Sideline Ratings

Overall
3.7/5
3.8/5
3.4/5

About Sideline

Add a free work number to your smartphone with Sideline. Download the app, choose your number, and you get a 2nd number that works just like your first. Unlike cloud-based or VoIP phone systems, Sideline works with your existing carrier network to provide the same great quality and reliability you get from your regular cell number. This also lets you use the minutes you already pay for (which are probably unlimited). With Sideline, you can finally stop using your personal number for work. Learn more about Sideline

Nick P.
Marketing Director
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
October 4, 2018

“Works Perfectly - Increased Our Business By 60%”

OverallBest addition to our client/customer communications for 9 buck a month we ever made.
ProsWe use Sideline to make sure EVERY incoming call receive an "Immediate Text Message Response". Sideline knows if it was a mobile phone calling in. This is so important in the "Service Industry". People call our main Ooma VOIP online posted tele numbers (we have eight)... the Ooma numbers forward to our head technician.... If the head technician cannot take the call, or is on another line, then the incoming caller receives an AUTO TEXT MESSAGE the minute they hand up. Very Very Cool. The text message has a tele-phone number fo an Alternate Tech, a link to our web site, and a message thanking them for calling.
ConsNONE !!! NONE WHAT-SO-EVER The people leaving negative reviews are (in our opinion) not very bright. The Last thing you want some inquiry calling you to do Is: "Google" something they are looking for (find you), make the call and then not get you for whatever reason. Why not put a friggin' text message (with alternate tapeable tel number), a message with links, and image in their face the minute they hang up. Way better than losing the customer to another Google search. Think Different ! We don't lose customers anymore. YEA Sideline.
Angela P.
GM
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
September 12, 2019

“Great Application for Collection purposes”

OverallIt gives us the ability to enable another phone number to call delinquent customers. Very easy to set up and worth every penny !!!
ProsYes, we do use this application in order to get a new different phone number that my collectors can use when our regular number has been blocked for not very happy/delinquent customers. I was introduced to it for one of my employees, she used it before and it's a live saver. We do pay the yearly fee without a problem because it allows us to create and have another phone line available to us. Super easy to use. Has its own VM service, text mesg service. We use daily and it's a must for us.
ConsThe only suggestion I'd make would be to give the user the ability to change the phone number before the subscription expires. That wa you are not stuck with the same number for a whole year in case people end up blocking that number too.
September 12, 2019
Insurance, Self-employed
September 5, 2019

“ADS”

Overallthe messages that get from SIDELINE are confusing me with perceived missed calls and or messages from prospective clients. I would like an option to be able to receive communication in another format, perhaps email or op out. I will be searching for an alternative if this issue cannot or will not be addressed or resolved. Thank you for allowing me to vent.
ProsIt's an alternative to having a second cell phone. Customers recognize the area code as somewhat local.
ConsADS in the form of a message, on my alerts it shows as if I missed a call or have a text message from prospective client. I understand that Sideline is constantly working for us users to find better ways to use the app, but I rather receive these BETA request and news and information in the form of a email.
September 5, 2019
Braden T.
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1-10 employees
February 9, 2017

“An OK Cheap Start”

OverallI use Sideline as the main number for my business since we are fairly new and it makes more sense to use than purchase a second phone. I had my number go down for about 4 days though, which was terrible and more than irritated my customers. I also cannot say how much it cost us in potential clients. Their customer service took 4 days to get back to us. Even though they offer phone numbers they don't have one themselves and only work through an email. Call quality is pretty good, but you need to be right next to your phone because Sideline won't let the calls ring for very long. Overall it has worked pretty well for us and we haven't had a need to switch from it yet.
ProsFree. Works pretty well. Call quality same as any phone. Offers texting and calls.
ConsMust use regularly to maintain number. Terrible customer service. Had a few calls that were dropped or not properly connected. Numbers are HIGHLY prone to spam calls.
Recommendations to other buyersUse if money is an issue, or don't need the number for forever.
February 9, 2017
Consumer Services, 51-200 employees
October 16, 2018

