Upper Hand Ratings

Overall

About Upper Hand

Upper Hand business management software automates and streamlines front desk and back office workflows for sports and fitness businesses. Built to help you manage and grow your business, Upper Hand provides all the features and tools needed for you to manage your offerings, like appointments and bookings, classes and events, robust memberships, retail inventory, and more. Tired of your legacy fitness software? Connect with us! Learn more about Upper Hand

Chris Z.
October 31, 2016

“Their support is 2nd to none!”

Overall When I was in the process of considering software programs to power our indoor facility's lesson scheduling I reviewed three different companies. After considering the functionality and going through the original online meeting with the personnel from upper hand it was quite clear to me which would best serve my needs. At the time, I didn't even know how good their support network was but having called upon that several times I can attest that it would have been the number one reason for choosing upper hand.
Pros Their customer support is beyond what you can expect. I reached out to Mike service representative on a Sunday evening recently and she helped me work through an issue that enabled me to find The names of kids on teams in a hitting league. I cannot believe she answered my question on a Sunday evening !!!
Cons It can be a little bit cumbersome for the first time user but once the customers become accustomed to the software and the app, then the problem goes away.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review Chris!
Matt P.
Director of Operations/Lead Hitting Instructor
January 25, 2018

“Tons of potential. Powerful software for what you pay. Needs some tweaking in areas on admin side. ”

ProsThe ability to create events and set a schedule is great. Inviting new clients is easy and from my customer feedback it sounds like registering is a pretty easy process.
ConsOn the admin side there tends to be some areas that take a few too many steps to complete a process. Whether it's changing details in an event, or simply trying to see who is registered for event, it tends to be a much longer process than it should be to retrieve or adjust the information. A quick pull up on the calendar of who the attendee(s) are for an event would be nice. The process to find that information now is quite time consuming and can be frustrating. There's seems to be bugs in random stuff you do. Having events randomly not show up in the calendar can be frustrating. Double booking has never been an issue as the system still reflects the proper availability for an instructor, but on the admin side, I need to see the schedule in full detail.

By Upper Hand on March 17, 2018
Thanks for the feedback, Matt! Since you posted this review, we have solved most of the issues that you have listed! Below are the updates: 1. Easy attendee view from the calendar 2. Simple event check-in drawer 3. Weekly calendar view and customizable calendar columns 4. Ability to "clone" events so that you can easily duplicate/edit existing events We're always working to address bugs as well, so with more specifics on that, we can certainly get them cleaned up. Thanks again for the feedback!
January 25, 2018
Brett L.
Ceo
Sports, Unspecified
May 19, 2017

“ Frustrating ”

ProsI like the concept of what they are trying to do. I really believe there's a need for it and was sold from the beginning from the sales and marketing team who told me everything or software could do. Also their customer service is very good, they have a support team that gets back to you quickly which is always great, but I think they are overwhelmed.
Cons I'm really not one to complain, but this experience has been very frustrating. Like trying to hang onto a greased pig. Especially trying to get to the root of the problem-- it's really difficult to do and feels like you have to fight to get real answers. For every camp or clinic we post, there seems to be some bug that customers can't figure out. And I can't help but feel that the upper hand team is blaming that on the customer or on us rather than taking steps to eliminate recurring confusion. I feel like to the upper hand team, any issues are no big deal as their development team is working to fix them.. but those issues end up being hours and hours for me having to bring those customers back around and get them manually signed up. Additionally, when I was sold on the program, they showed me functionality that would be useful in facets more than just camp sign-ups. Lesson sign-ups, memberships, crm And some others. Just having those would have made the software pay for itself by canceling other software's. However, once we started, we found that those other functionalities did not have the features we needed to be able to use them. I think the software has tons of potential and could be very useful, but I think it needs another one or two years of development with close customer feedback. I don't think it's worth it to pay for it as it is now, I think there are better options. Just my two cents, happy to discuss my experience

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for your review Brett and we are sorry about your experience using Upper Hand. You definitely hit some bugs as we transitioned into a new interface, and we'd love to show you the new platform after implementing your feedback.
May 19, 2017
Sarah A.
Director of Operations
January 28, 2018

“Customer service is second to none. The Upperhand team is knowledgeable and always willing to help.”

