ZipBooks Ratings

Overall

About ZipBooks

ZipBooks is modern accounting, invoicing, and time tracking software for small businesses, contractors and accountants. ZipBooks makes managing your business simpler. Get paid with credit card or Paypal easily. Powerful, easy-to-use reports, industry best practices, and smart recommendations from ZipBooks help you make even smarter decisions. Learn more about ZipBooks

Caitlin J.
Digital Marketing Specialist
April 11, 2018

“I'm a ZipBooks Fangirl! I've tried several accounting options & they provide the best value!”

OverallI've been able to spend less time on my accounting. I don't have to create reports, ZipBooks does it all based on my chart of accounts and other information. The customer service is super fantastic and supportive. The help files are well written, concise and easy to understand. The cost is low and the tiered pricing system is really fair. I can connect multiple accounts and add staff to my account. I can use time tracking, set up automatic invoices, pre-set items and tasks, add documents, just to name a few! My personal account is turned into a profile which is hosted on their system. My clients can leave reviews and potential clients can find and contact me.
ProsBeside the cost (I'm on the pro version and it's still cheaper than the basic version of Xero and others), it automatically creates all the reports I need and shows them in a way that means I don't need an accounting degree! So my general ledger, my profit and loss statements - it's all there for me! Everything is so simple to use that I spent the first couple of weeks overthinking the whole thing - because it can't be that simple right?! The layout is so easy to navigate, the chart of accounts is simple to understand, and when I need a hand (I've managed to mess things up in my ignorance of double entry accounting) the customer support team are right there and get my problem sorted so quickly!
ConsMy biggest con is that it's really USA-centric. I'm not in the States so I can't connect my bank account to the system so I have to manually import my statements. For me, it's well worth the effort because the system saves me time and stress in so many other ways. Also I'm a sole trader so I don't have many accounts to sort out. I can imagine it would be different for someone with a bigger company or more regular turnover.
April 11, 2018
Aviation & Aerospace, 1-10 employees
September 4, 2019

“User-friendly software underpinned by prompt, professional support”

OverallOur overall experience has been positive. Thus far, we have not encountered any problems.
Pros1.The software is easier to use than it even appears. This makes it simpler for non-finance people who may find themselves required to attend to such matters e.g. Start-ups, local SME's and EME's etc. 2. The support team are atypically, prompt and efficient. In our experience with online support from other service providers, there is more often than not a delay in responding, be it short or long. In some instances, the support staff have not had the expertise to offer guidance or solve elementary problems. The ZipBooks team is impressively swift and knowledgeable.
ConsInitially, it appeared that functions such as customer month end statements and a few others could not be generated. After one or two chats with online support and the discovery of the numerous, yet concise, online documents, I realised that such functions are, indeed, included. Not only that, but also that the majority of questions are very likely covered and one can solve one's own queries if one looks for the relevant document. Perhaps it would be useful to users if this was highlighted or flagged and doing so may reduce the enquiries that your online support team have to attend to.

By ZipBooks on September 6, 2019
Thanks so much--happy to help!
September 4, 2019
CJ S.
Owner/Photographer
Photography, Unspecified
October 9, 2017

“Not perfect, but constantly improving and Customer Support is the best with super fast replys! ”

ProsI run a photography+subcontractor business. I've been with Zipbooks since before they started charging a fee (switched from freshbooks) and let me tell you, there were definitely some major growing pains. The good new is that they listened to the customers and would always solve problems quickly. The gap between Zipbooks and Quickbooks/Freshbooks/etc.. used to be cavernous, but that gap is almost unnoticeable now. The interface is ridiculously easy to understand and flows really well. It's the best user interface experience I've had for accounting software. Costumer service has been nothing short of impressive. I'm an accounting/bookkeeping newb and the customer support has basically trained me how to do my own accounting. They have this great chat button that's always in the bottom right corner so you can easily ask questions and get answers like if you were chatting with a friend on facebook messenger. The company has a long way to go to being the best, but they certainly have the chops for it! I would high
ConsThe fact that I can't mark an invoice as paid from the list view. I don't like the extra step of clicking through to the individual invoice. But, it's a minor inconvenience.
October 9, 2017
Andrea M.
Consultant
Marketing and Advertising, Self-employed
October 5, 2017

“Simple bookkeeping for businesses”

