Panopta Ratings

Overall

About Panopta

Panopta provides advanced website monitoring for online businesses and service providers. You can monitor uptime and speed on websites and publicly accessible servers with ping, HTTP/S, SMTP, POP, IMAP, and simple port checks. Checks inlclude fine grain controls with ping packet loss, HTTP/S headers and basic auth, and timeout specifications. Learn more about Panopta

Rafe H.
VP Engineering
Financial Services, 11-50 employees
December 15, 2016

“Solid, reliable and configurable monitoring and alerting solution”

OverallWe started using Panopta over a year ago after having continual problems with some of the other better-known monitoring solutions; continual false-negative reports and convoluted interfaces were causing continual problems for us. Panopta's service has proven to be very reliable, allowing us to configure the points from which our servers are monitored which mean we're getting alerts from regions very close to our users, and we've been able to extend this past simple 'ping' type tests. Their alerting services are easily configurable and adaptable, meaning our staff receives alerts promptly when necessary. We have also had no issues with simple integrations via API to any services we've wanted so far. A couple of times we haven't been able to figure out issues on our own their support has proven to be very fast to respond and diligent with following up on any lingering concerns. Happy to recommend Panopta to anyone looking for a reliable, robust monitoring solution.
ProsEase of use; reliability; configurability; alerting systems; easily integrated with other systems
ConsThey don't have as many 'out of the box' integrations as some of the better-known solutions, however, it hasn't proven to be a big hurdle with a little work.
Recommendations to other buyersI've tried a lot of monitoring services and Panopta is the first that I've found to be very close to 100% reliable with its reporting and alerting systems.
Andy F.
CTO
Computer Software, 11-50 employees
December 6, 2016

“Just the right amount of monitoring”

OverallWe use Panopta as our front-line monitoring system at Nutshell, a SaaS product. In particular, we needed a tool that would notify the team via phone call, for late-night coverage. Panopta made this easy. We struggled with the iPhone app at first, but they've launched a new version which works great for us. It's nice to get an iPhone notification as a heads-up before we escalate to phone/text. The UI to attach notification schedules to services is a bit unwieldy, but they've made significant progress. We lean toward a simple configuration, ("Is the app up?"), and put members into several escalation groups (iPhone -> text -> phone). The effort, cost, and overhead of PagerDuty haven't proven necessary. Panopta's actual core monitoring platform has been bulletproof for us: no false positives, immediate notifications. It helpfully covers things like SMTP, DNS, and SSL expiry, too. We use other monitoring platforms, but Panopta is the source of truth, for both the operations team and the rest of the company!
ProsPhone call alerting, bulletproof monitoring, straightforward monitoring of an HTTPS endpoint
ConsThe UI to add a new team member to an existing schedule is a bit kludgy
Recommendations to other buyersAdd their phone number to an "Emergency" group on your iPhone, and configure it to break through do-not-disturb for the most effective wake-up call. Connect with Slack and StatusPage for the rest of your team and your customers.
Jonathan D.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
December 6, 2016

“Great System Monitoring Solution”

OverallPanopta has been wonderful for providing server monitoring for our applications. The ability to add custom dashboards to show key metrics and add alerts when those metrics are out of policy has been key to monitoring our physical infrastructure and has allowed us to focus on running our products vs running our systems. I would highly recommend to anyone looking to monitor public/private cloud and physical systems.
Pros- Cheaper than competitors - More features than competitors of similar price - Very robust dashboard an alert system
Cons- Dashboards can be a bit difficult to change - Not all features are obvious and can take some getting used to
Recommendations to other buyersLike most systems, there is a time investment to learn the ins and outs of the system but that time is well spent since once you understand how the system works it is an extremely valuable tool for your team.

