Panopto Ratings

Overall

About Panopto

Panopto is a leading video platform for training, teaching, and presenting. Fortune 1000 companies and leading academic institutions, including GE, Qualcomm, New York Life, Duke, Stanford, and Oxford, use Panopto to capture training videos and lectures, live stream events, and publish their videos to a secure YouTube-like portal. For three years running, Panopto's video platform has been recognized by Gartner as a "Leader" in video content management. Learn more about Panopto

Jonathan D.
Flexible Learning Coordinator
Education Management, 501-1000 employees
November 9, 2017

“Panopto has met all of my needs and then some and the support is phenomenal.”

OverallWe were able to give faculty one tool for all of their video creation and editing and storing needs instead of all the various tools they had to use previously to accomplish the same thing. All of the content is now stored on our server so we don't lose access to it if an employee leaves the college. We can live stream our events with it. We can manage all of our video and caption it as well. It provides us a secure way to stream 3rd party video we have an agreement with to share with specific users. Allows for adding quizzes in the video.
ProsI love how it manages our video content. The ability to manage 1000's of videos with ease and update user permissions or move content around all without breaking the link to the video was the biggest selling point for me. Other products I've evaluated managed video very differently and left things more up to the user. If the user were to leave their content would be difficult to hand over to the next person that may need it. The LMS Integration is excellent. Biggest workflow saver is when an instructor makes a recording in class the hit stop and upload and the video automatically goes into the course it needs to be in and even gives students a progress bar for it. Other products required the instructor to go in after they made the recording and move the video into the course manually or move it into a specific playlist. When an instructor finishes class they don't have time to go moving their recordings around. They need to finish up and leave before the next class starts coming in. It has so many bells and whistles. Live broadcasting, quizzing that integrates with the LMS Gradebook, scheduled recordings, so many great video player features, the mobile app. It's overall an excellent product and I couldn't find anything else that checked all my boxes.
ConsThe recorder has a lot of options in regards to setting the quality when we always encourage our faculty to set it at the highest possible. I wish the recorder could be streamlined so I could start up recordings faster and have a share link go right to my clipboard so I could send it out like how Jing does it. There is value to all of the options on the recorder but I wish they had a lighter weight version.
November 9, 2017
February 14, 2019

“Simple but Powerful Video Capture and Video Management Tool”

OverallWe primarily use Panopto for lecture capture and distance learning. Using Panopto for training and meeting recordings is something that we are just starting to leverage. Having a place to centrally store, share and search through videos has been a great value to our institution. Our integration with Panopto to D2L has provided a simple solution for instructors and students to interact 'face-to-face', even if they are located around the world.
ProsPanopto integrates with our LMS, D2L quite well. It makes the process very simple for our instructors and students to record and watch videos. It does not require any plugins or software to watch videos, as they load up in a web browser. The videos work on mobile and embed easily in courses or on websites. We also enjoy the easy sharing of videos and simplified management in the web portal.
ConsThe Panopto Recorder software can be a little bit buggy and simplified. It could use a more modern look and feel. The software does give our end users some trouble - but not the service or website itself. If a student or instructor has an issue with the software, luckily any .mp4 video file can be easily uploaded to Panopto.
February 14, 2019
Frank J. F.
Associate Professor
January 30, 2019

“Panopto provides me with a reliable, flexible venue for documenting and assessing my students' progress.”

ProsThere are many features that I like about Panopto; ease of use is near the top of the list. I have been using it for several years and it is comforting to know how reliable and simple it is to get a recording completed. I have had situations where an opportunity arose and I wanted to capture it for my students to see later, and I simply pulled out my phone and recorded and uploaded it to the Cloud with a few simple clicks. My students love it because regardless of their hardware (PC, phone, iOS device), they can record their assignments and get feedback almost as if they were in front of me. The simple-to-use editing features allow me to update/enhance legacy content enabling me to leverage existing resources. I could go on and on...
ConsSome of the more advanced features are a bit more challenging for some of my students to understand; however, the good news is that the basic features provide more than enough opportunity for successful resource generation.
Elora M.
Educational Developer
March 6, 2019

“Wide ranging benefits for teaching and learning ”

