Shoeboxed Ratings

Overall

About Shoeboxed

Shoeboxed is easiest way for your business to track expenses. Submit receipts using their mobile app, eReceipt uploader, or prepaid mail-in envelopes. Shoeboxed then scans, data enters, and categorizes everything into a secure, searchable online account that is accepted by the IRS. Plans start at $29 per month. Learn more about Shoeboxed

Adam C.
Events Services, 11-50 employees
May 1, 2018

“Great foundation for receipt and document management, but needs additional development.”

ProsThe ease of importing receipts is excellent. Being able to stuff receipts and documents into an envelope weekly or bi-weekly and just watch them magically show up in a file management system is great. The email inbox sync, drag and drop from desktop, and manual email submission are all excellent, easy to use submission formats as well. I think what this app needs to take file submission to the next level is a desktop app that would allow the user to view and manage files, but also has a print driver that would allow the user to print forms and reports directly into Shoeboxed from other programs. We save a lot of reports from Quickbooks and other software and instead of printing to PDF, creating a file on the desktop, and dragging it into the uploader, it would save hours per month to be able to print directly to a Shoeboxed desktop app.
ConsI only have two real complaints about the product--one is about the function of the product itself and one is about access to customer service. There needs to be more control over file management. Right now all receipts get uploaded to a giant pool of receipts which can be sorted by date, name, drilled down by category/tag, but I really want to be able to put those receipts into folders, particularly by year or even month. In the buys season we can have a few hundred receipts per month, many from the same handful of vendors. If I need to go back and look for a receipt in a giant mess of 3 years worth of receipts from a particular vendor, I'm not going to have a very good day. Giving me more control over organization of my files would address that issue. Control over deleting default receipt categories is also a must have that is currently unavailable. My other qualm is that they have links to a live chat all over their help page, however live chat is almost never available. I usually have a simple question that would have a simple answer, but when live chat is unavailable (always) I have to email and wait 1-2 days for a response. My feeling is that if you are going to target the US market, your support staff should have a shift running during US business hours. I will say that phone support is great and very attentive, but I don't always want to make a phone call for a simple question about where I can find a function or how to do something simple.
Nick P.
Artist (MANHATTAN PROJECTS/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Redwing)
Publishing, 11-50 employees
February 3, 2017

“Amazing customer service by CRM”

OverallI'm a freelance illustrator (self-employed/small business) and way behind on taxes (have been delaying b/c of my lack of organization). I have years and years of receipts saved up in shoeboxes/chest of drawers that I have to pile through. I spent a few hours researching the best app to use to do this. After downloading a lot of software, I finally settled on SHOEBOXED. I'm going to slowly pile through my receipt (snapping photos of them) and find my write offs. The images are organized by the company and are searchable (in case you ever get audited). You can even just mail them your receipts (that doesn't work for me as well b/c I have to find my write offs). But going forward I'll probably use that service as well. None of these reasons are why I'm actually leaving this review (see Pros below).
ProsHaving just downloaded the app on my phone I still had some questions about the functionality of the app and its service (are the receipts searchable...how so? ...how are they organized?). I decided to call...low and behold someone answered. I can't tell you how helpful CRM was on the phone. He spoke clearly and answered my random (and very specific) questions concisely. He helped me find which package was best for me and my situation (thousands of receipts piled up for years) ...without hard selling me on anything. I hadn't even signed up for the service officially yet and he sent a quick follow-up email. It was a very calming experience in the stressful situation that is my tax headache. If any higher ups are reading this... I'd recommend giving CRM a big fat raise, but don't promote him to your department ...unless you want to be working for him soon. I'm seriously impressed that I could download a very functional/helpful phone app and a few minutes later be able to call and talk to an actual service representative with no hold, no dial tone button pressing, who was completely knowledgeable about the product he was supporting. My entire field is full of self-employed workers and I'll be recommending this product to every single one because of the experience I had with the app and the customer service.
ConsThe only way to sign in to leave this review was through LinkedIn...a site I haven't used in 8 years (and was attached to old email accounts/password) and frankly...annoyed me with all their updates/emails. BUT, the customer service experience was so good...I'll eat the next 8 years of annoying Linkin update emails...hopefully they don't get hacked again (didn't that happen like 5 years ago).
Recommendations to other buyersThe best app I found for organizing receipt. Download the free version. They let you do 5 free recites...you'll know if you'll like it from there. I'm going to use this to keep my receipts in order and probably use quick books for actually filing (they automatically track your right off miles and sync into turbo tax). I highly recommend the actual numbers you put into those services be cultivated/organized with SHOEBOXED.
February 3, 2017
Nyla S.
Owner/Designer
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
January 15, 2019