By Panopta on December 19, 2016
Hi Jonathan, We agree, the current dashboard has some faults. Keep an eye out for our Dashboard revamp coming in the beginning of January! Let us know what you think and send us some feedback so we can continue to make improvements.
Richard L.
Enterprise Architect
Financial Services, 10,001+ employees

“Panopta is reliable”

OverallI switched from Pingdom after they made "improvements" that rendered a good product unusable. Switching to Panopta was easy, and gave me some extra flexibility in composing checks across multiple protocols. After two years I have not missed a single outage thanks to Panopta, the service is consistent and reliable. My main complaint is that their configuration UI is somewhat clunky and slow. Multiple page reloads are often performed for simple updates, and this can make it very slow to make bulk changes. A rewrite using up-to-date single-page techniques would make the UI experience much more fluid.
ProsReliability. Flexible checks.
ConsConfig UI is slow and clunky.
Recommendations to other buyersLast I tried the API it was somewhat complex. I may come back to this in future.

By Panopta on December 19, 2016
Hi Richard! Good news! We are releasing our beta 2.0 UI the first week of January. Keep a look out and please send us your thoughts and suggestions as the updates progress.
Michael C.
Computer Software, 1-10 employees
December 6, 2016

“Panopta is a critical element of any hosting setup”

OverallI have run a boutique hosting business alongside my web-based app development business for 17 years now. It works out well to have one company develop the software and host it. Being a small shop, I use outside services extensively to put my service offering together, and Panopta is a big part of that. I have never had problems with Panopta, it's always there when I need it. I could easily put together a system myself to monitor my websites. However, Panopta has a great feature that is difficult to replicate cheaply. Your website has a primary monitoring location - say "California". If the primary monitoring location finds your site down or unresponsive, it alerts other monitoring locations around the world. They all try to hit it then and only then determine if it's down. So if a connection on the internet is down but my site is up, Panopta won't bug me. I've never had a false alarm from Panopta. I was an early customer from what I can tell (I remember the founder emailing me directly once when I asked a question) and will be with them for a long time. The service has matured nicely over the years and really serves an important role in my company.
ProsIt just works.
ConsSometimes difficult to setup, but the complexity is expected for the service provided.
Seth C.
Broadcast Media, Self-employed

“Uptime Lifeline”

OverallIt's hard enough to keep up with servers 24/7/365 let alone when I'm traveling. The website and app make outages easy to manage when I'm on the go. The alerts come right to my phone. For the price this may be the best vendor I have. Scratch that, "IS"! The price is the same as when I signed up yet now I have a public status page and agent heartbeat to keep my business ticket. It's alive and well. Thanks Panopta!
ProsAgent heartbeat has a very light footprint on the servers. The flexibility of outage alerts is easy to customize as well.
ConsOnce, in a while I'll get a false alarm. Although, it's typically due to a new monitoring IP that needs whitelisting. Not too much trouble at all.
Recommendations to other buyersThe price is right. Even the app is free. I'm happy to write this off on my taxes every year.

By Panopta on December 19, 2016
Hi Seth! We could definitely do a better job of notifying you about new monitoring node IP addresses, I'll bring it up to our product team. In the meantime, you could subscribe to our mailing list or RSS feed for quick updates! You can find both here (https://www.panopta.com/monitoring-network/)
Keith P.
Managing Director

“Great service”

OverallI was first attracted by their brilliant name and tag line. Looking into the service I was quite impressed at how it operated. We immediately signed up and use it to monitor a few handfuls of nodes. We have now used it for a few years and love it. Our only gripe, and it's more my personal expectations, but faster email response and a reseller or affiliate program :)
ProsAbsolutely perfect minutely monitoring.
ConsSupport doesn't reply as fast as cPanel. Possibly just my unrealistic 3-hour expectations though.
Recommendations to other buyersIf you're not sure about something, ask their support team. The product is actually really extensive and helpful.
Kim P.
Content Production Manager
Health, Wellness and Fitness, 11-50 employees
December 6, 2016

“Panopta is a Life Saver!”