ProsAs a small basketball organization, Upperhand software has provided a platform for our clients to register for our training online, as well as schedule their sessions and keep track of their payments. As a result, we have become more organized in tracking the payments we receive. We have also been able to build a database of clients and can streamline our communication with them through the software.
ConsAs with any software, we as an organization have to monitor and update payment and scheduling information through the Upperhand system. For example, if an athlete forgets to schedule his/her training session, we have to go in and manually schedule it for them. Otherwise, their credit will not be deducted from their account.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thank you for the review and your continued support, Sarah!
January 28, 2018
Brian L.
June 29, 2019

“Terrible customer service”

OverallOverall experience has been not good. The concept is great and there are some good things that it does but overall it runs bad. The program is very glitchy and there are alot of bugs. The app also runs horribly. It is not user friendly and can be confusing for clients to sign up and book lessons. The worst part about this companies product is their customer service. It's takes forever for them to respond and their is not 24hr support. They are based on east coast and my Academy is on west coast. I've had major issue come up about their system and I have nobody that can help me. They are also non existent on the weekends. Very very frustrating!
ProsI can have all the profiles of my clients and I loved the idea of the mobile app
ConsHow the software runs and their customer service

By Upper Hand on July 2, 2019
Hi Brian, Thanks for your review, and I'm sorry to hear you feel we've fallen short on our service. We do our best to support customers in all time zones, however, our support is not 24/7, nor do we promote that. We are happy to set up scheduled calls with customers outside of normal support hours and do so frequently. If there is anything else we can do to improve your experience with Upper Hand, please let us know so we can address them as soon as possible. -TW
June 29, 2019
Barry T.
QB Coach
January 24, 2018

“Mostly good, some functions were not intuitively found”

ProsIt allows me, Not be a money collector at my training sessions. I also like the reports. They are becoming increasingly useful

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thank you for the review, Barry!
George N.
Academy Director and Founder
December 5, 2016

“The Support is 2nd to None!”

OverallI wanted to find a software program that would not only free up my time on the soccer field but to offer the convenience for families to schedule and pay for sessions on-line. Their customer service is the #1 reason why I continue to work them as a partner. I specifically work with our rep, who is by far been my right hand person for my business! UpperHand has exceeded my expectations as a partner and I would highly recommend them to anyone.
ProsCamp registration saved us valuable time and money. The ability to pay my trainers directly from the software program. The software and website are easy to navigate internally and the feedback we received from the customer's side has only been positive.
ConsI would like to see the ability to add waiver's online.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review George!
Ronnie G.
Managing Member
November 5, 2016

“Puts administrative tasks in the palm of your hand”

OverallGreat product! It allows you to set things up and get it out to the public in minutes. Your clients have the convenience of registering at any place and on any device.
ProsI can set everything up without having major computer expertise.
ConsThe software offer more flexibility.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review Ronnie!
November 5, 2016
Galen H.
Player Development Coach

“Great Product”

OverallUpper Hand has helped us, EYG Basketball, streamline our registration process as well as improve our organization and bookkeeping. It gives us the ability to set up a variety of training sessions, camps, or clinics, and gives customers the ability to see what fits their schedule. With automatic reminders via email and text messages about upcoming workouts or training, parents can easily remember the schedule.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review and continued support Galen!
Jim L.
February 23, 2018

“Was sold as alternative to Mindbody, far from the truth. ”

ProsSupport service was very good. One of the customer rep helped with sorting things out and was fairly available. From a sales standpoint, they make sure you feel comfortable and are persistent with you.
ConsThis software was sold with many promises that just didn't deliver. Having to pay the annual cost up front should have been a warning sign. We were sold on the concept this was a cheaper/better alternative to Mindbody. We were also sold on the fact we could get rid of our Shopify store. Once we paid, we soon learned the membership feature was still months from completion. We then discovered that replacing Shopify wasn't close to an option. I would have canceled at this point but they had our payment for the year. The disappointing part was we showed them our website, Mindbody site, and all the programs we offered and were told repeatedly Upper Hand could do nearly everything we needed ( or would soon). The membership features poor reports, the app was confusing to customers and was very limited in what we wanted to feature. We ended up using the events feature quite well, but then discovered the only way to provide refunds to send the customers emails to Upper Hand and they would issue refunds. Rather inefficient. It's a shame because they are based right here in Indy and we hoped to support local business. After complaining and asking for some sort of refund, I was told they would only refund the first two months on the year but couldn't refund the last few months of the previous year because "the books were closed". No offer to refund any of our annual payment. It's a shame but at the end of the day, I see we are not alone.

By Upper Hand on March 17, 2018
Hi Jim, We are terribly sorry that you had a poor experience using Upper Hand. I know that upper management has been talking with you to make sure that this all gets resolved amicably. If you could follow up with them, they will make sure that these issues are quickly resolved. Thanks! Upper Hand Team
February 23, 2018
BJ M.
Head of Operations
December 5, 2016

“Great concept, and greater customer support!”

OverallThe concept is great, although the product is still buggy and often undergoing updates and redesigns. The customer service is great, They have gone to great lengths to meet our specific needs, and make up for any shortcomings of the software while the kinks are worked out. Upper Hand saves us a lot of time and makes the registration and payment process seamless for our clients. We will continue to use Upper Hand, and look forward to the new interface being fully integrated!
ProsEase of use.
ConsErrors in registration availability for clients, dual interface system, lack of some capability in a new interface.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review BJ!
Troy S.
Coach
Sports, 11-50 employees
Used the software for: I used a free trial
April 2, 2019

“World Class”

ProsEVERYTHING! This software allows you to do everything. Scheduling, coaching, registering... Love the mobile aspect and having everything at hand.
ConsIf you want everything, its gunna cost ya.
April 2, 2019
Tatum B.
Director of Community and Impacy
January 24, 2018

“So far, so good. Staff is helpful and system is user friendly.”