“Excellent Option for Freelancers”

OverallSideline lets me have a work phone and a personal phone without actually needing to have two phones. Great service.
ProsSideline make it very easy for me to neatly divide my work calls and texts from my friends. I work as a freelancer so it's super nice to know when an editor might be calling vs a friend. Being able to text from my second number is great as well. I'm told you are also able to bring your number with you if you ever grow your business to the point of wanting a standard desk phone, which is a great feature, but I've not done it.
ConsVery little. Works great and I have no complaints.
October 16, 2018
Pamela C.
Chief Experience Officer
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 11-50 employees
March 29, 2018

“Convenient”

ProsSideline works as a separate line on my phone. I use it as my business mobile number.
ConsThe name doesn't appear 99% of the time (only the number), even though the caller is listed in my contacts. Calls are not always clear. Doesn't have as many features as other competitors and less than TextFree, the free service offered through Pinger (Sideline's parent company). I have always paid for the service. Customer service is not the greatest.
March 29, 2018
Angelina M.
Clinician
February 27, 2018

“A needed service but room for improved features”

ProsSideline allows me to separate business from personal calls. I can have automatic out of office and other messages sent when clients call or text. I do not have to increase my phone data package to utilize the app but do need to be within wifi or data to accept and send calls or text.
ConsThe app does not always keep contacts saved names. So I will receive phone calls from regular clients but all I see is their number which I do not memorize. This is a glitch that does get annoying. Luckily, all contact info is stored on my phone directory. Sometimes, texts messages do not go through but I do not receive an error message.
February 27, 2018
W. Shawn W.
July 5, 2016

“Not close to even being "professional" grade”

OverallI am currently involved in several different businesses and need separate phone lines for each in order to text or call clients. However, I do not want to have separate phones. Sideline does not allow for the use of a fully individuated phone number (e.g., calling out from the same number as calling in), especially when a competitor app is installed. If you are looking for communication and confidence in the use of an app that allows you to separate personal from professional securely, and thus allow clients not to access your private information, this may not be the app for you. Instead, you may have to use Caller ID block in order to "rectify this scenario" which opens a whole host of other communication issues with clients (some don't answer blocked calls, some automatically reject blocked calls, etc.) Customer service appears to take a lackadaisical approach, stating they know this is a known issue, and it is "common", but is not aware of plans to fix the common, known issue. I have used customer service on two different occasions and been informed on both occasions by separate customer service representatives that the system had a glitch that did not allow them to see my trouble ticket. When I was not a customer, I had inquired about the actual service through the same ticket system and been in contact with yet another representative multiple times within a 24 hour period.
ProsThe app is a free app with the potential to be really good if programmed correctly.
ConsCustomer service doesn't appear to respond in a timely fashion. Also, having a ticket management system that closes out a ticket after 3 days of inactivity without responding in said time is counterintuitive and frustrating to the user. The app does not use a distinct dialer like Line2 or even Google Voice. The app does not allow for the use of multiple lines coming in (even in the paid version). I am assuming this is for security purposes, but in some cases multiple lines are necessary.
Recommendations to other buyersUse another app if you don't want to block your outgoing caller ID every time you make a professional call.
July 5, 2016
Michelle L.
Business Manager
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees
July 19, 2019

“Just want you need”

ProsThis works with iphone and android. I give out this number to business clients. The best feature about Sideline is that you can block people and they have no idea that they've been blocked, and there is no extra cost for the blocking
ConsI sometimes get errors when using Sideline
July 19, 2019
Jen P.
Business Owner
March 7, 2018

“Very happy with this extra phone number”

ProsI've been using Sideline for over a year and find it so functional. Unlike many of my friends who need an extra work phone number, I simply use this on my iPhone and do not need to carry extra hardware. Absolutely worth for the pro version!
ConsSometimes calls come up as missed or voicemails come up within the app notification, and sometimes they show up in my general phone notification. It's just confusing as I'm not sure if it's a personal or professional call.
Psalm L.
virtual coach
July 17, 2018

“No need for a second phone”