OverallOur servers went down before and after we signed up for Panopta's monitoring service. The difference is that we can act on it immediately now. It took literally 2 minutes to setup the service once we had signed up. The wizard did all the work. Now we get texts and emails within a minute of anything happening. This kind of peace of mind is priceless.
ProsEasy to setup. Can monitor just about anything we would need.
ConsHave not experienced anything negative yet on Panopta. (Been using it for over 2 years)
Vinayak S.
Summer Intern
Financial Services, 10,001+ employees
April 6, 2019

“Host online lectures with Panopta”

ProsVery user friendly. Comes with a mobile app which greatly helped me watch my university lecture videos on the go. Option to download video as well as you can put a restriction such that a user cannot download.
ConsSometimes the videos take a long time to buffer. The quality of video does not auto adjust with the internet speed quickly.

By Panopta on April 8, 2019
Thank you for the review Vinayak, but just to clarify, were you intending to review our network monitoring solution, Panopta? Or perhaps soundalike company Panopto?
April 6, 2019
Mihir S.
CTO
Legal Services, 11-50 employees

“Excellent Monitor Tools.”

OverallWe have been using Panopta for a couple years now and find it extremely useful, we have a network of sites that we need to monitor for uptime and we thoroughly depend on Panopta now to monitor their uptime, Panopta has alerted us instantly when the sites or servers are down and helped our team identify issues when a resource is down right away. I would recommend this to anyone is need for a monitoring resource.
Kevin W.
Production Support Manager
Computer Hardware, 1001-5000 employees
December 6, 2016

“Powerful Intuitive Website Monitoring - Just Lacks a Couple of Features”

OverallI love Panopta. It is my favorite platform for just monitoring websites. The outage simulator, easy tree-style interface, and awesome support will always make it a great system to work with. Just needs a few extra features such a RUM, APM, etc. There are other competitors that offer similar services for similar prices while also offering additional features as part of the over package. But, competitor's support is lacking as well as ease of use.
Pros- Nested Object Interface - On-Call Schedule Built-In - Calling for Free - Large amount of monitor types - Large amount of locations.
Cons- No RUM - No Docker - No APM

By Panopta on December 19, 2016
Hi Kevin! The good news is that most of what you suggested is on our roadmap; our Docker integration is coming soon! I'll shoot you a quick email with more details.
Erik M.
Computer Networking, Self-employed

“Works well”

OverallWorks well. Would like a bit more included in the basic packages as I feel it is a bit limited for a small player and the larger packages gets quite expensive quick so it feels a bit prohibitive cost wise for a small player.
ProsWorks well
ConsLimited amount of probes in the smaller packages
Recommendations to other buyersConsider increasing amount of probes and such for the smallest package

By Panopta on February 3, 2017
Hi Erik! Thanks for the review and the feedback. I'll send over an email so we can discuss a plan that's better suited for you! Keep an eye out in your inbox
Michael H.
IT Manager
Health, Wellness and Fitness, Unspecified
January 30, 2017

“Great real time outage alerts”

OverallPanopta allows me to actively monitor in real time the health status of my application. It is easy to set up and robust monitoring makes it ideal for me to monitor several key applications effectively.
ProsEasy setup, real-time monitoring
Truong P.
Cloud Administrator
Human Resources, 11-50 employees

“Excellent Product”

OverallI've very happy for using your production. It's so great to see in detail what we need from outside from the world.
Prostime for investigate monitor alert maintaince security mobile app scheduler multi service
ConsSome services are still not on your production. However, I can handle by another method.
Recommendations to other buyersOptimize API
David A.
Telecommunications, 1-10 employees

“Excellent Software”

OverallThis has been an excellent Monitoring Tool to supplement our Internal Monitoring Systems and gives us an Insight into our Network, from External Sources on the Internet throughout the day.
Paul S.
Developer

“Good stable monitoring”

