Folder Lock Ratings

Overall

About Folder Lock

Folder Lock lets you password-protect files, folders and drives; encrypt your important files on-the-fly; backup them in real-time; protect portable drives; shred files & drives and clean history. Folder Lock is the most downloaded file-security application with more than 55 million users. It works on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 8, 7, Vista, XP. Learn more about Folder Lock

Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 employees
September 11, 2019

“It is a great software for security reasons”

OverallMy professional and secret files are secured by this software no can see it without my permission by using it
ProsIt can be locked content of any folder and files
ConsIt is a password basis software it uses for locking and unlocking.
September 11, 2019
Michael C.
Self employed
Retail, 1-10 employees
February 15, 2019

“Great product, lousy customer backup when stuck”

OverallOverall I'd say 50/50 only due to the lousy customer service backup being very unhelpful. Not long after installing my version, I had Folder Lock REALLY hide some folders by making them TOTALLY DISAPPEAR!!! After several emails requesting HELP!! there was no solution forthcoming that worked. (Which was explained in detail in my responses). They did not have a grasp on the severity of my problem and the gravity that went with it. All my sensitive business and private documents and folders were not able to be seen for over two months! I kid you not!! For all the corresponding between the two parties, they really seemed to be quite blaisé and devil-may-care type of attitude. I was ropeable! They even had the audacity to ask me to 'reinstall your Windows operating system' which would have wiped the whole computer's data, including that which was 'hidden'. The only way out in the end was to take my PC to a professional computer technician, pay a couple of hundred dollars and get the thing working again. Unbelievable lack of concern shown throughout. This whole ordeal left me terribly upset and shaken to be honest. (I still have original emails if needed as proof if needed).
ProsIt is unbreakable. Always works. Trust the SOFTWARE totally.
ConsQuite lengthy learning curve to obtain useful level of competence to use it. If you use it to hide larger size folders and drives, ie. 2gb or more, it takes a very long time to open and let you start working. Probably three to four minute's wait time. Not good when time is off the essence.
Bryan M.
Medical Director
Medical Practice, 201-500 employees
February 22, 2019

“Excellent encryption software, easy and complete”

OverallPhysician: Keep all of my consult dictations in an encrypted folder. easy and great to have all of my consults at my fingertips for rounds etc... Researcher: have to keep data for 10 years... simple and safe. Assessor for Medical College: perfect as I receive LARGE folders full to confidential client information that I am to review... and can move all in to an encrypted folder lock folder kept discretely from all of my other folders and can delete it after my report is complete
ProsEase of Use. this encryption software could not be easier to use. as a physician, and a researcher, who also does reviews and audits for our College, I am completely happy with its ease of use. It is exactly what I was looking for in a product.
ConsNot strictly a con, but in this day of biometrics I'd like to be able to use my finger-print scanner instead for the password... or a 2 stage security process... this will make things more secure as I'm quite certain people are using easy to remember passwords for their main entry which defeats the purpose... there are a ton of extra features that I would be interested in using, if there were a video "hot to" circulated to familiarize us with the products....
Milt H.
Associate Professor
Higher Education, 5001-10,000 employees

“Exactly what I needed!”

ProsThis program was very easy to install and setup. I like that I can encrypt individual files, and I can create multiple "lockers" that securely store those files. I can erase my Windows "tracks" with one click, and the empty disc space shredder is super-fast! (There will be one temp file that needs to be erased after the shredding operation, but it really works well.) Folder Lock also has a backup/restore function, but I have not used that. One really cool feature is that you can copy your "locker(s)" to a jump drive, then they are converted to executables so that you can securely take them with you. There are other attributes to the program that I have not used (such as protecting email attachments and password wallets, but those are not the reason that I bought this software. I purchased this software so that I could securely lock (hide) sensitive files/folders. Folder Lock works perfectly for this. But you must remember your password! If you lose it, you are sunk!! Oh yeah, and probably my favorite feature is that Folder Lock runs in Stealth Mode! It does not show to be running anywhere if you set it up that way! I am super-satisfied with this program (and its sister program USB Lock! They are both worth every cent I spent on them!
ConsThe only con would be that it is difficult to find Folder Lock in stealth mode if your secret key combination does not work for whatever reason. (I think I run into this if it has been a couple of days or more since I have called the program up.)
Kent L.
President/CEO
February 22, 2019

“FOLDER LOCK IS SOLID AS A ROCK!”