“Super easy to use. One little annoyance.”

OverallOverall, I was looking for a way to stop keeping receipts in a literal shoebox in my filing cabinet. This fit the bill. Ultimately, I used the mail-in service only once, and the app occasionally. My primary usage was for digital receipts. Because of my minor annoyance with forwarding emails, I do think the app is mostly useful for those with paper receipts, so I would probably only highly recommend it for that purpose.
ProsThe ease of use is probably the highest pro of this software. Simply forward emails to your dedicated shoeboxed email address, and that's it. For me, it became a habit. Pay for something online, and the next time I check my email I simply forward the payment receipt to Shoeboxed. I like having everything in one place (Shoeboxed dashboard), easy to view and search. When you need to, you can export spreadsheets broken down by category when you need to review your expenses or pass it on to the accountant at tax time. I don't have a lot of paper receipts, but when necessary, just snap a photo in the app, categorize it, and done.
ConsWhen using the email option, every single receipt is (I believe) reviewed and categorized by a real human being. This means I have to trust that they are categorizing things properly. Unfortunately, I encountered a pretty frequent problem of my receipts being mislabeled. When I logged into my dashboard to review recent submissions, I would commonly encounter receipts labeled as being from MY company instead of the company that I had paid. I deduced this was likely happening due to my email signature being automatically appended at the top of all forwards, so I simply started erasing my signature before forwarding. Annoying to have to do so, but it fixed the problem. But to me that seems to indicate that they are either rushing through or not paying attention (I'm clearly forwarding from my company email -- why would I be paying myself?).
January 15, 2019
Jacquleen C.
Ohio Office Coordinator
Environmental Services, 51-200 employees
May 7, 2018

“Shoeboxed has helped cut down cost, time, and errors associated with tracking employees' purchases!”

OverallTime and cost effectiveness!
ProsI love that Shoeboxed is so simple, it took me less than 5 minutes to understand the entire process and all the features. Uploading is so easy, and I know that my information will be digitized correctly because every receipt is human verified--so I don't have to spend time double-checking. Shoeboxed also makes finding a specific receipt easy by allowing the user to search by date, vendor, category, payment method--and more! Since using this software, my company has seen a significant decrease in the amount of lost receipts, unapproved employee purchases, and time wasted by administrators compiling monthly credit card reports.
ConsThere are a few functionality/user friendliness issues, albeit very minor. First, we've noticed that the iPhone app is better quality than the Android one. There are more features available (like creating and choosing custom receipt categories), the design looks more modern, and editing is easier. Second, when on the desktop website, selecting multiple receipts over a long stretch of time can be a hassle because it will not allow you to combine selections on different pages. For example, I cannot make a report that contains newer receipts and more than 100 receipts ago, because that would require me to move to page 2, and my previous selections would be lost. Lastly, I feel like my price of a month is a little steep for only having one user and less than 50 receipts a month.
Chet W.
Environmental Services, 1-10 employees
May 4, 2018

“easy to use - one of the apps i use the most”

OverallExactly what it was created for - to organize my business receipts. This app has changed how i operate on field projects. Could not live without it!!
ProsThe flexibility to mail in receipts, scan with iPhone or email in as attachment combined with the auto classification is what puts you guys ahead of the rest. Expense reports are great but could use some additional features - i discuss some below in the Cons section. As it stands now the Expense Report creation is not great.
Conswould be great to be able to have more filter options for creating expense reports. If you could search by notes that you add when scanning receipts with mobile app it would be a HUGE help. I run multiple projects at a time so using dates to sort receipts for expense reports does not help me out much. I still have to drill in and manually filter out non-relevant receipts. Would be great if you could create expense report templates on a project by project basis that could be configured auto run.
Rebecca T.
Account Manager
May 1, 2018

“Been using the service for years. Highly recommend!”

