything has worked fine as long as I've used this.
Jackie M.
Dietary Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees
February 27, 2017

“Employee Scheduling Made Easy!”

OverallBy far, the BEST scheduling program I have found. I must say, I do wonder how long it will remain free. It's a great product and certainly deserving of a monthly cost affordable to small business as well as large corporations. I owned a computer company in the Boston area for over 15 years--I've seen a lot of software. Again, this is ONE OF THE BEST I've come across in a long time. I've moved on to Assisted Living Dietary Management and scheduling my employees on this has made my life so much easier!
ProsI love everything about it. It's so simple to use.
ConsHaven't found one yet.
February 27, 2017
Ken W.
Safety Officer
Government Administration, 51-200 employees
May 11, 2019

“Sling”

ProsThe streaming quality is excellent and the ease in moving through the software is extremely easy.
ConsThe choices in building packages that are cost effective.
May 11, 2019
MELISSA B.
HR
Security and Investigations, 201-500 employees

“Scheduling made easy”

Overallstill a great program
ProsThis program allows us to schedule our on call people and have the updates sent to them right away. This keeps communication flowing and everybody in the know at all times. Multiple user access also makes it easy for remote access changes to happen.
ConsThere is not a way to send individual schedules to each employee, it only goes out as a whole and the individuals must locate themselves within it.
Brittany D.
Teacher
Education Management, 11-50 employees
August 18, 2019

“Sling has been great so far! ”

OverallOverall sling has been the best team communication that I have experienced.
ProsI like that everyone on my team is able to communicate at the same time and no one misses anything. It's way better than normal emails since sometimes a colleague could be left out of the communication.
ConsI don't like that you can't turn on a sleep mode. I get a notification anytime someone replies and it could be all times of the night.
August 18, 2019
Entertainment, 51-200 employees
June 1, 2019

“Sling”

OverallGreat! Awesome for scheduling and knowing what is going on with the company as whole.
ProsSling has an awesome dashboard where you get alerts on open shifts, your next shift, and messages from your boss/scheduler. It is simple to navigate, request time off, and offer up shifts if need be.
ConsThere are a lot of alerts/notifications. Some are necessary, so you don't want to turn them off, but others are a little extraneous.
June 1, 2019
Katarina S.
Marketing and Social Media Specialist
Entertainment, 11-50 employees
January 8, 2019

“Very high functioning PM software”

OverallProject management issues are being solved, and communication
ProsI like that you can create your own schedules within Sling, as well as look at the overall schedule. It helps as a manager because I am able to see when employees request time off, I can see all my tasks, etc.
ConsThere's a bit of a learning curb when you first start to learn Sling. However, once you've used it a few times, you'll get used to it.
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
September 22, 2018

“I never missed my shift”

ProsMy boss used Sling to organize our shifts. I always knew when I work and never missed my shift and always knew with which colleague I work that day.
ConsThere's nothing I have noticed as a flaw to this software-it simply helps me organize my time. Maybe an interesting feature would be to ping boss when he forgets to fill shifts for that or next week. This way we can only call him and ask to do so.
JC B.
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
December 3, 2017

“Great tool to organise a team roster”

OverallBetter view on what the team is working on, especially as we had to coordinate two teams based in two different countries and sharing common resources.
ProsGreat view on the whole team schedule when you need to organise time slots. Great free plan to get started.
ConsThe UX could be better : some of the features are difficult to find and the UI is a bit dull compared to other platforms in the same category.
December 3, 2017
Josephine-Marie M.
IT HELP desk
June 27, 2018

“Not the best of software”

Proswhat I do like about this software is if you don't have one of your coworkers number you can go on there and message them. Also it gives you your schedule when you work on a month to month basics.
ConsWhat I don't like is that I have the app and I don't get notifications about it also when I want to pick up a shift it doesn't add it to my calendar so if I forget I wouldn't know if I did pick it up until I get a call.
June 27, 2018
Muhammad K.
Assistant Manager
Sporting Goods, 501-1000 employees
February 7, 2018