OverallPanopto is available to use by the whole organisation and there are more and more staff who are taking up the opportunity to use it for recording lectures and short videos for students. We often have quite dispersed student groups over different campuses and out most watched videos are often of assignment information and difficult teaching concepts that they need to come back to for clarity.
ProsThe software is easy to use and intuitive to find your way around. As the system is software based it is available for staff to use on many devices and students to access content online. Its really flexible to suit the needs of users so that can be recording large lectures or multiple short student uploads.
ConsCaptions are always a problem for us we would like to caption all our videos and currently the automatic captioning is not very good. You can send away for captions but there is a high cost if we want lots of content captioned.
March 6, 2019
Matthew B.
Technology Enhanced Learning Facilitator
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
November 1, 2017

“All round best value for money”

OverallEase of use, Unlimited Cloud Storage for our content, fantastic customer service and support
ProsPanopto has so many useful features such as embedding Youtube videos, Websites, PDFs right into your recorded sessions. This has allowed us to create a learning experience for our students like they haven't seen before. Cloud hosted makes it easy to configure who can see what and when. It has also helped us with CPD training, the ability for a member of staff to record something just once and allow all staff to view it in their own time with quiz questions throughout to check their understanding.
ConsIts great for multiple video feeds at one time but to be able to select mulitple audio source (say several microphones in a conference room) would be benifical. The length of time between updates varies and can be lengthy in between but then they do arrive they don't dissapoint.
November 1, 2017
November 3, 2017

“Simple yet robust video capture software/service”

ProsUsing the integration with our LMS, D2L has been a life saver. It simplifies the process for our instructors to record videos and share them with their students. Additionally, students can record back for public speaking classes. We also really appreciate the automatic closed captioning service. While it is not 100% accurate, it does encourage the use of the captions, which is a nice feature.
ConsThe recorder can be buggy at times. Some of our users have difficulty installing it. We would love to see a web based advanced editor as well. Right now there is one, but it only works in Internet Explorer.
November 3, 2017
Graham R.
Managed Learning Environment Manager
Education Management, 1001-5000 employees
March 1, 2019

“Coming up to our 9th year with Panopto”

OverallOver nine years we have gone from a couple of technically leading academics promoting its use to a large scale rollout with half the University asking staff to use it. Almost immediately students asked for it to be mandated.
ProsThe software is easy to roll out across a large campus due to its software-only focus and the need for just a microphone. Most steps can be automated and the integration with Blackboard (in our case) allows videos to be secured to classes/modules with no additional steps.
ConsMoving to a fully automated recording workflow requires heavy integration with your timetable system.
March 1, 2019
Diego Y.
Information Technology Support Analyst
October 13, 2017

“Panopto is very easy to use and has many great features.”

OverallThe ability to make instructional videos and to share them with others.
ProsWhat I like most about Panopto is how easy it is to choose what you want to record, with what source of audio you want to use, and where to save it. Another good thing is that when your video is all done, there is the ability to edit the video down in case you want to cut out some parts.
ConsThe only thing I noticed was that when you would start the recording and then decide to switch to a different audio source, the program would freeze and would have to be restarted.
October 13, 2017
Simon T.
Educational Technologist
E-Learning, 5001-10,000 employees
March 4, 2019

“Great user experience and excellent support”

OverallIn terms of experience, we've had a really good one. The learning resource it provides and enhancement to our student's experience.
ProsPanopto is reliable and easy to use. Well featured and flexible, Panopto is integrated into our VLE, and used thoughout our institution. Panopto's personal capture tools make it easy to get started creating educational video resources.
ConsAutomatic captioning could work better - and transcripts need a fair amount of editing. But hope this will improve as Panopto update their software.
March 4, 2019
Helen S.
student
Pharmaceuticals, Self-employed
July 26, 2019

“Panopto Review”

ProsI like how we can listen to past lectures at our own leisure and also be able to listen to it at our own speed. It really helps with studying for exams. Also being able to use it on my phone, ipad, and computer is great, especially when I am driving, I can listen to lectures through my phone app.
ConsWhen I download the videos, the fast rate has a squeal sound compared to when I listen to it on the app or the site. Sometimes the recording uploads are delayed.
July 26, 2019
Hospital & Health Care, 1001-5000 employees
February 6, 2019

“Education Software through Videos ”

OverallEducation at Loma Linda University through Videos . LLU online video storage and delivery service. Integrated with Canvas.
ProsProvides great info and you can replay it many times. They have a greally great support team to answer any questions . Education through videos can be very chalenging because interfacing , however Panopto is really great on presenting and being a great tool for education .
ConsSometimes can be slow . Not sure is because of internet connection or to many users ?
February 6, 2019
February 15, 2019

