Dynalist Ratings

Overall

About Dynalist

Helps you organize all your tasks and projects in one place with infinite-zoom lists. Learn more about Dynalist

Management Consulting, 201-500 employees
July 26, 2018

“My favorite list tracking tool”

OverallProductivity. Knowledge base. Personal planning and goal setting repository.
ProsDynalist is my go-to planning tool. The tool is one of the most elegant applications I have ever come across. It is so intuitive. And so useful! It allows me to organize ideas into chunks via bullet points and also allows these nested lists to go as deep as I want. I can reorder points on my list by copy-pasting it where I want with or without the nested lists. In addition, these bullets can be expanded and collapsed, which makes it possible for me to at times create huge documents around a specific idea without making the document look too overwhelming. The items in these lists are searchable and it is this feature that makes it most powerful. I can also highlight specific points via highlights, bold, italics, strikethroughs, etc. Everything is in the cloud and if you're a pro user like me, you can get daily backups of your work on dropbox and google drive. I use Dynalist for my personal as well as professional needs. I really love this tool!
ConsI don't think the tool has any cons as such. One minor issue I have faced (and I may be sounding hyper-critical here) is that if I want to upload a file, I know I have to drop the file into the workspace. The file gets uploaded and a link to the file is generated and is shown in a pop up. If I close that pop-up, I still don't know how to access that file. My workaround to that issue is to re-upload the file and use the new link from the pop up. Maybe there is a way to circumvent my approach, but since I didn't know how, I am listing it as a con (although it is not really a con).
July 26, 2018
Computer Software, Self-employed
June 14, 2019

“Note taking and to do list app for students”

OverallI am using Dynalist as a student daily. I mainly use it to take notes while studying and also as my main to-do list application. I am very satisfied with Dynalist overall since it meets all my expectations.
ProsThe one thing I loved about Dynalist is its simplicity. Dynalist fully embraces the functionality and ease of use of the bullet point note taking system. Everything in the program consists of bullet points. You can even nest it to multiple levels deep which come handy during taking notes of complex notions.
ConsThe only thing I can criticize in Dynalist is the color system. It is possible to change the color of specific notes or tasks. However, there are only predefined colors available. I would love to have the option to choose the color either within the color palette or write the hexadecimal or RGB color code for the desired color.
June 14, 2019
Computer Software, Self-employed
August 1, 2019

“Best bullet style to-do app”

OverallMy overall experience with Dynalist has been nothing but joy. I am not exaggerating when I say since I have started using Dynalist I am always happy when I write new to-do list or notes because I know that they will never get organized or messy. Dynalist's excellent system helps me to keep my notes organized all the time.
ProsI have been using the bullet-style to-do apps as long as I can remember. I can surely say, without a doubt, Dynalist is the best one I have used so far. They have managed to merge both style and efficiency in one app. I have always kept my notes organized, however, ever since I have started to use Dynalist my productivity is on another level. I use it for all, I can take notes in university, I can keep a list and progress of my goals, I can even plan my next vacation.
ConsTo be quite honest, it is very hard to find something wrong with Dynalist. However, I would like to have more colors or even custom color selection for highlighting special bullet points in a list. Though, I am almost certain developer team in Dynalist will implement this feature in no time.
August 1, 2019
Internet, 501-1000 employees
June 20, 2018

“In these times of information overload, want to get organized? Use Dynalist!”

OverallProductivity
ProsDynalist functions like a zoomable document that provides flexibility in organizing ideas. Its biggest strength is in letting me type and organize information around a subject that is complex. It has allowed me time and again to get my thoughts organized. I use this for all my important note taking including marking of important dates and planning activities around those. The tool has excellent search capabilities and retrieves items or files blazingly fast. The tool also has an iOs app which I use to retrieve my notes on the go.
ConsNot a lot to dislike about this tool, really! One minor gripe I have is that the team recently released a chrome extension that is supposed to clip snippets you come across online. This feature is still in its infancy stages as it does not allow you to append it to specific documents of your choice.
June 20, 2018
Neeraj H.
Data Analytics Professional
Management Consulting, 51-200 employees
April 24, 2018

“Dynalist is like my second brain. I store all my notes here.”