“The best software/tool for shift scheduling. Very easy to use/user friendly. ”

OverallAll HR and shifts work done here for free
ProsIt has every thing you can think of. Easy interface, mobile app, notifications, set employee role and tells you the total hours done by the team and a lot more. The best part is its totally free
February 7, 2018
Damien M.
Tech Engineer
Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees

“Nice to have”

OverallGreat
ProsEasy to use and helpful. Great for scheduling!!!
ConsLess tabs, so much is going on. HAve to juggle hwre everthing is and would be nice to have it more organized
Luke M.
Security Director
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1000 employees
June 21, 2018

“helps get messages out in a timely manner”

OverallEase of use, Timely, enhances communication of dept.
ProsSling helped our department by getting important memos across to all staff members. We use it to communicate to all staff, no matter the shift they work. They download the information/app on their phones and we can communicate and send information at once. This also avoids those stupid group chat annoyances.
ConsI wish this would let us send files (large files). This way I could post my department meetings to those that missed the meeting and have them look over the slides.
June 21, 2018
Tina L.
maintenance supervisor
Real Estate, 201-500 employees
December 5, 2018

“Sling a good thing ”

Proswas easy to install and easy to learn didnt take much time to do simple steps
Consnot really many cons just took a minute or two to get the hang of it
December 5, 2018
April M.
Social worker
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
February 15, 2019

“Sling online schedule”

ProsThis program is wonderful. It has helped our employees be able to access their schedules from home or in the go. We no longer rely on paper schedules. The best benefit is a decrease in employees coming to work late or missing a shift!
ConsNo complaints, the free program does everything our business needs.
February 15, 2019
Derek C.
Supervisor
Security and Investigations, 201-500 employees
August 4, 2018

“Great Schedule Management”

ProsThe program is incredibly user friendly.
ConsIt isn't an industrial grade product that can be used as a primary scheduling tool.
August 4, 2018
Ronald L.
dadas
Entertainment, 11-50 employees
July 16, 2019

“Looking to cord cut? Not a bad option. ”

ProsWatch TV on multiple devices. Get a free trial to try is out and see if it a good option before you fully commit.
ConsNot the ala carte tv experience you would expect. Still have to choose between certain packages. Anything else you want you need to pay extra.
July 16, 2019
Geraldine S.
Gerente general de proyectos
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
October 9, 2018

“Great Schedule system for remote workers ”

OverallExcellent product very complete for a free application
ProsIts perfect cause of the unlimited number of employees you can manage from there and the mobile app makes it even more perfect for all kinds of workforces because they can have there scheduled at their phones and be able to change shifts and talk with the working group about it
Consit will be nicer if we can add some tag or notes to de tasks and shifts specifications
October 9, 2018
Heimir H.
Distributor
May 19, 2016

“Very good and simple.”

OverallWe use shifts and messages part of the software. It took us very little time to get the staff on board and now I don´t think we can go back to our old way of using excel and email. We have sent in some questions and they answered them within hours of us sending them in.
May 19, 2016
Brian T.
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
March 16, 2019

“Good alternative to cable”

ProsSling offers a large selection of channels at a very good price.
ConsStreaming is not always perfect. It occasionally pauses and buffers.
March 16, 2019
Jackie T.
Pain Clinic Team Leader
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
November 14, 2018

“Sling Scheduling”

ProsVery excited as I am trying to find a more efficient way to schedule.
ConsUnsure at this time, however I have no concerns at this time
November 14, 2018
BC M.
Operations
April 4, 2018

“Sling is straight forward and simple”

ProsWe love that it is very simple and easy to use. Extremely user friends and great for small business owners!
ConsWe have only used a sling for a short period of time. That being said we haven't found any negatives with the software just yet.
April 4, 2018
Djordje B.
Junior Software Developer
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
September 27, 2018

“Good for sheduling”

ProsGreat for organizing remote work. It's also free.
ConsPhone app could be a bit better optimized.
September 27, 2018