“Simple and effective lecture capture soution”

ProsPanopto is a very user friendly tool which scales well and provides a wide range of facilities to capture educational content. Having rolled this solution out across the enterprise it has performed exceptionally well and has met our expectations. The ability to share content simply is a key selling point for our users.
ConsNothing negative, the system is user friendly, scales very well meets the expectation of boht staff and students.
Malcolm E.
Video technology support analyst
Higher Education, 10,001+ employees
November 2, 2017

“Phenomenal partner, robust product”

ProsPanopto's ease of use combined with the rich feature set make it one of the best tools out there for large-scale recording capture and viewing. Users can bring in multiple cameras, mics, screens and applications with just a few clicks and create content that they can share with a chosen group.
ConsThe one drawback I have encountered is using the advanced editor as opposed to the basic editor. The advanced version can only be accessed using Internet Explorer.
November 2, 2017
John P.
Video Systems Technician
Higher Education, Unspecified
October 30, 2017

“Excellent Security, UI, and file management”

ProsPanopto's integration with our university's LMS is vital to keeping our video lectures secure, but also easily accessible to viewers who are enrolled in a course. The UI is also highly favored by viewers.
ConsSmall learning curve/training for new admins or instructors who have no background in video. Support documents on the Panopto site are great, but it would help to have one-on-one training for new admin users.
October 30, 2017
Gemma W.
ELearning Advisor
January 30, 2019

“Panopto is changing the way we teach and learn”

ProsIt is easy to record, edit and share video The integration with our VLE Canvas is very good Panopto is very well received by students
ConsWe have very occasional issues with videos not getting up to the cloud correctly but these are always swiftly investigated and resolved by Panopto support.
Derek H.
Application Administrator
Higher Education, 5001-10,000 employees
February 18, 2019

“Great Application and Great Support”

ProsThe ease of use. Once it is setup in a room, there are pretty much three steps to use it. Choose recording location, start recording, stop recording, done.
ConsThe admin reports could be more robust, but I know that is on their roadmap of things to come in the future.
February 18, 2019
Amber O.
Multimedia Specialist
Information Technology and Services, 1001-5000 employees
October 17, 2017

“Panopto is easy to use and reliable.”

OverallI benefit from this software because it stores all the recordings in one place and makes it easy to find if misplaced. For example, if a recording is placed in the wrong folder I can locate it by using the date it was recorded and then move it into the correct folder.
ProsI like that I can check on recordings through a website on my desktop. I also like that the editing feature is easy to use and edits quickly.
ConsI don't like that I can only start recordings on the computer that is doing the recording. I think it would be beneficial to create a step that allows you to start/stop recordings from your desktop. Set up kind of like the editing tool.
October 17, 2017
November 4, 2017

“Great!”

OverallHas made my work-life easier.
ProsThe support has been very good. Not only when there has been an issue but also when trying to find answers and just cannot find the correct article, they have been excellent at pointing me in the right direction.
ConsI am normally in Chrome throughout the day, so when I need to use the Advanced Editor, I have to change over to IE. It is not a real problem, just an inconvenience
November 4, 2017
Jack H.
Educational Technologist
E-Learning, 5001-10,000 employees
February 20, 2019

“Useful for e-learning”

OverallVery useful within the educational environment.
ProsI use Panopto to show academics how to use a flipped classroom approach to teaching. The app is useful because they are familiar with using their phones to film/take photos so it simplifies the process of making quick online learning videos.
ConsI love the app for the simplicity but the desktop site is harder to navigate. However due to me using it within a large organisation this may be to do with the volume of videos we are producing.
February 20, 2019
Melissa L.
psychologist
Human Resources, 11-50 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
December 5, 2018

“OF GREAT HELP”

ProsI am studying a master and we use panoptom, we are all hallucinated, they record the classes in an interactive way and then we can review them at home when we want, see the power points in detail, choose which camera we can see on the screen; teacher, blackboard, P, Point, youtube, videos. To review doubts or prepare exams is like returning to receive the class for you only when it is best for you, and also write a word or text said during the class and you will be immediately looking for it.
ConsNothing negative I can say. It seems an incredible tool for all students
December 5, 2018
Michael C.
Board Member
1-10 employees
October 6, 2016

“Panopto Is Awesome”

OverallEasy to use and very cost effective. This VCMS is the best in the Biz. Sales enablement has never been so easy
ProsEase of Use
ConsNone
Recommendations to other buyersGet it!
October 6, 2016
February 1, 2019