OverallIt's the first encryption package that has stayed installed on my systems for more than a year, and continues to be used on a daily basis in my operation. Also, when I purchased the package it continues to work and it's mine, no continuous scams or attempts to get me into a registration renewal fee or membership. No company or it's ownership is perpetual, we can't invest in using an encryption package that may someday become obsolete. With Folder Lock we are confident that a decade from now we will be able to decrypt archived files because we have control and ownership of the encryption package.
ProsThe best thing about Folder Lock is that it works consistently and does not create other operating system issues. I have had to stop using many encryption systems because their presence results in system hang ups and system lock ups.
ConsI think the graphical interface coukd be ergonomically improved to save screen space, but this is a sideline marginal improvement to the bug free package that it is. If anything an expansion of transportability would be welcomed for ease of encrypting files for email attachments and flash drive carrying.
Bernard B.
Retired
Mining & Metals, 1001-5000 employees

“Bernard's review”

OverallI used Folder Lock to protect my files at the office and at home, however, being now retired, I am using it for my personal use at home. The risk of having the files leaving home is nonexistent now, and I do not know if an outside hacker can access the lockers both when opened and closed. In overall, I always had very good support from the Folder Lock team in the past and I thank you them for their appreciated help at that time.
ProsThe version 7 is easy to use and clear. The French version that I am using is perfect( with regard to the language). I do not use all the topics offered by the software; just the file encryption topic, however, I intend to explore the other topics as well.
Cons1. Sometimes, an open locker cannot be closed by the main Folder Lock window and the directory where the unlocked files are placed cannot be closed; 2. The portable Folfer Lock execution file automatically placed in an USB key does not seem working properly 3. The two above points were not observed with the versions 6.xx of the software
Dennis F.
Chief, Programs Management Branch
Civil Engineering, 10,001+ employees
September 5, 2019

“Best Folder Security I've Ever Used ”

OverallI have tried some of the free software security programs on the internet and they're okay but not great. This software has been everything I wanted in a security package. I'm glad I spent the money to get it.
ProsWhat I like most about this software is it's ease of use and the password security protocol. Locking and unlocking the folders is really easy and requires only one click of the mouse after you've entered your password. I use it on my PC and I created a twenty-nine character password. I felt that I needed an extra long password to ensure that it would be very difficult to break into. I was surprised that it allowed me to use such a long password. I realize that nothing is unbreakable but someone will have to try extra hard to break mine.
ConsI honestly can't think of anything I didn't like about this software.
September 5, 2019
Hugo v.
PMO and Software Development Manager
Information Technology and Services, 201-500 employees
February 23, 2019

“Easy File and Folder Encryption”

OverallOverall I have enjoyed Folder Lock. I am a keen user and I would easily recommend it to others. I must say that I find the selection of various products very confusing in terms of how the compare to each other. At this time I am of the opinion that Folder Lock is the Flagship Product among the various Desktop Applications offered by NewSoftwares.net
ProsI like the fact that I can easily create a secure file which can then be mounted as a drive, and that I can easily back up that secure file. Once this file is created and mounted as a drive it can be opened (encrypted) and closed (encrypted) with all the files I like to protect. I like the companion file that allows me to use my encrypted File to mount it on a machine that does not have Folder Lock installed.
ConsThis software is easy to use but some selections are a bit confusing before you start a new Encrypted File Container. I am also concerned about some of my older folders as I am a long time user and Windows 10 and beyond Backward Compatibility. I am not very confident in the Lock Folder Protect Feature as I know how to beat this protection and hence it has very little utility to me, and I have very little confidence in this level of protection. Useful for files not that sensitive but not very secure.
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
February 19, 2019

“Folder Lock”

OverallI've used this software for a few years and always purchase the upgrade. I have Windows 7, and regarding that Windows 10 message, I don't know if it's any less secure when I hide my files using NTFS formatted drive. That's my only concern if I end up switching to Windows 10. Otherwise, I really like using this product to hide stuff like tax documents or other stuff with private information.
ProsOne of the features I like is being able to hide your folders. Another feature I use a lot is wiping out the harddrive. It usually frees up the spaces on my computer. I think it's helping to speed up the computer if you have deleted files hanging around in your drive.
ConsI'm using the latest version. I get that Windows 10 message about using FAT file or something. Not sure if this means my files are not as secured anymore if I'm using NTFS hard drive. This part is the only one I'm uncleared about when I lock and unlock my folders.
February 19, 2019
Yacoub A.
Banking, 11-50 employees