OverallShould have lower price tiers for lower use
ProsThis has cut my client cost down greatly. I don't have to have a seperate phone. The phone quality has been steadyand the texting is helpful with rescheduling!
ConsThere is this strange second message that you have to answer yes to for every call. I don't like the confirmation of the call button, but I understand it may help people who use there side line for more discreet dealings.
July 17, 2018
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
February 5, 2019

“Problems with usage and cancelling subscription”

OverallIt seemed to work well at the beginning and was good for the price, but things deteriorated over time, causing a lot of problems with my not getting back to customers whose messages got lost in Sideline cyberspace
ProsIt appeared to be a good solution for my small business
ConsOn more than one occasion, people left messages, I saw the call listed, but there was no voicemail there. The developer had no explanation for the problem and could not fix it. I went back and forth many times with customer service. They were responsive but the problem was never fixed. In addition, when I tried to cancel my subscription, Google could not find the subscription agreement I purchased through Google Play, and I spent hours on the phone trying to stop the monthly charges. Sideline support referred me to Google, and Google referred me to Paypal. It was a ridiculous set of events not worthy of anyone's l-o-n-g amount of time spent.
February 5, 2019
Christine B.
Therapist
Mental Health Care, 201-500 employees
September 6, 2019

“Love Sideline”

OverallI love Sideline. Having a business number is important to me as I am on the go between 5 different sites. I find that texting is the most convenient way of communication for most. I do not want to give out my personal number and Sideline is a great alternative. I only have to have ONE phone. Love it.
ProsI love that Sideline works just like my regular cell phone number. It's easy to use and you can text too, which is a plus!
ConsThe only con I can think of is that the caller ID rarely works so I do not know who is calling when I answer.
September 6, 2019
Nikolay R.
Consumer Services, 1-10 employees
August 12, 2019

“Great product”

ProsVery easy to set up and use. Serves perfectly for my needs.
ConsNot sure about the cons. It's only hard to manage its payments through the iTunes on iPhone.
August 12, 2019
Diane E.
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Self-employed
July 17, 2019

“Forget Sideline when you buy a new phone”

ProsI liked the fact I only had one phone. Ease of use.
ConsI bought a new phone and had to transfer my app. I was unable to sign in, had multiple errors. I spent approximately 6 hours texting their help line back and forth. No one could figure out how to sign me into my account on my new phone. I did everything they told me to do to access my account without success. I lost hours of work, unknown amount of phone calls and messages missed. This is unacceptable.
July 17, 2019
Automotive, 201-500 employees
April 14, 2018

“Love this”

ProsSome of the best features for outside sales people or a group. Love the text and call auto reply options. I subscribed to the additional voicemail to text feature as well
ConsYou have to be sure you set up your phone correctly to ensure your voicemails go to the correct place. Sort of confusing
April 14, 2018
Laurabell L.
Insurance, Self-employed
September 13, 2017

“Best way to show local presence without having to change my cell phone number”

OverallDidn't have to change my cell phone number when I moved into a new state to start my new business.
ProsThat I don't have to change my cell phone number after moving into a new area to start my business. Added bonus, you can text from the number and now I can seperate all my business calls from my personal calls!
ConsThere is a delay when someone calls into me and I answer. I have to wait a few seconds. When a voicemail is left I can't dial back automatically, I have to go into the program to do so
September 13, 2017
Psalm L.
Mental Health Care, Self-employed
July 20, 2017

“I use daily to reach mental health clients. It allows me to provide text access and phone access.”

OverallIt allows me to provide a sense of security to my clients. I am able to keep my privacy, while being accessible.
ProsI like the clear reception and the email notification is very helpful.I can screen the calls easily.
ConsI would like a video chat option like facetime. The emoticons are a bit limited as well. I have droped calls on elevators and older buildings.
July 20, 2017
Financial Services, 1001-5000 employees
November 2, 2018

“Great application to use for additional phone number!”

