Alpha Anywhere Ratings

Overall

About Alpha Anywhere

The Alpha platform is the only unified mobile and web app development and deployment environment with distinct no-code and low-code components. Using the Alpha TransForm no-code product, business users and developers can take full advantage of all the capabilities of the smartphone to turn any form into a mobile app in minutes, and power users can add advanced app functionality with Alpha TransForm's built-in programming language. IT developers can use the Alpha Anywhere low-code environment Learn more about Alpha Anywhere

Philip S.
President/Lead Consultant
February 14, 2017

“THE Application Development Platform for Web and Mobile”

OverallFirst, a confession: I'm a former MS Access developer (please don't judge me!). I converted to Access from DOS-based dBase IV. I discovered Alpha 5, several years ago, from an e-mail ad (that's what it used to be called... it became "Alpha Anywhere" a couple of years ago in order to highlight its ability to develop on multiple platforms). The offered a free trial, so I decided to give it a try. Well, after 2 weeks, I was hooked. The applications I develop now dwarf those I'd developed previously. I'm doing things that would never be possible in Access... and giving my customers "cloud" access to their apps. If you're a serious business application developer, you should certainly give it a try! Here are some things you should know (the good and the not-so-good): As an Access developer, I loved that could use the back-end tables and queries in Alpha. That made the transition much faster. Now, most of my new applications, use SQL Server (added security, reliability and scalability), but I wouldn't fault anyone who stuck with Access tables (they're easier to create). Alpha lets you use almost any SQL-based application (MySQL, Access, SQL Server, Oracle, etc.) for your data set and even includes its own "dbf" format. They advertise Alpha as "codeless" development. Well, that's a bit misleading. YES, you can develop basic applications with little or no coding, but I've found that you'll need to learn some javascript and XBasic, if you need your application to do more than rudimentary data entry and retrieval. That was my biggest struggle. With Access, I really needed only VBA. XBasic and javascript are more powerful and more complex. Even now, I feel like I have a lot to learn about javascript. Alpha still needs to work on its documentation (their new documentation site is much improved), but their "message board" is great and the Alpha community is a terrific resource to help you get ideas and resolve issues. I've fully installed more than a dozen full-scale applications (on public servers and my own servers) and I couldn't be more satisfied with the experience. I'd recommend Alpha Anywhere to any developer that's in it "for the long haul." It will grow as you do.
ProsFlexibility in choosing the platform and destination and flexibility in choosing the back-end data set. I love how much you can do, without having to resort to writing code
ConsI wish there was a place I could call, when I ran into an obstacle. If I can't get an answer to my problem, I have to hire an independent consultant on an hourly basis. I'd rather pay a fee to get access to a phone line that could help me.
Recommendations to other buyersThe free trial gives you no excuse! Give it a try. You'll be impressed, right from the start.

By Alpha Software on February 14, 2017
Thanks for your feedback, Philip!
February 14, 2017
Richard M.
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 1-10 employees
January 8, 2017

“Great WEB and Mobile Rapid Application Development software”

OverallI have no formal programing training other than self taught knowledge. I was using Delphi to create desktop applications for tracking to progress of building permit through the review and inspection process. I was hoping to move from a desktop application to a web based application and was looking for a easy to use platform to develop Web based application. At some point I discovered Alpha software and downloaded the trial version. I was able to build a fully functional permit tracking application in a very short time, with very little coding in the background. Alpha's development environment was similar to Borland Dephi (using Visual Pascal), i.e., it is an object oriented, event driven, rapid development environment that allows the user to set properties to control desired results. Initially, I used an Alpha mentor to help with some of the coding in XBasic and JavaScript. Now I need little support to work in Alpha Anywhere. More recently, I have been developing mobile based applications using tools included in Alpha Anywhere. The most difficult element of building mobile applications using Alpha Anywhere and Phone Gap has been getting through Apple Developer requirements for publishing. I would recommend Alpha Anywhere to develop web based, client server applications, for developers at any level of programing experience. For those like me, with only self taught knowledge, it works great. For developers with a strong programing background, the application is flexible enough to allow customization.
ProsThe ability to develop very robust web based an mobile applications with little coding. The applications I have developed are very stable in use.
ConsThe development platform has a tendency to be unstable. It is not unusual for the software to lock up during use. I have used the software on a number of machines with similar results, it can just lock up with no recovery at any time. I would recommend saving work often. The platform uses a number of programing languages such as, HTML, JavaScript, Jason, and Xbasic. Each is a little different and can get frustrating when coding.
January 8, 2017
Stephen G.
Hospital & Health Care, 10,001+ employees
August 27, 2016

