PaymentEvolution Payroll Ratings

Overall

About PaymentEvolution Payroll

Payroll solution in Canada - process payroll quickly and efficiently. Learn more about PaymentEvolution Payroll

Kyle U.
Education Management, 11-50 employees
February 8, 2017

“Biggest mistake was leaving Payment Evolution...but they took me back”

OverallPayment Evolution was my first experience with online payroll, and it beat the pants off Quickbooks! I halfed my payroll entry time, quartered my time spent on ROEs, and getting rid of cheque payments to staff while providing them with online record keeping all was good. Then came the price restructuring and I found myself one staff member into the higher tier, and the competition offered a 'we'll match PE and save you another 10%'. WORST thing I have ever done was leaving PE. 8 month of inflexible software, overly complex user interface, errors, painful online reporting for staff, & customer service nightmare! I am so glad Payment Evolution was willing to take me back. Completely the opposite experience: support that knows what they are doing, that proactively offers assistance in a timely manner, intuitive software that is simple enough that I can usually find the answers I need on my own. They have written code just for me. I can't say enough good things about them. My only pain (other than inconvenient for me pricing tiers) is that they haven't made their Business Payment service available to us Quickbooks offline folks yet. Yet.
ProsIntuitive. Everything is simple and straightforward. I can figure out 90% of what I need to do myself, and in those 10% situations the support forum has descriptions detailed enough to get me back on track.
ConsThere is one text box that doesn't trigger when you press enter, instead you have to press the send button...grrrr...and its logout for inactivity is slightly too short for my liking.

By PaymentEvolution on January 13, 2018
Thanks for the feedback Kyle! We're really to happy to have you back and appreciate the feedback you've given us on pricing plans. QuickBooks (desktop) integration is available for payroll but not for business payments as you've pointed out. We're continuing to look at the business case for supporting QB desktop for business payments - it's a bit of a challenge given the offline nature of the product. - Kinga Jasek
Nancy M.
Operations Manager
Architecture & Planning, 1-10 employees
February 16, 2017

“Great Product and Service”

OverallWe have been using the software for a few years and it is very easy to use. We appreciate the helpful emails with online seminars for generating T4's at year end. The customer support staff are very friendly and always so helpful.
ProsIt is an easy software to use for those just starting up a business. It also provides a lot different reports that are helpful.
ConsI think the only con would be the section where you have to close off a month when generating payroll. It sometimes gets confusing and it splits out the source deduction amount by pay rather than month. We pay per month, so it would be beneficial to have the total of the 2 or 3 months deductions noted in one amount for submission.
Recommendations to other buyersWell thought out software!

By PaymentEvolution on February 17, 2017
Hi Nancy! we are always looking for ways to better our product. Closing a period can get confusing and because everyone has a different way as to how they would like their period closed, we are working on a way that works for everyone. Thank you for your feedback!
Travis G.
Founder and designer
E-Learning, 1-10 employees
February 15, 2017

“Great product idea  needs serious design investment”

OverallIt's great that you guys have this service, but to be honest, I feel very uncomfortable actually using it and sort of regret paying for a year (we haven't done a full payroll yet, despite nearly completing the process several times). The main issues for me are the overall user experience, buggy/sloppy interface, and confusing flow. It really feels like you don't care about the design of the interface, which reduces my trust in the system. Also some big functional oddities, like requiring separate accounts for the admin and their own employee account, is a huge pain. There's also little explanation of how the flow needs to work, and which info is required before you start the payroll process. And lastly, having to run payroll a few days in advance makes it awkward to get started if you're accustomed to doing it the day before which may be a bad habit on my part, but does prevent me from committing to PE. If I were you, I'd suggest investing in some great UX and UI design. It would really make all the difference in the world for us. It HAS to be better than our current method of running payroll (have our accountant help us with the proper deduction amounts and manually paying everything via our online banking) which actually isn't that bad. Even a tightening of the UI would go a long way. I have to be honest, I can't see us renewing again. I wish there was another alternative we could use in Canada, but unfortunately, we'll probably just stick to what we do now.
ProsThe actual function of running payroll and calculating deductions is a great and useful idea.
ConsThe design needs some serious polish and improvement. (not just the aesthetics, but the overall userflow, experience, etc)
Recommendations to other buyersThe design is really getting in the way for us. It makes me not trust the system  or even trust myself to use the system properly.