OverallI've been using this for about the last year and started when it was free to use. For what it was then and for as simple as it is, it serves my needs at the moment but it's a little difficult to use with my workflow so I feel like I'll probably outgrow it at some point. I do primarily project based work, tracking time and billing hourly. I don't sell anything through an inventory but will add expenses to an invoice. This software works great for that though it would probably work for something with a light inventory or commonly used services as well. Overall, it's a good value and worth testing out but it may not work as well for every business model.
ProsAdd expenses, track time, create projects, create tasks within projects, print out accounting reports, send invoices and receive payments in app, recurring invoicing available, ability to set up reminders automatically
ConsVisually clean but not as streamlined to use. Projects can't be created on the fly in the time tracking app, but have to be created ahead of time. Still quick to do but it's an extra step. Same for tasks within projects. They must be created ahead of time too, though each project automatically creates a General task. Invoice design is simple and clean but there's not much that can be customized beyond the logo.
October 5, 2017
Diego L.
Owner, Chief Visionary
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
August 14, 2017

“I love ZipBooks! Easy to use, beautiful invoices, and a solid time tracker”

OverallSaved time, beautiful invoices, reliable and integrated time tracker
ProsI love the fact that I can set up and send an invoice in a few minutes, pulling in existing products and services (complete with description). The addition of a time tracker was unexpected and very appreciated! I use it to keep track of the hours spent on certain projects with those clients that prefer hourly payment over per-project pricing. ZipBooks also allows for past hours tracked that are unpaid to be automagically pulled into a new or an existing invoice, making it super simple to make sure everything is included in an invoice before sendoff. The invoices are simple, clean, beautiful and there is an "include PDF" option when sending out the invoice to clients (for those that prefer to print out and save their invoices). The customer support is phenomenal -- the support staff is friendly and helpful.
ConsIt's still a relatively new software, and I was one of the early adopters, so there were a few minor bugs and quirks in the past. The good thing is, most of the bugs are squashed, and the roadmap for the future of the app looks very bright!

By ZipBooks on August 14, 2017
Thanks for the great review, Diego. Glad you stuck it out with us!
August 14, 2017
Jack D.
Co-Founder, Account Director
March 16, 2018

“A great invoicing and accounting solution for small agencies and freelancers”

OverallA highly functional and easy-to-use platform for client invoicing and accounting.
ProsZipbooks is a phenomenal tool for invoicing and billing clients. As a digital agency, our team does all of our estimating, invoicing, billing, time tracking and accounting through Zipbooks, and it's been a great experience. The platform has seen continuous improvement throughout 2017 and 2018, so I have a lot of confidence that we'll continue to run our business through Zipbooks.
ConsThe slick interface comes to be a burden when reconciling transactions - if you're not an accountant by trade, it can be easy to make a mistake and have difficulty correcting it due to the streamlined presentation. After struggling with this, I've been able to refine my reporting process to work well with Zipbooks. The project management tool/time tracking was a bit weak but it is getting better and I'm happy to see the service improve. I would also like to see support for signing contracts/agreements for related invoices.
March 16, 2018
Mike W.
Owner/Architect/Engineer
December 18, 2017

“Great software with outstanding technical support”

ProsThe software itself is fairly straightforward and easy to use, although for someone who doesn't know accounting that well it sometimes can be slightly confusing. What is really great though is that their support team is very knowledgeable and can not only help solve technical issues but can also help explain what their software means to you from an accounting standpoint. Invoicing is simple and easy to use, integration to bank and credit card accounts continues to improve, and they continue to enhance the set of reports available to help you understand how your business is doing.
ConsIt's fairly minor stuff - the graph on the main page of the application assumes you are using accrual basis accounting, and that ends up misrepresenting the numbers you see if you are using cash basis accounting. I also don't like that I can define that my business uses cash basis but the reports always default to accrual. It would be nice to understand how the business health score is calculated, as mine continues to decrease despite the fact that I thought my business was continuing to improve.
December 18, 2017
John M.
Freelancer
Computer Software, Self-employed
August 22, 2017

“Great app for small business and freelancers accounting and bookkeeping”

ProsI have been using Zipbooks since last year and I have enjoyed the ease of use. They clean interface is very appealing. Have basic project management with tasks. My most used feature is invoicing which takes away my need to send invoices via email. Expense tracking is also on point. So far I'm using Zipbooks as my default bookkeeping software. They were kind enough to extend a forever plan being an early adopter. Support team is very responsive.
ConsProject management is very basic. I had to do a lot of manual work merging repeating transactions when I connected PayPal account and bank account since PayPal was pulling money from the bank. It would be nice to have a system that detects duplicate transactions. Changing a transaction that is attached to a paid invoice turned the invoice to draft even if the invoice was marked as paid.