“Professional Caliber Rapid Development Software”

OverallHave been using Alpha Anywhere for a few years. It has allowed me to build and deploy a completely custom web application with a SQL database backend complete with administration tools, inventory lists, purchasing, email notifications and full featured reporting.
ProsDevelopment with this software is extremely rapid. I really like that Alpha Anywhere does the heavy lifting in terms of taking care of all the behind the scene coding. Yet at the same time you are completely free to customize any and all code to your hearts content. In that regard it is the perfect software for both the novice and seasoned pro. Alpha is continually moving forward with new and exciting capabilities. Support is great and the online Forum community is vibrant, active and willing to help when needed.
ConsMaybe a little expensive for non-corporate customers.
Recommendations to other buyersGet the free trial version and you will be amazed how quickly you will achieve your results.
August 27, 2016
Michael C.
August 29, 2016

“Easy to use yet powerful”

OverallDeveloped multiple products over a period of 5 years. They all run in the browser so suitable for Intranet and Internet. My applications are always heavy in data. I need tools to connect to databases and tools to visualise the data. Alpha allows custom HTML, CSS and Javascript there is nearly no restriction on using 3rd party libraries.
ProsSimple to build complex security. Connects seamlessly to multiple data sources. No restriction on how many database connections per page. The message board is well supported. There are 1,000 plus short videos that explain most features. You can always add to the basic structure whether it is Bootstrap or AngularJS
ConsSometimes if you are determined to use your own CSS and Html within a component then there is a little work to neutralise the base Alpha page setup.
Recommendations to other buyersAlpha tries to make common task simple. If it appears difficult recheck your method.
August 29, 2016
Scott M.
Co-Founder and President
1-10 employees
October 21, 2016

“A powerful tool that is easy to integrate with external services”

OverallAlpha Anywhere allows you to build powerful web applications (both mobile and desktop) at a fraction of the cost/time vs. using open source tools. One thing that has really improved in the last few years is they have made it very easy to integrate Alpha Anywhere with external services like Stripe, PhoneGap, Mandrill, Amazon etc. and if you want you can easily roll your own integration with their easy to use Node.js tools. End users (at least in my case) expect to be able to integrate their data with the popular sites they use and Alpha Anywhere makes this possible. The ability to code where you want and drag and drop at other times also makes the development environment a pleasure to work with.
Pros-Includes numerous built-in-features such as mapping integration, calendar, PhoneGap. -Speed to develop. -Supportive User Community -Reasonable price
ConsNone
Recommendations to other buyersMake sure to take advantage of the Alpha user group. Easy to get advice as you are learning the product.
Scott L.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
December 13, 2016

“Alpha Anywhere is a great development tool.”

OverallI've been using Alpha Anywhere for over 8 years and have developed a plethora of commercial applications for a wide range of industries. I've been strictly a web developer with recent mobile applications development. I cannot say enough good things about Alpha Anywhere and the team behind it. The software is always being enriched with new capabilities and functionality. There is a terrific support team that responds quickly to any request. And there is a community of developers that is always willing to help. I recommend Alpha to every developer and enterprise that has a goal of developing high quality web and mobile applications.
ProsFull featured and constantly improving.
ConsThere is so much to this product that at times it is difficult to find the functionality that I'm looking for.
Recommendations to other buyersBuilding applications is the fastest way I've found to learn Alpha Anywhere.
Spencer C.
Technology Director
Education Management, 51-200 employees
July 13, 2017

“It is powerful, but it is not as easy as they would claim it to be.”