“A very useful tool for students and staff”

ProsIt provides a solid platform to provide recorded learning content to staff and students. It can be used as a lecture capture system or a desktop recorder. There are more advanced features like quizzing, basic editing tools and the ability to insert external media like YouTube.
ConsExpensive and somewhat complicated to set up. The editing is functional but basic although this does allow you to remove sections of your recording. It would be nice to add additional elements such as titles etc.
February 1, 2019
Jason H.
Manager of Academic Enterprise Systems
November 16, 2017

“Panopto Creates a Seamless Experience to Create, Distribute, and View Course Lectures”

OverallThe auto-scheduling and auto-publishing of videos to specific Canvas courses is extremely valuable. Other players in this space currently require manually publishing.
ProsPanopto is tightly integrated with the Canvas LMS. We have been piloting this product for four months. We are able to schedule the lecture captures, associate each video with the instructor and appropriate Canvas course, and automatically publish the videos, so that students can review the course content at a later time on nearly any type of device.
ConsThere is a cost associated with piloting this software, but it's not too excessive. Many companies offer a completely free trial period. It would be nice to check it out for free.
November 16, 2017
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 201-500 employees
May 4, 2019

“Freezing”

OverallUniversity Student, it is vital for my studies and revision so when it fails it is hugely disappointing and a major inconvenience.
ProsGood when working, I can watch clearly and sound is good.
ConsWhen something that causes the replay to stop, e.g I lose internet connection, I can never reload the replay video. After this occurrence whenever I click on the replay, all I get is a black screen and the video will never load again. This is infuriating as the replay is then lost to me forever. Major inconvenience and this makes the service useless. I try everything to reload the video replay, signing in and out, turning off computer, but still when I load the replay I only get a black screen that never loads. Major bug that needs to be fixed.
May 4, 2019
Dany H.
Pastor
April 6, 2018

“Does what it's supposed to!”

ProsIt's a great tool for recording our classes and lectures so students can access them later. A fantastic way for students who happen to miss a class to get caught up!
ConsI don't think it's a secret that the web browser experience is lacking in all but IE. Most of us are Mac users and Safari is never happy with Panopto.
April 6, 2018
Matthew T.
Student
December 28, 2017

“I use this software to access recordings of my lectures and webcasts put on for revision purposes.”

ProsThis software is very intuitive, with easy controls to pause, play and change the volume, all of which are like second nature while using the program. It helps me a great deal that this software is available as my lecturers are able to use it to easily record the lectures and post them online.
ConsSometimes the lectures i listen to are very distorted due to bad quality. Also, the side bars are sometimes hard to navigate and the quiz sections at the end are very slow.
December 28, 2017
Adelyn C.
d.Leadership Co President
Education Management, 11-50 employees
February 21, 2019

“Very easy to work with and watch”

ProsClicking back and forth on the slides is very easy to do, so you can skip to a certain part of the lecture if you remember what slide you took notes on. This is great for my classes which have excruciatingly long lectures, and getting through them and finding the key points can be extremely useful.
ConsOf course, since it's a different software than what others normally use, it can be hard to integrate this with what we already use rather than just sending a YouTube link. The E-learning environment that I work in uses YouTube much more than Panopto, which is probably due to this.
February 21, 2019
danielle e.
School nurse
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 51-200 employees
October 10, 2019

“Great training tool!”

OverallGreat experience so far, has saved me so much time and streamlined training process for staff.
ProsI am a school nurse and I was able to easily record safety presentations so staff can access at their convenience and saved me from having to do repeated in person presentations. I am not tech savvy at all but have had no trouble setting up and using. Staff has not reported they are very happy to be able to do these mandated trainings at their leisure.
ConsStaff has mentioned the audio sometimes is out of sync when using mobile device or ipad. Videos can also be slow to load at times.
October 10, 2019
Jacob A.
Minister
Religious Institutions, 11-50 employees
March 13, 2019

“Great Video Platorm”

OverallOverall, great experience with Panopto.
ProsMy use of Panopto is with education. Loved how the videos were organized by class. Also benefited from the speed option.
ConsDesign and layout of app could be improved/updated.
March 13, 2019
Leyniker Raul R.
system engineer
Market Research, 51-200 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
November 20, 2018

“Panopto”