“Excellent Reliable”

OverallPrivacy and access to certain files are guaranteed. It's not possible for anyone to tamper with any files.
ProsEasy to use, very simple user interface. Easy to select which files to lock. If you are accidentally in Cap Lock mode, it will inform you so that you don't have to retype the password. Customer service is superb and helped me resolve registration issues when I had to reinstall the OS
ConsYou have to disable it and move your files out if you need to do system restore. Otherwise it will prevent the restore. Although ehen a file is licked its supposed to be invisible, you can still see the name of the file in app specifi directory trees. You can't access it, but you can see it. Then if you go to the D drive directory, you will notice its not there. That alerts that you are hiding something to an intruder.
LEROY M.
QUANTUM MECHANIC
February 22, 2019

“Good, solid security at a reasonable cost”

OverallI work in Healthcare Cyber Security. My first line of defense is to stop invasion. My second line is to make certain all data is securely encrypted against any invasion. If anyone manages to get to my data I want it to be useless to them. Folder Locker does the job in trained hands.
ProsInitially some issues, mostly due to updates and feature changes and bugs attributed to Windows10 Pro updates. I am a Windows troubleshooter. I was able to workaround most issues until Windows10 finally became somewhat, or should I say, more stable. Haven't had any issues since 10/18. Software is now working as designed and performing well on HDs, SSDs USBs and NAS. No problems and No data loss. Can't say I got any help from Tech support. I am pretty self sufficient on computers, but I bought the software from Amazon. I never expect a lot from free stuff but when I spend money I expect things to work. Folder Locker Does work with the current updated Windows Pro version. Keep it current and its smooth running.
ConsAs with most software issues you have to make sure you recognize the source of the issue. If a problem is found I had to sometime realize I had to wait for an update from Microsoft to fix the bug or for another software update. Caused by security issues and software companies trying to keep up.
Brad M.
Insurance, 1-10 employees

“secure folders”

OverallAs one who used to file insurance claims for doctors, I needed secure folder availability to comply with federal law. FolderLock gives me that.
ProsI have been using this software for years. And when I changed computers and had to reload Folderlock onto the new computer, support came quickly to the rescue. Another feature I like is that FolderLock automatically locks a folder if the machine happens to be shutdown while my folders are open. This might happen during an automatic update and reboot.
ConsIn a previous version I wound up one day with files added to my folders, files that had very strange, computer-language characters, and they weren't executable or "deletable". When I reloaded on another machine, they disappeared. No adverse impact; just puzzling.
Joel J.
March 27, 2019

“Want security? They've got a lock on it!”

OverallI'm somewhat anal about protecting my business files. Folder Lock gives me that extra level of security. I protect my network with physical and software firewalls, on the off chance that someone is able to penetrate my defense, Folder Lock provides an extra level of security by encrypting and then locking down selected directories.
ProsSetup is easy and intuitive. Windows File Explorer is running in the background so locating files and folders to secure is easy to do. Most tasks are performed with a single click making the product easy to use. Folder Lock is bullet proof security for your data.
ConsThis isn't exactly a "con," but for me personally using multiple hard drives, it can be easy to forget what folders I've locked until I try to save to a particular folder.
Karlee B.
Retail, 1-10 employees
March 11, 2019

“Never have to worry about what others might see again!”

OverallMy overall experience with Folder Lock has been outstanding. This software is simple to use, reliable, and I have peace of mind knowing my private and valuable documents are safely "locked away."
ProsThis software is great! I store all of my financial documents here along with personal letters, pictures, etc. ~ I also like that I can hide the fact that I even have this program on my computer and I can pull it up by using hot keys. My computer is password protected, but sometimes other people end up using my computer for a bit so it's nice to know there is nothing snooping eyes might uncover. It's also nice to know that if my computer is hacked, my financial information is safe.
ConsThis is so minor in comparison to the advantages; I wish I could upload multiple documents vs. one document at a time. Since I do have to do it one at a time, it would be nice if when I am uploading multiple documents from the same folder, the software would default to the last visited folder as an upload location so I don't have to keep re-navigating to that folder over and over again.
March 11, 2019
Barney R.
Management Consultant
Defense & Space, Self-employed

“Folderlock is awesome”