OverallEasy for tax time
ProsThe service is super easy with prepaid envelopes that you can return anytime you want. I keep one in the house and one in the car so that I can put receipts in immediately and just pop them in the mail every few weeks. You also have a specific email address that you can email receipts too as well for online orders or if you prefer to scan them in yourself. Come tax time everything is categorized and ready to go! And if I ever need a receipt for anything (returns, warranties, etc.) it takes just a few minutes to track down!
ConsThe price is a little high for the service and I wish the turnaround time was slightly faster. I can expect my receipts to be uploaded about 10 days after I send them off (which is probably 4-5 days from when they are received).
david s.
Insurance & Financial Advisor
May 7, 2018

“Generally works very well to populate images of my mileage and expenses to a spreadsheet”

ProsEasy to post expenses by taking snapshot of receipt, categorize and save it with image available to download or just print an image of all receipts. It's a snap. Same goes for logging actual mileage -- although sometimes the software chooses the "shortest" route.
Cons1) Should be able to convert and save all images as a PDF. Could store on my phone...but photos take up WAY TOO MUCH SPACE! 2) If youre not careful those images could end up being shared by social media... 3) Sometimes shortest timewise routes are not ones assumed by software which are miles longer 4) Online functionality of software to pull up reports can be a little slow and clunky 5) Would like to know how to set up a second user with the same firm -- as I don't want to pay an additional fee.
Jessica A.
Owner / Creative Director
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
September 15, 2017

“The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread”

OverallMaybe there are other solutions out there that compete, but I haven't found them. Shoeboxed has been my go to application for a couple years now and I tell everyone about them. It's the simplest concept that I cannot live without. You take pictures of your receipts and it directly imports them into my accounting software. It let's you know in the phone app when it cannot read certain data but otherwise it's pretty dependable. I cannot live without this app.
ProsI get an email with each submission so I know it went through. I can categorize receipts and even add notes when I submit. The pictures are always saved.
ConsSometimes it does the wrong date or wrong amount but it's rare. working with email receipts can sometimes be annoying.
Recommendations to other buyersDo it. It's the best. Stop carrying around receipts in your wallet and then attaching them to an expense report. Just keep track of them here.
September 15, 2017
Building Materials, 201-500 employees
May 4, 2018

“I am Europe based and I was a subscriber for a year. I used it for my small e-commerce business.”

OverallSimple management of invoices, receipts, all in one place and accessible from everywhere.
ProsI like the idea of having all my invoices, payments, receipts, etc, stored in one safe place, accessible from everywhere. Shoeboxed does a good service and their app for Android works well. So on the go, you scan the receipt and that's it. No running around with papers in your pockets after a meeting with suppliers in a restaurant.
ConsThe magic envelope service at that time was not available in Europe. This is why I switched to the free version. Also as a European, I found it a hassle that there is no option available to change the settings to European formats such as for dates (in Europe you write dd/mm/yyyy, whereas in the US it is the other way around) and commas / dots to distinguish between thousands and fractions, etc. I also found that sometimes the Amazon webservices are slow and thus the loading of your files takes time. But recently this has improved. The preview pane is also too small and does not adapt to the screen size. Their UX could be uncluttered and simplified.
Sheila C.
Graphic Designer (and owner)
May 1, 2018

“Simple to use, but frustrated with the in-smart Auto catagorization of receipts. I spend hours redo”