OverallUsed to monitor all of our servers and web apps, allows us to monitor from multiple locations and emails and sends SMS quickly and efficiently. The service has a lot more to offer than for what I need as I only require basic monitoring and disk/ram/CPU usage and a couple of tests to test a web page is up.
ProsCheap, fast and reliable and support are very helpful.
Quentin C.
Senior Systems Engineer
Information Technology and Services, 51-200 employees
February 3, 2017

“Panopta is simply the best”

OverallI have been using Panopta for several years at several different employers. Each time I introduce the solution to my employer, we move forward with keeping it as a long term external monitoring solution. Not only is the platform easy to use, reliable, and intuitive but the staff is EXTREMELY responsive. They have helped me on several occasions on configuring alerts, API keys, etc. Would recommend this as a solution for a business looking for reliable monitoring.
ProsEasy configuration of notifications
ConsQuite frankly, none.
Christo B.
IT Support
December 7, 2016

“Customer and own private DC monitoring.”

OverallGreat value for money and product! I could gather from using the product. It is new, but the support to help works on problems that came up was resolved. Efficient and helpful support staff. New features I requested was quickly included and I was informed when the new features came available so I could test. Happy Reseller and Customer:)
ProsThe Value you get for your money.
Consthe Onsite appliance cost is to high.
December 7, 2016
Timothy G.
VP Operations
Internet, 11-50 employees

“Fully Featured.”

OverallWe found Panopta after becoming frustrated with Pingdom's convoluted and ever-changing dashboard experience. Panopta, on the other hand, has been great to use. The user interface is fairly modern, despite some quirks, and performance cannot be beaten. It has the enterprise features we need, such as custom alerting schedules and groups, and a comprehensive dashboard that shows exactly what's happening throughout our environment. Would highly recommend.
ProsFully featured and flexible. Useful for many sites/servers.
ConsLacking some reporting, the dashboard is a little buggy.

By Panopta on December 19, 2016
Hi Tim, Lucky for you, we're releasing our alpha dashboard in the beginning of January! Test it out and let us know what you think. RE: reporting, I'll reach out to you via email so we can discuss what improvements we can make.
Guillermo C.
Telecommunications, 1-10 employees

“It just works!”

OverallWe use Panopta to monitor our internal monitoring system (yes, somebody needs to watch over monitoring systems too) and also to have a general view of our network from outside, so far has been very solid, they are always improving and releasing new features. It is powerful, easy to use and affordable
ProsPowerful, you can monitor almost everything Nice public status page
Kieran J.
January 9, 2017

“A feature full reliable monitoring service.”

OverallPanopta gives us the peace of mind we need to keep our network and servers online and available, it quickly picks up faults and gives us a huge array of options and flexibility on the manner in which we are notified. Being able to schedule different types and layers of notification is especially helpful as we can start with simple emails and work our way up to phone calls. It is a shame that it doesn't support telephone extensions for calling as it sometimes means that automated phone calls get lost or only partially recorded into voicemail but that was easily worked around by getting direct numbers without extensions where required. Also support for mobile is extremely poor, the mobile app works but the website itself is utterly unusable. In terms of reliability, to my knowledge we've never had any problems, it always works and picks up faults. I am aware of only one or two occasions in years of using Panopta where there have been false positives. All in all a good service that I personally would recommend over other monitoring companies.
Rohman M.
DevOps Engineer
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
January 6, 2017

“Your answer for your cluster”

OverallSince using panopta as our monitoring service in Adskom we always notified and resolve our problem faster
Darko A.
web Aplication Consultant
Financial Services, 5001-10,000 employees
January 31, 2017

“Perfect tool - help us a lot and save time ”

OverallWe have a lot of web applications and portals. With Panopta we are able to track external outstaging rapidly and increase customer satisfaction.
ProsIts easy to use.
ConsTrace is not always good enough monitoring approach.
Recommendations to other buyersGo on this way and will be perfect
Michael E.
Devops
Automotive, 11-50 employees

“Wejo review!!!”