OverallEasy application development.
ProsIt is a powerful solution for highly customized applications. It allows creating web pages with dynamic data quickly with little code. It has a lot to offer to developers who need to get information from users and display that information to other users. It connects to many if not all external servers. It allows for a complex security system that gives the access to those that need it and restricts it to those that don't need or shouldn't have it.
ConsIt gets pretty complicated and the pricing just doubled. The application uses a lot of resources, so make sure your computer can handle it when you are dealing with a lot of data and controls. Ther server is stable, but I do need to restart it when I get a lot of users, maybe a once a week, I hope an update will fix that.
July 13, 2017
James T.
Company owner
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
December 13, 2016

“Alpha user for over 20 years”

OverallI have used Alpha Software in its various forms since 1993, starting with the DOS version, then moving to the Windows version, and now the web and mobile version. We use it exclusively in this office to create custom applications for businesses. We are a two person shop and tie this RAD product to MS SQL Server for the back-end database. What keeps us using Alpha is its constant innovation in the product and its response to developers' requests. On at least two occasions, I have requested minor changes to the interface and those requests have been implemented within 24 hours. Keep up the good work, Alpha Software.
ProsEase of use, wide variety of features, how it ties into SQL and javascript
ConsNot widely known and often have to explain to clients who Alpha Software is
Recommendations to other buyersTry it, you'll like it.
Robin B.
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
October 21, 2016

“Unbeatable multi-platform development environment”

OverallWe use Alpha Anywhere in our development shops in the UK and Indonesia having switched from Microsoft products back in 2012. The move to Alpha has meant that we can build systems more quickly, for more platforms (including mobile and apps) and using a wider range of "standard" technologies than we previously had access to via MS development tools. Highly recommended both to software houses and in-house corporate developers.
Prosgreat support from developers, multi-platform, "does everything"
Consthe systems and apps developed sometimes need a visual "polish" (the built-in templates/designs are being refreshed I believe)
Recommendations to other buyershighly recommended - do make use of the training videos and third-party training and mentoring skills until you understand the basics of the product
Frank W.
Senior Software Engineer
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
November 22, 2018

“Alpha Anywhere - flexible, powerful, affordable ”

OverallWe use Alpha Anywhere to quickly build very solid apps for clients. This solution ensures speed, flexible and reliability, thus enhancing productivity and leading to happy and satisfied clients.
ProsThe thing I like best about Alpha Anywhere is how incredibly easy it is use it, even for users that aren't experienced. Another thing is that's, considering the features it's packed with, it's really quite affordable. Most other solutions with similar features are far more expensive than Alpha Anywhere. I also love the support I get from the team behind this software. They're great to work with, knowledgeable and constantly improving the product.
ConsThe only thing I can complain about is the rather limited documentation, though it's not really a big problem as the software is very easy to use and they have great support if one ever needs them.

By Alpha Software on November 26, 2018
Thanks for the review, Frank. We're pleased to hear you enjoy the product. We are continually working to improve our documentation and appreciate the feedback.
November 22, 2018
Mark W.
Admin
January 18, 2018

“Great and Fastest App Development App”

ProsI have been using Alpha Software more than 10 years in various settings (from nonprofit to commercials). It requires very little knowledge to develop an app. The more you create DB apps, the better you get. The best part I like about alpha five is how interactive and less coding the development environment is.
ConsWhich X-basic was more interaction. Sometime I ran into issue with the builtin PDF printer on windows 2012 server. It does not work correctly. Also, I wish the web app development was as simple as creating desktop app.
January 18, 2018
Frank Z.
December 13, 2016

“MS Access to Alpha Anywhere Transition”

OverallI am an old MS Access dog and wanted to learn web/mobile development quickly. I tried many other tools but always ran into a wall. Alpha Anywhere is flexible and easy to get things done. As I learn more, I see many other features under the hood that allow me to refine and customize my apps. I believe I can accomplish any function with Alpha Anywhere without running into a wall. My first mobile development application for a schedule check in/out function for 50+ users has worked as intended. I continually improve and refine features as I learn more. I have also developed several dashboard applications using Google charts embedded in my Alpha Anywhere project. I highly recommend Alpha Anywhere.
ProsEasy and flexibility
ConsDocumentation and finding the syntax for uncommon features.
Recommendations to other buyersThe proof is results. That's what my clients expect. Get it right and get it done.
Ger K.
Co owner
Real Estate, 1-10 employees
August 25, 2016