OverallThis has been a great app for me overall as I have met some people online that I would rather not keep in contact with. I can just ignore their calls and not have to worry about them harassing me all the time. I recommend it for users who need an additional line for any reason.
ProsI started online dating about a year ago and found this to be great to create another phone number just for use when my date search. That way I did not have to worry about giving our my real phone number.
ConsYou must have a strong internet connection to properly answer calls. Otherwise, if you're traveling and going through low cellphone reception areas, you will not be able to take calls using this app.
November 2, 2018
Treda F.
Hospitality, 1-10 employees
October 27, 2018

“Second phone, fraction of the cost!”

ProsI like how I can customize so many features. Everything from voicemail greetings, to text message signatures. I can also totally cut off my availability. If I do not want to work, I can send calls to voicemail, enable text responder and turn off notifications!
ConsIts not easy to share content to Sideline. The option is there, but when the message opens, it's blank.
October 27, 2018
Sandra B.
Photographer
January 8, 2018

“Started using this when it was free and for free it was great. They switched to paid in October.”

OverallA headache
ProsI was able to have a seperate line for my business. It was great when it was free. Thats about the only thing positive I can say. I switched over from another service hoping to get the same type of service. Boy was I wrong.
ConsSince they switched to paid there is NOTHING different about the app or service. It is NOT worth . In fact, I have had nothing but issues and customer service is almost impossible to reach. They terminated my account and I lost my number because of their own billing issue. It has been near impossible to reach ANYONE to correct. When I have all they want is my credit card number to bill me and offer no resolution and not even a sincere apology for the BS. When I asked about my number then conveniently they were closed. Seriously, I have the screenshots to prove all this. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to change my business number and go with a different service. I will not give these people another cent unless someone does something to actually help AND offers a sincere apology.
January 8, 2018
Internet, 1001-5000 employees
September 10, 2019

“Best option for keeping my phone number”

OverallI can keep my US number and still send and receive text messages!
ProsSo far, this has been the best option for me to keep my phone number while overseas. I lost my sim card, so couldn't get anything US based but they were able to port my number. I had to deal with tech support and they were fantastic.
ConsIt's a little clunky, but I am adapting to it. I think I need a sim card in to use it for calls, which isn't ideal.
September 10, 2019
Michelle L.
Business Manager
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 11-50 employees

“This is awful”

OverallI feel this was a money making scheme to begin with, the service is not great at all, there are definite issues with the software, which was fine to deal with when it is free. There is no customer service department... good luck!
ProsI like the fact that you can have an additional phone number on your mobile number.
Conswhen I signed up it was free. I was using it for two years, I gave all my customers that number, then Sideline decided to start charging for their service. How could I change my business number now and let EVERYONE know?
Samantha V.
Stylist/Salon Owner
Consumer Services, Self-employed
January 8, 2017

“Great for side business”

OverallConsidering this product is free, it has great features. I use it to run my part-time business, that doesn't warrant another line.
ProsCheap and easy to use.
ConsCalls and texts don't always come/go through. Slightly unreliable.
January 8, 2017
Jason Y.
March 7, 2018

“My go to choice for adding a 2nd phone number to my phone.”

OverallThey provide me an exclusive phone number for my business on my existing phone so that I don't have to carry and 2nd.
ProsSideline seemed like the obvious choice for me when I reviewed a few options for having a 2nd phone number for my business. I wanted to use the same phone for both my personal and business number and Sideline works seamlessly for me on my iPhone in that way. Was very easy to set up and configure, and I have had no issues with using it whatsoever.
Jamey M. Y.
Content Creator
Internet, 1001-5000 employees
December 16, 2018

“An affordable and easy solution to having a dedicated business number”

ProsYou don't need a separate phone or dedicated hardline, and it makes it easy to distinguish incoming calls.
ConsProbably only a good solution if you're a small business owner or sole proprietor, otherwise a dedicated phone line and answering system would be more practical.
December 16, 2018
Kenneth T.
Therapist
Mental Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
April 23, 2019

“Good When Used For The Right Reasons”

ProsThe software is very easy to use and navigate. The layout is intuitive and the process to obtain a number is simple.
ConsIt can be highly misused/abused by others who continuously create new phone numbers to harass others that have blocked them. Better safeguards should be in place to prevent this.
April 23, 2019
Nicholas M.
Doctor
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 1-10 employees
August 14, 2019

“Not reliable enough for business”

ProsCustomer support is good, though problems keep cropping up.
ConsDelayed or lost voicemails. Customers complain they can not leave voicemail consistently. Missed calls with voicemail of call arriving much later.
August 14, 2019
Tim P.
IT Technician
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 employees
April 12, 2019

“Keeps me safe with a second, anonymous phone number!”