By ZipBooks on August 22, 2017
John, Glad you are loving ZipBooks. Also, thanks for the feedback on things we can improve!
August 22, 2017
Derek C.
Creative Director
December 30, 2016

“Simply Amazing”

OverallZipBooks is the perfect bookkeeping solution for my small business! It allows me to add client details, business expenses and payments received from clients. There is also a great quotation feature built into the app that includes project management and time tracking. Generating an invoice from an existing project or quote only takes a click of a button (how awesome is this?!) and manual invoices can be added too. My favorite feature is the recurring invoices which get sent automatically and even allows me to set payment reminders for those that have not been marked as paid. Believe it or not, these reminders do work! ZipBooks also has great reporting features which shows you your total revenue for the past 12 months, an expense report, income per client, outstanding payments, tax and more. Oh, I forgot to mention, all of this is free! You can also accept payments via the internet but this isn't supported in my country yet. ZipBooks saves me loads hours every month and lots of paper (everything is backed up securely in the cloud), the app and its development/support team definitely add value to my life. Oh yeah, there's also an iPhone app for when I'm on the move or need to generate a quote for a client immediately :-) If you're looking for great bookkeeping software, this is it.
ProsRecurring invoices, payment reminders, great support, iPhone app, quotation system, easy to use report features, integration with Slack.
ConsCan only accept internet payments with American banks.
Recommendations to other buyersGreat product, use it!
December 30, 2016
Alex V.
Design, Self-employed
March 4, 2019

“Clean, powerful bookkeeping software”

OverallZipBooks is perfect for my small business, though they have options for expansion (payroll, etc.) I have had no major complaints so far and I think the platform is a great option if you're new to bookkeeping or experienced and want an alternative to some of the other major competitors.
ProsZipBooks has a very clean interface. All the data is so clear. It's a fast platform and it's easy to navigate. All the backend is there too if you're an experienced bookkeeper looking for flexibility.
ConsThe mobile app has a few bugs that are very obvious. Incorrect account balances and poor sorting of time tracking 'jobs.' Some of these bugs have been ongoing since I signed up, and a few have been fixed. I hope they keep improving the app.
March 4, 2019
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
February 19, 2019

“Zipbooks for personal/business accounting”

OverallI have used many other book keeping softwares during the past 5-6 years for my personal / business use. But Zip books is the easiest tool among all those solutions. Ease of use, Features, Mobile app view are some of the features that i like the most
ProsTime Tracking and generate invoices for those times for a particulate project is once of the greatest feature that zip books has. Other than that it would be very cost efficient and also very easy for a business to use this solution for there book keeping. Support team is really quick and helpful on the support queries. This is a all in one solution where you can handle accounts for multiple businesses easily.
ConsAmount of restrictions that applied during the free tire is higher in count when this is compared with other solutions.
February 19, 2019
Enrique O.
Managing Consultant / Owner
Information Technology and Services, Self-employed
July 3, 2017

“Exceptional value to this cloud-based accounting software. Compared to many other popular solutions”

OverallSaved on monthly unnecessary accounting fees using this service and the software fit my small business without having to worry about getting stuck with bells and whistles I didn't need.
ProsEasy to use, Great Customer Service, Available when you need it, Accounting made easy and management of clients is great. Invoicing is a breeze, even on the fly. Swayed from Wave Accounting for Zipbooks time keeping feature and decided against Quickbooks because of its pricing structure.
ConsManaging transactions is automated with your linked bank account. But, entering transactions manually is tricky. The user must keep a close eye on transactions so the software reconciles accurately. But, this could be relevant to any accounting software...
July 3, 2017
Chad K.
Working Artist and Designer
Design, Self-employed
July 5, 2017

“A wonderful tool. Very intuitive and simple design. ”

OverallIt helps me prep for tax season throughout the year, rather than doing everything right before the deadline. Also, the invoicing is embedded in the software so there is no more cross referencing pdf invoices with bank statements for payout amounts.
ProsThe simple design is the most attractive part of this software to me. So many other accounting programs are not very streamlined and simple, but Zipbooks has been very easy to use, inexpensive and the customer service is very helpful and timely.
ConsBecause I have an untraditional business model without regular payments, the business score and analytics about business health are not very helpful and actually make me feel like my business isn't as strong as it actually is. I'd prefer to turn them off if I could! But that's a very small con. I also wish I could export a list of individual expenses with their category listed but screenshots will do for now!
July 5, 2017
Susan B.
Board of Directors
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
January 5, 2017

“ZipBooks - Perfect for a Hobby turned Small Business!”