OverallMy clients require that I maintain encrypted files on my laptop or portable media. Folderlock exceeds their requirements.
Pros1. Easy to download and set up 2. Easy to use on a daily basis 3. 2-layer protection, password and encryption key 4. Easy to move to another computer. Simply download the software and use the same password and encryption key. 5. Never had any problem with files being encrypted or decrypted except as noted in the Cons.
ConsThere is some conflict with my operating system that will close Folderlock when in sleep mode. Not sure of the cause because it isn't that much of a problem and I have never researched. If I have open files, I need to open Folderlock and SAVE autorecovered files. Its rare and not a big deal.
Richard H.
Owner of a computer service company
Computer & Network Security, Self-employed
February 15, 2019

“Kudos from a computer professional”

ProsA professional support technician with 400 customers, I recognize the need for some folders on a home PC to be locked against prying eyes. Email... documents... financial information... They're generally wide open to your computer tech or anyone else with access to your PC, but should they be? As a computer tech, I fix Windows PCs, but- just in case- I have and use Folder Lock to protect sensitive information like my Client List complete with their email addresses and passwords. I wouldn't be without it. Folder Lock security is just slightly less important to me than my heartbeat.
ConsNo "Cons." It just works as it's supposed to work.
Jerry M.
Secretary Treasurer
Construction, 1-10 employees
February 22, 2019

“Love it with Exceptions”

OverallOverall, I do like the program. It's easy to use, but I'd love the option, if possible, to set a default Drive Letter for my locked folder so that you don't have to keep selecting it each time.
ProsAbility to have a hidden/locked folder for company financial files as I travel about the county
ConsThe one frustrating thing about this program is that most times I cannot lock the folder once it is open. Sometimes a reboot won't even solve the issue, then the next reboot or shutdown/startup, the locker will be closed and locked. I will also get several error log files showing in my locked folder, which at this moment, I have six. I've sent these in before, but now I just delete them.
Banking, 1-10 employees
August 15, 2019

“Secure your data and I nformations”

OverallAs I am using this for a long period of time this is very helpful for me to keep my data and information protected from the unnecessary entrance from the others.
ProsWow, just amazing this I can separately lock or protect the data and information. Also, the access for the protected data is very efficient.
ConsWhen new software or application is download it always asks to lock that it is unnecessary and when we lock at that time it does not gives access after downloading it. Also on the phone, if we select some file and share it with folder lock it does not lock the file and we have to go to the folder lock app and come through it for locking.
August 15, 2019
Hanna B.
Junior Associate
Law Practice, 11-50 employees
May 3, 2019

“My own personal virtual vault ”

OverallI use this software for my personal benefit as well as our office operations as it provides for an extra layer of protection for sensitive information. And through the USB encryption feature, I have used it to protect company files on occasion I had to lend my USB drive to a friend.
ProsFolder Lock comes with a simple user interface that makes it so convenient to operate. Moreover, not only does Folder Lock encrypt folders on the computer but also on the USB drive, this is a huge plus for me.
ConsThe precious versions were less secure but I do not have any reservations about the recent version. However, the price is a bit expensive for personal use.
May 3, 2019
Nisar A.
Invoice Support Executive
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
April 27, 2019

“Best to hide data”

OverallMust go for it as it is totally free and secure your data from others and no one can access it when the folder is locked
ProsI use folder lock to hide my personal data from others. With folder lock we can just lock the folder and it will get hide and can only be open by providing your folder lock password. We can later unlock the folder and it again visible to everyone. Folder lock always ask for Master password when we open the folder lock app, so it provides more security to our data. It also provides us Protect USB/CD, encrypt files option
ConsThere is nothing i dislike with Folder lock
April 27, 2019
Dennis C.
CVSO
Government Administration, Self-employed
February 26, 2019

“Folder Lock has worked for me as advertised. ”

OverallIt solved my problem of how to quickly and easily secure data files both on a temporary and permanent basis.
ProsI have used Folder Lock for many years. Folder Lock has been seamless in all aspects as advertised. It provides me with a quick easy solution to securing any information I wish store. I like the fact I have a portion of my hard drive locked with Folder Lock. I only need to unlock it in the morning and it functions as a normal disk partition and or directory. I find it easy to transfer secure files to portable devices and maintain the security. For me Folder Lock has been an valuable and affordable addition to my security measures.
ConsI really don't have any complainants. When I fist installed it I used two different passwords. One to change administration settings and one to open Folder Lock. After installing it I had no reason to change the way it functions and had to scramble to remember the administrator password.
Alan S.
n/a
Information Services, Self-employed
February 25, 2019