OverallLearning patience with a software company that has the potential to be mind blowing... But instead is just OK right now.
ProsI like the fact that I can mail receipts in or email them in and it's taken care of for me. They mobile app is also nice for tooling paper receipts in the go. I just wish that every receipt I submit with app wouldn't be stored in my photo gallery. It takes up a ton of room.
Cons1. Price - /month to do basically what my NeatReceipts scanner does. I was under the impression that a human would be helping to hand enter my receipts to control accuracy. I didn't know that rep was going to be me. 2. I mailed in a year's worth of receipts for 2017 in 3 separate envelopes with instructions to please scan them in with a specific business name (I have 3 separate small businesses in one office). Instead, my instructions were ignored and all receipts were just uploaded en masse without regard to my need for song my business name. So very frustrating. Not only am I having to spend HOURS each night recategorizing each receipt after attending to figure it which business it was for, but I never received my receipts back from Shoeboxed. 3. Slow customer support response. I have emailed questions to support, and MAYBE I'll get a really a week or two later. 4. No apparent ability for Shoeboxed to sift through my email account and look for purchases to submit for uploading.
Banking, 1001-5000 employees
May 4, 2018

“A positive experience! With a few exceptions described below, this is top-notch!”

Pros-Has saved me so much money by upping my deductions tens of thousands of dollars!!! Also, I never used to track mileage. This has made it so easy except when I forget to drop a pin!
ConsI have called on all of these suggestions: 1. When emailing in a receipt, allow one to add a category and note so you don't have to log on and do it later. 2. Have GPS track all of your trip so you don't have to remember to drop a pin. If you forget, which I am sure people do a lot, you get 0 miles. 3. Sometimes the GPS drops and you lose all data for the trip. 4. Allow one to add a new category on the app from your phone.
Alicia K.
Occupational Therapist
May 1, 2018

“Does a lot for small business owners”

OverallSaves me a lot of time and helps me stay organized.
ProsI like the ease of submitting my receipts--from forwarding an email to scanning a receipt it makes things so easy. I also like having easy access to business cards without having to sift through or carry a bunch of them. I use the mileage feature the most and really like it when it's accurate.
ConsThe mileage is not always accurate (my 20 mile ride is sometimes registered as .01 miles) and the app doesn't allow you to correct it (I can correct the equivalent, but my accountant wants actual mileage so it doesn't really help). This happens on average about once a week.
Rebecca M.
Sales Representative
May 7, 2018

“Super easy to use! Helps me stay organized for tax time.”

ProsThe ability to utilize pre-paid envelopes makes the service super easy to use. Just drop in any receipts or business cards that you have and they do the rest! Plus, they go ahead and categorize all of your receipts so that you know exactly where your money goes.
ConsSometimes, the categorization is off due to the fact that they have to guess what each receipt is for. For instance, if I have a receipt for a local store they might not know what type of store that is (retail, grocery, office supplies, etc.). Other than that, the service is great!
Andres V.
Owner/Technician
May 7, 2018

“Very Helpful for a Small Business!”

OverallAccounting. I have difficulty keeping track of my documents and receipts and you've covered me for several years.
ProsI don't have to think about it since it's connected to my Google email account. Almost all of my receipts go through email. Copies of the receipts online are nice to have when needed. The reports have been useful for my accountant at tax time, it saves me a lot of time. The iOS app is very easy to use too for my offline receipts.
ConsI'd like to get notifications if Shoeboxed thinks an email should have a receipt and doesn't or where problems occur. The Google Mail plugin sometimes misses receipts and the only way I can tell is if the "Shoeboxed" label hasn't been applied to it. I'd rather take care of these ongoing instead of at the end of the month trying to track down old emails. If I were able to get notifications, I could automate the process of forwarding certain emails back to Shoeboxed. I'm on the 'Free' tier (Since 2014) and have gotten a lot out of the service for free. I haven't used the mileage tracker on the iOS app though. To get me to subscribe to the 'Lite' tier, I don't need anything else but what I mentioned above - an error notification to act as a failover.
Elizabeth B.
Administrator/Accounts Payable
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
May 7, 2018