OverallThe ZipBooks staff have been very responsive and willing to help. The software is free to use, however, there is a $1.25 charge per Paypal transaction when a customer pays via ZipBooks invoice. It provides basic accounting features that would work well for a person who is turning their hobby into a small business or a small contract business. If you are new to accounting, ZipBooks is perfect. If you are accustomed to accounting software, then this free software isn't for you. It doesn't yet have dynamic reporting features, ie no balance sheet or clickable fields to expand a data field on the Income Statement. If your business is small and you are going to keep it that way, ZipBooks is perfect. If your business is thriving and growing, invest in paid software as you'll quickly grow out of ZipBooks. That said, I'm told they have changes in the works so maybe this won't hold true in the near future.
ProsEasy to use for someone with no accounting knowledge. Perfect for an MLM or hobby turned business. I love, love, love that their customer service is responsive.
ConsThe reporting features are seriously lacking. No balance statement, COG's are lumped together on the Income Statement, no division of income sources and no field on the Income Statement is clickable for a detailed report. Invoice and Expense pages are long with one arrow to the next page on the top and when editing an invoice or expense and saving, you are brought to the "1-50" page instead of the current page you were working on.
Recommendations to other buyersIt is my hope and belief that this software will grow in time. Currently, it is without a doubt an infant accounting program. In the foreseeable future, it could compete with QuickBooks.
Ruth B.
Administrative
January 26, 2018

“I have utilized the on-line customer support as I am not a trained bookkeeper.”

OverallThe ease of invoices being able to be tracked and simple so all can understand it.
ProsFor this software things I like and appreciate the best is the customer support. I have needed on-line chat several times and they always answer, but goes a step farther in teaching me what I need to know to prevent this mistake from happening again and repeating. I also like how easy it is create an invoice.
ConsThe cons for me or a limited amount reports, lack of export options, and the large difference in categories.
January 26, 2018
Roy L.
Restaurant Owner
Food & Beverages, 1-10 employees
August 7, 2019

“It's FREE!!!”

OverallBeing looking for this type of cloud system for sometimes, i'm so excited when i found this product and it was free to use. It automate a lot of things and i dont have to worry about loosing date anymore =)
ProsI'm using the free version, it's good enough for me to track my profit or loss. The invoice section is very good as well, just enter the blanks and it's all auto. The best part is the support, because i am getting full support although i am using the free version.
ConsShould consider to give us more access in the Income Statement report. The Income statement report is more than enough for my operation, sometime just wish i can click on the amount and it will show me the details. But this feature only available in paid version. I am still waiting for the Android version to be release, then i can easily snap and store my suppliers invoices and receipts.

By ZipBooks on August 9, 2019
Thanks so much Roy!
August 7, 2019
Robin L.
March 1, 2018

“Zipbooks makes it easy for me to manage accounting for my consulting business.”

ProsThe user interface is intuitive and easy! I like that I don't have to be an accounting pro to get set up and start invoicing clients. My clients love how easy it is to pay me. They click a couple of buttons and they are done, which means faster payments and more efficient accounting for me!
ConsBecause I don't understand accounting, I had some trouble reconciling some of the charges/credits and couldn't "undo" what I'd done very easily. It's not the most forgiving, however, their customer service was top notch in helping me solve the issue for no additional charges. I thought I'd have to hire someone to fix it, and they gave me free advice to help me fix it myself.
March 1, 2018
Hospitality, 1-10 employees
April 3, 2019

“Great for a small business for accounting and invoicing”

ProsI love the simplicity of ZipBooks and that it doesn't require a software installation. It has all the features I need to run my business without having to pay or wade through features I don't need.
ConsNothing so far. If my needs expand I can migrate to something more robust.
April 3, 2019
Debbie F.
Program Manager
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
April 24, 2018

“ZipBooks provided simple software and it grew with me - from free to inexpensive.”

