labfolder Electronic Lab Notebook Ratings

Overall

About labfolder Electronic Lab Notebook

Labfolder is an online digital lab notebook, where users can write, draw and assemble reports of their latest experiments, that they can then safely store in the cloud. Labfolder is completely free for individual use and for groups up to 3 users. A cloud space of 3 GB is offered to store all files. Learn more about labfolder Electronic Lab Notebook

Markus K.
Postdoc Researcher
Biotechnology, 11-50 employees
June 22, 2017

“I tested several ELNs before selecting labfolder, which suited my needs the best.”

OverallHelped me and my colleagues in the lab work together more efficiently. We sometimes also have researchers from other institutions working with us on different projects, which would be complicated without an online interface and the collaboration tools.
Pros- Easy to manage experiment data, even in group projects - Free for small teams, affordable for larger groups - Protocol templates save me a lot of time! - Audit trail so I can review and restore any changes made - I can export all my notes as a xhtml
Cons- The design is a bit boring (but functional) - Limited storage (3GB) in the free version - No Open source version
June 22, 2017
Hospital & Health Care, 11-50 employees
July 19, 2019

“Really useful for lab meetings and 1-on-1 meetings with the boss”

ProsThe best part about this software is no more writing and drawing in a physical notebook! I can have this program open on the same computer I am collecting data with and just type in any notes if necessary. Also, I can take screenshots and add those to the page as well. For lab meeting, I can bring all of my notes, raw data, and analyzed graphs in the exact same place/screen for a huge time saving boost.
ConsThis is actually probably a good thing overall, but I hate it. It allows my boss to see my daily progress, as he can see what I upload to it and when. This kind of creates a bit of a micromanaging situation which I personally don't like.
July 19, 2019
Jacques B.
Student
Biotechnology, Unspecified
July 11, 2017

“Very satisfied. Labfolder helps me organize my research notes during my Phd studies”

Overalli have a better overview of all my experiments
ProsI like the search functionality a lot. Save me a lot of time that I can just search for certain keywords and find a note I created about a particular experiment over a year ago.
ConsAs I sometimes use certain advanced excel functionalities, it would be useful to have full excel functionality embedded, rather than always having to import the files from Excel into the notebook.

By labfolder on July 11, 2017
Thanks for the nice review Jacques! We're very glad that you enjoy using labfolder.
July 11, 2017
Julia W.
Staff Scientist
July 2, 2018

“Super easy onboarding experience. Our entire team was set up within days and loving it!”

Pros1. It's just easy to use and set up for the team. Very important since some members of the team were skeptical about giving up their notebooks. 2. GDPR compliance - I work at a European biotech company and I felt that so many of the providers were unaware or unprepared with dealing with data privacy issues. labfolder clearly invested time in its compliance and all our data stays stored in the EU. 3. Works well for industry use.
ConsNothing major comes to mind. There are always a few things we come up with that would be nice to have, but all the important stuff is there.
July 2, 2018
Biotechnology, 1-10 employees
September 10, 2019

“Science notebook”

OverallAlthough it is convenient, it is not my cup of tea. I'll stick to pen and paper.
ProsIt allowed for ease of access when it came to sharing my lab notebook with other people in my lab. Always legible.
ConsI prefer having a hardcopy notebook and this seem counterintuitive to be writing things down via pen and then typing up my notebook.
September 10, 2019
Tobias F.
Research Associate
July 31, 2017

“good experience”

ProsIt is nice that you can record which materials have been used for each experiment, and then search for them in the notebook. Also the audit trail is important to me. I tried different tools before like OneNote and LabCollector - not as useful.
ConsNot so easy to use in the beginning. Also the table has limited functionalities. Would also want to see an integration with Box .

By labfolder on July 31, 2017
Thank you for leaving a review Tobias! We are working on a new user interface which will make it easier for beginners to discover all the features that labfolder has to offer. Also, while we do not have an integration with Box, we do offer an integration with Dropbox and also offer decent storage options in the ELN itself.
July 31, 2017