“Easy to use, user friendly website and great customer service”

ProsI enjoy how easy it is to send the receipts off and have them returned. I like how easy it is to search for the receipts you have sent in. Customer service is always very helpful and I appreciate that you have a live chat option I like the new feature of being able to update the types of payments
ConsI struggle with the restrictions of the receipts that can be sent it. When I email a pdf across and I look for that receipt in the system, the receipt will just be blank and shows nothing. I also sometimes forward email receipts and get an email back saying it's invalid but the receipt has been processed. I would like for the system to work with more databases other than Quickbooks. We would love for it to work with Autotask for instance and it would save a huge step and much time for us.
Don F.
May 1, 2018

“Very quick and efficient”

ProsYou can edit and create your own categories to match your bookkeeping. This will easily sync with your Quickbooks program or other accounting software. Prevents the need for having to keep a "zillion" paper receipts and then needing to process them at the end of the year. Instead, you download a report and have an image of the receipt if needed for an audit
ConsYou have to make sure that your picture images are clear or your data may not be accurate. Is easily edited, but I would eliminate the receipt until you have a chance to spot check the information.
Ray R.
May 1, 2018

“Easy tool to use and CSv export ”

ProsEmail transcibing of Reciepts. Phone image capture, one click app opening. Magic envelopes are simple, durable, and arrive very quickly. The return service is useful to, I simply label the returned envelopes by date & store them.
ConsDifficult to select report fields from mobile device. Categories often need to be manually corrected. My biggest dislike is dated are often omitted rom the image translations
Andy S.
Chiropractor
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
May 7, 2018

“Good and getting better”

OverallHas saved a ton of time and now I have a backup for the majority of my receipts.
ProsPretty easy to use and review receipts. It has cut down my review time and collating time a lot. I also like the ability to have a digital copy of my receipts in case I lose them or they are destroyed.
ConsInability to set default currency to canadian. I am concerned about some of the scans I had made when using the free service. The setup seems unable to bring the images up in ISO app and through the web. I just hope I don't get audited on those receipts.
William F.
Photographer
May 4, 2018

“Easy to use, great for archiving receipts and not having to worry about it, but too expensive”

OverallReceipt archiving is my main focus but the quickbooks intergration is also a fantastic feature.
ProsEasy to find receipts with the search feature. I know my receipts are safe and archived. Intergration with quickbooks is fantastic.
ConsEXPENSIVE. Very expensive. Also sometimes take 24 hours for uploaded receipts to be scanned. I wish you could choose your default view between what has and has not been exported.
Karen Y.
Tobacco, 1-10 employees
May 4, 2018

“Shoeboxed helped save so much time to get us organized and receipts up to date”

OverallKeeps everything logged in in one place and I have all the receipts where I can find them when I need
ProsVery User friendly. Love that you can do it yourself and get the receipts logged in immediately. Is a great software for keeping organized all in one place
ConsUnable to change or delete the card #s when clicking which card. So many unused numbers on there. Cannot add a new one unless they do it
Shawn B.
Small Business Owner
Retail, Self-employed
February 12, 2019

“Great for keeping track of expenses!”

OverallI use this app to add my business contacts by snapping the photos then I was able to add them to my computers and iPhone's address book with a .csv file. I also keep track of most of my business expenses by uploading my receipts. I integrated my account with my QuickBooks online and I am able to create expense reports via QuickBooks.
ProsI liked Shoeboxed because it was very simple, you just choose the category of the item you want to add then snap a photo. It does most of the work for you. You can then create expense reports and upload them into a pdf, QuickBooks, Excel, or .csv format. If you want to enter a note when you add the item you can.
ConsThere really wasn't much that I didn't like.
February 12, 2019
Robert O.
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees
May 7, 2018

“Very useful tool for tracking and storing receipts. Needs ability to save various reports.”