ProsI love panopto, it is very simple and useful for students like me who study from a distance I do not waste any time in finding the materials and I have complete visibility about everything
Consthe truth I have not had any problem with this tool is agile, inreible for those who return to study again
November 20, 2018
Pharmaceuticals, 51-200 employees
October 23, 2018

“It is Nice When it Works”

ProsI like that when I am watching a lecture I can see the slides at the bottom to skip forward to specific slides that I want to re-listen to. I also like that I can speed up the video up to twice as fast as it was live. This makes for easy studying.
ConsWhat I like least about the software is that it can be unreliable. Our university has a backup recording system due to the number of times Panopto has malfunctioned. Sometimes it does not capture the audio, or will not record at all. This happens at least a few times per month. It is also annoying that is sometimes does not play back properly depending on which browser you are using to view the video.
October 23, 2018
Joseph Z.
Full Time Lecturer - College of Business & Economics
February 15, 2019

“Generally easy for most to use, a bit confusing for some.”

OverallOverall good. No better or worse than Camtasia
ProsI personally found it easy to use - to create a video with a PowerPoint presentation and to review it. My audience was able to watch it once it was ready.
ConsI found it a bit hard/frustrating to edit if I messed up. It seems like the best thing to do would be start from scratch so make sure that you have rehearsed your script well.
Alex M.
Educator Community Operations Manager
E-Learning, 51-200 employees
May 3, 2019

“panopto lets me record my classroom, and that's awesome”

Overallclassroom recording for reference and later use
Prosthe institutional integration is amazing
ConsThe design of the some of the software features made it hard to use sometimes
May 3, 2019
Sasha O.
October 12, 2016

“Recording 101”

OverallI used Panopto in the past, but truthfully, our company moved to another tool that is better suited for our needs. However, while using Panopto, I found the features/functionalities quite easy to use and for what I needed to accomplish, I found it the right tool for me. It is nice to have an easy to use tool with support. I find it impressive how much support I find from the Panopto team, consistently receive emails about updates, etc.
October 12, 2016
Julia V.
Instructocr
December 19, 2017

“Using Panapto has changed the way I provide lectures online.”

OverallI was able to transfer my face to face lectures.
ProsPanopto is a software that comes in handy for recording lectures for a flipped classroom experience. It is easy to use and required little effort to transfer your classroom experience to an online training environment.
ConsIt is not an inexpensive program. It is can be tricky with certain web browsers such as Safari. It is not a true problem but more of an inconvenience.
December 19, 2017
Kyler M.
Systems Analyst
May 7, 2018

“Great lecture capture software that works for any company.”

ProsPanopto works wonderfully on all of our Apple products recording lectures. Setup is simple and straight forward and so is accessing all the videos online.
ConsSoftware is a little finicky when trying to learn it and use it and first, but then becomes natural once you understand the progression of how it works.
May 7, 2018
Annalisa G.
Sr. Admin
Education Management, 5001-10,000 employees
May 13, 2019

“Once You Figure it Out, Panapto is a Great way to Stream”

OverallOverall, one I realized that all you need is an HDMI cable to connect to a laptop and whatever room system you're using, it was fairly easy. This solved our problem that Zoom presented, which was that we couldn't as easily record.
Pros-easy to set up initial streaming links to launch -Records while streaming -easy to edit recording and upload as a YouTube Video
Cons-If you don't have a built-in audio system to use in the room when you launch the live stream, I'm not sure how easy it would be to pick up sound. In my case, it was very easy and connected through an HDMI cable. -check your laser pointers. In my case I had some trouble, but eventually got a solution which IT worked on
May 13, 2019
Michael J.
December 10, 2016

“MA Student ”

OverallWe use it every day at the university. It's amazing software. Recommended. Doing everything, capturing with slides, screen captures, editing, hosting. Very easy to use.
December 10, 2016
Jeremy A.
Project Coordinator
July 1, 2018

“Easy to record and share video and presentations”

ProsWe utilize Panopto to record and share video of presentations. The audio, video, and presentation sync up very nicely. Also great is the ability to edit and share video from within Panopto. We are able to cut and edit video and then share the video hosted from within the software.
ConsWhile the editing functions are good for cutting and quick edits, they do not provide a full-suite editor.
July 1, 2018
Kayla R.
Quality Assurance and Training Specialist
Medical Practice, 11-50 employees
June 7, 2017

“I'm a student who uses the software for college presentations”

ProsEase of use, able to use offline, adaptable for work or school, easy to figure out, able to figure out quickly
June 7, 2017