By PaymentEvolution on February 16, 2017
Thank you Travis for your review. We are grateful that many of the features of our service benefit your business and have saved you time. Our goal is to ensure PaymentEvolution is one of the easiest and most robust services to automate your back office. We appreciate your candid remarks about the UI not being as intuitive for you and our team is looking at how to make the process even better. We'll be in touch shortly to get some specific recommendations from you. This and the requests we receive in our public help forums drive the development of our services. Again, thank you for your feedback - we love hearing how we can do better.
Individual & Family Services, Unspecified
April 21, 2015

“I am very pleased with this product”

OverallAfter using a PC based software which was difficult to use and didn't report the way we needed, this is a dream! We had an accountant and Point of Sale system and just needed a payroll component. This really fit the bill and so far, is working beautifully. It's so automated and yet, there are many ways to customize it (for example, vacation pay calculations for your province). I haven't found a way that it will calculate stat pay though. Remittances were a breeze with this easy app. Each employee is sent the pay advice into their email or it can be printed for them. As one starts the payroll run, all the information is filled out: the pay period dates, the hours if the employees are paid the same every pay period (so just change it to the hours they actually worked), their pay rate, etc. Since it is cloud based, it can be run from anywhere around the world. I am very pleased with this product. I actually look forward to payroll now.
ProsEasy to use. Product support was amazing for the couple of questions I have had. Cost effective at $17/month (no hidden add-on fees) Communicates payroll effectively with employee
ConsI couldn't find a way to export employee information from my software to Payment Evolution, so had to enter it manually. With 10 employees it was fairly simple and just had to enter YTD amounts along with employee information.
April 21, 2015
Kelly T.
office manager
Medical Practice, 1-10 employees
November 5, 2018

“payment evolution”

ProsThis software is a great way to prepare and keep track of all your year end and day to day payroll needs.
ConsCan take a bit of time to learn how to properly use.
November 5, 2018
February 16, 2019

“Use a different payroll software”

ProsThey will remit your taxes for you if you pay for that option. In terms of use for running the payroll it is fairly easy.
ConsI've had it with PE's program. My last straw was just pulled. I spent the last 2.5 hours entering T4A's manually thinking it was saving each one each time I hit save and it said it was saved. It didn't save any of them. This is stacked on the fact that their software had a glitch and showed bills weren't paid when the payment actually did go through the first time. This technological error resulted in a substantial double withdrawal from the bank account. I also think it is a ripoff that it costs money any time you have to make a change. With other payroll software where the Bookkeeper is in charge you can amend and delete things without it costing $30-$100 each adjustment. Overall, I think there are way better options out there, and I know because I have used them. Just having 2.5 hours of my work go down the drain when I still had another 3 to go is my final straw. I will be using other software for clients going forward. I had come to this conclusion years ago, but was forced to use it again when a client had already been signed up with PE.
February 16, 2019
Tina L.
Financial Services, 1-10 employees
February 9, 2017

“Excellent software and great customer service”

OverallI have had an excellent experience using Payment Evolution for the last year for our companies payroll. The system is beyond easy to use. They are always offering webinars to help with common questions or issues. Their customer service is absolutely amazing. They are fast and I have never had an issue they couldn't help me resolve.
ProsEasy to use Great resources on site to help with problems or issues Great customer Service
ConsReports are not the easiest to interpret and some critical reports are not offered

By PaymentEvolution on February 15, 2017
Hi Tina, Thank you for the kind words. We are happy to hear that PaymentEvolution has been helping you with your payroll! Thank you also for your feedback. We will definitely be looking into ways to make our reports more accessible to our clients.
Tina T.
HR Coordinator
Insurance, 51-200 employees

“Payroll Made Easy!”