OverallI started with accounting but now I use it for invoicing and time tracking. I can share with other users as well. Reports are easy to see and simple to use.
ProsYou don't need to be certified to use it! Unlike other accounting options :). It was easy to use, the reports were great and it helped for invoicing, time tracking and accounting.
ConsThey are still growing their integrations to work with other software and solutions so you can't connect with very many apps outside paypal, stripe, and wepay.
April 24, 2018
Nawahl R.
Owner/manager
January 20, 2016

“Simple, Neat and easy to use! Perfect for a small business”

OverallIt took me all of 5 minutes to figure everything out. At first I was a bit disappointed that the date format could not be set to South African standard, but when I noticed that the date very clearly appeared, printed in full on the finished documents that can get sent/printed out, I think its completely ok. I love that I could easily use my own logo. I love how everything automatically gets tracked. I love that its free! Its been really useful in my small and growing business, to keep track of all my income and expenses without me having to know much about accounting and without having to hire an accountant, on top of keeping all the receipts, written invoices and other transaction docs. It just simplifies life. I guess a complete accounting system is probably necessary when a business gets bigger, but for a small growing business and a newbie entrepreneur, who just needs a simple income statement, Zipbooks is the perfect tool to get one in the game, staying organized, tracking expenditure and income and having automated outputs that allow one to assess where to improve and streamline the business. The messaging system is pretty nice too. The response to queries from the Zipbooks team is quick and clear and quite personalized, which I'm very impressed by. Zipbooks is perfect.
January 20, 2016
Leigh P.
Officiant/Civil Celebrant - Wedding in KC
June 27, 2018

“Great Customer Service”

OverallFor small business, it's perfect.
ProsThe software is user friendly. Easy to re-set up our company. Like the on-line look from the customer's point of view. It's easy to complete.
ConsI do find it a bit frustrating that I cannot find out WHEN my deposits are estimated to hit my bank. It's either that it doesn't exist in the software, or that it's difficult, even for a daily user, to find it in the menu system.
June 27, 2018
Computer Software, Unspecified
March 20, 2018

“Indispensable tool for managing the books of a small to medium business”

OverallAt tax time, my job is significantly easier!
ProsZipBooks makes tax time easy - in the past I struggled to gather all the information needed to file taxes for our small business - after using ZipBooks for the last year, taxes are a breeze and I no longer dread the day(s) spent preparing my tax returns.
ConsI wish there was a little more on the free tier - they do a lot to make you buy a subscription, which is an understandable business model, but sometimes I wish things like syncing a bank account more than once a day (especially if you have to change your password on the banking website) were included in the free tier.
March 20, 2018
MICHAEL E.
Retail, Self-employed
June 21, 2017

“Was GREAT, Recently VERY DISAPPOINTED”

OverallEasy to use, you just cant get your money
ProsEasy to use, no frills, perfect for small business. Makes the daily chore of bookkeeping fairly easy.
ConsCAN"T GET YOUR PAYMENTS!!! this is the second time that my payments are not posting to my account. Customer service is responsive, but point the finger at their processor. that does not get me paid. My customers orders have been delayed because of a ZIPBOOKS issue. I have been waiting for my payments to be released for now in 12 days. This is completely unacceptable. They used to be completely free now they want you to upgrade and pay a monthly fee to use the advanced services, but suddenly can't process payments in a timely manner, or in my case at all. Just something to think about before you start using this service. If you NEED to get paid, might want to find another service.
June 21, 2017
July 25, 2018

“Intuitive time tracking product that makes billing tracking a basic process”

ProsNice UI, very easy to use and teach new team members how to track their time per projects. Makes a simple process (project time tracking) a simple task for team members to achieve per week.
ConsThe mobile applications can use some work. The iOS application is pretty buggy, but accessed through the web, it is pretty flawless.
July 25, 2018
Andrew R.
Founder/President
October 18, 2018

“ZipBooks isn't what it seems”