“Folder Lock v 7.7.6 review”

OverallEncrypting my personal financial documents.
ProsOffers a real good variety of options to secure my data. Encrypt files and Protect USB are what I favor most.
ConsFL seems to get confused when I have both an encrypted file open and a protected USB device open. Sometimes when I close all related folders, and then try to close the locker, FL won't close the remaining locker. When I X-out of FL, it does prompt me with a warning, followed by it closing the locker. Then, when I try to eject my USB thumb drive, Windows tells me it's still open. Also, I'd like a local back-up locker option.
February 25, 2019
Chris G.
IT Coordinator
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
February 16, 2019

“Reliable tool for keeping your files secured”

OverallI have to secure quite some files because of confidentiality clauses and Folder Lock is doing just that for me in a very easy and reliable manner.
ProsVery easy to use, user friendly During the years called a couple of times to support desk, they helped very quickly Been relying on it during many years, never had a real issue
ConsJust one thing that sometimes causes a problem within Encrypted folders: sometimes the virtual drive can not be closed for some reason. The message states "files in use" but I am 100% sure not one file is in use at that time. No real issue, resolves itself after some time.
Nishith K.
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
March 1, 2019

“Folder Lock user for past 6 years”

OverallI use Folder lock to store documents and certificates.
ProsSoftware is easy to use and has military grade encryption. What I like best is the customer service that I will give 11 stars if possible - they have helped me transition folder lock over 3 computers over last 6 years without any issues.
ConsThe last transition to Windows 10 has been giving some warning about some Fat 32 file system issue. However I think this an be solved once I contact customer support. I don't care because it still encrypts the file as needed.
Vincent C.
Consultant
Architecture & Planning, Self-employed
February 28, 2019

“Reliable and user friendly software for day to day usage”

OverallI am confident using Folder Lock to protect all my sensitive documents and passwords.
ProsUser friendly interface. Useful two level passwords (general lock and locked files). Stable locking-unlocking function. Can lock all kinds of files. Great exportable wallet function. Super reactive customer service.
ConsThe whole wallet can close easily but sometimes it is not possible to close the locker inside due to interference with other applications like VPN, outlook etc....A bit frustrating. But at least the whole wallet can be closed.
Edward C.
Director of Technology
Government Administration, 51-200 employees
February 15, 2019

“In today's world extra security is need on ALL your important information. Folder Lock Does it!”

OverallWe have secured our information that otherwise would have been exposed during a breach in security and even while technicians log into your computer to help with software issues. With Folder Lock everything remains secure until you need it.
ProsThis software is easy to install and fairly easy to use. We have encrypted all our sensitive data. With Folder Lock even if someone gains access to your computer they cannot compromise your data and information that is locked within Folder Lock.
ConsIt is somewhat inconvenient to have to log into the folder every time you want to get your information. (Once a day if you choose that. We lock ours after every use) But in actuality it is a small price to pay for security.
Darren H.
Owner/Manager
Computer & Network Security, 1-10 employees
February 12, 2019

“Great Product”

OverallI have my own business and when I have to be out and away from my computer I know my files are safely locked from potential prying eyes. I totally recommend getting Folder Lock if you want important files safe
ProsI have been using Folder Lock for some years now snd has never let me down. I had an occasion to contact customer support once and they resolved the issue very quickly for me. It gives me peace of mind knowing the locked folders won't be seen by anyone but me.
ConsWhat is not to like? It is very functional and easy to use. Nothing about this I don't like.
February 12, 2019
Fred Y.
Consumer Goods, Self-employed

“Best Encryption Software”