OverallOur business has used Payment Evolution as our payroll provider for over a year now. We love the platform because it is so sophisticated yet easy to use - we save time, money and appreciate how simple it is to pay our employees!
ProsI like the look, cost, customer support
ConsWish the reporting function was more detailed. Looking through pay stubs needs to be updated - there should be a drop down menu instead of a click to go to the next employee

By PaymentEvolution on February 15, 2017
Hi Tina, We are happy to hear that you love our platform and that we are saving you both time and money! Thank you as well for the feedback that you have provided. We will definitely be looking into our reporting to help make accessing payslips much easier. Look forward to working with you!
DeeDee R.
CFO
Fund-Raising, 1-10 employees

“Easy Payroll ”

OverallThank God for Payment Evolution. It has made our payroll and T4 time much more effective. Our payroll takes about 1/2 the time. Every support email has been addressed quickly. I have always been satisfied with this system.
ProsHow easy it is to do payroll.

By PaymentEvolution on February 15, 2017
Hi DeeDee Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that we helped cut your payroll time in half! We hope business is going well and look forward to continue to work with you.
Aly D.
Information Technology and Services, 1-10 employees
February 10, 2017

“An amazing software, built by amazing people!”

OverallThe team at Payment Evolution has created a simple and intuitive platform that helps make our lives easier. More importantly, any time we've needed support, the team has been quick to respond and are incredibly friendly. I'd highly recommend Payment Evolution!
ProsEase of use
Consnone

By PaymentEvolution on February 16, 2017
Hi Aly. Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear that PaymentEvolution has been making your life easier!
February 10, 2017
Trina S.
General Manager
Human Resources, 1-10 employees

“Excellent Program”

OverallI love Payment Evolution! The only recommendation I have is the printing of pay stubs - perhaps I am not doing it correctly, but the way it prints is not the most appealing.
ProsCost and ease of use
ConsPrinting of reports

By PaymentEvolution on February 16, 2017
Hi Trina, Thank you for your kind words. There are ways within the system to modify the way you print your cheques to match your cheque stock. If you need a hand on completing this, feel free to contact us directly, we are happy to help.
Tracy C.
Accounting
Computer Software, 1-10 employees

“Payroll Review”

OverallI have been using payment evolution for over 1 year. I find it user friendly and if I do have a question the customer service is fantastic. I love the webinars as well, I don't usually need them but the few I have joined were great!
Prosvery user friendly
Conssometimes things always as clear as they could be ex. the vacation pay, when paying everything out it puts a zero which when it is your first time doing that can be quite confusing.

By PaymentEvolution on February 21, 2017
Hi Tracy! We are so happy to hear that you frequent our webinars and find them useful! We will definitely be looking for a way to make the vacation payout much more clear. thank you for the feedback!
Robert J.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 1-10 employees

“Payroll Review”

OverallQuick and easy to use. Great support as well. Save me time doing my paper work and makes it easier for employees to get paied.
ProsQuick and easy to use

By PaymentEvolution on February 16, 2017
Hi Robert! Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear that PaymentEvolution is making it easier for you to pay your employees!
Todd S.
Retail, 1-10 employees
November 8, 2018

“Payroll needs too many days notice to run with direct deposit”

Overallwouldn't recommend, there has to be an easier, and more cost effective way to do payroll, I'm thinking of going back to cheques because it is easier. I don't see any benefit of this system over a standard system like QuickBooks.
Prosdoes the taxes... allows direct payments to vendors, however, I would NOT recommend the service, you have to pay for a setup fee, the transaction fee is the same or more than the bank.
Consneed to submit payroll too far in advance to allow direct deposit to work. popup after every change slows the entry process cant change multiple items then click save reporting is clumsy all of naivgation is clumsy not very good instructions on how to run a payroll or hoe to set up properly, maybe better for an accountant but not for a general business owner
November 8, 2018
Alexander N.
Tax Professional
Accounting, 1-10 employees
April 22, 2018

“Very good decision for Payroll for small business.”

OverallNo problem with Payroll (at all) + direct deposit + XERO integration.
ProsSuper Payroll software for small business firms. Free version for simple payroll till five (5) employee! Free XERO integration.
ConsReally I don't know. May be it has some inconvenient things for difficult (complicated) Payroll, but for simple Payroll - it is great!
April 22, 2018
Alexandra B.
Restaurants, 11-50 employees
March 13, 2018

“Easy to set up and use. Put the control back in our hands for payroll management. ”

OverallCheaper, faster, easier and more control over payroll!
ProsWe took our payroll in house a few months and so far we are really impressed with how easy Payment Evolution has been to use. Training and setup were easy and quick. We were able to customise all kinds of aspects of the system from the content of the pay stub emails to the various deductions for full time staff members. Not having to pick up cheques and distribute paystubs is way more time effective and we feel like we have greater control over our company's payroll.
ConsSome of the areas of the software are not intuitive for users who are new to payroll.
March 13, 2018
Olumide J.