ProsIt was extremely easy to download the app and get it connected to my phone, and it was a breeze to set up!
ConsNothing - it worked perfectly and I didn't run into any issues using the app on my phone!
April 12, 2019
Ora T.
November 28, 2017

“Thought I had free version”

ConsHad to pay for what I thought was a free version. again as I said voice quality call and nothing about this app is superior to the ones that I am actually found out there that are truly free.
November 28, 2017
WILLIAM S.
Food & Beverages, 10,001+ employees
November 14, 2018

“They lie it is not ad free even when you pay”

Overallwas good, now bad
Prosit works, but so do others if their ads continue I will have no choice but to cancel
ConsThey lie it is not ad free even when you pay, just talked to support they told me that sideline ads will continue from them even if you pay for the account
November 14, 2018
Nivek C.
November 7, 2016

“Great Second Number”

OverallI use Sideline on my personal cell phone in order to have two numbers on one phone. This allows me to accept calls on my second number for the non-profit organization I am a part of. This keeps my personal life and work life separated and makes it easy to identify who is calling me. This saves me from having to carry two phones with me at all times.
November 7, 2016
Whitney A.
February 22, 2017

“Really great small business phone number services”

OverallIm a small business and always on the go. I wanted a way to seperate business calls from personal and this is a great way to do it. I get a separate phone number that rings to my cell phone and the graphics on the home screen tell me its a business call. Its been awesome so far.
February 22, 2017
Insurance, 10,001+ employees
January 31, 2019

“Sideline Review”

ProsI used to love Sideline. It came in handy to use if I didn't want to use my real phone number.
ConsOnly con is when they stopped the free version completely.
January 31, 2019
David A.
May 28, 2017

“Customer service is the absolute worst. Go somewhere else for your own sanity!”

ProsCon outweighs any pro. If customer service was better I would rate this probable 4 but it is terrible to say the least.
ConsWorst customer service I have ever found! Cannot contact anyone via phone and no response via email. My business needs customer support
May 28, 2017
Harold G.
Owner Dispatcher and Driver
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 employees
October 31, 2016

“Frustrated with sideline”

OverallMy first concern I can never speak to anybody. I'm not great at texting email I'm 68 years old and the internet computers are not very easy for me. I'm an old fashion guy got involved with sideline. I thought this was going to be easy I get numbers that I had received on Google. Big mistake I was told. The number googol a very long time to reroute my first original number. I want to upgrade premium. Not feeling comfortable about using my credit card over the internet. I was under the impression that would added to my Verizon bill. How do I do that I cannot figure out. Very frustrating Harold
ProsTwo numbers on One phone
ConsNot very easy to understand how to use it
Recommendations to other buyersPhone support old fuddy-duddies like myself.
October 31, 2016
Jake K.
February 13, 2017

“Would recommend! ”

Overall10/10 would recommend sideline to any of my friends or employees wishing to better their business software.
February 13, 2017
Management Consulting, 51-200 employees
November 7, 2018

“The worst customer service possible”

OverallTerrible, i wouldn't utilize this app for any of my personal business ever.
ProsI liked the "concept" sadly so far no good.
ConsEverything. The customer service offers 0 phone support and while they have text/chat the app and website use differnt vocabulary than the agents and there is a major communication problem. For example a rep at one point told me a port had failed then 30 minutes later sent me a text saying and i quote "Oops" refering to giving me the wrong information which lead to canceling the service incorrectly.
November 7, 2018