ProsI like that we can use it to market other events to our families. A family coming on to sign up for basketball clinics might not know that we also have a track team, but on upperhand they can get the full scope of what we offer.
ConsSame thing, but I hate how you have to change the time dial when putting in time of events! I also would love for there to be a text feature!

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review and feedback, Tatum!
Michele T.
Administrator
Sports, Self-employed
October 9, 2017

“Not really as described - Needs more work”

Overallnone - we canceled before going live
ProsStrong concept and truly needed in the management of large clubs. Basically functionality of the system is strong and it was easy to set-up initial events. However, needed to create workarounds to define events like we wanted them set-up.
ConsThe Sales Team oversold the existing functionality that was currently available and we proceeded based on that understanding, paid the initiation fees to later find out key functionality to us was not available. Major pain points included 1) inability to turn off accepting checks 2) generic waivers are built to primarily protect Upper Hand not the client 3) client invite process is cumbersome and add new client lists difficult to customize 4) emails and calls took days to get a response including the email to cancel.

By Upper Hand on March 17, 2018
Michele, We are pleased to announce that all 3 of the product issues that you stated have been addressed. Update below: 1. You can now turn on/off check, cash and credit card payments based on your preferences. 2. We have custom waivers that you can bring in to the system for free. 3. We have and are continuing to improve the client invite process. 4. We have added additional resources to our support team to ensure more timely responses to our customers and their clients. Also, we did end up issuing a full refund to you and closed the loop very amicably. We appreciate you giving us a shot, and hope to have you as a customer in the future!
October 9, 2017
greg h.
ceo
Sports, Self-employed
October 31, 2016

“Awesome product for QB training academy”

Overalli'm extremely happy with the upperhand product. it allows the parents of the QB's i train to purchase and schedule sessions very easily. and it allows me to focus more on training and less administrative tasks.
Prosease of use.
Consdoesn't have an app to access from my smart phone.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review, Greg!
angela m.
Supervisor
Retail, 11-50 employees
November 20, 2018

“Upper Hand”

ProsUpper Hand is the ultimate sports software and really does give you the "upper hand". Ready to use and all the information you need right at your fingertips.
ConsI have nothing negative to say about this software.
November 20, 2018
Zach D.

“More features”

OverallHands down great customer service! Really a fantastic staff all the way around. The program itself is helpful, but I would like it to have more features.
ProsThe ease of payment Good price
ConsNo phone app Not customizable

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thank you for the review, Zach!
Rami K.
Private Trainer
Entertainment, Self-employed
January 11, 2017

“Great Service”

OverallJust had my first strategy call with customer support representative at UpperHand and she was very helpful in answering all my questions and showing me how the software works. I also spoke a few times with an individual named Josh who was so damn persistent at getting me on board, I can't help but feel inspired by his hustle. Highly recommend you join the Upper Hand team to grow your business!
ProsEase of use. Simplify my life.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for your review Rami!
January 11, 2017
Kayla G.
Goalkeeper Coach
Higher Education, 1001-5000 employees
March 14, 2018

“I've had great experience from walk-through demo conference calls, to phone calls and more.”

ProsI like that company really cares about you and the business that you are running. They want to see you succeed. They are professional, relate-able, and are willing to help you any way that they can. The software is easy to implement for the administrator as well as for clients. Upper Hand provides an easy to use, mobile friendly system to take your business to the next level.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thank you for the review, Kayla!
March 14, 2018
Eric K.
December 16, 2016

“Great product. Always improving and awesome customer support!”

OverallAs my business grew, I was looking for a solution to manage it more efficiently. I looked at a number of different options but Upper Hand was the only solution that was "all in one" for a private coach like myself. The support is awesome. They are always listening and looking to make things work for the customer. I'm excited for my business to grow with Upper Hand.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for your review Eric!
December 16, 2016
Jim B.
December 8, 2016

“Well worth the Investment”

OverallThe support from the top down has been tremendous. Always accommodating and a whatever we can do for you attitude. A rarity today.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review, Coach Ballard!
December 8, 2016
Mike G.
December 5, 2016

“Excellent Program and Customer Service ”

OverallWe utilize Upperhand for all camp and team registration. They provide excellent customer service to both us and our customers if need.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thanks for the review Mike!
Angela A.
Graphic Designer
January 26, 2018

“Pretty easy to use. No issues so far”

OverallI have only used this software for a very short time. I am using it mainly to schedule my upcoming classes.
ProsOne of the pros is that it is super easy to use. It is very user friendly. I can access it from my desk top and my mobile which makes it very convenient.

By Upper Hand on May 24, 2018
Thank you for the review, Angela!!
January 26, 2018