“Easy to use”

OverallI find it relatively easy to use even with little knowledge about payroll/remittance to CRA. Needed something fast and efficient to do payroll and remittance for 1 employee and my experience has been excellent so far. Like the idea i can find all previous remittances in one place and the fact that T4 generation at year end is a breeze. In addition, employee gets a customized location where their payslips are stored for easy access.

By PaymentEvolution on February 16, 2017
Thank you for your feedback! we are SO happy that you are finding our system fast and efficient for your business. We are so happy to have you on board!
Charlotte .
January 8, 2013

“Really easy to use payroll”

OverallWith the new year we decided to look for a new payroll service to manage payroll for our 17 employees. We were using QuickBooks but the price kept going up. We took a look at PaymentEvolution payroll and were immediately impressed by the simple interface. I actually learned how to use it within just a few minutes - and within about 15min of registering, we had finished our first payrun. Best of all, PaymentEvolution sends the payroll information to QuickBooks so our accountant is happy. Pros: - easy to use - fast to setup - integrates with QuickBooks Cons: - Canada only (for now we're told)
January 8, 2013
Marissa K.
Executive Director
Non-Profit Organization Management, 1-10 employees
February 16, 2017

“Andrea's help with Year-End/T4 Generation”

OverallAndrea's support was amazing, we could not have done it without her. Her knowledge and sense of urgency was very much appreciated. Thank you for everything!

By PaymentEvolution on February 17, 2017
Hi Marissa :) thank you for the great feedback! we look forward to working with you in the future.
Michelle N.
October 18, 2011

“Really a very easy and user friendly solution”

OverallFor any SMB living in Canada, PaymentEvolution is really a very easy and user friendly solution to use. With the exception of adding in employee information and salary amounts, the program basically does all the calculating and hard work for you. PaymentEvolution also offers different ways to pay employees as well as allows you to customize your payment options. Therefore I would recommend this program to any Canadian-based SMBs, with one caveat - that Vassa and his team think about taking this solution slightly to the south
Prosit is scalable and customizable
ConsLimited to Canada
October 18, 2011
Suketu S.
October 8, 2011

“Online payroll”

OverallThe system is fantastic. It was simple to set up the few employees and proceses their payroll. I did not have to write or print cheques as the pay was automatically deposited in employees account. The best feature was the remitttance to revenue Canada as I now save penalty fees.
ProsEasy to use. Do not need to keep records. No headache of remittance. I access payroll from anywhere.
ConsWe get the same pay every 2 weeks . .I wish there was one click command to process payroll instead of entering time for employees
October 8, 2011
Mathieu C.
CDO
Consumer Goods, 11-50 employees
July 25, 2018

“From days to minutes to do the payrun”

OverallTime saver
ProsI like that it integrates with TimeSheet and Xero. All our employees punch in TimeSheet, than we export the data to PaymentEvolution. We run the payrun and then it is push to Xero in all the accounts. We save lots of time ! Also great customer service. I've never waited when I called.
ConsIt's a little tricky to start with but with the help of the customer service we fixed everything. We do have a problem now with Xero that we are hoping to get fixed !
July 25, 2018
Ange T.
Global Payroll Manager
Information Technology and Services, 11-50 employees
February 9, 2017

“Makes running your payroll a breeze”

OverallWe have recently transferred our payroll to Payment Evolution and it is a breeze to use. Once you have set up the basics (which is very easy to do) you are away. I am based in New Zealand so am not fully familiar with Canadian payroll legislation/benefits but the team at Payroll Evolution are extremely helpful and explained everything to me in plain English. The reporting is pretty good too and our employees have been blown away with PayChequer. I would definitely recommend this payroll system!
ProsI love having control of our payroll PLUS it tracks vacation!
ConsThe reporting could be better - there are some reports that are only produced in .pdf format. All reports should be downloadable in Excel!

By PaymentEvolution on February 15, 2017
Hi Ange, We are so happy to hear that your employees have been blown away with our PayChequer services and that our payroll has been a breeze! Thank you for your feedback in regards to reporting as well. We will definitely be looking to improve them and make them more accessible.
Alan S.