“Great for developers who prefer to work within one environment”

OverallI't our second development environment in 25 years. Five years ago we started using ist when we needed to make a switch to rewrite our business centres solution for web. Then it was a gamble. We never regretted that gamble
ProsOne tool for web and mobile on all platforms. Regular new features. Outstanding support. Always multiple options to skin the cat.
ConsDocumentation fragmented. Pricy (but bearable). Sales is a bit spamming.
Recommendations to other buyersConsider it if you want a trustworthy platform for commercial development and if your are prepared to invest serious learning time.
August 25, 2016
Kyle M.
IT Architect
Hospitality, 51-200 employees
December 13, 2016

“Alpha Anywhere speeds up our web development cycle”

OverallAlpha Anywhere does a great job at very quickly getting a solution out into the wild. It's been great using it for years. Overall, it saves us a lot of time and let's complex features be implemented into our application with the click of a checkbox. It also gives us the power to be able to run custom code to make our application even more specialized to our needs.
ProsEase of use, speed to solution
ConsMessy code is created, bugs exist in IDE, slow release cycle
Recommendations to other buyersIt works really well getting a solution very quickly. New updates to hosted infrastructure are exciting!
Lee H.
December 13, 2016

“Right tool for the job”

OverallAs a software developer, I am always looking for new tools to add to my toolbox, so that I have the right tools available for my customers. Alpha Anywhere is the best tool in my toolbox for Web and Mobile development. With the ease of use and broad range of features, I have been able to develop many systems for many customers more easily, quickly, and made my customers very happy. With the mobile capability, our company was able to develop a couple of mobile applications that we sell using the SaaS model.
Jeremy S.
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Government Administration, 501-1000 employees
October 20, 2016

“Great Value - Web and Mobile with a single platform”

OverallI've used many development platforms and the Alpha Platform is one of my favorites. The product is affordable, flexible, and extremely powerful. The company stands behind their product and the service and support is exceptional. I would not hesitate to recommend this product to anyone looking to develop Web Applications and Mobile Applications.
ProsPowerful, flexible, and affordable. A very unique combination to have all 3 in 1 platform
ConsThe XBasic backend. They have alternatives such as node.js but I have a .net background and so the first few months it takes a little bit to do any of the advanced stuff while you fumble around learning the equivalent syntax.
Recommendations to other buyersThis is one of those companies that you are proud to work with. They have been around for over 25 years and continue to innovate and prosper in the technology world.
October 20, 2016
Jaco B.
September 14, 2017

“A great tool to get things done quickly. Fantastic support, tutorials and documentation ”

OverallThe ability to rapidly build database software
ProsThe rate at which the product evolves and keeps up with what is current and relevant requirements in the business world
ConsI am based in South Africa and the user base here is not as prominent as in the USA. More face to face developer interactions would have been great
September 14, 2017
Roger N.
DT
Machinery, 11-50 employees
August 28, 2017

“Excelent software to create bussines Apps. Both for Mobile and for Desktop. ”

ProsExtremly easy to start being productive. Extremely powerful when you become more expert. If you are trying to run away from MS Access this is the way to go.
ConsIt is huge, there are lots and lots of features and is evolving very fast. It is difficult to keep with all the new features.
August 28, 2017
Russ B.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees
September 20, 2017

“A complete solution for desktop, web, SaaS and mobile application development in one package.”