OverallThis app helps me dig up important notes when I want them. It has lightning fast search. The tool also allows you to structure your thoughts in an organized manner. I really like the clarity this tool has helped me achieve.
ProsDynalist is an extremely easy to use software that lets you organize ideas in simple lists. I use it extensively to plan to-dos, capture notes on books or blogs I have read, as well as brainstorm ideas. I am on their pro plan and even get daily backups to my gmail & dropbox. They even allow you to import from other tools such as workflowy. The ability to upload files is a feature I discovered recently - I know I will be using it soon!
ConsDon't really have any cons to list. The mobile app has been a work in progress and they update it fairly frequently. As of now, I use it primarily from a laptop.
April 24, 2018
Emily S.
Administrative Assistant
Research, 10,001+ employees
November 30, 2018

“Dynalist”

OverallI LOVE this software. I use it for nearly everything. Journaling, notes, startups I'm following, ideas, Todo lists, etc. It's a fantastic service and the developers are so kind and care about their users. Workflowy was the first, but dynalist is by far the best. I'll be subscribing to pro as soon as I'm in a bit of a more stable financial situation, and I don't subscribe to anything! I'd like to mention too, that I'm not subscribing for more features. The free version offers anything you could possibly want from this software, I'm mostly subbing to support the devs. Great team, great software! Also it's accessable everywhere!!
ProsVery easy to use, great pro service, very responsive Dev team, and many new features that aren't overwhelming.
ConsI could benefit from a few more customization options here and there, but it isn't necessary.
November 30, 2018
Telecommunications, 10,001+ employees
October 11, 2019

“Simple and delivers what is expected”

OverallVery good! I have tried some similar ones before, but this is by far the best one.
ProsIt is easy, we have only text ( for some kind of use this is enough -like to do notes). I like a lot the organization inside notes, subnores, folders. For the free version it delivers more than similar ones in Pro version
ConsDidnt find how to move several notes from one folder to the other. Not so easy to modify characters to bold or italic ( must put a sign to identify). It would have some APIs to open communication so the info could be stored there via other apps, emails etc. Besides that , it is a honest App and very useful daily
October 11, 2019
Craige Hardel -.
Marketing and Advertising, 1-10 employees
August 26, 2019

“Best outliner on the internet”

OverallVery good app and customer support is on point Their roadmap seems pretty impressive too
ProsWorks very well offline and even on Linux. I'm using Linux temporarily and it fitted like a glove. They are more flexible than workflowy and offer dark mode for free which is life changing.
ConsMobile app still needs a bit of work. It should be easier to delete and move notes when you're done with them It would be nice to embed images like notion
August 26, 2019
Computer Software, 1001-5000 employees
September 16, 2019

“Very good application for getting organized”

OverallI would recommend Dynalist everyone that wants to stay organized with their notes and not lose their head when searching through them to find the note they have taken two weeks ago.
ProsSince I have started to use Dynalist I have been very organized with my notes. I use it for all areas of my life - I take notes during lectures in university, I note the ideas down for programming events I organize and so on. Dynalist also makes it easy to find notes whenever I want because of its good organizational structure.
ConsI am visual learner so I would like to have themes in Dynalist. I really like night mode but I would also like to have other themes to change the interface of application for my taste or mood.
September 16, 2019
Ling Ling L.
Distribution Associate
Publishing, 11-50 employees
October 3, 2017

“As a person who loves lists, Dynalist was the perfect option for me!”

OverallThe ability to organize tasks in list-form, and archive past to-do lists.
Pros- Tags - Bookmarks - Checklists - Organize lists in different folders - Able to expand or hide all the lists in a folder - Drag and drop - Free alternative to similar software - Downloadable app - Sync across multiple devices - Strikeout feature available - Able to add notes - Certain styling options available (e.g., highlighting a bullet point, headers, etc.) - Able to export lists - Able to share and collaborate - Hyperlinking
ConsI honestly don't have many cons for Dynalist aside from wishing there were some more styling options. However, the free version does limit the number of bookmarks you can have. The Pro version, of course, offers more features but I was content with what the free version offered.
October 3, 2017
Joseph D.
Vice President of Product and User Experience
Computer Software, 51-200 employees
June 10, 2017

“The best online outliner and task list tool out there. ”

OverallDynalist is indispensable for organizing my thoughts and my plan for the day. It is also the best note takin tool for meetings that I've found.
ProsI've used a lot of outliners including Checkvist, Workflowy, OmniOutliner and even MooDo. This software is so easy to use, has excellent keyboard support, great functionality and awesome mobile optimization. It combines the best of Checkvist with the focusing/single-list functionality of Workflowy. It's awesome. I use it in meetings and have had several coworkers sign up after watching me use it for 30 min. Their customer support and community is amazing, especially considering the company size at this point. Love this tool.
ConsOnly one small paper cut (the rest is a dream): They are still working on the iOS app, so on mobile I still use the Web app.
June 10, 2017
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Self-employed
September 19, 2019

“It organized all my life.”