Overallstorage and search capability
ProsScans and reads multiple receipts at once via ScanSnap. Categorizes based on credit card number (though not always accurately).
ConsNeeds 1) ability to import directly into Quickbooks Desktop, and 2) needs more robust reporting tools. Can't save and reuse reports based on various search criteria.
Saul M.
Member
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
May 7, 2018

“Essential for my document and receipt organization..”

OverallTax reporting and expense report generation is now painless. Saves so much time and organization. Love it.
ProsMakes my life easier and more efficient. The software is intuitive and helps expense report generation and tax reporting.
ConsI am not sure I know of anything! Perhaps the batch editing features could be easier and with less lag.
Sharisse L.
May 1, 2018

“Shoeboxed is GREAT! Platform is extremely easy to use”

ProsI like that there are multiple way to send receipts in and none of them take a lot of time to do. Also, the filter/search options when searching for a receipt is amazing
ConsThe automatic categorizing. I wish there was a way to create rules to categorize recipts in a way that is customized to my business
Dj G.
Accounting, 1-10 employees

“happy for most part”

ProsIt allows us to move towards a paperless system and a more secure way to move data on internet. It is easy to use and allows us to communicate well with client.
ConsThere are several small features we have requested for over a year and still have not been addressed.
Michelle H.
Business Office Manager
Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees
May 2, 2018

“The ability to separate documents would be most wonderful and very helpful”

ProsI enjoy the ability to mail in all receipts and documents in one self addressed free envelope . Email of received package and processed is very useful
ConsNot able to separate documents , not easy to combine receipt names when multiple have been made by mistake, When a document is unable to be processed it would help if the return email would give the original document or receipts that where email uploaded to help me change the format and resend as there are others that upload receipts and documents multiple times a day and finding which one that has been unable to be processed is very hard
Christopher S.
May 1, 2018

“I use Shoeboxed for the mileage tracking feature, and it's the bomb, excellent.”

ProsMileage tracking feature. And I like the web portal reports feature. Makes it so easy to run mileage reports at end of year and export. It can be exported to CSV into excel
ConsIt would be nice if it would constantly track the roads I drive on, not just the most direct route.
Rachel W.
Partner
1-10 employees
April 12, 2018

“So happy I found this product”

ProsI found Shoeboxed a few years ago, and had never thought about a "receipt organization service", but what they do is truly "magic": I just send them my receipts, bills and all sorts of documents and they, within just like a day, scan everything and upload it to my mobile app and online account - I always have my receipts at my fingertips now, and all of that without any work required on my part. I love this service so much!
ConsI don't have any complaints really. Maybe.. their support hours? Their support is amazing, first of all, but I had times where I couldn't reach them via phone when I wanted to run a report etc.
April 12, 2018

“Very user friendly!”

ProsShoeboxed is user friendly, quick and easy to post receipts and having the program/company enter the information is the way to go!!
ConsThe price is a little steep every month for a small business owner but overall it's a huge time saver.
Ashley S.
Prof
Self-employed
May 1, 2018

“Very clean interface. Easy to use. ”

OverallGreat interface
ProsVery clear cut. You can look ahead and plan out your week. I like the color coding option which gives you clarity.
ConsWould be great to have more features on free version like notes. That is all really. I love the software.
Diana C.
E-Learning, Self-employed
May 1, 2018

“I love the convenience of having my emailed receipts automatically sent to Shoeboxed.”