OverallOverall, if you are an individual looking for a cool interface to keep a general ledger, this is a cool system. It's absolutely NOT a system of businesses. As a small business, I simply can't afford spending hours trying to may a paid system work. In this day, software shouldn't need someone holding it's hand. There are better systems out there and well worth the larger cost. Hopefully this can save someone else from headaches. Move on, you'll be glad you skipped this system.
ProsA beautiful interface with a clean layout gives you the first impression you are in an elegant accounting program. It also gives you step by step guides to connect banks and the progress of your connections. The ai is smart and will often correctly label your transactions.
ConsThe most major problem is, the software doesn't connect correctly to my Credit Union. It would show a balance of 3-4 past transactions, however have ALL the transactions in there. Working with customer service is annoyingly slow. Response times in my experience have been days and I am a paid member. Along with the responses are silly gifs some people may dig, but when you have a problem, it's downright insulting. After customer service realizing I was on an old system, they had it upgraded and wanted me to re-connect my Credit Union. As a result every transaction was gone! So years of balancing my business was vaporized. Thank god I didn't trust their customer service rep and exported everything prior to doing such a poor suggestion.
October 18, 2018
Brian L.
Market Manager
July 8, 2018

“Use this app frequently to pass time and to get a nice read!”

ProsGreat app! They provide the best reads of the day, week and month. Working in NYC , very convenient to walk into a Barnes n Nobles and get a quick peak of today's best read.
ConsBest reads are often repeated. On days I actually want to check out what to read and noticing it before is a turn off.
July 8, 2018
Orlando M.
Web Development Project Manager
January 19, 2018

“Powerful freeware! Easy to understand interface. Fairly easy to use. Very satisfied!”

ProsThis software connects with your bank account and automatically syncs transactions and auto-categorizes transactions. I've only been using for a few days, but have not had an issue with the auto-categorization of expenses and revenues. Saves a lot of time. I also like the auto-generated financial statements. Goof feature for free software.
ConsI did have to brush up on some accounting fundamentals to ensure I am recording transactions correctly. It would be nice if they had some tips/descriptions of different types of transactions and how to properly record them. Was able to figure it all out through Google search though.
January 19, 2018
Nava H.
Student
Biotechnology, Self-employed
December 4, 2018

“Zipbook”

ProsIt it enormously usable for the stuff I daily face with
ConsI see almost no problem in this application
December 4, 2018
Alessandra O.
Private consultant
Research, Self-employed
July 17, 2017

“Anytime i have an issue (usually me not being very technological) i get a professional solution! ”

OverallAccountancy in order
ProsIt would be crazy not to appreciate it!!! It is of fundamental help for my work. I can create, edit, send, download an invoice from anywhere in the world with just my phone qnd few clicks. I used to have all invoice scattered everywhere in my personal computer, home computer. Now i have everything with me at all time
ConsMaybe the renovation is too often so what happens is that you can't keep up with it all the time. This is the only thing
July 17, 2017
Jason B.
Senior Systems Admin
Information Services, 1-10 employees
September 11, 2019

“Solid solution with great customer care”

OverallI can't imagine doing my billing without it. It's easy to use, it has great functionality, and in the rare occasion I have problems, the support team is on point and engaged with a great attitude and ownership of the problem. Excellent job!!
ProsIt's very easy to use with minimal issues.
Cons10 day turn around on payment of invoices
September 11, 2019
Paul H.
Realtor
Real Estate, 201-500 employees
February 12, 2018

“Best DIY accounting software”

ProsZipbooks is the best and easiest accounting software available out there. I know this because I free tried them all. They differentiate themselves bye the ease of use and the app that is above and beyond user-friendly. I have access to all the features that I need even though I'm on the free plan so with the upgrade you can get access to the most powerful features available. I recommend the software strongly to everyone. Paul
ConsI'm waiting for the Android phone app to be released soon. They are expecting to be released in the beginning of the second quarter of 2018
February 12, 2018
Tracy L.
Voice-Over Talent
January 5, 2018

“I love this user-friendly service!”

OverallIt makes it easy and fast to get paid--don't we all want that?
ProsIt's easy-to-use and I don't have to read endless tutorials to figure it out. A close second is that it accepts PayPal and credit card payments--my clients love it!
ConsI think some of the expenses categories are confusing/unnecessary. I would also like to see some customization of expense categories, though this is perhaps something that is offered and I have yet to learn how to do.
January 5, 2018
Mary B.
Video producer
June 14, 2017

“I use for business and personal accounting actually.”