ProsOne of the easiest software applications I have ever used. Very useful to capture notes, brainstorm ideas and plan your to-do list. The free version offers anything I need but I am still planing to upgrade for pro as soon as I have financial stability.
ConsThe overall experience with the app was very high, however I would like to see some upgrades related to interface themes of application.
September 19, 2019
diksha n.
Content Manager
Marketing and Advertising, 11-50 employees
April 5, 2019

“Best tool to chalk out your thoughts”

OverallOne should definitely try their hands on Dynalist. It is an amazing tool to structure your viewpoints which acts as the sources to draw the references for your further piece of task.
ProsDynalist is one of the best tools to organize my plans before diving into a piece of work. Quite efficiently this tool allows me to outline my triggers, around which I can web the rest of my piece of content. As a writer I find it a crucial element that gives me a vivid structure to work upon. Besides that the features involved are of great help in laying down my plan without any hassle. The lists prepared with this tool are convenient to edit according to my changing thoughts. Moreover whatever to do with this tool is all saved in the cloud which makes it even more fascinating.
ConsIf I reminisce my experience with Dynalist, I hardly could find any flaw in this tool. Except one that I am unable to copy paste something from the created lists to my original document with the help of the shortcut keys. These keys do not function in compliance with this tool. Rest all is great.
April 5, 2019
Paulo C.
The owner (of my home)
Management Consulting, 1-10 employees
July 8, 2016

“Workflow(y) - but the friendly way”

OverallWell, if you, like me, wonders about another todo list - the free way (a text file), or a tiddlywiky or some sort of all that, you MUST try Dynalist.io. I tried workflowy, Moo.do, Cotton notes - but the zen of a simple notepad to write a diary, a project, an outline, is Dynalist. In fact it makes remenmber me a ios tool calledd Trunk Notes, that I miss very much (the desktop counterpart is a mess, and the lua support is horrible). Missing: an editor for ios. Dates and reminders (sort of). The crew say they are handling it. You must try this. At the second day, after an workflowy file import, I was paying the 3,9 bucks for the month license. Amazing!
ProsThe freedom of an outline editor in a browser.
ConsIt misses dates. I need a ios version too.
Recommendations to other buyersTry it.

By Dynalist on August 5, 2016
Hi Paulo, Dynalist has date support now. We would really appreciate it if you could try it out!
July 8, 2016
Henry E.
Vice President of Customer Success
Telecommunications, 11-50 employees
January 21, 2019

“Great list manager”

ProsReally like Dynalist - easy to use and fast and free version is awesome!
ConsWish they had a side bar that stayed up in the iPad version.
January 21, 2019
July 3, 2018

“Love Dynalist for notetaking, but images & iPad app are tough”

ProsI really like that Dynalist has created a full suite of apps for Apple (Mac, iPad, iPhone) as well as the web app. It's easy to use, fairly intuitive, and now I can't live without being able to hide and expand bullet points.
ConsCopying and pasting images into it is difficult - you can't embed images directly unless you pay, so the images are hosted from the source. This means that if a website deletes an image, you won't be able to access it anymore. (One workaround for this is just to use Cloudapp for hosting) iPad app is also a bit glitchy at times, but Dynalist has supposedly fixed this with the last update.
July 3, 2018
Ruairi M.
Freelancer
Online Media, Self-employed
June 11, 2019

“Dynalist fits the way my brain thinks”

OverallI organise almost all of my life using Dynalist, I would be in serious bother if I ever lost the content in it (not that I think I will ever lose it but this illustrates how much I use it!).
ProsEase of use, tagging, bookmarking, sorting entries in different ways (Workflowy does not have this). I review entire books, take notes on topics I'm studying, manage my freelance to-do lists, and more, all with Dynalist - it's that flexible!
ConsOn Mac Desktop, formatting is actually in the text, e.g. bolded text **looks like this**, slows me down slightly as I have to use mouse or arrows to exit bolded text.
June 11, 2019
Online Media, Self-employed
April 16, 2019

“My New Go To Note Taking App”

OverallA great alternative to Google Keep, works well and syncs across all my devices. It is my daily note taking app.
ProsI love the layout and how it uses bulleted lists which can be nested. I like how you can have folders to organize notes. It also syncs really well across all of my devices, has a lot of options and the keyboard shortcuts are logical and make things easy to modify when needed.
ConsThe only con I can think of is that their premium model is based on monthly payments, which I understand, I just wished they could offer a one off price. But the free version is feature packed and meets my needs.
April 16, 2019