OverallThis software offers another level of protection for very critical information that otherwise would be exposed. The Customer Service is prompt to respond to questions I had prior to buying and just as quick to respond after I bought. Thank you!
ProsWhat I liked most about this software: 1) This is not a subscription. 2) Offers online backup service. 3) Simple to use. 4) Makes encrypted file portable for use on CD or USB by making the encrypted file a .exe. 5) Can encrypt email attachments safely & easily. 6) Owners manual is a couple pages not a novel. 7) Requires no Advanced knowledge when delving into encryption. 8) Offers a backdoor-that you can close if you choose. 9) Offers a simpler manner of protection where you can just "Lock & Hide" files (if you have multiple users) instead of encrypting them. 10) Offers an on-screen keyboard to enter software password, bypassing any key-loggers. 11) Offers Encrypted Wallets that can be used for storing passwords and critical information to specific accounts. 12) Encryption is fast and information is not all batch unencrypted. 13) and its dang cheap!
ConsWhat I disliked about this software: 1) Does not have the ability to encrypt Email, only attachments. 2) Does not have a password generator or Log-in feature for websites. Neither of which are deal-breakers. In-all most large companies will encrypt email attachments in the same fashion. The crux is relaying the password to the recipient-beyond that its perfect. The password generator is easily overcome also.
Akos R.
IT technology / BI consultant
Information Technology and Services, 10,001+ employees
February 24, 2019

“Excellent and user friendly ”

OverallI use it for mainly personal reasons. However I could protect my work related files as well easily. Happy and satisfied with folderlock. Straight forward and so far NO annoying feature or function. Everything is easy to use and user friendly
ProsExcellent and user friendly. It is extremely easy to use in general. The support is helpful and active. Fast reply and helping with everything. Easy to use on other PC even without license and software installation.
ConsThe license can be active only at 1 PC. So I had to decide between my 2 laptop and PC.
February 24, 2019
Kevin C.
Retired
Telecommunications, Self-employed
February 22, 2019

“A great programme to protect folders from access.”

OverallI'm just a simple home user, but like most users I do have some files that I like to keep private & not accessible to others (especially if I were to die). Folder Lock does exactly what I want!
ProsI've used Folder Lock for quite a few years & whilst I only use it very occasionally I completely trust the security it offers. I store folders that I prefer others can't access on an external drive, I'm not sure if I could access these files should I use the external drive on another computer without installing the software first but believe this is an option as I used Folder Lock many years back to encrypt DVDs with a password, this worked well.
ConsI did for a while get a nag screen saying the programme was not registered, (it is fully legal) but this stopped occurring some time back so no complains! It may have related to temporary loss of an Internet connection?
Lauren T.
Business Manager
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

“Great Product!”

OverallBetween HIPAA and the increased risk of cyber attacks, this software really gives us the peace of mind that our sensitive data is being properly secured and protected. And it's nice that it's so easy to use!
ProsThis software is very easy to set up and use, and best of all, it gives me the peace of mind that our sensitive files are being properly secured.
ConsThere really aren't any down sides to this software, it's easy to use, affordable, and works well. I have been using Folder Lock since 2013 and there are no complaints here!
John W.
Accounting, 11-50 employees

“Secure for your worth”

OverallOur credit cards are all secure now! I can tell my customers, honestly, that their information is secured by three plus levels of password security
ProsThis software adds two to three layers of password security and encryption to our company files. We secure customer credit card information, employee personal information, other personal files with only two clicks. This is worth it!
ConsWrite down the passwords somewhere, if you forget a digit or letter you cannot get in. It's super good, but super bad if you contract amnesia somehow...
Higher Education, Self-employed
February 15, 2019

“simple but effective way to lock files and pictures”

OverallI use Folder Lock to secure a document containing all my passwords and logins for various systems and programs. I also use it to hide Christmas lists and other documents from my young daughter, who uses my computer and could stumble upon info about the veracity of Santa Claus, Elf on the Shelf, etc. It also holds sensitive records with protected information (social security numbers, health information, etc.). Finally, there are photos that I want to keep private and secure, so those are in Folder Lock too.
ProsIt's easy to use, and it doesn't require any connectivity to the internet once you set it up. I feel secure knowing files aren't floating around in the cloud somewhere.
ConsThere's a slight glitch sometimes when closing the locker, wherein if a certain window pops open, you can't get the program to close without using the task manager to end Folder Lock. This happens rarely, however, and I'm sure it's partly due to operator error.
John F.
Professor
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
February 15, 2019

“Folder Lock is perfect for work and home”

OverallI originally bought folder lock to protect data and personal information for work-related files. It was so easy to use I now protect personal and financial information at home too. When I replaced several computers I needed help to move the licenses and files, folder lock provided the required information immediately and the process worked perfectly.
ProsThe best thing about folder lock is that it is so easy to protect your information you actually do it; and the protection is so strong.
ConsIt is not as easy to move encrypted files to various computers as it is to move regular files.
Dr Peter G.
Company Director
Professional Training & Coaching, 1-10 employees
February 27, 2019