ProsColor coding, clean interface, simple to use so that I actually am able and motivated to keep up with my accounting. Love the option to outsource bookkeeping as I scale. Custom categories are really nice, too. Love ability to add docs to transactions and link transactions to certain clients.
ConsI don't like that bulk-categorization was removed from free accounts without notice or at least a free trial of the next paid tier account so we could understand whether we should upgrade. I also don't like that there's no cash flow statement at this time under reporting.

By ZipBooks on June 19, 2017
Mary, Thanks for the great feedback! We are finalizing the details on providing early ZipBookers exclusive options from free forever to preferred pricing. Regarding the specific feature of bulk categorization, I'll take a look at your account and see why you aren't able to use that. Can you send your account details to help@zipbooks.com? With regards to accessing our cash flow statement, if you set the income statement to "cash basis", you'll be all set! Thanks! Brad
June 14, 2017
Janet L.
COO
Real Estate, 51-200 employees
May 31, 2018

“Responsive Leadership & Support Team”

OverallIt has saved us so much time and frustration and they are responsive to customer feedback.
Pros- Simple, Attractive User Interface. Not difficult to learn or teach staff. Easy for customers to interact with. - Shout out to the support staff who has been stellar at listening and resolving issues.
ConsGrowing company always have hiccups but they are always responsive and willing to listen to customers and fix things ASAP
May 31, 2018
Kathleen N.
Retail, Self-employed
June 1, 2018

“No other way to go than ZipBooks - 100% Satisfied!”

OverallBookkeeping service available to me via chat. Wonderful Bookkeepers such as Karin to help me along. Categorization help, ability to have a business report readily available any day. I love this program.
ProsExtremely easy to use interface. Live chat option with a bookkeeper, preset categorization, help every step of the way, ability to track EVERYTHING about my business.
ConsNo inventory tracking feature. I would love more freedom in setting up my invoices. I need more options because my products vary. Also no intergration with eBay. But I still love the software.
June 1, 2018
Annie S.
Administrative Consultant, Business Owner
January 3, 2018

“Awesomesauce!”

ProsClean, simple user interface. Customer support via Chat is extremely responsive - even on holidays - imagine that. Everything I need; invoicing, time tracking, sending custom receipts for checks and cash, simple P&L reports. Love it! I am recommending this service to all of my clients that have a need.
ConsMaybe it's just me, being a numbers derelict and all, but some of the features (the things you need to do) are not that easy to find. However on the bright side, if you ask a question, you will usually get a fast straight answer.
January 3, 2018
Corey D.
Creative Director / UX Designer
Music, Unspecified
October 4, 2017

“Zipbooks is a MUST for anyone who is a freelance graphic designer!”

OverallSimply, organization for my business and invoicing needs. Excited to demo the time tracking functionality soon too!
ProsExcellent user interface design and dashboard. Super easy to navigate with a strong attention to the information architecture. Intuitive invoicing software. Amazing customer service!
Cons5 day waiting period for payments was frustrating at first. Eventually, I was able to learn how to drop this down to a 2 days. Also, some functionality took me a bit to figure out. But customer service was able to answer my questions within a matter of minutes!
October 4, 2017
Christopher M.
Freelance Developer
August 7, 2017

“ZipBooks gives me a simple, but powerful alternative to QuickBooks Online, at 1/3 the cost ”

ProsThe interface is very modern, responsive, and easy to navigate. I moved from QuickBooks to ZipBooks due to a recent price increase, and I haven't looked back. It has most of the features from QuickBooks that I needed, plus I actually enjoy working in ZipBooks because the app just works.
ConsIt could allow a bit more invoice customization, like being able to set a NET-15 / NET-30 on a recurring invoice rather than it being due on receipt. Other than that, it's worked pretty well.
August 7, 2017
Religious Institutions, 51-200 employees
January 11, 2018

“Gamechanger for how I do online coaching/consulting.”

OverallStreamlined my invoicing system.
ProsAt the end of this day, this has streamlined how I send invoices and receive payments, without having to think about the software. That's a win for me.
ConsThere are some aspects of the UI that feel a bit bloated and unnecessary. Could be streamlined some.
January 11, 2018
Sarah K.
Executive Vice President
1-10 employees
June 22, 2017

“Great Product”

ProsOur nonprofit was looking for easy to use software for our accounting. Not only is this easy, it is nice to look at too. And all web based means no more downloads on my computer! Linking a bank account was very easy! The mobile apps help as well. Customer service responded in under 12 hours!!!
ConsThey only have an app for IOS, No Android app yet, however I was informed it will be here late summer! (very excited about that)
June 22, 2017
July 10, 2018