OverallEverything you need in one package to develop desktop, web, mobile and SaaS applications at a very affordable price. Can get results in less time and with far less hand coding and headaches than any other solution out there.
ProsProvides a one stop solution and a great environment and tools for every aspect of desktop, web, mobile and SaaS application development in one complete package. It especially shines in mobile application offline support. You can be hugely productive without writing any or very little code.
ConsNo drag and drop form designer (but has genies and other tools that make this much less of a problem once you understand it)
September 20, 2017
Jeremy B.
Technical support / development
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
March 27, 2019

“Fantastic development tool ”

OverallThis product makes mobile development quick and fairly easy. I can make certain types of form applications in hours as opposed to a day or two. It's a decent price, but good luck with support.
Pros- Quick and easy to setup on a development machine - Lots of powerful tools at your hands - Makes mobile development easy to use and teach others to use - Free trial - Well worth the price
Cons- Can be buggy at times - Support is limited

By Alpha Software on March 28, 2019
Thanks for your review! Glad you like the product. We're constantly working to improve support and response times. Thanks for the candid feedback.
March 27, 2019
paul m.
IT Assistant Manager
Financial Services, 51-200 employees
January 10, 2017

“Alpha Anywhere is our secret weapon”

OverallThis software makes it so much faster to create beautiful mobile apps that are functional and user-friendly. VERY POWERFUL DEVELOPMENT SOFTWARE TO SAY THE LEAST!!!
ProsIts ease and cost
Consa lot of bugs in releases
January 10, 2017
Bobby G.
Computer Software, 11-50 employees

“Great Tool”

OverallAlpha Anywhere has been a great tool for us. We are able to shorten our development time drastically and ship software quickly. The platform is wide-ranging and allows us to solve many niche problems that our customers face. Alpha's support is incredibly impressive. We usually get a same-day response/solution from them.
Prosmulti-platform, great support
Consthe UI can be cumbersome at times
Joel G.
manager
Building Materials, 11-50 employees
June 17, 2019

“Easy to Use”

ProsSmooth sailing, Once setup it worked smoothly
ConsDepends on very few developers, Limited with updates
June 17, 2019
Chuck S.
IT Manager
Machinery, 51-200 employees

“Excellent Product”

OverallI've never seen a company that is so focused on the customer. Great product. I recommend this product to everyone.
ProsEase of use
ConsNon that I can think of.
Jeremy S.
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Civic & Social Organization, 501-1000 employees
August 29, 2017

“Very versatile product that allows you to code as little or as much as you need to”

OverallRapid Application Development with great flexibility
ProsWeb and Mobile applications are generated from the same code base. The offline mobile synchronization is extremely easy to implement.
August 29, 2017
howard w.
December 13, 2016

“Programming for the Non-Programmer”

OverallThis tool has been great for building web and mobile applications. Its great user interface allows simple use and manipulation of panels, buttons, and text boxes allow anyone to easily build something perfectly to their specifications. Everything works so well with each other and data binding is seamless. Building software like what is capable here from scratch would take even the experienced developer quite some time but alpha anywhere makes this process so much faster and simpler.
Steve P.
October 23, 2016

“Great end user results - Customer support second to none”

OverallVery good company to work with, they actually listen and respond with ways to make what you need happen actually happen. I am an end user, yet working with the developers to develop the app we are using received great support from the team at Alpha. The team effort is opening up new avenues for us to us the Alpha based App.
ProsPlug and Play (programming items already pre setup. Along with the ability to custom code where needed.
October 23, 2016
r h.
November 6, 2016

“Alpha Anywhere”

OverallI have been using Alpha since version 9 and it is by far the most reliable and flexible platform for developing Web and mobile apps on the market today, on top of that Alpha's great support and continued development of the Alpha software product means it just keeps getting better with every new version. R Hoggan Fleetnotes Ltd
November 6, 2016
Ronald G.
November 3, 2016

“Become a Genius use Alpha Anywhere”

OverallAfter a few short months of using Alpha Anywhere I now hold the title of "Genius". I have never written any Javascript or xbasic code. The great thing about Alpha Anywhere is... There are how-to-videos and files that help you along the way. If you are hungry to learn, Alpha Anywhere will feed you the knowledge.
November 3, 2016
Mike R.
August 23, 2016

“Great Mobile Application Tool”

OverallThe platform is a great tool for quick mobile applications. Its use of panels, etc makes the development go quickly and use. The great integration and use of Phone Gap, makes the actual publication of an app for IOS or Android easy.
ProsEase of use and rapid deployment
August 23, 2016