Helina P.
CFO, Management Consultant
Management Consulting, 11-50 employees
May 12, 2018

“Great Payroll App from an Awesome Company”

OverallEasy payroll runs.
ProsEasy to set up and run payroll. The team is very open to feedback and making the product awesome for its users. Vendor payments are simple too. Integrations with accounting software make our lives easier: no manual journal entries!
ConsStat holiday pay is not handled in the app yet. The data table for entering the payroll hours, etc. for the pay period is clunky and needs to be flipped vertically.
May 12, 2018
Trudy Ann T.
February 28, 2017

“Fairly easy and effortless to use. ”

OverallIt has been really easy for me to use and I have had no experience with this program prior to this. I love how easy generating T4s has been. I worked with the representative to start this account and he was a pleasure to work with.
ConsI would love it if you can also set Corporate Tax submission.
February 28, 2017
Ehsan F.
Director of Product Management
51-200 employees
February 5, 2015

“A fantastic SMB Payroll and HR app”

OverallThis is a fantastic app. It almost replaces a whole accountant for your payroll need and makes you independent. It is extremely user friendly, and doesn't need much CRA/Tax knowledge.
Pros- Easy of use. - Accurate. - Doesn't need much tax knowledge to work with. - Free tier for up to 3 employees.
February 5, 2015
Dan D.
February 15, 2017

“Great help for new business”

OverallVery helpful for a new business. Easy to deal with. Great staff and easy to use software. Would recommend to any new start up.

By PaymentEvolution on February 23, 2017
Hi Dan! We are so happy to hear that you are finding our service helpful! We love working with startups and are grateful that you'd recommend us.
Jean M.
February 24, 2017

“Great and very patient service!”

OverallAlthough we did not quite know what we needed or how to best set up our payroll, and changed course a number of times, our sales executive and PaymentEvolution support worked patiently and efficiently to set us up in the right way! Congratulations!
February 24, 2017
Mohit G.
System Analyst
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
December 18, 2018

“System Analyst”

ProsQuick, easy of use and very user friendly.
ConsDifficult to printing of reports and lack of user manual.
December 18, 2018
Katherine M.
Controlller
March 10, 2018

“AWFUL!! ”

OverallPaychequer and being on the cloud is nice but everything else about the system is horrible. Support is ok but they can never solve the problem because the system is horrible.
ConsEVERYTHING! This software has potential to be a good software but it is lacking a lot. It looks user friendly but when you start looking for basic/accouting reports it lacks a lot. It isn't a trust worthy system. Our company also regrets buying this product for a year. BIG MISTAKE! Looking up reports is a nightmare. Especially when you are trying to create a payroll remittance report for a certain date. Avoid this product.
March 10, 2018
Lisa W.

“great customer service!”

OverallAny time I've had questions the customer service team has always been very helpful and knowledgeable.

By PaymentEvolution on February 17, 2017
Hi Lisa! Thank you so much for the kind words.
Ashley K.
October 7, 2011

“User-friendly payroll solution”

OverallI have been very impressed with the Payment Evolution payroll application. I found it very intuitive and easy to use. It has all of the necessary features to process payroll quickly and accurately. I would definitely recommend this product!
October 7, 2011
Ingrid W.
Medical Office Assistant
Medical Practice, 1-10 employees
February 17, 2017

“Payment Evolution Review ”

Overall We are happy with the overall service Paymentevolution provides with support and questions that arise.
ProsThe support provided by the staff when questions arise

By PaymentEvolution on February 21, 2017
Hi Ingrid. Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that our support has been helpful in making your time with us a breeze!
Gillian C.
Bookkeeper
Events Services, 1-10 employees

“Easy to learn and use”

OverallPayment Evolution is easy to learn and the site is very user-friendly. There are some small quirks when trying to do any unusual payment types but the customer service was helpful in showing me how to navigate around them.
ProsEasy to navigate and process payroll once setup is complete
ConsSome quirks require tricky navigation when doing anything outside regular earnings.

By PaymentEvolution on February 17, 2017
Thank you for your review! we are working hard to iron out the kinks in our service to make navigation much easier. Thank you for the feedback! it is greatly appreciated.
Michael N.