“Great way to keep your accountancy ”

ProsReally good tool to help you with the accounting books of startup, you can create online invoices, track time, bills, etc
ConsIt is a very complete software and easy to use, I have no complaints about this software, really it works very good
July 10, 2018
Diego D.
October 26, 2017

“ZipBooks has helped me get organized and look professional. The support is excellent”

ProsZipBooks is extremely simple to use. It helps with organization of contacts, invoices, drafts, estimates, Billing and it even creates reports. For no cost you can use ZipBooks to get organized and start invoicing clients, even accepting electronic payments and linking bank accounts. The mobile interface is also simple to use and effective, so creating invoices on the go is not a problem.
October 26, 2017
Bryan D.
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
August 30, 2017

“Simple, intuitive, customer support responds super quick.”

OverallOrganizes our billing and record keeping and helps us accept payments faster and on a recurring basis.
ProsCheap, clean and easy to use. Customer support is wicked fast. I am blown away about how intuitive the software is. Easy to import lists and accept payments. Looks super professional.
ConsWould like more short video tutorials and fees always seem high, just need to keep building our revenue through this site and that would seem less.
August 30, 2017
Catrina W.
Peer Specialist
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
October 10, 2018

“Great for Feedback!”

OverallI've used ZipBooks on and off for less than a year for personal and small business.
ProsI like ZipBooks feedback functionality - the ease of which you can receive reviews, and how it incorporates the most popular social media.
ConsI don't like that I can't track inventory. I'll need to have, open and use an additional program for inventory and figure out how to incorporate them.
October 10, 2018
Restaurants, 11-50 employees
August 13, 2019

“Great For Basic Scenarios”

ProsEasy to pull reports when I need them. Used to have bookkeepers as well
ConsCan't easily do deferred revenue, so it's not ideal for SaaS where upfront payments are involved

By ZipBooks on August 20, 2019
Thanks for your review!
August 13, 2019
John P.
Founder and Creative Director
January 5, 2017

“The perfect set of tools for my tiny agency”

OverallI switched to Zipbooks from another accounting platform and was amazed at how simple and well-thought-out it is. And for free! I was able to get set up in less than an hour, and it lacks nothing I need for estimating and invoicing for projects. It's also nice to have the time-tracking and project-tracking functions for the future. Great job, guys!
ProsEasy to set up and easy to use. Great mobile app. Free!
Cindy B.
Sole Proprietor
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
February 1, 2018

“ZipBooks is very easy to use.”

ProsYou do not have to have any accounting experience to use it. The importing feature from the Banks is fantastic, saving a ton of time of tracking expenses and applying them to the appropriate expense categories (accounts). The Time Tracking is also very easy to use.
February 1, 2018
Pascual C.
Owner/Psychologist
July 21, 2017

“Free and great alternative to QuickBooks”

ProsFree, easy to use, professional and helpful customer support. It allows you to sync your bank account information into the system to save time.
ConsSometimes the sync does not work properly and you have to re-link your bank account to ZipBooks or refresh several times.
July 21, 2017
Matthew W.
January 21, 2016

“Excellent Alternative to QuickBooks”

OverallAfter using QB for my business for the last 8 years, I finally had enough of Intuit. I wanted a modern web based solution that didn't cost an arm and a leg for basic quoting, invoicing, and accept payments online. ZipBooks does this and more. I had list of my existing clients and I found out via the in app chat (a way awesome support feature) that while there was not a feature ready for realase for an import of my contacts they would do it for me. This is a small token, but shows how customer service focused this company is, unlike others who would have go check the forums, they are right there to chat with.
January 21, 2016
David S.
Creative Manager
November 23, 2015

“ZipBooks has been super useful as my one-stop-shop for all my invoicing needs.”

OverallPros: Very simple to use and intuitive. I'm amazed how easy they've made invoicing. Not to mention it's 100% free, which makes it a no-brainer choice for me. I've been impressed with the customer service and how quickly they've been adding features. ZipBooks is the invoicing tool of the future. Cons: There's still a few more features I'd like added, but they seem to release new stuff regularly so I know it's only a matter of time till everything I need is included in the software.

By ZipBooks on November 23, 2015
David, Thanks for your patience on our feature release timeline. We won't let you down!
November 23, 2015