OverallTime saver, easy categorizathonen of emails, easy retrieval of receipts later when needed.
ProsShoeboxed provides me with an easy way to automatically categorize, save and retrieve important emailed receipts. This saves me a great deal of time.
ConsI have not really found many cons, although sometimes Shoeboxed will misread & mislabel an email as a receipt when its really not, but this is only a very minor inconvenience.
Chris W.
May 1, 2018

“Love it and couldn't live without it”

ProsThe ease of use and the search functionality. I can always find what I am looking for and have never had issues.
ConsI wish I could use it for more things in life! In all honesty, I think the app could be improved a bit, but it's still a great software.
Carly P.
Territory Manager
May 1, 2018

“Great for organizing but processing can be a little slow/glitchy”

ProsHaving everything in one place on my phone is great, and being able to email my expense report directly from the app is a nice feature.
ConsThe processing grabs the wrong information from the photo of the receipt- for instance, if it's a screen shot of an invoice on my phone, it will list the merchant as "Verizon" and I have to spend extra time going back and fixing those.
Ashlee W.
Photographer
Arts and Crafts, Self-employed
May 1, 2018

“Shoeboxed has changed my life as a small business owner! It's efficient and easy to use. ”

ProsThe fact that there are multiple ways to input receipts (upload, email, envelopes, etc). I also appreciate that you can set rules to make it more efficient as you go.
ConsI think that pricing should be streamlined and expanded. I go over my limit several times per year and the overage charges are intense but upgrading fully doesn't make sense for my business either.
Allison M.
Realtor
Real Estate, 11-50 employees
May 1, 2018

“Great value & easy to use ”

ProsEase of uploading & categorizing receipts. Cost is low for service. Easy to use via app or login on site.
ConsI cannot think of anything to mention at this time. I think the functionality is great and very easy to use!
JOhn C.
May 4, 2018

“It's Awesome! Love that it automatically tracks my trips and is easy to navigate the app. Than yall!”

ProsIt's Awesome! Love that it automatically tracks my trips and is easy to navigate the app. Than yall!
ConsThe Price Is A little bit of a bummer. They recently upped their charges and I feel the old price was more reasonable, Unfortunately it's too late for me to swtich due to all of my trips being on here, so i feel a bit trapped.
Christine W.
Therapist
May 1, 2018

“Convenient! And if there is ever a problem, they're fast to help!”

ProsI love how easy it is to snap a picture of the receipt on my phone app and then I don't have I keep up with a paper trail! I always lost receipts before.
ConsI've found sometimes I have to reset my app because it has a glitch that makes my old receipts not show up. They're still on the computer version, I'm not sure why this happens.
Richard S.
Broker
May 1, 2018

“I absolutely love the app. Easy to use and wonderful at tax time!”

ProsEasy to navigate and to track my mileage. Love the pinning while driving my route. It was so easy at tax time to print off the whole year and have it broke down by category.
ConsI would like to see a line for me to enter the total cost on the expense section. There have been a few times where you entered the wrong amount (like missing a tax or service charge on the bill). I would also like to see if there is a way to add more pins on the mileage app. I sometimes have 8-10 stops.
Education Management, Unspecified
May 1, 2018

“Shoeboxed takes many hours out of preparing our business and personal information for taxes.”

OverallThe biggest benefit by far, is the time that is saved organizing both personal and small business receipts for proper tax/business purposes. It took the hours and hours spent monthly organizing and inputting receipts, down to a few minutes a month.
ProsThe ability to submit both paper and electronic receipts, easily and quickly organize them through the online interface, and prepare them for our use with reports, taxes, etc. Also, the ability to organize the information by location, date, or category; and, export in Excel/CSV format is excellent. Lastly, the ability to create rules for future receipts (for example, what category should be assigned) is great.
ConsThe online interface sometimes operates a little slow when opening up and looking through individual receipts, but it is a minor inconvenience. The cost is a little high, but in the end worth it for the time that is saved annually preparing for taxes.
Raymond D.
May 7, 2018

“I enjoy using shoeboxed app for the last 2 years. It has made keeping receipts easy and organized. ”

ProsI like the ability to look at the receipts I have submitted in the various time frames. Monthy/yearly. I also like the ability to categorize the expenses and print reports for each category. This has made keeping track of expenses easier and the ability to have all the necessary information for my accountant at tax time easier to review and ensure expenses are not missed.
ConsI don't like not having the ability to review the receipts as category and generate reports from the mobile app.
Jennifer S.
Comptroller
Banking, 11-50 employees

“So Helpful”

ProsI like that I can just scan my receipts while I am out running errands and don't have to keep them since I am always losing them.
ConsI don't like that it only named a few receipts and that I had to purchase the upgraded plan in order to get the software to recognize the names on anything over the minimum.
Pat B.
Advisor
Internet, 10,001+ employees
May 4, 2018

“Best company. Best product. Game changer.”