OverallGood overall, great ui and ease of use. Would like to see more options in regards to cloud services like AWS etc.
ProsEase of use
ConsLack of cloud managed services
Eric H.

“In use for 7+ years”

OverallWhile TeamSupport.com started in May 2008, we did not "open" our doors until late Q1-09. We knew from day 1 that we'd need a tool in place to help us monitor our stack, and alert us well before our customers might notice any issues. I can say as a long time user, their UI is very simple, and the alerts are always spot on, and easy to manage. We have several people in our account being notified on various events, and it's also very easy to pause alerting during any planned maintenance. In all of our years with Panopta, I never once felt a need to complain about their service. They've been an extremely valuable and reliable partner.
Brian S.
April 26, 2016

“Excellent Service, highly reliable”

OverallI worked with Alison over the course of a couple of months to make sure Panopta was a great fit for our business. We have tried several monitoring platforms, hosted ... not hosted, and Panopta came out the best for uptime monitoring. The Control Panel platform is easy to use and doesn't leave you wondering with "what do I do next?" During our trial, Alison setup a sample Dashboard for us and we use it to this day. Any time of the day or night, our team may hit question or two on functionality - so they hop on the live chat within the Panopta site and within minutes, someone from their team has an answer and the problem is resolved.
April 26, 2016
eamonn m.
devoops
Computer & Network Security, 10,001+ employees

“devops engineer”

OverallI like the service once setup properly. Something lacking is good java/jmx monitoring, not easy to read and no heap/garbage collection metrics I can see. The UI needs to be revamped I think, more ajax calls etc.
ProsWorks once setup properly
ConsMore advaced metrics like java tomcat metrics. The ui is not too user friendly
Karl H.
Technical Director
Internet, 1-10 employees

“Solid performance, mostly”

OverallOverall we're happy - all outages seem to be notified. The issue we do have is false notifications, that tend to wake up engineers in the middle of the night for no reason.
ProsMostly accurate
ConsFalse positives.
Higher Education, 1-10 employees
December 12, 2018

“Quick setup and relatively easy monitorying”

OverallOverall they have been great to work with
ProsPanopta's support was very helpful in getting us up and running. So far it has been able to scale with our infrastrutures and is very user friendly when it comes to monitoring.
ConsWe've had some false positive alerts, but haven't had those in a while so we think it was a bug that they fixed or we didn't have it configured properly out the gate.
December 12, 2018
Forrest D.
Director of Technology
June 12, 2017

“I used Panopta to manage our multiple data centers. ”

ProsI like the flexibility of monitoring. The software that I used previously was computer based and prone to crashing. Having a web based solution is much more practical and stable.
June 12, 2017
Yauhen S.
January 30, 2017

“Very good service to monitor servers”

OverallThe overall experience is good. The charts look a bit heavy and miss some advanced interaction options (like realtime zooming and panning). Also it would be nice to have API for data

By Panopta on January 30, 2017
Hi, Yauhen! Thanks for the review! I wanted to let you know that we do have an API available! As for the chart capabilities, you'll see those in the new Dashboards coming out in March :) I'll email you some details!
Michael G.

“Solid and informational”

OverallWe utilize the Panopta service to monitor in three ways: 1. Internet connection 2. SAAS connectivity 3. Problem remote sites It lets know when any of the services have an issue and provide reports from multiple points around the world to show the depth of the outage. It reduces the "mean time to innocence" for network staff.
Andrew C.
December 19, 2016

“Panopta gives me peace of mind”

OverallOur small firm uses Panopta to monitor critical services on our client and collocated servers. Over the years we've used in-house, self-hosted or other third party solutions. None have offered the features, value, ease of use or reliability of Panopta. They are quick to respond to any questions and are now an integral part of my business.
Hayden K.
February 5, 2017

“Great monitoring on a great price point.”