“Limitations of Folderlock”

OverallIts OK on the PC, but not so good ih android
ProsIts one of the best around. It is very secure with facilities for multiple lockers for different purposes' Its easy to use and reliable.
ConsThe instructions are inadequate and I can't puzzle out some of the features and what they do. A more detailed instrutio cvatalogue on each feature and how to use it is desperately necessary' I had great problems synching it with android and the andoid version does not work properly ( See my review in playstore
February 27, 2019
Fred C.
retired
Education Management, Self-employed
February 22, 2019

“Using Folder Lock Every Day”

OverallFor me it is all about security for my sensitive documents.
ProsI use Folder Lock to protect my tax forms, important papers, and different account passwords, especially for banks and investments. I use is every day. A couple of years ago I had someone invade my old computer with Folder Lock and they didn't get into the protected folder. In fact the guy who fixed the computer didn't even know it was on my computer.
ConsIt work very well for me. I can't think of any cons.
Jason S.
Principal Consultant
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees

“Simply Works”

OverallMy main use is protecting customer data and files that I create on my local system and in the cloud (everything is actually stored on Microsoft OneDrive). To this end, I've never had an issue and feel confident that my customer's data is well protected.
ProsIt just works as advertised. It's super-easy to create and use protected folders as well as work with the files within them.
ConsWay back when I first started using it, there were some issues, but these have all been resolved to my knowledge and in my experience.
Camiel W.
Software Engineer
Computer Software, Self-employed

“Awesome version 6”

OverallI can easily start and stop the program, so it is, for the extra layer of security, no hussle to do so. I use it for all files I want to keep secret from peeeing eyes. I am sure FolderLock is secure, because it needs only a single confession to break this company
ProsIn order: The ease of use, the speed, the service of NewSoftwares, te ease of installation
ConsVersion 7: It is a bit more complicated. That's why I do not use version 7 so often I still use version 6, but on Windows 7 - it is not compatible wit Windows 10
Chris G.
Business Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 employees

“Simple File Security”

OverallSecuring client, employee and vendor information is a big deal for any business. For a small business it needs to be done in an effective but affordable method. Folder Lock accomplishes that beautifully and effectively.
ProsAdds a simple but effective layer of data protection by making the files invisible unless you crack Folder Lock, which we haven't seen.
ConsThus far I have yet to have a negative experience with any aspect of this software and we've been using it now for several years.
Martin R.
president
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees

“Folder Lock review”

OverallIt works well most of the time. I have had to uninstall and reinstall 1 x when i tried to lock files, and the files were reported as locked, but were not not locked.
Prosworks well at hiding files when in lock mode easy to turn on locking and turn off locking
Consencrypt files sometimes claims program still running when no other programs are running, makes it difficult to turn off. you charge for encrypting usb and accessory hard disks. Veracrypt does it for free and very well.
Károly B.
Office and IT manager
Financial Services, 1-10 employees

“My experience with FL”

OverallBasically I wouldn't use software like FL, but the EU regulation of data protection known as the mighty GDPR, forces our office to use a locker like FL.
ProsIt does what it is supposed to do. Easy to use.
ConsWhen I using it FL wipes my custom Quick Access items. I had to save them and I must use a batch file to restore them whenever I use FL. Also when files in a protected folder are already in use (e.g. playlist files in a player) FL does not block the player to use those files when "Protection (On)" is set. Also it would be great if FL cleared the traces of files in protected folders from e.g. ccleaner, w10 timeline etc. Windows Explorer is known to restart itself sometimes for whatsoever reasons. It's not a big deal but if so FL cannot be restarted only if computer is restarted.
John M.
President of MOC, Surgeon
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees

“Keep your files secure”

Proseasy to compartmentalize secure files in a locked section of your hard-drive. can create multiple categories of secured data allowing access by password only to the compartment of data you wish to share with others. As others use my laptop for assigned tasks, I feel secure that they have no access to the files I put in folder lock
ConsGot to remember your passwords or you may be locked out of your own data.
Don L.
User
Hospitality, Self-employed
February 15, 2019

“Overall good product, one major flaw”