ProsI LOVE mailing in and getting digital scanned copies of my receipts. I had 2 years worth of backlog on my physical receipts and having it digitally organized before the ink faded was huge.
ConsI wish making expense reports was slightly easier for different accounts -- personal, professional, business, etc.
Juliette A.
May 1, 2018

“Shoeboxes is an essential expense in my business. ”

ProsI like that Shoeboxed allows me to send them both paper and digital receipts. The categorization is pretty spot on and you can set up rules for common expenses.
ConsI wish Shoeboxed integrated with more bookkeeping platforms and had more triggers on Zapier. The categorization could use more refinement.
Heidi W.
Food & Beverages, Self-employed

“Love this app”

ProsEasy to keep track of business even when out and about. I have a couple different businesses and this helps me keep all of them seperate.
ConsEasier to use on desktop then app. For some reason on the app I am not able to seperate e everything, I have to log on a desktop to do it.
May 1, 2018

“Easy to use and decreases accounting workload.”

OverallMuch easier time keeping track of receipts.
ProsEase of use. It's really convenient to keep an envelope in a car to collect receipts on the go and to mail in once a week once a new envelope arrives. I really like this feature and it has allowed us to save all our receipts!
ConsI wish it automatically matched with my QuickBooks banking. Right now we use quckbooks independently of shoeboxed as it will double enter the same transactions and not automatically match them. This is unfortunate!
Arielle P.
Executive Assistant
May 1, 2018

“It's very easy to upload receipts for storage. ”

ProsThe ability to forward in receipts or take a picture with the app and automatically upload. I love that the app doesn't make you save the picture to your camera roll.
ConsWhen searching for a receipt, sometimes it doesn't bring up all the receipts with the applicable keyword.
Simon O.
Marketing Analyst
Accounting, 11-50 employees
December 6, 2018

“Best Financial Documentation Application”

ProsThis software was recommended by a friend who has be using it for years. It has really brought a lasting solution to my manual way of doing things and help me to easily organize and manage my financial documents with unlimited storage capacity.
ConsI find it difficult to use it on my phone. I think it should be improve to be able to use it on any electronic gadget.
December 6, 2018
Jessica B.
Business Owner
Arts and Crafts, Self-employed
May 4, 2018

“Amazing and quick process”

OverallLove being able to utilize the application to review previously scanned documents.
ProsPros are the convenience of the phone application, along with the ability to mail receipts. Love being able to upload photos of receipts on the spot, where ever one may be. It is easy to use when traveling, and creates less of a hassle when dealing with receipts once traveling is complete. Also love being able to utilize the Shoeboxed app. to check on previously scanned receipts (everything is located in one place). Highly recommended to all of family and friends, especially those who are just starting out managing their own business.
ConsPreviously, cons were the fees. However, currently, it is more beneficial to stay up to date with accounting by utilizing Shoeboxed.
Ronald J.
May 1, 2018

“Incredible interface. Easy to use.”

ProsIt's a fantastic way to store recipes and track expenses. The team is responsive and the app is user friendly.
ConsI can't say that I have any complaints about the application. It fits my needs perfectly in every way.
David H.
Boss
April 17, 2018

“makes keeping track of expenses easy”

Overalltime saver, nice to be organized.
ProsI like that i can throw all my receipts in an envelope, send them to Shoeboxed, and have them take care of the rest. Nice to not have tons of receipts taking up valuable space in my office and nice that it's organized and easy to search should I need to do that.
ConsI wish all plans had the prepaid envelopes. That would be a nice touch that would make using this service so much easier.
April 17, 2018