NGP VAN Ratings

Overall

About NGP VAN

NGP VAN provides campaigning + organizing tools for candidates up and down the ballot, from president to dog-catcher. Kickstart your campaign with proven campaign tools from digital to organizing, starting at $45/month. Learn more about NGP VAN

Samantha A.
Department Manager
Retail, Self-employed
December 17, 2018

“Contact ”

ProsThe internet processing and the phone number is still in my place I don't know what to do with the other phone number
ConsSlow To with the new number of you guys at work and I wanna I gotta get you some good time to go home then go get it done so you don't need me and you can give it back to me and then I'll throw you a phone call me if you wanna or not I'm just waiting on you to call him and tell him you got the money I got you some money for me
December 17, 2018
Kassie B.
Organizer
Civic & Social Organization, 1-10 employees
October 9, 2018

“Gold Standard for Voter engagement”

OverallOverall, it's a good program. With more and more options coming to market, I'm hoping VAN and it's newer competitors work on creating user-friendly, intuitive features.
ProsThe VAN is well known as being one of this first and most comprehensive voter file programs used for political and issue campaigns. It incorporates all of the info you need to know about voters and allows you to cut turfs for canvassing or phone banking.
ConsThe program is clunky and not intuitive. It takes some work to get trained up on all of the features. My organization has a national data team that regularly conducts training and answers questions. Without that training, this would be pretty tough to figure out.
October 9, 2018
Lisa C.
Freelance Writer
Writing and Editing, Self-employed
October 7, 2019

“Indispensable for a Canvassing Team”

ProsAs a previously-paid, but now volunteer canvasser, I've found VAN to be an easy-to-use phone app to know which doors to knock on my turf and the personal and demographic information about who I'm trying to speak to. It's also a great tool for occasional canvassers who may not yet have memorized the script, as they can read the script (hopefully while maintaining some eye contact!) and enter constituent responses in the app as they go.
ConsI've had issues with the GPS functionality. As someone who is directionally challenged, it's so useful to have a little dot showing where I am in relation to the doors I'm supposed to be knocking in map view. At times (and this could have been related to the phone I was using or the signal available on my turf), the GPS was way off, showing that I was blocks or even miles away from where I was.
October 7, 2019
Nadia J.
Student
Civic & Social Organization, Self-employed
November 10, 2016

“Good for Voter contact”

OverallI've used NGP VAN in a variety of settings and capacities and it offers some of the best voter networking software available. Online phone banks are extremely easy with VAN. The only real issue I have is that it's often difficult to transfer between 'My Voters' and 'My Campaign'.
ProsEase of voter contact and the navigation between canvassing and phone results.
ConsThe difference between 'my voters' and 'my campaign'
November 10, 2016
Political Organization, 11-50 employees
October 22, 2018

“The best on the market, but not good.”

ProsFor what it does, there is not a better competitor to NGP VAN. It is the most comprehensive database available for Democratic campaigns and is standardized to a point where almost anyone you talk to in the industry has familiarity with it.
ConsThe interface is unintuitive and slow, the data is often out of date, and repeat processes are tedious, lead to errors, and borderline infuriating. Customer service is lackluster and often outsourced to party members without real expertise with the software.
October 22, 2018
Education Management, 51-200 employees
February 8, 2018

“Pretty much a must use system for campaign finance disclosure ”

Proseasy to have multiple different designations in the account. Easy to import large contact sets and good customer support for backend data edits
ConsUser interface is not the best and confusing to first time users. Hard to share reports with other users. Reports are very limited in what you can pull.
February 8, 2018
Henry B.
Field Intern
December 29, 2017

“Easy to use with little training”

ProsI love the intuitive design of the program. Also, its a must buy for any campaign. It is easy to get started with and to train people with it.
ConsThe system sometimes crashes unexpectedly. However, these problems can usually be solved quickly. There aren't very many cons!
December 29, 2017
February 13, 2018

“I have been using NGP VAN for the last six years in a campaign setting.”

ProsVAN gives excellent access to voter information and is a great tool for creating phone banks and other lists.
ConsI struggle with clipping turf in VAN. The process is nonintuitive and difficult. The mapping feature does not give the user enough information to clip turf correctly.
February 13, 2018
Nathan C.
Campaign manager
September 6, 2017

“Love Van. Easy to use and works great. ”

ProsCall lists are easy to make, as are walking lists. This is a great tool for campaigning. Able to target voters easily.
ConsIt's unfortunate that in non-partisan races they will restrict usage if a candidate isn't 100% liberal. Other programs are not as good as Van.
September 6, 2017
January 16, 2018

“I am a contributor to many campaigns. I receive NGP VAN generated materials.”

OverallAs the recipient of solicitations, I receive absolutely sterile, predictable solicitations with no way to establish meaningful personal contact with the candidate. I hate the tie-in with Act Blue. I feel as if I am being manipulated.
ProsIt is formula generated. I recognize that it solves numerous problems for the candidate, It obviously provides ease of use and scalability.
ConsI am the potential donor/supporter. Once I pull the switch, I am on NGP VAN's mailing list forever. This list is evidently tied in with Act Blue. I have received as many as 40 solicitations a day with Act Blue's fingerprints on them. I routinely block further solicitations from that candidate no matter how worthwhile the individual's candidacy. I really feel as if I am being manipulated; I hate it.
January 16, 2018
Political Organization, Self-employed
March 25, 2019

“Best Software for Campaigns”

ProsI shopped around for software like NGP and was not able to find anything quite on its level. It does everything one needs and is easy to use.
ConsIt's a bit pricey, but I do feel you get a high quality product for the money.
March 25, 2019
JOHNNA K.
cosmo
Cosmetics, Self-employed
Used the software for: I used a free trial
August 15, 2019

“Great product to keep you organized”

OverallThis product is great for keeping track of homes visited through canvassing. Also keeping track of group meeting information.
ProsWe use this product for canvassing as well as keeping track of our group meetings.
ConsI haven't ran into anything I don't like.
August 15, 2019