OverallWe were looking for a good remote monitoring system at a reasonable price, and Panopta has delivered exactly that. A highly configurable and yet still intuitive intercace, and a support team that are very responsive to any queries. We've had a couple of nagging issues with false positives, but each of this has been fixable.
February 5, 2017
Matthew B.

“Excellent uptime monitor”

OverallPanopta does a great job of spreading the uptime monitor across the globe for more reliable assessments of uptime. I have had some times of "false positives" but which are much more easily attributed to issues with Chinese internet than it is to a Panopta issue.
Joseph W.

“Great Value”

OverallWe made a good choice with Panopta. For a very reasonable annual fee, I am able to keep an eye on server health, easily configure uptime and content monitors, and customize my alerts pretty easily. I've had responsive support and can see the developers continue to invest in the product.
Ryan B.
January 6, 2017

“Panopta is good, but needs some functionality to be great.”

OverallI have been using Panopta for 6 months now and it makes monitoring our servers significantly easier and more dependable. I have run into times where the Selenium script I use works in Selenium but not Panopta, leaving some of our servers un-monitored.
Chayan R.
December 21, 2016

“Great product and easy to setup”

OverallIt was surprised that it supports international phone numbers and SMS. This is a rare feature for most products out there. It didn't work for me at the first time, but with only one support contact, they fixed my issue.
December 21, 2016
Shabbir M.

“Reliable Experience ”

OverallI setup Panopta to monitor the uptime of my servers to make sure we had little to no downtime. Any questions or issues that arose, Panopta support team was there to help. The control panel configuration setup was also a seamless process.
Alison K.
January 30, 2017

“Great Monitoring for the Technically Savvy.”

OverallYou can't beat the price of this service. Some of the set up is tricky if you don't have a lot of technical savvy skills, but their customer service is great about helping you out.
Lukasz W.
January 9, 2017

“You did a nice tool that helps.”

Overall- the ux / configuration is not as easy as it could be - for me the most valuable thing is "phone ringing" - you could add an integration with AWS Cloud Watch - use it metrics to provide your alarms.
Thomas V.
January 6, 2017

“Panopta helped us to monitor multiple endpoints easily”

OverallPanopta helped us to put all our monitoring to a single service. Before that, we had to use multiple services in order to get what we wanted. Not an easy thing to achieve these days.
Robin A.

“Panopta System Monitoring”

OverallThe Panopta software does what is says on the box. We manage all our customer systems using Panopta and know immediately if anything needs attention via email alerts. This service is invaluable to us.
Kenneth C.
February 10, 2017

“Great external monitoring”

OverallInternal monitoring is an absolute must but nothing completes it better than Panopta. Pricing is reasonable and the source locations provided are the largest I've seen.
February 10, 2017
Mike R.
January 31, 2017

“Great Value For The Money”

OverallAlthough we're new to Panopta, it's been a huge leap over the products we've used in years past. The price can't be beat and it does exactly what we want it to do.
Matthew S.

“Great monitoring tool”

OverallGreat external monitoring tool, with a ton of 3rd party integrations. Setting up checks and alerts are pretty straight forward. Good tool to have in your monitoring toolbox.
David M.

“Panopta service”

OverallGood, powerful monitoring service, like how you can set thresholds for the alerts, would be good if you could 'force' a retest at any time but otherwise very happy with Panopta.
Hamid Reza K.
December 16, 2016

“Panopta is awesome”

OverallIt's been the most accurate and stable monitoring system I have ever used plus their great customer service and affordable plans. Highly recommended.
December 16, 2016
John B.
February 12, 2017

“Really is always on the lookout”

OverallPanopta is a great monitoring tool. Slightly more advanced than others on the market which suits our technical requirements.
February 12, 2017
uriel p.

“Is Interesting Tool”

OverallIs very useful tool for monitoring, help us to monitoring our server and analize our needs, we still evaluating thank you