OverallOverall a good product and one I am happy with. If the "update" flag issue was resolved, I would give this a "10".
ProsIn all the years using this software, I don't think it has ever crashed or locked up. The interface is simple (although it deviates slightly from some of the Windows standards, i.e. the "Minimize" and "Restore" icons in the upper right). It is fast to open and close.
ConsThe way the software updates the locked folder doesn't trigger an "update" flag, so Windows (and third-party products) don't know that the file has changed. This is a problem because neither the OneDrive nor Google Drive products re-sync the file after the folder is closed. This means that I have to do a manual backup. I reached out to Folder Lock tech support twice about this issue and they did not offer a solution.
Cindy C.
Accounting, Self-employed
February 15, 2019

“Great software for accountants”

OverallI am able to lock down my clients sensitive data and know that I can unlock the drive work on my clients, and then lock it back down again in a mouse click. Simple, Easy, SECURE
ProsI love the ease of locking down my client data drive, it gives me the confidence of additional security. I also use their flash drive lock software, so I don't have to worry about someone stealing data, should I loose my flash drive.
ConsCustomer service is a bit lacking, I can only hope it gets better.
Nisar N.
IT Security
Computer & Network Security, 10,001+ employees

“Folder Lock Reviews”

ProsThis software is very reliable and extremely secure. It has very good features likes locking portable USB drives and USB external hard disks. It also has additional features like encryption which is more secure than just to lock a folder or drive and no one can access the data without the password.
ConsThis software may not work very well with older versions of Windows like Windows 7 but it works very well with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Jori E.
Student
Computer Software, 10,001+ employees

“Review for FolderLock”

OverallOverall I've had good experiences with FolderLock, all the problems I had can be solved. The support is definitely slow to get an answer if you email them. I would suggest to just send them a message on Facebook as they reply a lot quicker though there.
ProsI love how easy the software is to use and how it encrypts your lockers. I use FolderLock to store all my randomly generated passwords so I never have to worry about remembering them. It is a great software with a non-expensive price.
ConsThere are a couple of things, when I first installed FolderLock it would cause my computer to crash whenever I created a new locker, this was fixed though by just uninstalling and reinstalling again. Another thing is that I wish the mobile version of FolderLock also encrypts data, it does not unfortunately (told by support).
Pierre A C.
Conseiller en intégration des systemes
Information Technology and Services, 5001-10,000 employees
March 1, 2019

“NewSotfwares.Net - Folder Lock 7”

OverallMy overall experience with Folder Lock 7 as been an user friendly one for all my PC's since 2014. YES, I would personally recommend this NewSotfwares.Net application for professional and personal use of sensitive information.
ProsWhat I like most about Folder Lock 7 is the ability to securely set-up my Locker exactly where I want it. Whether it be on a Network drive or a Local drive...it works...securely! In addition, once Folder Locker 7 is unlocked, it can be opened in a variant of "Map drives" as Read-Write or Read Only.
ConsWhat I least like about Folder Lock 7 is that all the information stored can easily be deleted by any user; unless an administrative password is set in active directory or folder properties. I believe this security feature should have been integrated into Folder Locker 7 during it development phase or provided as an update.
Aqueel A.
Automotive, 1-10 employees

“Lock Folder”

OverallSo far i am happy but I feel like there should be improvements towards Quick Access folders. Every time the lock folder locks its self Everything disappears from the Quick Access. Kind of Annoying
ProsThere are lots of cool new features in Lock folders and it will do what it's designed for your important documents . This product works as described
ConsI think every time the window releases a major update. Lock folder stops some of it's functionalities
Rasika B.
Tech Lead
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
February 26, 2019

“Serves the Main Purpose of the Software Very Well”

OverallI mainly use this software for lock folders with my private data. Up to now, it has served my purpose very well.
ProsThe ease to use. It is very easy to lock the folders and get those back. I frequently use this and it has helped me a lot.
ConsSometimes, when I tried to lock a new folder, it didn't lock (or hide) at the first attempt. In some cases, I had to try for many times redoing it. Sometimes, it automatically hid after several days.
Roger D.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees
February 26, 2019

“A reliable solution for security of my Data”

OverallCompany results and projects are safe and distribution is controlled.
ProsThis software was the solution to solve a problem with nosy persons by providing me with less files available at anytime on my PCs.I can work on this drive without leaving an unlocked copy anywhere.
ConsWould have liked to receive upgrades more frequently to keep it up to date. Very hard to re-install when having to re configure a change of PC software.